You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

1,000 Poker Points -----> £1,000 Can it be done? ****Yes**** Latest balance £1,089.01 :

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Really good luck with this. It will be really interesting to see how you get on.
    Being likened to Ferguson? Not sure I would be keen on that right now!
  • edited January 2013
    very achieveable gl 

• edited January 2013

Very best of luck with this Gary, the only question is when not if m8.
  • edited January 2013
    gl gary the omaha freefolls do still run  i won the sunday one 2 weeks ago for £26.00 so they r good value,i also won a 25pt freefoll last week for £13.50 . So im sure with your game you will soon build up a br out of the freerolls.
  • edited January 2013
    Mabye I am missing the point but this seems a bit pointless!

Why not just put in £20 - £30 and it would save you hours and hours and hours and hours etc of time.

I think the hardest part will be making the first £50 or so, GL anyway
  • edited January 2013

The very best of luck, no doubt you will achieve it.

Full of admiration for the skill and the discipline you need to have to attempt such a challenge!

• edited January 2013
    GL!

I think the test will be your patience. It's not like your starting on 60p DYMs and can load up 4 or 5 tables to spread it about, you can only play when there is a freeroll! It will be very frustrating to start with I expect, unless you get an early doors bink.

• edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: 1,000 Poker Points -----> £1,000 Can it be done? Latest balance £0.00:
    gl gary the omaha freefolls do still run  i won the sunday one 2 weeks ago for £26.00 so they r good value,i also won a 25pt freefoll last week for £13.50 . So im sure with your game you will soon build up a br out of the freerolls.
    Posted by poshcole
    Thanks for that. Great results you have there, I'll be hoping for something similar.
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: 1,000 Poker Points -----> £1,000 Can it be done? Latest balance £0.00:
    Mabye I am missing the point but this seems a bit pointless! Why not just put in £20 - £30 and it would save you hours and hours and hours and hours etc of time. I think the hardest part will be making the first £50 or so, GL anyway
    Posted by sighcall
    I agree, £0 to £50 is going to be the toughest bit by far. £50 to £1,000 might take longer but there's very little risk of going bust.

Last year I did a similar thing from £51, this time round I thought I'd try and do it the hard way. Pointless starting at zero? Let me put it this way; my John o'Groats to Land End walk would have been much easier if I'd started at Glasgow and cut out The Highlands, but it wouldn't have been the same.
  • edited January 2013
    Out of my first freeroll in 121st/242. Check/shoved my stack on the flop for a big HU pot that would have put me among the leaders, was well ahead so no regrets, unfortunately I couldn't fade my opponent's call with a flush draw this time.

Will have another try at 4-00pm.

Poker Points remaining 975
  • edited January 2013
    Best post i read for ages, all the best to u gary in your quest. Hope u achieve this,and if u do would be the best challenge anyone has acheived ;]
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: 1,000 Poker Points ----- /> £1,000 Can it be done? Latest balance £0.00 : I agree, £0 to £50 is going to be the toughest bit by far. £50 to £1,000 might take longer but there's very little risk of going bust. Last year I did a similar thing from £51, this time round I thought I'd try and do it the hard way. Pointless starting at zero? Let me put it this way; my John o'Groats to Land End walk would have been much easier if I'd started at Glasgow, but it wouldn't have been the same.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Ok yes i understand you want a challege. Al I am saying if you get a bad beat in a torny you have to wait till the next one lol, whereas if you put in even a tenner you could play when you want. 

Would be amazing if you did it though!
  • edited February 2013
    Day 1

Closing Balances; Cash £0.00, Poker Points 950

No change

I played two Freerolls today but drew blanks in both. In the 12-30pm I busted in the middle of the field when my flopped top two pairs failed to hold against a caller who called my flop check/shove with a flush draw.

It was a roller coaster ride in the 4-00pm. In the very first hand I opened to 5BB with QQ and opted to flat a small 3-bet from a player in position. The AQT rainbow flop looked great, I'm never folding middle set in a freeroll. After the chips went in my opponent flipped over the inevitable KJo for the flopped straight. However, the luck went my way this time; I filled up to a full house for an instant double.

I tightened up for quite a while due to the presence of a hyper aggressive player at my table who was raising or re-raising absolutely everything. Then I picked up AA on the BB. He raised, I 3-bet, he 4-bet, I 5-bet, he flatted. The JQ9r flop was on the scary side, particularly when he flatted my half pot lead. All the chips went in with a 5 dealt on the turn. My opponent’s hole-cards were J2o(!) and my aces held.

By now I had 4x the starting stack and was sitting pretty with more than double the average. It began to go downhill a couple of levels later when I doubled an opponent holding A6s. My AKo was good on the AQQr flop and 2 turn. Unfortunately the turn and river were both diamonds which completed his flush, by the time the river had been dealt there were too many chips in the middle and too few behind for me to get away when I knew I was probably beat.

I spent the rest of the game below average, maintaining my stack with uncalled shoves as the rapidly rising blinds reduced the average stack to around 12BB. My exit came close to the bubble when I shoved my last 5BB with a junk hand (92o) from the SB into the BB while desperately needing a double to stand any chance of a deep run. I’d decided to shove any two cards if it folded to me because the BB was playing particularly tight and it would cost him 2/3 of his stack to make the call. Unfortunately for me he had picked up a calling hand, AT which held-up. I went out in 54th/354 (91 rebuys/add-ons), 40 spots to be paid.

With hindsight I wish I’d folded the 92o, I would have had I thought the BB was calling correctly, but I went with my read was that he was on the tight side, I haven’t done the maths but I’m content it was a +ev play.

I’m happy with my play today despite failing to cash. No worries, I’ll be back again tomorrow afternoon trying my luck in the same two games.
  • edited January 2013
    Best of luck Gary.

"AND WHAT DO POINTS MAKE?"
  • edited January 2013
    Good luck Gary.
  • edited February 2013
    Day 2

Closing Balances; Cash £0.00, Poker Points 900

No change

I played another two freerolls without any success. In both I negotiated the early stages to get past the add-on break and into the phase where the rapidly rising blinds turn the tournament into a shallow stacked push/fold game, but once there the cards didn’t fall my way.

My nearest miss was in the 12-30 tournie. Shortly after losing most of my stack with TT (my biggest pair of the day) failing to hold against Q9o aipf a quick double-up gave me hope, but  I then lost the rest of my chips in a standard flip with my pocket 66 losing to A8. With a folded limp and the blinds also in the pot I’d have been right back in contention had it gone my way. As it was I busted in 54th place with 40 spots paid. 

In the 4-00pm game with all stacks getting shallow I open-shoved 10BB on the button with pocket 55. The good news was the SB’s call with A4, the bad news was the BB’s call with KK. The kings held-up to win a large pot. With the next level jump moments away my pocket 55 was an easy shove in that spot, I was just unlucky to run into a bigger pair this time, such is the game.

So far that’s four freerolls played for no return. Not a worry, I know I have a big edge over the wild fields, all I need is some run-good on my side when it comes to the crunch at the sharp end. If my pocket tens had held over Q9 in the 12-30 game I’d almost certainly be reporting my first cash win in this post. It’ll come, sooner or later those crucial late flips or the well-timed premium pairs will be coming my way.
  • edited January 2013

GL with this Gary. I will meet you when you get to half way again for half a shandy!

There is a omaha freeroll tomorrow for only 10 poker points. If you last the 1st hour, you should cash in that.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: 1,000 Poker Points -----> £1,000 Can it be done? Latest balances; £0.00 Poker Points 900:
    GL with this Gary. I will meet you when you get to half way again for half a shandy! There is a omaha freeroll tomorrow for only 10 poker points. If you last the 1st hour, you should cash in that.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Cheers Alan, good luck to you too. Those Omaha games are unmissable for me at the moment, £100 up for grabs for only 10 points, I'm gonna play them every Saturday and Sunday while doing this.
  • edited January 2013
    check this out Gary. Every little helps, good luck.
    Regards Alan.

Free Play PokerPlaying For Free?

You can still earn monthly bonuses, the more you play the greater your chance of winning!

For every free play poker hand you play in the calendar month, you get the chance to earn tournament tokens. 
     https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/sprite.png'); background-attachment: scroll; background-color: transparent; text-indent: 12px; background-position: -5px -236px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat">Play 20 hands in the month and get £1.10 tournament tokenhttps://www.skypoker.com/img/site/sprite.png'); background-attachment: scroll; background-color: transparent; text-indent: 12px; background-position: -5px -236px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat">Play 50 hands in a month and get a £2.20 tournament token
    No deposit required to participate in this promotion or to use the tournament token.

This promotions is open to newly registered and existing customers. Tokens will be credited within 5 working days following the end of the previous month.
  • edited January 2013
    This promotions is open to newly registered and existing customers. Tokens will be credited within 5 working days following the end of the previous month.
    Posted by ajmilton
    It is a good tip,unfortunately not in Gary's set time limit unless he has played the previous month and technically would then disquilify him from using the token.
     But a good tip for those who are BR shy and still want to play
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: 1,000 Poker Points -----> £1,000 Can it be done? Latest balances; £0.00 Poker Points 900:
    check this out Gary. Every little helps, good luck. Regards Alan. Free Play Poker Playing For Free? You can still earn monthly bonuses, the more you play the greater your chance of winning! For every free play poker hand you play in the calendar month, you get the chance to earn tournament tokens.    https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/sprite.png '); background-attachment: scroll; background-color: transparent; text-indent: 12px; background-position: -5px -236px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat">Play 20 hands in the month and get £1.10 tournament token https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/sprite.png '); background-attachment: scroll; background-color: transparent; text-indent: 12px; background-position: -5px -236px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat">Play 50 hands in a month and get a £2.20 tournament token No deposit required to participate in this promotion or to use the tournament token. This promotions is open to newly registered and existing customers. Tokens will be credited within 5 working days following the end of the previous month.
    Posted by ajmilton
    btw......thats a wig right??? if not respect is due!
  • edited January 2013
    gl gary i love the zero to hero br challenges, ive done it before thinking of doing it again this year also, so far im up from 70p to £30 and im sure you will blast it no problem. Will be good to follow you in this to keep me on my toes. GL buddy :)
  • edited January 2013

WOW - Best of luck Gary, this is a challenge!

(Hope u had a good Christmas too!)

• edited January 2013
    good luck gary with ya challenge
  • edited January 2013
    It is a good tip,unfortunately not in Gary's set time limit unless he has played the previous month and technically would then disquilify him from using the token.  But a good tip for those who are BR shy and still want to play
    Posted by settler1
    Why is not in his time limit? All he has to do is play free cash this month to qualify for token next month, simple's

Regards Alan.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: 1,000 Poker Points ----- /> £1,000 Can it be done? Latest balances; £0.00 Poker Points 900 : btw......thats a wig right??? if not respect is due!
    Posted by waller02
    ummmm, yes it's a wig. Right can we move along now and stay on topic, (cough, cough)

Regards Alan.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: 1,000 Poker Points -----> £1,000 Can it be done? Latest balances; £0.00 Poker Points 900 : Why is not in his time limit? All he has to do is play free cash this month to qualify for token next month, simple's Regards Alan.
    Posted by ajmilton
    Sorry my mistake I was sure i'd read that it was a 1 month challenge he had set himself.

So in this instance it was a GREAT TIP
  • edited January 2013
    Mabye I am missing the point but this seems a bit pointless! Why not just put in £20 - £30 and it would save you hours and hours and hours and hours etc of time. I think the hardest part will be making the first £50 or so, GL anyway
    Posted by sighcall
    that would not be possable for a player who has gone Busto, so that would then be the £30to£1030 challenge and not 1000 poker points to £1000

Best of luck with this Gary i will deffo be following your progress.

• edited January 2013
    Thank-you to everybody who has posted a good luck message, and to ajmilton for that very useful tip.
  • edited January 2013
    Good luck with your challange.  I've found in freerolls to treat the early stages like 2/4p cash.

Run well