You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man:
    Hi AJ  You saw my rant a few pages back then? The frustrating thing as a Derby fan is that we do actually have the basis of a decent team. Our trouble is that the moment a bid comes in for one of our best players, we sell immediately. We then replace with "promising youngster" and start again. We signed shackell a couple of years ago and he was fantastic. Paired with Barker we would have had the best centre back pairing in the division.  Barker gets injured and then we sell Shackell after just the one season for little more than we paid for him. Replace him with Keogh who isn't a patch on either and cost more. This year, we've sold the  best right back n the division a week before the start if the season! Best I stop now! I'm still daft enough to get a ticket though.  I know Blackburn have had a pretty awful time of it too. Think this season you could be strong though. We were awful when we played you last season but I would say ou were actually the best team I saw at pride park. Standard of the championship is so mediocre presently that I think any team that starts well and has a match winner (Rhodes) has a great chance.
    Posted by Jac35

Alright Jac

Just a quick ty for my nom in TOTP

As a Preston fan i can relate to what your saying. We had a great team a few years ago reaching the play off final against West Ham for the Prem and look at us now. 

It seems the more success a team gets from the lower leaugues the eyes of the Prem club scouts are focused on our best players and when we got bt 1-0 it was pretty obvious that we were going to lose some key players and we did and have never been able to replace them. We,ve had a few good players since but when we dropped down from the Championship the best players were sold again as we couldn,t afford their wages. Some ppl tipped us last year to go back up but we were starting with the youth team pretty much. Again it all boils down to money.

Been to Derby a cpl of times to watch Preston and you have a great ground and a bigger fanbase than we,ll probably ever get so keep the faith.

Ps - Did we meet at Bham SPT?. I seem to remember somebody buying me a drink who was sat down with Flashjonny in the same TPT tops and i never got a chance to get them one back. I know it was a while back and i,m useless at remembering names but can you remember if that was you? I was wearing my white T51 top if that helps

• edited July 2013
    Hi Mp

Re beer. Haven't a clue, I was a little intoxicated on that Friday night! FlashJonny is to blame though.

Got to be a close run thing who dislikes Billy Davies the most between us I guess?
    Prob us , as at least we gave you £3 million for possibly the worst centre back the Premier League has ever seen.
    You always seem to hammer us at Deepdale. You're right though, Preston played some really nice football a few years back.
  • edited July 2013
    OFC anyone?

Haven't a clue about it really but it seems to be becoming hugely popular.

Think there may be just a few too many things I'm addicted to at the moment so have steered clear so far.
    Poker,golf,football,beer,reading,Beethoven and Mozart, word trick,lattes, candy crush to name just a few.

But.... 

Should I take a look?
  • edited July 2013
    Hi Jac, just reading through your posts...how can you desert dyms!!! hehe. As you probaby know Im a big fan of dym. They call it grinding but I dont see it that way at all as I enjoy each game! and if I make a profit doing it then great! I think tourneys are a nice change from time to time but I find you need a lot of luck on them (aswell as playing well).

Anyhow I see you are a Derby fan, good friend of mine started the one and only Derby County Supporters club in Ireland! Infact the only english league match Ive ever been at was Derby County away to Tranmere Rovers long time ago! It finished 4-3 to Tranmere and it was Dave Kitsons first game (he scored in the first minute!) It was an amazing game though. Hope Hendrick develops into a good player for you!

Good luck at the tables
    Ger
  • edited July 2013
    Hi Ger

Hendricks a very good player. Was overshadowed last season by Hughes. I think that was probably a good thing though. Took the pressure of him and let's him just develop naturally.
    There may be a few more DCFC fan clubs starting in Ireland seeing as half our team are Irish now,
    Was staggered when Sammon was picked for Ireland. When we do the best/worst Detby players we've ever seen, he's normally there leading the line in the latter team.
  • edited July 2013
    Ps - Did we meet at Bham SPT?. I seem to remember somebody buying me a drink who was sat down with Flashjonny in the same TPT tops and i never got a chance to get them one back. I know it was a while back and i,m useless at remembering names but can you remember if that was you? I was wearing my white T51 top if that helps
    Posted by MP33
    no that wouldn't have been Jac as he doesn't wear his team colours.
    i do, however, if i'm not in my suit, and was with FJ some of the time,  and bought various drinks. However as it was my first SPT it was all a bit of a blur and I am useless with names and faces. if it was, then yw, if not then it should have been.
  • edited July 2013
    Hi AJ  You saw my rant a few pages back then? The frustrating thing as a Derby fan is that we do actually have the basis of a decent team. Our trouble is that the moment a bid comes in for one of our best players, we sell immediately. We then replace with "promising youngster" and start again. We signed shackell a couple of years ago and he was fantastic. Paired with Barker we would have had the best centre back pairing in the division.  Barker gets injured and then we sell Shackell after just the one season for little more than we paid for him. Replace him with Keogh who isn't a patch on either and cost more. This year, we've sold the  best right back n the division a week before the start if the season! Best I stop now! I'm still daft enough to get a ticket though.  I know Blackburn have had a pretty awful time of it too. Think this season you could be strong though. We were awful when we played you last season but I would say ou were actually the best team I saw at pride park. Standard of the championship is so mediocre presently that I think any team that starts well and has a match winner (Rhodes) has a great chance.
    Posted by Jac35

Sign of the times unfortunately. As soon as bigger clubs come calling players are off. I used to get really annoyed at players jumping ship as soon as they have a good season but unfortunately if you want to get to the top as a footballer you aint gonna be able to do it at clubs like Rovers or Derby, so we gotta get used to it. Although, it does sound bizarre the amount you are selling them for after they have had a good season. Normally get a lot more than you paid unless you have hugely overpaid for them in the first place.

The games been ruined by money. It’s such a sad state of affairs that it will be almost impossible for any teams out of the top 4 or 5 to win the premiership in the next 50 years without ridic money being thrown at them.  We will never see our teams do it in our lifetime. Unfortunately i wasn’t the biggest football fan when we did it 1995. I was a Rovers fan but didn’t take much notice. Took part in all the celebrations though :), but gutted i missed the only time we will ever be able to do it.

Thats why i am quite looking forward to the championship. It’s more competitive and something to play for. Anyone (well a lot of teams) can have a shout of getting to Playoffs and a possible trip to Wembley. Look at what teams like Norwich etc are playing for this year.

So you going Sunday then? Should be a good game. I would say good luck but i wouldn’t mean it. Rhodes hat-trick please!

• edited July 2013
    Yeh havent seen much of Sammon to be honest but from what I've seen he isnt good enough for international level (hope Im proved wrong). The guy tries no doubting that but for Ireland surely Kevin Doyle is the better player.

Ger
  • edited August 2013
    When I first posted on here I was a bit nervous about it. 
    I needn't have been. Early on Tikay really helped my thread with loads of great input and I felt welcomed by all.
    There were diaries from people like Devonfish which I liked. Everyone encouraged him and he responded to every post with a cheerful comment. 
    Lambert posted in the clinic and whilst I didn't always agree with his thoughts, I knew that he was always 100% trying to help people .
    There was fun, but no malice.
    This was the general theme of things. People were nice, everyone tried to help each other. There weren't comments such as "countdown to busto" or "I'm  better than this guy, I'll take bets on it" 

Unfortunately that seems to be more the norm now,more than what I described before. 
    The majority of people who post on here are  still what I first saw, unfortunately there are a number who seemingly just want to pick fights and do a lot of d*ick waving.
    The forum a year ago was a really nice thing to be part of.

I miss that forum.
  • edited August 2013
    the one thing that hasn't changed is if you get your money in good - i mean your forum post - then you will find you have been logged out and lost the lot.
  • edited August 2013
    so i'll start again but in shorter form

forum hasn't changed much

lots of great threads like yours

some dopey ones 

and some sh*te ones

but imho it's still a great community

• edited August 2013
    When I first posted on here I was a bit nervous about it.  I needn't have been. Early on Tikay really helped my thread with loads of great input and I felt welcomed by all. There were diaries from people like Devonfish which I liked. Everyone encouraged him and he responded to every post with a cheerful comment.  Lambert posted in the clinic and whilst I didn't always agree with his thoughts, I knew that he was always 100% trying to help people . This was the general theme of things. People were nice, everyone tried to help each other. There weren't comments such as "countdown to busto" or "I'm  better than this guy, I'll take bets on it"  Unfortunately that seems to be more the norm now,more than what I described before.  The majority of people who post on here are  still what I first saw, unfortunately there are a number who seemingly just want to pick fights and do a lot of d*ick waving. The forum a year ago was a really nice thing to be part of. I miss that forum.
    Posted by Jac35
    Hey Jac,

It was about a year ago i first came across the forum and started posting.

I had heard about it probably mentioned on the show and wasn't sure what to expect, but definatly wanted to have a lookin. I seen Lamberts thread, and read a bit and seen there were a few hands, so i ended up posting a hand asking for feedback on it lol I think that was my second post, had no idea where anything was or about the various sections. I might have to go back and see what the hand was, don't think i ever got any feedback haha, people were probably wondering who's this hijacking a thread.

I don't remember how, but i soon felt at home amongst the community, and in my year on here i would say i've been made very welcome and really enoyed it.

I don't know what it was like to prior 1 year ago. I would say recently there has been a few threads that have went a bit ott, there has been some negativity and even insulting posts. In my opinion this is a minority.

I really do think it is a fantastic community for vast majority of people that come here. Of course on a public forum there will be spats/ negativity but feel this is a small percentage overall.

Someone like CCF for example, at first i was wondering what the guy was all about. He posted a hand saying how bad is the play at 4nl, and i posted a hand where i had bluffed him a belter. He never had a go at me and took it in good spirit. There is some people he riles, but it's just his sense of humour. And someone like him, who goes against the grain, imo is a decent addition. He does have a different sense of humour and can beblnt but that's just who he is.

While some stuff recently has been poor, i would say overall it is a very positive community. Which i wouldn't have believed 1 year ago if you had told me that about an internet forum, where there is relative annonimity.
  • edited August 2013
    On a lighter note!

Football
    I may be off forum for a while after Sunday. 
    I'm expecting Derby to get battered by Blackburn and I just know that AjRockets will pop in to say hello.

Cricket 
    Australia should build on today and get a good first innings score.
    We haven't batted well so far this series, haven't really needed to. Be a test for us. Cook, Peterson and Prior have all struggled so far. My whitewash prediction may come unstuck at Old Trafford.

Golf
    Rory changes sponsor and so clubs as well.
    He doesn't get on with them and has fallen back dramatically from last year.
    I just don't get it. He already has more money than he could spend even if he wanted too. Why? In that case would you change to clubs that you're not comfortable with? Beyond me.

Poker
    Not played

Beer
    A rather pleasant 5 tonight, beer gardens ftw.

• edited August 2013
    GELDY, Henrik

You're both right
    Vast majority is still good.

Combination of warm weather, beer and the fact that I've got to get up in 4 hours has probably made me a bit grumpy.
  • edited August 2013

Huge signing for us today, Derby, Blackburn and the rest of the Championship must be quaking in their proverbial boots. 

48 hours before the season kicks off, we have 13 fit first team players, all of which are outfielders, no senior goalkeeper on the books. 

You'd think mr Dic k ov would be working round the clock to try and get some experienced bodies in. 

Sky sports news report some breaking news from Doncaster.

'finally' something has happened. I wonder who it is.

"Doncaster Rovers have announced the signing of 1 direction member Louis Tomlinson' 

Awesome. 

""I've been a massive Doncaster fan for a long time and growing up in Doncaster I've been to plenty of games at the Keepmoat," he said today. "To be part of the club is incredible."

Ground going to be packed out with 14yr old girls and Mums. 

Expect a hostile atmosphere at the keepmoat! 

Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

(Thankfully we did sign a goalie also, so we're up to 14 players. 4 more to go then we can fill the bench on Saturday :D
  • edited August 2013
    Dohhhh
    I think many clubs in the championship have the same stories of woe.
    The gap between us and the Premier league is at an all time high. 
    From afar, things do actually seem brighter at Doncaster than many clubs? I know that kind of comment can be annoying for fans of the club. 
    I get it a lot with people saying how great it is that Nigel has balanced the books etc.

Went to a game at the keepmoat a while ago (we won :))
    Thought it was a really nice ground but for a club wo seemingly have aspirations I was surprised at the attendance and lack of atmosphere. Think there were about 10,000 in the ground and we mus have taken 3,000 there.

Do you think the new deal they're talking about will actually happen? 
    If it does surely you would have a great chance?

By the way, wish I'd taken you up on the 10% and where do I vote for you?

• edited August 2013
    GELDY

I want you to start a diary.
    Would love to hear more about China, what you do, your suits etc..
    You look like a very interesting gentleman.
    Think it would make for some great reading.

• edited August 2013
    i have done my threads in the past

china - done

£1000 double or quits in a month - done

just waiting on my next hair brained scheme
  • edited August 2013
    Well, I have started to play a few tourneys as planned.

They were all I played for a number of years on Full Tilt until Black Friday.
    Getting used to the variance again. Sure, it's an incredibly small sample but feeling pretty good about it right now. Only playing the small ones £5.50's and £11's but doing ok.
    Just played a couple tonight and came 2nd in a £5.75 BH for just over £90 total. Bit frustrating as had 2/3rd's of the chips in play with 4 left but lost a couple of flips.

First game of the season yesterday and looks like until we get a new manager we're going nowhere.
    We have a good midfield and attack but can't defend.
    Clearly then it makes sense to decide to try and defend for 45 mins after going 1-0 up!
    Surprisingly it didn't work out.

Good to see PatWalshh back on the forum.
    At least now I won't be the only one you can put TL:DR on my posts.
  • edited August 2013
    Been a while so thought I'd do a quick update.

I have been gettin into tournaments a little more and had a few cashes. Played a sat for the main last night and missed the seat by one which was frustrating. Had aces cracked by KQ which would have locked the seat and JJ couldn't hold up against Ace 8 - river straight. Got money back for my trouble, so not all bad. In the other tourney, just a little speed rebuy, I came second for £71 which was decent.

Been mixing the tourneys in with the Dyms and played less cash. 
    Feels like it has been a bad month but when I look at it I'm £420 up, including rakeback, which is surprising but good all the same.

Not getting out to play my first love, live cash at the moment due to circumstances changing considerably at home.
    I might make a last ditch effort for Newcastle now though as a planned golf trip has fallen through and I now have a pass out to play if I qualify. Only played the points freeroll for it at the moment and was a bit unlucky. Just the one seat up for grabs and came 4th out of the 48 runners.

Golf - better, shot 78 today
    Football - sigh
    Work - mundane
    Alton Towers - excellent, loving the free fast track tickets.

• edited August 2013
    First live outing for a good while on Sunday. As usual, it ended up with me drinking far too much. I accept that it's just possible I won't play my best when I do this, but never mind, I'm having fun.

Played the £30 rebuy with no success. Fairly standard exit hand, so no complaints and then moved onto cash.
    Pleasingly, it was a limp/calltastic table and I started to run well. Sat with £200 and pretty quickly was up to around £320.

Had a couple of fun hands after that. 3bet the button to £14 against tight, way too serious player who had opened for £4. Flop 55Q, He check calls £19. Turn 6, he check calls £37, river 2, he check calls all in. I immediately table the 56 for a full house and he goes berserk as he flashes the AQ before throwing his cards at the dealer. He then spends a few minutes telling everyone how bad I am, mixing in a few expletives along the way. He also explained how he was trapping me and knew I was playing with rubbish. lols

Had a really interesting hand which I was really happy with how I played but provoked some discussion afterwards. Next orbit on button I find the JJ. 4 limpers to me and so I make it £10. BB who I know quite well and is very tight makes it £26, sitting with around £170. They all pass and I decide to call. Reasons for this were I was pretty sure he had a big pair. Confident that even with AK he just flats because he sees me as aggro and would hate getting it all in with less than the big pair pre. I'm never folding pre and given the reasons already stated i'm not keen on reraising and giving him the perfect shoving stack.

I decide to see the flop in position. Flop of AK3. I'm convinced that his shoulders slump a little and equally convinced it is not some kind of dramatic reverse tell he's trying to give off. He leads for £20 and I call. 5 on turn and he checks. I bet £46 and he folds QQ face up. Being drunk I flip my cards and he's not happy. Disappointed I showed, no need for it really.

After that serious guy and QQ guy spend a long time discussing how bad I am. I say nothing and just carry on drinking my drink. Trouble is every so often the other drunk on the table keeps saying "you're only bxtching because he keeps kicking your  fxxking arsxs" I can't help giggling everytime he says it and so it continues until serious guy gets up and goes to other table because "you can't beat bad players"

Had one more hand of note where I get it in pre from SB against new nicer guy on my right for around a £90 pot with AK. He had KK and I spike my Ace. He says "nice hand, it played itself". Just grateful I wasn't up against IDCU here as I seem to remember a similar pot he had against AJRockets, where his reaction was a little different.

As I tend to do I donked off around £130 before ending the night but still made £280 profit and I had fun, so never mind.

Felt absolutely evil on Monday. I'm way too old for this drinking lark. Although, no doubt, i'll do the same again before too long.

I am the worst golfer ever. Played Saturday and was horrific. Comp tomorrow and will be up to 10 for first time in 15 years if I miss buffer yet again.
    Think I need to buy some new sticks!
  • edited August 2013
    FFS

Don't rant normally but...

Decided to have one go only at SPT Newcastle
    Got through the semi

Just played the £24 which made 2 seats and £88 for 3rd
    Money bubble on big blind and guys limp! utg
    I flop flush and lead out, he shoves with set and gets there. That's £88 that would have been locked up and looking very good 1 of 3 for the seat.

Shove a couple that get through. They fold to my big blind twice when I have AA and QQ.

Back to covering the limp guy, I shove 55 in small against his 5bb stack. He tanks! and eventually calls with AK!
    He hits immediately.

2 hands later I shove Ace Rag. He snaps utg+1 with Ace8. Looks like being a split on QQJ10. he hits his flush on river.

GG Newcastle

In mini go out 14th ACE 10 V 33 aipf. Flop 10 turn 3, GG mini
  • edited August 2013
    You should rant more, you're pretty good at it :)
  • edited August 2013
    You should rant more, you're pretty good at it :)
    Posted by bbMike
    Balls!

P.s. ta for nomination

Edit: I don't normally rant about poker.
    Nigel Clough and I just can't help myself
  • edited August 2013
    very entertaining paul as always shame you wont be at newcastle but im still not having it gl johnny
  • edited August 2013
    and im still on cloud 9 after saturday you know what its like just a lovely feeling
  • edited August 2013
    and im still on cloud 9 after saturday you know what its like just a lovely feeling
    Posted by FLASHJONNY
    Fantastic result mate. So pleased for you.
    Treats!

One day sir you will come to accept the Baseball Ground was he best stadium this country has ever seen.
  • edited August 2013
    you sir are clearly deluded i think you are on some mysterious narcotic but i still enjoy your ramblings
  • edited August 2013
    Well, just had my first ever thread closure.
    Might well have been a topic that's been covered numerous times but I have been getting frustrated by all the thread closures. To close it is just ridiculous in my opinion

I guess this complaint means the end for this thread. I suppose I've had a good run and 300 posts isn't bad.

Before I get shut down a quick word about  my golf today.
    As I've mentioned, I've been really struggling recently.
    Today, I had the worst start to a round in my memory, 9 over through 6. Managed to only drop 2 more shots for the entire round to just sneak into the buffer and preserve my 9 handicap. Pretty chuffed with myself for grinding it out. I think Lambert would be proud of me!
  • edited August 2013

*THREAD CLOSED*