You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ah got a feelin

Comments

• edited July 2013
    Must be his day, just played that K4MBO in some HU SnGs like 2 mins ago and he ran pretty sweet.
  • edited July 2013
    lol i would love 2 play him at HU
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: 100 MTT Games - A Journey:
    lol i would love 2 play him at HU
    Posted by LARSON7
    Not if he's running like he was V me you wouldn't ;)
  • edited July 2013
    Only just started reading this having seen you on a few MTT tables recently and look forward to seeing how you progress.

For me, the key to winning at low stakes MTT's is playing the mid-late stages well as so many players at these levels are clueless about how to play these stages and far too interested in preserving their chipstacks than they are in making a run to win the tournament.  If you can pick your spots well, it's very easy to accumulate chips cheaply through these stages and I'd strongly advise really working on this part of your game as it's where you'll yield the best results.  I've got a couple of really good live sweat videos from a training site that focus on this area if you're interested?

Best piece of advice for playing MTT's I can give is play to win, this sounds obvious, but so many people play to make the money or to get a deep run.  The value in MTT's in on the final table and a lot of the time in smaller MTT's you really need to be looking at top 3 to make significant profits.  This means that sometimes you have to not be scared to lose in order to put yourself in a position to be able to win.  It's amazing when you do make the late stages, how few people know how to play them in the low stakes games.

Best of luck with it and I look forward to seeing you at the tables :)
  • edited July 2013
    Only just started reading this having seen you on a few MTT tables recently and look forward to seeing how you progress. For me, the key to winning at low stakes MTT's is playing the mid-late stages well as so many players at these levels are clueless about how to play these stages and far too interested in preserving their chipstacks than they are in making a run to win the tournament.  If you can pick your spots well, it's very easy to accumulate chips cheaply through these stages and I'd strongly advise really working on this part of your game as it's where you'll yield the best results.  I've got a couple of really good live sweat videos from a training site that focus on this area if you're interested? Best piece of advice for playing MTT's I can give is play to win, this sounds obvious, but so many people play to make the money or to get a deep run.  The value in MTT's in on the final table and a lot of the time in smaller MTT's you really need to be looking at top 3 to make significant profits.  This means that sometimes you have to not be scared to lose in order to put yourself in a position to be able to win.  It's amazing when you do make the late stages, how few people know how to play them in the low stakes games. Best of luck with it and I look forward to seeing you at the tables :)
    Posted by Slykllist
    That would be great Slykllist, that's where I struggle the middle to late stages - I posted a thread up on the clinic a few weeks ago asking the best way to play these stages. If you could send me over some vids that deal with this area, it would really help.

Like that tournie, when I was down to 20 bigs and less, I had total junk hands, best hands was prob KJ K 10 and I don't wanna go to war with them lol

In a way, it's maybe hard for me to adjust (having played cash where you are always deep). I need to make this adjustment to be able to play with a 20-30 blind stack. This is one of my biggest weaknesses at MTTs.

-------------------------------------------------------

Also is there any players wouldn't mind having a chat on Skype about strategy, MTTs generally, then please send me a PM.

And if any experienced MTT player, would mind having a sweat session with me, when i'm playing an MTT,  you could see my cards how i'm playing, that would be pretty awesome too! Just for a certain stage of a tournie would be outstanding! 

Thanks 
  • edited July 2013
    HI Larson

Some points i'd like to make which may help, i feel.
    One thing you can never say is "i got bored". Well say it but don't play hands because of it. Poker is a game of patience.

Playing middle to late stages is crucial and picking your spots too BUT , and its a big but, I've never seen any advice aimed at this period as its too player/stack/position based and too situational to give firm advice. I would love some good examples though. I would say that putting your opponents to making a difficult decision is key here. As i said on your original post aim for top three and this will stop you getting too tight near the bubble or during the cash part is a softer version of Slykllists 'go for the win' but both still require an aggro approach

Making notes is going to make a difference too as you will always come across, for example, blind stealers who will fold to a click back rer etc. However others won't so when they raise from utg and you click back a rer they go ai. You are throwing good info away for other MTT's if you don't record it.

By the way your love of BH's with mad calls etc will soon nosedive when these callers hit to knock you out.......

When you see a poor play or get it in ahead( lets say aim for 70:30) then you've done well.

Anyway you seem to be enjoying the journey. Don't let a cash be your aim....let it be good patient play with correct decisions made based on stack size, position and reads. 

PS I played four DS last night where patience is key and yet get the initial surge of players who want to gamble to double up early doors. Fine that's a strategy that can pay dividends but also early exits too. You will find a style that suits you that you feel comfortable with, i'm sure. When i said aim for top three my 2nd place got me 8 times more than my 8th place and the 22nd place got nothing but i needed the double up and needed to take the correct ai for my stack which i did. BTW i checked over my HU this mornig and saw how i butchered it really badlty. You need to allow yourself time to go over past hands and check for mistakes as well as knowing what impression you are giving to your opponents about your play. 

Hope this helps. I know its a mixed bag but it contains a lot of stuff which i've found helpful in playing MTT's. 
  • edited July 2013
    Thanks Profman.

You are right about the whole boredom thing. Very nice post! I'll respond to it later on, once i've played a bit tonight. Honestly, some brilliant feedback on here, that's why Sky has a great community.

Tonight, I Got a Feeling, going to play a few tournies, maybe some HU too, i'm feeling quite good about it and surely a bit of run goods coming tonight! Looking forward 2 it.
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: 100 MTT Games - A Journey : That would be great Slykllist, that's where I struggle the middle to late stages - I posted a thread up on the clinic a few weeks ago asking the best way to play these stages. If you could send me over some vids that deal with this area, it would really help. Like that tournie, when I was down to 20 bigs and less, I had total junk hands, best hands was prob KJ K 10 and I don't wanna go to war with them lol In a way, it's maybe hard for me to adjust (having played cash where you are always deep). I need to make this adjustment to be able to play with a 20-30 blind stack. This is one of my biggest weaknesses at MTTs. ------------------------------------------------------- Also is there any players wouldn't mind having a chat on Skype about strategy, MTTs generally, then please send me a PM. And if any experienced MTT player, would mind having a sweat session with me, when i'm playing an MTT,  you could see my cards how i'm playing, that would be pretty awesome too! Just for a certain stage of a tournie would be outstanding!  Thanks 
    Posted by LARSON7
    PM me your address and I'll stick a CD in the post
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: 100 MTT Games - A Journey : That would be great Slykllist, that's where I struggle the middle to late stages - I posted a thread up on the clinic a few weeks ago asking the best way to play these stages. If you could send me over some vids that deal with this area, it would really help. Like that tournie, when I was down to 20 bigs and less, I had total junk hands, best hands was prob KJ K 10 and I don't wanna go to war with them lol In a way, it's maybe hard for me to adjust (having played cash where you are always deep). I need to make this adjustment to be able to play with a 20-30 blind stack. This is one of my biggest weaknesses at MTTs. ------------------------------------------------------- Also is there any players wouldn't mind having a chat on Skype about strategy, MTTs generally, then please send me a PM. And if any experienced MTT player, would mind having a sweat session with me, when i'm playing an MTT,  you could see my cards how i'm playing, that would be pretty awesome too! Just for a certain stage of a tournie would be outstanding!  Thanks 
    Posted by LARSON7
    You're right, this is where I struggle with cash, but in reverse.

Relative stack size and fold equity and also fear equity become much bigger factors at this stage, situations and position can be a lot more important than cards at this stage.
  • edited July 2013
    HI Larson Some points i'd like to make which may help, i feel. One thing you can never say is "i got bored". Well say it but don't play hands because of it. Poker is a game of patience.  Playing middle to late stages is crucial and picking your spots too BUT , and its a big but, I've never seen any advice aimed at this period as its too player/stack/position based and too situational to give firm advice. I would love some good examples though.  I would say that putting your opponents to making a difficult decision is key here. As i said on your original post aim for top three and this will stop you getting too tight near the bubble or during the cash part is a softer version of Slykllists 'go for the win' but both still require an aggro approach Making notes is going to make a difference too as you will always come across, for example, blind stealers who will fold to a click back rer etc. However others won't so when they raise from utg and you click back a rer they go ai. You are throwing good info away for other MTT's if you don't record it. By the way your love of BH's with mad calls etc will soon nosedive when these callers hit to knock you out....... When you see a poor play or get it in ahead( lets say aim for 70:30) then you've done well. Anyway you seem to be enjoying the journey. Don't let a cash be your aim....let it be good patient play with correct decisions made based on stack size, position and reads.  PS I played four DS last night where patience is key and yet get the initial surge of players who want to gamble to double up early doors. Fine that's a strategy that can pay dividends but also early exits too. You will find a style that suits you that you feel comfortable with, i'm sure. When i said aim for top three my 2nd place got me 8 times more than my 8th place and the 22nd place got nothing but i needed the double up and needed to take the correct ai for my stack which i did. BTW i checked over my HU this mornig and saw how i butchered it really badlty. You need to allow yourself time to go over past hands and check for mistakes as well as knowing what impression you are giving to your opponents about your play.  Hope this helps. I know its a mixed bag but it contains a lot of stuff which i've found helpful in playing MTT's. 
    Posted by profman15
    Part of yesterday was a bit of tilt.

I fully understand about going for the win, i want too, but the last couple of times i've ran deep pretty much i have been card dead later on. There is positions like blind on blind, with hands like q 8, or 9 10 offsuit, where i could make a move to try and steal the big blind, or go over the top of some1, but really i dont want to jeapordise a tournie with a marginal hand.

It's really difficult when not getting reasonable cards, to do anything.

I seem to be really comfortable early doors, and unwind a bit later on. Where I wished i ran bad early, and good late on at the business end of the tournie.
  • edited July 2013
    Thanks Sly! I'll message you.

Update

I played 2 tournies tonight (and a freeroll)

I got a deep run in all, £2.20 BH and a £2.20 deep stack.

In the bounty hunter, i was playing well, built a good stack, when the blinds were moving I yoyod a bit, with 60 left i had an 8k stack, ended up getting it all in on with 2 pair, opponent had a higher 2 pair, which left me crippled with 1500. Was out soon after. Really happy how I played in this, my exit hand plays itself really.

In the deepstack, again was playing quite well, had built up a stack of 30k with 20 left and blinds going up. I was in the best position i have been for a while to get a deep run, FT and go for it. I was really confident here i was going to go really deep. 

Then it went wrong, every pot i was involved i pretty much lost, which just about the bubble time left me one of the short stacks, if not the shortest stack on the bubble. I think i must have played this part of the tournie pretty bad.

I'll post up some hands at this critical point for some feedback. Pretty sure i butchered them all!

I ended up 9th, 11th were paid.  
  • edited July 2013
    Confidence and momentum can play a part. I'm on a reasonable mini run myself so not really bothered about cash tables and prefer to focus on tourneys whilst I'm feeling good. As soon as I brick a few tounies I'll be back playing micro stakes with the odd tourney dabble here and there.

Sounds like you might be about to build some momentum yourself so keep plugging away if you feel you are playing good tournament poker.
  • edited July 2013
    Just looked at my hand histories where i went from 30k-12k.

It's not as bad as i made out above apart from 1 hand.

I min raised junk SB versus BB, and continuation bet still with nothing. And was raised against a pretty predicatble player. Had 2 fold.

My big blinds, were 5 10 suited, 5 7, 2 3, 10 5, 3 8, 2 9, q 6. Every time it was raised. Inbetween these are the types of hads i was getting.

AK, i min raised, guy donk bet pot on the flop (ivenot hut) i wonder how others would play this? I folded.

A4 Suited on the button, min raised, and was shoved on.

Apart from the 1st hand, i didn't do that much wrong, just had a bad run of cards.
  • edited July 2013
    Can you post this SB v BB junk hand. Might not be too bad depending on reads on BB, board texture etc. 
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: 100 MTT Games - Ah got a feeling:
    Can you post this SB v BB junk hand. Might not be too bad depending on reads on BB, board texture etc. 
    Posted by The_Don90
    Hey Mate,

Didn't write down the hand id

Basically i min raised, didnt even know you could do that! Blinds are 500-100 i raised 500 so the total bet is 1500. 500 to call.

Flop 7 J J
  • edited July 2013
    GOOD LUCK LARSON HOPE U DO WELL WITH IT M8 ;)
  • edited July 2013
    Ok so folded to us in SB we open to 2000. I like this sizing. I like to have a hand with some sort of equity in the hand. weather its nutting or a hand that can flop reasonable. In othewards i don't wana have 92o. 

Post flop. There is so many lines we can take. I don't know our hand, but JJ7 is a great flop for us. I mean there i so many different lines we can take depending on our holding. cbet with most of our range is the simple option. Obviously we're oop so i think with 99.95% of our holdings this is the best option. 
  • edited July 2013
    Q 2 (suited!) Thats why im saying it was pretty terrible haha
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: 100 MTT Games - Ah got a feeling:
    Q 2 (suited!) Thats why im saying it was pretty terrible haha
    Posted by LARSON7
    we have to barrel this flop then.

Q2s isnt terrible, expessially if the BB is tight. 
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: 100 MTT Games - A Journey To NewCastle Why Aye Man:
    [/] Poker Chat [x] Poker Diary Chat All for a new section of the forum where all the diaries can live in harmony? Say I. iiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii ii
    Posted by Smitalos
    Nowhere near enough love.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
  • edited July 2013
    Played 2 tournies today, a BH and the orfodrable deep stack

Got knocked out in the BH just before the bubble, shoved AJ into 2 players, called by pocket Jacks lol

Orforable, was only going about 10 minutes, lol crippled with pocket 10s against Queens, probably a fold tbf.

Board had paired, opponents range was pretty tight here, i talked myself into they were either overplaying AKAQ or it was an over pair. Pretty obvious it was an over pair, on the turn i decided i was going with it.
    aircon08 Small blind  200.00 200.00 34760.00
    merc1 Big blind  400.00 600.00 28120.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • J

waller02 Fold     
    LARSON7 All-in  7518.42 8118.42 0.00
    PREDITOR Fold     
    aircon08 Fold     
    merc1 Call  7118.42 15236.84 21001.58
    merc1 Show
    • J
    • J

LARSON7 Show
    • A
    • J

Flop

• Q

Turn

River

merc1 Win Two Pairs, Jacks and 5s 15236.84
    lyonsbob06 Small blind  15.00 15.00 4895.00
    MELLOR85 Big blind  30.00 45.00 4070.00
      Your hole cards

Serge77 Fold     
    imber Raise  120.00 165.00 5172.50
    profman15 Fold     
    stokefc Fold     
    mmmchips Fold     
    daggers747 Fold     
    Mitch_II Fold     
    LARSON7 Call  120.00 285.00 5015.00
    lyonsbob06 Fold     
    MELLOR85 Raise  450.00 735.00 3620.00
    imber Call  360.00 1095.00 4812.50
    LARSON7 Call  360.00 1455.00 4655.00
    Flop

MELLOR85 Bet  727.50 2182.50 2892.50
    imber Fold     
    LARSON7 Call  727.50 2910.00 3927.50
    Turn

MELLOR85 Bet  1455.00 4365.00 1437.50
    LARSON7 All-in  3927.50 8292.50 0.00
    MELLOR85 All-in  1437.50 9730.00 0.00
    LARSON7 Unmatched bet  1035.00 8695.00 1035.00
    MELLOR85 Show
    • Q
    • Q

LARSON7 Show

River

MELLOR85 Win Two Pairs, Queens and 4s 8695.00
  • edited July 2013
    Hand 1 - Your stack is WAY too big to just open shove. Just minraise

Hand 2 - This is pretty horrible. I think if we call pre we pretty much have to be set mining cos I reckon the only hand we're beating is AK. If we aint folding then 100% just call the turn cos raising won't get calls from worse.
  • edited July 2013
    H2

You need to 3 bet the button.  If villain then cold 4bets you can fold. As played agree with lambie and same comment on h1.
    Looks like bet sizing needs to be your focus. 
  • edited July 2013

Update

I played in another b/h this morning, timed tournie (15 mins), and gtd game.

Timed game i shoved, AQ Blind on Blind ust before the finish with just above starting stack called by KJ, jack got there.

Gtd game, i got knocked out with about 8 players left, I called an all in on a 2345 board with the Ace. Didn't expect someone to be sitting about with the 6! Prob a fold to be fair.

In th BH i went out just in the money.

I was loving life when i seen pocket Ks, and Gary was all in (hand below)

I've played about just over 10 games, prob about 12 proper MTTs (deepstack or BH)

I've mincashed about 4 times, i'm not trying too!

The BH this morning, i didn't have to gamble once. So really pleased with that. I just built my stack my going for max value everytime i had a decent hand. Around the Bubble again, i feel i may have made mistakes.

There was a guy who was massive chip leader who kept min raising every pot to steal the blinds (he was on my left) there was one hand i had ace 6 in the small blind, villian min raised, i think it would have been an ideal spot to Jam over the top. There was a couple of hands like that (not massive hands) but hands most likely ahead of villains range.

Quite happy with how i've been playing. Tho still a lot of mistakes.

Geldy and Paul the 2 hands above, i agree open shoving AJ with 20 Bigs was a mistake. I thought i had less blinds than what i did. It was a bad decision that cost me a good chance at a deep run in the tournie.

With the 10s hand on the turn, i'm turning my hand into a bluff, tho theres little chance an over pair is ever folding. I decided on the turn i was going with it, i would never call, Just fold or shove. I decided to shove to save the allin shove on the river if i had just called.

jansh Small blind  200.00 200.00 10808.00
    erchie Big blind  400.00 600.00 17262.50
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

GaryQQQ All-in  4730.00 5330.00 0.00
    newton10 Fold     
    ROBERTF96 Fold     
    LARSON7 All-in  4730.00 10060.00 0.00
    jansh Fold     
    erchie Call  4330.00 14390.00 12932.50
    erchie Show
    • Q
    • A

GaryQQQ Show

LARSON7 Show
    • K
    • K

Flop

• Q
    • Q

Turn

River

erchie Win Three Queens 14390
  • edited July 2013
    If they have an overpair or 2x or 4x, you're done for anyway. The problem with shoving is that everything you beat probably folds. If you're going to get all your chips in anyway regardless you might aswell call to give him some chance of betting with worse. People will probably keep going with 66, 77, 88, 99 cos you can call with worse pairs or even A high thinking they're trying to take you off a chop etc, but when you shove, all them hands that you beat fold and you're left with just the ones that beat you.
  • edited July 2013
    Hey Larson7, note it was very rare situation in the hand above. We both got eliminated on the stone-cold bubble in the same hand with identical chipstacks. For a split second I was peeved that you were awarded 11th place money and I was bubble boy, though I soon realised that your hand beat mine so the placings were actually correct. It's reassuring to know the software knew what to do.

FWIW I didn't care about bubbling at all, a couple of the big stacks were calling pretty light so I was hoping to get a call and double-up and giving myself a shot at FT+. If I'd known in advance that the BB held AQ and would be calling I still would have jammed. As soon as you snap called I knew I was in trouble, typical poker that the AQ guy got us both in the end.  

I was impressed with your play, it wasn't fun having you on my direct left earlier in the tournament. Good luck to you.
  • edited July 2013

YEah Very Unlucky to be up against Kings.

I was loving life when the other guy showed AQ, nice wee trebble up at a crucial time and you had 4 bounties which would have been sweet ltoo ol

Don't know if you seen it, but i was disconected, my page disappeared from my screen (error message), i had to reload the skypoker page, put in my id password, the table just loaded up as the previous player was thinking and i seen kings and you were all in! I just managed to click "back" before it auto folded me.

If this hand had held, it was my best chance to get a result since i started this thread.

The guy that knocked us out went out 6th.

• edited July 2013
    I'm going to play the Forum Games Tonight. Don't know yet, but I might also play another deep stack as well.

They are a really good fun games. I'm going to try and put into practice some stuff I've picked up over the last week, cut out some of the mistakes I've been noticing/ had feedback on.

I've been playing way to much poker recently, after tonight I am going to have a break for a few days whether I do well or not.

All things being equal, i'm going to give it a good shot tonight, and hopefully can get deep runs in all the tournies.

If you see me at the tables be sure to say hello!

I'll update later how I get on.
  • edited July 2013

Tonight played the 3DTD games. No cashes.

I would say the standard in these i a lot better than the regular tournies i play.

DTD3, quite early a guy openshoved, i was sitting with pocket Jacks. A short stack went all in. I'm pretty sure i'm ahead of the original all in, had no idea what shortie was on, i was guessing his range was pretty wide.

Maybe a bad call, but i called, if i won that i had a nice stack, Original all in guy has 10s, other guy had queens (i still had the side pot), Set of Queens and Set of 10s hut. Out.

DTD2, i lasted the longest in this. Out 42nd, my exit hand was a bit spewy. I had 10 bigs in the BB, checked around i had 2 4 suited, flop came down JJK, i just open shoved with my flush draw, AJ called, and i missed. Don't know if i should of went all in, 2 ways to win the pot! I should have prob just check folded.

DTD3, i had 10 bigs blinds 300-600 Arfur some1 had 80k raised, i jammed pocket 2s he called with j9, hut.

Was a fun night, but is a bit of a grind. Didn't have much in the way of hands.

Thats me taking a few days break.

Good luck everyone and thanks for reading

• edited July 2013
    Hi Larson,

I've reads bits of this thread but not the whole thing so sorry if this has already been asked, but have you read any MTT books to help with your quest?