You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited December 2014
    Jac, you left out Beeshoney, who is possibly my favourite Sky person after Rainman.

He has never been north of Watford, and is probably surprised that, up north, we allow people like Samantha25 out on her own. And his alias is nothing to do with the Billie Piper classic, Honey To The Bee. Surprising, I know.

Apparently it's 'rhyming slang' for money. Why can't people just call a spade, a spade?
  • edited December 2014
    Nice post Daddy Jac :) 

For once zero sarcasm needed.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man:
    Jac, you left out Beeshoney, who is possibly my favourite Sky person after Rainman. He has never been north of Watford, and is probably surprised that, up north, we allow people like Samantha25 out on her own. And his alias is nothing to do with the Billie Piper classic, Honey To The Bee. Surprising, I know. Apparently it's 'rhyming slang' for money. Why can't people just call a spade, a spade?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

I too am a lil bit in love with "The Rainman" I would even go to non league swearing if he made me ;) 

Meh, I thought bees was a girl when I signed them up :) we always have you to fill that girls blouse tho H!

• edited December 2014
    Rather have The Outlaws round at Xmas than the In-Laws <3
  • edited January 2015
    Happy New Year to everyone 
  • edited January 2015
    Happy New Year Paul.

I've only just caught up with your posts and agree 100% with your assessment of the Outlaws, it was a great post.

I've added a bit to the Outlaws team thread today but perhaps you could put some of the your post in it too. I don't like the fact that others will think that all we do as a team is swear and abuse people at the tables, because the swearing and abuse is pretty much kept in house and private and its all in jest anyway. As my old dad used to say you can call someone all the names under the sun as long as you do it with a smile on your face! 
  • edited January 2015
    Well that's me done for the foreseeable future.

I did a big withdrawal this morning and in true MrsDuck fashion put my whole bankroll into the roller, the mini and the £55b/h
    I'd also qualified for the £220 sat for the UKPC

Plan was anything I won would be my new bankroll and if, as I thought the most likely, I bricked the lot, i'd pack in for a while.

As expected I've just bust all 4,  within about 10 minutes of each other. No complaints with the exits.

Sat exit was  bad on my part.
    Roller, I shoved about 12bigs and got looked up by AQ. Flopped an up and down and turned a flush draw but didn't get there.
    Mini, I can't remember
    £55B/H was a bit rough. 3bet shoved QQ and got called by AQ . 10 high flop followed by J turn and K river. In JimmyRiddle style, I kind of expected the K to fall.

The last couple of months have been tough.

I play poker to hopefully make a few quid and enjoy myself.
    Losing and not enjoying myself makes it a pretty rubbish hobby at the moment

I've totally lost my way recently with the game and have a bit of life stuff going on as well.
    I have played pretty much every day for the last few years and need a break. Plenty of books to catch up on and golf to play and beer to drink.

The games been really kind to me over the last few years and this is my first downswing. I still love poker to bits but it's not good starting sessions and wondering how much i'm going to lose. Time to step away for a while.

I'm definitely gong to still play the UKPC mini and go to Newcastle but online I need a break.

The very best of luck to everyone.
  • edited January 2015
    Gl jac.

Enjoy the break,  hope things turn around for you.
  • edited January 2015
    Shame to hear this news buddy but a nice break I think will be really good for you.
    Then hopefully you come back ready and fresh to hit the tables.
    Ive heard rumours about this Newcastle trip. Is anyone invited?
  • edited January 2015
    Shame to hear this news buddy but a nice break I think will be really good for you. Then hopefully you come back ready and fresh to hit the tables. Ive heard rumours about this Newcastle trip. Is anyone invited?
    Posted by TimmyRaRa
    Timmy, if I'm invited then I think its open to all ;)

Take a well deserved break Jackson. I've seen first hand how unpleasant you've been running and it can't be much fun to take beat after beat in big games.

I reckon come back to the tables when Derby are midtable.....so see you in 2 weeks.
  • edited January 2015
    Well that's me done for the foreseeable future. I did a big withdrawal this morning and in true MrsDuck fashion put my whole bankroll into the roller, the mini and the £55b/h I'd also qualified for the £220 sat for the UKPC Plan was anything I won would be my new bankroll and if, as I thought the most likely, I bricked the lot, i'd pack in for a while. As expected I've just bust all 4,  within about 10 minutes of each other. No complaints with the exits. Sat exit was  bad on my part. Roller, I shoved about 12bigs and got looked up by AQ. Flopped an up and down and turned a flush draw but didn't get there. Mini, I can't remember £55B/H was a bit rough. 3bet shoved QQ and got called by AQ . 10 high flop followed by J turn and K river. In JimmyRiddle style, I kind of expected the K to fall. The last couple of months have been tough. I play poker to hopefully make a few quid and enjoy myself. Losing and not enjoying myself makes it a pretty rubbish hobby at the moment I've totally lost my way recently with the game and have a bit of life stuff going on as well. I have played pretty much every day for the last few years and need a break. Plenty of books to catch up on and golf to play and beer to drink. The games been really kind to me over the last few years and this is my first downswing. I still love poker to bits but it's not good starting sessions and wondering how much i'm going to lose. Time to step away for a while. I'm definitely gong to still play the UKPC mini and go to Newcastle but online I need a break. The very best of luck to everyone.
    Posted by Jac35
    I do wonder sometimes about how we coincidentally started threads with very similar names and I see posts like this which are just spread all over my diary!

Are we related?
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Timmy, if I'm invited then I think its open to all ;) Take a well deserved break Jackson. I've seen first hand how unpleasant you've been running and it can't be much fun to take beat after beat in big games. I reckon come back to the tables when Derby are midtable.....so see you in 2 weeks.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Ha Ha nice this sounds like it will a quality event.
    Finally meet some Sky LEGENDS.
  • edited January 2015
    Alright mate - sorry to hear you're on a downswing but you have been here before and you will come out of it as always!

Not a bad idea to take a bit of a break though and come back refreshed.  Hopefully, see you back at the tables soon mate.

• edited January 2015

Hope the break does you good, Paul, & you will soon be back, bashing us up.

If you fancy some fun poker - as opposed to grinding with the serious heads - the PLO8 DYM's are always good fun, & I'll reserve a seat especially for you.....

God willing, will see you - &, it seems so many others - at the UKPC Mini. Should be a proper party, that.

• edited January 2015
    I'll miss you! :'(
    But a break is a good idea, hope you are back soon xx
  • edited January 2015
    If you are not enjoying it or earning from it (albeit I am sure both are short term issues) then definitely time for a break.

You have access to many better players than me, so use them if you need to bounce any poker ideas around.

Hope the buzz is back soon as you will definitely be missed around here.

GL
  • edited January 2015
    I have recently returned after being stuck in a poker rut. Like yourself, I had played most nights for 3 yrs and I had simply stopped enjoying playing. I took a month off and can honestly say it worked for me, I came back with renewed enthusiasm.

A break is definitely the right thing.......but hope to see you back soon.
  • edited January 2015

Enjoy the break Jacco. 

If you do fancy a game over the next few weeks maybe flick £20 on another site for a nights worth of games (you get alot of dollars for that much quids!). 

Sky is great but it can turn into a real slog at times with the way alot of the games are. 

Change as good as a rest apparently. 

• edited January 2015
    Only just catching up with diaries after being away from the forums - love that post about Bully and I hope there are more anecdotes like that which you'll add to this thread even if your break from poker runs for a long time!

I'm not sure your other long post had this intention, but I sort of feel as though I ought to use a lot more swearwords in the chatbox now, like I'm somehow failing my (poker) team on that front....

Unlike with my football team, where my swearing quota has been 1978-80 Clough-era standard over the past couple of months... at the moment, anything better than 5-0 will be a bonus on derby day :(
  • edited January 2015
    Well that's me done for the foreseeable future. I did a big withdrawal this morning and in true MrsDuck fashion put my whole bankroll into the roller, the mini and the £55b/h I'd also qualified for the £220 sat for the UKPC Plan was anything I won would be my new bankroll and if, as I thought the most likely, I bricked the lot, i'd pack in for a while. As expected I've just bust all 4,  within about 10 minutes of each other. No complaints with the exits. Sat exit was  bad on my part. Roller, I shoved about 12bigs and got looked up by AQ. Flopped an up and down and turned a flush draw but didn't get there. Mini, I can't remember £55B/H was a bit rough. 3bet shoved QQ and got called by AQ . 10 high flop followed by J turn and K river. In JimmyRiddle style, I kind of expected the K to fall. The last couple of months have been tough. I play poker to hopefully make a few quid and enjoy myself. Losing and not enjoying myself makes it a pretty rubbish hobby at the moment I've totally lost my way recently with the game and have a bit of life stuff going on as well. I have played pretty much every day for the last few years and need a break. Plenty of books to catch up on and golf to play and beer to drink. The games been really kind to me over the last few years and this is my first downswing. I still love poker to bits but it's not good starting sessions and wondering how much i'm going to lose. Time to step away for a while. I'm definitely gong to still play the UKPC mini and go to Newcastle but online I need a break. The very best of luck to everyone.
    Posted by Jac35
    HNY Paul

you are a DYM legend
    and pretty good with mtts as well - but you cannot take the variance
    i gave you some pointers for dealing with that a while back but to no effect unfortunately
    knowing that you mustn't do a ducky and punt most of your bankroll on a few mtts
    brm is the key to enjoying mtt life if the variance o/w gets you down
    enjoy your break if you must but not too long please
    and try to stay out of team politics. when the proverbial starts flying just duck, you're way too nice to be involved

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : HNY Paul you are a DYM legend and pretty good with mtts as well - but you cannot take the variance i gave you some pointers for dealing with that a while back but to no effect unfortunately knowing that you mustn't do a ducky and punt most of your bankroll on a few mtts brm is the key to enjoying mtt life if the variance o/w gets you down enjoy your break if you must but not too long please and try to stay out of team politics. when the proverbial starts flying just duck, you're way too nice to be involved
    Posted by GELDY
    that harry is so quick isn't he? 
    although it was "just duck" that prompted your comment!

• edited January 2015
    Ooooh that must hurt Jac a piercing pain ;-)
  • edited January 2015
    Just thought that I might do one post.

Based on winning 3 out of 4 Dyms in the early hours of Sunday morning, I decided that I was back to winning ways and so I played the £30 rebuy at Derby last night.
    Comp was uneventful and I bust fairly early. I sat down at cash and won a flip 1st hand with AKss v a chap who had QQ and bought it in for the minimum £50. I played a hand a little later on which has since been confirmed to me to be terrible. I thought at the time it was horrendous. I was most drunk at the time but that's no excuse, i'm just the worst at the moment.

I raised to £7 in the cutoff playing £260. Good player who I don't like and he doesn't like me 3bet to £22 from the button. I decide to 4bet to £51 and he flats. Flop is Q J 3 rainbow and I lead for £46 and get a call. Turn is a 9 and I don't like my options. He is gong to take it away from me if I check. My stack is gross to bet/fold/ So, wit picking up some extra outs I decide to jam.

He calls

Now. I think that there's a chance that i'm behind here :)
    But I guess that I could hit a K or a J or a 10. Now I would really like to hit one of these cards. His opening line of the night said with no humour whatsoever was that he's just come from Dtd and played with the real Paul Jackson and now he was playing with the Fake one.

River.... K

He show his AQ and launches into how he'd outplayed me and how I'm so golden. I don't say a word and quietly tip the dealer. I really wish that i'd done what somebody suggested to me and jumped to my feet shouting "BOOM!!! Justice" :)

Everything he said was true. i'd been outplayed and I do run golden v him. Nevermind eh, I like winning £520 pots however badly I play them.

It's been quite strange not playing poker. I've done normal people things. I've read my books and watched some tv. It's all been quite nice actually. I'm going to play a little bit from here on but still don't plan to play much. My game is still dreadful. Don't really know whats happened but I need to slowly work my way back in.
    Captain Tash had persuaded me to play the DTDs tonight and they're probably a good starting point and will be fun.

We now have Harry walking. He's pretty much gone from crawling to walking overnight. Babies are bloomin expensive. Had to spend £300 on 2 new car seats yesterday. Worth every penny though. House is being valued today. Mrs J wants to move to another area as the school catchment areas have changed. I'm hoping that our house is worth at least as much as we paid for it 7 years ago. Really don't know if that will be the case.

You may have noticed that I haven't mentioned the Mighty Rams :)

Just this one post I think unless I do well in the DTDs and have something to brag about. Just this one post then :)

Run well all (except hhyfdtr, he's an idiot who can do one)
  • edited January 2015
    Just thought that I might do one post. Based on winning 3 out of 4 Dyms in the early hours of Sunday morning, I decided that I was back to winning ways and so I played the £30 rebuy at Derby last night. Comp was uneventful and I bust fairly early. I sat down at cash and won a flip 1st hand with AKss v a chap who had QQ and bought it in for the minimum £50. I played a hand a little later on which has since been confirmed to me to be terrible. I thought at the time it was horrendous. I was most drunk at the time but that's no excuse, i'm just the worst at the moment. I raised to £7 in the cutoff playing £260. Good player who I don't like and he doesn't like me 3bet to £22 from the button. I decide to 4bet to £51 and he flats. Flop is Q J 3 rainbow and I lead for £46 and get a call. Turn is a 9 and I don't like my options. He is gong to take it away from me if I check. My stack is gross to bet/fold/ So, wit picking up some extra outs I decide to jam. He calls Now. I think that there's a chance that i'm behind here :) But I guess that I could hit a K or a J or a 10. Now I would really like to hit one of these cards. His opening line of the night said with no humour whatsoever was that he's just come from Dtd and played with the real Paul Jackson and now he was playing with the Fake one. River.... K He show his AQ and launches into how he'd outplayed me and how I'm so golden. I don't say a word and quietly tip the dealer. I really wish that i'd done what somebody suggested to me and jumped to my feet shouting "BOOM!!! Justice" :) Everything he said was true. i'd been outplayed and I do run golden v him. Nevermind eh, I like winning £520 pots however badly I play them. ..... It's been quite strange not playing poker. I've done normal people things. I've read my books and watched some tv. It's all been quite nice actually. I'm going to play a little bit from here on but still don't plan to play much. My game is still dreadful. Don't really know whats happened but I need to slowly work my way back in. Captain Tash had persuaded me to play the DTDs tonight and they're probably a good starting point and will be fun. ...... We now have Harry walking. He's pretty much gone from crawling to walking overnight. Babies are bloomin expensive. Had to spend £300 on 2 new car seats yesterday. Worth every penny though. House is being valued today. Mrs J wants to move to another area as the school catchment areas have changed. I'm hoping that our house is worth at least as much as we paid for it 7 years ago. Really don't know if that will be the case. ...... You may have noticed that I haven't mentioned the Mighty Rams :) ...... Just this one post I think unless I do well in the DTDs and have something to brag about. Just this one post then :) Run well all (except hhyfdtr, he's an idiot who can do one)
    Posted by Jac35

You and he had something in common this weekend huh :)

• edited January 2015

Good to know you are OK Paul (Notts Forest excepted), & all is well (Notts Forest excepted) in Paul (NTPP) world.

I sent you a PM a week or so ago, & was getting a bit worried, so good to know all (Notts Forest excepted) is well.

PS - How did Derby get on v Notts Forest? (Notts Forest excepted).
  • edited January 2015
    We now have Harry walking. He's pretty much gone from crawling to walking overnight.
    Posted by Jac35
    Dunno why, but reading through I initially thought this was a dig at Harryfdrdsdts.

I'll take the high ground and not mention football. Not least because Derby are still going to be in the promotion mix and Forest are only marginally less in turmoil...
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Dunno why, but reading through I initially thought this was a dig at Harryfdrdsdts. I'll take the high ground and not mention football. Not least because Derby are still going to be in the promotion mix and Forest are only marginally less in turmoil...
    Posted by shakinaces

Same Shakey... even when I got to the car seats bit I assumed that was a further dig at H and I being children, for our upcoming lift :)

• edited January 2015

Too good, Sam & Shakin, too good.
  • edited January 2015
    still can't believe you called your kid harry
    just to wind up the forum i guess

ps nice post - well someone needs to say it