You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited September 2016
    Very well done Tikay, 200 to 3k. Your still the main man and probably always wil be!

Love how you constantly adapt to different player styles and basically adapt to the times and still turnover a profit.

Very admirable indeed.

Ger
  • edited September 2016

^^^^^

Beaudhchais Mr Ger.

Will reply further tomorrow, am working tonight.
  • edited September 2016
    You know now your no longer Tikay, your Trikay! hehe

• edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Way too many..... Wish I had more time, I'd bore everyone to death with some of the tales from Walsall & the like. We came back from the break in one big Walsall event, just 2 tables left in a biggie, & of the 7 players on my table, three never returned from the break, which was a bit odd.   Later it emerged - dare I say news filtered through? - that there had been a police raid during the break & they'd all been arrested for some cigarette smuggling coup.   I'll also reply on Ice Tigers thread about a bizarre happening at Walsall during an APAT thing. It all ended rather badly for one clot of the highest order.  
    Posted by Tikay10

Iv seen it all and more at Wasall....
  • edited September 2016
    Celebration time (of sorts) as a few days ago - Friday to be exact - my little challenge reached it's 3rd Birthday. On September 2nd 2013, I deposited £200, & I've neither deposited or withdrawn since. The current balance is £3,019.41.   That sounds a lot of money - well it IS a lot of money - but I'm not sure I have much to crow about considering it has taken 3 whole years to get there. I'd also estimate - pure guesswork - that at least a third, maybe a half of it came from Rewards money, Promos bonuses & the like.   For context, again just guessing, but I reckon I have spent some 600 evenings playing, so that would mean a measly £5 per evening. Looked at another way, I've played around 2,000 hours to earn just shy of £3,000, which is £1.50 per hour. Not exactly crushing, eh? In other trivia, if I have played some 17,000 DYM's in those 3 years. If they averaged £5.50, (probably slightly less) that means I have invested some £93,000 to earn that £3,000. Not a great return, is it? Rake? About £8,500 paid. Yikes. Just imagine, £93,000, it beggars belief, doesn't it?    The other side of those coins though is that I've had immense fun, & made a bunch of friends (& a few enemies) & it has cost me nothing. A really intense hobby that costs nothing. Really? How good is that? It's a little embarrassing that a man of my age wastes several hours every night clicking buttons & playing smallball poker. Then again, it keeps my mind active, keeps me out of mischief, & I absolutely relish the challenge. It's something I enjoy. A lot. And, if we can't do what we enjoy in the autumn, early winter even of our lives, it's a bad do I reckon.   Not sure how long I will continue. I'm beginning to fret about my mental dexterity & concentration levels. Like our bodily parts, they shrink with age you know.   Anyway, a big thank you to everyone who has helped along the way & made the journey such fun.        
    Posted by Tikay10

GREAT post TK.
    You can't put a price on enjoyment.  Plus, you've kept quite a few of us enthralled/mildly interested in your quest. ;-)

• edited September 2016
    Celebration time (of sorts) as a few days ago - Friday to be exact - my little challenge reached it's 3rd Birthday. On September 2nd 2013, I deposited £200, & I've neither deposited or withdrawn since. The current balance is £3,019.41.   That sounds a lot of money - well it IS a lot of money - but I'm not sure I have much to crow about considering it has taken 3 whole years to get there. I'd also estimate - pure guesswork - that at least a third, maybe a half of it came from Rewards money, Promos bonuses & the like.   For context, again just guessing, but I reckon I have spent some 600 evenings playing, so that would mean a measly £5 per evening. Looked at another way, I've played around 2,000 hours to earn just shy of £3,000, which is £1.50 per hour. Not exactly crushing, eh? In other trivia, if I have played some 17,000 DYM's in those 3 years. If they averaged £5.50, (probably slightly less) that means I have invested some £93,000 to earn that £3,000. Not a great return, is it? Rake? About £8,500 paid. Yikes. Just imagine, £93,000, it beggars belief, doesn't it?    The other side of those coins though is that I've had immense fun, & made a bunch of friends (& a few enemies) & it has cost me nothing. A really intense hobby that costs nothing. Really? How good is that? It's a little embarrassing that a man of my age wastes several hours every night clicking buttons & playing smallball poker. Then again, it keeps my mind active, keeps me out of mischief, & I absolutely relish the challenge. It's something I enjoy. A lot. And, if we can't do what we enjoy in the autumn, early winter even of our lives, it's a bad do I reckon.   Not sure how long I will continue. I'm beginning to fret about my mental dexterity & concentration levels. Like our bodily parts, they shrink with age you know.   Anyway, a big thank you to everyone who has helped along the way & made the journey such fun.        
    Posted by Tikay10

A completely  and unabridged wonderful quality  post.

• edited September 2016
    Thank you for the reply Tikay.  I've just picked up your e-mail too, which I will reply to tomorrow.

Things are great, with all these fab promos sky keep putting on I'm finding myself playing more than ever, which is way way to much.  Just when one stops, another one begins so here am trying to smash the happy days, although the balance would suggest today hasn't been to happy.

Really enjoyed the show tonight.  Jack was a great guest.  Reached the top of his sport and still modest and very down to earth.  'Success has made failures of many men' (Cindy Adams) but certainly not in Jacks case.

When are we going to see your priority quest come to fruition?  I'm not going to let you forget ;)

• edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : GREAT post TK. You can't put a price on enjoyment.  Plus, you've kept quite a few of us enthralled/mildly interested in your quest. ;-)
    Posted by Glenelg
    Damned with faint praise. Love it.

;)
  • edited September 2016
    Thank you for the reply Tikay.  I've just picked up your e-mail too, which I will reply to tomorrow. Things are great, with all these fab promos sky keep putting on I'm finding myself playing more than ever, which is way way to much.  Just when one stops, another one begins so here am trying to smash the happy days, although the balance would suggest today hasn't been to happy. Really enjoyed the show tonight.  Jack was a great guest.  Reached the top of his sport and still modest and very down to earth.  'Success has made failures of many men' (Cindy Adams) but certainly not in Jacks case. When are we going to see your priority quest come to fruition?  I'm not going to let you forget ;)
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Have to say, some of these Promos are really addictive, & make us all want to play more.

I never entered the Premiership thing originally, but there were such a lot of negative feedback queries that I decided to enter just so I could get a proper feel for how it worked etc. Now I'm busy F5-ing every day to see how I am getting on. I was mildly miffed that I had to work last night & so missed a session. I was on £25 the day before, so I was whittling that I'd lost £25, whilst conveniently ignoring my Show Fee, which is rather more than that. Proper poker player me, want my cake & eat it, bread buttered both sides etc. Have to say, some of the complaints about the timing of various promos, especially the Prio ones, have blown me away. The least said the better, I think.

Last night's Show - yes, I thought Jack was a really smashing lad. A good role model in so many ways. Liked him enormously, & he never seemed to have an ounce of bitterness at his ill-fortune. It took away 10 years of his career & probably cost him £10 to £20 million, but he seemed content with how life had panned out for him. Love folks who don't have that terribly misplaced sense of entitlement that so many poker players have. 

Me make Prio? Ha, it's on my little bucket list, it really is. Time is an issue, until Upstairs decide it's time for me to move on, maybe then I could do it. And in my current format - PLO8 DYM's, not enough games run, & the average stake is only around a fiver, so it's just not possible.

I have been giving thought to trying some NLH DYM's. I see Grumpy Jac earned 1,000 points last night - I could never do that in PLO8, it'd take me best part of a week. I fear the £20 & up NLH DYM's might have too many "regulars" for me & they'd run over me. Do you reckon I could hack it at, say, the £10 level though? I'm way out of touch with NLH ranges of course, but half the battle in these things is understanding DYM dynamics, & I think I'd be OK in that department.

It is deffo on my bucket list though. As are so many things......   

• edited September 2016

Last night's session; - this is what happens when the trio of 1) playing poorly, 2) running bad & 3) a dose of negative variance all gang up on us at once.....

£2.25, P3, W1, L2

£3.30, P19, W5 (FIVE) L 14 (FOURTEEN)

£5.50 P9, W4, L5

£11, P2, W1, L1.

I'm taking the 1-1 draw in the £11ers as a positive. It's the best I can manage.

Oh, & bye bye £46.95.

Highlight of the session was Mr Optimistic who wanted to get his full stack in pre with the old 9-4-3-3. He was right, too.

See you later for - one hopes - the recovery mission.
  • edited September 2016

I have been toying with the idea of adding a few NLH DYM's to my session when the PLO8 games are a bit quiet. It's especially relevant during Happy Days of course when we can really rack up the Reward Points.

I'm out of touch with NLH ranges & stuff, but can make up some of that deficit with a reasonable grasp of DYM logic. I'm sure, just as in PLO8, there are players who limp in every hand, even at 200-400, & all that stuff.

With the games a bit quiet last night, & a late night in prospect as I planned to watch the NFL game at 0130 as I had a bet on it, I tentatively opened the NLH Lobby & had a look at the £11 & £22 games. For those of us who play PLO8 DYM's, we rarely see games above £5.50, so the Reward Points were really tempting.

First game I looked at, an £11er, had Nutter5932 & JMcririck both registered. Next game, same 2.

Err, think I'll pass on that ta.

If it had been Grumpy Jac & Plump Percy I may have had a dabble, but no such luck.

• edited September 2016
    Tikay quick question

How do you play hands such as KK23 QQ23, i find myself folding these most situations. Is there any situation that these hands would suit best or are they better like i said just a fold.
  • edited September 2016
    Surely blind stealers?
    Posted by chilling
    Any hand can be blind stealers
  • edited September 2016
    In position I'm raising all day with both. OOP I'm getting in cheap and seeing a flop, prob folding to a raise.

Again, would prob play it different depending on whether it's a DYM/MTT and what stage we are at.
  • edited September 2016
    Tikay quick question How do you play hands such as KK23 QQ23, i find myself folding these most situations. Is there any situation that these hands would suit best or are they better like i said just a fold.
    Posted by stuarty117
    I'm not mad on them, to be honest, though the 2-3 danglers are a sort of insurance against the Ace falling. Really, PLO & PLO8 are not "one pair" games, are they? In O8, we must have balanced hands wherever possible.

I do play them on occasion during late stages, 4 handed with big blinds, as at that point, really we are just blind stealing & paying the rent, & most shoves at 150-300 up get through uncalled.

That advice comes to you free from the man who played 19 games @ £3.30 last night & lost 14 of them. Priceless.

• edited September 2016
    In position I'm raising all day with both. OOP I'm getting in cheap and seeing a flop, prob folding to a raise. Again, would prob play it different depending on whether it's a DYM/MTT and what stage we are at.
    Posted by nickkay
    The problem I find there is knowing "where we are" post flop.

We raise with, say, K-K-x-x or Q-Q-x-x & the flop comes J-6-7 high & we bet & some guy repots us. We are - almost certainly - only playing for half here. Which is not what we want to be doing, is it? I don't like the idea of being freerolled in these spots & risking my stack to get half back.

You make an extremely good point as to whether it is an MTT or a DYM though. DYM dynamics are SO different from MTT's, & many can't seem to understand this. In an MTT we want to win all the chips, in a DYM we can & maybe should be much more conservative, as we only have to outlast 3 players. Different things entirely.  

• edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I'm not mad on them, to be honest, though the 2-3 danglers are a sort of insurance against the Ace falling. Really, PLO & PLO8 are not "one pair" games, are they? In O8, we must have balanced hands wherever possible. I do play them on occasion during late stages, 4 handed with big blinds, as at that point, really we are just blind stealing & paying the rent, & most shoves at 150-300 up get through uncalled.   That advice comes to you free from the man who played 19 games @ £3.30 last night & lost 14 of them. Priceless.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yes i tried telling a friend that he was playing QQxx KKxx far to much as he is so use to holdem. As if a ace hits the flop we are snookered and really only a chance at the low and it may not come at all.

If playing KK i rather have it with AKK2, AKK3 even AKK4 or QQ for that matter
  • edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Yes i tried telling a friend that he was playing QQxx KKxx far to much as he is so use to holdem. As if a ace hits the flop we are snookered and really only a chance at the low and it may not come at all. If playing KK i rather have it with AKK2, AKK3 even AKK4 or QQ for that matter
    Posted by stuarty117
    These are real beauts, happy to go to war armed with them.

Even if we walk smack bang into the Aces - & we will, surprisingly often - we are far from dead.

Not so keen on naked K-K or Q-Q though. I am, of course, way too nitty, which is generally right for most DYM's (opponents specific), but I don't like leaving home without an ace where possible. The ace in our hand means we are playing with 5 cards, not 4 like other hands.

I played a lot of O8 & Big O in Vegas this year, & don't think I played a significant pot without an ace in my hand. 

For balance, I had the dubious pleasure of having Richard Ashby on my table in the $3,000 WSOP PLO8. Oh my, you should see HIS starting ranges. Pretty much any 4, & leaning more towards PLO than PLO8 standard ranges. It was breathtaking to watch, not so nice to counter, especially as he was 2 to my left.

I only played one big pot v him, as I was rather keen to stay out of his way - I was playing small pot poker, he was playing for stacks every hand. In 20 minutes, his stack went from 20,000, to 180,000, back to 15,000, then zipped back up to 100,000. All action stuff, & his ploy is sheer aggression.

Anyway, we went to war, I hit my flop hard & check raised him, & with no theatricals or Hollywooding he snap mucked. I flashed him my Ace (well, one of them....), & he retorted, "Tony, we don't need to see your Ace, we know you never play a hand without one". 

I felt so owned, lol.

PS - He finished 4th for $86,000.     

• edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : These are real beauts, happy to go to war armed with them. Even if we walk smack bang into the Aces - & we will, surprisingly often - we are far from dead.   Not so keen on naked K-K or Q-Q though. I am, of course, way too nitty, which is generally right for most DYM's (opponents specific), but I don't like leaving home without an ace where possible. The ace in our hand means we are playing with 5 cards, not 4 like other hands.   I played a lot of O8 & Big O in Vegas this year, & don't think I played a significant pot without an ace in my hand.  For balance, I had the dubious pleasure of having Richard Ashby on my table in the $3,000 WSOP PLO8. Oh my, you should see HIS starting ranges. Pretty much any 4, & leaning more towards PLO than PLO8 standard ranges. It was breathtaking to watch, not so nice to counter, especially as he was 2 to my left.   I only played one big pot v him, as I was rather keen to stay out of his way - I was playing small pot poker, he was playing for stacks every hand. In 20 minutes, his stack went from 20,000, to 180,000, back to 15,000, then zipped back up to 100,000. All action stuff, & his ploy is sheer aggression.   Anyway, we went to war, I hit my flop hard & check raised him, & with no theatricals or Hollywooding he snap mucked. I flashed him my Ace (well, one of them....), & he retorted, "Tony, we don't need to see your Ace, we know you never play a hand without one".  I felt so owned, lol.   PS - He finished 4th for $86,000.       
    Posted by Tikay10
    so the best way to play PLO8 is any 4 cards :)  might give it a bash :)
  • edited September 2016

Yesterday, I wrote this about a particularly expensive session on Thursday.....

"Last night's session; - this is what happens when the trio of 1) playing poorly, 2) running bad & 3) a dose of negative variance all gang up on us at once.....

£2.25, P3, W1, L2

£3.30, P19, W5 (FIVE) L 14 (FOURTEEN)

£5.50 P9, W4, L5

£11, P2, W1, L1.

I'm taking the 1-1 draw in the £11ers as a positive. It's the best I can manage.

Oh, & bye bye £46.95."

• edited September 2016

And I mention that because?

Well this variance thing utterly fascinates me. I'm not sure I played any better last night, or any different at all really. But this is how I ended up.....

£2.25, P2, W2

£3.30, P22, W13

£5.50, P17, W13

£11.00, P4, W4

Hello a profit of £81.40.

And that was despite losing 4 of the first 5.

At one stage last night, I had my 2nd longest winning streak - 14 games - and I won 19 of the last 22 games. 

I just could not do a thing wrong. Actually, that's incorrect - I did plenty of things wrong, but Lady Luckbox came to me rescue time after time. 

What a truly fascinating beast Variance is.   
  • edited September 2016

Thanks Brian, & yes, an extraordinarily good night. Just as the night before was extraordinarily bad.

As these two said once or twice, funny old game.....

• edited September 2016

You are right about the £11 games of course, run good in those & a good session beckons.

I generally play a low variance style, but, you know, sometimes it has to all go in early doors.

On Thursday I lost the lot to the optimistic J-4-3-3 in Level 1, whilst last night I got it all-in on the vey first hand with the Aces & managed to hold against.....7-7-5-5.

F1n63ers has been playing a few games - he is very good indeed. Bit of a PITA, actually, which he can take as a compliment. Nickkay is another, quite a handful, him.

Bring 'em on I say.  ;)

• edited September 2016
    You are right about the £11 games of course, run good in those & a good session beckons. I generally play a low variance style, but, you know, sometimes it has to all go in early doors.   On Thursday I lost the lot to the optimistic J-4-3-3 in Level 1, whilst last night I got it all-in on the vey first hand with the Aces & managed to hold against.....7-7-5-5. F1n63ers has been playing a few games - he is very good indeed. Bit of a PITA, actually, which he can take as a compliment. Nickkay is another, quite a handful, him. Bring 'em on I say.  ;)     
    Posted by Tikay10
    "Quite a handful", I'll take that as a compliment ;) Not a bad week for me on the DYM's, ventured back to a £22 NLH bounty hunter late on as the DYM's calmed down and managed 7th for £70ish, so plenty of funds to hammer DYM's today.

On about very good players at PLO8, it's rare I've seen Eon lose a game and even rarer I get the better of him!
  • edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : "Quite a handful", I'll take that as a compliment ;) Not a bad week for me on the DYM's, ventured back to a £22 NLH bounty hunter late on as the DYM's calmed down and managed 7th for £70ish, so plenty of funds to hammer DYM's today. On about very good players at PLO8, it's rare I've seen Eon lose a game and even rarer I get the better of him!
    Posted by nickkay
    Definitely a compliment.

A while back, Markycash gave me some help with my game & opened my eyes to a few things I had not considered, a few more arrows in my quiver so to speak. Some I adopted, others not. Generally, the way we play reflects our real life persona, & it's hard to change to something we are not. 

The key one though was adapt to your opponents, & I was not doing that enough. I typically prefer to play a low variance line - correctly, for me, I'm a born nit - but what Marky made me realise was that it does not work against those who take the high variance line. So now, I fight fire with fire, & if someone wants high variance, bring it on, I'll respond in kind.  And - so far - it is working. A lot of the better players - & I do mean better - in the £11 & £16.50 do the high variance thing, so now I play back at them, & what will be will be. 

Is it working? Hard to say, but in the £11 & £16.50 games on the last week or so, I've been very successful indeed, but sample size is way too small to be indicative. 

And amongst Team High Variance - very successful - is you. Proper tough to play, but I daresay we'll give each other a few black eyes along the way. ;)    

• edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : "Quite a handful", I'll take that as a compliment ;) Not a bad week for me on the DYM's, ventured back to a £22 NLH bounty hunter late on as the DYM's calmed down and managed 7th for £70ish, so plenty of funds to hammer DYM's today. On about very good players at PLO8, it's rare I've seen Eon lose a game and even rarer I get the better of him!
    Posted by nickkay
    Could not agree more, he is a proper O8 beast, & might just be, day in & day out, the best player here. Of all the players I try to learn from, he is right at, or near the top. Rarely makes a mistake, relentlessly applies pressure, & most of all, possesses a great understanding of DYM dynamics, never putting a foot wrong at the key stage, which is 4 handed. So many players still don't get 4 handed DYM play, but it is, arguably, THE most important weapon we have.

Pompeynic was much relieved yesterday when we were 4 handed & he was on fumes, less than 2 Bigs I think. And the 2 Big Stacks, armed with their egos, went to war, & Nick nicked the game to his undoubted amusement.

Oddly, Eon got battered by adverse variance towards the back of last week, & was being outdrawn left right & centre by all & sundry. (Guilty as charged M'Lord). He just took it on the chin, never had a chunter, & looked to the long term. He can't lose, over time, it's that simple. I noticed he switched to NLH yesterday, £20 & £30 DYM's, maybe to take advantage of Happy Days, & he got the lot. I've been tempted to try that gambit, but I fear I'd not do so well.  

• edited September 2016

Talking of Eon, here's a little anecdote, & a tip, combined.

As some of you know, a while back some joker suggested that Eon & I colluded, as we "never play a hand against each other in the first 4 levels". Yeah, gl with that one sunshine. It seems to have escaped his notice that I rarely play a big pot against ANYONE in the first 4 levels.

His only other piece of "evidence"? We both have the same address listed, "Ilkeston" in Derby. In fact I currently live 150 miles from Ilkeston. Back to Detective school, Sherlock.

Anyway, if you want a free tip as to PLO8 DYM's, then register for a game that Eon & I are in. Chances are he will bust me, or I will bust him. No two players - and this is a fact - have busted each other more than he & I have. So by regging in "our" game, you have a great chance of seeing he or I eliminated, as we do tend to bang heads a lot, so now you have one less opponent. And when Eon has chips 4 or 5 handed, he does not mess about & get involved where he has no need to.

Proper bloke & a great player.  

• edited September 2016
    Morning 'mate'.........thought that was funny last night . :-)

Given the correct table selection TK you could easily turn profit at £10 NLH. Speak to Grumpy regarding his theory about those levels, I have been playing a lot more NLH due to the promos. I stick to £3 and £5 (will throw in some £10 when I feel comfortable enough) but it has given me decent profit and enabled me to earn better rewards payments
  • edited September 2016

What I've found in my relitively short PLO8 experience, especially in the DYM's is just how passive players are, certainly at the £3.30/£5.50 level, hence why I could be described as a little bit aggro. However, the better players, as Marky rightly says, adjust and play you at your own game, especially in the £11 stakes and beyond.

Annoyed with myself at the weekend after a bad PLO8 session. It wasn't variance it was just poor play, especially in spots I didn't need to get involved with. Consequently I visited a few well known forums, watched a few videos and picked up a few tricks to go to war with this week.

See you at the tables ;)
  • edited September 2016
    [QUOTE]Morning 'mate'.........thought that was funny last night . :-) Given the correct table selection TK you could easily turn profit at £10 NLH. Speak to Grumpy regarding his theory about those levels, I have been playing a lot more NLH due to the promos. I stick to £3 and £5 (will throw in some £10 when I feel comfortable enough) but it has given me decent profit and enabled me to earn better rewards payments
    Posted by HENDRIK62

Think the turn of phrase our friend used was "pal" actually.

It was all rather embarrassing, but equally intriguing, which was why I hung around, that Ger said "do you know who tikay is?". I nearly died with embarrassment.

For those wondering wtf, a "new" guy had regged for PLO8 in error. After thinking he had busted the same player twice, only to see the pot chopped, he wanted to know what was going on. He had no idea at all that there were Low pots involved.

Everyone, me included, tried to help him, but he came back at me a bit strongly with a sarcy comment & addressed me as "pal". It did not even register with me - I've been called far worse......

Course, Mr New Guy had the last word as I misplayed a hand terribly & he busted me. Still, I congratulated him & wished him well with "well played pal".....

Thanks for the tip on NLH. I'm quite keen to try it during future Happy Days, or when I am scrambling for points on a Sunday.

Did you make the 1,000 points?