You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

2p-4p challenge

Comments

• edited April 2013
    I'm not surprised by these responses. All about "beating NL4" and ignoring the specific reads that have been provided on the player.

Of course we should bet, bet, bet against someone who will call us down light but why would we do this, on this dry board, against someone that won't? Why play against every player as though they're all the same?

I think this a big flaw among some of the winning NL4 players. It's something that costs value at NL4 and hampers attempts to step up the levels. Don't try to "beat NL4", try to beat the individual you're playing against.
  • edited April 2013
    Lets have a game borin, 2p 4p
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: 2p-4p challenge:
    I'm not surprised by these responses. All about "beating NL4" and ignoring the specific reads that have been provided on the player. Of course we should bet, bet, bet against someone who will call us down light but why would we do this, on this dry board, against someone that won't? Why play against every player as though they're all the same? I think this a big flaw among some of the winning NL4 players. It's something that costs value at NL4 and hampers attempts to step up the levels. Don't try to "beat NL4", try to beat the individual you're playing against.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    the way it's going for me atm i couldn't even beat myself,if it was possible to play me...
    "and that's saying something"

and DOHHH, for your imformation i wouldn't bet 9p that's way to much maybe 8 at a push.  lol

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited April 2013
    We are not forcing it on you, play how you like.

Cant be bothered to debate this point (again)
  • edited April 2013
    I'm not surprised by these responses. All about "beating NL4" and ignoring the specific reads that have been provided on the player. Of course we should bet, bet, bet against someone who will call us down light but why would we do this, on this dry board, against someone that won't? Why play against every player as though they're all the same? I think this a big flaw among some of the winning NL4 players. It's something that costs value at NL4 and hampers attempts to step up the levels. Don't try to "beat NL4", try to beat the individual you're playing against.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    not all, i'd refer you to Tintin's

in your post, you say the hand is only after a few minutes so the information at the moment is limited. Past experience does lead to say "bet" based on the short time you've been playing him/her though.

good luck
  • edited April 2013
    We are not forcing it on you, play how you like. Cant be bothered to debate this point (again)
    Posted by calcalfold
    who we talking about mate...me?

if it's me i was only joking mate..chill.

if it's aimed at someone else..who?

:)
    dev
  • edited April 2013
    Posted by BorinLoner
     you are assigning far too much credit to villain if you only played a few orbits with him. If your reads were more solid I don't mind checking the flop back, although I bet it a good bit of time for balancing reasons. From what's in your post though I like vbetting, obv b/f

I agree completely with the above post though. Too many players ask "how do I beat 4nl" , "what do I do with AK facing a 3bet", rather than thinking about specific situations and learning how to think about poker and all the variables in different situations . Just because you can get away with playing robotically doesn't mean it's optimal, even at 4nl

• edited April 2013
    No Dev, I was saying that to borin

• edited April 2013
    No Dev, I was saying that to borin :)
    Posted by calcalfold
    fair play mate,
    just thought it might have been me as it followed my post..

i thought we were cool...which we are.

sorry if i seemed a bit snarky.

dev
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: 2p-4p challenge : fair play mate, just thought it might have been me as it followed my post.. i thought we were cool...which we are. sorry if i seemed a bit snarky. :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5

Course, no worries.

Yea, I was 6/7 tabling when I wrote that, totally forgot to quote him.
  • edited April 2013
    The term "a few minutes" has apparently led some to think that the read has no value: My poor choice of words. It would have been around 30 minutes and probably 15-20 orbits or so. That's besides the point, though.

Believe it or not, I wasn't actually asking advice on how to play this hand. The point was to discuss how the read should affect the play because I think it's a problem at NL4 that players just play the level and not their individual opponents. That's why I posted in this thread and not the clinic. As I said, it's a straightforward situation but I knew what the responses would most likely be and I wanted to encourage some thought on the alternatives based on the reads.

Calcalfold, this is a poker forum. Debating poker is what it's about. :)

Larson, I came and sat at your table but you stood before I was dealt a hand. I could only have played for a few minutes anyway.

Grantorino... Yes.
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: 2p-4p challenge : Course, no worries. Yea, I was 6/7 tabling when I wrote that, totally forgot to quote him.
    Posted by calcalfold
    no worries

dev
  • edited April 2013
    Predictions..... Calcafold would bet 20/21p. Devonfish would have min raised pre but as played will bet 9p   Tintin would bet 18p Craigcu12 would read through his 13 paragaraphs of notes on this villain before deciding wether or not to bet (and how much), but end up 'time out checking' just after paragraph 4.  
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Class :)
  • edited April 2013
    How's everyone doing? 

Decided to play a bit more this week so I will update if others are up for it too?

Tables were bad this afternoon with lots of good players on. One guy 'Dre' was playing 16 tables! 

• edited April 2013
    I have been dabbling in cash for a week or so after failing to improve my balance playing MTTs.

Had a good morning today. Had a maniac sat to my left, and TINTIN on his left. It was a fun table, and I ran up a £40 stack by rivering the maniac with a flush after getting my KK in vs AA and 22 pre. Lost on every other table but banked a healthy profit for the day and will play a lot more cash next month.

• edited April 2013
    I have been dabbling in cash for a week or so after failing to improve my balance playing MTTs. Had a good morning today. Had a maniac sat to my left, and TINTIN on his left. It was a fun table, and I ran up a £40 stack by rivering the maniac with a flush after getting my KK in vs AA and 22 pre. Lost on every other table but banked a healthy profit for the day and will play a lot more cash next month.
    Posted by jimb0d1
    that person aint around a lot but is quite mental. i was railing before i sat down and the stupidity of some of the other players in the chat box wasnt good.

i tried gambling a bit too much with that player and ran into other players monsters, not my usual game but i know its possible to spin huge stack up v said maniac. bad morning for me but know i can get it back
  • edited April 2013
    i have no idea where im at on just the cash side of things. ive hit a bit of a downswing resulting in less hours on cash and more on tourneys. havent kept track of each so i couldnt tell a figure
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to 2p-4p challenge:
    Hey! Was thinking it would be a good ideato have a 2p -4p challenge to see how much profit can be made over a week playing at this level, so all the regular 2p-4p players/ forum regs can get involved. Starting today (saturday) for 1 week I will be posting up on here with how i am doing/ not doing just to keep it interesting. Would be brilliant if other regs at this level posted up on here to, to see who can make the most profit from Saturday to next friday. Maybe it will answer how much profit can be made in a week at this level. Might also be interesting to higher level cash players just to see what's happening. Bit different to the lower stake diaries, and gets a bit of competition going. Good luck!
    Posted by LARSON7
  • edited April 2013
    I'm just going to do a running total starting today ending Sunday night. 

Had a lot of bad beats last couple of days (took a short break for a few weeks) and had to work quite hard to make any sort of profit. Hopefully I'll have a good week.

Started off well, up  £11.64.
  • edited April 2013
    Hello all, is there still a challenge running here? Ive just come back after a long break from sky. Sitting about £14 up from last Saturday. Only playing 2p-4p.
  • edited April 2013
    i don't think their is a challenge we generally just have chats with how we doing on the tables
  • edited April 2013
  • edited April 2013
    We can do a new challenge starting today, ending Sunday night?
  • edited April 2013

Just asked sky if they will put up some sort of prize, to get a real competition going-))

No idea what format it would take, but if Sky was kind enough to offer something, it would make for an interesting may:D

Did someone say there was some competition at one time, where winner got a buy in to a higher level?

Somethin like that would be perfect.

• edited April 2013
    Put in a couple of hours, bad start set vs a bigger set and two AK vs AJ and AQ that both lost. Managed to eek out £6.87.

Running total: +£18.51
  • edited April 2013
    As I'd been doing ok recently and rebuilt my bankroll up to where it had been before I hit a bad spell at NL10, I thought I'd have another go at that level last weekend.  
    Not a great idea it turns out - I started badly but thought I'd be able to play through it and recover losses.  Of course the more you chase the worse it gets and I ended up losing a third of my roll in one weekend :(
    Spent some time today reviewing the big losing hands - lots of little errors which don't really get punished at NL4 but are very expensive at NL10. 
    So, I'll be back at NL4 for a while - it'll take ages to rebuild the bankroll.

Had a real bit of luck this evening - thought I had AK on a board K222x.  Oppo went all in, I called, assumed we'd chop or I'd lose to quads.  I'd misread my cards and actually had AQ which I would have never called an all-in with, but lucky for me oppo was on total bluff and my ace was good lol.

Larson, the challenge is a great idea - how do you know though who has won what?

L
  • edited May 2013
    I dunno if i'll be playing much cash in May, but anything i do will put up on here.

My bankroll is now £50 quid, withdrew the rest earlier.

So i'm forced to play a lot more sensible! Don't imagine profits or losses will be epic either way lol
  • edited May 2013
    Not so many participating as before! Feel all lonely..

Anyway I played two more sessions since last update +31 and some change.

Running total: +£49.68
  • edited May 2013
    Losing losing losing at nl4. I am far too loose and can only play 4 tables at once so get bored. The only results i get are against the real maniacs and then i lose it all to the tight guys. *sigh*       

Back to tournys!
  • edited May 2013
    im not posting up atm as im way down on playing time mainly because i hit a dip and interest waned a little. im still getting some sessions in but ive been doing more tourneys and taking part in the dtd n community wednesday things which ive been doing better in. swings n roundabouts i never seem to do well at both at the same time