You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Story of a Broken Man (£50 or quits!!!)

Comments

• edited May 2013
    shippppppppppp the tv back to where it came from bro ;-). do the cool illegal stuff that us rude bois do and find everything online

Will follow your diary sir, glgl
  • edited May 2013

gl waller,am sure you will be back up there TPT ftw

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (potentially the shortest diary in living memory):
    Is this still going? If so it's already lasted longer than some diarys I've seen launched here in the past :) Good luck. BRM discipline ftw.
    Posted by GaryQQQ

:):):)

You're a good player Ryan and will definitely bounce back. And if you have to deposit again, take heart from the fact you have't had to for so long...hundreds of people have to deposit on a regular basis!
  • edited May 2013
    Hi waller you are a solid player and will bounce back.We all have bad runs and lose money.Difference in you and others, is you have the skill to turn it around.Grind the dyms waller.I made a little profit in them,so anyone can do it lol.Best of luck mate.
  • edited May 2013
    Ryan with team mates like that having a go at you your in the wrong team ( TPT returns accepted). Your not allowed to withdraw some of your BR? Blimey if I ran my BR like that I'd be minted on Sky but up to my eyes in debt in real life.

You've learnt your lesson the hard way and know when your out of your depth. Play at a level your comfortable with and I'm sure you will turn it around. I wish you the best of luck.
  • edited May 2013
    I'm still struggling on........I plan to play DYMs today and I'm also having a go at the freerolls to try and win a seat into the £400BH and the Mini. I may or may not have a £1.60 sat attempt for the 8k BH too (bad BRM, which is what got me into this mess but I have too little to worry about that....I have to go for broke!)

Last night I played the £1.10 DS and finished out of the money. I also played 11 £1 DYMs, winning 7 and losing 4.

Start BR = £6.27 (£4 odd to come with C4P)
    Current BR = £6.52
  • edited May 2013

Bear in mind that £1.15 DYM's are raked at 15% whereas £1.00 HU STTs are raked at only 5%. 

For this reason you should be able to make a much better ROI in the HUs.

For example;

60/100 wins in £1.15 DYMs returns a profit of £5.00, that's an ROI of 4.34%

60/100 wins in £1.05 HU matches gives a profit of £15.00, ROI is 14.28%

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (potentially the shortest diary in living memory):
    Bear in mind that £1.15 DYM's are raked at 15% whereas £1.00 HU STTs are raked at only 5%.  For this reason you should be able to make a much better ROI in the HUs. For example; 60/100 wins in £1.15 DYMs returns a profit of £5.00, that's an ROI of 4.34% 60/100 wins in £1.05 HU matches gives a profit of £15.00, ROI is 14.28%
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Cheers gary might give them a go. Which structure do you recommend?
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (potentially the shortest diary in living memory) : Cheers gary might give them a go. Which structure do you recommend?
    Posted by waller02
    The faster they are the lower your edge. If you have the patience play standard speed. A standard speed HU match takes no longer than a DYM and you play far more hands, so boredom shouldn't be a factor.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (potentially the shortest diary in living memory) : The faster they are the lower your edge. If you have the patience play standard speed. A standard speed HU match takes no longer than a DYM and you play far more hands, so boredom shouldn't be a factor.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    ok ty for the advice. Will start playing a couple later and see how things go.
  • edited May 2013
    good luck on this waller
    well done on withdrawing some to buy yourself something. why not treat yourself when you've done the hardwork to get the br in the first place. wish i was in that position! :)
    you've done it once, you can do it again
    good luck
  • edited May 2013
    Hi Waller - I'm right behind you m8 and wish you all the best.

Having such a low starting bankroll for this challenge can inevitably lead to more mistakes at the tables. We tend to play hands more cautious than normal and don't have the confidence to take down pots we wouldn't normally think twice about.

"Playing Scared" is a phrase we hear a lot when we have withdrawn or lost a big chunk of our roll and it certainly can play a big part in our thought process at the tables. But it's by no means impossible to build our bankroll back up if we apply ABC Poker basics and apply them well.

You only have to look at GaryQQQ's diary challenges to know it's not impossible.

So I wish you all the best sir.

The only advice I can give you is.........play with confidence and get the basics right.

Regards
    Pokertrev (Captain - Team Poker titans)
  • edited May 2013
    If you want a couple of HU Turbo games Waller let me know mate.
  • edited May 2013
    Hiya Waller,--gl --- If you can spin up to 30 quid, I would get into the 2.20 deep stacks for a while, lots of poker for your money there, and a good chance to get a half decent bankroll back--- floppa whoppa!!!

Ps-- when you get back to 100 quid-- don't forget the 1.00 200 grtd-- some dodgy play at that time of night--gl
  • edited May 2013
    Thanks for all the good wishes.

Larson - will take you up on the offer, but not whilst im on the edge of busto!.........not goin well so far today!!!

Yeah nutter I love the deepys, still gonna play the 1.10 one (have fun in dublin btw)
  • edited May 2013
    If you want a couple of HU Turbo games Waller let me know mate.
    Posted by LARSON7
    Lol

Bumhunting in the I'm busto thread

Srsly, good luck Waller, you can easily beat micro stakes here if the variance slaps you'd own on this attempt try deposit 100 if you can at all and start again.

Also you are a rec player so feel free to spend your winnings, what's the point in winning otherwise. Even with your downswing you turned £30 into a £ 600 tv so look on the bright side. Bet you would have thought that was great when you deposited
  • edited May 2013
    Well if I wasn't already on the ropes I am now.........not quite ready to swallow my pride yet though!

Gary made a very valid point about the difference in rake between the £1 HU and DYMs but I stayed on the DYMs because I find HU is easily my weakest form of the game (turns out I'm not great at the DYMs either lol)

Played the £1.10 DS again, once more failing to cash.

DYMs = Won 19 Lost 19.......I think these were the results anyway, either way I'm down down down.....but not quite out....YET

Start BR = £6.27
    Current BR = £2.37.......very much need the £4+ to come when C4P is paid.

Won't be playing much (if at all) today as I'm going to a BBQ......run good all and enjoy the rest of the weekend!!

• edited May 2013
    Argghhhh....just noticed I'm 28th in The Big Deal promo.......but like I said, not playing today.

Will have to try and make up for it tonight (will also need to have a winning streak!!) and try to make the top 20 as it would be a great boost.............light at the end of a very long tunnel?????? Knowing my luck of late I will blow the rest of the money and finish 21st in the promo.......will be fun trying though!
  • edited May 2013
    The question is not just the roll but what you are doing to improve your game to stop the same thing happening again?

GaryQQQ is excellent at building from nothing because he has a clear strategy and has the mentality/skill to execute it brilliantly. He picks the right games with the right roll and has discpline. 

• edited May 2013
    The question is not just the roll but what you are doing to improve your game to stop the same thing happening again? GaryQQQ is excellent at building from nothing because he has a clear strategy and has the mentality/skill to execute it brilliantly. He picks the right games with the right roll and has discpline. 
    Posted by NColley
    The biggest problem was going from being a BR nit to throwing BRM out of the window....as far as my game goes, I'm no phil ivey but I'm no mug either (apart from spewing off my roll!!). I have many leaks of course but the best players in the world would soon go bust if they didn't apply correct BRM (IMO)........when an average player like myself does this then they go bust a lot quicker, which unfortunately I have found out.

We live and we learn.....if (or when as it seems) I have to deposit then I know to maintain a strict BRM to help stop this from happening again. Like I have said I became overconfident, thinking I was better than I was, this will not happen again........fingers burnt, ego deflated and sense restored!!
  • edited May 2013
    Good Luck Waller mate

Ive played you a few times and im certain that whether you have to deposit or not you will be fine.

Its right what you say about over confidence mate but on the flip side of that you also shouldnt put yourself down too much either because you are a good player and we all need some confidence to play optimally.

GL

Daz.
  • edited May 2013
    #teamrik

Smash it mate you will come good again :)
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (potentially the shortest diary in living memory) : Lol Bumhunting in the I'm busto thread Srsly, good luck Waller, you can easily beat micro stakes here if the variance slaps you'd own on this attempt try deposit 100 if you can at all and start again.  Also you are a rec player so feel free to spend your winnings, what's the point in winning otherwise. Even with your downswing you turned £30 into a £ 600 tv so look on the bright side. Bet you would have thought that was great when you deposited
    Posted by grantorino
    lol not at all, easy money for waller when funds allow
  • edited May 2013

Well......I was on the ropes, now I'm on the canvas and it is looking like I am going to have to deposit. My last chance will be when C4P is paid.

At 14.16 I played and lost my final DYM to place my balance at 12p........so I nipped over to the low stakes roulette table and stuck it all on red. The ball landed on RED!!! 24p.....6p more needed for a 30p DYM!!! (can you see how much I REALLY don't wanna depsoit!!! lol)........to cut a long story short, the quest for the other 6p on the roulette table was a fail.

So, it's a sad sad day in the waller household, tears have been shed, dogs have been kicked and the urge to throw my laptop out of the window has just about been controlled.

BR = £0.00

So that leaves me with £4 odd when C4P is paid....until then i will be freerolling it up! On the positive side....when the C4P is paid the Big Deal promo will be over so the DYMs will soften up as the likes of Donttelmum FO back to their own levels!!! lol

I was actually break even results wise but with such a low amount to play with..........I FOUGHT THE RAKE AND THE RAKE WON!

Will post again once C4P is paid and I try again (or if I managed to bink a MTT seat from one of the freerolls).

Run well all and enjoy the rest of the weekend :)

• edited May 2013
    Glad to see you have kept your sense of humour. If it's only your 2nd deposit you should be happy. Well the wife should she got a telly out of it.
  • edited May 2013
    Glad to see you have kept your sense of humour. If it's only your 2nd deposit you should be happy. Well the wife should she got a telly out of it.
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    If you don't laugh then you cry. The money that I lost was money that I had won and never had in the first place (if that makes sense??) which softens the blow a bit...........still a bit gutting but I'll get over it. I'm more annoyed about the way I lost the money tbh

I'm not gonna deposit yet....gonna see if I can work miracles with this C4P payment.
  • edited May 2013
    at last
    don't get me wrong
    not wishing it on you
    but wanting you to get on plan B asap
    cos you will crush it
    but this shadow land in between.......
  • edited May 2013
    u have to be at rock bottom to work at it again and u will become a better player coz of it 

i have been there when i was 21 years old i had nearly 20 grand on me no bull but i splt up with my gf and went of the rails drugs partying etc and roulletes i wont go into more detail i told dohh about my story i was young and naive at the time this will make u a stronger person waller believe me and when u build up a roll again not if u will be wise im sure :)
  • edited May 2013
    Hi Waller
    I enjoyed your diary and found it refreshingly honest. Surprised at some people picking holes but you will always get this from a cross section of opinions. Since I started playing 2 years ago I've always noted you when at my table as a strong player. Instead of masking your losses with excuses you've been honest enough to say cash walloped you and you don't have a clue why. I started having some losing months and couldn't say why myself even though my outlay is small. I lost a bit of confidence and indeed enjoyment in the game so took a break from it which coincided with a 6 week holiday. I've started back slowly to say the least by playing for THS in the DTD and have adopted a 'play to enjoy it' approach. I hope you turn a corner but continue to enjoy the game. All the best
  • edited May 2013
    Not 100% what my plan B is tbh.

Prob won't be depositing until the end of the month as I'm on holiday in a couple weeks, can only afford to stick 50 on (although with a bit of persuasion the missus might allow 100). As to what to play......I'm not sure, confidence is pretty low so prob play the deepys, 2.30 BH's.....might even have a crack at 4nl.