You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited November 2013
    My gamble has left me!

I've been railing some of the tourneys this week and obviously there have been some fantastic results.
    I must admit I'm a bit envious. I just can't bring myself to buyin for these events nowadays. Just a few years ago I'd have probably played them all. I think the days of huge swings have gone for me.

When I started playing, I was at Gala in Nottingham 5 days a week playing every competition. A lot of £20 rebuys back then that would make fantastic prize pools but could be a real drain on your wallet. No cashes in a week and you would probably be down a few hundred for the week. Just one result though in those and it was brilliant. It feels so much more 'real' somehow when you walk to the cash desk and get given your winnings.

I suppose it's just natural that I don't do it these days. Married, mortgage, child on the way. I do miss it though. It's so dull that if I ever do well in a tourney now, rather than think that it sets me up to play more of them, I think "lovely, that'll pay for the new fridge freezer" 

I've tried a few of the sats and not got close to getting seats. Even if I do get through a sat , it means a long night is in store. I'd really like Sky to have the tournament tokens thing. I accept though that they probably just wouldn't get the numbers required.

QPR tomorrow, not confident although we do have a fabulous away record. Still hugely optimistic for this season. January will be key. Very interested to see if Mclaren is given the sort of month we need to mount a real challenge. Also, can we keep Hughes?
  • edited November 2013
    that hand is brilliant! maybe he thought 3 pair was a hand?! lol
  • edited November 2013
    UKOPS was rubbish for me.
    Played a four few sats for them and managed to get a seat in 1 event!! Stunning work.
    Played the £11 rebuy and the £5 mini tonight and just meandered along for a while in both. Standard exits really. All a bit boring.

Fortunately, I managed to do the play bad and win thing at the Dyms today and cashed in the majority of them.
    Started putting the volume in again at the £10's and always nice to get the rungood in those rather than when I'm messing around in the £3.30's

Went out for Sunday dinner again today. After having them all my life I was quite pleased when Penny said she wasn't bothered about them when we first met. Now, after 7 years, I'm missing them. I want more. I love Yorkshire puddings.

Why is it that nice things always cost so much more?
    Peroni is amazing.

Still thinking about having a bit of a rest from poker. Doesn't really happen though. Always end up playing a bit each day.
    At least I've started reading again. Good book by Mark Giminez is being raced through. I've got 'The Kill List" by Frederick Forsythe ready to go next.
    Proper ramblings tonight.
  • edited November 2013
    I think this is called variance, lol

Just started tonight.
    Loaded up 5 Dyms and thought I'd play the dtd

On bubble in all 4 Dyms 

JJ v 55 - he makes straight 
    AA v Q7 - all hoes in on Q high flop, river 7
    AK v KQ - he turns another Q
    AQ v 77 - all in pre. I flop Ace on 3 club board and have K of clubs, he hits one outer on river

Dtd 
    IrishRose limps on the button, I check BB with Q8
    Flop Q84

We get it all in on flop. I make full house on turn, she hits Ace on river

GG me tonight
    Not to worry, I've run really well recently, so I'm due a bit of runbad. 
    Bored of it now though, stop please
  • edited November 2013
    Wow!
    Really should have turned off

Not sure I've won a hand yet tonight.

Just gone out another tourney with AA against a turned straight. He was going all the way anyway.
    First hand of a Dym, a gentleman open shoves all in with 8's. I call with aces and he hits set on river.
    Just donked off a buy in at cash. Then another one goes when a hero 4bets all in with 45 against me and gets there.

Think by next update, I might well be bankrupt.

Maybe turning off for the night would have been / is a better plan :)
  • edited November 2013
    Phew!

Get in you little fighter.
    Finished £3 down. If you add on rake, prolly more like 85p!

Could have done better but got disco'ed when I had 6 games running. Got back on and had been blinded out in 3 of them.
    Never really had disconnects on here before but had 2 or 3 recently. So annoying.

Normal service will resume tomorrow.
    Feels good to have the odd rant. Apologies for making this one of those 'chuntering' threads
  • edited November 2013
    chunter away brother best diary on here
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man:
    chunter away brother best diary on here
    Posted by stokefc
    A daily must-read for me. I can't read "just poker", I need a little balance, some side stories, & reasonably well-presented, with paragraphs & line breaks.

Long may it last.  

• edited November 2013
    Thanks Stoke and Tikay. 
    "Reasonably well presented" . Think I'll take that as a compliment.  :)

BTW Tikay. 
    From elsewhere.  I loved Paul Calf. 
    That line is still something that gets wheeled out every now and again with a few mate's
  • edited November 2013
    Thanks Stoke and Tikay.  "Reasonably well presented" . Think I'll take that as a compliment.  :) BTW Tikay.  From elsewhere.  I loved Paul Calf.  That line is still something that gets wheeled out every now and again with a few mate's
    Posted by Jac35
    Ha! "reasonably well-presented" was my reference to ANY Diary, not just yours, I was explaining my "likes". 

One has to be careful these days, say "poorly presented diaries with no punctuation are rubbish" & all sorts of malcontents jump on your head. But it IS important, & it DOES matter, & ANYONE can use a spell-check, & insert a few paragraphs. If things are hard ro read, folks won't read them. Easy to read, yes, you have a chance. We write because we like to write, but we also like others to read what we write. So we ought to make it easy for them to read.

Paul: "That is class. You can't buy class."

Bob: "Where did you get the fog lamps?"

Paul:"Halfords
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man : Ha! "reasonably well-presented" was my reference to ANY Diary, not just yours, I was explaining my "likes".  One has to be careful these days, say "poorly presented diaries with no punctuation are rubbish" & all sorts of malcontents jump on your head. But it IS important, & it DOES matter, & ANYONE can use a spell-check, & insert a few paragraphs. If things are hard ro read, folks won't read them. Easy to read, yes, you have a chance. We write because we like to write, but we also like others to read what we write. So we ought to make it easy for them to read.   Paul: "That is class. You can't buy class." Bob: "Where did you get the fog lamps?" Paul:"Halfords
    Posted by Tikay10
    hoist & petard Tikay? final punctuation......
    ps i opt out of capitalization to prove my individuality, not purely due to incompetence
  • edited November 2013
    Tikay, talks about threads being reasonably well presented. Gulp.
    I cringe, whenever I look back at my error strewn posts. Many, I do from ipad or phone and whilst I always start out with the best of intentions, I often just ignore the mistakes and press post.
    Embarrassingly, I did English language at A-Level. In my defence, this is the first time in nearly 20 years that I have actually written for pleasure.

My sister is the clever one. I'm  the family thicko, chip, shoulder, much! Incredibly proud of her. She married and had children young and wasn't able to go to university. About 5 years ago, the local paper offered scholarships to 3 people who they deemed worthy. Lots of people applied and Sally was given a place. She didn't let them down and graduated with a First Class Honours degree in English language. Thank goodness she doesn't read this! She now teaches at the Primary School we went to as children.

I do a lot of reading, mainly fiction nonsense. Sally just reads non-fiction and has a far greater knowledge than me. I remember when I did History A-Level. I had this huge chunk of a book, 'Hitler- A study in tyranny'. I used to just read the bits I required for assignments. Sally, however, just grabbed it and read it through cover to cover.

We're off to see my Uncle Ken in a couple of weeks in Chester. He's now 96. He was an architect and did well enough to retire on his 50th birthday. Imagine that? being retired for nearly half your life. His son and daughter-in-law, will also be there. He is a retired head teacher and she was a solicitor. They're all proper posh like and are lovely. They try very hard to dumb down the conversation for me and treat me as an equal. chip, shoulder, much? I love their eccentricities. Last time I was up they had just come back from Turkmenistan. I asked them why they had been there and liked the answer. "Well, we just fancied going somewhere to see some nice Mosques. So, we thought that we would pop off there for a while"

Uncle Ken is still an excellent pianist. His eyesight is failing now and he plays from memory. I always think there is something beautiful about hearing music played well. I was brought up listening to Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn etc and still enjoy it. I know that there's a chance I'm in the minority here but give me Beethovens Pastoral Symphony any day over Tinie Tempah!
  • edited November 2013
    Had JJ v 77's tonight in a Dym and lost!
    How can that happen? I never lose with Jacks. Stupid rigged poker.
    Got my daily fix. Put in some real volume (5 games) £3 profit.
    Spent the winnings on a Costa and a double decker.
    I live the high life.

Watched Man City earlier. Like Negrado. Seems like a proper old fashioned centre forward.
    Not many around these days. 
    Confused as to what they have such a poor defence. Company and Zabaletta are fine but with that much money surely you can do better than the others. The one thing holding them back from doing well in Europe, I think.
    Remarkably similar to Derby. With a couple more defenders, we'll obviously be looking at the Champions League in a couple of years. :)
  • edited November 2013
    Had JJ v 77's tonight in a Dym and lost! How can that happen? I never lose with Jacks. Stupid rigged poker. Got my daily fix. Put in some real volume (5 games) £3 profit. Spent the winnings on a Costa and a double decker. I live the high life. Watched Man City earlier. Like Negrado. Seems like a proper old fashioned centre forward. Not many around these days.  Confused as to what they have such a poor defence. Company and Zabaletta are fine but with that much money surely you can do better than the others. The one thing holding them back from doing well in Europe, I think. Remarkably similar to Derby. With a couple more defenders, we'll obviously be looking at the Champions League in a couple of years. :)
    Posted by Jac35
    Gonna have to pull you up on this sir. Kompany is the glue that holds our back line together, this I concede (no pun intended). But in Nastasic, we have a very promising young centre half. Clichy is one of the better left backs around. What Lescott lacks in pace and the ability to play the ball out of defence, he makes up for in old school English defending. Demichellis, whilst clearly a panic buy due to our injuries, is actually a pretty acomplished centre half (made La Liga team of year last season), who should do a decent job for us for a couple of years. And if Micah Richards wasn't made of glass, he'd have progress a hell of a lot more in the last 2 years. As it is, I take Pablo over him all day long.

Granted, with our somewhat limited European experience, we can and do get caught out, and I don't think MP is as big on the defensive side of the game as Mr Mancini was. A new defensive coaching team that mostly speak Spanish probably doesn't help either ;)

When everyone is fit, we have a pretty tight defensive unit. Don't quote me on this but I think we have the best defensive record in the Prem for 3 years running. I'd be quite disappointed if we shelled out £30m on Pepe for example, when the Nasty/Vince partnership has years of potential. 
  • edited November 2013
    Had JJ v 77's tonight in a Dym and lost! How can that happen? I never lose with Jacks. Stupid rigged poker. Got my daily fix. Put in some real volume (5 games) £3 profit. Spent the winnings on a Costa and a double decker. I live the high life. Watched Man City earlier. Like Negrado. Seems like a proper old fashioned centre forward. Not many around these days.  Confused as to what they have such a poor defence. Company and Zabaletta are fine but with that much money surely you can do better than the others. The one thing holding them back from doing well in Europe, I think. Remarkably similar to Derby. With a couple more defenders, we'll obviously be looking at the Champions League in a couple of years. :)
    Posted by Jac35
    I was forced to sit through United in Spain.

Confused as to why United have such a poor attack, it will hold them back in Europe! ;)

Dire to watch. Not as dull as Spurs though.

Ze Germans seem streets ahead, Bayern should have won by 5 @ the Etthiad a few weeks back. Dortmund too good for Arsenal @ the Emirates. How did they get so good again so quick? :/

Watching England here against Aussies 2nd team. Seems Carberry is going to open in the 1st test with Root back @ 6. 

Kick in the nackers for Compton. Understanble being dropped for Root, who is young and tipped to open for England for the next 15 years.

But then to find himself behind Carberry who's 33 and probably has 2 years tops left. Brutal.

16 days to go !!!!!! :D:D:D

*btw, I was looking at the leaderboards on sharkscope the other day, and it seems you are the 9th best dym player at your stakes in the World.

Disappointing, I'd expect top 5 at least.

Sort it arrrrt.
  • edited November 2013
    My hand of the day. Not often your all in gets called by the nut worst hand! Hand History #704496908 (00:19 29/10/2013) Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance Lambert180 Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £40.96 ricoramb03 Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £21.47   Your hole cards A A       Jac35 Raise   £0.60 £0.90 £17.86 X Raise   £1.00 £1.90 £63.65 Lambert180 Call   £0.90 £2.80 £40.06 ricoramb03 Fold         Jac35 Raise   £2.20 £5.00 £15.66 X Call   £1.80 £6.80 £61.85 Lambert180 Fold         Flop     9 9 4       Jac35 Bet   £1.80 £8.60 £13.86 X Call   £1.80 £10.40 £60.05 Turn     7       Jac35 Bet   £4.80 £15.20 £9.06 X Call   £4.80 £20.00 £55.25 River     7       Jac35 All-in   £9.06 £29.06 £0.00 X Call   £9.06 £38.12 £46.19 Jac35 Show A A       X Show 2 2       Jac35 Win Two Pairs, Aces and 9s £36.32   £36.32 Prev Close window Next
    Posted by Jac35
    He had 3 pairs.  Of course he's going to stack off!
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man : I was forced to sit through United in Spain. Confused as to why United have such a poor attack, it will hold them back in Europe! ;) Dire to watch. Not as dull as Spurs though. Ze Germans seem streets ahead, Bayern should have won by 5 @ the Etthiad a few weeks back. Dortmund too good for Arsenal @ the Emirates. How did they get so good again so quick? :/ Watching England here against Aussies 2nd team. Seems Carberry is going to open in the 1st test with Root back @ 6.  Kick in the nackers for Compton. Understanble being dropped for Root, who is young and tipped to open for England for the next 15 years. But then to find himself behind Carberry who's 33 and probably has 2 years tops left. Brutal. 16 days to go !!!!!! :D:D:D *btw, I was looking at the leaderboards on sharkscope the other day, and it seems you are the 9th best dym player at your stakes in the World. Disappointing, I'd expect top 5 at least. Sort it arrrrt.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Ok

I was considering just ending the thread there and then.
    You pointing out I was the 9th best player in the world at my stakes.Yeah, that'll do me.
    Trouble is, it's the perfect example of how misleading stats can sometimes be. Very few sites now offer this type of game and it is just over a 500 game sample.
    A Sky player at the top of it as well!. Gerrard is the real deal though. An awesome average profit per game. Amazing that a land that has given us Conor Sammon and Richard Keogh, can also produce a Gerrard!

• edited November 2013
    Posting from iPad, so having to do multiples.

Dohhhh 
    Do you really think Root is that good?
    I actually think he caused a lot of our problems in the last series.
    Under Vaughn, we really went on the offensive got the first time in years and surprised the Australians. Suddenly we were scoring at 4 an over and putting them under pressure.
    Root, hung around for ages at the start of innings without really scoring. This allowed the Aussies to keep attacking us, as no runs we're being put on the board. It also heaped pressure on his partners to try and keep the scoreboard ticking along.
    If it wasn't for that one innings, I imagine he would have been dropped. In total he scored 339 runs in the series. Take away the 180, he got dropped early on remember?, and his average was pretty poor.

I think this series could be very good. Both teams are far weaker than they were a few years back but the way the Aussies played at the end of the series, suggests it could be close.
    Still think we'll win.
    No thoughts on Beethoven, Mozart or Haydn?
  • edited November 2013
    Harry
    Aargh. Hate getting names wrong. 'Kompany"

I still beg to differ.
    I thought Lescott and Kompany were a good partnership. For whatever reason though, Lescott seems to have been out of favour with both Mancini and the new bloke.
    Really not convinced by the other two.
    Think Clichy is ok but up against top drawer players, I think he would prove a weakness.
    Not a patch on Cole, Baines, Evra.

By money spent, I was thinking of stuff like £14? Million on Rodwell from Everton. I'm sure at the beginning of last season that would have bought you Baines. Signing Rodwell seemed pointless to me. Never going to be anymore than a bit part player for you.
  • edited November 2013
    Evra? That some kind of sick joke?! This ain't 2009!

I like Lescott, but he is so old school. Think most managers prefer to have 'footballing' centre halves these days. Lescott just looks so awkward on the ball, I've seen ferries turn quicker than him. He's good at what he does, but his game is limited. Whereas I'd say in Vinny K, we have the perfect centre half (when he's bloody fit anyway!). 

Nasty compliments Kompany pretty well. He's still young and developing, but his potential is huge. His debut away at Real Madrid gave us Blues a taste of things to come, as he was so composed for a 19 year old in a very challenging game/environment. 

As for Rodwell, your guess is as good as mine. Brian Marwood is probably the only man who can give a reason as to why we bought him. I actually think he's quite a good player, but his injury problems are well documented, and he will never get to the level of a Yaya Toure or Fernandinho (really starting to impress me). 
  • edited November 2013
    Hook, line and sinker Harry :)

• edited November 2013
    Lescott<<<Nastasic<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Terry

Can.

Worms.
  • edited November 2013
    Sigh 
    Saw Gazza had posted and was all excited.

"What does he want to talk to me about?" I wondered
    "It's really nice when people post on my thread, makes it all seem worthwhile" I thought.

Oh
    He just wants to talk to Harry. :(
    Bedtime

Harry, get your own thread
  • edited November 2013
    Sigh  Saw Gazza had posted and was all excited. "What does he want to talk to me about?" I wondered "It's really nice when people post on my thread, makes it all seem worthwhile" I thought. Oh He just wants to talk to Harry. :( Bedtime Harry, get your own thread
    Posted by Jac35
    If it makes you feel better I almost never get this feeling.

And if I do... its usually from Harry and I end up thinking 'God... what does he want?'

Harry, get your own thread.
  • edited November 2013
    No thoughts on Beethoven, Mozart or Haydn?
    Posted by Jac35

nope,

prefer Richard Strauss. studied  Till Eulenspiegel's Merry Pranks at school but clearly Also sprach Zarathustra as used in 2001 is the tune über alles

talking of über allesI guess you're not a fan of the dead kennedys - unless your span of musical taste is as eclectic as mine?
  • edited November 2013
    Posting from iPad, so having to do multiples. Dohhhh  Do you really think Root is that good? I actually think he caused a lot of our problems in the last series. Under Vaughn, we really went on the offensive got the first time in years and surprised the Australians. Suddenly we were scoring at 4 an over and putting them under pressure. Root, hung around for ages at the start of innings without really scoring. This allowed the Aussies to keep attacking us, as no runs we're being put on the board. It also heaped pressure on his partners to try and keep the scoreboard ticking along. If it wasn't for that one innings, I imagine he would have been dropped. In total he scored 339 runs in the series. Take away the 180, he got dropped early on remember?, and his average was pretty poor. I think this series could be very good. Both teams are far weaker than they were a few years back but the way the Aussies played at the end of the series, suggests it could be close. Still think we'll win. .. No thoughts on Beethoven, Mozart or Haydn?
    Posted by Jac35
    Yeh he will be. I know what you mean though.

I think the Aussie bowlers deserve a lot of credit for the way they kept on top of us, we never really got away and aside from the Duke of Bellington, nobody scored mega runs.

The pitches were also dire, and not really helpful for either team to bat positively. Although the Aussies did a decent job at times :/

Pitches in Aus will be much better, Roooooot will score runs.

Actually like the option of Root opening, and bringing Stokes in @ 6 (or 7 if Prior moves up). Might need 4 seemers and he can get it down @ 90mph!

Aussies favourites for me.

Never heard of the first 2, but Haydn was quality. He could probably still do a better job opening for Aus than Twatto & Warner and he's been retired 5 years.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man : Yeh he will be. I know what you mean though. I think the Aussie bowlers deserve a lot of credit for the way they kept on top of us, we never really got away and aside from the Duke of Bellington, nobody scored mega runs. The pitches were also dire, and not really helpful for either team to bat positively. Although the Aussies did a decent job at times :/ Pitches in Aus will be much better, Roooooot will score runs. Actually like the option of Root opening, and bringing Stokes in @ 6 (or 7 if Prior moves up). Might need 4 seemers and he can get it down @ 90mph! Aussies favourites for me. Never heard of the first 2, but Haydn was quality. He could probably still do a better job opening for Aus than Twatto & Warner and he's been retired 5 years.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Very well batted

Think it was Jones who threw the ball at Haydn. Foolish/brave delete as appropriate
  • edited November 2013
    Mrs J away down south all weekend.
    Ah, the single life, what to do?
    Golf organised for Sunday

Saturday
    Watch the Mighty Rams win obviously.
    At night. hmmm options.
    Drink copious amounts of Peroni in the local, or drink copious amounts of Estrella in the local Genting. 2nd option gives me a chance to win a few quid playing my fellow drunks. 1st one gives me a chance to not blow £300 trying to win a few quid of my fellow drunks.

Either way, kebab on the way home.
    Makes me reminisce of days gone by.

Town and then on the odd occasion(ok, vast majority) of times when I didn't pull, I would get a kebab, get home and put on Match of the Day, if I'd remembered to 'tape it'. Fall asleep after 10 minutes with a half eaten shish. Wake up in the morning to see an empty plate and the cat licking it's lips and smiling at me.
    A few hours later, I would hear a few groans from the litter tray and Oscar would come out glaring at me.
    He really misses his once a week kebab. He did prefer the doner but in truth wasn't too fussy.
  • edited November 2013

Come on you Rams!
    2 points off the play-offs now and some money to spend in January.

Still not sure what to do tonight.
    Casino, favourite at the moment.

Just looked up 'Paul Calf' that Tikay quoted from a couple of days ago. Can't believe it's 20 years ago and prolly hardly anyone on here has seen it. Early Steve Coogan stuff.
    Loved the opening to it

"Hello, my name's Paul Calf, support Man City. Like drinking, like a laugh, chat, you know - bit of a debate, argument, scrap, fight, punch up, break some bloke's nose, I like life"

Always liked Coogans stuff. Preferred "Knowing me, knowing you" to Alan Partridge. I'm in the minority there. Really enjoyed "The Trip" with Rob Brydon. It was pretty poorly reviewed. Lot of stuff about it being 'smug' and 'self-serving arrogance'. I just thought it was clever and funny.

Boom! Just found 'Knowing me, knowing you' on Lovefilm
    Might be staying in tonight now.

• edited November 2013
    Just been chatbox tilting.
    Obv no abusing, just sulky comments like "just shove, imposs you lose" and "have you evr lost an allin?"
    Very mature behaviour.

Never do it normally thank goodness.
    Just had the same good reg beat me on the bubble in 5 or 6 games, whether he was ahead or behind.
    Final straw was in last £10 game where I went down to 100 chips on bubble and got it back to 2000 chips. all in bvb with JJ V K10. He makes his flush, grrrr

Nice to know after 7000 Dym's I can still tilt.
    I'm a knob, off to Golf Course.