You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man:
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Yes, the funeral in in Chester. It would be great to meet up again Wes but unfortunately I can't this time. I'm taking my Mum, Sister and Aunt up there.
    Posted by Jac35
    No worries pal, just thought I'd ask just in case! 

Are you planning to go to the next UKPC at all? I'm undecided yet - I really hope they announce an SPT for next year at some point!
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : No worries pal, just thought I'd ask just in case!  Are you planning to go to the next UKPC at all? I'm undecided yet - I really hope they announce an SPT for next year at some point!
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Pretty sure I'll be at the UKPC. The mains too much for me and to be honest I'd most likely take the cash if I got to the £220 sat. I'll play the mini though. Can just about stand the £250.

I'd love an Spt announcement as well but sadly I think that they're gone for good.
    Don't know whether I've ever mentioned it before but I'm the reigning SPT Birmingham winner :)
  • edited November 2014
    Got sleep last night! 7 hours
    Feel great. 

Off to Lon-Don (Hot Fuzz voice required)  in 30 minutes. Looks like we've picked a lovely weekend for it. Unsuccessful in trying to convince Mrs J that stopping off on way to watch the Mighty Rams destroy Watford at Vicarage Road would be great for morale.
    As a Northerner I was a little shocked at prices of things down there. As a hotel resident we get 25% off the car park. And it's still gonna cost £30 for 24 hours! That's an annual permit up my way.

Decided on playing live tomorrow night when I get back. In good books so may as well take advantage :)
    Just a £30 rebuy but should be fun. Hopefully I'll have enough cash to pay for the addon. Largely depends on how mad Mrs J goes with shopping today.

• edited November 2014
    Have fun and good luck at the tourney! I wonder if I should try playing live again, hated it last time but that was years ago!
  • edited November 2014
    Got sleep last night! 7 hours Feel great.  Off to Lon-Don (Hot Fuzz voice required)  in 30 minutes. Looks like we've picked a lovely weekend for it. Unsuccessful in trying to convince Mrs J that stopping off on way to watch the Mighty Rams destroy Watford at Vicarage Road would be great for morale. As a Northerner I was a little shocked at prices of things down there. As a hotel resident we get 25% off the car park. And it's still gonna cost £30 for 24 hours! That's an annual permit up my way. Decided on playing live tomorrow night when I get back. In good books so may as well take advantage :) Just a £30 rebuy but should be fun. Hopefully I'll have enough cash to pay for the addon. Largely depends on how mad Mrs J goes with shopping today.
    Posted by Jac35

Enjoy London Pal and good luck tomorrow with the tourney.

• edited November 2014
    Got sleep last night! 7 hours Feel great.  Off to Lon-Don (Hot Fuzz voice required)  in 30 minutes. Looks like we've picked a lovely weekend for it. Unsuccessful in trying to convince Mrs J that stopping off on way to watch the Mighty Rams destroy Watford at Vicarage Road would be great for morale. As a Northerner I was a little shocked at prices of things down there. As a hotel resident we get 25% off the car park. And it's still gonna cost £30 for 24 hours! That's an annual permit up my way. Decided on playing live tomorrow night when I get back. In good books so may as well take advantage :) Just a £30 rebuy but should be fun. Hopefully I'll have enough cash to pay for the addon. Largely depends on how mad Mrs J goes with shopping today.
    Posted by Jac35
    Who you trying to kid? You ain't northern!
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Pretty sure I'll be at the UKPC. The mains too much for me and to be honest I'd most likely take the cash if I got to the £220 sat. I'll play the mini though. Can just about stand the £250. I'd love an Spt announcement as well but sadly I think that they're gone for good. Don't know whether I've ever mentioned it before but I'm the reigning SPT Birmingham winner :)
    Posted by Jac35
    That was the DYM leg yeah? ;)

Best wishes to you and yours, and RIP uncle jacko x

Oh, how much is your weekly fuel bill driving Harry around in that big lump of junk you bought all night.....
  • edited November 2014
    We had a good time. Today was unfortunately a bit of a wash out, we came home early as the rain was torrential. 
    Saturday was brilliant though cuz Derby won :)

London was pretty decent too. The forecast rain didn't happen.  The hotel waa in Marble Arch, 100 yards from Oxford Street. Mrs J did her shopping and after searching through our pockets we came to the conclusion that we has enough money left over for a meal and the theatre. We had compromised last week on Thriller. She wanted to see Wicked, no chance, and I wanted to see The Commitments. Due to a couple of things happening we didn't get round to booking as we weren't sure that we could go.
    Great result when we tried to get tickets.  Thriller sold out but tickets for The Commitments available. Got the tickets and went for a fantastic meal. The show was great and a knackered me pushed Mrs J back to the hotel. 
    8 hours sleep this time.  Awesome! 

We were put into a couple of uncomfortable spots.
    We've come a long way now and disabled people are treated so much better than they used to be.
    The car park hy the hotel had only 3 disabled spaces. I rung in advance and the chap on the end of the phone said he would cone off one of the spaces for us. Thought it was unlikely to happen but he was good to his word.The hotel insta upgraded us to one of the biggest rooms they had. Yeah, we'll have that. It makes sense with the wheelchair. 
    The guy at the theatre asked usvif we'd like the best seats in the house for £67 rather than the usual £175 for the pair. A moments thought and we took him up on the offer.
    This morning was a bit different. There was a queue of around 30 minutes for the breakfast. Would we like to come straight through?  Very kind but no. Absolutely no reason why we should go ahead of everyone. Mrs J is quite comfortable there's just no reason why we should go ahead of everyone. 

Sometimes these things can be justified but a lot of the time Companies are just scared that we'll claim discrimination. I can understand the theatre one. The seats were the most accessible. Also,  the carer may not be interested in the show but just there for ghe disabled person. Not complaining but there's no reason why we should get the tickets for less than half price though. The breakfast one was just silly. 

Great time was had overall.  Now I just need to win the rebuy thats just started to pay for it all.

Run good

• edited November 2014
    Well I didn't win the rebuy but I had a load of beer and won a few quid.
    As is standard with me though, i'll have a little whinge.

Comp I played well early on but was a big rubbish after that. I dwindled down to 14bigs and was happy to call an all in and a call with AQ in the sb. Flopped the ace but Wadey got there with a 4flush. He had KK so no real complaints.

Sat down at cash and ran golden for 30 minutes. Had an interesting hand straight away.
    I raised to £8 with AQ and got 2 calls. Flop was Q 4 3 rainbow. Check, check and  I bet £15. 1 call. Turn 10, check and I bet £35. Good player then shoves for around £170. Think he's totally polarised. Set of of 2's 3's or nothing at all. Tanked then called it off. He more or less mucked before the river was dealt and I had a stack.
    Made a full house on river shortly afterwards for a big pot and I was sitting pretty on £730

Then had a hand where it has to go in. Flatted a £7 raise on button with 68 hearts. Bb raises to £20 and we all call. Flop is 79 hearts and a 2. It checks to me and I bet £50. Bb clicks it back. Not folding here, I put him in. He snaps and it bricks out. £640 pot :(.

Was a big card dead after that and also had a few 2nd best hands. 

Ended up about £70 up overall including beer and comp buy in.

Good night
    Just remembered. Had a new dealer who really got on my titts. After every single hand he made a point of saying "nice hand Sir" loudly. Now I normally tip well but I decided quickly that he wasn't getting a penny out of me.

• edited November 2014
    Well I didn't win the rebuy but I had a load of beer and won a few quid. As is standard with me though, i'll have a little whinge. Comp I played well early on but was a big rubbish after that. I dwindled down to 14bigs and was happy to call an all in and a call with AQ in the sb. Flopped the ace but Wadey got there with a 4flush. He had KK so no real complaints. Sat down at cash and ran golden for 30 minutes. Had an interesting hand straight away. I raised to £8 with AQ and got 2 calls. Flop was Q 4 3 rainbow. Check, check and  I bet £15. 1 call. Turn 10, check and I bet £35. Good player then shoves for around £170. Think he's totally polarised. Set of of 2's 3's or nothing at all. Tanked then called it off. He more or less mucked before the river was dealt and I had a stack. Made a full house on river shortly afterwards for a big pot and I was sitting pretty on £730 Then had a hand where it has to go in. Flatted a £7 raise on button with 68 hearts. Bb raises to £20 and we all call. Flop is 79 hearts and a 2. It checks to me and I bet £50. Bb clicks it back. Not folding here, I put him in. He snaps and it bricks out. £640 pot :(. Was a big card dead after that and also had a few 2nd best hands.  Ended up about £70 up overall including beer and comp buy in. Good night ... Just remembered. Had a new dealer who really got on my titts. After every single hand he made a point of saying "nice hand Sir" loudly. Now I normally tip well but I decided quickly that he wasn't getting a penny out of me.
    Posted by Jac35
    Nice post Sir!
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Nice post Sir!
    Posted by gazza127
    :)
  • edited November 2014
    Well I didn't win the rebuy but I had a load of beer and won a few quid. As is standard with me though, i'll have a little whinge. Comp I played well early on but was a big rubbish after that. I dwindled down to 14bigs and was happy to call an all in and a call with AQ in the sb. Flopped the ace but Wadey got there with a 4flush. He had KK so no real complaints. Sat down at cash and ran golden for 30 minutes. Had an interesting hand straight away. I raised to £8 with AQ and got 2 calls. Flop was Q 4 3 rainbow. Check, check and  I bet £15. 1 call. Turn 10, check and I bet £35. Good player then shoves for around £170. Think he's totally polarised. Set of of 2's 3's or nothing at all. Tanked then called it off. He more or less mucked before the river was dealt and I had a stack. Made a full house on river shortly afterwards for a big pot and I was sitting pretty on £730 Then had a hand where it has to go in. Flatted a £7 raise on button with 68 hearts. Bb raises to £20 and we all call. Flop is 79 hearts and a 2. It checks to me and I bet £50. Bb clicks it back. Not folding here, I put him in. He snaps and it bricks out. £640 pot :(. Was a big card dead after that and also had a few 2nd best hands.  Ended up about £70 up overall including beer and comp buy in. Good night ... Just remembered. Had a new dealer who really got on my titts. After every single hand he made a point of saying "nice hand Sir" loudly. Now I normally tip well but I decided quickly that he wasn't getting a penny out of me.
    Posted by Jac35
    You tight southern twa...
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : You tight southern twa...
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Slightly tongue in cheek Mr Nasty

We don't belong. We're waayyyy up North it seems to any Londoners (hello Cpfc)
    To anyone from Sheffield upwards we're Southerners.
    Can't we just be nice  people from the Midlands?

I had a moment last night and started looking at BB&V for the first time in ages. 
    Usual faces plus a few newcomers. 
    Just amazing stuff. I remember Tikay saying that he'd like to sit down one day and have a chat with these people. I think I'd be interested in doing this as well. I feel it would be a waste of time unfortunately. Their minds are set.
    The really baffling bit for me is that they continue to play poker. We all have a grumble from time to time but if playing made me that unhappy, I'd find a new hobby.

I'm not impressed with Tony right now. He brought to my intention the 'rigged' thread on another forum. I rarely go on there but I know I'm really going to struggle to resist reading the whole thread through.

Penny back at work after maternity leave. Got the boy all day today. Wish me luck
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Slightly tongue in cheek Mr Nasty We don't belong. We're waayyyy up North it seems to any Londoners (hello Cpfc) To anyone from Sheffield upwards we're Southerners. Can't we just be nice  people from the Midlands? ..... I had a moment last night and started looking at BB&V for the first time in ages.  Usual faces plus a few newcomers.  Just amazing stuff. I remember Tikay saying that he'd like to sit down one day and have a chat with these people. I think I'd be interested in doing this as well. I feel it would be a waste of time unfortunately. Their minds are set. The really baffling bit for me is that they continue to play poker. We all have a grumble from time to time but if playing made me that unhappy, I'd find a new hobby. I'm not impressed with Tony right now. He brought to my intention the 'rigged' thread on another forum. I rarely go on there but I know I'm really going to struggle to resist reading the whole thread through. ..... Penny back at work after maternity leave. Got the boy all day today. Wish me luck
    Posted by Jac35

Can we wish him luck instead?! ;) 
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Slightly tongue in cheek Mr Nasty We don't belong. We're waayyyy up North it seems to any Londoners (hello Cpfc) To anyone from Sheffield upwards we're Southerners. Can't we just be nice  people from the Midlands? ..... I had a moment last night and started looking at BB&V for the first time in ages.  Usual faces plus a few newcomers.  Just amazing stuff. I remember Tikay saying that he'd like to sit down one day and have a chat with these people. I think I'd be interested in doing this as well. I feel it would be a waste of time unfortunately. Their minds are set. The really baffling bit for me is that they continue to play poker. We all have a grumble from time to time but if playing made me that unhappy, I'd find a new hobby. I'm not impressed with Tony right now. He brought to my intention the 'rigged' thread on another forum. I rarely go on there but I know I'm really going to struggle to resist reading the whole thread through. ..... Penny back at work after maternity leave. Got the boy all day today. Wish me luck
    Posted by Jac35
    Ha!

I've no idea how many hours I've wasted reading that thread on 2+2, I'm sort of drawn to it, day after day.

I could say so many things, but it is just jaw-dropping stuff.

So many things I can't even BEGIN to understand about the way people's minds work, & "internet psychology" generally.

The Sky Poker BB&V Board is much the same. I wake up every day thinking "hope there is no more nonsense", but there generally is.

Another bizarre one ovenight, about SNG's being "rigged" to finish quickly. (The Gent has played around 500 of them).

I composed a wonderful retort, essentially "let's examine some facts", but thankfully, I resisted Posting it. 

• edited November 2014
    You and the boy
    gl to you both

• edited November 2014
    Bloody hate Leeds
    Load of family round for dinner today. Nephew seems really keen to see his Aunt and Uncle at the moment. I'm sure it's purely coincidental that I foolishly agreed to download Minecraft on the PS4 for him the other week.
    Got some stupid eye infection. Pretty mardy about it. Never get them normally. I look ridiculous.
    Hardly played at all recently. Remember going out the rebuy on Wednesday with Aces v 8's aipf. Nearly posted that in BB&V under a "WTF SKY" title but somebody else got there first.

Made a smart decision the other night on returning from the pub to multitable 50 and 100nl. Played for 5 hours. Lost with AA and KK 3 times each  plus AK v K9 aipf twice. I mean WTF SKY!
    In truth though I played really spewy fir the most part. I think my earlier play got me a call in one hand where I had a set and got called off on the river by one pair. That helped a bit as it was a £270 pot.
    Bit of an escape to only lose about £50 in the end. It was a lot worse at one point.

Loads of points though :)

Fancy playing the roller tonight. Not sure if I'll be able to yet.

Gl all playing today
  • edited November 2014
    I seem to remember you cracking my aces with Q9 the other night ;)
  • edited November 2014
    I seem to remember you cracking my aces with Q9 the other night ;)
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    :)
    Yeah, that was me at my worst. Bit embarrassing to play the way I did with someone I knew there!

I recall you got me back though :)
    AA v A10 springs to mind. I waa in my non believing mood at the time
  • edited December 2014
    Crazy night.
    Hourly is not good but right now I feel like I've won the roller.

Decided on the spur of the moment to have a proper solid month for once. Thought if I could get off to a flyer then it might encourage me to carry on.
    Started at 6.45 and just finished. Things didn't  go to plan and I was down £133 at one point and had about £150 worth of games regged. My account looked unpleasant.
    Ran really bad for a while as can happen at these.  Then won 8 out of my last 9 games and  now scope has me at 50p up on the night :)
    Chuck in 1032 Rakeback points and I'm a winner!!!

Only played 43 games in all that time. Avg stake £19.65. Played a little cash as well and a couple of mtts.

Should have enough points to make the freeroll tomorrow if there is one :)

• edited December 2014
    Anyone able to help?

Can only play 6 tables at a time since the new software came in. Too much lag if I go any more than that. So want a new laptop so I can play a few more tables.
    It has to be a laptop. Don't want a pc. Will be used purely for poker. Looking to spend up to £400. Is that enough?

I know there's been threads about this kind of thing before but from memory they were for PCs.
  • edited December 2014
    Bloody hate Leeds ... Load of family round for dinner today. Nephew seems really keen to see his Aunt and Uncle at the moment. I'm sure it's purely coincidental that I foolishly agreed to download Minecraft on the PS4 for him the other week. ... Got some stupid eye infection. Pretty mardy about it. Never get them normally. I look ridiculous. ... Hardly played at all recently. Remember going out the rebuy on Wednesday with Aces v 8's aipf. Nearly posted that in BB&V under a "WTF SKY" title but somebody else got there first. Made a smart decision the other night on returning from the pub to multitable 50 and 100nl. Played for 5 hours. Lost with AA and KK 3 times each  plus AK v K9 aipf twice. I mean WTF SKY! In truth though I played really spewy fir the most part. I think my earlier play got me a call in one hand where I had a set and got called off on the river by one pair. That helped a bit as it was a £270 pot. Bit of an escape to only lose about £50 in the end. It was a lot worse at one point. Loads of points though :) Fancy playing the roller tonight. Not sure if I'll be able to yet. Gl all playing today
    Posted by Jac35
    :D
  • edited December 2014
    Anyone able to help? Can only play 6 tables at a time since the new software came in. Too much lag if I go any more than that. So want a new laptop so I can play a few more tables. It has to be a laptop. Don't want a pc. Will be used purely for poker. Looking to spend up to £400. Is that enough? I know there's been threads about this kind of thing before but from memory they were for PCs.
    Posted by Jac35
    Hi jac

Ram would be the most important get something with 8gb of ram 6 should be fine. I5 intel processor or i7 would be fine. Also you could get an external monitor so that you can fit more tables on it as well.

Hope this helps.
  • edited December 2014

Thanks Stu   and everyone else for your assistance :)
    Went and got the laptop today. Ticks the boxes I believe. The chap in the shop played poker and so knew exactly what I was after. It had £150 off it as well so most pleased.

Tried it out and I wish i'd got it sooner. Can 10 table with ease.

Just played those 10 games tonight. Wanted to see what it was like. Played the turbo and 9 Dyms. Much better night than last night. Won around £50.

After the funeral I was emailed a copy of my Uncles memoirs. Really interesting read for me even if I do have to look up a few words in the dictionary. He led a very full life.

• edited December 2014
    Nice work Paul
    Played for 10 minutes last night whilst heavily drunk. Won £50 at cash.
    Played for 8 hours today stone sober and lost £153!

Today started off pretty averagely in truth. We were lucky enough to get a Venture photo thing as a gift. Today was the day for our shoot.
    "Can't you just take our picture?"
    "Oh no, we do special shots of you playing naturally with Harry"
    "Can't you just take our picture?"

We go back next week to get our 1 free pic. Then, no doubt Penny will want to buy the whole lot!

With this in mind I thought that I may as well have a bash at the SNG promotion. I'd already planned to put in volume this month and so today seemed like a good day for it.

If and it's a big if, I have made enough points (1110) then I shall have the remarkable return of -£20 for my 8 hours work when you factor in a bit of rakeback at the end of the month.  Marv!

Lost a fair few flips but that's always going to happen. Can handle those. It's more that my game is not good right now. I've always felt that I get a bit lucky to make a few quid from time to time at mtts. Dyms however, I've always felt very comfortable at. Not so much at the moment. I'm making lots of mistakes.

Going to something I don't  do enough of and go through my hh's.

Right, knackered. Going bed
  • edited December 2014
    1110 ~ Close but no banana :(
  • edited December 2014
    1110 ~ Close but no banana :(
    Posted by mrsduck
    Yeah, just seen it.
    Nevermind, It's the taking part that counts :)
  • edited December 2014
    Sorry to be the one who pipped you to the post. I did put in an unhealthy amount of hours yesterday an played something like 200 hypers if that makes you feel any better 
  • edited December 2014
    We were lucky enough to get a Venture photo thing as a gift. Today was the day for our shoot. "Can't you just take our picture?" "Oh no, we do special shots of you playing naturally with Harry" "Can't you just take our picture?" We go back next week to get our 1 free pic. Then, no doubt Penny will want to buy the whole lot! 
    Posted by Jac35
    Lucky might not be the right word when you see how much they charge for any others that you want.
    They are extortionately expensive in my opinion.
    Good luck.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Lucky might not be the right word when you see how much they charge for any others that you want. They are extortionately expensive in my opinion. Good luck.
    Posted by dragon1964
    It was tongue in cheek mate. 
    Hated absolutely every moment of it as I expected I would. 
    As you say, the prices are scandalous.  I've banned Penny from going to the viewing. Otherwise,  she'll spend money we haven't got when it could be better used going on the important stuff. Beer, cigs, poker, football,  golf sticks etc