You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Story of a Broken Man (£50 or quits!!!)

Comments

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (potentially the shortest diary in living memory):
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (potentially the shortest diary in living memory) : I'm 0/6 in that deepy lol......I was thinking maybe 2-3 quid DYMs alongside some micro mtts. Will not be playing cash when I'm back next weekend as it's that promo so it will be reg central!! Will prob continue with the HU too........this week off will do me good though, fresh start, pressure off. Should be easier to play with £50 rather than £5. If I blow the £50 I will seriously consider whether I want to ply poker anymore lol
    Posted by waller02
    hi mate,

ul not spinning up the £6,was never going to be easy.

stick in £50 play £1 & £2 dym's  only,(no tournaments at this stage)get to £100
    withdraw the £50 deposited.
    now it's easy you are playing with 'free money' effectively.

get back up to £100 the same way.
    now you have a b/roll to play with,and more options as to what to do next.

it is simple mate,play tight think right,especially around the bubble,don't call all-ins,be aggressive.
    if I can do it mate,then you or anyone else can.

gl, whatever you decide.
    :)
    dev

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (potentially the shortest diary in living memory):
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (potentially the shortest diary in living memory) : hi mate, ul not spinning up the £6,was never going to be easy. stick in £50 play £1 & £2 dym's  only,(no tournaments at this stage)get to £100 withdraw the £50 deposited. now it's easy you are playing with 'free money' effectively. get back up to £100 the same way. now you have a b/roll to play with,and more options as to what to do next. it is simple mate,play tight think right,especially around the bubble,don't call all-ins,be aggressive. if I can do it mate,then you or anyone else can. gl, whatever you decide. :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    Cheers dev yeah was always going to be hard.

Yeah I think the dyms are the way to go but I will also play the odd £1.10 DS or £2.30 BH if the dyms are going well. MTT's are by far my favourite format so I will not be able to resist playing one from time to time!!
  • edited May 2013
    Hi waller,

UL with your challenge.  You certainly gave it a good go but it was always going to be difficult with a small BR - no room for variance at all.

I'd definitely recommend the 20:05 BH each night.  Large MTT field, ergo lots of bounties to collect and a decent prize up top for just £2.30!  You've said already that you prefer playing MTTs and this is definitely a tournament not to miss IMO.

Anyway good luck.  Look forward to you hearing how you do with the new BR.
  • edited May 2013
    Hi waller, UL with your challenge.  You certainly gave it a good go but it was always going to be difficult with a small BR - no room for variance at all. I'd definitely recommend the 20:05 BH each night.  Large MTT field, ergo lots of bounties to collect and a decent prize up top for just £2.30!  You've said already that you prefer playing MTTs and this is definitely a tournament not to miss IMO. Anyway good luck.  Look forward to you hearing how you do with the new BR.
    Posted by gazza127
    Yes, I love the £500 BH and intend to play it from time to time. Still toying with the idea of giving 4nl a proper go too. I'm away for the week now so will decide when I get back.

BTW.....best of luck with your diary, I can see you are a great mtt player so it should be a good read
  • edited May 2013
    Play NL4

keep your varaince as low as possible while building

no high variance plays etc.. avoid flips....

don't play mtt's untill you are at £100 - varaince will eat you up

• edited May 2013
    Hi W

So you've bust. Fine ...a new start is on the horizon and a new approach. £50? Lets get value for money, see the job in hand and look to improve our play. Play deepstacks and take time to review your hands. Any uncertain ones then put in the clinic and get opinions. Look on it as a back to basics and a relearning of a game you used to enjoy which its seems you've lost confidence in your ability to play.   Why not reread a poker book, play very tight and loosen up as the confidence returns. Make notes on your game, make notes on other players and involve yourself fully in a cheap low stakes game which can provideplay to questin yourself but improve upon.
    if dym's are showing some positives then play one alongside your deepstack to encourage patience is a good strategy. you may earn your stake back during the play.(John Connors ABC of dym's on site is excellent and will provide a fine foundation for your play).
    It's not about going straight to winning...life's not like that usually but getting confidence and a positive enthusiasm back for the game is your main aim at the moment, i suspect.
    After all if it can't at least enjoy it then is it worth playing if you're not winning on top of that?
    Good luck Waller. i do understand how you're feeling. I got fed up with it myself having poor results/ bad beats  for no apparent reason but downswings do happen. Keep confident about your game is the hard thing so you need to go over hands particularly 'bad' ones and see if you'd made a good plan. If unsure then ask in clinic.

POKER IS A GAME TO ENJOY.....hopefully! HA
  • edited May 2013
    playing tournaments even £2.20 are not a good idea with a small b/roll imo.
    yes you could get a decent return but the odds are against you.
    the £1.10 ds is ok I guess.
    if you are playing for fun,that's fine,play what you like.
    if you are looking to build a b/roll then you have to find a plan that is likely to work and stick to it.
    playing dym's is by far the safest way for that,imo.
    playing cash is also ok I guess,if you know what you are doing.
    the most important thing though is brm,whatever you choose to do.
    as long as you play well inside of that,you should be ok.
    gl again buddy.
    dev
  • edited May 2013
    Right.........I am back!!!!

Just deposited 50 english pounds, but i'm still not sure how to proceed. Dev mentions playing DYM's but I'm not profitable in them, even after 1000's of games.

I would like to give 4nl a proper crack but not this weekend during the promo.....for instance, donttelmum is on virtually every table with £8+ stack........no thanks.

I really really really REALLY wanna play mtt's but like others have mentioned I need to have strict brm to avoid losing this money......If I lose this money then I will be giving serious thought about whether or not I should still keep playing pokerz.

So.....I'm gonna start with some 2 quid dyms and pray. Also gonna play the £1.10 DS (and if by some miracle the dyms have gone well, I will treat myself to the £500 BH at 20.05)

18 mnths ago I would have felt confident about building this 50 quid up to 200+ etc. in no time..........now, I'm not even sure I can stop myself from going broke again.........bring out the violins!!!

BR = £50
  • edited May 2013
    Nooooooooooooo

stay away from dym's - not your game

play cheap solid mtts

sure variance is higher but its a game you know, love & can beat

glgl
  • edited May 2013
    I haven't read any posts in this thread except for the last two.

Waller, if you're good at MTT's but want some low variance games to build your roll, then play some regular sit and go's. They fill fairly quickly in the evenings if someone is the first to register. Nobody likes to be first, though.

Anyway, I think they're the best way to build a roll if you're a micro MTT player.
  • edited May 2013
    Nooooooooooooo stay away from dym's - not your game play cheap solid mtts sure variance is higher but its a game you know, love & can beatglgl
    Posted by GELDY
    Know [x]
    Love [x]
    Can Beat [ ]

mmmm, well I havent started yet, currently playing a freeroll.

The only mtt's I'm looking at are the £1.10 and £2.20 DS and the £2.30 BH's........not much room for error until I go busto again. Having said that, if I can't beat dyms after the amount I have played then I simply won't beat them......it's easy for dev to say "dyms are the way forward" because he crushes them, I just can't adapt to them. Plus I find them robotic and mind numbingly boring.

Ok......here is the plan. I will give myself £20 to play with mtt wise........if/when I get down to £30 then I will have a rethink about how best to proceed.

BTW, seen your SPT thread. Nice one, have a great time!
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (£50 or quits!!!):
    I haven't read any posts in this thread except for the last two. Waller, if you're good at MTT's but want some low variance games to build your roll, then play some regular sit and go's. They fill fairly quickly in the evenings if someone is the first to register. Nobody likes to be first, though. Anyway, I think they're the best way to build a roll if you're a micro MTT player.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Just had a look at them in the lobby and I think they are worth a go. Will play a few of the £1.10 six max on the side then.......like I said, if I get down to £30 then I will have to think of something else I guess (i.e quitting cos I'm no good haha).

I will have a clearer picture by Monday when the cash promo is over, then I can think about giving 4nl a serious go.
  • edited May 2013
    Play a few sit n gos as a sideline but strictly focus on the cheap MTT's. Personally I would limit myself to just 1 or 2 sit n gos max per night or that £20 you've allowed could soon dwindle if things don't go right. And no distractions TV, xhamster etc.
    I really wish you well in this.
  • edited May 2013
    hi waller,

gl with this mate,i'm sure with £50 behind you you will be fine.
    don,t go with dym,s mate if they aren't your cup of tea.
    play a few cheap tournies if they are your preferred game.
    play some nl4 when the promo finishes .

it's all about finding a game you enjoy and can find an edge playing.
    for me it was dym as I learnt very quickly by playing a large amount at a time I could beat the rake and variance quite easily,well up to the £3 level anyway.
    that's the only reason I suggested them to you with a low starting b/roll.

hope you find a way of building your b/roll  back up again mate,whatever you decide to play.
    gl mate
    dev

• edited May 2013
    Cheers dagg and dev.

I honestly feel that I have just turned into an AWFUL player in every format that I try.........this is turning into some kind of joke at my expense, just lasted 12 minutes in my first mtt.......12 minutes!!!

It was a £250 BH....£2.30.

I have spent 5 minutes reviewing the hand and have come up with the following:

1. Was there any need to be playing this hand UTG???
    2. When the oppo shoves here were the possible/likely outcomes.......6x (yes people will play this hand that way in a £2.30 BH), 2x, an overpair or a flush draw.......or FH and quads of course but I would not be expecting a shove there.

On that flop, given that it is a paired board, was I right to call?? I will remove his hand.....although you already know that I lost.
    chanty170 Small blind  15.00 15.00 2230.00
    xBig blind  30.00 45.00 2215.00
     Your hole cards
    • A

waller02 Raise  90.00 135.00 1760.00
    layla1975 Fold     
    hooly52 Fold     
    scrapman09 Fold     
    chanty170 Fold     
    xCall  60.00 195.00 2155.00
    Flop

xCheck     
    waller02 Bet  120.00 315.00 1640.00
    xAll-in  2155.00 2470.00 0.00
    waller02 All-in  1640.00 4110.00 0.00
  • edited May 2013
    I'm OK shoving with a draw against the right opponent, but I'm not OK calling off with one. The best you can possibly hope for here is a worse flush draw, you're behind everything else. You have ace-high, this should be a reluctant fold. FWIW I'd open A8s for 75 (2.5BB), I'd muck A8o. 

Good luck with this. Stick to your most profitable formats of the game, be mentally strong and do your very best to avoid tilt.

Contrary to common opinion Bounty Hunters are low variance games. This is because the head-prizes get spread among the field. The winner of a Bounty Hunter banks less than the winner of a freezeout, though on the other side of the coin lots of players will bust with head-prizes in their pocket in positions that would return nothing in a freeze-out. How often have you busted people in freezeouts and though 'damn, I wish this was a Bounty Hunter'?
  • edited May 2013
    I'm OK shoving with a draw against the right opponent, but I'm not OK calling off with one. The best you can possibly hope for here is a worse flush draw, you're behind everything else. You have ace-high, this should be a reluctant fold. FWIW I'd open A8s too, I'd muck A8o.  Good luck with this. Stick to your most profitable formats of the game, be mentally strong and do your very best to avoid tilt. Contrary to common opinion Bounty Hunters are low variance games. This is because the head-prizes get spread among the field. The winner of a Bounty Hunter banks less than the winner of a freezeout, though on the other side of the coin lots of players will bust with head-prizes in their pocket in positions that would return nothing in a freeze-out. How often have you busted people in freezeouts and though 'damn, I wish this was a Bounty Hunter'?
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Yeah when I looked at the hand I wasn't a fan of the call either. In game I saw 2 overs and the nut flush draw and called.....just desperate to get off to a good start lol. On reflection, I thought that one of my overs (possibly both) might not be good and at best I was left with my flush draw or already in a world of hurt against a flopped FH.........we'll call it rustiness because I prefer that to fish!!!

I guess these are the kind of hands that you fold when things are going well but call when times are hard and you are getting desperate...........is that tilt??? Maybe a mild form of it!

Cheers for the post gary anyway and best of luck with your challenge m8
  • edited May 2013
    play small mts imo and 4nl if u wanna build it up dont play dyms 
  • edited May 2013
    Yeah.... I'm happy shoving a flush draw... not calling for one.  This way you know youre behind and have to hit.

Without trying to sound patronising (i hope it doesn't as I know youre a decent player), the beginnings of an MTT are all about patience.  Forget about the hands, the oppositions etc.  The blinds are low and there is no need to commit youre stack at an early stage like this.  Wait for your moments, pick up chips when youre pretty sure you have the best hand.  Calls like this should only be occurring if youre desperately low on chips or when the blinds have increased substantially.

The key I (try to) use when I play MTTs (relatively successfully) is never commit youre entire stack unless you either HAVE to or you have what you deem is the nuts.  You can easily survive on 2k chips for over an hour. 12 minutes in?  Got to pick a better spot mate.

Don't be too upset in a spot like this though.  I've called off plenty of worse hands in the past and im sure i'll make even worse calls in the future.  Still... it's only one tournament.  I hear the 20:05 calling.... ;)
  • edited May 2013
    Best of luck Waller, just one or two binks and you'll be back....

Hope it goes well!!
  • edited May 2013
    I don't play b/h mate but i'm sure GaryQQQ knows a thing or two about them,so i'd listen to him.
    as with dym's you can shove with just about any two cards but I can see you called the allin here,as Gary also says,is a mistake.
    playing a8 suited also will get you into trouble a lot of the time.
    the only time you feel really good with these type of hands is when you hit your flush,which just isn't often enough,so you really have to make a big effort and not play these type of hands,especially early doors when it is so easy to fold,and look for a better spot.
    it's only a small mistake but very costly long term.
    it's also very easy to put right though.that's the good news.

answer to q.1 no
    on that flop,given it's a paired board,was I right to call????  no
    gl buddy
    dev
  • edited May 2013
    Yeah.... I'm happy shoving a flush draw... not calling for one.  This way you know youre behind and have to hit. Without trying to sound patronising (i hope it doesn't as I know youre a decent player), the beginnings of an MTT are all about patience.  Forget about the hands, the oppositions etc.  The blinds are low and there is no need to commit youre stack at an early stage like this.  Wait for your moments, pick up chips when youre pretty sure you have the best hand.  Calls like this should only be occurring if youre desperately low on chips or when the blinds have increased substantially. The key I (try to) use when I play MTTs (relatively successfully) is never commit youre entire stack unless you either HAVE to or you have what you deem is the nuts.  You can easily survive on 2k chips for over an hour. 12 minutes in?  Got to pick a better spot mate. Don't be too upset in a spot like this though.  I've called off plenty of worse hands in the past and im sure i'll make even worse calls in the future.  Still... it's only one tournament.  I hear the 20:05 calling.... ;)
    Posted by gazza127
    Does not sound patronising at all........any advice is welcome mate, I need it atm especially from an mtt warrior like yourself.

I have been hearing the 20:05 calling since I knew I would be reloading..........lets hope I'm still in at 23:05, or at least last longer than 12 minutes, that would be progress!!
  • edited May 2013
    cheers Sjspanky.

Yeah dev, when gary gives his views on a hand then I can never really argue with it. The man destroys the small stakes BH's on a reg basis.

That's why I'm going to posting any hands/exit hands that I feel I may have played badly......my game is all over the place, not sure when or why it started but it needs to stop.

So any hands that I post that are poor......berate me, insult me, laugh at me....whatever, I need it (along with some advice obv!!). I'm thick skinned and I won't cry (much).

I need a kick up the rear end as much as anything!
  • edited May 2013
    cheers Sjspanky. Yeah dev, when gary gives his views on a hand then I can never really argue with it. The man destroys the small stakes BH's on a reg basis. That's why I'm going to posting any hands/exit hands that I feel I may have played badly......my game is all over the place, not sure when or why it started but it needs to stop. So any hands that I post that are poor......berate me, insult me, laugh at me....whatever, I need it (along with some advice obv!!). I'm thick skinned and I won't cry (much). I need a kick up the rear end as much as anything!
    Posted by waller02
    you have a good attitude mate,which is good and will help you through these not so good poker times for you at the moment.
    look at how my cash game was/still is  lol a few weeks ago even,and by posting hands up how much I've learnt.
    i'm sure it's pretty much the same for you mate, a few leaks have set in,may have always been there and just got worse.
    i'm sure by posting them up they will soon become very clear to you,and you can then set about correcting them.
    then i'm sure your b/roll will move upwards once again.
    gl buddy
    dev
  • edited May 2013
    Update so far............I am realising that I have more leaks than an apprentice plumber may come across throughout their entire training programme, apart from that I'm having fun.

The 20:05 BH that I had been eagerly anticipating was nothing short of a disaster........I won't post the hand as I already know it was a MASSIVE error on my part (hero calling with Ace high on a double paired board because I put the guy on a busted flush draw is never a good move.....like I said leaks!)

Still in a BH (1 head taken) and not in bad shape, need a result from this.

Also, played a £1 6 max stt and came 2nd to just about double my money. I think I need to stop multi tabling until I can afford it though.

BR tba after the remaining BH........(I need a BINK!)
  • edited May 2013
    Right, my nights poker is over.

I didn't cash in the BH. Here is the exit hand...........comments appreciated.

My thoughts......Should have shoved pre, maybe oppo folds?? As played, was never folding on the flop to one over so checked to induce a bluff with the intention of shoving, if he has the Jack then gg, we are 7 off the money here so I guess I didn't shove pre to give myself a chance to get away from a BAD flop........I got my chips in as a big fav but I guess it was still poor play on my part...........save the ballache and shove pre!!!!!

BR = £43.75

Lessons from tonight:

1. I am poor
    2. I'm going to stick with these low stakes BH's because I honestly feel like I can succeed (egg on my face right there).
    3. When I think about it I did have value for money as I was planning on playing £2 DYM's so in the grand scheme of things........it aint so bad!!!

Here is the hand (hangs head in shame)
    DUFC01 Small blind  200.00 200.00 14267.44
    mcgillyboo Big blind  400.00 600.00 29027.06
     Your hole cards

waller02 Raise  1000.00 1600.00 4498.50
    marsh07 Fold     
    Call  1000.00 2600.00 16487.52
    DUFC01 Fold     
    mcgillyboo Fold     
    Flop

• J

waller02 Check     
    Bet  2600.00 5200.00 13887.52
    waller02 All-in  4498.50 9698.50 0.00
    Call  1898.50 11597.00 11989.02
    waller02 Show

Show
    • A

Turn

• J

River

Win Full House, 5s and Jacks 11597.00  23586.02
  • edited May 2013
    Hi W
    Hope things are improving for you.
    Looking at the above, with just ~13bb's i think you've got to shove here to try to win 15% 0f your stack without seeing a flop. TBH  up to 15 BB's is shoveable imo. I cant see some stack sizes or the aggressiveness of the players which may have affected it in your mind but a min cash is not the way to go imo. FTW!!!
     I don't think the shove would have been called by A5s imo as you can see now your opponent has the stack to call and fish for a flush draw even tho a bit loose etc but with a MP shove he's got to be thinking of you having ak or mppr+ etc and have him dominated. Remember you can always suck out too. You are imperilling yourself by giving them the chance to seea flop. Try to put your opponents to the tough decision as its much easier to shove than call, isn't it?
    Aggression near the bubble will pay dividendes in the end, i feel. All the best.
  • edited May 2013

Pick your self up and get back in the chair... buying your tv is the right thing to ... well done  for stacking so much cash from 30 quid.

Its good to treat your self and your family from your winnings , now work on your confidance t his is the key to re-building your stack.

Play some smaller buy ins untill the feel good factor returns

hope all goes well keep posting your results.. all the best.

phil.

• edited May 2013

just seen a waller03 playing nl4...

any relation?  lol

(* *)
       ^
    dev

ps; nah,can't be...he's got £10.56 in front of him!!!

lol  sorry mate...couldn't resist it.
  • edited May 2013
    just seen a waller03 playing nl4... any relation?  lol (* *)    ^ dev ps; nah,can't be...he's got £10.56 in front of him!!! lol  sorry mate...couldn't resist it.
    Posted by devonfish5
    ha ha ha de ha!!!!

He is a decent player to be fair, been on the same table as him a few times.......I'm not even the best waller on the site, must run better!!

Just going to play the one BH today. Won't be playing tonight as I have got some mates coming round for an action packed night of football, boxing and BEEEEEEER!!!!!!