You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited July 2015
    Many congratulations on the cash.
    It has been fun following your exploits on the thread.
    was it tense on the bubble?
  • edited July 2015
    Well done :D so so pleased!
  • edited July 2015
    wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

100% cash record from the WSOP

not bad Mr Paul TRPP Jackson
  • edited July 2015
    wp paul enjoy the rest of your stay
  • edited July 2015
    VWP - looking forward to the write up
  • edited July 2015
    Thanks everyone

Day 3

Started with a fun wander round about 100 shops looking for some perfume for Penny that she isn't able to get in England anymore. The last place told me it had been discontinued 

Then I got ready for the tournament. Was quite meticulous as I didn't want to forget anything. We got to the Rio nicely in time and then I saw someone had their passport.
    "Don't need that do we?"
    'Err, yes Paul, you do"

Sam was apologetic for not  mentioning it before we got in the coach. Not his fault at all. Hard to legislate for someone being that stupid. Got back to the Rio just in time for start and we were off.

I had a really nice table. Quite chatty and the players weren't very good in truth. The guy on my right was an instant hero for me. He announced when he sat down that he was a donkey but a lucky donkey. He played pretty much every hand and bemoaned his luck each time when his massive draw missed. His massive draws were mostly gutshots and he was calling sizeable bets on the turn to try and hit them. After every hand he was saying in his fabulous Texan drawl "just not getting no luck, I knew where I was at. Hope I run better in the main event. That's $10k to enter ya'll know?"

He was my hero due to his outfit. Huge Stetson, sunglasses, shirt tucked into his jeans, an incredible pair of boots and the biggest tattoo that I've ever seen on his arm, which was the American flag.

Sadly he wasn't with us for too long.

I ran pretty good for most of the day. I made a huge mistake in playing the afternoon flight. We started at 4pm and finished at 4.25 in the morning. The last 2 levels were really hard work and I was pretty card dead. Was really pleased with myself that I didn't lose my patience and spew for once, the structure was so good that there was no need to do anything rash.

I didn't get to play with any big name players which was a bit of a shame. I did nearly knock Barry Greenstein over coming out of the toilet though. He gave me the same contemptuous look that I've seen a million times before on high stakes poker. 

Got to the end of the day and had 30100, which was 30 bigs going back.
    Bagging up felt great.
  • edited July 2015
    wd sir gl run well
  • edited July 2015
    Day 4

Day 2 of the poker. 
    I only slept for about 4 hours and so felt pretty rubbish when we left for the Rio. Had my passport with me this time. Didn't need it.

Got to my table and things were instantly noticeable as different from the previous day. Very serious. Very first hand and some pleb with the sunglasses, headphones and many pimples look, got arsey with the player who won the hand. Another guy made a comment to which "knob" as I'd already christened him in my mind, told him to shut his mouth and then followed it by "I got me a table of dipshits"
    Ilene the dealer who seemed very nice and competent to me was getting grief every hand about nothing at all. I got a 3bet shove through and then the table broke. 
    Was very happy about this

I couldn't really play much poker (sure many of you will agree with that) as I was so short stacked. I managed to get a few shoves through and then was moved to table Carlos Mortensen. Plus there was a Jonny Chan impersonator on there as well. 
    He was exactly as I'd always thought he was, a really nice guy. He also had a stack and was playing pretty much every hand. 

We'd started the day with over a 1000 left but the numbers were dropping incredibly quickly. Utg who was only playing 10bigs raised and I looked down at Kings and shoved. He's gotta call right? Nope, he passed. Mortensen raised and I looked down at Kings and shoved. He's got a monster stack and it's a 10bigs shove from me. He's gotta call right? Nope, he flashes an Ace and mucks. Although I hadn't got the calls my stack had increased into a bit of a safer position. I had around 16 about 30 off the money. Nice guy on my left who I'd played day one with had folded 99% go his hands. It's folded round to me in the small and I shove. He finds Ace Jack and calls. Oops. A few hands later and we go on the break.

I chat with Neil and Tikay. I've got 16k and we're going back at 1000/2000 and 400 ante. I'm also in the bb first hand back. The screen is showing that we're 23 off the money. Can I fold to the money? Neil doesn't think so and I tend to agree. We go back and it's actually 20 from the cash.

I fold in the blind and look at the screen. We lost 5 first hand. This could be close. It's not exactly my normal strategy but I couldn't care one bit. This was likely to be my one and only WSOP event ever and it would mean everything to me to cash. The money obviously would be nice but just cashing was the main thing on my mind. It would be heart breaking to get so close and miss out, 

I fold the small blind. Another couple of players have gone. I have around 12 hands before I'm blinded out. Tikay and Sam are railing me. Tikay tells me Deadman has just knocked out 2 players in one hand. I've always loved Simon :)

We're maybe 4 hands from my bb and the TD tells the dealers to stand up at the end of the hand they're dealing. Stone Bubble time. 469 left and 468 paid.

It seems to go on forever. They start to break a table near me. Surely that means someone has gone yeah? A few more minutes pass and then...
    "Congratulation everyone, you're all in the money"

Was quite happy 

Carlos raises and I try and bully him by shoving. He's not scared unfortunately and calls the extra 200 chips or so. He wins. 
    It was kind of a perfect end for me. It took an ex World Champion to knock me out!

• edited July 2015
  • edited July 2015
    Fantastic Write up mate and well done on your cash

• edited July 2015
    very well done. has been great reading about it
  • edited July 2015
    Congrats on the cash.
    Sounds like the icing on the cake
  • edited July 2015
    Very well done on living every poker players dream. Well done.
  • edited July 2015
    Fantastic report pal delighted for you.

• edited July 2015
    Well done mate - surely you have 50p to spare ;)
  • edited July 2015
    Cheers for the extra bloggage on Las Vegas, great stuff and well done.
  • edited July 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of a WSOP min casher:
    I did nearly knock Barry Greenstein over coming out of the toilet though. He gave me the same contemptuous look that I've seen a million times before on high stakes poker.  Got to the end of the day and had 30100, which was 30 bigs going back. Bagging up felt great.
    Posted by Jac35

Wierdly on my first ever visit to the Rio I ended up bumping into Barry Greenstein in the toilets and then had my photo taken with him lol...now I'm worried that maybe it wasn't an accident lol

• edited July 2015
    Great write up Paul, so pleased for you cashing at wsop,sounds like a good time was had by all. 
  • edited July 2015
    Pop please Dad :)
  • edited July 2015
    Day 5

Woke up shattered but happy. I normally sleep really well but have really struggled all week. Got around 4 hours.

Eggs benedict in a great cafe right outside the Palazzo helped. Then seeing as I now had some cash I went shopping. Bought some sunglasses and some tat for Penny. Found a great Ralph Lauren tshirt and shorts outfit for Harry.  Will get told by her but sod it.

Booked a Grand Canyon trip. It's likely that this will be my one and only time here and I thought I'd regret it if I didn't go. Sounds good. Pick up from hotel in a couple of hours and taken to Boulder CIty airstrip to start the helicopter tour. It's a 4 hour trip and so that will give me plenty of time to get ready for beers tonight.

Was just about go over to the Rio to rail Timmy when I heard he'd been knocked out. What a fantastic run he had though. 

We met up at 7pm and went over to Blondies for a few beers before seeing a hypnotist. Met up with Alex Spencer and Bolly for the first time. Really nice guys. I've never been a believer but the show was good. One of the lads was the star of the show.

We went back to Blondies after the show for a few more. I'm getting pretty old and so decided to come away around 1am and walked back to the Palazzo. Plan was to go straight to bed but the poker room drew me in. For a 1/2 there were some massive pots being played every orbit. A couple of real punters at the table and generally it seemed that top pair was good enough to beat them. Couldn't find any hands and was down around a $100. Was thinking of leaving the game when the blinds came round. Just before they did I found AJ and flopped Broadway. Sadly the punters weren't in the pot for once but I still made a nice amount. Hung around a bit longer and then stood with a small profit.

Plan was to go straight to bed but then the bar drew me in. Had a few more drinks and got chatting to a couple of fun people either side of me. Finally did actually get to bed around 5. Was delighted to be wide awake by 9.00

I really need to get some proper sleep but looking forward to today.
  • edited July 2015
    One million congratulations Jac!

I've always admired you on Sky poker, and this is a fantastic story.

Makes up for Derby County's season huh?

I had a similar experience yesterday but in the ukpc freeroll!!! lol.... but i bubbled :(

Enjoy the experience Jac.

Ger
  • edited July 2015

Congratulations on a very cool achievement Paul :)

Enjoy the rest of the trip.
  • edited July 2015
    Day 6

Did the Canyon trip which was really good. Not sure that I love helicopters though.
    Got back just in time  to meet up with everyone for a meal. Sam chose really well. Vegas is a bit short of good restaurants and so to find that little gem was outstanding work.
    Probably just a coincidence but Timmy who had been up for a big cash session felt a bit rough afterwards and had to leave us. We did get through a few beers though to help wash it all down.

I think most of us were then up for a bit of cash. Af few went off in different directions and I again went to play at the Venetian. Should really have tried some of the other rooms over the week. I guess a factor may have been that I've been very impressed with the classy valet outfits at the Venetian.

Won around  $80 with no dramas. It was a really good table. I'd had a beer and so was quite chatty and everyone joined in. Had fun but when I looked at my watch and it was 5am I thought it may be time to go.

Then miraculously I slept for 9 hours. Just got up. Typical I finally feel good the day before I come home.
    Gonna pack now so that I can relax. Might spend a bit of time by the pool today. No ones going to believe that I've been here otherwise. Sky party after that.

Edit: just had a look and no surprise to see ActionJack has been credited with the flag from Wednesday. All of my cashes  (prob only about 6/7) have been attributed to different Paul Jacksons.
    I've contacted them before and the they changed it only for them to give them back to the other guys a couple of weeks later.
    I'm not too bothered although this time I'd have quite enjoyed seeing the flag.
  • edited July 2015
    Glad you've had a great trip Paul, well deserved.
  • edited July 2015
    Day 7/8

Did some shopping. Had a great meal. Went out with the Sky people. Got thrown out of nightclub. Ask Liam why.
    Woke up after 3 hours sleep feeling horrendous. Some of the others looked worse. Everything pretty smooth with flights except one thing.
    I made it to Manchester but unfortunately my suitcase didn't. Same for Liam.
    Bit of a crapppy way to end it all but no point worrying too much. Hopefully it'll get sorted. Luckily I had my car keys in my hand luggage.

I really appreciate all the comments and I hope you've enjoyed reading.
  • edited July 2015
    Great meeting up with you again mate was an awesome holiday.

I`m glad you enjoyed the hypnotist show even though involved me making a clown of myself, oh sorry about the night club incident also haha fun times.

Bring on summer 2016 ;)
  • edited July 2015
    Great read and amazing achievement,  vwp sir!

Ps. The room smelled of cat wee and the neighbours were a nightmare ; )

Had a great time all the same, cheers James
  • edited July 2015
    ty vm Paul for the updates
    helps to follow the dream even if we can't live it
    vwp

• edited July 2015
    Back to reality.

Suitcase is on way back from Vegas thankfully.
    Had to go to work today. That was a bit shitte.

Been thinking about what to do now Raketherake deal has gone. If I want 30% (and I do) then the simple answer is play more  I guess if I want to carry on playing dyms on Sky. Did just over 3 hours tonight and got 700 points. I'm thinking if I can put in maybe 4, 4 hour sessions a week then I should be able to make priority comfortably.

Grim start to night. Bust the £55bh very quickly. Flopped a set but had a shoddy run out versus a very creative player. Dyms didn't start well but won about my last 6 or so to make £40 +rake on the night.
  • edited July 2015
    I finally got my luggage back today bud I hope same for you :)