You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

ONE TIME!.....another diary.

edited August 2014 in Poker Chat
Hello everyone

Iv decided to start a diary as im posting to much in the forum and clogging it up.  I want to do this diary so better players can see my way of thinking and correct me, as my poker isnt going as planned atm.  Also i will be posting hands to see what people think, and this way people might recognise some errors, etc. I will be posting my balance everytime i post.  I usally play 20 nl, but like i said things havnt been going my way so iv dropped down to 10nl.  I usally play 3 tables and nearly always play cash.

A brief paragraph about me personally.  Im 20, i live in london and my true passion is football....more to the point Tottenham Hotspurs.  Im a fitness instructor and my future ambitions are to become a personal trainer or possiable study sport science at uni.  I also plan on organising my own charity to help people with balance disorders as iv had some experience in this area myself.  My near future aim is to run the london marathon 2014 to raise money for a department at a hospital, but 4/5 hours of running will be a big ask!

Poker wise i played sky poker for a while, studied then played poekrstars where i had a great last summer at 50nl winning about 1.5k in dollars.  Started going downhill at christmas where i lost a big portion of that.  I then stopped playing to study the game more, join duecescracked and come back to sky where 20 nl went well first few weeks, and i come 11th in ukops main event, won the friday 3k rebuy, and finished fairly high in £33 BH (cant remmeber where, mayeb 16th).

Hope you enjoy reading !

Initial deposit 2 weeks ago was £400

Current Balance: £294.01

Comments

• edited May 2013
    gd luck be disciplined dont tilt and patience :) 

if u feel like ya tilting come of the tables 
  • edited May 2013
    No offense mate........but you seem to struggle at cash, you seem to tilt too easy to play cash. I can't play cash, had a go and failed.

On the flip side, you seem to be a very competent mtt player. You have had some great results. I have seen numerous people say the same thing to you..........PLAY MTT's. I have seen you mention the fact that you don't enjoy mtt's (by far the most fun format of the game IMO) but you crush them. If you don't enjoy winning money playing mtt's then what do you enjoy????

MTTS FTW!!!!!! Good luck whatever you decide though, hope you start to improve with your cash game if that's what you would really rather be playing.
  • edited May 2013
    hey robbie gl in your diary and mind don`t get put off playing cash dunno if i`ve said before but took me nearly a year to start showing profits each month at cash.

with your roll atm just play 10nl and if doing well just take a little punt at a £5/11 mtt or even have couple attempts of satellite into main events and hope to bink get a big score but 10nl if a good place to start imo.

also i`m at college atm also studying in health and fitness going into hnd health fitness exercise next year but I have similar career goals to work as fitness instructor or personal trainer so maybe can help and give me advice if needed in future.

but yeah gl at tables buddy.
  • edited May 2013
    yeah maybe ill have to convert to mtts, but if its not a main event i just dont find them exciting, i find beating a player at cash over a few hours of play is more of an achievemet.....bit strange i suppose.

Yeah liamboi ill try with satliettes its how i got in all the tourneys iv had good scores in, think the most iv everpayed to enter a tourney is £11.  Iv sat to all but primo, i want to play in that next.  Oh nice, how far along are you with all the studies? yeah ill definatly help just pm mate if you need help, the course i done by qualification with was very good and quick, they educate you well....lifetime fitness is the name.
  • edited May 2013
    "I want to do this diary so better players can see my way of thinking and correct me, as my poker isnt going as planned atm.  Also i will be posting hands to see what people think, and this way people might recognise some errors, etc"

Good reason to start a diary and to improve - GL with it
  • edited May 2013
    no idea what the hand is.  Just a lot of subscript...
  • edited May 2013
    Didnt put it alot of effort today, watched a duececracked video in morning, and read some of mental games 'hate losing' tilt section. Went to see family for most the day and enjoyed th sun. I played 3 tables of 10nl and played fairly good, didnt make a massive amount of mistakes and run bad again :( Just cannot buy a win atm confidence is sooo low, thought i finish session even but was actually £12 down which really suprised me. Im finding the 10nl tables abit odd atm, im playing tight aggresive, because post flop im not running bluffs and there is usually at least 4 people in each pot. ALSO, can anyone tell me howto spot my notes section on players not working, its not typing and earasing wwhat iv already wrote when i do type....

These was my main losing hands from the session, these are run bad arnt they ?

Im going to post my hands in individually as when i do it together it comes up as alot of transriptions, how do i solve this?
  • edited May 2013
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    aa622 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £4.15
    MrsCrossy Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £10.07
    legitliam Sit out     
     Your hole cards
    • J

tom_mcwate Fold     
    daragh1980 Raise  £0.30 £0.45 £10.70
    robbie1992 Call  £0.30 £0.75 £9.80
    aa622 Fold     
    MrsCrossy Fold     
    Flop

• J
    • Q

daragh1980 Check     
    robbie1992 Check     
    Turn

daragh1980 Bet  £0.75 £1.50 £9.95
    robbie1992 Call  £0.75 £2.25 £9.05
    River

daragh1980 Check     
    robbie1992 Bet  £1.13 £3.38 £7.92
    daragh1980 All-in  £9.95 £13.33 £0.00
    robbie1992 All-in  £7.92 £21.25 £0.00
    daragh1980 Unmatched bet  £0.90 £20.35 £0.90
    daragh1980 Show
    • K

robbie1992 Show
    • J

daragh1980 Win Straight to the King £18.95  £19.85
  • edited May 2013
    daragh1980 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £19.34
    matthew259 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £7.61
     Your hole cards
    • J
    • J

IGrindThis Raise  £0.20 £0.35 £4.81
    robbie1992 Raise  £0.60 £0.95 £10.32
    brazza007 Fold     
    watts899 Fold     
    daragh1980 Fold     
    matthew259 Fold     
    IGrindThis Call  £0.40 £1.35 £4.41
    Flop

• K

IGrindThis Bet  £0.30 £1.65 £4.11
    robbie1992 Call  £0.30 £1.95 £10.02
    Turn

IGrindThis Check     
    robbie1992 Check     
    River

• K

IGrindThis Bet  £1.95 £3.90 £2.16
    robbie1992 Call  £1.95 £5.85 £8.07
    IGrindThis Show

robbie1992 Muck
    • J
    • J

IGrindThis Win Straight to the 7 £5.41  £7.57
  • edited May 2013
    legitliam Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £7.23
    robbie1992 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £9.29
     Your hole cards
    • A
    • Q

DUDLYE888 Call  £0.10 £0.25 £10.59
    tom_mcwate Raise  £0.30 £0.55 £1.88
    daragh1980 Call  £0.30 £0.85 £12.46
    legitliam Fold     
    robbie1992 Call  £0.20 £1.05 £9.09
    DUDLYE888 Call  £0.20 £1.25 £10.39
    Flop

• Q

robbie1992 Check     
    DUDLYE888 Check     
    tom_mcwate Bet  £0.38 £1.63 £1.50
    daragh1980 Fold     
    robbie1992 Raise  £1.10 £2.73 £7.99
    DUDLYE888 Fold     
    tom_mcwate All-in  £1.50 £4.23 £0.00
    robbie1992 Call  £0.78 £5.01 £7.21
    robbie1992 Show
    • A
    • Q

tom_mcwate Show
    • K
    • K

Turn

River

tom_mcwate Win Pair of Kings £4.63  £4.63
  • edited May 2013
    It was because i was copying and pasting from the download and pasting on the webpage version.

Gonna play the primo mini because i havnt played a tourney in ages, its £5.50 which is prob too much considering my b/r but like i said i dont play often in tourneys.  Also abit dissapointed how the last few days have gone, i feel i deserve more to show for my play but oh well just gonna keep going.  Hopeing to play 5+ hours tommorow
  • edited May 2013
    Mini primo didnt go to plan, pretty much sums up my day and my poker lately.  Won a decent pot early on were i flopped 3 4 5 , with a2, against people with 55 and 45, so that got me 9th after about 40 mins.  Then i lost AK, when somone 3 bet from sb and i shoved and they had 44 -_-. I then had 2 interesting hands which i would like comments on, i really was abit lost when i was play on hand.

Poker overal isnt going amazing, now £125 down on my intial deposit and finding it very tough to have a winning day....my confidence is very low.  Funny enough i dont feel like quitting and running away like i usually do, im determined to keep going.  Hopefully ill be on the right end of some of these hands soon.  Gonna keep to TAG style at 10 nl , think its correct.  I think if im a few byins up i will bank the win for confidence.

Now to those hands.....
    robbie1992 Small blind  30.00 30.00 2954.00
    okkh Big blind  60.00 90.00 4437.00
     Your hole cards
    • J
    • J

Kaizen69 Fold     
    Ibroxkid Raise  180.00 270.00 4754.00
    nagor Fold     
    darsum333 Fold     
    robbie1992 Raise  480.00 750.00 2474.00
    okkh Fold     
    Ibroxkid Call  330.00 1080.00 4424.00
    Flop

• Q

robbie1992 Bet  420.00 1500.00 2054.00
    Ibroxkid All-in  4424.00 5924.00 0.00
    robbie1992 Fold     
    Ibroxkid Muck     
    Ibroxkid Win  1920.00  1920.00
    Ibroxkid Return  4004.00 0.00 5924.00
    Opponent been TAG, not played a massive amount of hands.

My thought process ...' I have jacks in sb oop, the person to my left is loose passive so he will want to get involved if i flat which i dont want.  I will 3bet so i have the leading strength and if he 4 bets im gonna be against a range that has me crush so i will fold and it will save me money if i have overpair vs overpair.  If TAG opponent flats i can win the pot with a cb on the flop most times as i dont think he will mess around.  Flop is fairly safe misses alotof his flatting range, i will bet small which will make me look strong as it looks for value, turn i c/f i think if he calls'
    Ibroxkid Small blind  30.00 30.00 6284.00
    nagor Big blind  60.00 90.00 2205.00
     Your hole cards
    • Q
    • J

darsum333 Fold     
    robbie1992 Raise  180.00 270.00 1874.00
    okkh Fold     
    Kaizen69 Fold     
    Ibroxkid Call  150.00 420.00 6134.00
    nagor Fold     
    Flop

• A

Ibroxkid Check     
    robbie1992 Bet  210.00 630.00 1664.00
    Ibroxkid Call  210.00 840.00 5924.00
    Turn

Ibroxkid Check     
    robbie1992 Bet  420.00 1260.00 1244.00
    Ibroxkid Call  420.00 1680.00 5504.00
    River

• K

Ibroxkid Check     
    robbie1992 Check     
    Ibroxkid Show
    • A

robbie1992 Muck
    • Q
    • J

Ibroxkid Win Pair of Aces 1680.00  7184.00
    Thought process,' i raise as table is tigh so i can be abit looser, TAG has flatted in sb which is abit weak so i rule our premium hands at this stage.  Flop is safe unconnecting so i cbet and can get alot to fold and frommy positions the ace hits my range, he calls which is fine as a barrell folds the pocket pairs that continued and maybe weak aces which makes sense as he flatted in sb.  He now calls and i think i have less then pot sized shove left, if he has called all the way to the river with sets/2pair/ weak ace/ underpair, he wont be folding now, so again its a check and give up'
    darsum333 Small blind  40.00 40.00 3080.00
    robbie1992 Big blind  80.00 120.00 1164.00
     Your hole cards
    • K

okkh Call  80.00 200.00 4057.00
    Kaizen69 Fold     
    Ibroxkid Fold     
    nagor Fold     
    darsum333 Fold     
    robbie1992 Check     
    Flop

• K

robbie1992 Check     
    okkh Bet  200.00 400.00 3857.00
    robbie1992 Call  200.00 600.00 964.00
    Turn

robbie1992 Check     
    okkh Bet  600.00 1200.00 3257.00
    robbie1992 All-in  964.00 2164.00 0.00
    okkh Call  364.00 2528.00 2893.00
    robbie1992 Show
    • K

okkh Show
    • A
    • A

River

• A

okkh Win Three Aces 2528.00  5421.00
    My bust hand, pretty standard with my stack i think and oponent was loose, why did i have to hit a king high board when my opponent has aces :(
  • edited May 2013
    Another rubbish day as per usual, played rubbish and hit nothing, as usual everyone hit everything against me, just the higher flush when i got there on the rivr and flopped straight against my tptk/oesd.  Im sick of this random game, im sick of being a fish at 10nl, thats pethatic. and i cant improve i cant do no more so forget this game, it never gives anything back to people that work hard at it, makes me sick that i lose at 10nl and i dont have good enough play to beat anyone there.

Dont even no why im writing in here no one ever replies its been a complete watse on time. 

I should of just quit weeks ago when i said and i should of quit earlier when i said im not good enough to earn any money back.  Cant remember the last time i had a winning day, aboulete joke, i worked hard and i really tried so why cant i just be a half decent player, fed up.  Withdrawig and taking he -150  and f k i n  off.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: ONE TIME!.....another diary.:
    Another rubbish day as per usual, played rubbish and hit nothing, as usual everyone hit everything against me, just the higher flush when i got there on the rivr and flopped straight against my tptk/oesd.  Im sick of this random game, im sick of being a fish at 10nl, thats pethatic. and i cant improve i cant do no more so forget this game, it never gives anything back to people that work hard at it, makes me sick that i lose at 10nl and i dont have good enough play to beat anyone there. Dont even no why im writing in here no one ever replies its been a complete watse on time.  I should of just quit weeks ago when i said and i should of quit earlier when i said im not good enough to earn any money back.  Cant remember the last time i had a winning day, aboulete joke, i worked hard and i really tried so why cant i just be a half decent player, fed up.  Withdrawig and taking he -150  and f k i n  off.
    Posted by robbie1992

my advice is dont play poker if you feel like that, it's meant to be fun. If you feel you have the potential to become a very good player then take a long break, and when you have a real desire to play poker then come back

Gl in the future
  • edited May 2013
    I read.

My post is the same as last time......you haven't got the mindset for cash imo. Play small stakes mtt's and fall in love with the game again.

Chin up m8
  • edited May 2013
    poker never gives nothing back to the players, everyone that i see on the sight stay where they are no one steps up.

But sky dont get enough people to only play mtts
  • edited May 2013

I don't know what else to say then.

Plenty have stepped up on here..........look at the likes of scotty77 for example, plus more recently lambert and rancid.

I think you need a break though. I get the feeling that you wanna step up asap and only get a buzz from poker when the stakes are high and you can win big money??? To get to the high stakes of poker takes a lot of time and effort......otherwise everyone would be playing there.

I just feel the best way to get confidence and enjoyment back would be to play small stakes mtt's or take a break

• edited May 2013
    Yep- same as above was reading, lambert180s diary is evidence that is can be done, he certainly wasn't playing nl30 this time last year if you go and look at his diary. You obviously have majort issues with dealing with variance, if it affects your mood in your normal day to day life then just stop take a long break come back when you get the urge and play to enjoy- you can't make conclusions about not being able to beat nl10 after less than a week and a few bad beats/coolers.
  • edited May 2013
    challenge yourself
    two weeks
    NO poker
  • edited May 2013
    it will teach you a lot
  • edited May 2013
    no its nothing to do with varience i get that its just my actually ability level is rubbish, i dont make the correct actions and the correct time, just wanna be a decent reg, even if it is at 10 nl .

Yeah see lambert and rancid are good players and they know they have the right idea withpoker and make decent decisions. Just fed up of always being wrong or not knowing what to do, theres no point in a break ill just come back the exact same and go round in a circle.

Might try sat into a few tourneys and play a few minis until its at £200 then withdraw it.
  • edited May 2013
    The problem a lot of footballers have is that they think too big: They play a game thinking "Win here and we might win the league/cup." and that affects them on the pitch. They get a chance in front of goal and the pressure they've put on themselves and the nerves and anxiety about what the goal might mean causes them to make a mess of it. They miss an easy finish all because they're thinking about the significance of the moment in the context of things they have no control over.

In reality, all a footballer should be thinking about is how to make the next pass the best pass they can play; how to make the next run the best run they can make, etc. That's all they can affect. One player playing for Liverpool can't decide whether his teammates make a mistake or if Man City score a goal in another game. One player can't change anything other than his next pass/tackle/run. If they adopt that attitude, they won't get nervous or anxious when they're faced with an opportunity to score because it's just a matter of kicking the ball. If they aren't thinking of it as particularly significant, it's just doing something they've done a thousand times before.

That's a very long winded way of saying that you need to get back to basics. Stop thinking "Why can't I beat NL10?" and start thinking "Was that last decision a good decision?". As long as you're looking at your bankroll you're going to be chasing your losses. That will force you into making mistakes just as surely as it forced Gareth Southgate, Stuart Pearce, Chris Waddle and all the others into making a complete h*sh of their penalty kicks which LET THEIR COUNTRY DOWN AND MADE ME CRY WHEN I WAS JUST A LITTLE BOY!!!

Sorry, went off on one there...

Anyway, I think you should step right down to NL4 for a short while where the money is less likely to have an affect on you. At that level it's really quite easy to determine whether you're making good decisions, too, because there aren't that many players who ever really get out of line or "outplay" you. Alternatively - and this is the option I'd suggest - mix in a few regular SNG's into your play. They're low variance but confidence building. You'll win a fair few and winning, even if it's only a six player field, soon increases your enjoyment of the game. Your liability is also limited in these so you don't need to worry about accidentally losing half of your roll. Maybe start your sessions with an hour of sit and go's before moving to the cash tables.

Don't expect to win when you start a session, just go into it expecting to make good decisions or at least to be critical enough to know when you've made a bad decision and think about how to correct it. Expecting to win will leave you feeling pretty terrible when you don't and nobody wins all the time.

Last thing to say is that you are good at posting hands in the clinic but you're not so good at commenting on other hands. If you spend the next six months explaining, in detail, your thoughts on other peoples' play and then responding to any criticisms of your thoughts, you will become a better player. By defending your own ideas you will find that you strengthen your good habits and eradicate your bad ones. It's so much better than watching videos or just listening to the TV but it does take more effort and patience.

The only problem some people have with posting their thoughts is that they put their ego into their ideas and they don't like having their ego bruised. If you want to improve at the game you've got to get rid of that ego and accept that being told you're wrong isn't the same as being told you're stupid. If someone thinks you're wrong, vigorously defend your opinion but be willing to be convinced by their arguments.

Those are the only things I can think to suggest.
  • edited May 2013
    The problem a lot of footballers have is that they think too big: They play a game thinking "Win here and we might win the league/cup." and that affects them on the pitch. They get a chance in front of goal and the pressure they've put on themselves and the nerves and anxiety about what the goal might mean causes them to make a mess of it. They miss an easy finish all because they're thinking about the significance of the moment in the context of things they have no control over. In reality, all a footballer should be thinking about is how to make the next pass the best pass they can play; how to make the next run the best run they can make, etc. That's all they can affect. One player playing for Liverpool can't decide whether his teammates make a mistake or if Man City score a goal in another game. One player can't change anything other than his next pass/tackle/run. If they adopt that attitude, they won't get nervous or anxious when they're faced with an opportunity to score because it's just a matter of kicking the ball. If they aren't thinking of it as particularly significant, it's just doing something they've done a thousand times before. That's a very long winded way of saying that you need to get back to basics. Stop thinking "Why can't I beat NL10?" and start thinking "Was that last decision a good decision?". As long as you're looking at your bankroll you're going to be chasing your losses. That will force you into making mistakes just as surely as it forced Gareth Southgate, Stuart Pearce, Chris Waddle and all the others into making a complete h*sh of their penalty kicks which LET THEIR COUNTRY DOWN AND MADE ME CRY WHEN I WAS JUST A LITTLE BOY!!! Sorry, went off on one there... Anyway, I think you should step right down to NL4 for a short while where the money is less likely to have an affect on you. At that level it's really quite easy to determine whether you're making good decisions, too, because there aren't that many players who ever really get out of line or "outplay" you. Alternatively - and this is the option I'd suggest - mix in a few regular SNG's into your play. They're low variance but confidence building. You'll win a fair few and winning, even if it's only a six player field, soon increases your enjoyment of the game. Your liability is also limited in these so you don't need to worry about accidentally losing half of your roll. Maybe start your sessions with an hour of sit and go's before moving to the cash tables. Don't expect to win when you start a session, just go into it expecting to make good decisions or at least to be critical enough to know when you've made a bad decision and think about how to correct it. Expecting to win will leave you feeling pretty terrible when you don't and nobody wins all the time. Last thing to say is that you are good at posting hands in the clinic but you're not so good at commenting on other hands. If you spend the next six months explaining, in detail , your thoughts on other peoples' play and then responding to any criticisms of your thoughts , you will become a better player. By defending your own ideas you will find that you strengthen your good habits and eradicate your bad ones. It's so much better than watching videos or just listening to the TV but it does take more effort and patience. The only problem some people have with posting their thoughts is that they put their ego into their ideas and they don't like having their ego bruised. If you want to improve at the game you've got to get rid of that ego and accept that being told you're wrong isn't the same as being told you're stupid. If someone thinks you're wrong, vigorously defend your opinion but be willing to be convinced by their arguments . Those are the only things I can think to suggest.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Brilliant reply as always.

haha yeah but didnt he get a pizza hut advert out of that.... got to stick a bag over his head in the advert. classy fella. least u got to see a penalty shoot out that gets you excitied, all i seen is england lose in every quarter final, thats the futhest iv see them get, and i support tottenham so havnt had a heap of joy there either lol least we got gareth bale....he makes everything better.....

anyway i might try the sng thing, i really dont wanna give up but i dont wanna be stupid and continue playing when im a losing player atm.  dropping to 10 nl has helped but i still dont feel good somtimeswith my overally play, i struggle to get the response i want when i act.  Also trust me my ego isnt big i post hands to take on advice from others, i do listen to them otherwise i wouldnt bother posting and reply.  I dont post on oters because im no confident in my skills atm i do look at theres though.  How long should my sessions be to fully get into it because if i loose 2 byins or somthing early on i think session is over cant mke profit not wasting my time, this is wrong isnt it as i dont see long term how im playing. how long would u say?
  • edited May 2013
    cardcrash Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £23.17
    durie Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £15.20
     Your hole cards

Tish999 Fold     
    supercrazy Fold     
    Rumpy Fold     
    robbie1992 Raise  £0.30 £0.45 £18.83
    cardcrash Fold     
    durie Raise  £1.00 £1.45 £14.20
    robbie1992 Call  £0.80 £2.25 £18.03
    Flop

• Q
    • J

durie All-in  £14.20 £16.45 £0.00
    robbie1992 Call  £14.20 £30.65 £3.83
    durie Show
    • Q
    • Q

robbie1992 Show

Turn

River

durie Win Straight to the Queen £14.63  £14.63
    robbie1992 Win Straight to the Queen £14.62  £18.45
    Also whats your thoughts on this hand? possiably have 15 outs if he has a set, so around 56% to hit? and im getting even money so its slightly +ev to call?
  • edited May 2013
    also played for 45 mins and come out with a whole £14 proft!! although i was playing 2 tables of masers cash with full £20 stack and 1 table of 10 nl.  I was more up but wanted to bank the win for confidence.  still down on the day but at least iv had a winning session.

current b/r: £267.93 

on day: -£7

on initial deposit: -£132.08
  • edited May 2013

The JT v KT hand:

Calling with JTs on the button is fine pre-flop. Checking the flop with second pair is also fine.

On the turn, we should be raising. We have the second nuts on the wettest board you're ever likely to see and there's only 15BB in the pot when we're facing this action. We should be thinking that there are lots of two-pair or top pairs that our opponent can call a raise with and also lots of draws that i) our opponent can be holding which we can get value from and ii) our opponent can put us on, so he can pay us off.

If our opponent wants to get it in on the turn he's probably doing it with a wider range than on the river for those reasons: he can have a draw himself or he can think that we're on the draw. By the river, neither of us can be on the draw so if the money goes in, we both must have a made hand. If he just calls a raise on the turn, our river value bet is larger too.

The JJ v 45 hand: I'd probably play the same way. No worries here, in my opinion. Just take a note about his check on the turn after making the nuts.

The AQ v KK hand: I think you need to explain why you're check-raising the flop. What were your thoughts there?

The QJ v A8 hand: I think you should just give up after your c-bet on the flop. It's not that wet a flop but it is Ace-high in a 3-bet pot. If he's in the hand with a small pocket pair he doesn't call the flop unless that pair was 55 or 66 and if he's called a pre-flop 3-bet with an Ace, he's unlikely to fold at any stage. Save the 420 chips by not betting the turn. (Just realised this wasn't a 3-bet pot. The ideas are still the same, I think.)

The K9 v AA hand: Think about shoving over the limp pre-flop unless you've never seen this guy limp before. K9 is generally well ahead of the limpers range and there's a huge (relative to your stack) amount of chips in the middle in dead money.

Once you've checked, with your stack it's a cooler and you played it fine post-flop.

I don't very often look at anyone's diary but I hope some of this will help. Keep posting in the clinic.

• edited May 2013
    A lot more posts appeared...

Regarding the length of sessions I'm definitely not the best person to ask. I am very strict on not really caring how long I play or how much I lose. The one occasion recently when I did decide to play high volume was the Kings of Cash promotion which I was third or fourth in after two or three days. Six tabling, playing super-laggy for 6 hours a day nearly killed me. I had to give up after the third day feeling pretty exhausted. I am definitely not the person to be giving advice on that.

That hand's an interesting one. As it happens, against his hand we're a 43% underdog. That's because while we can hit our flush or straight, he can still hit his full house. You'd have to put his range into pokerstove to get an answer, I think. His overshove, while terrible, does make it really tricky because it makes your pot odds so bad.
  • edited May 2013
    also played for 45 mins and come out with a whole £14 proft!! although i was playing 2 tables of masers cash with full £20 stack and 1 table of 10 nl.  I was more up but wanted to bank the win for confidence.  still down on the day but at least iv had a winning session. current b/r: £267.93  on day: -£7 on initial deposit: -£132.08
    Posted by robbie1992
    Well played, nice profit for 45mins at 10nl. Banking the win can be a good idea when things havn't been going well/ confidence is low- i've done it myself before, but you really want to be trying to extend sessions where things are going well rather than cutting them short as in my experience 1 very good session can wipe out 4-5 horrible sessions in terms of profit/loss.

Also just a little tip i'd try to ignore the negative figures above about how much your down from initial deposit and avoid posting them , it's never nice looking at negative figures and you can't help but think about chasing losses- again just speaking from personal experience where i have had to look at negative figures. Just advice though as i can empathize with alot of your posts from when i started writing my diary- btw if your interested in june i don't mind doing a couple of sweat sessions- looking at h-hs just generally discussing stuff via messenger on fb- skype etc and also don't worry about the fact people don't reply often lots of people just lurk on the forums reading the diaries and not commenting.
  • edited May 2013
    The JT v KT hand: Calling with JTs on the button is fine pre-flop. Checking the flop with second pair is also fine. On the turn, we should be raising. We have the second nuts on the wettest board you're ever likely to see and there's only 15BB in the pot when we're facing this action. We should be thinking that there are lots of two-pair or top pairs that our opponent can call a raise with and also lots of draws that i) our opponent can be holding which we can get value from and ii) our opponent can put us on, so he can pay us off. If our opponent wants to get it in on the turn he's probably doing it with a wider range than on the river for those reasons: he can have a draw himself or he can think that we're on the draw. By the river, neither of us can be on the draw so if the money goes in, we both must have a made hand. If he just calls a raise on the turn, our river value bet is larger too. The JJ v 45 hand: I'd probably play the same way. No worries here, in my opinion. Just take a note about his check on the turn after making the nuts. The AQ v KK hand: I think you need to explain why you're check-raising the flop. What were your thoughts there? The QJ v A8 hand: I think you should just give up after your c-bet on the flop. It's not that wet a flop but it is Ace-high in a 3-bet pot. If he's in the hand with a small pocket pair he doesn't call the flop unless that pair was 55 or 66 and if he's called a pre-flop 3-bet with an Ace, he's unlikely to fold at any stage. Save the 420 chips by not betting the turn. (Just realised this wasn't a 3-bet pot. The ideas are still the same, I think.) The K9 v AA hand: Think about shoving over the limp pre-flop unless you've never seen this guy limp before. K9 is generally well ahead of the limpers range and there's a huge (relative to your stack) amount of chips in the middle in dead money. Once you've checked, with your stack it's a cooler and you played it fine post-flop. I don't very often look at anyone's diary but I hope some of this will help. Keep posting in the clinic.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Thanks boring ill take your comments on board, i agee with th j10 that i should of raised, dont think i did because opponent is laggy and i thought it would turn my hand face up......but if he has flush draw/sets then he would still proberly call to try and hit on the river, especially if his consider the implied odds if i have n fact already hit the straight.

With the AQ i done it because i wanted to balance my range, i will want to do this with draws and somtimes even bluffs and i knew this hand was going to showdown because the stack of villian, so i wanted everyone to see i can do it with a made hand.....so in future i can do it with air against an aggresive constant cb.

With the 1010 hand, I was really suprised to see QQ, i was thnking maybe ak with a diamond.  Think i got lucky to hit the 8 then unlucky to hit the 10 seeing as i have 2 off them lol iwould enjoy the kings of cash promo to keep going, obv i cant win it playing 3 tables but to aim for top 10 or somthing simular would be a good incentive to keep me playing for longer.  What was ur end result in term of profit/loss for such a long input of play?
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: ONE TIME!.....another diary. : Well played, nice profit for 45mins at 10nl. Banking the win can be a good idea when things havn't been going well/ confidence is low- i've done it myself before, but you really want to be trying to extend sessions where things are going well rather than cutting them short as in my experience 1 very good session can wipe out 4-5 horrible sessions in terms of profit/loss. Also just a little tip i'd try to ignore the negative figures above about how much your down from initial deposit and avoid posting them , it's never nice looking at negative figures and you can't help but think about chasing losses- again just speaking from personal experience where i have had to look at negative figures. Just advice though as i can empathize with alot of your posts from when i started writing my diary- btw if your interested in june i don't mind doing a couple of sweat sessions- looking at h-hs just generally discussing stuff via messenger on fb- skype etc and also don't worry about the fact people don't reply often lots of people just lurk on the forums reading the diaries and not commenting.
    Posted by benc
    Yeah i know but just wanted to just get a winning session atm, was forgetting how it felt :P im still making mistakes aswell which is annoying so playing for longer atm im not fully confident in doing.  Okay i try not to concentrate on it but thought it would be good to write for the people reading my diary to see, i dont set money targets etc, because what your in profit/loss doesnt always reflect how well you are playing.  Thats sounds brilliant id definatly be interested in doing that, i have msn and skype so just give me a PM when your interested in doing it and were sort it.  I was thinking to organise somthing like that on sky, it will be a massive help to look at each others hand historys