You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Story of a Broken Man (£50 or quits!!!)

Comments

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (potentially the shortest diary in living memory):
    Hi Waller I enjoyed your diary and found it refreshingly honest. Surprised at some people picking holes but you will always get this from a cross section of opinions. Since I started playing 2 years ago I've always noted you when at my table as a strong player. Instead of masking your losses with excuses you've been honest enough to say cash walloped you and you don't have a clue why. I started having some losing months and couldn't say why myself even though my outlay is small. I lost a bit of confidence and indeed enjoyment in the game so took a break from it which coincided with a 6 week holiday. I've started back slowly to say the least by playing for THS in the DTD and have adopted a 'play to enjoy it' approach. I hope you turn a corner but continue to enjoy the game. All the best
    Posted by profman15
    cheers prof, Yeah I went on a massive downswing in all formats of the game and instead of nitting up with my br i did the opposite. Hopefully this will highlight the importance of BRM to others who are trying to build a roll, I certainly know that now!! 

It's back to basics for me.....which should be fun anyway. Gonna keep this diary going to try and stop me making the same mistake again!
  • edited May 2013

Chin up m8, you are competent enough to build it back up. 

Just a quick Q for you tho m8. I thought that as a member of team diamond you were bankrolled by them.

• edited May 2013
    good luck, 

it so much more harder to build up from 0 on here as the freeroll are made more like a crab shoot. I 've seen suggestions for looking at garyqqq thread, but he was playing when the 50points freeroll had a 100gtd so was alot easier back then. but my suggestion is if any try to play the 1am one or the 10am as they don't get that many players in them but still just as bad how many poker points have u got. 

and lol at the roulette jobby done that many a time with my 12p  left in my account. only difference is then it a 500/1 acc on sky bet hopin for a bink. gl again =) 
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (potentially the shortest diary in living memory):
      Chin up m8, you are competent enough to build it back up.     Just a quick Q for you tho m8. I thought that as a member of team diamond you were bankrolled by them.  
    Posted by pomfrittes
    hi pom.......things have changed as far as that goes. shouldn't really say a great deal I suppose but lets just say there were certain people who ruined it for everyone else!!
  • edited May 2013
    good luck,  it so much more harder to build up from 0 on here as the freeroll are made more like a crab shoot. I 've seen suggestions for looking at garyqqq thread, but he was playing when the 50points freeroll had a 100gtd so was alot easier back then. but my suggestion is if any try to play the 1am one or the 10am as they don't get that many players in them but still just as bad how many poker points have u got.  and lol at the roulette jobby done that many a time with my 12p  left in my account. only difference is then it a 500/1 acc on sky bet hopin for a bink. gl again =) 
    Posted by D_Legend
    I have a shedload of poker points, the only problem is that because of work I am unable to play the majority of the freerolls. I do play the ones that offer a tourney seat, but with only the top 10 getting a seat and the fact that the addon is not an option for the me it is VERY hard!
  • edited May 2013
    UPDATE......UPDATE......UPDATE!!!!

I have funds in my account (and it's slightly more than I thought)

C4P has been paid so I have £5.41......yes £5.41!!!

Now Gary suggested playing £1 HU matches but they are easily my weakest form of the game so I'm not sure how to proceed. I know a lot of people who read this will be like "YAWN STFU AND DEPOSIT".........but where is the fun in that. Besides if I manage to dig myself out of this hole without having to deposit it would be a sort of mini achievement for me.

If anybody does read this......what would you play with these measly funds? I'm thinking £1 quid DYMs. Should I stick 4 quid on a 4nl table?  Should I gamble with a £3.30 DYM (I would lose).......
  • edited May 2013
    Stick it on the 2:30 bh at 20:05.  Bink that tournament/get a few bounties and all is well in the world. Plus you'll still have a mega £3.11 left.

• edited May 2013
    Stick it on the 2:30 bh at 20:05.  Bink that tournament/get a few bounties and all is well in the world. Plus you'll still have a mega £3.11 left.
    Posted by gazza127
    hmmm.....not sure, I much prefer mtts. I'm poor at dyms W0 L1 so far lol
  • edited May 2013
    7.45 Deepy @ £1.10 and play the best pker of your life :)
  • edited May 2013
    play a load of 30p Turbo DYMs and try and get over 100 points so that you get some C4Ps next month. I played a load of them over the weekend for the promo and worked out i made around 5 quid. I know its not much but at least you will get lots of games and in a couple of days move up to the 60p dyms and 1.15dyms in a few days. 
  • edited May 2013
    7.45 Deepy @ £1.10 and play the best pker of your life :)
    Posted by POKERTREV
    I have reg....will probs regret it lol
  • edited May 2013
    play a load of 30p Turbo DYMs and try and get over 100 points so that you get some C4Ps next month. I played a load of them over the weekend for the promo and worked out i made around 5 quid. I know its not much but at least you will get lots of games and in a couple of days move up to the 60p dyms and 1.15dyms in a few days. 
    Posted by stuarty117
    I can't stand the turbos m8.....should prob be playing the 60ps but I'm going for broke with £1 ones haha.

Also, the points don't concern me really I doubt I will earn enough with so little in my account, I have 102 now though so it's an extra quid......if things don't work out I plan to stick 50-100 on anyway and start again.
  • edited May 2013
    Well, 6 £1 DYMs and a failed £1.10 DS later I'm exactly where I started the evening.

£1 DYMs = W4 L2 (I lost the first 2 so I'm on a roll haha)

Seriously though, I never thought I would see the day that a £1 DYM would get my heart pumping when the chips are in the middle! Scared money ftw!!!

This is why poker is the best game around (apart from football..........and darts)

So, still on £5.41 and going to bed....run well all.
  • edited May 2013
    On a roll! a tenner beckons...
  • edited May 2013
    In my 1000 Poker Point thingy I started risking real money on Day 23 when I'd accumulated £6.94 from Freerolls. So I was in a similar position to where you are now, each £1 game felt massive.

As well as playing the freerolls I'd also spent the first 22 days railing 55p/£1.05 HU STTs and making notes on all the regulars. So by the time day 23 came around I was able to table select very carefully; ie only sit in with the weakest players at that level, armed with my notes, and avoided the best guys. It bore fruit, I got off to a good start and my balance climbed quickly. After a few days I was ready to sit first and take on all-comers.
  • edited May 2013
    In my 1000 Poker Point thingy I started risking real money on Day 23 when I'd accumulated £6.94 from Freerolls. So I was in a similar position to where you are now, each £1 game felt massive. As well as playing the freerolls I'd also spent the first 22 days railing 55p/£1.05 HU STTs and making notes on all the regulars. So by the time day 23 came around I was able to table select very carefully; ie only sit in with the weakest players at that level, armed with my notes, and avoided the best guys. It bore fruit, I got off to a good start and my balance climbed quickly. After a few days I was ready to sit first and take on all-comers.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Ty for the post Gary.......I am truly awful at HU which is why I am avoiding them. I also lack the patience to sit there railing and taking notes on HU matches (surely there can't be too many strong players to avoid at that level??)

I dunno though mate, I am finding the rake hard to beat with the £1 DYMs so it looks like I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and play some HU
  • edited May 2013

Short stack a couple of nl4 tables.
  • edited May 2013
    Posted by pomfrittes
    The only thing putting me off that is the fact I could get coolered/outdrawn and BOOM its gone!!
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (potentially the shortest diary in living memory) : Ty for the post Gary.......I am truly awful at HU which is why I am avoiding them. I also lack the patience to sit there railing and taking notes on HU matches (surely there can't be too many strong players to avoid at that level??) I dunno though mate, I am finding the rake hard to beat with the £1 DYMs so it looks like I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and play some HU
    Posted by waller02

It's a no brainer Rik! If you can own me @ 30nl (u can, and u have) u can smash £1 HU sngs! (and any level up to at least £10 prob)

When you consider a v good dym roi @ 10% rake is 7-8%, then u have to deduct 5% for the added rake @ micros, which leaves you aiming for a best possible ROI long term of 2%. Which on a £1 game, is 2p profit per game. 

Good luck grinding your roll up like that! lol.

Get a reload banged in, play the low stakes MTTs, and crushem! 

gl!
  • edited May 2013
    Posted by pomfrittes
    This. I used to do this a lot when at 4nl. Can spin it up pretty quick. Tis obv the high variance route though.

Gl
  • edited May 2013
    Hi Waller
    I was in a similar position to you had about 400 quid in my account and switched to cash instead of my usual dyms and slowly frittered away at nl10 coupled with playing a lot of UKOPS sats. I won plenty seats but no cashes played ok but couldn't win a race when it mattered. Also played sats for 8pm MTTs and again no major cashes and a few times bought in direct and all of a sudden I logged in to find I had £13 in my account and yep thought no way am I taking the long walk to the cashline ;-)
    I decided to play £2 dyms and built it up slowly and moved up to £3 level and then some £5 games and currently 9 tabling again between £2 and £5 level with the odd £10 if running hot
    Current bankroll back to £400 so keep your chin up mate patience and good roll management will get you back
  • edited May 2013
    Ty for the posts.......

@dohhhhhh..........I'm a shadow of my former self haha, seriously confidence is zero......not a good mindset to be playing any form of poker never mind HU. I prefer mtts but not in a position to play them, would prob do me a favour to go broke and have to deposit but I'm a proud man!! Besides, I predict I will be at zero by the of the week at the latest.

@pom and aj........yep, sat down at a 4nl table, update to follow

@gixxer.......obv got good game to build yourself back up. I cannot beat the rake atm and can't afford to keep up with the W1 L1 that seems to be happening time and time again.

So, all things considered I have decided to soley play 4nl and see what happens. As mentioned I am losing the rake race with the dyms so I sat down for a 90min or so session playing 4nl.

This hand below is pretty much how the dyms were going for me.........constantly getting to the last 4 and getting my chips in when I feel the time is right. Given the stack sizes I have to call here yeah???
    uncle0nion Small blind  150.00 150.00 2350.00
    waller02 Big blind  300.00 450.00 1980.00
     Your hole cards
    • J
    • A

chris1963 Fold     
    Hibby1973 All-in  2047.50 2497.50 0.00
    uncle0nion Fold     
    waller02 Call  1747.50 4245.00 232.50
    waller02 Show
    • J
    • A

Hibby1973 Show
    • K
    • Q

Flop

• Q
    • K

Turn

River

Hibby1973 Win Two Pairs, Kings and Queens 4245.00  4245.00
    Ok, so the 4nl.....I only played one table, sat tight then this hand comes along (prob the only semi-interesting hand of the session). The oppo was the best player on the table (not including myself of course haha), he was very solid. I had noted he was 5 tabling and he was up on all but 1 of them. I have left his name in, he is not a forum reg (as far as I know) and I have just given the guy a compliment so don't see any problem.

I had been on the table for over an hour, I had not c/c 2 streets once. He could put me on a busted flush draw, he may know I'm one tabling with a random amount (a sign that what I'm sat with is all I have) but his shove was the first time he had taken this line.....I felt I must be beat, 55 or FH. If I'm fully rolled I may make the call and take notes.....when the call is pretty much all my roll I felt my only option was the fold.....correct? Was c/c the flop and turn ok??
    HunterM63 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £1.23
    waller02 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £2.86
     Your hole cards

cactusjac Raise  £0.12 £0.18 £4.92
    Keithyy Fold     
    hamtin Fold     
    Karen309 Fold     
    HunterM63 Fold     
    waller02 Call  £0.08 £0.26 £2.78
    Flop

waller02 Check     
    cactusjac Bet  £0.12 £0.38 £4.80
    waller02 Call  £0.12 £0.50 £2.66
    Turn

waller02 Check     
    cactusjac Bet  £0.20 £0.70 £4.60
    waller02 Call  £0.20 £0.90 £2.46
    River

waller02 Check     
    cactusjac All-in  £4.60 £5.50 £0.00
    waller02 Fold     
    cactusjac Muck     
    cactusjac Win  £0.83  £0.83
    cactusjac Return  £4.60 £0.07 £5.43
    Anyway, thats my evening in a nutshell!

BR = £3.76

4nl all the way from now
  • edited May 2013
    And oh yeah........any forum 4nl regs, give a guy a break and stay off my table!! haha
  • edited May 2013
     chin up mate  always nice to have a challenge...isn't it? lol

re that aj dym hand above, no you don't HAVE TO call,you chose to.
    personally I prefer a push with 52 than a call here with aj,as once you call you are only giving yourself 1 chance of winning.
    yes you lose 300 chips but you still have almost  2000 left to play with.
    calling allins is never a good play especially on the bubble, and I only call if it's my only option or I have a good read on that player.
    pushing with any 2 is a much better line to take,imo
    it's the same playing ace rag,only play them if you HAVE to,not through choice.
    gl
    :)
    dev
  • edited May 2013
     chin up mate  always nice to have a challenge...isn't it? lol re that aj dym hand above, no you don't HAVE TO call,you chose to. personally I prefer a push with 52 than a call here with aj,as once you call you are only giving yourself 1 chance of winning. yes you lose 300 chips but you still have almost  2000 left to play with. calling allins is never a good play especially on the bubble, and I only call if it's my only option or I have a good read on that player. pushing with any 2 is a much better line to take,imo it's the same playing ace rag,only play them if you HAVE to,not through choice. gl :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    ah right ok. I aint playing them anymore now anyway.....I struggle to get used to the difference in the style of play between them and mtts where that would have been a snap call. I there is one man who knows his dyms then its you mate!! Will take that into consideration if I decide to play them again the future
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (potentially the shortest diary in living memory) : ah right ok. I aint playing them anymore now anyway.....I struggle to get used to the difference in the style of play between them and mtts where that would have been a snap call. I there is one man who knows his dyms then its you mate!! Will take that into consideration if I decide to play them again the future
    Posted by waller02
    no worries mate,

simple to remember

calling allins bad
    going allin good

dev
  • edited May 2013
    Played a bit of 4nl last night and it was the first time in a long time that I finished the evening with more than I started.....was proper boring though!!! haha
    I played 2 tables....short stacking both. Lost over a quid AQ<AK on an ace high flop but managed to claw a bit back.

I may play some £1 HU tonight as well as some more 4nl. It is horrible sat on a table knowing 1 cooler/mistake and I'm broke lol

Start BR (since I stopped the DYMs) = £3.76
    Current = £4.19

This weekend has the potential to bust me......drunken poker :)
  • edited May 2013
    NOTE TO SELF (and others) : WHEN GARYQQQ GIVES ADVICE, DO NOT IGNORE IT!!!!

Ok gary.....I finally took your advice and played some HU...I have more than doubled my roll in an hour.

Played 5 Won 5...........beginners luck I know, and I know there is no way of maintaining that win rate but it has given me some confidence (MUCH NEEDED!!)

10 May '13 at 19:28PokerHeads-Up (Speed)£0.95£0.00Poker AIR clientHand History10 May '13 at 19:10PokerHeads-Up (Speed)£0.95£0.00Poker AIR clientHand History10 May '13 at 19:07PokerHeads-Up (Speed)£0.95£0.00InternetHand History10 May '13 at 18:59PokerHorsham£0.14£0.00Poker AIR clientHand History10 May '13 at 18:58PokerHeads-Up (Speed)£0.95£0.00Poker AIR clientHand History10 May '13 at 18:46PokerSyndicate FR Final£0.00£0.00Poker AIR clientHand History10 May '13 at 18:44PokerKing OT Hill FR£0.00£0.00Poker AIR clientHand History10 May '13 at 18:40PokerHeads-Up (Speed)£0.95
    Start BR = £3.76
    Current = £9.08

Still plan on playing 4nl....but now with some HU in the mix too

EDIT: have treated myself to the £1.10 deepy.......haha "treated", a £1 mtt......sigh!
  • edited May 2013
    Cash not going well!!!!.........neither is the mtt, gonna try some more HU

10 May '13 at 20:01PokerWell Meadow£-3.20£0.00Poker AIR clientHand History10 May '13 at 20:00PokerCall Lane£2.58
  • edited May 2013
    Thats me done for the night.............pretty wasted!!

Played quite a few HU tonight...........don't know why I put them off for so long, guess it was just a confidence issue. TBF there are quite a few good players, I had some great games and really enjoyed them.

Obv didn't keep up the great run....had a best of 3 with some guy/gal who pretty much had me in their pocket......made a note and won't be playing them again.

Played some 4nl on the side which wasn't very enjoyable. I think to get the best out of 4nl you need to be 4+ tabling or it is seriously boring with little or no reward..........I ended up slightly down tbh,

So, results.........

The 4nl........not sure

£1 HU: Played 29

W18
    L11

BR = £8.29

Retiring to my chamber now.......intoxicated and tired!