You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man:
    About 7 years ago everything in our lives was turned upside down. Penny was diagnosed with MS. She had a good idea what it was before diagnosis but it was still devastating when it was confirmed. The NHS is very good but MS diagnosis is still very slow. We needed to know and paid for a private scan in Cheltenham. For a good amount of time things didn't change much. Then, slowly but surely the illness began to show. She was tired a lot. Her balance wasn't as good as it had been. Her walking suffered as a result. MS is quite odd in how it works. Relapses are the fear. When you have a relapse, which can be weeks or years apart, you lose a little of what you had and it's irretrievable. There is medication to help prevent relapses and it was painful for me as they all have side effects. Penny has relapsing remitting MS which is good. There is Secondary Progressive and then Primary Progressive and we really don't want to go there. After a while fatigue was becoming a huge factor and Penny needed to drop to part time. She also had one day a week where she worked as a trainer for staff at hospitals up and down the Country. This was private work and she earned around £350 a day for this. This had to go as well. I was a manager where I worked and was moving slowly but surely upwards and hoped to be making a very good salary before too long. The long hours, and I mean long, didn't really bother me and things were looking good. Things had obviously changed though and I needed to be at home more and not exhausted when I was there. I decided the only thing to do was to quit what I was doing and the business allowed me to drop down and work alongside my staff, As you can imagine this was quite difficult, but the right decision. We were now financially a lot poorer than we had been but that didn't matter. Sounds like a story of woe! Actually we've never been happier. Thankfully Penny's condition has been very stable over the last couple of years and now we've had this fantastic news. Pokerwise things became a little different for me. I'd always enjoyed the game and been a small winner at it. How much, I didn't know. I kept no records and while we always remember the £50 buy in comp we won for £1800 we easily forget the 20 previously where we didn't cash. My sharkscope for other sites was decent but I knew online my cash game wasn't great so I didn't really know how I was doing overall. When I started on Sky nearly 2 years ago I decided I would start to keep proper records. Live and Online. The money was now more important, as  I had less disposable income. I set myself a target of £10000 in 2 years. Last week I got to the £15000 mark which I'm really proud of. I'm very average but do what I know i'm good at. Online is a chore for me but i'm good at DYM's, cash less so and I rarely play that these days. Live, i'm pretty good. This is my original poker background and it's amazing how many easy games there at 50/1 live. I do pretty well from a small Sky sample at tourneys but it's hard to commit to an entire evening. The SPT was obviously a huge help for me to help me achieve my target and on that day I was far  from the best player but ran incredibly well. Live poker is my true poker love and whilst I do want to win, having a good time is the most important criteria for me when i play it. The SPT's have been just fantastic and I've met some great people at them. I probably won't be able to play as many next year for obvious reasons but i really hope to be able to at least get to some. I do despair when people get so upset over a game of cards. I can sometimes understand the original reaction but have learned there is far more to life and get baffled by some of the feuds that can develop. Bit embarrassed and unsure whether to press 'add post' but.... add post
    Posted by Jac35
    Fantastic read Paul and well worth the post!!! sounds like you two haven't had it easy which makes the news you broke today that bit more special.

ps 15k from poker - vwp!!
  • edited September 2013
    Honest assessment, brave and open. People do need reminding that there's more to life than card games.

Nice one.
  • edited September 2013
    great post paul and again congrats on the news and well done on your achievement in poker.
  • edited September 2013
    Congrats on the baby Jac!  That and reaching the 15k mark on poker - very impressive.

Very honest post.  Not sure I'd have the balls to do one similar.  Glad to see everything is going well at the minute and long may it continue!
  • edited September 2013

What a great Post Paul, as someone else said, one of the best I've ever seen here.
  • edited September 2013
    Already said congrats but great post above Paul
  • edited September 2013
    Great post. A lovely read. Got quite emotional reading but you realise all things are possible and you always maintain a positive attitude which is what you need  

I don't aadmittedly know you but can believe your a sound guy. I'll definitely be following your post (anytime I need dym help, can I give u a shout  lol)
  • edited September 2013
    Congrats on the baby.

Lovely read in the last post too. 

• edited September 2013
    Thank you very much everyone for your posts.

Was quite unsure about it and wrote posts a couple of times before pressing delete at the end of it.
    After a couple of drinks last night, I came home and just put it all down in a bit of a jumbled way and pressed send.
    Was really nice to wake up this morning and see the nice comments you'd made.

• edited September 2013
    Very nice read and honest aswell.
    Really pleased to hear your good news.
    Its really nice when one of the good guys get what they deserve in poker and in life.
    Pleasure to meet you in Newcastle and the next pint is on me whenever that may be.

• edited September 2013
    Great post mate and massive congrats to you both from the Bromley household.

You keep doing yourself a disservice on your SPT win.  You played a good solid game that day and more than deserved the win!

It has been a pleasure to get to know you and your attitude to this great game is one I wish more people had!
  • edited September 2013
    wow - what can i say

vwp (baby)
    vwp (life)
    vwp (poker)
    vwp (posting)

with a side helping of vwp sky to have a community where peeps can post like this
  • edited September 2013
    Congrats on your news. Hope it all goes well for you and your wife. We shall have to try and rustle up a TPT babygro.
  • edited September 2013
    Thanks for kind words gents
  • edited September 2013

Looking forward to tonight now.
    Played 2 sats and got 2 seats which isn't a bad result I guess.
    One into the turbo open and the other the £55 bounty hunter. Enjoyed that one as I was able to torture Dohhhh.
    I'd got lucky in a couple of spots and was in really good shape 1/3 with 2 seats. Was able to apply a little pressure on Dohhhhhh as he was 2nd in chips and other guy was folding plenty.

Wish me luck

• edited September 2013

Hand History #691288152 (22:20 17/09/2013)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Jac35 Small blind  2000.00 2000.00 28434.00
    kian2107 Big blind  4000.00 6000.00 39595.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

liamboi11 Fold     
    Zaphod50 Fold     
    matrixman All-in  28971.75 34971.75 0.00
    Jac35 Call  26971.75 61943.50 1462.25
    kian2107 All-in  39595.00 101538.50 0.00
    Jac35 All-in  1462.25 103000.75 0.00
    kian2107 Unmatched bet  13161.00 89839.75 13161.00
    Jac35 Show
    • A
    • A

kian2107 Show
    • K
    • K

matrixman Show
    • Q
    • Q

Flop

• J

Turn

• A

River

• Q

kian2107 Win Straight to the Ace 89839.75  103000.75

First ever hand history in this thread. Thought you might allow me this one as a slightly bad beat. For chip lead with 16 left in the £4000 turbo. Only a bit over a £1000 up top :)

Still, still going in £55, 11/27 at moment
  • edited September 2013
    That is a cold, cold deck. Very unlucky sir.
  • edited September 2013
    Well, fun nights work.
    Just bust the £55 in 7th for £236 total including heads.
    Was 2/7 so pretty frustrating. Lost a big hand in blinds. He limped and I turned 2 pair and a flush draw. He'd flopped top 2.
    Shoved KJ for 17000 on button at 800/1600. SB called with 97 and got there with a 4 flush on river.
    Bit annoyed with myself when I should have called a button shove. Had AQ in sb. He shoved for 31000 and I had around 60000. He had folded every single hand since i'd joined the table. It looked so much like a middle pair but just thought I didn't need the race at the time. Really think it's a big leak. Couple of times I've folded in similar situations recently. Bit of Dym mentality coming in there I think with chip preservation. Not good.

Still over the night played 4 Dym's and lost all 4. BAH! they're rubbish.
    Played the 2 comps which I satted into and cashed in both, so not bad really.
    Love to play the mains more often but can't really justify it right now. Anyone want to stake me, let me know :)
  • edited September 2013

*Unsubscribe* from thread now hand histories/bad beat stories are being posted.
  • edited September 2013
    *Unscribes* from thread now hand histories/bad beat stories are being posted.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Urban dictionary on "unscribes"

'A popular misspelling of the word unsubscribe, used by folks who seem to be clueless about the word unsubscribe 

:)

Fair enough though. Would like to assure any readers that this was a blip and shall not be repeated. 
    Lucky I decided against doing my theory on how poker online is rigged then. Would have been final straw I guess.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man : Urban dictionary on "unscribes" 'A popular misspelling of the word unsubscribe, used by folks who seem to be clueless about the word unsubscribe  :)
    Posted by Jac35

*EDIT*

A God send for the stupid on public forums :)

Please note this was obviously not posted by me, as I am not here.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man : *EDIT* A God send for the stupid on public forums :) Please note this was obviously not posted by me, as I am not here.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Although you obviously won't read this seeing as you have abandoned the thread, I'd like to wish you 'happy birthday', hope you're well and hope to see you at Nottingham?
  • edited September 2013
    Getting close
    8th in Mini tonight. 10's into KK 4 handed. (Not moaning by the way MAXALLY)
    Really getting into the tourneys a bit more now.
    Again not a moan but I lost connection with 10  for about 10/15 minutes. Pretty annoying, I always hear people grumbling about this but first time I think I've experienced it myself. Good timing. Came back and i'd lost about 40000 in blinds.

Love to know tourney players opinions on this. I watched a vid put up on another forum of a very, very good players run in a tourney on another site. 113k for the win and he started it when he was in the money and down to the last 90 or so players. I'm concerned that my calling range to shoves is way too tight but was really surprised at some of the calls he made.

10's on the button. Guy mins, he flats. 642 flop. checked to him, pot 122000, he bets 31000. Original utg raiser, shoves for 432000. If he calls it off he's left with 183000 with blinds at 8000/16000. He calls

He 3bets from the sb against button raise with Ace 9, button then shoves. To call it's half his stack, He calls.

He has 77 in sb, utg shoves 11bigs. if he calls and loses he loses 1/3 of his stack. He calls

He mins 22 and guy shoves for 13 bigs. He calls.

First one he said he had no reads, but the guys bet made no sense and so it was a pretty easy call. Not sure about easy but I think i'm probably calling this one. The others i'm finding it really hard to call.
    Thoughts?
  • edited September 2013
    Wp sir, sounds like tournaments are treating you nicely at the moment, long may it continue!

Can see the logic with the 1010 hand. Would be a strange line to take with JJ+ so I'd like to think I'd find the call there. Others are a bit of a grey area. Calling off with 22 always feels a bit dirty. The 77 hand is marginal I feel though I'd sway towards a call (I assume it was a 9 handed table, which makes it even more marginal!), borderline that call but I think we can just afford to make it. A9 hand looks a bit more straightforward. A9 is a hand of value vs a button opening range, so I'm sure he's 3betting to get it in as it's (generally) too strong a hand to 3bet fold. If button was super tight then it might just be a muck pre, but we can set up a good aggro player to jam with worse here with a nice 3bet.
  • edited September 2013
    Hard without reads, but I doubt that any hand that is beating TT in the first one shoves there, I call.

Facing a 4-bet shove with A9? On this site I'm folding. Beating nothing. Starts to get a bit meta in my mind 'he knows I should defend, so he should attack' type stuff - he should explain that though.

77, I've seen plenty of players who I would regard as very good MTTers on this site call off similar (albeit 6-max) with 44, 66 and the ilk. Seem happy to take a flip knowing they have chips behind that they can still use well, but this is a good spot to add to the stack. Would consider what the big blind might do here. Is a re-shove better or worse than a call with 77?

22 I'll fold it's just a dreadful hand against the range. Unless you've got loads and loads behind, it's not worth the effort.

Might want to gather better opinions on this though!
  • edited September 2013
    Wp sir, sounds like tournaments are treating you nicely at the moment, long may it continue! Can see the logic with the 1010 hand. Would be a strange line to take with JJ+ so I'd like to think I'd find the call there. Others are a bit of a grey area. Calling off with 22 always feels a bit dirty. The 77 hand is marginal I feel though I'd sway towards a call (I assume it was a 9 handed table, which makes it even more marginal!), borderline that call but I think we can just afford to make it. A9 hand looks a bit more straightforward. A9 is a hand of value vs a button opening range, so I'm sure he's 3betting to get it in as it's (generally) too strong a hand to 3bet fold. If button was super tight then it might just be a muck pre, but we can set up a good aggro player to jam with worse here with a nice 3bet.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    An opinion worth gathering!
  • edited September 2013
    nice result - vwp & sure there'll be even better to come

as for the shoving/calling ranges - I had also noticed that better players when going deep played wider than I would normally do. That applies to the player shoving, and hence he can then be called down lighter as well. I also think there is more willingness to take risks to turn a deep run into a winning run, and good players are happier with the variance this brings, as they get to reap the rewards when they bink. They are also likely to be comfortable playing short stacked if needed, and good at bullying with a larger stack, so again happier to take chances.

ironically calling shoves wide is also the sign of a poor player! I was knocked out of my last live tourney by a limper who called my aipf shove on a multi-limped table for almost his whole stack with 66 (vs my Ax). I marked him down as weak - but maybe he was very good. funny old game.
  • edited September 2013
    Getting close 8th in Mini tonight. 10's into KK 4 handed. (Not moaning by the way MAXALLY) Really getting into the tourneys a bit more now. Again not a moan but I lost connection with 10  for about 10/15 minutes. Pretty annoying, I always hear people grumbling about this but first time I think I've experienced it myself. Good timing. Came back and i'd lost about 40000 in blinds. ...... Love to know tourney players opinions on this. I watched a vid put up on another forum of a very, very good players run in a tourney on another site. 113k for the win and he started it when he was in the money and down to the last 90 or so players. I'm concerned that my calling range to shoves is way too tight but was really surprised at some of the calls he made. 10's on the button. Guy mins, he flats. 642 flop. checked to him, pot 122000, he bets 31000. Original utg raiser, shoves for 432000. If he calls it off he's left with 183000 with blinds at 8000/16000. He calls He 3bets from the sb against button raise with Ace 9, button then shoves. To call it's half his stack, He calls. He has 77 in sb, utg shoves 11bigs. if he calls and loses he loses 1/3 of his stack. He calls He mins 22 and guy shoves for 13 bigs. He calls. First one he said he had no reads, but the guys bet made no sense and so it was a pretty easy call. Not sure about easy but I think i'm probably calling this one. The others i'm finding it really hard to call. Thoughts?
    Posted by Jac35
    Don't forget, the lad in question runs Goulden.

;)
  • edited September 2013
    Poker and golf, very different you may think.
    I'm not so sure.
    Had a knock on Monday and it was the best I've played in ages. Had my 2nd ever hole in one and went round in 72, one over.
    Great. I thought, when's the next comp because I'M BACK.
    Next comp was Wednesday. Went round in 89, marv. That's another .1 then.

Tonight played cash for an hour at 10/20 (know I'm meant to say 20nl, but I'm old you see) and dropped a 3 or 4 buy ins quickly. Couldn't hit a thing and had a couple of bad run outs.
    Left it an hour and decided to play some 25/50 (I know I should say 50nl, but I'm old you see) and couldn't miss. Recovered the earlier losses and made a fair bit on top as well.

It's amazing how from one day to the next or session to session how different things can be.

Playing a few sats and the moment and sailing through them. All except the SPT ones. Sorely tempted to buy in directly as I absolutely love the weekends and DTD. Really hard to justify it though. It's a lot of money and against the field, some excellent players from here and the DTD regs, I'll be making up the numbers.

• edited September 2013
    Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes