You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited December 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    I have now edited this post as I have found the HH. I just remembered a question I wanted to ask you Tikay. A few days ago, we were on the bubble, a player went all in for 1.5bb and all 3 of us called pre.  After the flop me and possibly Hendo still had about 6000, I had 3000 and  you had about 2000. The flop was J97 and you had JT98 for the nut straight (at that point). You potted. We both folded and you knocked the other player out I thought it was a strange decision to pot it when there was a player all in on the bubble. Was it just a loss of concentration due to multitabling or am I missing something? Hand id if you want to take a look.    1109035951 Keep the updates coming.
    Posted by dragon1964
    Almost certainly, yes.

Props to you for remembering a single hand of poker from several days ago. You have a better memory than me.  
  • edited December 2016
    So, having waffled on about that 1 hand for an hour, how am I doing generally? From mid September until early December, I've been on a huge heater, & the roll hit an all time high.   Last week, I managed the near impossible - 6 straight losing nights, but only £5 & £10 per night. Then, on Sunday, I ended £60 up, plus my Rewards money of £16, so it was a small profit for the week.  This week, same thing - small losses most night until Friday, when I knocked £47 in, ouchio. It was especially painful as I was £30 up after 29 games, but decided to play on to take advantage of 2X points. And lost 9 of the next 12, to go from £30 up to £47 down.  Last night I was in a big hole again, £26 down after 19 games, but then won 9 from 12 to pull it back to a £6 loss.  It is more than likely that this week will be a losing week though - my first in many months. Boo.  Some run bad, but quite a few mistakes & bad decisions. I've run a bit bad in the £11 & £16.50 games this week, but there have not been that many, except on Friday, when I played poorly overall.   Still loving the game though, & can't wait to start paying every night.   I'm on the hunt for points today. Was hoping for 1,500, but the traffic has been relatively quiet most nights, so I'm only on 1,299, & so 1,500 is highly unlikely. But you never know, so I might start early, maybe 4pm if there is any traffic around.   Have a lovely Sunday, whatever your plans.     
    Posted by Tikay10
    A very good night last night, & I so nearly got out of this week's hole - I eventually ended less than £1 down on the week. Result, that.

A ton of traffic last night, too, including 10 games at £11 or £16.50, & I managed to get over the 1,500 point threshold, so that was a nice £22.82 in bunce.

• edited December 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : A very good night last night, & I so nearly got out of this week's hole - I eventually ended less than £1 down on the week. Result, that.   A ton of traffic last night, too, including 10 games at £11 or £16.50, & I managed to get over the 1,500 point threshold, so that was a nice £22.82 in bunce.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Splendid word-haven't heard that in yonks.

When you win, do you think of it as "folding money"?
  • edited December 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Splendid word-haven't heard that in yonks. When you win, do you think of it as "folding money"?
    Posted by Essexphil
    Ha, yes, "a bit of bunce" & "folding money" were terms I grew up with, but both are fading into obscurity these days.

Times have changed so much. I always keep some emergency "folding money" in my pocket, but I've had £200 or so there for many months now, & I don't think I've spent a penny of it - it's all plastic these days. I honestly can't remember the last time I used proper cash  - you know, £1 notes & stuff - to buy anything.   

• edited December 2016

A question for the regular readers here (both of them).

Have you noticed how often poker players can turn a positive into a negative?

Part of what I do here is to inform or remind folks about what is coming up. That can't be a bad thing, can it?

So last week I reminded everyone that it was Happy Days, 2x Point on SNG's & Cash Games, & it all went downhill after that, with one chap actually saying "what is the point of this promo?". Umm......

So, wear my shoes this week. Happy Days runs again, Wednesday to Friday. How would YOU write the Post to start that thread?

Come on, lets have some examples, & if you can include some humour, all the better.    

• edited December 2016
            "Double Trouble" but "Treble the fun"

p.s.   ty 4 knocking the 2 big stacks out  4 me.  ta
  • edited December 2016
    I would start by saying that everything has been checked and it will all work exactly as it should do!

The promotions on Sky are tremendous right now and have been for a long time. The trouble is that so many mistakes are made that that is what some people remember most. It just makes Sky look amateurish.
    Rather than everyone saying that a promotion is wonderful we end up saying that Sky have messed up again.
    So many examples 

If a rake race starts at midnight,  then it should start at midnight. On numerous occasions promotions like double points haven't started at the right time. Players have put in big volume right from the start and then found out that they haven't received the double points. 

If someone has put in the required volume to get into a freeroll then they shouldn't have to ring customer care because they're aren't able to enter.

If we are told that we are going to receive triple points for a month then that is what we should get. To change a promotion after a week is dreadful.

Prizes won should be sent out in a timely fashion.

If we promote things like birthday bonuses for priority players then they shouldn't have to call customer care to get that bonus credited.

I'm sure that there are other things as well that i just can't recall right now.

As I said at the start, I think the promotions are great. It would just be nice if we could be comfortable that they would run properly each time.

• edited December 2016

^^^^

How's the toothache?

PS - the rest of it is all fair comment, except the bits that are not fair comment.

Unforch, I don't imagine the Suits lower themselves to read this Diary, but I'll pass on Grumpy Jac's comments, obv.
  • edited December 2016
    A question for the regular readers here (both of them). Have you noticed how often poker players can turn a positive into a negative? Part of what I do here is to inform or remind folks about what is coming up. That can't be a bad thing, can it? So last week I reminded everyone that it was Happy Days, 2x Point on SNG's & Cash Games, & it all went downhill after that, with one chap actually saying "what is the point of this promo?". Umm...... So, wear my shoes this week. Happy Days runs again, Wednesday to Friday. How would YOU write the Post to start that thread? Come on, lets have some examples, & if you can include some humour, all the better.      
    Posted by Tikay10
    Double trouble all day Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. That's right double points no all cash games and S&G's. Anybody not wanting them contact Customer care to get them removed from your account.

Something like that?
  • edited December 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Double trouble all day Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. That's right double points no all cash games and S&G's. Anybody not wanting them contact Customer care to get them removed from your account. Something like that?
    Posted by Sir-Gary
    Ha, very good.

Not seen you on the PLO8 tables in the last week or so, hope all is well.

We HAVE seen Grumpy Jac though, that's how bad we run.
  • edited December 2016
    Maybe its my age but I tend to limit myself to a maximum of 6 tables if I am mixing PLO8 and Holdem. So if I crash and burn in a few tournaments early, then I often open a few PLO8's DYM's . It makes me think different and get my brain back in order. Also if other things are on , I may get on later then not bother with Tournaments at all, and open up as many PLO8's I can.
  • edited December 2016
    Maybe its my age but I tend to limit myself to a maximum of 6 tables if I am mixing PLO8 and Holdem. So if I crash and burn in a few tournaments early, then I often open a few PLO8's DYM's . It makes me think different and get my brain back in order. Also if other things are on , I may get on later then not bother with Tournaments at all, and open up as many PLO8's I can.
    Posted by Sir-Gary
    Yeah, that all makes sense, & I did note you tended to arrive late in the evening, if at all.

As long as you are OK, that's the main thing. We all have a sort of duty of care to old folks in the Community, so we do worry about guys like yourself & EssexPhil.   

• edited December 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : A very good night last night, & I so nearly got out of this week's hole - I eventually ended less than £1 down on the week. Result, that.   A ton of traffic last night, too, including 10 games at £11 or £16.50, & I managed to get over the 1,500 point threshold, so that was a nice £22.82 in bunce.  
    Posted by Tikay10

I really like the little tweaks you have made, good to see an old dog definitely can learn a few new tricks. :-)
  • edited December 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I really like the little tweaks you have made, good to see an old dog definitely can learn a few new tricks. :-)
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    K-K-2-3?

;)
  • edited December 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Almost certainly, yes. Props to you for remembering a single hand of poker from several days ago. You have a better memory than me.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    It was only memorable because I was 100% sure it would be checked down, knowing who was playing.

It was a complete shock when you potted it. 

It's easily done when multi tabling.

• edited December 2016

A visit to the dark side.....

Disappointing times last night, when my internet fell over. Regged for a game & could not even open the table, so I set fire to a £3 note, & wasted an evening where I needed to try & rack up some points to get a decent payment this week. Had to sit & watch the Darts on TV - oh my, that coverage is turgid & dire, what with the bland & insipid commentary, & the bladdered audience singing stand up if you like the darts, groan.

Last week, a friend of mine suggested I might try a few NLH DYM's, as maybe it would help with my Reward Points - it is so hard to accumulate them at PLO8 DYM's, as the games only run in the evening, & then it's not easy to get a decent batch of games every night. In DYM's to be profitable I need volume. I could of course play just 1 or 2 tables & get better results than 6 tabling, but I'd get bored.

And so.... 
  • edited December 2016

This morning I decided to be brave, & fire up a few NLH DYM's. Decided to stick to £3 & £5 for now.

I used to be OK at NLH, but the game passed me by, & I ended up doing money playing NLH, so moved across to PLO & PLO8, & have never played NLH since.

So I was a bit nervous, don't really know the current NLH opening & calling ranges, but I've got a good bit of DYM nous, so decided to rely on that. And once these things get 4 handed, it's pretty formulaic anyway, be it PLO8 or NLH. Played tight aggro, obv, never limped once in all 5 games.

Played 4 @ £5 & 1 @ £3, & won 4 of the 5, whahay.

The one I lost was OK, too, blinds were 200-400 4 handed, I had 2,300 & jammed with A-7, & walked smack bang into Kings. Hit my ace but he 4 flushed, but can't complain really, & I think my play was correct.

In the other 4 games it goes without saying I ran pretty good, & won with Aces twice.

One game was over in Level 1, no idea what happened, the white box just came up, "Congrats etc". So I did nothing wrong - or right - in that one. 

In another game, I made an odd (& probably bad) play with AK suited in the BB. It was Level 1, & the Button raised it up. I was not sure how to proceed, especially OOP, & I decided to jam & if he called so be it. Thing is, if I flat there, he may well outplay me on the flop, but by jamming I can't be outplayed down the streets. I was very surprised he looked me up with the dominated K-J & I held. Guess my play looked like a small pair or an outright steal & that was also in my thinking. Not the brightest of plays by me, mind. 

The rest of the games just played out normally & I tried to use DYM nous 4 handed & find "spots" to jam. 

Really enjoyed it, I must confess, though if I'd lost 5 from 5, perhaps not.      

• edited December 2016

I had been hoping to avoid any "hot pots", but that was a bit optimistic.

Fella types "is that the real tikay?", & before I could reply, he typed that he had seen me in Vegas one year, doing some filming, but was too shy to approach me & introduce himself, so it looked like his comment this morning was friendly. (Often they are not...).

So I Scoped him, his alias was "Mayhem357", & I'd really walked into one with him - 23,000 games & he makes £0.25 per game, which is very tidy indeed I'd say. A peruse of the Lobby told me he is a multi tabling DYM-er. Did not really want to be on tables with players of his calibre, but, you know, 3 spots are paid so it's not necessarily a disaster.

Anyway, it was all very interesting, enjoyable, & so very different from PLO8. But identical to PLO8 too, in that DYM nous is just as important as game-type nous whatever format we play.

Not sure I'd want to test my faded NLH skills with a proper sample size, mind, probably come a right cropper.

Back to PLO8 tonight, though if the games go quiet, I might venture across to the dark side again. Not sure I'd want to play both simultaneously though, that'd be too much for me I think. 

Interestingly, other than Mayhem375, not a single player in all 5 games typed a word in the chatbox. I did my usual "gl all" but the silence was deafening. Pretty sure O8 players are a more convivial bunch on the whole.  

• edited December 2016
    Hi Tony and all the  Sky Pyjama wearing plopper singers, Just wanted to wish everyone a very Happy Christmas.
    I will be away enjoying the festive period with my family and friends, and will probably be unable to play much poker for the next couple of weeks. Unfortunately that includes the UKOPS PLO and PLO8 tournaments, which is a pity, I hope they both perform well.
    Looking forward to 2017 and I am toying with the idea of starting a diary, cataloging my intent to play poker better, more profitably and charting a course toward playing live for the first time and hopefully, taking a trip to Vegas for the World Series. I will be asking for help with regards where to book , stay , visit etc. Hope to get some great feedback and maybe do some updates if I get out there.
     I may have to get some help with the uploading of hands as my tech skills are pathetic.
    Best wishes to you all for a great Christmas and a Happy prosperous  and healthy New Year.
    Nick
  • edited December 2016
    Hi Tony and all the  Sky Pyjama wearing plopper singers, Just wanted to wish everyone a very Happy Christmas. I will be away enjoying the festive period with my family and friends, and will probably be unable to play much poker for the next couple of weeks. Unfortunately that includes the UKOPS PLO and PLO8 tournaments, which is a pity, I hope they both perform well. Looking forward to 2017 and I am toying with the idea of starting a diary, cataloging my intent to play poker better, more profitably and charting a course toward playing live for the first time and hopefully, taking a trip to Vegas for the World Series. I will be asking for help with regards where to book , stay , visit etc. Hope to get some great feedback and maybe do some updates if I get out there.  I may have to get some help with the uploading of hands as my tech skills are pathetic. Best wishes to you all for a great Christmas and a Happy prosperous  and healthy New Year. Nick
    Posted by pompeynic
    Hi Nic
    On that other forum there is a thread in the rail section that has a wealth of information on Vegas
  • edited December 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Hi Nic On that other forum there is a thread in the rail section that has a wealth of information on Vegas
    Posted by Jac35
    If you ask questions on there you will get some really good answers too. A wealth of Vegas experience on there. 
  • edited December 2016

Nick is a Member of that other forum, but may not be familiar with the thread, so I'll send him a link to it.

It really is an excellent thread for Vegas first-timers, you'll not find better anywhere.
  • edited December 2016
    Hi Tony and all the  Sky Pyjama wearing plopper singers, Just wanted to wish everyone a very Happy Christmas. I will be away enjoying the festive period with my family and friends, and will probably be unable to play much poker for the next couple of weeks. Unfortunately that includes the UKOPS PLO and PLO8 tournaments, which is a pity, I hope they both perform well. Looking forward to 2017 and I am toying with the idea of starting a diary, cataloging my intent to play poker better, more profitably and charting a course toward playing live for the first time and hopefully, taking a trip to Vegas for the World Series. I will be asking for help with regards where to book , stay , visit etc. Hope to get some great feedback and maybe do some updates if I get out there.  I may have to get some help with the uploading of hands as my tech skills are pathetic. Best wishes to you all for a great Christmas and a Happy prosperous  and healthy New Year. Nick
    Posted by pompeynic
    Thanks Nick, hope you have a lovely time with the family.

Don't think I'll be playing the UKOPS PLO or PLO8 either. Gill is down with me from the 27th, & whilst she does not mend me playing poker, I'll be spending 3 or 4 hours each day doing the UKOPS blogs, & it seems to me it'd be a little selfish if I start playing poker in the evenings too. Gill likes watching yukky Christmas films, & encourages me to sit & watch them with her.

"Go on, you'll like it".

"Err, no I chuffing won't".  

A Pompey Diary. I'd really encourage you to do it, & set some targets.  It WILL help you focus, & you'll be encouraged & offered help which things go wrong, as they will from time to time. I've had no end of help when I have explained the poker problems I have encountered from time to time. 

There are a few Diary haters here - no idea why, they don't have to read them - but as long as you are honest, & update on bad days as well as good, then you'll be fine.

Good luck mate, thanks for being a great pal, & all the best in 2017 to you & your family.  
  • edited December 2016

A visit to the dark side (contd...)

Now had 3 sessions of small ball NLH DYM's.

Session 1 - P5, W4

Session 2 - P4, W3

Session 3 - P10, W8

Sample size makes those numbers meaningless, but the main thing is I am enjoying the new challenge, &, to my great surprise, don't feel out of my depth. Am sticking to £2, £3 & £5 for now. There does seem to be quite a gulf in class & ability between the £2 ones & the bigger ones, but again, it's a bit early to form a judgement.

Can rack up the points nice & quickly, too - played those 10 games this morning in under 90 minutes, without the split pots they finish so much quicker.

I spotted Eon playing the £5 ones, too, but as it turned out, our paths never crossed.
  • edited December 2016

My internet problems are a bit of a headache. It failed completely on Tuesday, was fine yesterday morning, then fell over again last night. This morning it is fine, so it remains to be seen if it will be OK this evening. Quite frustrating, but not the end of the world.   
  • edited December 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Thanks Nick, hope you have a lovely time with the family.   Don't think I'll be playing the UKOPS PLO or PLO8 either. Gill is down with me from the 27th, & whilst she does not mend me playing poker, I'll be spending 3 or 4 hours each day doing the UKOPS blogs, & it seems to me it'd be a little selfish if I start playing poker in the evenings too. Gill likes watching yukky Christmas films, & encourages me to sit & watch them with her. "Go on, you'll like it".   "Err, no I chuffing won't".    A Pompey Diary. I'd really encourage you to do it, & set some targets.  It WILL help you focus, & you'll be encouraged & offered help which things go wrong, as they will from time to time. I've had no end of help when I have explained the poker problems I have encountered from time to time.  There are a few Diary haters here - no idea why, they don't have to read them - but as long as you are honest, & update on bad days as well as good, then you'll be fine.   Good luck mate, thanks for being a great pal, & all the best in 2017 to you & your family.  
    Posted by Tikay10

Good of her to fix you after you've finished your session. Don't need distractions like that during DYMs :)

All the best for Christmas and New Year, Tikay.

• edited December 2016

And you, Mr Plumpy.
  • edited December 2016

A visit to the dark side (cont'd)

The little trial at NLH is still going along nicely, 4 sessions now.....

Session 1 - P5, W4

Session 2 - P4, W3

Session 3 - P10, W8

Session 4 - P15, W 10

So that's P34, W25.

Not a lot of profit, just £31.35, but it's handy enough, & if you saw a £31 note blowing down the street, you'd pick it up, right?

• edited December 2016

My internet problems continued, & were at their worst on Friday. I even purchased a dongle thing, which was a nightmare in itself.

During the course of my Friday session, I used 2 different laptops, wifi, dongle, Download & Browser, wifi, the new dongle, & 2 different locations.

Everything seemed OK, then it suddenly crashed completely. I was regged for £70 worth of games when it fell over, as well as the 2 games I was playing. And I had no internet.....

So I jumped in the car & headed across to the Sky Osterley Office - they have the best internet in the world.

Settled down to play out my session, & then, amazingly, Sky HQ internet fell over, too. How can that happen, it's the Rolls Royce of wifi & Ethernet?

They have a back up, so it was only 30 seconds, but in the interim, all my tables & the Download had closed. 

So I had to wait for the new signal to populate, fire up Sky Poker again, log in again, & try to find all my tables, & get them arranged in the right order. I have to arrange my 6 tables in a particular sequence - clockwise, newest table bottom right, oldest (& most important) table top right. I have to organise my seat, too - it is defaulted to the far left seat on all tables EXCEPT the oldest table, where I rotate my seat to far right. Don't ask, but it's all logical to me, & is the only way I can focus properly when I have 6 tables on the go.

Somehow - no idea how - I managed a £24.50 profit after all that. A right result, that.    

• edited December 2016

I was resigned to not playing again until the New Year, maybe go buy myself a new lappie.

I logged on yesterday morning to see if it was working - & it was. Wow, suddenly it was back to normal.

So that was when I played the 15 game NLH session, making £9.95. Very happy with that.

And last night I played my normal 30 game session of PLO8, & had THE most amazing night.

£2.25 - P2, W0, L2

£3.30, P12, W9, L3

£5.50, P13, W11, L2

£11, P3, W3, L0

That all added up to £75.40 profit, one of my best nights ever at the PLO8 DYM's. Run good, or what?

Add in the tenner from the NLH & that was as good a day as I can ever have at the levels I play at.

Merry Christmas? Just a bit.