You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited September 2013
    Booooo.

Really wanted it to work for mini Clough! :(

What now for him? And who now for you????

Steve Kean still jobless ;)
  • edited September 2013
    I was so happy when he took charge and gave him a lot longer than most people.
    His transfer dealings were bemusing and his treatment of players was disgusting.
    5 years is a long time in management now with no discernable improvement. Contrary to popular belief we have spent plenty of money in his time. Seemingly dozens of £350,000 signings from Scotland.

I think he will pack up management altogether. He used to say when at Burton that he loved it being a part time job for him as he wanted to spend time with his family. Doubt he will bother again or that anybody would want him for that matter.

Pulls was in the crowd today and people are putting 2 and 2 together. Mixed feelings if he came. Proven but the football his teams play leaves me a little cold. 
  • edited September 2013

Lol knew you would be happy today Jac. Who would you prefer to take the job? Some decent candidates out of work.

Pretty sure DOHHHH has a bit of a man crush on Mr Kean which is why he touts him for every job that becomes available :). I’ve tried to show him the error of his ways but it always falls on deaf ears lol! It’s a year to the day that the news was finally announced that he had walked away from the club he took down. It’s been celebrated by many today as much as it was a year ago!

I would say your prayers you don’t get him and i hope that one day he takes the Doncaster job lol!

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man:
    I was so happy when he took charge and gave him a lot longer than most people. His transfer dealings were bemusing and his treatment of players was disgusting. 5 years is a long time in management now with no discernable improvement. Contrary to popular belief we have spent plenty of money in his time. Seemingly dozens of £350,000 signings from Scotland. I think he will pack up management altogether. He used to say when at Burton that he loved it being a part time job for him as he wanted to spend time with his family. Doubt he will bother again or that anybody would want him for that matter. Pulls was in the crowd today and people are putting 2 and 2 together. Mixed feelings if he came. Proven but the football his teams play leaves me a little cold. 
    Posted by Jac35

We have street lightning now ya know?....You can warm yourself up on them when cold if you like. : )

*EDIT - OBV, I am not here again.

• edited September 2013

Interesting day

It appears Derby have approached QPR to speak to McLaren.
    Don't really know what to make of it. Most fans pretty despondent about it but i'd give him a chance.

Poker has been fun.
    Been playing a fair bit of 25/50 last few days. As Maxally doesn't read anymore I might get away with this

Got in a bit of a hole early on.
    4 bet shoved AK against busy opponent who snapped with AQ and got there -£110 :(
    A couple of over bad run outs and I was around £220 down for the day.

Then things changed :)

3bet called pre against 2 players with AJ hearts. Turn gave me the straight with backdoor flush draw 7 8 9 10. River gave me nuts and got paid of by a very unlucky guy who had QJ +£135 :)

JJ v AK for +£99 :)

Then weird hand where guy decided to outplay me with 72. Became a little difficult for him as I had AK and flopped a straight +£120 :)

Few other bits and bobs and when I sat out I found I was £13.26 up on the day :)

Oh, bubbled another SPT sat. B*gger!
    Had a bash at the super roller sats but didn't make much headway. Thought about buying in but have decided  to go and spend my hard earned £13.26 on beer instead
    One last thing, as you play higher, generally the idiots who want to abuse start to disappear. People are taking the game a bit more seriously and just concentrate on their play and understand variance.
    Welcomed to one of the tables by someone asking me if I liked cabbage? Assumed this was some sort of hilarious putdown. He then told everyone how bad they were for a while. Someone else peeled my 3bet with 68 and turned 2 pair. I made a better 2 pair on river with AK and he got rather cross.

One guy lost a pot and told the other player what he thought of him and the opponent said "cheers guys" and left the game.
    I couldn't help myself and asked him if he was happy now that he had lost his customer, someone who he considered to be far worse than him?

I've written about all this before and I know it's all a little boring but I've seen Beaneh write this before and he's right 'These guys just don't get poker' 

• edited September 2013

So it is Shteeve McClaren then. Should be a decent appointment. There are def better managers around but he should do a decent job and could be good for Derby imo. Hope he gets the time he will need.

Hope the accent has stuck with him ;). lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZnoP4sUV90
  • edited September 2013
    So it is Shteeve McClaren then. Should be a decent appointment. There are def better managers around but he should do a decent job and could be good for Derby imo. Hope he gets the time he will need. Hope the accent has stuck with him ;). lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZnoP4sUV90
    Posted by AJ_Rockets
    A lot of my Steve Kean stuff is banter tbh (don't know much about him just seems a nice guy & I feel sorry for him so want to see him get another chance somewhere), but I 100%, genuinely, no messing, would rather have Steve Kean than Steve McClaren.

Unlucky Jac!!!!!

You're going down with the Barnsley! ;)
  • edited September 2013
    Certainly prepared to give him a chance AJ and Dohhhh
    Very happy with the guys he's brought with him as well. I think Mclaren does sometimes get a bit of unfair press.
    He was a terrible England manager it's true, but we're not after an England manager, we need someone with a reasonable track record in club management. He's got that. Did ok with Middlesborough, won the Dutch league. 

I'm interested to see if we might get in a few foreign players. With his knowledge of the Dutch and German leagues we may be able to get in some players that would be too expensive for us if they were British.
    Don't think Nigel had a passport. Total refusal to even consider players from overseas. Probably didn't help that the chief scout was a newsagent from Nottingham, his brother! 

• edited October 2013
    Certainly prepared to give him a chance AJ and Dohhhh Very happy with the guys he's brought with him as well. I think Mclaren does sometimes get a bit of unfair press. He was a terrible England manager it's true, but we're not after an England manager, we need someone with a reasonable track record in club management. He's got that. Did ok with Middlesborough, won the Dutch league.  I'm interested to see if we might get in a few foreign players. With his knowledge of the Dutch and German leagues we may be able to get in some players that would be too expensive for us if they were British. Don't think Nigel had a passport. Total refusal to even consider players from overseas. Probably didn't help that the chief scout was a newsagent from Nottingham, his brother! 
    Posted by Jac35

Wow that is impressive.  I didn't even know Middlesborough were in the Dutch league.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man : Wow that is impressive.  I didn't even know Middlesborough were in the Dutch league.
    Posted by gazza127
    Lol

Well you see the last time I saw an interview with him he said he had enjoyed his time as Middlesborough manager. He said the word Middlesborough in a Dutch accent and so I just assumed they must be a new team in the Eredivisie.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man : Lol Well you see the last time I saw an interview with him he said he had enjoyed his time as Middlesborough manager. He said the word Middlesborough in a Dutch accent and so I just assumed they must be a new team in the Eredivisie.
    Posted by Jac35
    He had a dutch accent about 4 days after he moved there!

I am hoping this interview wasn't recent as it would be pretty disgraceful if he's still got that clearly fake accent he put on to try and make the press and his fans like him over there!
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man : He had a dutch accent about 4 days after he moved there! I am hoping this interview wasn't recent as it would be pretty disgraceful if he's still got that clearly fake accent he put on to try and make the press and his fans like him over there!
    Posted by gazza127
    No the Dutch accent has gone.
    He now talks like the true East Midlander he is.
    He says things like "aye up me duck" and "it's getting a bit black over bill's motha's"
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man : No the Dutch accent has gone. He now talks like the true East Midlander he is. He says things like "aye up me duck" and "it's getting a bit black over bill's motha's"
    Posted by Jac35
    Haha!

Don't joke.  Just wait for his first interview/press conference...  You may yet be surprised (or not as the case may be).

• edited October 2013
    Enjoyable night at the tables
    Started off with usual sat failure in the £16 Q/F.As i'm clearly never going to sat in I had the idea of trying to win a tourney to pay for buy in.

Played 4 and had deep runs in 3, cashed but missed out on the decent money.

4th in the £5.50 megastack where I got megalucky a couple of times, so have to be happy with that £43.46
    8th in the speed rebuy for £18.59, got pretty lucky a couple of times in that as well
    11th in the £10 rebuy. Didn't get lucky in that
    91st in £10 BH, Just didn't get started in that one.

So all good, a little profit on the night.

Rebuy was frustrating. Key hand was a mixture of bad play from me and maybe a bit unlucky.
    Guy peeled a 4bet from me. I had ACE 10. Flop was AAJ. He checked and first mistake, I checked back.
    Turn K and it ended up with me bet, calling when he clicked it back on the river to see Q10 for the turned straight.
    Given how the guy was playing i'm pretty sure he calls any bet I made on flop anyway but...
    This left me with 13 bigs and I put them in with 88 next hand, he had AJ.  Ace on river sealed the deal.

No SPT yet  then but relaxing night of poker and a little bit extra in my account.

Derby against Dirty Leeds tomorrow. Looking forward to it. Always a big game against them. Somehow we've won the last 9 encounters v them.  With it being Mclarens first game  as well, it should be a great atmosphere for once at Pride Park. Should see some goals at least as we're averaging conceding 3 every home game so far.

Lovely gesture from PokerTrev in the TPT thread. I'm not going to play it as I don't normally, and so I don't think it would be right for me to try and claim the prize. Good luck to all the usual players though.
  • edited October 2013
    Very generous of Trev indeed! Top bloke.

Good luck with qualifying for the SPT or binking a tounrie for the Buyin!
  • edited October 2013
    yes paul great offer from trev even i was lost for words which as you know is as rare as rocking horse poo hope you win today gl
  • edited October 2013
    Lovely gesture from PokerTrev in the TPT thread. I'm not going to play it as I don't normally, and so I don't think it would be right for me to try and claim the prize. Good luck to all the usual players though.
    Posted by Jac35
    You sir, never stop showing what a thoroughly decent chap you are, nice one.

Just guessing, but pretty sure Trev is trying to drum up interest (as well as rewarding his team's efforts) to fight back at the utterly dominant HitSquad. Join the fun, even if you go on to defer any prize. It's a great night tis Monday DTD.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man : You sir, never stop showing what a thoroughly decent chap you are, nice one. Just guessing, but pretty sure Trev is trying to drum up interest (as well as rewarding his team's efforts) to fight back at the utterly dominant HitSquad . Join the fun, even if you go on to defer any prize. It's a great night tis Monday DTD.
    Posted by bbMike
    Cheers Mike, not everyone agrees with your first comment though, (see clinic)

Not a bad idea of yours to play anyway. I know everyone really enjoys the games on Mondays. Just a problem for me to as I rarely set out to play for a whole evening. Just happens by chance occasionally that I play a few tourneys on odd nights.

Are you at Notts? I've changed my mind about a hundred times already on what I'm going to do. Latest thought is the I'll play the evening comp and have a few beers with everyone. 
  • edited October 2013
    When we get promotion this is what we'll sing
    We are Derby, We are Derby
    Mclaren is our king.

Great result today, played really well. Better attendance. Bit of feel good again.
    Amazing that we've beaten Leeds for the 10th consecutive time. To many Derby fans the game against Leeds is as big as Forest. Goes back to before my time but all kids were brought up to hate Leeds in Derby.

Be interesting if we can sign a couple more defenders. You never know....

• edited October 2013
    Hi, jac.

I'm a tranmere fan do you remember our mid-nineties battles, swapping four goal victories? You had a collection of top players.paul williams, craig short and gary charles, mark pembridge, gabbiadini upfront. Didnt paul kitson and tommy jonson play for you then too? Paul simpson was your left winger, used to love watching him play. Team full of personality, most of them ended up in the premiership without you though. Some great players outside the premiership then.

Cheers, 
    TEDDY
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man : Cheers Mike, not everyone agrees with your first comment though, (see clinic) Not a bad idea of yours to play anyway. I know everyone really enjoys the games on Mondays. Just a problem for me to as I rarely set out to play for a whole evening. Just happens by chance occasionally that I play a few tourneys on odd nights. Are you at Notts? I've changed my mind about a hundred times already on what I'm going to do. Latest thought is the I'll play the evening comp and have a few beers with everyone. 
    Posted by Jac35
    I've not planned to play Notts, had to appease the mrs after Newcastle and suggest I'd not travel for poker again until next year. If you see me in any satellites though, I might have the bug!
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man : I've not planned to play Notts, had to appease the mrs after Newcastle and suggest I'd not travel for poker again until next year. If you see me in any satellites though, I might have the bug!
    Posted by bbMike

+1 sigh

• edited October 2013
    In Response to derby...:
    Hi, jac. I'm a tranmere fan do you remember our mid-nineties battles, swapping four goal victories? You had a collection of top players.paul williams, craig short and gary charles, mark pembridge, gabbiadini upfront. Didnt paul kitson and tommy jonson play for you then too? Paul simpson was your left winger, used to love watching him play. Team full of personality, most of them ended up in the premiership without you though. Some great players outside the premiership then. Cheers,  TEDDY
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Hi Teddy
    Welcome to the thread

Yes, we used to have some battles with Tranmere. As you said, there were always goals and it seemed that you used to batter us at Prenton Park, whilst we would do the same to you at the Baseball Ground.
    We assembled a team of terrific players but the trouble was we were never really a team. Not sure that makes sense.
    Simpson was tremendous, he scored a hat trick against you on Easter Monday 1996, I think. Glad to have him back at the club now as a coach.

Tranmere, I thought, were always a strong team in the championship, or it's equivalent back then. What's happened? Just had a look and it doesn't make great reading.

Have really enjoyed your posts by the way 
  • edited October 2013
    The money dried up. We were an average, well bogstandard club whose average finishing position was last in the 3rd tier. We nearly went bust before a local millionaire stepped in with a wad of cash and a vision. They appointed johnny king, a shankley prodigy,  who was one if the great unsubg managers of recent times. Back in pre Italia 90 lower league slog fests he employed a sweeper system, was devoted to playing passing and attacking football and was financed to get the right players in.

King's attitude to the game was best summed up by his best quote "I cant promise supporters success but I can promise them a trip to the moon". He took us to Wembley 4 times in two years, gor us two promotions,  then pursusded aldridge and nevin to sign. Amazing times, even better football. We never got the gates and johnson pulled the plug after a hattrick of playoff failures. No hard feeling as he enabled us to break or transfer record 12 odd years in a row, and he hasnt asked for a penny back. He still keeps us afloat by not calling that debt in. We're now sinking back to our previous average position, back to earth, innit. But king did keep his promise and the football played was sensational. 

Cheers, 
    TEDDY
  • edited October 2013
    Very, very annoyed with myself.

I should have ignored the threads entirely and left it for others to decide what they would or would not believe.
    I pride myself in having a good table manner and in the hand in question I let myself down.
    I remember now that after the hand I tapped in "k6, seriously?" into the chat box. 
    Shouldn't have done that but I'm fairly sure that worse has been written in chat boxes in the past.

It's my belief though that that is the extent of my wrongdoing.

Was surprised to see a thread then started up.
    A lot of what was written was untrue and I reacted.

• edited October 2013
    Moving on.

Been out for a meal tonight. Yep, that went well.
    Ordered something which sounded nice. A Glamorgan burger with cheese and red onion. As it's hard to keep this fine physique, I decided to make it a double. Strips of bacon on top, fries and we're good to go.
    Penny ordered a Sunday dinner, looked very nice.

I was delighted to find out when it arrived that I had ordered a veggie burger!
    Penny, not feeling too good today, could only manage half her meal.

All in all a snip at £35
  • edited October 2013
    Very, very annoyed with myself. There's a new troll in town and I've bitten. I should have ignored the threads entirely and left it for others to decide what they would or would not believe. I pride myself in having a good table manner and in the hand in question I let myself down. I remember now that after the hand I tapped in "k6, seriously?" into the chat box.  Shouldn't have done that but I'm fairly sure that worse has been written in chat boxes in the past. It's my belief though that that is the extent of my wrongdoing. Was surprised to see a thread then started up. A lot of what was written was untrue and I reacted.
    Posted by Jac35

I really wouldn't worry about it sir. Always been a pleasure to share a table with yourself. The guy in question isn't exactly showering himself in glory, could say more but I'll resist :)

And it seems pretty unanimous that it was his errors and he got very lucky.

If ''K6 seriously'' is the worst you've put in the chatbox, then I tip my hat.

• edited October 2013
    Very, very annoyed with myself. There's a new troll in town and I've bitten. I should have ignored the threads entirely and left it for others to decide what they would or would not believe. I pride myself in having a good table manner and in the hand in question I let myself down. I remember now that after the hand I tapped in "k6, seriously?" into the chat box.  Shouldn't have done that but I'm fairly sure that worse has been written in chat boxes in the past. It's my belief though that that is the extent of my wrongdoing. Was surprised to see a thread then started up. A lot of what was written was untrue and I reacted.
    Posted by Jac35

Not going to lie... i've done this a fair few times after an astonishing call or two.

Dont think hes worth the time to be honest.  Seems like a petty thread to start with little point other than to get one over on you.  A similar one with waller has been set up - clearly he's not too good at making friends.  And he's also good at completely ignoring comments too.

I wouldn't give it a second thought tbh mate.
  • edited October 2013

I would instant ban ya! for life. 

But really, dont dwell on it mate....not worth it!
  • edited October 2013
    I would instant ban ya! for life.  But really, dont dwell on it mate....not worth it!
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Oii, thought you had self-excluded from this thread. :)

You're right of course. Been a tough weekend, Penny has been struggling a bit and and I wasn't really in the mood to read that rubbish. 

Normal service going to resume now. 
    You know, stuff like hand histories(no names) :), bad beats and grumbling about SPT sats.