You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Another Diary, A Journey: HUSNG / Cash

Comments

• edited April 2013
    larson not every villian who shoves will only hold AA thats for sure.
    xSmall blind £0.02 £0.02 £6.08
    buggerme1 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £4.39
     Your hole cards
    • A
    • K

craigcu12 Raise  £0.20 £0.26 £3.67
    doron Fold     
    xAll-in  £6.08 £6.34 £0.00
    buggerme1 Fold     
    craigcu12 All-in  £3.67 £10.01 £0.00
    xUnmatched bet  £2.23 £7.78 £2.23
    xShow
    • J
    • J

craigcu12 Show
    • A
    • K
    xSmall blind £0.02 £0.02 £1.65
    bennybo283 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £1.33
     Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q

liane17 Fold     
    craigcu12 Raise  £0.20 £0.26 £4.55
    binks123 Fold     
    xAll-in  £1.65 £1.91 £0.00
    bennybo283 Fold     
    craigcu12 Call  £1.47 £3.38 £3.08
    xShow
    • K
    • A

craigcu12 Show
    • Q
    • Q
    normally the most likely time i would say the villian is holding AA was if he limped in then it got raised which he then goes for the jam or if he did a jam on the flop after limping preflop
  • edited April 2013
    lol craig, not always.

It's just every time i re raise and get jammed on haha

It happened again yesterday when i was sitting with Kings lol

I
  • edited April 2013
    Current bank roll £158.35

I had a really bad few days where i was losing everything, i was down at £140, i was tilting and didn't even realise lol

Sometimes i was playing pretty decent poker, but for the most part i was just making bad decisions.

This is a learning experience for me, and i know down swings happen in poker and this has happened here. I didn't hand this well at all, chasing losses, playing more, when i should have done the opposite of this. In future if i lost x amount i might say that's me for the day and just stop.

I've also probably been playing a bit to much poker. It's a funny old game.

Weird how out of winning all of a sudden i lost a few big hands and next thing i've lost quite a hefty percentage. Tilt is weird, and while it may seem obvious you are on "tilt" when it happened to me, i didn't even realise till i was well in the red.

Onwards and upwards.

Just wondering how others feel about and deal with tilt/ variance?

Good luck!
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Another Diary :D Current Bankroll £146.63, Target £300 ]} *£209.99* Broke £200!:
    Current bank roll £158.35 I had a really bad few days where i was losing everything, i was down at £140, i was tilting and didn't even realise lol Sometimes i was playing pretty decent poker, but for the most part i was just making bad decisions. This is a learning experience for me, and i know down swings happen in poker and this has happened here. I didn't hand this well at all, chasing losses, playing more, when i should have done the opposite of this. In future if i lost x amount i might say that's me for the day and just stop. I've also probably been playing a bit to much poker. It's a funny old game. Weird how out of winning all of a sudden i lost a few big hands and next thing i've lost quite a hefty percentage. Tilt is weird, and while it may seem obvious you are on "tilt" when it happened to me, i didn't even realise till i was well in the red. Onwards and upwards. Just wondering how others feel about and deal with tilt/ variance? Good luck!
    Posted by LARSON7
    hi mate,
    ul btw,
    yes it' can creep up on you cant it.
    think there lots of different types of tilt,by looking at 'the mental game of poker book' that GaryQQQ recently leant me.
    just had a glance through whilst playing and it's true.
    probably a combination of things that may have brought it on,as u say playing to much,to long etc.
    i had a bad day y'day mate and was close to it myself.
    my advice;play less tables,play less hrs and yes deffo stop when more than 4/5 buy-ins down
    gl bud
    :)
    dev
    ps;u r still up from your starting b/roll i see...
    imagine how i'm feeling.  lol
  • edited April 2013

the best way i try to deal with tilt is by remembering how often i get annoyed when villians fold weak hands.
    it's like saying to myself do i want rubbish to fold leaving me facing strong hands.
    sometimes i get more tilt when a villian is just too passive with his strong hands.

• edited April 2013
    Nice to play you this afternoon. You got some beats in those last two hands with the K 10s. Hope that's got my bad beats out of the way for tonight!
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Another Diary :D Current Bankroll £146.63, Target £300 ]} *£209.99* Broke £200!:
    Nice to play you this afternoon. You got some beats in those last two hands with the K 10s. Hope that's got my bad beats out of the way for tonight!
    Posted by QUICKFEET
    Hope so! Thanks for the games mate, really enjoyed it.

All the best for the super roller tonight, i hope you bring it down.

If i'm about later on i might drop in see how you are doing.
  • edited April 2013
    Current bankroll, £174.97

Played a bit of HU £1 games and cash ended up doing pretty well in both.

It seems that's the optimum for me, 1 table HU game and a couple of games cash at the same time.

Having to really concentrate at the HU games, as it's quite intensive, helps with the cash, as i'm not getting involved with junk!

I should really play the £2 games, but i'm gonna stick with the £1 games for the time being.
  • edited April 2013
    I withdrew over £100 from my account today. My bankroll is now £50.

I just play poker for fun, if you win a bit of money it's all good, but i seem to have issues with tilt/ making really dumb decisions when i'm not in the right mood.

I know i can play a decent enough game, and even though i lost a good few quid from the peak of doing this, i'm still happy with my performance which is still in profit. The reason i've with drawn this money is due to the fact if i have a little amount in my account i don't have the option to waste money.

I was also playing way to much poker, which was another reason i've taken this money out. I am still going to play, but not as much as before. Having so little in my account will also force me to play 1/2 tables max, which gives me a massive edge on most cash tables i play at currently. I'm still going to update this, maybe less frequently to let everyone know how i am doing and contributing on the forum.

A big thanks to all who have read this and particpated in it. Also a big thanks to all those who have helped with the questions / hands i've posted it has serioussly helped me become a better player.

I have no idea how others view me at tables, i expect one persons opinion will be different compared to anothers depending on how im playing, either LAG or TAG, really depends on the table.

What i am going to do is starting withdrawing any profit if i get to £10 on a day. So the balance isn't ever going much above £50, cause if i win and see that money in my account i think i can do what i want, and go on to lose lol I'll keep a record of withdrawn monies, a running total. Down the line i can re deposit it and effictively that will be my bank roll, it just wont be sitting in my account.

Good luck every1:D
  • edited April 2013
    Hi mate,

what you going to buy with the £100?

something nice I hope.

you've got to do what's best for you mate,and it sounds as though you've thought it through,so good for you.
    I've played you a number of times and you know I respect your game mate.
    if it's 'tilt' that's holding you back,then trust me it can be beaten.
    you have the game to go forwards,if you want to mate,but that's the point..IF you want to.
    i'm sure in time you will but maybe it's not for you now.
    have some fun.

best wishes buddy,
    :)
    dev

• edited April 2013

Thanks Dev,

May's a bad month haha, i have car tax to pay and my insurance 2, which is goin 2 skin me for £700 lol

I'm pretty much doing what i've always done, except the moneys just not going to be in my sky poker account. It just means i'm not able to play as much tables and can't be reckless which i have done in the past just cause i knew i had plenty in my poker account lol

The main thing is i'm enjoying it, a small profit is just a bonus. Also if i'm still learning / developing then thats the other main thing. It's a journey.

I doubt i'll go bust, but if that happens it happens. I'm going to play a few more MTT's to try and get that elusive first place, it's been a good few months since i won one lol and i was rubbish at poker then lol

• edited May 2013

I hope things get better for you I enjoy the games we have.
    it is you choice what you do with the money you have all I would say mind is if you only going to have £50 I wouldn't attempt to do much bluff because if you fail with any it can be a bit of a worry so it might be best to just stay tight now.

• edited May 2013

lol thanks mate, i enjoy playing against you too.

I hardly ever bluff anyway haha

Nothing bad happened, was in profit, slightly lol Just thought i better do something to sort tilt/ reckless play lol

• edited May 2013
    Played the £1 deep stack tourney tonight, ended up 11th out of 100odds.

All in with <10 bigs with KQ called with K10, ten hits lol
    88MickyC Small blind  800.00 800.00 112445.80
    JPW33 Big blind  1600.00 2400.00 69923.40
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • Q

PD03 Fold     
    BIGSHANN Fold     
    LARSON7 All-in  14359.50 16759.50 0.00
    Funky17 Fold     
    88MickyC Fold     
    JPW33 Call  12759.50 29519.00 57163.90
    JPW33 Show
    • K

LARSON7 Show
    • K
    • Q

Flop

Turn

River

JPW33 Win Two Pairs, 10s and 8s
  • edited May 2013
    Heres a quick link for you to check out mate.

Go onto youtube and type into search "telling the time using donkeys b a ll s"

Then click on the link that lasts 1.03 with subtitles

Funny as f...k :)
  • edited May 2013
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Another Diary :D It's all good/ Current Bankroll £50, Current - £54.17 Target £300:
    lol very good
    Posted by LARSON7
    Decided i would play the mini primo tonight, i had a feeling i was winning it lol

But... I did play well, then went out on a bluff when i thought there was no chance i was getting called haha

Hand is up in the MTTHelp post if anyone want's to see how bad it was. But oh well, the next time:D

Current Bankroll, is £50.62
  • edited May 2013

Entered 3 MTTs 2 nite, started out well in all, then went down hill in the Ordfordable deep stack, when i played a hand really bad, posted up in the Poker Clinic.

In the BH i lost with a set of aces, all in on the turn guy hits his gut shot on river

In the deep stack tournie i had pocket 10s, against a maniac who was all in every hand, called against q 9, queen on river. Bit annoying, but what can you do?

TRAG Small blind  150.00 150.00 26295.00
    LARSON7 Big blind  300.00 450.00 6172.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

YOYOYO209 Fold     
    john343 Fold     
    BillyWiz68 Fold     
    Amycakes Raise  900.00 1350.00 20100.00
    TRAG Fold     
    LARSON7 Raise  2400.00 3750.00 3772.00
    Amycakes Call  1800.00 5550.00 18300.00
    Flop

• A

LARSON7 Check     
    Amycakes Check     
    Turn

LARSON7 All-in  3772.00 9322.00 0.00
    Amycakes Call  3772.00 13094.00 14528.00
    LARSON7 Show
    • A
    • A

Amycakes Show

River

Amycakes Win Straight to the 9 13094.
    indigo14 Small blind  50.00 50.00 5080.00
    59 Big blind  100.00 150.00 7697.50
      Your hole cards

stokefc Fold     
    darthpia Raise  300.00 450.00 17680.00
    LARSON7 Call  300.00 750.00 5544.00
    All-in  5082.50 5832.50 0.00
    indigo14 Fold     
    59 Fold     
    darthpia Fold     
    LARSON7 Call  4782.50 10615.00 761.50
    LARSON7 Show

Show
    • Q

Flop

Turn

River

• Q

xWin Pair of Queens 10615.00
  • edited May 2013

ul mate...

and I thought I've been running bad.

keep that brm under control and yule be fine.

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited May 2013
    Im not negative haha

But that was just sick twice in 1 night
  • edited May 2013

Hey!

My account is currently £33. I've played a few number of MTT's which has resulted in the loss, and a bit from cash too.

I am not going to playing as much going forward. Over the last month i have found myself playing way to much.

When i started the challenge to get up to £300, i did think i would do it. I certainly think i am good enough, and it isn't that much of a jump. However, i don't have the discipline for it and i can suffer from "tilt". Weird lol when it happens i don't even see it till i'm in a hole, i started chasing things playing a lot looser which magnifies the problem.

I don't know if many people read these "diaries" or if there is a real interested in them. Going foward i'll still post stuff up here, maybe once a week just to say how things are going. It's mostly about fun when i play, the money isn't the most important thing. It's a great game with the dynamic and competitive nature.

When i first found the forum the first two threads i read were Paul's diary and Garyqqqs challenge it really did get me inspired and made me think i'll give something like that a go. The community really is great, and i would like to thank everyone that has helped me along the way and contributed on here.

There has been many great posts/ contributions, a big thank you to

BorinLoner, absolute legend and has been fantastic about the pokerclinic helping me out with hands played, and helping me understand pot odds!

_arazi_, devonfish, craigcu, lambert180, the_don90, ben_c, percival , and many others who has helped me out a long the way. It has been a great journey. I have learned loads in the last few months which has helped my game immensley, and will for sure benefit me in the future.

For now though, i am going to be quite content to playing with a few quid in my account for fun, and playing a lot less than before. Maybe at some point in the future, i will give it another serious go to build a bankroll.

Good luck everyone

• edited May 2013

it's sad  to hear this but atleast you thinking about it and handling it ok. I hope things do turn round for you in the future.
    I had a bad time last month myself. what I think caused me the problem was making too big a jump up the stakes doing too much aggression and playing too many MTTs generally what I do now is play 4-5 nl4p tables and 1 action table don't bother with MTTs or SnG at all and in cash game only call the suited hands if they Axs or connected and when I am OTB or cutoff and if I get my flush draw and it has been checked I just do the bets myself.
    hope things get better for you.

• edited May 2013
    chin up m8.......if the mtt's aren't going as planned then maybe play a bit more cash??? Dunno what else I can say as I'm in a bit of a hole myself! lol
  • edited May 2013
    Hey Craig and Waller thanks for your messages,

I was playing cash, MTTs, and heads up turbo games.

With c4p and 11th on a BH yesterday my account has £52 quid in it, plenty to mess about with and have a bit of fun with in the main while, once I've had a break I might redeposit the 100 odd quid I took out, I've not made my mind up yet.

I suppose everyone will hit a point in a while, when playing to much means the lose a bit of interest.
  • edited May 2013

I've only been playing about an hour a day over the last couple days.

It's been good, really enjoying it. Before I was playing far to much, getting bored, making mistakes, tilting, donating money.

It's been quite decent saying I only have a small amount in my account, i'll just play for a laugh.

I've made a profit over the last few days, so happy days.

I went a certain distance, learning about the game, improving via the forum, speaking to people, getting feedback on hands through the poker clinic. Maybe a few weeks ago, I thought I knew a load about playing cash, and being a cash player. But truthfully, there is significantly more I need to learn before I could ever really call myself a competent cash player.

Playing at 4nl has been fun, and for the next week or two I will still play the odd game there. But what's been happening is because I can get a win there, and some poor persons made a bad call, I somehow have put it down to the fact I've played well, where as a lot of the time opponent has just played badly. I think to really improve, I need to move up the limits. I've started playing a bit of 10 nl, and will play a bit of both in the meantime.

I am basically going to adjust / re learn a lot about how I play. In the next month or two I hope to be far further forward than where I am just now. I will share that journey through this thread.

As far money/ bankroll, I'm playing with a low amount of buyin's far lower than most would recommend. The next while, it will be a massive learning curve, which is the main thing. I don't expect to go bust, but if it happens it happens, tho I cant see this happening.

• edited May 2013
    Played 5 tables tonight, 1 10nl 4 4nl.

Made a profit on 4 tables, the only table i Lost at was because of this hand here, and i got it in slightly ahead, but didn't manage to improve!
    stanslad21 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £1.50
    _RAGE_ Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £2.76
      Your hole cards
    • K

mazza75 Fold     
    LARSON7 Raise  £0.08 £0.14 £4.90
    MrCoxy Call  £0.08 £0.22 £12.83
    gmanone Fold     
    stanslad21 Fold     
    _RAGE_ Raise  £0.16 £0.38 £2.60
    LARSON7 Call  £0.12 £0.50 £4.78
    MrCoxy Call  £0.12 £0.62 £12.71
    Flop

• Q
    • K

_RAGE_ Bet  £0.31 £0.93 £2.29
    LARSON7 Raise  £1.55 £2.48 £3.23
    MrCoxy Fold     
    _RAGE_ All-in  £2.29 £4.77 £0.00
    LARSON7 Call  £1.05 £5.82 £2.18
    _RAGE_ Show
    • A
    • A

LARSON7 Show
    • K

Turn

• A

River

• Q

_RAGE_ Win Full House, Aces and Queens
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Another Diary :D It's all good/ Current Bankroll £50, Current - £54.17 Target £300:
    Playing at 4nl has been fun, and for the next week or two I will still play the odd game there. But what's been happening is because I can get a win there, and some poor persons made a bad call, I somehow have put it down to the fact I've played well, where as a lot of the time opponent has just played badly. 
    Posted by LARSON7
    Agree with you there Larson, quite often winning at 4NL is due to poor play by others, and also your mistakes don't always get punished.  You can make money following Dohhh's guide without doing anything clever.  Due to the level of play it isn't great preparation for higher levels.  10NL will definitely sharpen your game.  Hope you don't lose your BR, but as long as you know its a possibility and are prepared to accept that risk then go for it.  Table selection is key I think.   Good luck.
    L
  • edited May 2013
    Since you say you are trying to learn, a few questions about the hand above

Why minraise K9s from mp ?

Why is calling the 3bet a good idea?

Why raise the flop?

Gl at the tables
  • edited May 2013
    Hi Larson

Just read some snippits of your posts and i get the impression you've overcooked yourself both in the amount of time you play and rise in stakes in cash. You've put a lot of hands in the clinic and it must be difficult to absorb all the good advice you're given. 
    Personally i felt a bit of apathy recently and took a good break until i felt i fancied getting involved again. ertainly i only play for enjoyment and thankfully don't need to be earning from poker. i can be hard on myself though and bad beats can upset play a lot. 
    Don't be afraid to take a break as poker will always be there. If you aren't going to enjoy it, feel some improvement and generally not feel frustrated with yourself then don't play. Good players have downswings but deal with it better than the majority. That's part of being a good player probably because they have good fundamentals.
     Why not play a freeroll with absolutely no pressure and guage how much you enjoy playing. Are you getting bored? Do you note types of play from others etc? 
    Anyway all the best on your poker journey fella.....
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Another Diary, A Journey:
    Since you say you are trying to learn, a few questions about the hand above Why minraise K9s from mp ? Why is calling the 3bet a good idea? Why raise the flop? Gl at the tables
    Posted by grantorino
    I minraised, because i am playing the hand even though K9 isn't the best of starting hands, when i'm raised, i'm gonna call, for such a small raise.

I'm raising the flop because i want to get the chips in, or a fold either way i'm happy.