You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man:
    well done m8 on winning your seat
    Posted by liamboi11
    Ta Liam.
    From what I've seen you've been pretty unlucky in the sats.
    Hurry up and get your seat mate!
    Hope you're coming down regardless, be good to have a beer again
  • edited July 2013
    Congrats on the SPT qualification.....the double is on!!!!
  • edited July 2013

Nice results on the dym front Jac keep it up. I'll keep an eye on your progress.

Ger

• edited July 2013
    Nice results on the dym front Jac keep it up. I'll keep an eye on your progress. Ger
    Posted by gerardirl
    Thanks a lot
    No offence but I'd rather not meet you anytime soon at the tables.

Please stick to the Omaha!
  • edited July 2013
    This kind of thing has been discussed endlessly but I'm going to just gong to give my twopenneth worth now.

Poker is a game we all started playing because it looked like fun. The chance to make a few quid as well, was thrilling.
    I think all of us are guilty of taking it way too seriously sometimes. Obviously some kind of BRM is vital and if that is in place we should be able to take the beats with good grace and move on.. Next hand.

I get so frustrated when I read of this "lolbad" player sucked out or "the idiot thought acerag was the nuts". Often this is from good players who should simply know better. 
    Often you hear people saying "how can I win against these bad players?" Seriously?

We never know someone's personal situation when we sit down with them.
    I remember reading on another forum that a diarist there had been in a cash game and an oldish gentleman was playing any 2 and losing a few quid but looking as though he was having a wonderful time. The diarist asked him if he was enjoying himself and over the course of the evening he learned that the man was very,very ill. He had always loved playing cards and was determined to enjoy himself playing at a level where he knew he couldn't win but didn't care and just loved the game.
    How awful it would have been if someone had mocked or ridiculed him? Fortunately it didn't happen.

We all slip from time to time, I'm just trying to make sure that i don't let myself down very often these days.
  • edited July 2013
    This kind of thing has been discussed endlessly but I'm going to just gong to give my twopenneth worth now. Poker is a game we all started playing because it looked like fun. The chance to make a few quid as well, was thrilling. I think all of us are guilty of taking it way too seriously sometimes. Obviously some kind of BRM is vital and if that is in place we should be able to take the beats with good grace and move on.. Next hand. I get so frustrated when I read of this "lolbad" player sucked out or "the idiot thought acerag was the nuts". Often this is from good players who should simply know better.  Often you hear people saying "how can I win against these bad players?" Seriously? We never know someone's personal situation when we sit down with them. I remember reading on another forum that a diarist there had been in a cash game and an oldish gentleman was playing any 2 and losing a few quid but looking as though he was having a wonderful time. The diarist asked him if he was enjoying himself and over the course of the evening he learned that the man was very,very ill. He had always loved playing cards and was determined to enjoy himself playing at a level where he knew he couldn't win but didn't care and just loved the game. How awful it would have been if someone had mocked or ridiculed him? Fortunately it didn't happen. We all slip from time to time, I'm just trying to make sure that i don't let myself down very often these days.

nice post m8 I used to cry about everything a few years back but now i just laugh it off and I understand variance a lot better now.

with regards to nottingham I don`t think i will go unless I win a seat m8 but will be giving it a right go this week, only played a handful micros/quarters so will have to up it if really want a seat.

but yeah if i`m there 1st round on me m8
    Posted by Jac35
  • edited July 2013
    Awh dont worry, I think ive played 2 holdem dyms this year. However you might bump into my poker buddy ryanavfc!
  • edited July 2013
    Got bored of the Dyms for the moment.
    Had a rare outing in a B/H tonight and ran pretty well. Came 4th in the end.
    Probably should try and play more tourneys on here. Just don't like having to commit to playing for a good few hours if I do well. It's the summer and golf, cricket and beer gardens are far more enticing.

Had a fair bit of abuse today in chat boxes.
    Intelligent stuff like "go and die" amongst other stuff in a Dym and in the  tourney tonight every time this player limped into a pot and was raised he typed in "nob"
    Doesn't really bother me one bit but I just wish something was actually done about it. I'm sure it does put people off playing as is clear from the number of threads on this sort of thing.
    I know we're told to report all instances to CC but, and I may well be wrong, nothing ever seems to come of it.
    You still continue to see the same players coming out with he same sort of rubbish time and again.

July is looking good.
    Weather looks great. Ashes begins, the Open at Muirfield and going on holiday in a weeks time.
    SPT at end of month as well to look forward to.

Best result though is that I've managed to dodge the majority of the Little Eaton Carnival this weekend. Most of wife's family live there and they get heavily involved. Struck a deal where I play golf in afternoon and then get there when carnival has finished. About that time her Aunt produces an incredible Buffett and her Uncle opens the garage door and grins at us. Unlike most people who keep all manner of stuff in garages her Uncle is different. He keeps one thing, Beer!
  • edited July 2013
    Stayed up to make sure i didnt miss my invite for this post :) 

• edited July 2013

Hey Jac,

Really nice diary, always well written and considerate.

Re Abuse in Chat Box, pretty bad, they think it is annonymous so can say what they want. I wouldn't even bother about it, it just shows what type of person they are.

Enjoy your Holiday, and the Uncle has plenty of sense, knowing what a garage is actually for! Just hope it has a decent fridge in there too!

• edited July 2013
    Hey Jac, Really nice diary, always well written and considerate. Re Abuse in Chat Box, pretty bad, they think it is annonymous so can say what they want. I wouldn't even bother about it, it just shows what type of person they are. Enjoy your Holiday, and the Uncle has plenty of sense, knowing what a garage is actually for! Just hope it has a decent fridge in there too!
    Posted by LARSON7
    Hi Henrik

Cheers for your comments.
    We'll have to get round to that heads up game soon. This weekends out for me, next week though?

As I said, the chat stuff doesn't bother me. Been around plenty long enough to ignore that rubbish.
    My point was more for the newcomer to the game. He gets that sort of thing thrown at him and decides poker is not for him. It's just a shame because the vast majority are just there to enjoy themselves, same as you and me.
  • edited July 2013

Definatly next week sometime.

Enjoy the garage beer! Not garage temperature beer i hope:D

• edited July 2013
    Last night for a while for me. (Don't worry, not another "I'm leaving" post.
    Off for a week in Torquay. Not been on holiday in this country for years and so quite looking forward to it.
    Used to go there most years when I was growing up.

Remember going one year and arriving by train. As we pulled in to the station we saw a sign which mentioned Torquay Uniteds first game of he season that day. It was 2.30 and my Mum was delighted that my Dad decided we should go while my Mum and sister unpacked. Great game. Torquay 6 Wrexham 1, Paul Dobson hat-trick.

Will make sure we go to Bigbury. If you've never been there, there is a sea tractor which takes you across to Burgh Island. On Burgh Island is a boozer, The Pilchard, which dates back to the 12th century.

Poker has been pretty good except for one dismal day. One day I'll learn that on the days I'm running bad,playing bad I should just switch off.

Might still post the odd thing over the next week but won't be playing. Laptop banned. I'm the boss in my house!

Good luck all
  • edited July 2013
    Anyone able to help me with uploading some pics?
    Admittedly I'm pretty hopeless with this sort of thing.
    I keep getting file is too big. Needs to be less than 700kb. Tried cropping them but no good.
    Doing it from iPad, is that part of the problem?

• edited July 2013
    Anyone able to help me with uploading some pics? Admittedly I'm pretty hopeless with this sort of thing. I keep getting file is too big. Needs to be less than 700kb. Tried cropping them but no good. Doing it from iPad, is that part of the problem?
    Posted by Jac35
    Need to open them with a picture viewer that will allow you to compress them to smaller size.
    I use Windows Office 2010
  • edited July 2013
    Just had a nice relaxing week in Devon. Would upload some pics but i'm a bit of a thicko and can't work out how to compress photos.
    Nice to have a week off from the pokers to be honest, laptop was banned!

Used to go there as a child and so memory lane came flooding back. Felt a little sad as my Dad passed away a few years ago and so many things reminded me of childhood holidays, when we didn't have a care in the world.

Great Western Railway, Paignton to Dartmouth is lovely and then a trip up and down the Dart in the paddlesteamer.
    Went to Burgh Island, unfortunately not on the seatractor as there was a neat tide, and had a pint in The Pilchard.
    Had a look at the the house falling in the sea at Oddicombe Beach. You might be aware of this but a house recently sold at auction for a pittance that was once worth about 1.5 million. Most of it's gone now as the cliff has eroded.
    Had a trip to Thurlestone where there is a terrific golf course that I played a few years ago. Totally brown, fantastic links turf. Had forgotten what the roads were like at Bigbury and Thurlestone, just passing places and single track roads. We took Penny's new car and she was covering her eyes as we drove down there.

Good to see Fat Phil win the Open, would have liked Westwood to do it but if not him, Micklesons fine by me. Seems a real gentleman and is a wonderful player to watch.
    Cricket has been great too. Baffled by people saying it's boring and the Aussies aren't competitive. I'm old enough to remember their dominance and it's nice to give it back now. Whitewash is certainly on the cards.

Played a little bit since I've been back and done ok. One funny hand where a guy called a shove from me with 74, I had aces. Obviously I didn't win. Just smiled, these things happen, don't think i'll be starting threads about it and ranting. Was amused when a guy in another game was just ridiculing everybody. Couldn't help myself and mentioned that his stats were not altogether stellar. He then did the "this isn't my normal account, check out my results under xxxxxxx username, I've won £120.000 at poker" thing. I did put the obvious question to him of "why are you playing £5 Dym's then?" He didn't have an answer for this but explained how he liked to needle people and it gave him an edge. £5 Dym's? sigh, he's welcome to his edge.

Really looking forward to the Six Max on Saturday. Be good to see everyone again.
  • edited July 2013
    Think I might quit playing on here.
    Perhaps do a "I'm leaving thread"

Came 4th in a B/H last night. Went out with KK v 56 for huge chip lead.
    It's just so rigged and favours certain players.

Oh, just remembered I had plenty of luck getting there in the 1st place. (Ask BBmike)

Maybe, just maybe it's not rigged then and sometimes the cards go against you and sometimes we get lucky.
    Did see an ace on the flop 97 times out of a 100 though, so maybe that guy is right.

Must admit I found it really hard to adjust. I play very few tourneys on here, prob under a hundred since I started.
    Certainly early on, you really do need the best hand to win it seems. 
    I'm clearly no expert on B/H's but it appeared to me that people really go too hardto try and get the bounties.
    Played really badly a couple of nights ago at both Dyms and cash and ended up with my worst losing day in a couple of months. So, though I'd try something different last night and relax. Only played 2 tourneys. Not sure I could do that regulary. 2 tabling was so boring.

• edited July 2013

Doing a post saying you are contemplating doing a leaving thread.

#brilliant.

PS....stay away from MTT's please :)
  • edited July 2013

SPT

I went along yesterday and enjoyed myself yet again.
    Was fun to sit at my first table and have Julian on my direct left and also recognise a few other very good players. Not quite the seat draw I was hoping for!

Luckily due mainly to getting plenty of good cards I felt at ease pretty quickly and when the table broke I had doubled up to just over 60000.

That was when things started to go wrong! New table was not exactly going to be a pushover. Andrew1947, GELDY, TommyD on there, which is a bit ridiculous in a six max with 190 players left. I thought at the time I played really badly and in truth there were a few mistakes. However in hindsight six max against very good players is very tough when you get awful starting hands for 4 hours. Andrew was on my direct left and 3 bet me relentlessly and I had nothing to go back at him with. I got down to 37000 and around 80 left when I bust, average around 80000.

I  might post this in the clinic normally but Calcalfold would have field day so I think i'll put it in here. Pretty sure he doesn't read this!

Blinds are about to go up to 1000/2000 with 200 running ante. It folds around to GELDY in the sb and he mins to 3200. Yes, off course this is a fold all day long but in my mind he doesn't have to have a hand here and he's been playing very honestly. He's shown that he is able to fold big hands and I have position on him. I'm also pretty sure I have live cards! :) I certainly can't 3bet fold with my stack and so I proceed to peel with ...62 parsley!
    From here on in it's pretty standard in my mind but correct me if you feel differently.
    Flop is 6 4 3 , 2 clubs. He leads 4000 as he will do everytime and I make it 13000 committing me to the pot.If he folds, i'm happy and if he goes with it I know i'm in never in terrible shape. He does shove and shows 10's and I miss everything.
    Still really enjoyed the day, good to see people again and DTD is just awesome. Happy as well that I had 100% of myself in this one as it's always a little difficult telling someone who has a piece of you that you bust with 62!
    Don't know why it's all in bold and i'm too thick to work out how to change it back to normal

• edited July 2013
    slight correction
    i didn't shove
    i reraised and you shoved which i called
  • edited July 2013
    slight correction i didn't shove i reraised and you shoved which i called
    Posted by GELDY
    Ah ok, it was essentially the same thing though. I think a call would have left me about 3 bigs so it was pretty much putting me all in.

Well played though GELDY. Really glad you cashed, you showed a lot of discipline and played really well.
  • edited July 2013

Revenge is sweet!

Just beat GELDY my nemesis from yesterday heads up to win a tourney
    Hmm, not that sweet lol. The buy in was exactly 100 times less than the one he knocked me out of yesterday!

In all seriousness though I am considering playing a lot more tourneys on here. I have played in total, I think, 4 tourneys in the last couple of months on here. Had a 4th and the win tonight and so, given the excellent sample size, I think I may play more.

Actually the main reason is that I just can't be bothered with DYMS at the moment. Silly I know because these have given me my best returns on here. I've played a fair bit of cash recently as well and have finally come to the conclusion that I am useless at online cash. I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way but after playing for years live, when the smallest games are 50/1, I just click the call button far too often when I see 40p raises. Obviously this is terrible and when multitabling those 40p's soon add up. I've got out of the hole I've dug myself a fair few times now and have actually made a small profit at the cash this month. One thing I do know for certain is that 'getting out of it' has been purely down to luck and if I do carry on with the cash i'll soon become a losing player. Online cash at 10/20 is far far tougher in the main than live 50/1 and I know i'm pretty average.

So the plan is to get back playing live cash because I enjoy it so much and play a few tourneys on here.
    Knowing me, the new masterplan will change pretty quickly but at the moment that's what I intend to do.

• edited July 2013
    Grinding is overrated. I suspect you'll surpass your DYM returns if you switch to MTTs, and dare I say it, I expect you'll have more fun. GL.

SPT exit, fold pre! (And yes, I am fully aware just how helpful that is...)
  • edited July 2013

I think I may play more.

DTD night tonight.......3 MTT's for £5.50 and plenty of banter!
  • edited July 2013
    Revenge is sweet! Just beat GELDY my nemesis from yesterday heads up to win a tourney Hmm, not that sweet lol. The buy in was exactly 100 times less than the one he knocked me out of yesterday! In all seriousness though I am considering playing a lot more tourneys on here. I have played in total, I think, 4 tourneys in the last couple of months on here. Had a 4th and the win tonight and so, given the excellent sample size, I think I may play more. Actually the main reason is that I just can't be bothered with DYMS at the moment. Silly I know because these have given me my best returns on here. I've played a fair bit of cash recently as well and have finally come to the conclusion that I am useless at online cash. I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way but after playing for years live, when the smallest games are 50/1, I just click the call button far too often when I see 40p raises. Obviously this is terrible and when multitabling those 40p's soon add up. I've got out of the hole I've dug myself a fair few times now and have actually made a small profit at the cash this month. One thing I do know for certain is that 'getting out of it' has been purely down to luck and if I do carry on with the cash i'll soon become a losing player. Online cash at 10/20 is far far tougher in the main than live 50/1 and I know i'm pretty average. So the plan is to get back playing live cash because I enjoy it so much and play a few tourneys on here. Knowing me, the new masterplan will change pretty quickly but at the moment that's what I intend to do.
    Posted by Jac35
    I agree Jac MTT's are the way to go!!

give up on those DYMs asap lol make my life easier anyway :)
  • edited July 2013
    Great to hear it
    You are definitely suited to mtts
    but beware the variance
    1. Be mentally prepared for the inevitable downswings
    2. Need careful bankroll management
    Probably best to not buyin direct for the big events unless you need to play it..  The semi sats at 6pm and 7pm are pretty good and probably will be  suited to a dym player
    Best community events are the
    1. Dtd monday night. Team points and prizes for top 2 results
    2. Orfordable 10 seater on Fridays
    need to sign up in advance on the appropriate threads
    gl 
  • edited July 2013

Derby fan Jac? Only just seen that.

I hope you have a miserable first day of the season when the mighty Blues arrive!!!

In all seriousness Derby looked good in spells last year. You think you have a decent chance with the right signings or you think you need Clough to leave to progress and fight for promotion?

I have to say after spending years in the prem fighting to get to mid table/beat relegation season after season the idea of something to play for is making me get excited about this season. Something us Rovers haven’t experienced for a while.

Such a shame the prem has got to the point it has. Too much money. sighhh

• edited July 2013
    Hi AJ 

You saw my rant a few pages back then?
    The frustrating thing as a Derby fan is that we do actually have the basis of a decent team.
    Our trouble is that the moment a bid comes in for one of our best players, we sell immediately. We then replace with "promising youngster" and start again.

We signed shackell a couple of years ago and he was fantastic. Paired with Barker we would have had the best centre back pairing in the division. 
    Barker gets injured and then we sell Shackell after just the one season for little more than we paid for him.
    Replace him with Keogh who isn't a patch on either and cost more.

This year, we've sold the  best right back n the division a week before the start if the season!

Best I stop now!
    I'm still daft enough to get a ticket though. 
    I know Blackburn have had a pretty awful time of it too. Think this season you could be strong though.
    We were awful when we played you last season but I would say ou were actually the best team I saw at pride park.

Standard of the championship is so mediocre presently that I think any team that starts well and has a match winner (Rhodes) has a great chance.

• edited July 2013
    Having said all that, if we do actually sign a decent centre back (Barnett?)and keep Hughes, we may have a chance.
    Russell could be a great signing for us.

You're right, it was good too see us play football last season. We just couldn't defend though.
    If we sort that out, you never know.
  • edited July 2013
    SPT? Bah, who cares

I've just done level 169 in candy crush.

Life complete