You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited September 2016

Quick update, heading into Sunday, the day I draw the line each week.

On Monday, I made a healthy £30.50, but things got a bit choppy as the week wore on.....
  • edited September 2016

Tuesday was one of those all too predictable bad nights, when I knocked it in a treat. The result was a nasty £47.20 loss. When you lose all 3 @ £11 & the only one at £!6.50, as well as 6 from 10 @ £5.50, a sub £50 loss is almost a good result.

£2.25, P2 W2, L0

£3.30, P14, W10, L4

£5.50, P10, W4, L6

£11, P3, W0, L3

£16.50, P1, W0, L1
  • edited September 2016
    As it's a decent sample, I suggest you just play £2.25s and £3.30s
  • edited September 2016

Wednesday I got home late from Leeds, & then my PC decided to do an Update.

Thought it would take 5 minutes, but as succession of messages follows.....

This may take a while

Soon be done

Nearly done

Almost complete

Now complete - installation will follow

Just checking a few things, then you'll be good to go

Almost ready now.....

And so it continued. For an hour.

It was the last night of the Premiership week, too, & I was hanging on grimly to the £25 spot, so it was a tad frustrating. 

With the very late start, I only managed 17 games (& lost £18.75 getting there) so that did not bode well for the Premiership leaderboard. So, I decided to play a bit of cash, & fired up 3 x £0.10 - £0.20 PLO cash tables. That worked out well, as I made £19.26, covering my DYM losses for the session, & also I managed to hold onto the £25 spot in the Premiership, so that was quite a result really.

The cash was weird, I did not know any of the players & so had no notes, so I sat quietly for 20 mins or so & watched tricks. With just 3 tables, I could focus well, too. Once I found my feet, & worked out ranges, I felt quite comfy. One guy was sat at all 3 tables & had the lot, they were 10-20p tables, so max pull up £20, & he had £259 on one table,. & over £100 on the other two. His name was the rather puntastic MrBlewPie, might have been Jeff Lynne. Had a Dublin field address iirc. Seemed a nice chap, too, we chatted a bit & he seemed gracious to everyone. I would happily have played PLO Spin Up Tables, but there was no traffic. The cash session deffo helped me hold onto the Prem £25. Might try it again when they have Rewards Accelerator going & I'm short of points.  

Eventually, the tables broke, leaving me heads up v him on all 3 tables. I don't table select as a rule, but I just felt he might be a bit too hot for me HU, so I wished him goodnight, & he said thanks for the game. Lovely chap.

£2.25 P1, W0, L1

£3.30, P10, W6, L4

£5.50, P4, W1, L3

£11, P1, W1, L0

£16.50, P1, W0, L1    

So the DYM's cost me £18.85, but I won £19.26 @ cash, & then, the next morning, I found I had hung on to the £25 spot on the Prem Leaderboard.

Not so bad then.

• edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    As it's a decent sample, I suggest you just play £2.25s and £3.30s
    Posted by Jac35
    Shush. When I want advice, I'll ask a good player, such as Matt Bates.
  • edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Shush. When I want advice, I'll ask a good player, such as Matt Bates.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Sigh
    I'd just about recovered from this. Matt very kindly send me a virtual hug and I was ok.
    You've opened the wound again
  • edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Sigh I'd just about recovered from this. Matt very kindly send me a virtual hug and I was ok. You've opened the wound again
    Posted by Jac35
    Last time Matt hugged me he wrapped himself round my knee, it was a bit like being seen to by a fruity dog.
  • edited September 2016

Clawed back £20.35 on Thursday.

£2.25, P3, W0, L3

£3.30, P18, W13, L5

£5.50, P8, W5, L3

£11, P1, W0, L1

£16.50, P1, W1, L0
  • edited September 2016
    Just a thought-could it be that your success at the £3.30s might be due to 3 people going out before you've played a hand?
  • edited September 2016

Just a short session on Friday, as I needed to quit by 8pm, as Gill was coming down for the weekend.

Had a great session & won £31.30 from just 14 games, which is a great win-rate. The profit came from winning both £16.50 games.

£2.25, P2, W1, L1

£3.30, P4, W2, L2

£5.50, P4, W3, L1

£11, P2, W1, L1

£16.50, P2, W2, L0

• edited September 2016

The topsy-turvy week continued on Saturday, another short session, but I gave up most of Friday's profits with a £24.30 loss.

£3.30, P11, W6, L5

£5.50, P5, W3, L2

£11, P1, W0, L1

£16.50, P1, W0, L1

So I head into Sunday with the balance £38 higher than it opened on Monday. If I can hold onto most of that, I'll be well pleased. Should make around £8 in Rewards money, too, so that's a bit of insurance against a bad night.

Enjoy your Sunday.  
  • edited September 2016

If my friend Nick (pompeynic) should read this, or if anyone is on Facebook with him, he has a PM from me.
  • edited September 2016
    If my friend Nick (pompeynic) should read this, or if anyone is on Facebook with him, he has a PM from me.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi Tony.
    Thanks for taking the time to send me a message, for some reason I seem to be unable to either reply or send a new message to you. I very much appreciate the message.
    Thanks
    Nick
    ******* Hopefully I have now managed to send you a reply.
  • edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Hi Tony. Thanks for taking the time to send me a message, for some reason I seem to be unable to either reply or send a new message to you. I very much appreciate the message. Thanks Nick ******* Hopefully I have now managed to send you a reply.
    Posted by pompeynic
    Morning Nick,

Sorry, but I've not received that message.

I don't NEED a reply though. It'd be nice, of course it would, but don't worry about replying.

See you soon mate, & have a great weekend.

• edited October 2016
    Hi Tony,
    "Chin up M8, It will turn eventually" These were some of the last words you typed in the chat box to me the other night. Lady luck is a fickle filly, we all know that, sometimes she smiles and everything in the world is tickety boo, sometimes she stamps her feet and throws a tantrum and heaven help you if you cross her path at that time.
    Well Sunday evening I decided to have another go at trying to make her smile and tried a few all in satellites at £1.80 for the 5K BH, In the second one I played I thought I glimpsed her pearly white teeth, I got heads up with a 3-1 chip lead..... three foot stamps later congratulations you finished second, a small cash prize was my reward. undeterred I tried a few more and yes you guessed it I once again finished second for a small cash and did not get into the tournament.
    I had managed to cover all my buy ins with the two small cashes so decided to have one last go at an all in and tried for the 15K Sunday main. Would you believe it, the lovely lady smiled on me and I won entry into the tournament with my first go......Yippee. I love the Sunday main, just do not get to play it very often these days.
    To cut a long story short at sometime after midnight Mattprawn was donated my last 20K chips , which he used to go on and finish second with, but, I was more than happy with my 24th placed finish for £158.65. It does not get back all the losses I have had recently but I am very very happy with that.
    So to all of us who go through the pain , the phrase "chin up M8, it will turn eventually" is a mantra we must tell ourselves and others over and over again. 
    Thanks Tony

Nick
  • edited October 2016
    Hi Tony, "Chin up M8, It will turn eventually" These were some of the last words you typed in the chat box to me the other night. Lady luck is a fickle filly, we all know that, sometimes she smiles and everything in the world is tickety boo, sometimes she stamps her feet and throws a tantrum and heaven help you if you cross her path at that time. Well Sunday evening I decided to have another go at trying to make her smile and tried a few all in satellites at £1.80 for the 5K BH, In the second one I played I thought I glimpsed her pearly white teeth, I got heads up with a 3-1 chip lead..... three foot stamps later congratulations you finished second, a small cash prize was my reward. undeterred I tried a few more and yes you guessed it I once again finished second for a small cash and did not get into the tournament. I had managed to cover all my buy ins with the two small cashes so decided to have one last go at an all in and tried for the 15K Sunday main. Would you believe it, the lovely lady smiled on me and I won entry into the tournament with my first go......Yippee. I love the Sunday main, just do not get to play it very often these days. To cut a long story short at sometime after midnight Mattprawn was donated my last 20K chips , which he used to go on and finish second with, but, I was more than happy with my 24th placed finish for £158.65. It does not get back all the losses I have had recently but I am very very happy with that. So to all of us who go through the pain , the phrase "chin up M8, it will turn eventually" is a mantra we must tell ourselves and others over and over again.  Thanks Tony Nick
    Posted by pompeynic

^^^^^Like

• edited October 2016
    Hi Tony, "Chin up M8, It will turn eventually" These were some of the last words you typed in the chat box to me the other night. Lady luck is a fickle filly, we all know that, sometimes she smiles and everything in the world is tickety boo, sometimes she stamps her feet and throws a tantrum and heaven help you if you cross her path at that time. Well Sunday evening I decided to have another go at trying to make her smile and tried a few all in satellites at £1.80 for the 5K BH, In the second one I played I thought I glimpsed her pearly white teeth, I got heads up with a 3-1 chip lead..... three foot stamps later congratulations you finished second, a small cash prize was my reward. undeterred I tried a few more and yes you guessed it I once again finished second for a small cash and did not get into the tournament. I had managed to cover all my buy ins with the two small cashes so decided to have one last go at an all in and tried for the 15K Sunday main. Would you believe it, the lovely lady smiled on me and I won entry into the tournament with my first go......Yippee. I love the Sunday main, just do not get to play it very often these days. To cut a long story short at sometime after midnight Mattprawn was donated my last 20K chips , which he used to go on and finish second with, but, I was more than happy with my 24th placed finish for £158.65. It does not get back all the losses I have had recently but I am very very happy with that. So to all of us who go through the pain , the phrase "chin up M8, it will turn eventually" is a mantra we must tell ourselves and others over and over again.  Thanks Tony Nick
    Posted by pompeynic
    Sorry for the delayed reply, Nick been a bit busy with this & that.

That's a grand post, & great news, I could not be more delighted.

Variance is such a powerful thing, & it affects us all. But the better players generally survive, & the results eventually come. For the record, I saw almost every one of those bad beats, as we play pretty much the same games, but you never once complained or pointed your finger at software, idiot plays, the weather or whatever. 

I guess I probably inflicted a few, too, but they would all have been standard "play themselves" spots. Given equal stacks & no pressure from the blinds, if you & I get the lot in pre, we can pretty much forecast each other's hands, & they'll mostly be standard flips.

I don't generally sympathise with folks who take bad beats. They are part of poker, we need to get used to it.

That last one you took though was just horrible. The villain had 7,000 chips & was locked, he could not lose. Think he raised into you with 7-6-6-5 or similar, & you had the goods, but he somehow got there.

He's entitled to mess about, of course, & we want him to in some ways. Makes no sense to me though, it just does not. If I have 7,000 chips 4 handed, I leave the 3 shorties to sort it out amongst themselves, unless I have a super premium. It seems rather vindictive to chase the shorties around, & Karma is always watching us. Next game we might be the shortie.

And here's the thing - after he bust you in such an ugly manner, he appeared contrite, "ouch, very very sorry Nick". Well if he feels that way, why even play the hand in the first place?

Anyway, chuffed to bits you had a nice cash from the Sunday Major. You'll be fine once Miss Variance is in a better mood.    
  • edited October 2016
    Did anyone see what happened in the Thursday Hitman main last night?
    When you're smiling, when you're smiling the whole world smiles with you......
  • edited October 2016

^^^^

Wowzer.

You won it, & got £1,582?

SCOOPIO

That perks up the account balance nicely, eh?

It's amazing, isn't it, how variance messes about with us. But if we are good enough, it all squares up eventually.

Great stuff, chuffed to bits. Withdraw a lump & buy a few treats.

PS - Guess we'll see you on the PL08 Tables this weekend, then. I'll try to avoid any of that "ugly stuff".......
  • edited October 2016
    Did anyone see what happened in the Thursday Hitman main last night? When you're smiling, when you're smiling the whole world smiles with you......
    Posted by pompeynic
    Hi Nic

One piece of advice, play more holdem lol (but its not as fun is it)

PS vvwp
  • edited October 2016
    Many congrats nic
  • edited October 2016
    VWP

Play up Pompey!
  • edited October 2016
    That's a great result, wp Nic!
  • edited October 2016
    wp nic just need a portsmouth promotion push
  • edited October 2016
    wp nic just need a portsmouth promotion push
    Posted by stokefc
    Now that's just being silly. More chance of Stoke City staying up this season.
  • edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Now that's just being silly. More chance of Stoke City staying up this season.
    Posted by Tikay10
    easy , if man u conna beat us , well , you know
  • edited October 2016
    Vwp pompey keep it up and gl
  • edited October 2016
    Well done Nic, nice to see. 
  • edited October 2016
  • edited October 2016
    Tikay I think you mentioned that I was running well last night (I did for a time, against you anyway). Well this was my last hand of the night.

This hand was on the final table of the £5.50 plo8 MTT, I'm 3rd in chips I think with two small stacks one of whom is literally fumes (less than 3x BB). So 6 left and 5 get paid.

Mid position flats pre so I see a free flop. I think I'm doomed from that point on, here's how it plays out

Flopped the nuts, no low possible, still have the nuts on the turn and get all my stack in the middle. Matey has top set and rivers FH.

My question is should I have played this differently and been able to get away on a paired/flushing river? I'm trying to win the tourney after all but just a bit of a sickener as I'm sure I would have folded to the cash had I not been allowed to flop the nuts.

Hand History #1085740711 (22:40 06/10/2016)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Ice_Tiger Small blind   800.00 800.00 1678.72
    Enut Big blind   1600.00 2400.00 15585.31
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • Q

Mr_Udigawa Fold     
    Whizzewky Fold     
                xxx           Call   1600.00 4000.00 19930.02
    its-a-fix Fold     
    Ice_Tiger Fold     
    Enut Check     
    Flop

• K
    • J

Enut Check     
                xxx          Bet   2000.00 6000.00 17930.02
    Enut Call   2000.00 8000.00 13585.31
    Turn

Enut Check     
                xxx          Bet   4000.00 12000.00 13930.02
    Enut All-in   13585.31 25585.31 0.00
                xxx          Call   9585.31 35170.62 4344.71
    Enut Show
    • J
    • Q

xxx          Show
    • K
    • K

River

• J

xxx          Win high Full House, Kings and Jacks 35170.62   39515.33
      No qualifying low hand