You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited April 2015
    Morning

Just been bumbling along with nothing much to report really.
    Day off today and I've got the boy. He's having a nap right now so thought I'd say hello.

I've played a little bit over the last week or so and its gone quite well actually. Ticking over just making £10 here and £20 there and it all adds up. I've taken a bit of pressure off myself and I think it's working. I'm enjoying it more now I'm playing less. For a while I was trying to put in lots of volume rather than concentrating on just playing well.

Looking forward to the next Forum Live event. Managed to somehow get a pass out for it. I think the chaps organising these games are doing a wonderful job. 

I've been in denial for a long time now about the health of forums. Sadly I now think  that the future isn't bright for them. Natural way of things I guess. People move in new directions. Now it's so easy to chat away on Facebook etc and groups formed there are a lot busier.

Holibobs booked. Majorca in June. Harry's first holiday abroad. Looking forward to that. Golf in Portugal also booked for October. Anyone played these courses? 
    Penina
    Palmares
    Vale do lobo (Royal and Ocean)
    Salgados

Dentists again last week. More root canal required. Just another £500 then. :(
    Going to play the Dtds tonight for a change. If hhyftdr can do well in them then surely I can 
  • edited April 2015
    Have a great holiday - Majorca/Menorca great for young families - very clean - geared up for children at restaurants and not too long a flight.

No footy talk? 

• edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man:
    Have a great holiday - Majorca/Menorca great for young families - very clean - geared up for children at restaurants and not too long a flight. No footy talk? 
    Posted by Phantom66

Best switch location then dude :)

Ha Phants :)

• edited April 2015
    Played at Penina and Vale de Lobo.
    Don't remember much as it was a stag week!
    Do remember a nice par 3 along the cliff top at Vale be Lobo. (Double bogey I think for me).
  • edited April 2015
    Played at Penina and Vale de Lobo. Don't remember much as it was a stag week! Do remember a nice par 3 along the cliff top at Vale be Lobo. (Double bogey I think for me).
    Posted by VespaPX
    Top bloke! Not like that Phantom geezer
    You'd have been excused for mentioning football Mick :)

That par 3 looks brilliant
  • edited April 2015
    ha
    so you are playing DTD tonight
    well guess I'll have to as well
    not wanting to be hoist by my own petard
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Top bloke! Not like that Phantom geezer You'd have been excused for mentioning football Mick :) That par 3 looks brilliant
    Posted by Jac35
    Get a buggy for Vale de Lobo as you have to walk down a road from front 9 to back 9.

Oh did I mention The mighty Cherries ?
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Get a buggy for Vale de Lobo as you have to walk down a road from front 9 to back 9. Oh did I mention The mighty Cherries ?
    Posted by VespaPX

They're going up Mick. It'll good to see them in the Premier League, they deserve it.
    Buggies are booked for all courses
  • edited April 2015
    Well seeing as you are talking football now - Good luck in the play-offs. I reckon you'll do it, have had time to get used to the idea unlike whichever 2 from 4 lose out on automatic. Bent seems on fire and that coldplay chap may be back soon. 

I personally have nothing but bad memories of play-offs, PNE have the nut worst record 9 entered 9 lost. Ok there were some good semi final games (beating Birmingham on penalties after Trevor Francis took his players off the pitch in protest at having to take them at the Preston fans end, overcoming a 2-0 deficit to beat Torquay and of course beating Derby 2-0 with their ex-player of the year Youl Mawene having a stand-oud game) but every trip to Wembley/Cardiff has resulted in defeat and the very long very silent trip back home.

Big game for us tonight - need to win to keep the gap to 3rd and if Fleetwood can do us a favour v the franchisees that would be great too.

Edit....oops and oops wp though on thrashing the lashers

• edited April 2015
    Well seeing as you are talking football now - Good luck in the play-offs. I reckon you'll do it, have had time to get used to the idea unlike whichever 2 from 4 lose out on automatic. Bent seems on fire and that coldplay chap may be back soon.  I personally have nothing but bad memories of play-offs, PNE have the nut worst record 9 entered 9 lost. Ok there were some good semi final games (beating Birmingham on penalties after Trevor Francis took his players off the pitch in protest at having to take them at the Preston fans end, overcoming a 2-0 deficit to beat Torquay and of course beating Derby 2-0 with their ex-player of the year Youl Mawene having a stand-oud game) but every trip to Wembley/Cardiff has resulted in defeat and the very long very silent trip back home. Big game for us tonight - need to win to keep the gap to 3rd and if Fleetwood can do us a favour v the franchisees that would be great to.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Lol, too good Phantom, wp sir.
  • edited April 2015
    if you come up you,ll only do a derby ;)
  • edited April 2015
    Morning Just been bumbling along with nothing much to report really. Day off today and I've got the boy. He's having a nap right now so thought I'd say hello. I've played a little bit over the last week or so and its gone quite well actually. Ticking over just making £10 here and £20 there and it all adds up. I've taken a bit of pressure off myself and I think it's working. I'm enjoying it more now I'm playing less. For a while I was trying to put in lots of volume rather than concentrating on just playing well. Looking forward to the next Forum Live event. Managed to somehow get a pass out for it. I think the chaps organising these games are doing a wonderful job. We hear how Sky haven't abandoned the idea of more Spts but to be honest I don't believe that. I doubt we'll see a schedule announced again. So in the absence of them it's great that we can still get a chance to meet up. I've been in denial for a long time now about the health of forums. Sadly I now think  that the future isn't bright for them. Natural way of things I guess. People move in new directions. Now it's so easy to chat away on Facebook etc and groups formed there are a lot busier. Holibobs booked. Majorca in June. Harry's first holiday abroad. Looking forward to that. Golf in Portugal also booked for October. Anyone played these courses?  Penina Palmares Vale do lobo (Royal and Ocean) Salgados Dentists again last week. More root canal required. Just another £500 then. :( Going to play the Dtds tonight for a change. If hhyftdr can do well in them then surely I can 
    Posted by Jac35
    Hi mate, I have played Palmares and Val De Lobo, they are pretty good, playing in the sunshine is always a bonus too.  I liked Palmares, it has some holes down by the ocean, and some inland in the olive groves.  It is not far from Lagos if I remember rightly.  Mick is right about the par 3 on Val De Lobo, you tee off to carry the ocean all the way down your left, very scenic.  I hope you enjoy it.
  • edited April 2015
    Well seeing as you are talking football now - Good luck in the play-offs. I reckon you'll do it, have had time to get used to the idea unlike whichever 2 from 4 lose out on automatic. Bent seems on fire and that coldplay chap may be back soon.  I personally have nothing but bad memories of play-offs, PNE have the nut worst record 9 entered 9 lost. Ok there were some good semi final games (beating Birmingham on penalties after Trevor Francis took his players off the pitch in protest at having to take them at the Preston fans end, overcoming a 2-0 deficit to beat Torquay and of course beating Derby 2-0 with their ex-player of the year Youl Mawene having a stand-oud game) but every trip to Wembley/Cardiff has resulted in defeat and the very long very silent trip back home. Big game for us tonight - need to win to keep the gap to 3rd and if Fleetwood can do us a favour v the franchisees that would be great too. Edit....oops and oops wp though on thrashing the lashers
    Posted by Phantom66
    I wish I has your optimism about us going up. 
    Ta for the reminder about that play off game 
    Good to see you back on the forum
  • edited April 2015
    if you come up you,ll only do a derby ;)
    Posted by stokefc
    Grrrr
  • edited April 2015
    Ta for replies Mick and Craig

That par 3 looks fantastic. No doubt I'll chunk it into the sea off there :)
  • edited April 2015
    Ta for replies Mick and Craig That par 3 looks fantastic. No doubt I'll chunk it into the sea off there :)
    Posted by Jac35

Its actually an Ocean, but I have absolute faith in your ability to compensate and shank it inland ;-)
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Its actually an Ocean, but I have absolute faith in your ability to compensate and shank it inland ;-)
    Posted by HENDRIK62

well owned, when do my lessons begin?
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Its actually an Ocean, but I have absolute faith in your ability to compensate and shank it inland ;-)
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Phew!
    Forgot that the 'ocean' would be to my left.
    I'll be fine then.
    Surprised that 'shank' got through the filters! That's a swear word at my course ;)
  • edited April 2015
    Ta for replies Mick and Craig That par 3 looks fantastic. No doubt I'll chunk it into the sea off there :)
    Posted by Jac35

Its actually an Ocean, but I have absolute faith in your ability to compensate and shank it inland ;-)
  • edited April 2015
    Saturday was good 
    Penny away seeing mates in Doncaster. So just me and the boy. No one to tell us off. 
    Derby scored 4
    Won some money at poker.
    Booked hotel for Milton Keynes.

Sunday not so good
    Started well. Got pass out for golf. Golf wasn't good. I used to be good. Now I'm not good. In competitive and so don't like not being good. Came home in a not good mood and did 10 minutes of unnecessary grumbling. Most unlike me.

Arranged pub and then I got owned by Penny. She'd already said about how nice it was to get 8 hours unbroken sleep on Saturday night. I'd bluffed many times before about sleeping downstairs. She'd always relented. Most unlike me I'd been known to grumble when getting an elbow in my back while fast asleep. I'll describe the action like Gus Hansen.

I opened light. I knew I was getting plenty of folds here. 
    "No probs, I'll sleep downstairs"
    Was surprised when she 3bet with 
    "Good"
    I hadn't opened without a plan though and so stuck it in her eye with a snap 4bet
    "Can you leave my clothes out for morning please so that I don't wake you?"
    She was considered with her actions. I got a good read and knew she was bluffing when she 5bet with
    " I'll go and do it now so that I don't forget"
    6bet time
    "Please can you leave my pillow and a blanket on the sofa?"
    She went into the tank and I went to the pub

Got home. Sigh! She'd had the goods all along and had 7bet shoved all in. Pillow and blanket on sofa and a note 
    "Sweet dreams darling" and a smiley face.

No Hollywooding from me. Snap fold and disconsolately I grabbed the pillow and trudged upstairs
  • edited April 2015

Ha!

Great story.
  • edited April 2015
    Funny post, Paul... but you really can't fold to a seven-bet shove.
  • edited April 2015

"....Came home in a not good mood and did 10 minutes of unnecessary grumbling
    ...."
    Now that's a great spot for a 4 bet.
  • edited April 2015
    Doh, wp Jac
    Guess  I should have mentioned the actual reason for the sleep downstairs thing although I think it's pretty obvious.
    Apparently I snore. I dispute this as I've never heard it
  • edited April 2015
    Hi jac

I just accidently clicked on your profile (a smartphone fat finger error) not cyber stalking or owt you understand.

Anyway i noticed your age is 19. Is that your "samantha age"?
  • edited April 2015
    In a bit of a turn up for the books, I was grumpy over the weekend.
    Developed toothache on Friday night and hardly slept. This was unrelated to the forthcoming £1k bill for more root canal. Had a headache all weekend and something else unpleasant as well. Decided I'm bored of being single figure golfer and so for the first time in 20 years I'll be putting 10 next to name in the next competition.
    Derby scored 3 again on Saturday.

Played a bit of poker last night. I've hardly played at all this month but it's gone really well when I have played. Around £420 up. So it was a bit odd last night when at one stage I had around £400 spread across some cash tables. Ran pretty badly early on but then ran really well later and made a whole £30 for my efforts. I had 2 biggish pots against Liamboi that went my way and helped the cause. I'm dreadful at cash and Liam is very good. It's just one of those strange quirks that I seem to run well v him. The way both hands played out the money just had to go in and I was lucky to be on the right side of it.
  • edited April 2015
    I went to see my Grandad yesterday with my Mum and Harry. It was his 92nd birthday. My Grandad is a proper gentleman and has told me some wonderful stories over the years. He's still in wonderful shape physically and still lives on his own. He was the eldest son and took that responsibility very seriously. He cared for his younger brother and sister when they were both hit by dementia. After they'd both passed away I think he was able to rest and now dementia has hit him. It's so sad. 
    I was always his favourite grandchild on account of being the only boy. He had no idea later on yesterday that I'd been to see him. Only after a bit of encouragement did he say "that bloke may have come around with that other bloke who's always with him" other bloke is Harry.

I could write stacks more but i fear I'm already boring you. Just a few other things, honest! :)

My Grandads father used to own a bus company. From around 10 years old my Grandad would move vehicles for him in the yard. He only stopped driving a couple of years ago. I wonder how many people can say that they've been driving for 80 years?

A story that always made me smile was that the gentlest person I've ever met, used to box during the war. He was stationed in India for the majority of the time and Victor Lauder used to enter the ring as "Tiger Lauder" 

I always wondered where I got my gambling from. My Grandad would never tell me this but my Mum did. 
    Similar to me, my Great Grandfather liked a drink and a game of cards. Similar to me, my Great Grandfather wasn't very good at cards. The story is that late one night in a backstreet Derby pub he was very drunk. Just like a scene in a bad Western he lost the Bus Company on the turn of a card.
    That is a bad beat!

I'll finish this in the same way as I finished an Easter Essay competition when I was at Primary School. I was selected to represent my year with 2 others and I didn't let them down. It was a masterpiece. 
    I wrote about Bob the Easter Egg who was pretty handy at football. He was so good that he played for Derby and later went on to get the winner for England in the World Cup FInal. The essay had to be 100 words. Disaster!
    I had only done 99. What could I do?
    Genius struck me

"Bye"
  • edited April 2015
    Quality posts Jac - nice to hear the poker gods have turned back in your favour... they must have if you've been taking money off of Liamboi at the cash tables... can you give me some tips on how you do that because I only ever donate when I'm at his table?

Grandparents are awesome. I can't picture many of my male peers (and certainly not myself lol) being a touch on the Proper Gentlemen my Grandpa and his peers are (or sadly, were). Different age, I guess a bit more character building than the environment we grow up in today.
  • edited May 2015
    Great post Paul, as usual.

Looking forward to the forfeits... because there is zero chance you can keep your gob shut - typical Outlaw really, huh? ;)
  • edited May 2015
    Great post Paul, as usual. Looking forward to the forfeits... because there is zero chance you can keep your gob shut - typical Outlaw really, huh? ;)
    Posted by Slipwater
    What are you on about? haha