You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man:
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : What are you on about? haha
    Posted by samantha25
    Yeah, I must've just randomly posted in response to something that doesn't exist and was not removed post haste.

I guess I could paraphrase it for everyone...
  • edited May 2015

Sneaky.

I can't see any way that Jac will be getting a Forest tattoo so there is bound to be silence unless the alternative forfeit option is agreed!

• edited June 2015
    Hello

Been a while. Found this tat on page 11

I decided a while ago that I wasn't really enjoying this forum anymore. There seems to be a lot of anger nowadays whereas previously its been really positive.
    I do quite like boring people though and so I decided to post on another forum. It's very good and everyone has been very friendly but in all honesty I don't think my kind of writing works over there. Most of the diaries on there are written by guys who are properly crushing the game. Reading about how I won a couple of dyms doesn't really grab their attention :)

I've looked in on here a few times and to be honest, I think things have got worse if anything. A real shame.

I'm not really planning on resurrecting this but might do the occasional post. There is a chance that I might do a "Confused Old man does Vegas" thread.

I'll expand on that although a few of you already know about it. Being a bit dumb I entered a £17 sat for VLV with the intention of taking the cash only to realise that it wasn't possible to do that for these sats. I got through that and also the £77 sat and somehow bumbled my way into the final. At no stage did i I ever have a stack but somehow got to the final table. 5 seats and £320 for 6th. In truth I froze a bit and played really badly. I ended up bubbling the seat which was pretty gutting. A few days later I got a phone call from Sky. One of the players had dropped out and as the package bubble guy I was next in line and the package was offered to me. A bit shell shocked  I asked for a day or so to make sure that I could go and once things were sorted with work etc, I happily accepted.

Penny was brilliant about it all. Although she knows that it will be tough for her on her own with Harry she said that I  just couldn't turn it down. The Grandparents are great and they'll give her loads of support.

And so. on June 28th I fly out from Manchester and will be playing the Little One for One drop on the Tuesday. Rather exciting.

It's great that I already know a few of the people who've qualified. People like Liamboi and Donttelmum. There's a few others who I chat too on here as well who are going and so it should be fantastic.

Other stuff quickly
    Penny and Harry doing really well. Was in boots the other day and Penny was printing off a load of pictures. Took ages and Harry was bored. I let him run around the shop a bit. I didn't really see this coming. Fat bloke is on his haunches looking at something. Harry goes full pelt towards him and shoves his backside and sends him flying. Luckily fat bloke thought it was funny.
    Derby :(
    Sad to see McLaren go. Hope the new guy does well.
    Teeth finally fixed. Just finished having root canal on 3 teeth.
    Poker in general. Tonight was crapp. Had a great live game on Sunday. Only 50/1 but could buy in for 500bbs. By 4am average stack was probably about £700. It was the softest game I've ever played in and I walked away with £1140 and a £700+ profit on the night. Bust tourney by calling a shove from a 120 year old guy who had played one hand all night. WP me
    Off to Majorca on Sunday
    Golf abysmal
  • edited June 2015
    I dont post very often mate but I do like to read your diary and hope you do keep it going on here.

Vegas will be awesome cant wait should be a good laugh :)
  • edited June 2015
    Welcome back Paul
    Always enjoy your ramblings :-)
    GL in Vegas
  • edited June 2015
    Great that so many regs are on the Vegas trip and look forward to reading forum/diary updates of the madness that ensues as a result!

It pains but I think Derby have pulled a masterstroke... could be a very long season for Forest fans!
  • edited June 2015
    Dadness does vegas....

Hope you can change the thread title to "old man wins in Vegas"
    Yet seen yr play, so best hope for a soft field ;)
  • edited June 2015
    Don't worry Paul. Myself and liamboi fully intend to look after you in Vegas.  ��
  • edited June 2015
    So pleased to see you back Paul.

WP on the Vegas result. I think Mrs P would need alot more than 75p in her holiday fund to be so understanding about a Vegas trip for me so WP Penny too!

Enjoy the family holiday and the Vegas trip - and as I have said to others, don't let the poker get in the way of the poker.

• edited June 2015
    anyone who can win an SPT can win in Vegas
    so looking forward to your sweat thread

and after irishrose you'd be my top pick for bubble luck like that, nice. 

TID

• edited June 2015
    Welcome back

and well done on vegas really pleased for you

• edited June 2015
    Life is tough sometimes.
    Sitting by the pool at the moment drinking beer. 

Poker face standing up well so far.
    Of course this is my big holiday of the year, the one I've most looked forward too. What could be more enjoyable than a week away with my inlaws and Penny's brother , his wife and baby Barnaby?

Late check in, not my fault. Things looked to be starting badly. 8 suitcases, 2 pushchairs and Penny in a wheelchair. 5 minutes to get to the gate. All sorted bar one small case.

Things looked to be improving somewhat, although I thought the timing could have been better when Penny said
    "For Gods sake Paul, just put it between my legs right now"
  • edited June 2015
    thank goodness you're back
    this is just the type of insane frivolity that the forum needs right now
    and i must admit I'm not too surprised it wasn't necessarily the choice of the readers of another forum you frequented
    but on here bring it on
    and I'll even read your golf stories
  • edited June 2015
    This forum is going a bit bonkers
    It used to be such a friendly place but now....

I've just returned and started to look at it again.

A new poster puts up a hand and is immediately told very abruptly by a long time forum regular that it's in the wrong section

The rewards thing?
    Players who play very little poker a month are now grumbling that they will play even less because they won't receive a couple of quid at the end of the month. 

The software is terrible? Maybe I'm just lucky but rarely do I have any problems with disconnects and I average a few thousand points a month. I find the software perfectly fine. I think the lobby is far better than many other sites.

The freerolls are terrible? This bit just staggers me. I saw a post from a player who said that the threshold was too high and he was now going to have to grind £2.50 worth of rake to get into them. I'm sorry but you're hardly a "grinder" if £2.50 is seemingly excessive.

I saw the "Last Vegas" thread. So Sky unexpectedly put on a freeroll for a £3200 package and people are still bitchingg?Amazing! (Just one exclamation mark in this post Tikay)

Sky have put on a number of freerolls for Vegas and received grief for it. With the satellites, everyone had a chance to qualify for a small outlay. I got there for £17. Staggers me that people have grumbled  about this.

I think we've all been touched by Dales illness and I know everyone is desperate for him to get well. I was so disappointed to read the rows on a thread regarding the teams. Surely not important in the scheme of things guys.

A "forum good guy" abuses a friend of mine at the table and then sends disgusting pms

Can't we all just do nice?
    I get the irony of this post.

• edited June 2015
    Received an email regarding all the Vegas information from Sam yesterday.
    Fly Sunday morning 
    Getting excited now :)
  • edited June 2015
    Good luck in Las Vegas, i hope you have a blast and run well. I like your "ramblings" so any from Vegas would be great whether people watching,food or poker related.
  • edited June 2015
    I got there for £17.
    Posted by Jac35
    I can't believe you had to write such a long post just to try and hide bragz :)

WP Sir.  VWP.
  • edited June 2015
    Spot on with everyone you said there JAC.
    See you in VEGAS!!
  • edited June 2015
    Ta Any2 and Tim
    And 
    Shaky ;)
  • edited June 2015
    Just ++++ to everything you wrote Mr J.

Have a great time in Vegas.

• edited June 2015
    This forum is going a bit bonkers It used to be such a friendly place but now.... I've just returned and started to look at it again. A new poster puts up a hand and is immediately told very abruptly by a long time forum regular that it's in the wrong section The rewards thing? Players who play very little poker a month are now grumbling that they will play even less because they won't receive a couple of quid at the end of the month.  The software is terrible? Maybe I'm just lucky but rarely do I have any problems with disconnects and I average a few thousand points a month. I find the software perfectly fine. I think the lobby is far better than many other sites. The freerolls are terrible? This bit just staggers me. I saw a post from a player who said that the threshold was too high and he was now going to have to grind £2.50 worth of rake to get into them. I'm sorry but you're hardly a "grinder" if £2.50 is seemingly excessive. I saw the "Last Vegas" thread. So Sky unexpectedly put on a freeroll for a £3200 package and people are still bitchingg?Amazing! (Just one exclamation mark in this post Tikay) Sky have put on a number of freerolls for Vegas and received grief for it. With the satellites, everyone had a chance to qualify for a small outlay. I got there for £17. Staggers me that people have grumbled  about this. I think we've all been touched by Dales illness and I know everyone is desperate for him to get well. I was so disappointed to read the rows on a thread regarding the teams. Surely not important in the scheme of things guys. A "forum good guy" abuses a friend of mine at the table and then sends disgusting pms Can't we all just do nice? ... I get the irony of this post.
    Posted by Jac35

Do you need a hug? :)

• edited June 2015
    This forum is going a bit bonkers It used to be such a friendly place but now.... I've just returned and started to look at it again. A new poster puts up a hand and is immediately told very abruptly by a long time forum regular that it's in the wrong section The rewards thing? Players who play very little poker a month are now grumbling that they will play even less because they won't receive a couple of quid at the end of the month.  The software is terrible? Maybe I'm just lucky but rarely do I have any problems with disconnects and I average a few thousand points a month. I find the software perfectly fine. I think the lobby is far better than many other sites. The freerolls are terrible? This bit just staggers me. I saw a post from a player who said that the threshold was too high and he was now going to have to grind £2.50 worth of rake to get into them. I'm sorry but you're hardly a "grinder" if £2.50 is seemingly excessive. I saw the "Last Vegas" thread. So Sky unexpectedly put on a freeroll for a £3200 package and people are still bitchingg?Amazing! (Just one exclamation mark in this post Tikay) Sky have put on a number of freerolls for Vegas and received grief for it. With the satellites, everyone had a chance to qualify for a small outlay. I got there for £17. Staggers me that people have grumbled  about this. I think we've all been touched by Dales illness and I know everyone is desperate for him to get well. I was so disappointed to read the rows on a thread regarding the teams. Surely not important in the scheme of things guys. A "forum good guy" abuses a friend of mine at the table and then sends disgusting pms Can't we all just do nice? ... I get the irony of this post.
    Posted by Jac35
    Very well said sir!

Where in Majorca did you go? Its the Bates family destination of choice as we have friends over there.

First round on me in Vegas!
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Do you need a hug? :)
    Posted by mrsduck

Group hug for dad!! 

Best of luck in Costa Vegas Jac :) Bring me some rock back please! 

• edited June 2015
    Hi Jac

Do outlaw members get a % of all winnings in vegas hehe.

Good luck mate and if you can keep us up to date how you are getting on when your over there would be good.
  • edited June 2015
    I know what you mean about the forum, although I think things are picking up from a low point a few months back.

People dont react well to change - I try and add a bit of balance when I can when I see unjustified whingeing - I have decided to embrace the new rewards myself and see what happens.

Some other issues - well, it's probably a case of less said soonest mended.

However its not all bad.... e.g.

You are back
    FCHD Vegas thread
    Rainman is on better shifts 
    Neil Channing is very visible on the forum (and some low stakes tables)
    Tikay's Vegas blogs (even the train ones)
    Benchmarks wit
    The dym challenge
    Lots of people winning Vegas packages

and plenty more interesting diaries that I always read (and probably should interact more with) Shaki, Timmyrara, Lambert, Nuggy and not to forget the legendary BarryGuns. Missed a few out there too I reckon, Slip deliberately ;-).

Given poker volume is down with the extended daylight hours and forums in general are not doing so well, I think there is still plenty of interest on this forum. Enough to keep checking in and posting.

• edited June 2015
    Duck and Sam hugs always welcome :)
    Palmanova Matt. Was very nice
    You might be right Phantom. Was maybe bring a bit dramatic which is must unlike me. You're absolutely right in that Neil has been, as expected, brilliant for the site. Like Benchmark as well and love the way Timmy is so positive with his writing. I could really learn a thing or too from him. Win or lose he's exactly the same.
    Which leads me onto me playing a bit if poker tonight. This is pretty sad but I think it could well have been my longest break in years. Just under 2 weeks.
    Did the lose games and sulk thing early on. Went around £130 down. All my usual self doubt was there. Then, stopped being a plank and won a few dyms. Slight loser on the night at them in the end.
    Played a couple of mtts, the main and a £11 b/h. Cashed in main and lost heads up in b/h.
    Ended around £90 up.

Had a discussion with a friend last night about how gormless I am playing cash on Sky when I'm terrible at it compared with the regs. So, obviously jumped into a bit of 100nl tonight. Wp me.
    Luckily, I had a few cards go my way and made a little profit there.
    Won €20 on holiday by juggling a football 50 times without it bouncing. Had 3 goes to do it. Was pretty confident I'd  manage it, I used to spend all day going that as a kid. Not done it for years though so was happy to do it in the 2nd go.
  • edited June 2015
    Hi Jac

I have been a long time silent reader, I should have posted long ago so apologies for that. I just wanted to say thanks for all the splendid stories and rambles as you say, without folk like your good self on here the forum would suffer. I just wish I could be as eloquent in my ramblings.

You hit the nail on the head with your take on folks griping and generally being bit chy to each other, I wish folk would just take a minute to think of the consequences of what they say in the chat box and sometimes the forum, lets all be adults and be sensible.

Good luck in vegas, Im sure you will enjoy every minute there.
  • edited June 2015
    Hi Jac I have been a long time silent reader, I should have posted long ago so apologies for that. I just wanted to say thanks for all the splendid stories and rambles as you say, without folk like your good self on here the forum would suffer. I just wish I could be as eloquent in my ramblings. You hit the nail on the head with your take on folks griping and generally being bit chy to each other, I wish folk would just take a minute to think of the consequences of what they say in the chat box and sometimes the forum, lets all be adults and be sensible. Good luck in vegas, Im sure you will enjoy every minute there.
    Posted by tomgoodun
    Thanks very much Tom
    It's wonderful to have you in the thread. Good to have a classy poster rather than some of the riff raff (hhyftdr springs to mind) that are normally on here being rude to me.

As I mentioned before I am considering doing a bit of Vegas thread. I know you have posted it before but you have a fantastic Vegas story yourself. Some of the new posters won't have read it.
    I'd be honoured if you'd post it on here for a bit of Vegas inspiration 
  • edited June 2015
    Thank you for your kind words jac, I can hear the oh no not again groans, and general don't encourage him :)
    I started playing online poker about 7 yrs ago after catching it on tv, I was brought up playing 3card brag and the like and thought that looks like a good game.
    I joined a poker site which wasn't for real money and really enjoyed it, did rather well but obviously that isn't a true indication of how I would do for real money, anyway that site closed down and I joined a "real money" site.
    I only play small stakes, £2 -£5 and I enjoy the deep stack tournaments, I played there for about 6months and built up poker points, I regged in a free roll using my points ( was a Vegas feeder type of thing) I won that which put me in a tournament with 4 seats for Vegas up for grabs, there was 1412 players, I started playing at 7pm, was doing well and at 1am was on the final table, I didn't have any fear at all strangely enough as I was not expecting anything to come of it, eventually we were down to 5players, I was 2nd in chips holding k k on the button, the chipleader raised I called along with the 2 short stacks , flop was Aqx, chip leader bet out, I tank fold and other 2 allin chipleader snap calls, he had aa to shorties aq, I had made it, eventually fin 2nd.
    More to follow
  • edited June 2015
    I was pretty stunned and woke my wife up to tell her the news, it was a $15k package to Vegas main event.
    Ss we have children it was agreed I would go alone, booked the flights with the money they put in my account (around $2k if I remember correct)
    I stayed at the Hotel Wynn, it is out of this world, especially to someone used to staying in B and B in Blackpool :) 
    I was met by a rep from the poker site who told me about the itinery which included a visit to the Grand Canyon, playing golf on the best course I have ever seen, jet-ski ing on Lake Mead with a party on a yacht, amongst other things.
    I played in day 1d, the guy who had won the tourney I came 2nd in was on the feature table that day, I was amazed at all the people who came to watch, all behind the ropes they put up around the tables, I saw a few well known faces, Chris Ferguson,Doyle Brunson,Phil Ivey, etc etc.i heard Ivey ivey ivey quite a few times ;)
    I am amazed I wasn't fazed by any of this and I just played as I would a £2 deep stack, I saw some really bad beats and some awful play, someone raised pre, bb called flop 446 bet call, turn A, bet call, river A bb check, allin from orig raiser snapped off by bb,  raiser had 66 bb A4: why would they stack off with that when any call beats them, I don't know.
    I had a bit of good fortune when I raised with Q6 hearts, the bb had previously called my nut flush and was a little steaming at me getting there on the river, flop q x x - 2hearts, sb bet, bb raised,I flat sb folds, turn A hearts, bb allin I call, he had AQ  river K hearts, I felt bad about putting him out when I was there for free and he had prob payed $10k to enter.
    My chips dwindled a bit from the 70 odd k, I remember 1 hand raising withAj,flop AA5 bet out and get raised, we got to showdown, he had 55, I didn't hit my J so lost about 25k there.
    I made day 2, my exit was pretty brutal, I was in bb, Pretty short (20k) u t g raise button flat, I shove with AK, u t g calls, button re shoves, u t g folds, he had QQ, flop AK4, turn 10,riverJ.i shook his hand and made my exit, walking down the corridor with me was Greg Raymer,I guess I had done ok walking out with a previous champ :) it was my first live tournament.
    Sorry for the ramble, I put stuff up as I remember it and it comes flooding back when I start writing .
    I wish you all the best in Vegas,please post your experiences.