You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man:
    *THREAD CLOSED*
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Lol

I'm not joking though.
    Way too heavy handed at present
  • edited September 2013
    I've come to the decision that from now on, I will just post solely in this thread.
    Reason, I've become grumpy.

I keep seeing threads/posts that are just designed to ridicule and upset people, and I just can't help myself and post something sarcastic to the the guy who in my opinion is the offender.
    There's a lovely thread tonight where someone has kindly titled it "how clueless is this guy" and left all the names in the hand history. The "clueless" player is someone who has been a real asset to the forum in my view. He wrote a while back about some of the difficulties he has had in life and has been really keen to improve his poker. Why would someone decide to abuse him in this way? Absolutely baffles me.

There have been plenty of other threads similar to this recently and it just saddens me.

So from now on 'HappyJac' is back and will be keeping you all enthralled by his Dym exploits.
  • edited September 2013
    I've come to the decision that from now on, I will just post solely in this thread. Reason, I've become grumpy. I keep seeing threads/posts that are just designed to ridicule and upset people, and I just can't help myself and post something sarcastic to the the guy who in my opinion is the offender. There's a lovely thread tonight where someone has kindly titled it "how clueless is this guy" and left all the names in the hand history. The "clueless" player is someone who has been a real asset to the forum in my view. He wrote a while back about some of the difficulties he has had in life and has been really keen to improve his poker. Why would someone decide to abuse him in this way? Absolutely baffles me. There have been plenty of other threads similar to this recently and it just saddens me. So from now on 'HappyJac' is back and will be keeping you all enthralled by his Dym exploits.
    Posted by Jac35
    Morning Paul.

I'm afraid that all Forums & Communties go through phases, & moods. It is almost as if they are living things, & have good & bad days, & moods. Happiness is contagious, but so is moaning & groaning.

It is SO important to strive to maintain a good balance, which is what regulars like you do - in every Community, be it on a Forum, or in real life, there are giver & takers. You have been a giver here, & I hope you continue.

Until I read this, I had not seen the Post to which you alluded. I have now. I have to be a little discrete in expressing my view, but I pretty much agree with every word of the reply you wrote.

Honestly, I've seen most things in my life, good bad & inexplicable. Why on earth people would start threads such as that is completely beyond me. There is no acceptable explanation whatsoever.   

When I see stuff like that, more & more I think my time Online is done. I really don't want to be exposed to reading nonsense & flaming like that, it angers me & upsets me. 

Bad winners & bad losers......sheesh.

I shall write via PM to the guy on the wrong end of it & express my private views to him. He did not deserve a thread like that. All over a hand of poker? The world's gone truly bonkers.

People see that sort of stuff 24/7 on the likes of 2+2 & think it is normal. It is not, & nobody behaves like that when not hiding behind their Computer. 

I know you disagree with a few things on the Community of late, & I respect that. I hope you'll persevere here, the vast majority (frequently silent) are good folks, don't let the minority mar your enjoyment. 

I also noted you Posted on another thread yesterday, where is was quite certain that trolling was taking place. It is being dealt with. 

Not coming to Newcastle this weekend? Shame, it'd be grand to see you, & many of the regulars feel the same. I hope you'll reconsider, it'd be great to see you up there.    

• edited September 2013
    Ugh, just seen that thread you are talking about, real shame and disappointed in who posted it. No need for that what-so-ever.

The forum has not been brilliant in the last couple of weeks. The other thread you spoke out on the guy was simply trolling. People like that best just to ignore them, the type of responses he was receiving is what he thrives upon.

Good luck DYM Jac, and see you at new castle if you are going.
  • edited September 2013
    Sent you a PM Tikay
  • edited September 2013
    Sent you a PM Tikay
    Posted by Jac35
    Hi Paul.

Have replied, but I'm sorry, I'm not having it.

As far as I am concerned, Team Green are the greatest, & it's no good you trying to join us now we are unbeaten, & have got the Title sewn up.

Sorry, but I don't care if you have won an SPT, we don't want you.

Do I make myself clear? 
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man : Hi Paul. Have replied, but I'm sorry, I'm not having it. As far as I am concerned, Team Green are the greatest, & it's no good you trying to join us now we are unbeaten, & have got the Title sewn up. Sorry, but I don't care if you have won an SPT, we don't want you. Do I make myself clear?  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Sigh
    Are the pills not working today Flash? (Oops, I mean Tikay)

You are clearly in a delusional state if you believe that someone of my pedigree, an SPT winner no less, would want to join your ramshackle team.
  • edited September 2013
    Howay the Jac

Conversation went  like this.

Penny, sweetheart
    Yes handsome lovegod
    You know I'm rubbish at comps at the moment?
    Yes, you're a cod
    Well it's fish, but that's not important right now. My luck must change soon so I've decided to buy in to a live game.
    Sure, why not. The 30 quid iceout at Derby?
    It's freeze out but that's not important right now. No, it's at Newcastle and a £110. I'll only be gone for 3 days, spend about £450 when I factor in buyin, accommodation, fuel, food and beer.
    No problem darling, enjoy yourself.

That's a faithful account of the conversation other than the last line!

See you all there
  • edited September 2013
    hey ill have you know ive had my pills more bromide nursey howay the lads just waiting for confirmation of spt seat paul fingers crossed
  • edited September 2013
    Just back from SPT.

Great fun as ever. Played the main and a side. No cashes but never mind, really enjoyed it.
    As is now becoming the norm at these events I enjoyed a couple of drinks with Liam, Henrik, Pokey and a few others.
    I always think that I'm a happy drunk but every time wake up the next day worrying that I may have offended someone at some stage. I really hope not.

Played cash on Friday and was struggling but managed to win a nice pot when I was all in pre with JJ. Tikay had 5bet me all in and I wasn't exactly loving life but had put in too much to consider folding. It was a 3 way all in. Tikay had AK and other guy, a local I think, had Ace 5. J on the flop was reasonably nice.

Pleasure to play with Tikay. He sat with £200 and absolutely bossed the table for an hour and played really well. Being such a gent, he played for longer than i think he intended to. He had won a lot early on and wasn't comfortable with leaving even though most of the people he had taken money off had left the table. He also had to put up with me droning on for a couple of hours. I really should learn to shut up!

Eventful trip up to Newcastle. Took 5 hours due to congestion and accidents. Sat nav packed up just as I was getting into Newcastle. Could hardly see in the rain. Went over a bridge that was for buses and taxis only. Waiting for fine to come through post. Eventually found my hotel and car park. Thought I'd found car park entrance, it was actually a pedestrian crossing. Bounced my car over the curb and heard a huge crunch. Saturday morning was spent at the garage. Fortunately, no damage.
    May get train next time!

• edited September 2013
    good meeting you again mate always good fun catching up with you on and off the tables.

also I still remember that little dance you did after you left table with all that money still makes me laugh lol.

I will be trying get to nottingham so hope catch up with you again but prob see on the tables before then so good luck and take care mate.
  • edited September 2013

Nice meeting you at the weekend!

Was good fun playing the same table as you, bit of a bizarre table! So much limping going on lol

• edited September 2013
    *Warning little brag post*

Well as it appears that I've suddenly become the worst DYM player on the site, possibly even the world, I thought i'd have a dabble at MTT's tonight.

Had good results, played 4 and won 1 for £88.80 and came 4th in another for £47.40 plus about a tenner in heads.
    Do enjoy the tourneys, Got nowhere in the £3000 rebuy or the mini but happy with the nights work.

Tried my first sat for the SPT as well but no good. Wish they would do the sats as rebuys.
  • edited September 2013
    Nice wins today Paul. Was good seeing you in Newcastle albeit breifly. 
  • edited September 2013
    Very well done!
  • edited September 2013
    Nice results  - keep up the posting
  • edited September 2013
    Going to do a couple of posts today. 
    One contains big news for the Jackson family, the other is going to be a long thing about life, work and poker. 

Big news

Just before I set off for SPT Birmingham, Mrs Jackson sat me down and said that it might be a good time to actually cash in a competition. "Why?" I asked. "Because I'm pregnant" was the answer I wasn't quite expecting.

Absolutely thrilled. I had always been one of those people who said he didn't mind either way if they had children or not. Now, I'm just so excited. Penny has dreamed all her life of being a Mum and had begun to prepare for it not to happen. We're now about halfway through and things are going to plan so far. 

Penny is a sonographer. Basically, her job is to scan pregnant women. 
    This is kind of a blessing and a curse at the same time.  We get free scan pictures :) and she has so much help and support from her colleagues. The slight downside, although we've been fine, is that she knows too much. She knows all the statistics for different things and so on and being a worrier like me, this has stressed her at times.

Baby Jackson due in February.

• edited September 2013
    :)

Huge congrats!

Think you might have to edit the title of this diary, when Mrs.Jackson sat you down and told you that I'd assumed it must be your neice or sister or something!

Now you know what it means, I can say, old??? pfffft!

Cracking news, vbol! (another 1 for the urban dictionary, u need the practise now!)   :) 
  • edited September 2013

Congrats Paul and more congrats to Penny!!

....you will now know the true meaning of feeling like an old man!

Maybe  stressful at times.....but worth every minute of it mate.

Best wishes from all TKP.
  • edited September 2013
    Congrats Paul on the big news delighted for you and your good lady!

Little ones are absolutely brilliant! You might have to say goodbye to that single figure golf handicap lol but they're worth it! 

Ps oh and appreciate your sleep while u still can get some lol

Congrats again!
  • edited September 2013
    I echo what I said in the chat box before...congrats!
  • edited September 2013
    Congrats Paul, great news. Talk about good timing to win SPT Brum then eh ;)

• edited September 2013
    congrats on the good news mate
  • edited September 2013

Brilliant news, delighted for you and Mrs J

Congratulations!

• edited September 2013
    Congratulations Paul and also to the Mrs
  • edited September 2013
    Great news pal!!

Huge congrats to you both!!
  • edited September 2013
    Thanks for your messages everyone
  • edited September 2013
    You can add my congratulations to the list.

I need some motivation like that, although not even 5-6k would persuade me to have another child!

Best of luck.
  • edited September 2013

About 7 years ago everything in our lives was turned upside down. Penny was diagnosed with MS.
    She had a good idea what it was before diagnosis but it was still devastating when it was confirmed. The NHS is very good but MS diagnosis is still very slow. We needed to know and paid for a private scan in Cheltenham.

For a good amount of time things didn't change much. Then, slowly but surely the illness began to show. She was tired a lot. Her balance wasn't as good as it had been. Her walking suffered as a result. MS is quite odd in how it works. Relapses are the fear. When you have a relapse, which can be weeks or years apart, you lose a little of what you had and it's irretrievable. There is medication to help prevent relapses and it was painful for me as they all have side effects. Penny has relapsing remitting MS which is good. There is Secondary Progressive and then Primary Progressive and we really don't want to go there.

After a while fatigue was becoming a huge factor and Penny needed to drop to part time. She also had one day a week where she worked as a trainer for staff at hospitals up and down the Country. This was private work and she earned around £350 a day for this. This had to go as well.

I was a manager where I worked and was moving slowly but surely upwards and hoped to be making a very good salary before too long. The long hours, and I mean long, didn't really bother me and things were looking good. Things had obviously changed though and I needed to be at home more and not exhausted when I was there. I decided the only thing to do was to quit what I was doing and the business allowed me to drop down and work alongside my staff, As you can imagine this was quite difficult, but the right decision.

We were now financially a lot poorer than we had been but that didn't matter.

Sounds like a story of woe!
    Actually we've never been happier. Thankfully Penny's condition has been very stable over the last couple of years and now we've had this fantastic news.

Pokerwise things became a little different for me. I'd always enjoyed the game and been a small winner at it. How much, I didn't know. I kept no records and while we always remember the £50 buy in comp we won for £1800 we easily forget the 20 previously where we didn't cash. My sharkscope for other sites was decent but I knew online my cash game wasn't great so I didn't really know how I was doing overall.

When I started on Sky nearly 2 years ago I decided I would start to keep proper records. Live and Online. The money was now more important, as  I had less disposable income. I set myself a target of £10000 in 2 years. Last week I got to the £15000 mark which I'm really proud of. I'm very average but do what I know i'm good at. Online is a chore for me but i'm good at DYM's, cash less so and I rarely play that these days. Live, i'm pretty good. This is my original poker background and it's amazing how many easy games there at 50/1 live. I do pretty well from a small Sky sample at tourneys but it's hard to commit to an entire evening. The SPT was obviously a huge help for me to help me achieve my target and on that day I was far  from the best player but ran incredibly well.

Live poker is my true poker love and whilst I do want to win, having a good time is the most important criteria for me when i play it. The SPT's have been just fantastic and I've met some great people at them. I probably won't be able to play as many next year for obvious reasons but i really hope to be able to at least get to some.

I do despair when people get so upset over a game of cards. I can sometimes understand the original reaction but have learned there is far more to life and get baffled by some of the feuds that can develop.

Bit embarrassed and unsure whether to press 'add post' but.... add post

• edited September 2013

Sweet post Paul.

Your post really tipifies what's good about the forum and also poker.

In fact, it's one of the best contributions i've seen on the forum ever.

100% you did the right thing, being there for Penny was way more important than earning the big bucks working 12 plus hours a day.

Absolutely delighted with your news today.

Also brilliant achievment hitting 15k, you thoroughly deserve it.