You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited October 2013
    Hey Paul

Totally agree with Gaz, not worth your time! Everyone on here knows you and that you are a really decent guy.

Good luck with the SPT sats and hopefully you wont need to grumble much more!

All this talk of the SPT is making me want to go now lol
  • edited October 2013
    This is all a bit weird!

I've just realised that i'm bored of poker at the moment. Never really had that before. Sure, theres been plenty of times after a bad session that I've vowed never to play again, but this is a bit different.

Played tonight, badly. Not really been concentrating. Entered about £70 worth of comps tonight and got myself into good positions in all of them and then just threw chips away.

Bit ugly bubbling a £10 B/H. Went out KK to 9 10 but that happens. It was the hand before that did the damage. Put a guy all in with a 4bet when I just knew I was beat. He had hardly played a hand all night and now he's minraising from the small blind against my utg open. Shock! he had aces, i'm a dunce.

Played a bit of cash in an effort to recoup a bit but it was half hearted. Made a little bit here and there and ended up losing about a tenner on the night.

Plan therefore is to have a little rest and then go to Nottingham for SPT. Not going to play the main, just the nightly comp. It will be good to see people again. Obviously as it's me, the plan will no doubt change again tomorrow.

I normally read loads but haven't picked up a book in quite some time. Got about 5 or 6 books that I ordered and haven't got round to reading. Also just got Django Unchained on blue-ray. I'm starting to think it's my favourite Tarantino film.

So, to recap. No poker, plenty of reading and watching good films.
    Prob see you all on the tables tomorrow :)
  • edited October 2013

Have absolutely no idea what I was doing tonight.

So much for not playing!
    Played as badly as I can ever remember and in the end escaped very luckily.
    Only lost £38 on the night.

Had fun playing in a stupid reg game where I just got owned non stop (even by Lambert :)

Really need to sort myself out.
    I've got a good record at the Dym's.
    A decent record at mtt's(small sample)
    I'm good at live cash where due to sitting with more in front of me I have a lot of discipline.

Put me on a 20nl table though and I just spew, peel way too much, basically do everything I wouldn't do in any other game. Tonight, I decided to play 50nl as well, hmmm, tilt much!
    Managed to do a buy in on the first hand I played. I will spare you the details but it's safe to say that it is unlikely that I will ever play a hand as badly again. Doubled up about 3 hands later by just luckboxing it. Played that hand nearly as badly.
    I've somehow made a pretty good profit at cash since starting on Sky but i'm starting to realise that's simply down to rungood.
    I have to stop myself playing cash on here.

Cash game regs. I know i'm the value but can you please tell me to clear off anytime you see me sit at any cash tables. Bit of compassion, baby on the way and all that.
    It would be greatly appreciated.

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man:
    Have absolutely no idea what I was doing tonight. So much for not playing! Played as badly as I can ever remember and in the end escaped very luckily. Only lost £38 on the night. Had fun playing in a stupid reg game where I just got owned non stop (even by Lambert :) Really need to sort myself out. I've got a good record at the Dym's. A decent record at mtt's(small sample) I'm good at live cash where due to sitting with more in front of me I have a lot of discipline. Put me on a 20nl table though and I just spew, peel way too much, basically do everything I wouldn't do in any other game. Tonight, I decided to play 50nl as well, hmmm, tilt much! Managed to do a buy in on the first hand I played. I will spare you the details but it's safe to say that it is unlikely that I will ever play a hand as badly again. Doubled up about 3 hands later by just luckboxing it. Played that hand nearly as badly. I've somehow made a pretty good profit at cash since starting on Sky but i'm starting to realise that's simply down to rungood. I have to stop myself playing cash on here. Cash game regs. I know i'm the value but can you please tell me to clear off anytime you see me sit at any cash tables. Bit of compassion, baby on the way and all that. It would be greatly appreciated.
    Posted by Jac35

haha +1! It was a fun table though. Playing the drunks on Friday night is always fun*

I was also a drunk last night :(

• edited October 2013
    Win the lot today Harry.

Morale is low today.
    Normally shrug off losing sessions very easily and move on. Still upset with how I was playing last night and I could easily have lost loads more.

I've long since realised that i'm pretty average at the game but have been able to make decent money by selecting the right games. Have always thought though that even if i'm not great I  can hold my own against decent opposition. Cash on here recently has knocked that confidence out of me and some absolutely glaring leaks are showing up.
    Always been lazy about working at my game. I really need to start doing this now rather than playing.

I think when you're playing poorly and losing, you start having thoughts like everyone is bluffing you and then just station off with less than premiums etc.
    Had a hand with Gazza last night Where he 3bet the button and then flatted my 4. I did a buy in on that hand and the normal me would have got away, as soon as he flatted, alarm bells went off. I knew I was behind but still went with it. Not smart!

That's me done with the moaning, no more.

Should be a decent weekend. Golfing in 45 mins. Drinking with friends tonight. Sunday night going to Derby to play a 30 rebuy with £500 added, always makes a decent prize pool. Fun poker at Derby. Plenty of limping and 10x raises("because, I hate jacks") that sort of thing. Even the present Jac has an ok chance in that field! I'm also off work on Monday and so no doubt I will have my fair share of Peroni.

Just writing that has just made me have a word with myself regarding the opening part to this post.
    Life is great and i'm very lucky. Happy Jac from now on. I shall endeavour to stop being a whingeing xxxx.

Have a good weekend :)
  • edited October 2013
    hey m8 just popping in to give my input if that`s kool.

with your game apart from the odd spew you could seriously crush 20/30nl if you put your mind to it and never get involved with some reg wars(I do the same sometimes though)and not play under the influenece lol.

I really don`t care what others say we all have our favourite and most profitable formats but I really do think cash is where the money is if you want to consistantly win the moniez and really do think by playing loads of cash with some good players you can improve even more just my imo.

ps. you always own my soul at the table leave me alone plz lol.
  • edited October 2013
    Hey man, just wanted to throw in my weekend pick-me-up as well.

I haven't played against you much at the tables - although last night was fun at 20nl - so I don't want to offer any advice in that department. You're right - when you're losing it's the simplest thing to try and chase the money around the table. But we both know that ain't gonna work/happen/help.

Chill, take a break, have a Kit-Kat, whatever you need to realign your thoughts and get back on track. The tables will still be here when you decide it's time to go fishing again, and I'm sure a fresh perspective on the other side of the weekend is just what the doctor ordered.

And I'll still be here to call off my whole stack with jacks when you put me all in too :)

Have a great time this weekend and destroy the rebuy tomorrow night. That sir, is an order!

B
  • edited October 2013
    Win the lot today Harry. ... Morale is low today. Normally shrug off losing sessions very easily and move on. Still upset with how I was playing last night and I could easily have lost loads more. I've long since realised that i'm pretty average at the game but have been able to make decent money by selecting the right games. Have always thought though that even if i'm not great I  can hold my own against decent opposition. Cash on here recently has knocked that confidence out of me and some absolutely glaring leaks are showing up. Always been lazy about working at my game. I really need to start doing this now rather than playing. I think when you're playing poorly and losing, you start having thoughts like everyone is bluffing you and then just station off with less than premiums etc. Had a hand with Gazza last night Where he 3bet the button and then flatted my 4. I did a buy in on that hand and the normal me would have got away, as soon as he flatted, alarm bells went off. I knew I was behind but still went with it. Not smart! .... That's me done with the moaning, no more. Should be a decent weekend. Golfing in 45 mins. Drinking with friends tonight. Sunday night going to Derby to play a 30 rebuy with £500 added, always makes a decent prize pool. Fun poker at Derby. Plenty of limping and 10x raises("because, I hate jacks") that sort of thing. Even the present Jac has an ok chance in that field! I'm also off work on Monday and so no doubt I will have my fair share of Peroni. Just writing that has just made me have a word with myself regarding the opening part to this post. Life is great and i'm very lucky. Happy Jac from now on. I shall endeavour to stop being a whingeing xxxx. Have a good weekend :)
    Posted by Jac35

Tbf the board didnt help you out at all.  It came 8 high if i remember correctly.  Not too easy to throw away an overpair when youre the aggressor in an already inflated pot.

I enjoyed last night, not just cause i ran pretty well on that 20nl table, but it was good fun playing and chatting with all the regs.  Makes a change from the usual boring people I have on my table... or just those who arent very nice.

Im sure you could crush cash if you just adjusted your game slightly - its so much different to SnGs and Tournaments.  When I first started playing cash I lost an absolute fortune... but have since noted the reasons for doing so im doing slightly better now - although I do have the odd shaky day/hand where i completely lose the plot.

Gl in derby though. Tid :)
  • edited October 2013
    jac
    I have found that online nl20 is equivalent to live nl100
    but it is very difficult to treat nl20 as seriously as nl100
    so you don't play your a game online the same way as you would live
    my advice is to play nl20 online
    no higher
    until you are confident you are bearing it

• edited October 2013
  • edited October 2013
    Thanks guys. Fortunately I'm not cynical enough to think you're all following the first rule of poker. "Always be nice to the value" :)

Geldy
    You've hit the nail on the head. I just don't take it as seriously, which is obviously a huge mistake. 
    I do generally "beat it" but can certainly come unstuck against the better players. 
    Obviously the money on the table is less than when I'm playing live. Even so if I'm playing 6/7 tables some pretty big losses can happen if I'm not playing well.

I disagree about 20nl online and 100nl live being similar. At Dtd maybe but mostly I think it plays a lot softer live. Sure there will be some decent players but 8/9 handed there will always be some decent spots.
    As you say, when I'm playing live I will be far more focussed. Tonight for example when I bust the comp, I'll sit with £200+ and won't be splashing around particulary as a small mistake can quickly lead to a big loss.

I tend to find I read people well at live cash and have done pretty well this year. You soon see who is playing higher than they really want to and can be easily bullied. Also as you know, live players don't like folding and even if you have been fairly nitty, it's amazing how many times when you do smash the board you can get paid off fully by one pair hands etc.
  • edited October 2013

So, didn't go into Derby as planned last night. Got a call from a friend and just had a few drinks instead.
    Got back around midnight and obviously there is no better time to play poker than when you're a little tipsy and a little tired.

Regged 6 Dyms, 2 £10 and 4 £5. Plus a couple of  cash tables. Dtm was on there and I can only imagine he doesn't read this as he didn't tell me to "clear off" as per my request on here.
    Made a few quid at cash and won 5 out of the 6 Dyms.
    This meant that 40 mins after sitting down I had won a quick £40. Very pleased, morale somewhat restored.

Far more importantly, someone was kind enough to pm me and now I can do this!

☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺

Thankyou very much indeed. Morale is now FULLY restored.

• edited October 2013

.....DAM.

#thatisall
  • edited October 2013
    You need to change your title, ramblings of a smiley man :) I can't do the smiley faces, you computer guru you
  • edited October 2013

­­Can you do these?
    ♥ ♦

• edited October 2013
    ­­Can you do these? ♣ ♠ ♥ ♦ ☻
    Posted by jdsallstar
    These old boy?

♠ ◘ ○

I do believe that I can, yes
  • edited October 2013
    ☻    ♠ ◘ ○
    test
    sorry jac,thought i try it out
    great thread btw

• edited October 2013
    ☻  ♥   ♦   ♣  ♠ ◘ ○ test sorry jac,thought i try it out great thread btw ☺
    Posted by stokefc
    Thanks Stoke
  • edited October 2013
    Just played a few £3.30 Dyms alongside the sat for the main tonight.
    Slipwater shows up! For goodness sake man, leave me alone!
    Now I've said I'm going to leave cash it looks like he's going to hunt me down in my other games.
    We both cashed :)

Lost the sat 10's v 8's. Might put it in BB&V. Would fit right in with some of the hands being posted in there at the moment.
    Oh my good! He hit a 2 outer, rigged site.

Just noticed I'm up £1.24 today so that's me done. Gonna book the winning day.
    Good luck all
  • edited October 2013
    Just played a few £3.30 Dyms alongside the sat for the main tonight. Slipwater shows up! For goodness sake man, leave me alone! Now I've said I'm going to leave cash it looks like he's going to hunt me down in my other games. We both cashed :)
    Posted by Jac35
    I get a text alert whenever you have joined a table :)
  • edited October 2013
    Something came up elsewhere today about how people are in real life compared with how they act online.
    Thought it was pretty interesting. 
    The people who I have met at the Spt's have all been close to what I expected. 

An idea was put forward that many are just poor communicators, or struggle with writing and come across in a totally different way to how they intend. I know that I can me overly sarcastic. I'm just trying to have fun with people but  maybe sometimes it's misjudged.  Humour, unless you're blessed with great writing skills,  which I'm not, is quite difficult to get across without just appearing to be rude.

So, it got me thinking. 
    Who do you think may surprise you when you meet them away from a forum?
    For example,  is the poster you're not keen on actually a lovely chap? Is he a cantankerous 83 year old? Is he actually a she? A former lapdancer from Stranraer, who now runs a bakery in Milton Keynes? 
    That kind of thing

• edited October 2013
    Well I was certainly surprised when I Pokey2011 at the SPT in Newcastle. I had this idea (for whatever reason) that he was going to be a snot-nose little brat who left school, had no job, no girfriend, and kept his virginity in a jar...

...turns out not all of that was true.
  • edited October 2013
    Is he a cantankerous 83 year old?
    Posted by Jac35
    I did look for you at Birmingham on that basis
    only to find out it wasn't all true
  • edited October 2013
    Fun night
    Played 5 £11Dyms and won them all.
    Entered the main, didn't get started and didn't bother rebuying

Played the mini and came 5th. Had a crazy table with about 65 left. In a £5 6max game. Mattbates, Gerrard9, Tallytink,Gliterbabe and Pokey.
    Wish I could say I played well but that wouldn't be true.
    My luckboxing ability kicked into full gear and when I didn't have to play any poker I was pretty awesome at all ins.
    With 8 left, I absolutely massacred a hand where I had 9's in the bb. Flatted a raise from guy who was playing super aggressively and didn't really do folding preflop once he'd put a raise in.
    Paid him off 3 streets on AA854 board.
    Huge leak, pretty backwards thinking on my part, trying to play small ball and then check calling all the way, making it the biggest pot I played all night.
    Went out shoving 9 bigs with 9's.

I'm still playing on old tables wherever I can, do prefer them. Noticed when I opened up the other tables in the tourney, they loaded up the new tables.
  • edited October 2013
    Good to see you survived the 'table of death' en route to the mini FT. Wp sir! 
  • edited October 2013
    Pork scratchings, grrrr
    Chipped tooth, dentists Monday.
    I hate dentists. A few years ago I was sent to the training hospital at Sheffield. Had a dentist from Iraq, who didn't seem to believe in anesthetic,  fit 6 crowns. Pretty traumatic actually. In the chair for around 4 hours a time for a period of around 6 weeks to get it done.
    I was kind of lucky. My normal dentist said that I wouldn't be able to afford the treatment required to sort my useless teeth out. He thought I was exactly the sort of case that the teaching hospital required. Thus, the work was done for nothing.
    Bizarrely though, after having gone through that, you would imagine I would take future work as a piece of cake, I am now terrified of dentists.
    Sigh, pay the man his money and get out of there as quickly as possible.. Tooth feels like a razor blade and it's impossible to stop running my tongue over it. 

Slightly more cheerful. 
    The rams are going up!
  • edited October 2013
    Something fishy about Derby's winner yesterday.
  • edited October 2013
    Enjoyable last few days in the main.
    Won the £2000 rebuy on Friday night for £570, which is my best win to date on Sky. Got lucky at one stage to double up when I made a pretty average call. After that was really pleased with my game.

Went to the Derby match yesterday and even though we may have only drawn and not played particulary well, there are real signs of improvement. Biggest gate of the season and there is an air of optimism that has been lacking for the last few years. Wisdom, looks like a great loan signing and if Mclaren gets money to spend in January, which I think he will, then I think we could be pushing for the top six.

Went over to Dtd today and met up with some of the usual suspects. Played he £100 and never got anything going. Posted a hand in the clinic which was really annoying but happy with how I played it. Went out shipping QQ from small blind against cut off open. He thought he was priced in, he wasn't and called it off with Ace 10.

Bit of a quandary for me at the moment regarding tourneys on here. So much fun when a decent amount comes your way and I've run really well in the small amount I've played on here. Trouble is, I think I'm just running good and far better players than me, Harry and Gazza for example have talked about their recent downswings. With the Dyms, whilst the profits are much slower, I know I will beat them and plod along  quite nicely. Tourneys are different. You can go a long time without a decent score and do a fair bit of cash along the way. Hmmm....

Thought the SPT didn't really have the same feel as the other ones I've been to. I know they're about attracting new customers but it's nice when the majority are sky players. This one priced out a lot of the normal players. I'm just not sure at a venue like DTD you're actually going to be attracting new people to the site. Most people playing £330 buyin comps are already going to be pretty aware of which online site they want to play on in my opinion.
  • edited October 2013
    Enjoyable last few days in the main. Won the £2000 rebuy on Friday night for £570, which is my best win to date on Sky. Got lucky at one stage to double up when I made a pretty average call. After that was really pleased with my game. Went to the Derby match yesterday and even though we may have only drawn and not played particulary well, there are real signs of improvement. Biggest gate of the season and there is an air of optimism that has been lacking for the last few years. Wisdom, looks like a great loan signing and if Mclaren gets money to spend in January, which I think he will, then I think we could be pushing for the top six. Went over to Dtd today and met up with some of the usual suspects. Played he £100 and never got anything going. Posted a hand in the clinic which was really annoying but happy with how I played it. Went out shipping QQ from small blind against cut off open. He thought he was priced in, he wasn't and called it off with Ace 10. Bit of a quandary for me at the moment regarding tourneys on here. So much fun when a decent amount comes your way and I've run really well in the small amount I've played on here. Trouble is, I think I'm just running good and far better players than me, Harry and Gazza for example have talked about their recent downswings. With the Dyms, whilst the profits are much slower, I know I will beat them and plod along  quite nicely. Tourneys are different. You can go a long time without a decent score and do a fair bit of cash along the way. Hmmm.... Thought the SPT didn't really have the same feel as the other ones I've been to. I know they're about attracting new customers but it's nice when the majority are sky players. This one priced out a lot of the normal players. I'm just not sure at a venue like DTD you're actually going to be attracting new people to the site. Most people playing £330 buyin comps are already going to be pretty aware of which online site they want to play on in my opinion.
    Posted by Jac35

This is absurd.......You're way better than Gazza ;)

• edited October 2013

My hand of the day. Not often your all in gets called by the nut worst hand!

Hand History #704496908 (00:19 29/10/2013)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Lambert180 Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £40.96
    ricoramb03 Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £21.47
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

Jac35 Raise  £0.60 £0.90 £17.86
    XRaise  £1.00 £1.90 £63.65
    Lambert180 Call  £0.90 £2.80 £40.06
    ricoramb03 Fold     
    Jac35 Raise  £2.20 £5.00 £15.66
    XCall  £1.80 £6.80 £61.85