You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

2p-4p challenge

Comments

• edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: 2p-4p challenge:
    Hi Larson.  For me I'm folding all three of these hands.  I'm not getting the right odds on the flush draws as I think I'm behind, and these just don't hit often enough I don't think.  With hand 1 I can't be sure I'm ahead even if the flush hits.  Hand 2 is a fold as you've said the player is tight and its too expensive to play mid pocket pairs I think.
    L

• edited April 2013
    Hi all.  After a brutal run at NL10 I've taken a few days out and am dropping down to NL4 for a while so I'll see you at the tables soon no doubt.  So far so good, played 2 sessions yesterday, each about 1 and half hours.  Session 1 was 2 tables and a profit of £10.36, had the most amazing cards and would have made more if I hadn't kept calling clubhammers raises lol.  Session 2 I went up to 4 tables and lost £3.30 in total which wasn't too bad as I made what I think was a donk call all in and kicked myself afterwards.
    Today I tried 4 tables again and made a profit of £10.07, so overall amazing results I think.  Going to stick at this level for a bit and try to restore the bankroll.
    Got a couple of interesting hands I'd like to post for your comment but I'm having trouble with the cut and paste - they look ok in preview but when posted its all hyperlinks and garbage - any ideas? 
    Cheers 
    L
  • edited April 2013
    Out of interest, what do you think was harder at 10nl?
  • edited April 2013
    Out of interest, what do you think was harder at 10nl?
    Posted by calcalfold
    Hi calc. Main differences for me are:
    Less limping, more expensive to play hands
    Better reads by opponents
    3 betting with wider ranges
    More aggressive play
    Punish any signs of weakness

Some of the tables the max buy ins are 200 bbs so you can win or lose a lot more as the players are deeper stacked.

Overall I did quite well and made more than I lost, but I think it might have ended being expensive to carry on playing through a bad run. I think its partly in the mind, if I play when I don't feel confident I lose more.

L
  • edited April 2013
    Nothing much to report on the poker front only played one short session lost £3.65 mainly KK v AA;KK v 44; AJ v A7.

Been busy as I was due a phone upgrade and decided it was time to ditch the steam powered nokia, and get a Galaxy S3. Spent a bit of time researching between that & the iphone, & then even more time trying to swap contacts messages & calendar between phones.

Spent tonight sorting through 5000 songs on itunes which I hope is now transferring to the phone as I type.

No poker for a week or so now, as I'm off to Turkey for a weeks golf woo hoo ! Sunshine at last.

Have fun @ the tables, be lucky and see u all soon.
  • edited April 2013
    Enjoy your holiday, have a good one mate
  • edited April 2013
    Been playing quite a bit this weekend, not many of the regulars around.  A couple of profitable sessions and then lost a lot of the gains this evening, net result for the weekend ia a modest £9.73 profit.  Cumulative total for the month (i did only start last week though) is £26.86.  

Still can't work out how to post hands.
    L
  • edited April 2013
    Been playing quite a bit this weekend, not many of the regulars around.  A couple of profitable sessions and then lost a lot of the gains this evening, net result for the weekend ia a modest £9.73 profit.  Cumulative total for the month (i did only start last week though) is £26.86.   Still can't work out how to post hands. L
    Posted by lonesome
    that's good going mate,well played.

had same problem posting hands for ages so here goes...

go to top of this page
    my sky poker
    hand history
    find hand
    click bar on right (down to bottom)
    and bottom bar (over to the right)
    click mouse(goes blue)
    from bottom right of hand move up to top left of hand
    click mouse(right side for r/hander) and copy

i now simply press x top right of screen
    then from lobby load up forum again,and go to where i want to post
     right click again and press paste.
    gl
    :)
    dev
  • edited April 2013
    i was one of the ones that wasnt around the weekend, never played a hand from thursday lunchtime til lunchtime today. the longest ive went without playing a hand in some time. need to get back into it in the nxt few days tho. so nothing really to report.
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: 2p-4p challenge : that's good going mate,well played. had same problem posting hands for ages so here goes... go to top of this page my sky poker hand history find hand click bar on right (down to bottom) and bottom bar (over to the right) click mouse(goes blue) from bottom right of hand move up to top left of hand click mouse(right side for r/hander) and copy i now simply press x top right of screen then from lobby load up forum again,and go to where i want to post  right click again and press paste. gl :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    Cheers Dev, appreciate the help.  Still not working for me though, I can't understand it.  Will try tech support at some point I think.  Its odd because it looks fine on the screen when pasted in, and in preview it looks fine, but when posted all the graphics disappear and hyperlinks and garbage are there instead. 
    L
  • edited April 2013
    Just select the hand, from your hand history.

Drag your icon to copy the whole hand history, press copy then paste it!
  • edited April 2013
    lonesome it might be the browser you are using. if you havent been doing it in internet explorer then try that, i dont have issues with that and i know a lot of issues arise from chrome
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: 2p-4p challenge : Cheers Dev, appreciate the help.  Still not working for me though, I can't understand it.  Will try tech support at some point I think.  Its odd because it looks fine on the screen when pasted in, and in preview it looks fine, but when posted all the graphics disappear and hyperlinks and garbage are there instead.  L
    Posted by lonesome

Hi Lonesome, sounds like you are using download version or google chrome. Will work if you get HH from Internet Explorer.
  • edited April 2013
    Post i put up in the poker clinic, just wondering what other players at this level would have done with this hand? its an unknown opponent and i was thinking his 3 bet wreaks of aces or kings, in the poker clinic a couple said 4 bet to get it in, just wondering if others agree or disagree with this?

In this hand here, opponent has just sat down at the table, I have no reads at all.

I'm in the bb with pocket queens. It is raised 4 times BB then Button reraises 4 times the initial raise to64p total. Given this massive bet it looks like Aces, Kings Maybe Ace King, though i doubt it. Possibly this could be getting done with Jacks Tens or Queens, don't really think opponent is making a move.

I thought i would call to see a flop, flop comes down Ace high opponent over bets the pot on the flop. I'm quite happy with my fold there is very little i am beating here. Do you think it's a bad call preflop? The reason i didn't ship preflop was I don't know the opponent, and so easily at this level abig bet like this signifies aces or kings.

Edit; I don't know if i can fold preflop here, maybe there is an argument for it. I've just checked out opponent on sharkscope, he looks like a decent enough player. If the flop doesn't come down Ace or King high, i'm probably still not loving my hand. The only thing i am beating here is a bluff. I dont see him betting that big with pocket Aces, surely he would check it to me if he had this strong a hand? If he had Kings the Ace would surely have slowed the action down? The only real hand that makes any sense is AK??

bokata Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £7.91
    LARSON7 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £4.89
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q

THDARKLORD Fold     
    nance03 Raise  £0.16 £0.22 £7.91
    pokermask Raise  £0.64 £0.86 £3.37
    bokata Fold     
    LARSON7 Call  £0.60 £1.46 £4.29
    nance03 Fold     
    Flop

• A

LARSON7 Check     
    pokermask Bet  £1.68 £3.14 £1.69
    LARSON7 Fold     
    pokermask Muck     
    pokermask Win  £1.35  £3.04
    pokermask Return  £1.68
  • edited April 2013

Reached £100 profit on saturday afernoon :) but yesterday i decided to play with the bigger boys on 25/50p tables and got spanked!!! LOL

Flopped trips 10's, flop A 10 10 , 3 players me to act first so i checked and so did they, turn a 6 so i bet and they both called, river a 4 i bet and one called, the other shoved putting me all in which i called... Pocket 4's :'(  BUSTED!!!

Oh well deposit £10 on thursday and start this challenge again 

Clint  

• edited April 2013
    Reached £100 profit on saturday afernoon :)but yesterday i decided to play with the bigger boys on 25/50p tables and got spanked!!! LOL Flopped trips 10's, flop A 10 10 , 3 players me to act first so i checked and so did they, turn a 6 so i bet and they both called, river a 4 i bet and one called, the other shoved putting me all in which i called... Pocket 4's :'(  BUSTED!!! Oh well deposit £10 on thursday and start this challenge again  Clint  
    Posted by ClintonH83
    unlucky mate...know the feeling.  lol

come and find me on 5/10p...easy money for you.  lol

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited April 2013
    hi again lonesome.
    if you have 'google chrome' just uninstall it'
    this might be your problem, as others have said.
    i had it and my hands wouldn't post properly.someone told me to uninstall it and it worked fine afterwards.
    gl
    :)
    dev
  • edited April 2013
    hi again lonesome. if you have 'google chrome' just uninstall it' this might be your problem, as others have said. i had it and my hands wouldn't post properly.someone told me to uninstall it and it worked fine afterwards. gl :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    Thanks all for your suggestions.  I've tried this on two computers now but no joy.  Not posting properly with IE either.  As others are fine it must be me but I've no idea what the problem is.  Have uninstalled chrome and rebooted as well.  Very strange.

Sorry, you'll have to wait a bit longer before you can analyse my bad play lol

L
  • edited April 2013
    Post i put up in the poker clinic, just wondering what other players at this level would have done with this hand? its an unknown opponent and i was thinking his 3 bet wreaks of aces or kings, in the poker clinic a couple said 4 bet to get it in, just wondering if others agree or disagree with this? In this hand here, opponent has just sat down at the table, I have no reads at all. I'm in the bb with pocket queens. It is raised 4 times BB then Button reraises 4 times the initial raise to64p total. Given this massive bet it looks like Aces, Kings Maybe Ace King, though i doubt it. Possibly this could be getting done with Jacks Tens or Queens, don't really think opponent is making a move. I thought i would call to see a flop, flop comes down Ace high opponent over bets the pot on the flop. I'm quite happy with my fold there is very little i am beating here. Do you think it's a bad call preflop? The reason i didn't ship preflop was I don't know the opponent, and so easily at this level abig bet like this signifies aces or kings. Edit; I don't know if i can fold preflop here, maybe there is an argument for it. I've just checked out opponent on sharkscope, he looks like a decent enough player. If the flop doesn't come down Ace or King high, i'm probably still not loving my hand. The only thing i am beating here is a bluff. I dont see him betting that big with pocket Aces, surely he would check it to me if he had this strong a hand? If he had Kings the Ace would surely have slowed the action down? The only real hand that makes any sense is AK?? bokata Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £7.91 LARSON7 Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £4.89   Your hole cards Q Q       THDARKLORD Fold         nance03 Raise   £0.16 £0.22 £7.91 pokermask Raise   £0.64 £0.86 £3.37 bokata Fold         LARSON7 Call   £0.60 £1.46 £4.29 nance03 Fold         Flop     A 4 7       LARSON7 Check         pokermask Bet   £1.68 £3.14 £1.69 LARSON7 Fold         pokermask Muck         pokermask Win   £1.35   £3.04 pokermask Return   £1.68
    Posted by LARSON7
    Most of the time you are facing AA or KK.  I'd like to say I'm disciplined enough to fold pre, but often I'd call. Defo fold after flop.

Sharkscope doesn't include cash games so it may not be a reliable indicator (by that I mean my cash game is better than sharkscope might have you believe honest) :)

• edited April 2013

So I played about 45 mins at NL4 tonight. This is a straightforward situation but I'm wondering what the regs at this level would do with this hand on the flop. I read alot of things in the clinic about playing this level and I wonder what NL4 folks think is the best way to get value.

Simple question, then: Bet or check back on the flop and why?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    RobinGibb Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.81
    MauriceGibb Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £7.32
     Your hole cards
    • A

BarryGibb Fold     
    BorinLoner Raise  £0.12 £0.18 £4.08
    RobinGibb Call  £0.10 £0.28 £3.71
    MauriceGibb Fold     
    Flop

• A

RobinGibb Check     
    BorinLoner
    Of course, the Bee Gees are just pseudonyms.

I've only been playing for a few minutes so all I can tell you about Robin is that he's yet to get out of line. I've not seen him get into big pots with ropey hands and he's only showndown "playable" hands. Not seen a huge amount of aggression from him but he hasn't been calling down light either.
  • edited April 2013
    Predictions.....

Calcafold would bet 20/21p.

Devonfish would have min raised pre but as played will bet 9p

Tintin would bet 18p

Craigcu12 would read through his 13 paragaraphs of notes on this villain before deciding wether or not to bet (and how much), but end up 'time out checking' just after paragraph 4.  
  • edited April 2013
    It all depends? lol I find as i play this level alot your oppo could have pretty much anything? 

There is 3 senarios in 2/4p...

1 - Check call to the river then they bet
    2 - Call Call Call
    3 - 4p flop 4p turn £2 river! 

The last few weeks ive found being more agressive with my betting has works out better for me! For some reason the more i bet the more they think im bluffing!?  Ive shoved all in on the river with the nuts at least 10 times the last week and a half to win a 20p pot and been called by someone with top pair! 

So for me unless your playing regs bet bet bet... Id bet the pot on this flop

• edited April 2013

lol @dohhhhhhs response.

standard c bet spot for me here, 75% of pot so around the 20-22p mark.

the reason, i c bet here a lot wether i hit here or miss completely and always to the figures above, so for me its keeps the balance going for myself.

you say they havent been calling down light but i still think theres worse out there that will see another street, and if they are semi competent they could see my bet plainly as a c bet because im on the button. if im met with a call i can evaluate the turn then take a more pot control line if i think the turn is abad card for me or if im raised then its a fold because of the notes.

im a big believer of bet, bet, bet til the action tells you otherwise, so many players are too passive and will call down because they dont have a clue where they are at so its more about punishing them. of course this can catch you out at times and you end up value betting yourself but at times sometimes its best to get action in the future.

• edited April 2013
    back to the results,

yesterday was pretty rubbish so much so i never played once the football started last night. lost £8 in the last 2 days, small win monday then a loss yesterday. dont think i was ever ahead at any point yesterday and at one point i was just trading bins. couldnt win a hand aipf when dominating til i had KK v Larson's QQ (sorry mate i thought you were huge fav there the way i was running)
  • edited April 2013
    was robingibb stayin alive in that hand or was he drawing dead :)
  • edited April 2013
    So I played about 45 mins at NL4 tonight. This is a straightforward situation but I'm wondering what the regs at this level would do with this hand on the flop. I read alot of things in the clinic about playing this level and I wonder what NL4 folks think is the best way to get value. Simple question, then: Bet or check back on the flop and why? Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance RobinGibb  Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £3.81 MauriceGibb  Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £7.32   Your hole cards A 10       BarryGibb  Fold         BorinLoner Raise   £0.12 £0.18 £4.08 RobinGibb  Call   £0.10 £0.28 £3.71 MauriceGibb  Fold         Flop     9 A 4       RobinGibb  Check         BorinLoner Of course, the Bee Gees are just pseudonyms. I've only been playing for a few minutes so all I can tell you about Robin is that he's yet to get out of line. I've not seen him get into big pots with ropey hands and he's only showndown "playable" hands. Not seen a huge amount of aggression from him but he hasn't been calling down light either.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Most would bet 1/2 to 3/4 pot, probably very similiar to yourself:P

And it would be for information no i mean value haha
  • edited April 2013
    Predictions..... Calcafold would bet 20/21p. Devonfish would have min raised pre but as played will bet 9p   Tintin would bet 18p Craigcu12 would read through his 13 paragaraphs of notes on this villain before deciding wether or not to bet (and how much), but end up 'time out checking' just after paragraph 4.  
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Fair play to you, firstly thats very funny.

Secondly, you are about right with my bet amount. Maybe dont need to bet as much a I would, but always bet it

Reason....errrrm we have top pair and we arent exactly going to get value by checking.......
  • edited April 2013
    Nobody wants to make the argument for checking back for value? Under-repping our hand to get paid on later streets?

Is betting really a better option against a player that doesn't call down light? He's going to fold all his non-Ace hands to a bet. If we check, do we not get value from a wider range on later streets?

I didn't think there'd be many advocates of checking on this thread. Which is perhaps something to think about.
  • edited April 2013
    Nobody wants to make the argument for checking back for value ? Under-repping our hand to get paid on later streets?
    None whatsoever.

Its 4nl and making money is simple.

Bet lots when you are likely to have the best hand

Bet a little bit when you might have the best hand

Dont bet when you are beat

Its really that simple.

Dont try and overcomplicate something that is very simple. worse hands will pay you off day in day out, so bet bet bet
  • edited April 2013
    Nobody wants to make the argument for checking back for value ? Under-repping our hand to get paid on later streets? Is betting really a better option against a player that doesn't call down light? He's going to fold all his non-Ace hands to a bet. If we check, do we not get value from a wider range on later streets? I didn't think there'd be many advocates of checking on this thread. Which is perhaps something to think about.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    don't check mate. at nl4 you are losing value by doing this. some do not believe you have hit an ace or have a worse kicker.