You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    HMSAmazon, he always used to be playing. We fly Saturday, but I think my last chance to have a game or three will be Thursday. Coming back November the 2nd I think it is. Something like that. We have to fly via Athens that time of year so I let MrFattyBellyMac sort the flights and stopover hotel. Wedding was last week, kids on honeymoon now on a cruise, whatever floats your boat I suppose. New Greek relatives in UK with us now to meet new Brit relatives who didn't go to wedding (done) and to have a wee break themselves. They've headed off to London this morning for two days sightseeing, first time for all of them. In truth I think they will be diving into the first Greek restaurant they can find. When I gave them some trifle yesterday, you'd think from their expression that I'd just told them Gary Glitter was the new school caretaker. What's wrong with K997? Brilliant hand that.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Ahh yes, of course, an absolute Gent.

Not seen him for months. Hope he is ok.

Not seen either of the identical twins, either.

• edited August 2016
    I noticed the £3 tables I played yesterday were being played differently to how I remember. The norm yesterday appeared to be to play normally until fourhanded, then regardless of stack size etc, any four cards would shove on the button and any four cards on BB would be calling. it may have just been the games I played, but it seemed to happen every game. Folding on the BB with 2000+ chips still left, didn't seem to be an option.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Don't think the games have changed much, except that folks DO call a lot wider these days. Blame Marky for that.

By the bye, when Marky, or anyone, asks you about your sandwich, you don't HAVE to go into chapter & verse as to the type of bread, what sort of butter, filling, salad, seasoning etc. Do we understand each other? 

• edited August 2016

Very busy on the tables last night, managed 40 games.

Won 24 of them, too, so with a 60% win rate, that's a nice profit, right?

Wrong. 3 x £10 games ran, & I managed to lose all three.

2 of the losses in the £10-ers were just routine stuff, but I had brain fade v Eon in one of them when, for no good reason, I took off in Level 2 or 3, with a full stack, with A-K-K-8. He had the boots, obv. Terrible play be me, no idea what came over me. Late in the game, 4 handed with monster blinds, yeah, go to war, but Level 2 with a full stack? I don't think so.

It haunted me all evening. Sheesh, have giving away games by sloppy play.

Anyway, here's the bare bones;

£2.25, P5, W4, L1

£3.30 - P21, W13, L8

£5.50, P11, W7, L4

£11, P3, W0, L3

So that was a great night, won well at every level except £11, & ended up knocking in a tenner. 

Am sulking. (Official).

• edited August 2016
    "Not seen either of the identical twins, either"
    That's a sharme.
    I reported one of them (can't remember which one)  in March, for chat box attempted collusion.
    I'd hate to think I was in any way responsible for their departure.
    I would be devastated.
    Wouldn't be able to live with myself.
  • edited August 2016
    Hi Mac, the big names in town are markycash and chris, helland has always been good tikay have you only noticed this now?

HMSamazon appears to have stopped Im afraid, hope its just taking a break.

Enjoy your games tonight Mac.

Ger
  • edited August 2016
    Hi Karen,

Hope you are counting your games for the 1000 game challenge. Despite your break you are probably still second volume wise.

Tiksy finished ages ago and set the bar.

• edited August 2016
    Hi Mac, the big names in town are markycash and chris, helland has always been good tikay have you only noticed this now? HMSamazon appears to have stopped Im afraid, hope its just taking a break. Enjoy your games tonight Mac. Ger
    Posted by gerardirl
    Yes, helland has always been vey good indeed, but if you watch him carefully, he has improved his game of late.

Think I have just 2 players in the entire PLO8 pool who have the "yellow" code on my notes, & he is one of them. It's tough to see a single weakness in his game.

Oddly, the day after I mentioned him, he played just 3 games, all at £3.30 - & lost all three.   

• edited August 2016

Isn't it great to see the community in such good heart of late, with the post-count much improved & so much positivity & humour? It's a tough thing to keep a forum healthy & active these days, what with so many demands upon our time, & the resurgence of so many Diaries & other new threads means folks are making an effort to keep the place vibrant.

A chap wrote to me privately & suggested Sky Poker were to blame for the Community being a bit quiet at times. I gave him short shrift - politely - by reminding him that a Community is exactly that - it is for the Community Members to make it what it is, good or bad. We can't finger point at anyone except ourselves.  

• edited August 2016

Been too busy to update this week, but I'm ticking along nicely, the big news being the sheer number of games running each night. I played 40 on Monday, 40 on Tuesday, & 34 last night. For early August, the nut worst time for Online Poker, that is extraordinary. At one time it'd be a struggle to play 10 PLO8 DYM's in an entire evening in mid-winter.

I've won 58% of them, too, which sounds OK, but the balance has not been ideal, so the profit has been fairly modest. Even so, a profit is a profit, & we might just get a nice bonus this week with the Happy Days weekend starting tomorrow.

Karen - Macagirl1 - has her last night tonight before departing again for warmer climes. I shall miss her muchly, all joking aside, she is the salt of the earth, & a real, if virtual, friend & kindred spirit. *

* Except when she starts her food twaddle.  
  • edited August 2016
    .... really enjoying dropping in on the fiver tables lately - and again I apologise for my lack of chat - it seems that whenever I start chat I lose focus completely so I shut up!

I have also been avoiding the three pounders as I cannot get past the usual suspects - lol.

Four games a night maximum is my lot - so I will never reach great stats - and also I will only play one table at a time - on saying that a good run is going at the moment - so please accept that I am silently saying "hello" and hope to join you on the tables tonight.

• edited August 2016
    What was the flop in the hand you were curious about last night....5 5 10 ?...or 5 5 A?
  • edited August 2016
    What was the flop in the hand you were curious about last night....5 5 10 ?...or 5 5 A?
    Posted by chilling
    Ha, I'd consigned the memory of that to the Delete bin.

The flop was 5-5-10, & I bet out. I had A-2-5-8 or similar.

You had possy on me & re-raised. 

I dwelt for longer than usual, unsure what to make of that. Don't think you re-pot with 10-10, you could have 10-5, or we may have the same hand - effectively 5-5-5-A. If we have the same hand, I'm risking the whole game to chop, & that's just not my bag. I had a full stack, so eventually decided I could find a better spot later & I found the fold.

Interesting spot, but with a full stack, I was happy with the fold. Sort of.....

As I mentioned last night, I was close to the bubble in a Vegas tourney & a near identical spot arose on a 3-3-9 flop when I had 3-9. Geezer set me in, & I could not bring myself to believe he had exactly 9-9.  It sort of scarred my memory. ;)      

• edited August 2016
    .... really enjoying dropping in on the fiver tables lately - and again I apologise for my lack of chat - it seems that whenever I start chat I lose focus completely so I shut up! I have also been avoiding the three pounders as I cannot get past the usual suspects - lol. Four games a night maximum is my lot - so I will never reach great stats - and also I will only play one table at a time - on saying that a good run is going at the moment - so please accept that I am silently saying "hello" and hope to join you on the tables tonight.
    Posted by imber
    Always a pleasure to see you on the tables Mr Imber, & I know EXACTLY what you mean about chatting destroying our focus. It's especially difficult on 5 or 6 tables at the same time.

Silent "hello" exchanged tonight mate, & I hope your run-good continues.

• edited August 2016
    Isn't it great to see the community in such good heart of late, with the post-count much improved & so much positivity & humour? It's a tough thing to keep a forum healthy & active these days, what with so many demands upon our time, & the resurgence of so many Diaries & other new threads means folks are making an effort to keep the place vibrant.   A chap wrote to me privately & suggested Sky Poker were to blame for the Community being a bit quiet at times. I gave him short shrift - politely - by reminding him that a Community is exactly that - it is for the Community Members to make it what it is, good or bad. We can't finger point at anyone except ourselves.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    It is often only when something is gone such as a forum that we can quantify 'what it meant' to us. It may not be life or death but a quick read of a few strategy threads, news items, chat with others and a catch up on diaries can become a meaningful part of our daily routines.

The last forum I was on ran for around 10 years, so many of us where friends and had met up in person etc etc. It was as you said 'a community'. Without much warning the site and forum closed and the community was broken. Many keep in touch and still meet up even around 7 years on from it closing. It is not quite the same though without the shared point of interest (the forum).

The forum here, although possibly not bursting at the rafters, seems to have that special something which not all forums have. A generally great bunch of people and I hope if one day Sky ever has to consider closing it that they take into account the fact the forum is more than just an appendage to the poker site, it is, as you say, a community.
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Ha, I'd consigned the memory of that to the Delete bin. The flop was 5-5-10, & I bet out. I had A-2-5-8 or similar. You had possy on me & re-raised.  I dwelt for longer than usual, unsure what to make of that. Don't think you re-pot with 10-10, you could have 10-5, or we may have the same hand - effectively 5-5-5-A. If we have the same hand, I'm risking the whole game to chop, & that's just not my bag. I had a full stack, so eventually decided I could find a better spot later & I found the fold. Interesting spot, but with a full stack, I was happy with the fold. Sort of..... As I mentioned last night, I was close to the bubble in a Vegas tourney & a near identical spot arose on a 3-3-9 flop when I had 3-9. Geezer set me in, & I could not bring myself to believe he had exactly 9-9.  It sort of scarred my memory. ;)        
    Posted by Tikay10[/QUOTE
    Found the hand Tikay.Took forever as on a tab you need pencil like fingers and need to scroll up every flop.Are you a wise owl, or a superstitous slave.On a flop of 5d 10c 5s.      My hole cards were...........5h. Ad.  3h.  10d.........= good fold.

• edited August 2016

^^^

Crikey, you really DID have it.

Have to say, I so nearly went to war.

WP

NH
  • edited August 2016
    Toodlepip everyone.
    I wanted to play last night, but two minutes after my first game started, friends arrived out of the blue so that put the poker plans to bed.
    If I register for a game tonight after 11PM, it's because I am home early and drunk, so be easy on me.
    Maybe catch ya laters, or if not, the first week of November.
    Be lucky.
    xx

ps. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    pps. Interesting Fact #249. If all the Curlywurlys sold in the UK in 2015 were laid end to end, they would reach from London to  Palermo. It's true. I worked it out using maths and stuff.
  • edited August 2016
    Toodlepip everyone. I wanted to play last night, but two minutes after my first game started, friends arrived out of the blue so that put the poker plans to bed. If I register for a game tonight after 11PM, it's because I am home early and drunk, so be easy on me. Maybe catch ya laters, or if not, the first week of November. Be lucky. xx ps. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pps. Interesting Fact #249. If all the Curlywurlys sold in the UK in 2015 were laid end to end, they would reach from London to  Palermo. It's true. I worked it out using maths and stuff.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Was lovely to "see you" late last night Karen, & quite amusing that you were totally tipsy. Even so, you managed to win a "hot" £5 game, well done you.

You will be sorely missed by me, you really will.

Stay safe, bon voyage,

xxxx
  • edited August 2016
    Non Poker related bump.

I was being given some deep frictioning the other day by my physio (I don't recommend it, it hurts) who happens to also be a stone carver (weird eh?) Anyway he started telling me about Sidney Little. Not Sid Little as in Sid Little of Little and Large fame but Sidney Little 'the Concrete King'!

Well Tikay what a man. Created many of the UK's seaside war defences and a concrete harbour used in the D Day landings, built the first underground concrete car park and also Bottle Alley in Hastings as well as numerous other iconic structures in the South East.

He was given the freedom of Hastings in 1960 which obviously upset him greatly as he died a year later (who wouldn't).

Apparently there is a fascinating book about him.

Did you ever meet him Tikay?

• edited August 2016
    Ah, ive a concretey railway poser.Many ,many years ago( pre high tech), how would you continue drilling a tunnel to connect two sections of tube line underneath a very large river, when you are half way across and discover water is coming in and the continuation of drilling would lead to the  total collapse of the river bed.No googling owt.
    Posted by chilling
    Inserting grout/slurry & then freezing it?

Or, more conventionally, a cofferdam?
  • edited August 2016
    Non Poker related bump. I was being given some deep frictioning the other day by my physio (I don't recommend it, it hurts) who happens to also be a stone carver (weird eh?) Anyway he started telling me about Sidney Little. Not Sid Little as in Sid Little of Little and Large fame but Sidney Little 'the Concrete King'! Well Tikay what a man. Created many of the UK's seaside war defences and a concrete harbour used in the D Day landings, built the first underground concrete car park and also Bottle Alley in Hastings as well as numerous other iconic structures in the South East. He was given the freedom of Hastings in 1960 which obviously upset him greatly as he died a year later (who wouldn't). Apparently there is a fascinating book about him. Did you ever meet him Tikay?
    Posted by Enut
    Hi Paul,

No, never heard of the chap, but he seemed my kind of chap, & we could have many an interesting yarn, I fancy.

I am rather fond of Martello Towers, it must be said. Still plenty of them to be seen off the coast, as they can't get rid of them easily. Concrete is such an amazing thing, so durable. Civilisation as we know it would struggle without it, & yet everyone takes it for granted.  

The same applies to grass. Have you ever investigated or researched grass? Life without grass would be very different. It's completely self-sustaining.

• edited August 2016
    I must learn on cash tables Not to get all my money in before the flop with AA I can't remember the last time I won the hand, plus losing all my cash again and again ....... Ned pot less
  • edited August 2016
    I must learn on cash tables Not to get all my money in before the flop with AA I can't remember the last time I won the hand, plus losing all my cash again and again ....... Ned pot less
    Posted by ned17
    Aces, in NLH? Get your money in. Over time you'll do fine.

It's different in PLO, or PLO8, mind. With Aces, you'll probably lose up to 4 times in 10. Try a bit of that, Ned......

Are you glad you eventually made it to Vegas? 

• edited August 2016
    I think I am going to jump on the PLO8 bus tonight!
  • edited August 2016
    All this talk about grass and pot control.........!
  • edited August 2016

I never got round to summarising last week's results

Mon, Tues Weds were just standard, & was about £10 down on the week.

Thursday was car crash day, was in profit after 28 games, decided to play a longer session than normal, then proceeded to lose 12 of the last 14. How does this happen? So that was £61 down the swanee.

Pulled back £15 on Friday, another £17 on Saturday, & then Sunday was crazy, winning 14 of the last 17, including a few biggies, so ended Sunday with a profit of £60. How does this happen?

Overall, including Rewards money, made £49 on the week. Not great considering I played 250 games, so it's a fairly modest £0.20 per game, but a profit is always a bonus so I'll settler for that. 

In total, I won 145 games from 250 played, which is 58%. That's OK.

Since getting back from Vegas, I'm around £110 ahead. Paltry really, considering the volume I put in, but its a hobby which I love to bits, so I'm happy enough.

• edited August 2016

This week has been just standard stuff, no big wins or car crashes. Yet.

Had one cracking game last night when I got knocked down to 245 chips @ 25-50, & somehow managed to win it. Cheezy was on the table too, & also won. That boy's game has improved out of all recognition.

We have to run the occasional bluff, or squeeze, in these things, & I managed a cracking squeeze last night when all 5 players had limped into my Big at 100-200. Such a shame that some bright spark was waiting for me with A-A-2-3 DS. Next game.

You do feel rather silly when these coups fail. 

Tables were very busy indeed last night, & I managed 35 games in 4 hours flat.

See you guys tonight.  

• edited August 2016
    you asked for a an idea on this thread so i gave a couple of ideas for you to have a look at when you have the time. https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum%3adf77f82c-151f-4bea-aae1-fb423dcae1faDiscussion%3a015d121f-22b4-4e6e-b3c5-469e43c8c433 The games last night where good was very busy bit awkward trying to play both pl08 dyms and mtts and a couple of holdem games elsewhere probably why you and nic thought i was going a bit crazy was trying to keep up had 6/7 tables going for about 2 hours ussually i only stick to 4 so was just playing the cards not really looking at who i was against and it cost me a couple of games but was great fun and hoping for the same again tonight.
    Posted by churchy18
    Morning Brian.

I'll take a look & respond at that PLO8 thread on Monday. We seem to have had the same debate 6 or 7 times, & it's so good that the PLO8 lads really make the effort to improve their lot, instead of just finger pointing & moaning.

The Forum seems to have a disproportionate number of active PLO8 players, & they make more noise than all the other guys put together, but it does not hide the fact that liquidity is still miniscule compared to NLH. With time, we'll get there - we have made astonishing progress in the last 3 years. It's now mid-summer, the nut worst time for traffic, & yet we can still play as many PLO8 DYM's as our computers can handle on any given night. 'Stars apart, NO OTHER SITE can boast that. Come the winter, traffic will be amazing. 

As to you playing PLO8 DYM's, PLO8 MTT's & NLH MTT's simultaneously.....well yes, we did notice you were not paying attention. ;)

Honestly Brian, I really don't think it is possible to play those 3 formats simultaneously. It WILL cost you money. It's not even viable (imo) to play PLO8 DYM's & PLO8 MTT's at the same time.

A lot of players struggle to grasp the fundamental difference between DYM's & MTT's. We play them - or SHOULD play them - completely differently. Completely & totally different. And if we don't, it will cost us. In an MTT we want ALL the chips, but DYM's are much more tactical. With 5,000 or 6,000 chips, we don't want or need to get involved, it's all downside & no upside.  

That's why I don't play your League on a Thursday - it's simply not possible to juggle the two mindsets at the same time, especially if we have 5 or 6 tables on the go.

Marky said the same thing recently, he struggled with playing both at the same time. And if he struggles, what chance have we got?  

• edited August 2016
    Playing the mini/main and two league games the other night was bordering on torture! Not only the speed of four tables with two variants, but the fact even when tiled, the tables on sky poker aren't as neat as they could be.

• edited August 2016

I don't generally talk about bad beats & stuff, but a quick mention of a few mates who are having a tough time right now.

First up, Tuney is having a shocker, he can't seem to do a thing right. Takes it like a man though, wp him.

Even Ger, who is rock solid ABC, had a bad run this week, winning just 5 from 19 I think.

On which subject, he mentioned this in the chat box. As you well know, Ger mentions a lot of things in the chat box, but I digress.

On the same table was mmmmchips, aka Chippy. Chippy is Marmite, a sort of David Brent/Ricky Gervais, you either love or hate him. He's subtle, VERY subtle, & immensely funny, but not everyone's cup of tea. I love him to bits. 

So, Ger says "I'm running shocking, won just 5 from 19", & quick as a flash, Chippy types "well done on winning the 5 though".

Priceless.