You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited March 2013

Getting quite excited.
    One more day at work and then off to Turnberry.
    Actually playing reasonably well for once, so maybe a little optimistic but if i can play near my handicap then can break 80 which i would be really happy with.
    I'm sure the weather wasn't this unpredictable when i were a lad.
    Last year we went to Wales and played Nefyn amongst others at this exact same time of year and we came back with suntans. The following week we wouldn't have been able to play as it snowed heavily.
    Looks like we're just going to be cold this year, which is fine. Just no rain please.

Found a fantastic series on Youtube yesterday, Bodyline.
    I remember watching it as a child and enjoying it and have been hoping to see it repeated again.
    It's about Douglas Jardines infamous Ashes tour of Australia.so far back that Tikay was still at school!
    Dohhhhhhh if you read this  and haven't seen it before it's well worth a look, i think you would enjoy it.

Funny month of poker.
    Had a ring game credit from a site  trying to entice people back. I ran really well and was able to cash out £145.
    Even more surprising was it actually found its way into my bank account.
    Not played live at all.
    Played mixture of 3,5 and 10 dym's and had good results, just short of £400 so far this month.
    To be honest i think i've played pretty badly but just had one of those runs where things have fallen my way.
    Bit frustrating that sharkscope has missed a couple of my best sessions.

Had a fun one yesterday.
    5 left , blinds 150/300 folds to me on button. BB is sitting out. I only have 1400 and so standard any 2 shove.
    Sb snaps me off and is very unhappy when i get lucky.

"no justice" and "i knew you were at it"

The cards? i had 7 3, he had 8 3.

• edited March 2013
    I have recently bought the Bodyline series on DVD. I remember watching it as a kid with my late father (the tv series not the tour) and watching it again has bought back some good memories of him . Amazing that Don Bradman was that good that we had to think of a whole new theory on bowling and fielding to try and stop him.
    I would recommend it to anyone interested in Cricket or just sporting history in general.
  • edited March 2013
    Well it didn't quite work out as planned.
    Drove up to Scotland on Wednesday, just he six hours. Few beers and a good meal.
    Thursday we played at Kilmarnock in near gale force conditions but thankfully no snow.
    Friday and Saturday we were due to play Turnberry. Got up early raced to the window.
    Brilliant! No snow, no frost. As I was celebrating the phone went. "Hello, Turnberry here, course closed"

Had a hideous journey back. I'm a pretty confident driver but that was scary. Car got hit by a can, a branch and a huge clump of snow. Can only find one small scratch from the can fortunately.

Eventually got home and as wife is away as well thought well at least I could go down to the SPT now.
    Got up Saturday morning, snowed in.
    Couldn't get stupid rear wheel drive car off drive.

Only silver lining was as not much to do, I've played loads and made a decent profit over the weekend
  • edited March 2013
    Well at least most of us have stopped kidding ourselves now. England are very very average.
    I really hope we do get to the World Cup, USA 94 should have been awesome but just had no interest in it.
    However, if we do make it unfortunately getting past the group stages will probably be an achievement.

Fell over in the snow yesterday (stop laughing) like everyone else normally I just jump up feeling a bit embarrassed.
    Not this time, all my weight went over my ankle. Pain got really bad and it's swelled up. Saw the doctor and he is sending me for an X-ray.
    Surely if it was broken I wold know about it though? It certainly hurts but compared with other injuries I've had it's more bearable.

Played some poker today.
    Was quite fortunate really. Had some pretty awful beats to begin with. These were at the 3 and 5 Dym's.
    Foolishly I got fed up with them and registered for every 10 Dym going for the next 30 mins. Ran much beter and Won all but 1 and so have turned a small loss into a half decent win for the day.

Rebooked turnberry and kindly they've not charged us anymore even though the prices will have gone up by the time we go.

Something wrong with wife I think.
    She's talking of changing her Alfa guiletta and getting something smaller like a fiesta! 
    Madness!!!
  • edited March 2013
    Because i'm old, cantankerous and my ankle hurts, i've decided to have a rant.

Random things that annoy me.

1- People who write "lol" or "ty" after winning a pot. Particulary applies to bad beats obviously.

2- The incredibly tedious "sky is rigged" brigade. From one of the biggest winners at dyms and who has played tens of thousands of them yesterday, "Sky cheating again" when his ak lost to a7. Seriously? He has played that many of these and he writes drivel like that.

3- The seemingly nonstop droning about how poor the software is. Simple, just go and play on another site then.

4- The mocking or critism of other players through displaying hand histories. There is one newish poster in particular who seems to enjoy doing this.

5- I do enjoy playing on Sky and think the forum is very good. However, i am utterly baffled by the fact that a site that promotes gambling, and encourages playing at unwinnable games like blackjack and roulette, will not let me put in words in posts that i wouldn't even consider as swear words.We're adults and i would be shocked if anyone realy got offended by anything that i have had to edit.

Rant over.
    Just as i was writing this i was 5bet all in 1st level of a dym by a guy with pocket 9's. I had aces, i didn't win.
    Sky is rigged obviously

• edited March 2013
    Hey Jac

Another diary that I do pop in and read but never post so I thought Id say hello as its always a good read.

I agree with everyone of your rants above btw, especially number 1!!
  • edited April 2013
    Ouch!
    First live game since the disaster last time.
    Didn't start well,couldn't find my bank card. No matter i'll go with £130
    Min cashed the comp and then sat at cash with £150
    Chipped up nicely to £450 and then the wheels came off.

Hand 1 - KQ on K high board, £100 goes in the direction of Mr Set.
    Hand 2 - 3 barrell against a guy who gets stubborn wiith 8's.
    Hand 3 - Raise button with K10 spades, Mr Set raise SB, i peel. 2 spade board all unders. He leads £25 and i raise to £75. Shove from Mr Set, i feel that i have to call here and turn and river are blanks.
    GG me.

Guess i only lost £130 total but it feels worse. After grinding all month making a decent profit online had a chance to finish month on a high. To give a fair bit back live is a blow. Don't actually mind how i played all of these hands but it still stings a little.

Went rather dejectedly (word?) for  a taxi, "be about an hour sir" Wonderful! Balls to that, first walk home in about 15 years.
    Feeling sad
  • edited April 2013
    Pretty good month

Live -    - £100 approx (bought a fair few drinks)
    Online  £610 (give or take a few pence, bought no drinks)

Enjoyed writing all this and many thanks to all those who have posted.
    Feel it's all a bit stale now, and so

Thread closed
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man:
    Pretty good month Live -    - £100 approx (bought a fair few drinks) Online  £610 (give or take a few pence, bought no drinks) Enjoyed writing all this and many thanks to all those who have posted. Feel it's all a bit stale now, and so Thread closed
    Posted by Jac35
    I've thoroughly enjoyed your ramblings and I'll be sorry to see them go.  Best of luck with your pokers both live and on-line.
  • edited April 2013
    Pretty good month Live -    - £100 approx (bought a fair few drinks) Online  £610 (give or take a few pence, bought no drinks) Enjoyed writing all this and many thanks to all those who have posted. Feel it's all a bit stale now, and so Thread closed
    Posted by Jac35
    Hope you get inspired again it's been a great read. Hope you continue to post on TPT thread.
  • edited June 2013
    Well, If Mourinho can return, i thought so could the ramblings for a short period.

Basically, it's because i was fortunate enough to get a seat for Saturday. I was going anyway but was resigned to playing in the comp that night. Now, i'm going to feel a part of it, for a short while anyway, and it will be really good to meet some of the really good players on the forum, and MAXALLY.

I don't actually know anyone on here. And so, if any of you are meeting up beforehand and don't mind an ageing, tubby little man tagging along, then please let me know where and when.

Not quite sure why, but i am really looking forward to this.
    It reminds me of when i was a kid and couldn't wait for the Cup Final. Remember, back in the 80's this was the match of the season bar none. Not hidden away on a Saturday night, after all the important Premier League games like Fulham v Norwich have taken place.

Coverage was on both BBC and ITV and started mid morning.
    We had the teams at the hotels, on the coach, the banal interviews. Every players prematch meal was pie and mash and favourite band was Genesis. Liverpools white suits.
    Remember the cup final songs? Everton had "HERE WE GO" Tottenham had a song that went something like "Spurs are on their way to Wembley, Ossies knees have gone all trembly"

In honour of those Cup Finals i thought i could do an interview. In the absence of Motty or Gary Newbon, i'll be asking the questions.

Pre match drink?

6-8 pints of Peroni in the Vine on Friday night.

Attire?

A rather fetching(flattering) dark shirt and jean combo.

Pre match music?

We're going with some old school. UTAH SAINTS and Joy Division.

Superstitions?

Never play the first hand. Unless it's Aces, or one of the cards has a picture on it, or they're the same suit, or they're connected.

Which charity?

Well, not charity as such but planning to donate plenty in the cash games after my brief spell in the tourney comes to a conclusion. Also, i believe somewhere else i pledged to buy Mr Tikay a latte, so another £2.50 or so there.

Good luck all, see you on Saturday
  • edited June 2013
    You mean you & gazza aren't actually the same person?

• edited June 2013
    I genuinely didn't know about this thread.

Awkward
  • edited June 2013
    I genuinely didn't know about this thread. Awkward
    Posted by gazza127
    No, not awkward at all.
    Only a brief return for this one.

I did wonder about thread name at the time and I think I posted early on.

Your diary is really good by the way
  • edited June 2013

Copycat! :)

Nice post about the 'good old days' of the FA cup final!.......apart from the rubz for me, obv.

Funnily enough, the old KO* time of 3pm.......will be about the same time has you get KO** of the Main Event.
    *Kick Off
    **Knocked OUT

It should be fun.....looking forward to meeting you Sir.
  • edited June 2013
    You mean you & gazza aren't actually the same person?
    Posted by GELDY
    Of course not, Geldy!

2 things should have given it away.

He can actually play.
    He has also got TommyD to post on his thread. Something I never managed
  • edited June 2013

Hi Jac
    As you may know, a few of your fellow TPTers are going to SPT Brum, So if you want to exchange numbers, we can all meet up (At the Bar :) and make out like it's old times :)

PM Me your number.

ps. we already have a few tubbies in the team (Apparently) so it's cool :)

Be good to see you there.

• edited June 2013
    Hi Jac As you may know, a few of your fellow TPTers are going to SPT Brum, So if you want to exchange numbers, we can all meet up (At the Bar :) and make out like it's old times :) PM Me your number. ps. we already have a few tubbies in the team (Apparently) so it's cool :) Be good to see you there.
    Posted by POKERTREV
    Hi Trev

Good stuff
    I'll send a pm later
  • edited June 2013
    VWD on your SPT win Jac mate
  • edited June 2013

Very well done JAc, Delighted you brought it down.

Really well desereved. Outstanding

• edited June 2013
    well done and well played paul,what a day
  • edited June 2013
    vwp. great result!
  • edited June 2013
    Congrats sir!  Well done!
  • edited June 2013
    WP, not sure if yr the guy trippy and I were chatting to in the smoking area! If so, really pleased for you... you sempt a a really nice bloke.

No time to read the whole post, but sending regards and best wishes to yr wife :)
  • edited June 2013
    Copycat! :) Nice post about the 'good old days' of the FA cup final!.......apart from the rubz for me, obv. Funnily enough, the old KO* time of 3pm.......will be about the same time has you get KO** of the Main Event. *Kick Off **Knocked OUT It should be fun.....looking forward to meeting you Sir.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Well we did finally meet! At 3.00am last night after not knowing who each other was for the previous couple of days!
    Which in all fairness was pretty gormless of us, considering we had name badges on and all!

Nice meeting you Al
  • edited June 2013
    WP, not sure if yr the guy trippy and I were chatting to in the smoking area! If so, really pleased for you... you sempt a a really nice bloke. No time to read the whole post, but sending regards and best wishes to yr wife :)
    Posted by samantha25
    Yep
    That was me
    really nice meeting you and considering the alcholol intake, a stunning job with the updates!
  • edited June 2013
    Thanks everyone for the kind words.
    Really appreciate it.

Going balla with the winnings!
    Wife says "well done Paul, we can get the hall and stairs decorated now!"
  • edited June 2013
    Well done Jac, great time timing to have restarted the diary just before you take an spt down lol wp
  • edited June 2013

congratulations on your SPT win Paul,

well played mate.

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited June 2013
    Sick river! Very well played. Nice to meet you, a genuine affable chap, pleased for you. All the best.