You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

ONE TIME!.....another diary.

Comments

• edited May 2013

Hi,

These diaries are all the same, completely revolves around how much is my BR and how much have I won or lost. This will totally undermine your confidence or impact as positive tilt when you win. You should not set your goals relating to your BR, because it will fluctuate in the short term. You need to ensure long term it will grow. The way you do this is by making the correct decisions at the table.

That means being highly critical of yourself and improving your game.

If you know you played 10 hands and you got the money in good but you still lost all 10 come showdown then this is still +EV. Even though in the short term you’re down 10 buy ins. The negative impact this would have on your game right now would be immense. Imagine losing 10 buy ins’s, well I got news for you – it don’t matter how good you think you are – it does happen!

Stop concentrating on the BR and have a long-term goal but focus on sustainable short-term goals.

Long-term goal: want to play nl10 regular and be a winner

Short-term goal: reduce tilt, improve positional hand selection

Poker is such a mental game, and this is the main reason why people fail.

Do not expect to win, because you will lose at least some of the time and when you lose more your setting yourself up for feeling like you have failed.

People that believe they are above nl4 for example and expect to win.

When they lose they feel they have failed!

“O no my BR has gone down!!!!! What am I going to do!!”?

STOP LOOKING AT YOUR BR AS A MEASURE OF COMPETANCE

Stop focusing on your BR and focus on every decision and emotion.

If you want to improve, and then do it bite size.

Where it is going wrong and let’s improve that.

Think of poker as a cake and take a slice and try and improve it until your happy.

Strip your game back and pretend you know nothing and start again.

You may have just developed bad habits.

Remeber a BR is money we play with as a buffer to handle varaince - does not guarentee we win

Good poker decisions win

GOOD LUCK

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: ONE TIME!.....another diary.:
    Hi,     These diaries are all the same, completely revolves around how much is my BR and how much have I won or lost. This will totally undermine your confidence or impact as positive tilt when you win. You should not set your goals relating to your BR, because it will fluctuate in the short term. You need to ensure long term it will grow. The way you do this is by making the correct decisions at the table. That means being highly critical of yourself and improving your game. If you know you played 10 hands and you got the money in good but you still lost all 10 come showdown then this is still +EV. Even though in the short term you’re down 10 buy ins. The negative impact this would have on your game right now would be immense. Imagine losing 10 buy ins’s, well I got news for you – it don’t matter how good you think you are – it does happen!     Stop concentrating on the BR and have a long-term goal but focus on sustainable short-term goals.   Long-term goal: want to play nl10 regular and be a winner Short-term goal: reduce tilt, improve positional hand selection   Poker is such a mental game, and this is the main reason why people fail.   Do not expect to win , because you will lose at least some of the time and when you lose more your setting yourself up for feeling like you have failed. People that believe they are above nl4 for example and expect to win. When they lose they feel they have failed! “O no my BR has gone down!!!!! What am I going to do!!”?   STOP LOOKING AT YOUR BR AS A MEASURE OF COMPETANCE     Stop focusing on your BR and focus on every decision and emotion.   If you want to improve, and then do it bite size. Where it is going wrong and let’s improve that. Think of poker as a cake and take a slice and try and improve it until your happy.   Strip your game back and pretend you know nothing and start again. You may have just developed bad habits.     Remeber a BR is money we play with as a buffer to handle varaince - does not guarentee we win Good poker decisions win GOOD LUCK  
    Posted by rancid
    Very good advice.

I suggest reading "the mental game of poker" this seems to back up and go into more detail of what rancid has just wrote and hopefully will help you.
  • edited May 2013
    Thanks Rancid, i dont think im better then what i am though i understand that im struggling with my poker decesions atm but im happy i havnt abandoned my BR and im working hard to improve it and my overall game.  Not sure what short term targets i got, maybe o just put some proper hours into grinding i think.  I just read the promo for bank holiday thread and its impressive the amount of effort those guys are putting in, its somthing i definatly want to improve on.

I have read the mental game of poker big hawk, it is good but i need to keep going over it constantly otherwise i got back to bad habbits, i need to improve when im losing tho, if i lose a byin i feel myself go down like when i see tottenham concede a goal lol and thats not good, i need stabe confidence....somthing they touch on in that book.

The best quote that helps me is ' think of the money youve lost as an investment in your edge long term, as long as you keep making good plays, the investment will be worth it'.
  • edited May 2013
    absoultely disgusting session AGAIN!!!! so annoyed that i cant hit anything, i cant hit one hand i actually want , why dont i ever hit anything??

cant even be bothered to go on with the nonsense poker talk, i listen to that rubbish everyday and still got crushed at 10 nl haha im so bad.

lost yesetdays profits...im not allowed to win for to long!  and i won an all in today and stay ended up £20 done, i atually do so well to lose as much as i do really considering the stakes im playing.

blance is a whopping: £249

today : -20

keeping up a good average of losing about 2 byins a session and i didnt even play too long today so i had to work hard to do that, it was tough.  Hoping to maybe lose 4 byins later just gotta hope i keep running bad, fingers crossed.  Also punched a wall and hurt my hand so it might be extra tough to play.
  • edited May 2013
    robbie

i do think you need to take a break, you will not play your best when taking the sessions so personally

i've just had Aces full cracked by quads - next hand please - you have to be able to get into that frame of mind, and i'm not sure you can manage that at the moment without a break from the tables

• edited May 2013
    absoultely disgusting session AGAIN!!!! so annoyed that i cant hit anything, i cant hit one hand i actually want , why dont i ever hit anything?? cant even be bothered to go on with the nonsense poker talk, i listen to that rubbish everyday and still got crushed at 10 nl haha im so bad. lost yesetdays profits...im not allowed to win for to long!  and i won an all in today and stay ended up £20 done, i atually do so well to lose as much as i do really considering the stakes im playing. blance is a whopping: £249 today : -20 keeping up a good average of losing about 2 byins a session and i didnt even play too long today so i had to work hard to do that, it was tough.  Hoping to maybe lose 4 byins later just gotta hope i keep running bad, fingers crossed.  Also punched a wall and hurt my hand so it might be extra tough to play.
    Posted by robbie1992
    punching walls over a game of poker = HAVE A BREAK
  • edited May 2013
    A break would make no difference at all for me, u can't take a break everytime u play rubbish, I have more breaks then I do playing time. 

Why should u care u no that ur a good player who will make the rite decisions.
  • edited May 2013
    A break would make no difference at all for me, u can't take a break everytime u play rubbish, I have more breaks then I do playing time.  Why should u care u no that ur a good player who will make the rite decisions.
    Posted by robbie1992
    i care because i play on sky because of the community
    as for being good - tyvm - i am an improving player - but i have to question my plays every day - it's not easy this game. i just needlessly called a big aipf by the don because two heads were on offer with my big chiplead and AK. he had AA and now i'm a small stack. not sure it was the right play but will need to think about it later.

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: ONE TIME!.....another diary. : i care because i play on sky because of the community as for being good - tyvm - i am an improving player - but i have to question my plays every day - it's not easy this game. i just needlessly called a big aipf by the don because two heads were on offer with my big chiplead and AK. he had AA and now i'm a small stack. not sure it was the right play but will need to think about it later.
    Posted by GELDY
    I'm going backwards and don't no how to stop it, maybe a day with duecescracked. It's so disheartens tho I want this so much but I just can't seem to crack it.

Hmmm tough but with 2 heads and u got ak so prob not a mistake. Ak isn't a nice hand all in pre tho IMO, Iv seen the odds against different styles ranges and they not impressive

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: ONE TIME!.....another diary. : I'm going backwards and don't no how to stop it, maybe a day with duecescracked. It's so disheartens tho I want this so much but I just can't seem to crack it. Hmmm tough but with 2 heads and u got ak so prob not a mistake. Ak isn't a nice hand all in pre tho IMO, Iv seen the odds against different styles ranges and they not impressive
    Posted by robbie1992

want it so much - that I fear is what is undermining your potential and hence my suggestion to take time out to chill
    AK - yeah I've seen your posts in the clinic - mathematically maybe right - but from a tourney perspective an unneccessary time to take a flip

• edited May 2013
    watch alot of poker on you-tube   get on training sites watch 861   

loads of info out there for u 

• edited May 2013
    you need to total break from the game for a sustained period to clear your head.

i think theres a lot of past occurences is weighing heavily on your mind, i know your eager to llearn and progress but maybe you just want it too much or too quickly and this combined with other things may be holding you back. you do sound as tho your on perma tilt atm as well which is never a good thing.

sometimes we need to step back to go forward.

good luck what ever you decide to do next
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: ONE TIME!.....another diary. : want it so much - that I fear is what is undermining your potential and hence my suggestion to take time out to chill AK - yeah I've seen your posts in the clinic - mathematically maybe right - but from a tourney perspective an unneccessary time to take a flip
    Posted by GELDY

Yeah try at certain times I. Tourneys you need to think weather it's essential to get in these situations, did u go out in the end ?
  • edited May 2013
    Yeah buts whats the point I'm just running away from my problems I need to attack them and try and solve them, I might message the live show tonight see what they say
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: ONE TIME!.....another diary. : Yeah try at certain times I. Tourneys you need to think weather it's essential to get in these situations, did u go out in the end ?
    Posted by robbie1992
    came 2nd to the Don - ty for asking - final hand similar stacks - had him dominated aipf - he hits his kicker. it's a vicious game at times

speed BH
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: ONE TIME!.....another diary. : came 2nd to the Don - ty for asking - final hand similar stacks - had him dominated aipf - he hits his kicker. it's a vicious game at times
    Posted by GELDY
    cruel game, at least u recovered from being the short stack, what was it a normal tourney or a sat?
  • edited May 2013
    Played a few sataliettes to try and get in a tourney in total they come to £8, usual stuff done on river bubbled and was ahead when the money went in and got sucked out on.  Maybe i have to wait abit longer for a break or a bit of luck.

Feel terriable about poker might even have tommorow off, so fed up.  judging my the way things are going it would only be another losing day and im getting bored of moaning about it and your prob bored of reading abit it, gonna chill and watch the biggest load of nonsense i can find on tv, prob b shameless or the valleys!

Current b/r: £240

Profit/loss on day: -£28

I think the pulling out point is £200 , no point keep losing everyday waste of money, so i got £40 left.
  • edited May 2013
    I can see a lot of my old (and sometimes current) self in these posts. There have been a ton of times when my diary has come across like this has so far.... maybe without the wall punching lol.

Just pure frustration, feel like nothing's going your way, on the verge of giving up. Someone actually reminded me the other day on my diary that it was only a few months ago that I had like £150 and had posted up saying I was on the verge of just quitting poker for good. I love the game, but like you, my main motivation is to make money so when you can see that not happening in the short term it can be disheartening.

It's clear that your confidence is low and your mood is massively orientated around your £££ results - Again, I was the same, if I win I'm in a great mood till my next session, if I lose I'm in a rubbish mood till the next session and just SO focussed on 'next session I'm gonna win it all back!'. There's been some great advice given in this thread so far, try not to ignore it. In fact a lot of the advice given, has been given to me at some point in my diary too, specifically the great input from Rancid.

I'm guilty more than anyone of sometimes getting too focussed on winning in every session just so I can post up a win in the diary, and having a diary in the first place does probably promote that attitude a little if you're competetive, determined to impress etc etc.

Like people have said, just go back to basics. All these training sites are great, but you simply don't NEED them to beat the low stakes on here. I'm not saying they're bad for you, but that time could be spent doing something more productive, like just spending some time chilling out doing something other than poker so you're not so burn out ALL the time cos all you ever do is think poker.

Speak to any of the 'pros' on this site and they will tell you, to be a winning player you don't have to devote every minute of every day.
  • edited May 2013

cheers for that lambert.

Wow im suprised you had moments like this you seem quiete consistant with you brm and yourplay.  Havnt had a chance to look at your diary yet but definatly will.  Its true that a good/bad session changes your mood, and i dont think i like that its not good really to have yur mood based on a poker game.

Yes its not just the money, obv i want to win more money, but if i had a million in my account and was losing at 10nl it would still make me feel the same, i just dont like losing when were all competing, but my main worry is my actually strategy, i found 10nl really hard, theres so many players to pot that its hardto win a hand if you dont hit, there also fairly aggresive, i thought it would be the opposite.  So im sat there like a TAG when i wanna play abit more, and then ill get a good hand completely miss the flop and thy bet, aand i dont wanna float or bluff against such loose players so im c/f alot....thats when i thought punching the wall was worth it :(

Getting great help though from the community on here, no one has told me to shut up moaning yet which is nice.  Got a few pms aswell.  So i think ill look over some hands tommorrow, watch some videos and read abit more sections of the mnetal game of poker.

Might also see if anyone interested in playing and having me in an msn convo and telling me what they have./why there doing there action/ what they wanna achieve from the hand/why they are or are not playing a certain hand etc. just gotta find somone whos interested.

• edited May 2013
    cheers for that lambert. Wow im suprised you had moments like this you seem quiete consistant with you brm and yourplay.  Havnt had a chance to look at your diary yet but definatly will.  Its true that a good/bad session changes your mood, and i dont think i like that its not good really to have yur mood based on a poker game. Yes its not just the money, obv i want to win more money, but if i had a million in my account and was losing at 10nl it would still make me feel the same, i just dont like losing when were all competing, but my main worry is my actually strategy, i found 10nl really hard, theres so many players to pot that its hardto win a hand if you dont hit, there also fairly aggresive, i thought it would be the opposite.  So im sat there like a TAG when i wanna play abit more, and then ill get a good hand completely miss the flop and thy bet, aand i dont wanna float or bluff against such loose players so im c/f alot....thats when i thought punching the wall was worth it :( Getting great help though from the community on here, no one has told me to shut up moaning yet which is nice.  Got a few pms aswell.  So i think ill look over some hands tommorrow, watch some videos and read abit more sections of the mnetal game of poker. Might also see if anyone interested in playing and having me in an msn convo and telling me what they have./why there doing there action/ what they wanna achieve from the hand/why they are or are not playing a certain hand etc. just gotta find somone whos interested.
    Posted by robbie1992
    Ice = thin......and you are skating on it! :)

I really hope things turn around for you though, it's obvious you put of lot of effort into trying to improve..........keep the faith!!
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: ONE TIME!.....another diary. : Ice = thin......and you are skating on it! :) I really hope things turn around for you though, it's obvious you put of lot of effort into trying to improve..........keep the faith!!
    Posted by waller02
    lol ill try to tip toe on that thin ice.  Thanks, im sure it will, would be nice to build the b/r up.
  • edited May 2013
    Get a stressball rather than damaging your knuckles, can always chuck that around as well without too much damage.. have just pm'd you.
  • edited May 2013

Just an update today as i wanted to keep the diary updated everyday.  Not playing today think i needed a day off, i emailed into the live show yesterday about how things were going etc and they offered some advice, mainly saying a break wouldnt matter but i went for it anyway.  Managed to watch some HH's and watched a video that covered alotregarding position andaggresion on the flop, took up 4 and a half pages of notes but it was some good info.  Might try and look at some of my hands maybe today or tommorow, and read abit more of the mental game, then start playing tommorow if i feel more confident, im convinced i can still become a winning player and think studying will help it. 

Also going to look at some other peoples diarys and stuff as i dont spend enough time doing that, even though i do find it interesting to see how other peoples games go.

Decided to do a mile and a half jog today just to burn off some energy and get some fresh air, think its good to do somthing non poker otherwise it takes over yourbrain.  Also being a fitness instructor i enjoy my runs with my ipod on full volume.  Done well to study so much as my puppy chocolate labrador is going through a fase of trying to pull at my shorts whenever his near me.  Will be updating the diary tommorow if/after i play.

• edited May 2013
    Still havnt had time to play which is disappointing as I was planning on playing, but iv been doing my room up and have brought stuff, which means putting it up and its just been a busy few days.  Did read a few diarys which were interesting to see how everyones getting on and what there playing, think I read lamberts, bencs , devonfishs and someone elses who I cant remember, but there good reads.

Poker wise I have put in 90 mins revision yesterday and today and thought the video was extrememly helpful and I think it will help me to go on a good spell, going to try and read some more of 'the mental game of poker' tomorrow as im worried about my tilt then hopefully ill be back playing cash. 

BTW, just see this promo and never been involved in a promo, it might give me more reason to grind for longer, if I play only 3 tables where am I likely to finish ? can I make top 20? could be a short term target
  • edited June 2013
    Had abit of a break lately, today was the first time I have played in about 3 days I think, but 2 of them I did revise.

I played 3 tables of nl10 for about 2 hours and made £8 profit......but, tbh I just wanna get back to winning and doing the correct things consistently, I don't care if it is only £8, even though I thought I had made more.  I had originally planned to play until 11pm but I feel tired after a long day so gonna call it a day and put in a long session tomorrow.  I have sorted my room so I have a quiet place to play/study, hope it will make a difference.

Does anyone have any tips on how to play longer sessions, do you have any rules to help you play for like 4hours+?

Also I would like comments on a few hands from today , thanks.
  • edited June 2013
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    TINTIN Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £11.28
    devonfish5 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £9.90
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • A

plaza09 Call  £0.10 £0.25 £7.58
    GREGSTER Fold     
    robbie1992 Raise  £0.40 £0.65 £10.83
    TINTIN Fold     
    devonfish5 Fold     
    plaza09 Call  £0.30 £0.95 £7.28
    Flop

• J

plaza09 Check     
    robbie1992 Bet  £0.50 £1.45 £10.33
    plaza09 Call  £0.50 £1.95 £6.78
    Turn

• A

plaza09 Check     
    robbie1992 Bet  £1.46 £3.41 £8.87
    plaza09 All-in  £6.78 £10.19 £0.00
    robbie1992 Call  £5.32 £15.51 £3.55
    plaza09 Show
    • A

robbie1992 Show
    • Q
    • A

River

plaza09 Win Two Pairs, Aces and 8s £14.34  £14.34
    Against a loose fishy sorta player,  considering that I shouldn't have bet the flop, have to call turn? even tho its an overbet shove?
    KristenR Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £24.31
    robbie1992 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £8.87
      Your hole cards

Cash_Daddy Fold     
    stevemug2 Fold     
    daragh1980 Raise  £0.30 £0.45 £16.81
    devonfish5 Fold     
    KristenR Call  £0.25 £0.70 £24.06
    robbie1992 Call  £0.20 £0.90 £8.67
    Flop

• A
    • A

KristenR Bet  £0.90 £1.80 £23.16
    robbie1992 Raise  £2.00 £3.80 £6.67
    daragh1980 Raise  £3.10 £6.90 £13.71
    KristenR Call  £2.20 £9.10 £20.96
    robbie1992 Fold     
    Turn

• Q

KristenR Check     
    daragh1980 Bet  £6.83 £15.93 £6.88
    KristenR Fold     
    daragh1980 Muck     
    daragh1980 Win  £8.41  £15.29
    daragh1980 Return  £6.83 £0.69 £22.12
    why cant I do this here?? mutiway pot means I shouldn't although the board is fairly dry, is this a flop I can bluff raise in future heads up ?
    robbie1992 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £10.00
    TINTIN Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £12.81
    plaza09 Big blind  £0.10 £0.25 £14.04
      Your hole cards

devonfish5 Fold     
    plaza09 Check     
    GREGSTER Fold     
    doppa Raise  £0.20 £0.45 £3.22
    robbie1992 Call  £0.15 £0.60 £9.85
    TINTIN Call  £0.10 £0.70 £12.71
    plaza09 Call  £0.10 £0.80 £13.94
    Flop

• Q

robbie1992 Check     
    TINTIN Check     
    plaza09 Bet  £0.10 £0.90 £13.84
    doppa Fold     
    robbie1992 Raise  £0.50 £1.40 £9.35
    TINTIN Call  £0.50 £1.90 £12.21
    plaza09 Fold     
    Turn

robbie1992 Bet  £1.10 £3.00 £8.25
    TINTIN Call  £1.10 £4.10 £11.11
    River

• J

robbie1992 Check     
    TINTIN Check     
    robbie1992 Show

TINTIN Muck
    • A
    • Q

robbie1992 Win Two Pairs, 4s and 3s £3.83  £12.08
    How do I get more value here?? I didn't bet turn because I thought he had a queen and his likely queens for calling in the bb multiway is jq, q10 so I thought it was a bad run out, also if I c/c his bets would occasionally be bluffs .  But seeing as I flopped bottom 2 pair and he had tptk, the pot size doesn't seem big enogh
  • edited June 2013
    I can see 2 good points from your last posts.

1. TINTIN is playing 10nl........hope he stays there and away from 4nl
    2. You seem to have a more positive approach.

I ain't gonna give any advice on the hands, I will leave it to the better players.

Keep up the good mood though and things might start to turn around for you. Gl
  • edited June 2013
    Lol yeah iv heard a lot about him from 4nl so will be interesting playing with him at 10nl.  Thankyou Waller, I think its because I studied and it just give me some answers and just helped abit, today I just felt confident in every decision I made and think I was tough to play against, just need to keep trying to improve the tilt, I was fine today but want to no ill be okay no matter what.

Hows your poker been going Waller?
  • edited June 2013
    Yeah it's going ok. I have decided to play 4nl to try and build up my roll as well as a few micro MTT's at the weekend.

I blew my roll a couple of months ago it was frustrating but it was money that I had previously won so I kinda see it as when those people on gameshows  say "I came with nothing" when they are given the option to gamble......if you know what I mean lol

Poker is my hobby, it's fun. Or should be. Thats the way you should look at it too mate, in the grand scheme of life a game of poker is nothing to get so wound up about.
  • edited June 2013
    Yeah its true, I think like that sometimes, if you came with nothing then u got a whole b/r for free so its not the end of the world if u lose it, why did u lose it, poor play or tilt?.  do you have a diary so I can track your progress?

True, I do like the game and enjoy watching it aswell on tv and the characters in it, its just it can be such a cruel game on occasions and its hard not too get annoyed.  I no just watch the news if you have a bad day and compare your aces getting cracked with whats happening in the world.