You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Story of a Broken Man (£50 or quits!!!)

Comments

• edited May 2013
    This - Start BR = £3.76

to

This - BR = £8.29

Hopefully when you wake up this morning (Hangover Cure in Hand:) you will be delighted with this session.

Well done - Keep it up.

• edited May 2013

well played mate,

more of the same today,

YOU CAN DO IT.

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited May 2013
    That dym hand should be a fold I would think

99 hand is fine imo
  • edited May 2013
    ty for the words of encouragement.

Yeah grantorino, dev explained to me why it should be a fold.......think hands like that were the reason I wasn't doing very well in the dyms.

Plan for today is prob some more HU, maybe some 4nl and some freerolls. I wish there were more mtts on here for a 1 quid BI........I miss mtts!!

First of all I need food then a SSS (****,shower,shave).......feeling rather delicate!
  • edited May 2013
    Think I am going to leave 4nl for a while..........lost a couple of big pots, also find it hard to play well knowing one bad hand could break me.

The HU is going quite well.....although not sure what a good ROI is for these???

So far today I have played 11..... W8 L3

So total HU since I started yesterday......Played 40....W26 L14. Is this an acceptable ROI or should I be looking to improve??

Due to a poor 4nl session I'm down slightly today.

BR = £6.68

Gonna chill and play the freeroll then play some more HU later. No more 4nl unless my BR improves
  • edited May 2013
    Hey Waller just scoped your roi for them 40 games is 23.8% which is really good probably quite a bit above what could be expected long term even at the micro stakes hu as far as i know 10-125 is considered really good at faster structured HU but best ask someone who knows more about this stuff lol. Good read btw maybe see you hu when you build up the roll.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (potentially the shortest diary in living memory):
    Hey Waller just scoped your roi for them 40 games is 23.8% which is really good probably quite a bit above what could be expected long term even at the micro stakes hu as far as i know 10-125 is considered really good at faster structured HU but best ask someone who knows more about this stuff lol. Good read btw maybe see you hu when you build up the roll.
    Posted by benc
    Ah right, ty. I don't expect to keep that win rate up then..as long as I don't drop below 10% I will be happy. The way I look at things is if my br is going up thats good and if it's not thats bad haha.

Two more things......

1. Yeah I hope I do build up the roll.
    2. If I do then I WILL NOT see you HU if I can help it..........I read your diary and can see that you are one to avoid!!

Keep up the good work with your diary.....I'm one of those who reads them but rarely posts
  • edited May 2013
    23.8% is sustainable against randoms in the £1.05s at standard speed, I was making about that while I was in them Feb/March. ROI will lower in faster games. Good luck.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (potentially the shortest diary in living memory):
    23.8% is sustainable against randoms in the £1.05s at standard speed, I was making about that while I was in them Feb/March. ROI will lower in faster games. Good luck.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    I'm playing the speed ones. 1500 and 5 min blinds so it will prob drop......I will go on a losing streak at sometime, just not until I can afford one I hope!!
  • edited May 2013
    Hi W for what it's worth in the dym the AJ with csi of 5 is a deffo call in my opinion. You will blind yourself out waiting in dym's otherwise. Remember you we're ahead going into the board. Why not give yourself a nice break for a month or so until you really fancy playing. 
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (potentially the shortest diary in living memory) : I'm playing the speed ones. 1500 and 5 min blinds so it will prob drop......I will go on a losing streak at sometime, just not until I can afford one I hope!!
    Posted by waller02
    You should do pretty well in those, structure is still pretty good. Avoid turbo/hyper for now. Fingers crossed you avoid a downswing at this crucial stage.

There are a few winning regs in those games, work out who they are asap then avoid them.
  • edited May 2013
    hi m8
    jst a quick note to say good luck
    nl4 can be very boring if you don't multi table - agree with you there
  • edited May 2013
    hi m8 jst a quick note to say good luck nl4 can be very boring if you don't multi table - agree with you there
    Posted by walesboy
    ty. yeah plus when the majority of my roll was on there it was really hard to play well......hence I didn't have one winning session lol
  • edited May 2013
    UPDATE.

Bit of a delay in the update as I haven't been on.

Have mainly been playing the £1HU still, although I have been playing the £1.10 DS and 4nl (which I will no longer be playing).

Saturday night was the last time I played, I found it really hard to get a winning streak going, was constantly W1 L1 etc......until around 9pm.  At this stage I think the alcohol must have taken hold of some players as I noticed some of the oppos play becoming crazier and I finally managed to win more than I was losing.

So, I ended the evening Played 38......W22 L16. Total so far for HU is P78 W48 L30

My BR could be better if I had lost at 4nl and the mtts that I am playing. I intend to keep playing the £1.10 DS though as it wont break the bank.....plus I enjoy it.

BR = £8.73

I won't be playing much (if at all) this week due to having a really busy week at work. However I am in the syndicate freeroll tonight so there is a chance of making some money there.
  • edited May 2013
    Ermmmm.......the syndicate freeroll was rather short. There were 2 players in the first few hands that were shoving/calling very loosely (I mean 10 8 loose!). Next hand one of them shoves (bearing in mind I still have  2k at 25/50) I have JJ and they way he had played the first few hands I figure ahh I'll take a gamble......he has AQ binks Q and I'm gone.

Thats me done for the week most likely tooooooo busy!

Run good all
  • edited May 2013

Well I'm back on the tables after a few days off due to a BUSY week at work!!

In fact I'm still very tired and wasn't really in the mood, which is why I'm stopping for the night. Gonna drink beer, chill and watch TV (seeing as I forked out for it!).

I played (if you can call it that) the £1.10 DS........a few hands in and I donked off 3/4 of my stack, not the best start but I managed to build it back up to an 11k stack with blinds at 150/300. Then I donked it off again, rusty and tired.....not a good combo! Must have played that tourney 5 times recently and not a sniff of a cash.

HU (£1 speed)..........played 10 matches tonight, again not really up for it but I did fair better in these winning 7 and losing 3. So thats a total of P88 W55 L33 since I started playing them, gonna stick with them for while. I quite enjoy them but they don't give me the same buzz as an MTT.......hoping to build up enough of a roll to start playing more of them.

BR = £11.13

Not sure how much I will be playing over the weekend but am def not playing next week as I am off work and going away.........much needed break from work and probs poker tbh.....OOOOOOOSH!

• edited May 2013
    Any car mechanics/enthusiasts who happen to read this.......Question.

How much can I expect to pay to have a fuel filter replaced?? I have bought the part and had a go myself, but without ramps I couldn't gain enough access to do it. I am going away on Monday afternoon so I need my local garage to do it as an emergency on monday morning......rough figure??

Pokerwise, I'm about to play some more HU as well as the £1.10 DS (need to finally cash in this!!!!). Will update later.
  • edited May 2013
    Tonight I have had my botty spanked to the point where if I wasn't metaphorically speaking I would not be able to sit down for a week!

The £1.10 DS went the usual way and the HU matches were frustratingly poor too. I can't put my finger on what went wrong tonight, there were a few players who were decent and deserved to win, fair play to them. But in others I felt I had a big edge.........however the edge means nothing if you get your chips in the middle as a big fav then get outdrawn.

I knew I was due a session like this but I guess I was hoping it would come when my roll could handle it better. Ah well, tis poker............In all honesty though, when I sit down and think about it I kick myself and I wonder how I ended up here. I used to think I was an ok player, I mean surely in the 3 years I have been playing it hasn't just been luck?? Can a poor player be lucky for 3 years?? Am I actually poo at poker and my luck has ran out??.......this all runs through my head....not good!

Anyway, tonight:

£1.10 DS .....same old story

HU: P28 W13 L15

Total: P116 W68 L48

BR: £6.63

SIGH!!!..............remember the good old days when poker seemed easy!! lol
  • edited May 2013
    Hi mate,

look what GaryQQQ is doing atm,...all from nothing.
    so i'm sure you can build your b/roll up again mate even from £6.

myself I would stick in another £30-£40 and build from there,with no pressure on me,playing dym's.
    £1 & £2 to start then £3 when b/roll gets to £100.

whatever you do,just think positive and play positive,easier said than done though,i know.
    you CAN do it.i know you can

gl mate
    :)
    dev
  • edited May 2013
    Tonight I have had my botty spanked to the point where if I wasn't metaphorically speaking I would not be able to sit down for a week! The £1.10 DS went the usual way and the HU matches were frustratingly poor too. I can't put my finger on what went wrong tonight, there were a few players who were decent and deserved to win, fair play to them. But in others I felt I had a big edge.........however the edge means nothing if you get your chips in the middle as a big fav then get outdrawn. I knew I was due a session like this but I guess I was hoping it would come when my roll could handle it better. Ah well, tis poker............In all honesty though, when I sit down and think about it I kick myself and I wonder how I ended up here. I used to think I was an ok player, I mean surely in the 3 years I gave been playing it hasn't just been luck?? Can a poor player be lucky for 3 years?? Am I actually poo at poker and my luck has ran out??.......this all runs through my head....not good! Anyway, tonight: £1.10 DS .....same old story HU: P28 W13 L15 Total: P116 W68 L48 BR: £6.63 SIGH!!!..............remember the good old days when poker seemed easy!! lol
    Posted by waller02
    Not really no. It was always going to be hard with about a tenner as your "bankroll" and it was going to potentiallly be the shorest diary in history, but it still going! With a tenner, it's not much of a start to allow you to build up a bankroll.

You have played for 3 years successfully and got a nice new tv!

The stuff you are talking about is variance, and we all feel like that when it's not going right. In fact its one of the most common comments on the thread, people being down about their lossess,

I think you started initially with very little and spun it up to a good amount? Why don't you just do the same, deposit 80-100 quid and start afresh. Clearly you are a good player, and in the grand scheme of things from what you have said you have not actually lost anything from poker given what you initially started with.

HU games can be very swingy, and despite our best play we are not always going to win these.

You are a good player, but playing with 5-10 pound in your account will not allow for optimum play.

Good luck
  • edited May 2013
    Hi mate, look what GaryQQQ is doing atm,...all from nothing. so i'm sure you can build your b/roll up again mate even from £6. myself I would stick in another £30-£40 and build from there,with no pressure on me,playing dym's. £1 & £2 to start then £3 when b/roll gets to £100. whatever you do,just think positive and play positive,easier said than done though,i know. you CAN do it.i know you can gl mate :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    Hi Dev, cheers for the post m8. I really don't wanna deposit, I know I prob should but I'm stubborn! As for the dyms, I just can't seem to beat them as I can't fold hands pre flop when I really should be doing (you saw for yourself when you gave me some advice).

I honestly feel I can beat these £1 HU games though and I hope get to around £30 mark and start playing some £2.30 BH's alongside these....thats the plan anyway!

Keep it going with your cash game m8, enjoying your diary.
  • edited May 2013
    Hey Waller, HU can drive you crazy/ make you question your ability so much even when i was crushing them i still questioned myself constantly. Whilst your bankroll is still at 6ish i would say stick purely to the normal structure and avoid the faster structure- even though speeds are not that different it still gives you that extra time to exert your edge against most of the opponents you will come up against.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (potentially the shortest diary in living memory) : Hi Dev, cheers for the post m8. I really don't wanna deposit, I know I prob should but I'm stubborn! As for the dyms, I just can't seem to beat them as I can't fold hands pre flop when I really should be doing (you saw for yourself when you gave me some advice). I honestly feel I can beat these £1 HU games though and I hope get to around £30 mark and start playing some £2.30 BH's alongside these....thats the plan anyway! Keep it going with your cash game m8, enjoying your diary.
    Posted by waller02
    yes mate,you gotta play the best game for you,and if you think that's h/u that's where you should play mate.
    I just think dym's are the best way to build as the variance is low,but then I would,as I've played so many,haven't I.  lol

if you can spin that £6 up great,if not put in £50 or so then when you get it up to £100 draw it out,as I did,then you are back playing with 'free money' and a good starting b/roll again.
    gl mate
    :)
    dev
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (potentially the shortest diary in living memory) : Not really no. It was always going to be hard with about a tenner as your "bankroll" and it was going to potentiallly be the shorest diary in history, but it still going! With a tenner, it's not much of a start to allow you to build up a bankroll. You have played for 3 years successfully and got a nice new tv! The stuff you are talking about is variance, and we all feel like that when it's not going right. In fact its one of the most common comments on the thread, people being down about their lossess, I think you started initially with very little and spun it up to a good amount? Why don't you just do the same, deposit 80-100 quid and start afresh. Clearly you are a good player, and in the grand scheme of things from what you have said you have not actually lost anything from poker given what you initially started with. HU games can be very swingy, and despite our best play we are not always going to win these. You are a good player, but playing with 5-10 pound in your account will not allow for optimum play. Good luck
    Posted by LARSON7
    Alright larson. I just don't wanna deposit until I have to. It would feel like admitting defeat lol..........it's just the way I am, hate losing, hate being wrong etc.....I will deposit but only when my account reads £0.00 and I have no C4P to come......foolish? maybe, but tbf I'm still enjoying playing, any money won was always a bonus (having said that, you can't beat the buzz of being in a big pot in a big tourney....but hopefully I'll get there again one day)
  • edited May 2013
    Hey Waller, HU can drive you crazy/ make you question your ability so much even when i was crushing them i still questioned myself constantly. Whilst your bankroll is still at 6ish i would say stick purely to the normal structure and avoid the faster structure- even though speeds are not that different it still gives you that extra time to exert your edge against most of the opponents you will come up against.
    Posted by benc
    I like the speed structure, any slower would bore me tbh and besides it's only an extra 2 min blinds. I feel the speed structure is good enough to be able to make any edge an effective one.....it was purely the run of the deck tonight............I'm gonna keep going, nobody can accuse me of going down without a fight haha
  • edited May 2013
     Yeah i completely understand i have pretty mucy always avoided the slower ones, it's just so easy to lose 6bi and do nothing wrong more so at the speeds i think, the extra 2 mins can make all the difference. Still its about enjoying playing and getting a buzz from effectively playing to keep your roll alive so at least it will be fun, just stick it on a 5,25 hu and let the forum sweat lol
  • edited May 2013
     Yeah i completely understand i have pretty mucy always avoided the slower ones, it's just so easy to lose 6bi and do nothing wrong more so at the speeds i think, the extra 2 mins can make all the difference. Still its about enjoying playing and getting a buzz from effectively playing to keep your roll alive so at least it will be fun, just stick it on a 5,25 hu and let the forum sweat lol
    Posted by benc
    have been tempted.......but not been drunk enough!
  • edited May 2013

IT HAS FINALLY HAPPENED!!!!.............I'm broke lol

Went on a bad run in the HU matches and could not recover :(

I am away all next week so won't be depositing until I get back. Prob will only be sticking £50 on but not 100% sure what games I will be playing.........keeping BRM in mind what does anybody suggest I play??

Will still be keeping this thread going to try and keep myself focussed (and so people can see just how BAD I have become......the idea is to improve but I have become worse, a lot worse!).

So, back next week £50 what do I play????

• edited May 2013
    You are an MTT player right?

The £1 deep stack games are pretty soft. Maybe a few £2 b/h 2

The £1, HU games with a 1500 starting stack, i think that's what you were playing?, will give you a good edge aswell. I just play the turbos, but theres a lot more play in the bigger stack 1s.

If you are going 2 play cash, 2 table 4nl, be patient, pick your spots, and bet your hands big.

You could also do a Garyqqq, and spin up your free points.

Good luck!
  • edited May 2013
    You are an MTT player right? The £1 deep stack games are pretty soft. Maybe a few £2 b/h 2 The £1, HU games with a 1500 starting stack, i think that's what you were playing?, will give you a good edge aswell. I just play the turbos, but theres a lot more play in the bigger stack 1s. If you are going 2 play cash, 2 table 4nl, be patient, pick your spots, and bet your hands big. You could also do a Garyqqq, and spin up your free points. Good luck!
    Posted by LARSON7
    I'm 0/6 in that deepy lol......I was thinking maybe 2-3 quid DYMs alongside some micro mtts. Will not be playing cash when I'm back next weekend as it's that promo so it will be reg central!!

Will prob continue with the HU too........this week off will do me good though, fresh start, pressure off. Should be easier to play with £50 rather than £5. If I blow the £50 I will seriously consider whether I want to ply poker anymore lol