You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    It is slightly different but there is one very good Holdem dym reg who does the opposite to you. Let's say the stacks are 4500 4500 1500 1500 He will attack the 4500 stack relentlessly and in doing so also blocks the short stacks from making a move 
    Posted by Jac35
    Good strategy, that, not so much when the 2 shorties have one sixth of a BB between them.

Maybe I'm a bit odd, but when I have a game "locked", there is no way I am ever risking my stack. Seems to be a minority view these days, I see so many odd plays 4 & 5 handed.

We were 5 handed a few days ago at 200-400, we all have equal stacks. I find good aces & pot it, next to act repots. Fair enough. But then a third player repots. He never had a single chip invested in the pot, & now he is all-in. With A-Q-9-4......

And I'll tell you why he did that. He was dealt his hole cards & immediately (& correctly) thought "this is good enough at 200-400". But we have to think in context, & be prepared to change our mind in the light of preceding action. Once it goes pot pot in front of us, even with 6 Bigs, A-Q-9-4 is in the muck in a heartbeat.   

They want to finish 1st - ego, I suppose - I'm more than happy to survive into 3rd. I get paid exactly the same.....

God Bless these boys.     

• edited November 2016
    Yep,

Your situation was different.

You're right in that it's excellent strategy. Before long the other big stack can easily get pulled back into the field
  • edited November 2016
    Yep, Your situation was different. You're right in that it's excellent strategy. Before long the other big stack can easily get pulled back into the field
    Posted by Jac35
    In the situation YOU describe, it's good meta-game - he knows the other Big Stack is effectively sitting out to preserve his position, so he gets a free shot.
  • edited November 2016

Variance continues to amuse, bemuse & fascinate me.

I have been running way above expectation since early September, never made so much profit in such a short time. 

Much of it has come from the biggest game in the PLO8 DYM's - the £16.50's, where I have won 14 of the last 15, including the last 11 in a row, 5 of them last night. That's run-good, no two ways about it.

Due to severe computer problems, I only played 22 games last night, so having won 5 @ £16.50, you'd think I'd make a good profit on the night. Not so, I made just £9.

Here is the rather bizarre P & L of last night's games;

£1 - Played 1, Lost 1 (Regged in error actually)

£2.25 - P1, Lost 0

£3.30, P6, Lost 3

£5.50, P4, Lost 4

£11, P5, Lost 4

£16.50, P5, Lost 0

So, allowing for Reg Fees, I lost at every level except £16.50. (Edit, made £2 @ the £2.25). 

Amazing thing, variance.
  • edited November 2016
    They respect your raises at £16.50s
  • edited November 2016
    They respect your raises at £16.50s
    Posted by Jac35
    Quite right too, I've always got it, though I am prone to the odd misclick when I see an orphaned pot which nobody seems interested in.

I got caught a treat last night when nobody bet the Q-Q-10 flop, & I misclicked bet on the Turn. Churchy was waiting for me, & gave it the old heave-ho.

Comes to something when a man can't misclick without being punished.

Shocking behaviour really.  
  • edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Quite right too, I've always got it, though I am prone to the odd misclick when I see an orphaned pot which nobody seems interested in.   I got caught a treat last night when nobody bet the Q-Q-10 flop, & I misclicked bet on the Turn. Churchy was waiting for me, & gave it the old heave-ho.   Comes to something when a man can't misclick without being punished.   Shocking behaviour really.  
    Posted by Tikay10
       Hmm, that is what I should have done on the KK flop when I had you out kicked ,  ah well, always tonight.
  • edited November 2016

Ha, well I DID have a King.......just a very small one.

Good fold, Pommy, very good fold. I'd have got there, you know that.
  • edited November 2016
    Ha, well I DID have a King.......just a very small one. Good fold, Pommy, very good fold. I'd have got there, you know that.
    Posted by Tikay10

Yes, you usually do. But sometimes even having it/getting there can end up in a quarter.
  • edited November 2016
    It is slightly different but there is one very good Holdem dym reg who does the opposite to you. Let's say the stacks are 4500 4500 1500 1500 He will attack the 4500 stack relentlessly and in doing so also blocks the short stacks from making a move 
    Posted by Jac35

This is the key, way too many times I see shorties being given free reign to attack the BB
  • edited December 2016

I forgot to welcome a returnee to our table, blankcheck, who was AWOL for 4 or 5 years but returned mid-November.

Lovely guy, and a really good player. I don't "table select", I just reg for everything, but if he is in the game, the potential value reduces considerably, he's very good indeed.

There was a "new face" this week, too, bigpimp, which is an interesting alias. I resisted the urge to comment on his alias, & just welcomed him to the table.

Then he posed the oh so embarrassing question, "are you the real tikay?"

I never know quite how to reply go that, but once we'd sort of sorted it out, it turned out I know him very well from another forum, where he is a very good tipster on Italian football.

Always good to see fresh faces.    

• edited December 2016

I mentioned on Monday how embarrassingly well I was running, though I managed to lose all 4 games at £5.

Tuesday, I won 11 out of 15 @ £5, a complete turnaround. No games ran at £16.50, but I just shaded the 7 £11 games 4-3, for a £3 profit, oioi. So this time the £5 games kept me ticking along nicely.

Amazing how it varies so from night to night.

This period of run-good really is astonishing, & I'm starting to believe I simply can't lose at the game.

Always a dangerous mindset that, as last night was to prove.
  • edited December 2016

Wednesday? Carnage, utter carnage.

I somehow managed to lose the first 10 games on the trot, & go £49 down. If we add in the last game on Tuesday (an £11er) that made an eleven game losing streak.

How is that even possible? ELEVEN in a row.

For the most part, I don't think I did too much wrong. In one game, 4 handed, I had 4,500, & one chap had 200. I lost that one. I managed to lose two games in a row to one outers after incredibly optimistic calls by oppo. And I made a few bad plays I guess.

I had some computer issues, so I logged off after losing the first 10, tail well & truly between legs.

I returned an hour later, played another 20 which I split 10-10  for a whole £4 profit. Played so-so, but got my timing all wrong, & kept raising into whoppers.

Whatever way we look at it, P30, L20, W10 makes bad reading, not to mention £45 down the swanee, my worst night in yonks. So now I have to try to win £45 just to get back to where I was. 

Still, at least I have paid off a small chunk of my run-good overdraft. More payments will no doubt follow, you know how these things tend to go in "runs".

Stupid game.   

• edited December 2016

I lost one game in the first orbit, after getting it all in pre (we both had full stacks) with my really good aces by the somewhat eccentric 6-6-7-7.

It turned out that the fella thought two pairs in his hand was better than any one pair hand. He then managed to lose the game after getting all-in with J-J-J-6. "I had a set" he typed.

Quite so Sir, quite so.
  • edited December 2016
    It is amazing how it goes, the last couple of weeks have not been great, I have lost around a hundred pounds, this includes a few all in tries for the big tournaments. Then the last three days I am seventy pounds up. All the fifty fifties have gone my way, I have been patient, made the right decisions on calls and folds.
    The game just knows how to sit you back down when you get too high and surprises you just when you need it to.
    Emotions, that old foe can be a problem. occasionally, when I am not playing well, or, get impatient, It is all too easy to give up and push a button and hope. You forget that it is actual money you are giving away with the optimistic call or shove.
     I however was amazed the other night when one chap almost let you back in an £11 game by just calling pre every hand. only four of us left, you were 1400 we were all over 3000 and yet he wanted everyone's chips instead of just beating up the small stack. I think in the end you got back to parity with him but lost to one of those 50/50 which you were actually 75/25 ahead. 
    I lost my last game last night, it probably was avoidable , but Churchy turns up with such a Heinz 57 variety sometimes, that I just did not believe he had the ace high heart flush, for the second hand in a row, to beat my king high flush. Serves me right.
    A couple of players I have not come up against before brings new interest to our nightly games.
    See you tonight
  • edited December 2016
    Then he posed the oh so embarrassing question, "are you the real tikay?"

Not quite so flattering when he says 

"Oh goody, glad you're still playing"
  • edited December 2016
    I lost one game in the first orbit, after getting it all in pre (we both had full stacks) with my really good aces by the somewhat eccentric 6-6-7-7. It turned out that the fella thought two pairs in his hand was better than any one pair hand. He then managed to lose the game after getting all-in with J-J-J-6. "I had a set" he typed. Quite so Sir, quite so.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Nothing wrong with that hand
    I seem to remember a game a couple of nights ago where you were egging me on to steal AJ's BB.
    I raised with 6677, he repotted it and i ended up busting him (sorry AJ, Tikays fault) :-)
  • edited December 2016
    It is amazing how it goes, the last couple of weeks have not been great, I have lost around a hundred pounds, this includes a few all in tries for the big tournaments. Then the last three days I am seventy pounds up. All the fifty fifties have gone my way, I have been patient, made the right decisions on calls and folds. The game just knows how to sit you back down when you get too high and surprises you just when you need it to. Emotions, that old foe can be a problem. occasionally, when I am not playing well, or, get impatient, It is all too easy to give up and push a button and hope. You forget that it is actual money you are giving away with the optimistic call or shove.  I however was amazed the other night when one chap almost let you back in an £11 game by just calling pre every hand. only four of us left, you were 1400 we were all over 3000 and yet he wanted everyone's chips instead of just beating up the small stack. I think in the end you got back to parity with him but lost to one of those 50/50 which you were actually 75/25 ahead.  I lost my last game last night, it probably was avoidable , but Churchy turns up with such a Heinz 57 variety sometimes, that I just did not believe he had the ace high heart flush, for the second hand in a row, to beat my king high flush. Serves me right. A couple of players I have not come up against before brings new interest to our nightly games. See you tonight
    Posted by pompeynic

Morning Nick.

Variance is so cruel at times, & I see you did not run too well last night either - think maybe you did the wise thing by calling it quits early doors.

Churchy? I can pretty much predict what most players will do in a given spot, & if they get it in, I know pretty much what sort of range they go to war with, when, & why. Except Brian, who scares the life out of me & makes really unorthodox plays. And if it works for him, good luck to him. I certainly call him wider than I do most players, but that's the beauty of his game, he's as likely to have it as not.   
  • edited December 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Nothing wrong with that hand I seem to remember a game a couple of nights ago where you were egging me on to steal AJ's BB. I raised with 6677, he repotted it and i ended up busting him (sorry AJ, Tikays fault) :-)
    Posted by VespaPX
    Happened again last night, Mr Optimistic got it all in pre, Level 1, with 5-5-6-6. He hit his 5, but I hit my set of Aces & busted him, whereupon he said I was "so lucky".

A real Friday night on the tables last night, epic scenes.

• edited December 2016

I AM A ROBOT

Very odd turn of events last night, when a regular on the O8 player pool suddenly accused me of being a robot.

The convo went something like this.....

Are you a robot?

(No answer, as we did not know who he was addressing)

No answer, so you are a robot.

Depends who you are addressing mate, if you don't name the player how do we know who you are talking to?

You, obviously

Ha, no, I'm not a robot

Typical robot reply, proves it

Ahh, gotcha

You would say that if you were a robot

I would?

You must be a robot, you are on 3 tables

6 actually

6 tables? Proves you are a robot

Well players like DontTellMum & Melty play 15 or 20 tables at a time

So Sky Poker allow robots then?

I give up, enjoy your game m8

Proves you are a robot

• edited December 2016
    I AM A ROBOT Very odd turn of events last night, when a regular on the O8 player pool suddenly accused me of being a robot. The convo went something like this..... Are you a robot? (No answer, as we did not know who he was addressing) No answer, so you are a robot. Depends who you are addressing mate, if you don't name the player how do we know who you are talking to? You, obviously Ha, no, I'm not a robot Typical robot reply, proves it Ahh, gotcha You would say that if you were a robot I would? You must be a robot, you are on 3 tables 6 actually 6 tables? Proves you are a robot Well players like DontTellMum & Melty play 15 or 20 tables at a time So Sky Poker allow robots then? I give up, enjoy your game m8 Proves you are a robot    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Don't take it to heart. Hendrik62 gets like that sometimes after a couple of beers
  • edited December 2016

Variance visited me again last night, & was in THE most wonderful mood. If I had won the last game of the night, I'd have cleared £100 of profit in a single session, maybe my best night ever in these.

Unrepeatable numbers, these....

£2.25, P3, W2, L1

£3.30, P12, W10, L2

£5.50, P7, W4, L3

£11, P10, W7, L3

£16.50, P2, W2, L0

Very rare I do a clean sweep of profit at all 5 buy ins, & it'll be a very long time before I have another night like that.

On Wednesday, of course, it was the exact opposite, when I lost the first 10 on the bounce, & knocked in £45. 

Funny old game.

On the points front, I have 1,157, & the target is 1,500, for £22.50. It'll be touch & go, but we'll give it a try.

Have a great weekend. Gonna watch England v Australia Rugby today - that'll not be for the faint of heart - & then see what mood Miss Variance is in tonight.    

• edited December 2016
    I AM A ROBOT Very odd turn of events last night, when a regular on the O8 player pool suddenly accused me of being a robot. The convo went something like this..... Are you a robot? (No answer, as we did not know who he was addressing) No answer, so you are a robot. Depends who you are addressing mate, if you don't name the player how do we know who you are talking to? You, obviously Ha, no, I'm not a robot Typical robot reply, proves it Ahh, gotcha You would say that if you were a robot I would? You must be a robot, you are on 3 tables 6 actually 6 tables? Proves you are a robot Well players like DontTellMum & Melty play 15 or 20 tables at a time So Sky Poker allow robots then? I give up, enjoy your game m8 Proves you are a robot    
    Posted by Tikay10
    A compliment indeed.

• edited December 2016
    Variance visited me again last night, & was in THE most wonderful mood. If I had won the last game of the night, I'd have cleared £100 of profit in a single session, maybe my best night ever in these.   Unrepeatable numbers, these.... £2.25, P3, W2, L1 £3.30, P12, W10, L2 £5.50, P7, W4, L3 £11, P10, W7, L3 £16.50, P2, W2, L0 Very rare I do a clean sweep of profit at all 5 buy ins, & it'll be a very long time before I have another night like that. On Wednesday, of course, it was the exact opposite, when I lost the first 10 on the bounce, & knocked in £45.  Funny old game.   On the points front, I have 1,157, & the target is 1,500, for £22.50. It'll be touch & go, but we'll give it a try.   Have a great weekend. Gonna watch England v Australia Rugby today - that'll not be for the faint of heart - & then see what mood Miss Variance is in tonight.       
    Posted by Tikay10
    Great results Tikay! Wp
  • edited December 2016
    Posted by Tikay10

Welcome to my world.

• edited December 2016
  • edited December 2016
    Must be a robot.

Easy code to write as well...

IF hand <> AA23ds Then Fold()

;-)
  • edited December 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Welcome to my world.
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Just what a robot would say
  • edited December 2016

Teeks, this hand is bugging me. Hope you don't mind me posting it here for your readers views. If you think it should be in the clinic would have no problem if you move it.
        I really did not know what to do in this spot.

Gollygosh Small blind   50.00 50.00 600.00
    yeahbutno Big blind   100.00 150.00 3590.00
      Your hole cards
    • A

eon1961 Fold     
    tikay1 Raise   350.00 500.00 1415.00
    pomfrittes Call   350.00 850.00 3900.00
    Gollygosh All-in   600.00 1450.00 0.00
    yeahbutno Fold     
    tikay1 All-in   1415.00 2865.00 0.00

• edited December 2016
                                          Teeks, this hand is bugging me. Hope you don't mind me posting it here for your readers views. If you think it should be in the clinic would have no problem if you move it.     I really did not know what to do in this spot.                                                                    
                                      Posted by pomfrittes
                                      It's probably supposed to be an ICM fold.

I probably click call anyway, because folding is no fun, and A267ds looks pretty.