You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited June 2016
    Have a fantastic time Mr K, say hello to Mt Charleston for me, (I still dont understand how a place so beautiful can be so near the desert, but wow what a place, and what views!) Both me and the father still talk about it and how grateful we are for you mentioning it.

Be lucky on the tables, and dont forget we need lots of updates

Enjoy the lattes and the sticky buns

Mother
    xxxx

(Missing you already)

PS Does your downswing coincide with me playing more of the 2 card game?
  • edited June 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Hi Andrew, Not forgotten this, & it will very likely happen. The thing they are juggling with is that whereas Turbo PLO8's will certainly add more interest & players, it will split the liquidity, & we may end up with inadequate traffic in either. Anyway, bear with them, & it will very likely happen soon.   I'll certainly support it - I'm not generally a fan of Turbo stuff, but if I adjust my ranges I think I'd be OK, & the beauty of Turbos is they it enables us to fit a lot more games (& thus more Reward Points) into a session.   Hope all is well with you & yours.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks a lot for chasing this up Tony.
    After your recent mobile phone dramas, winning a bracelet should be a breeze.
    Be lucky mate.
  • edited June 2016
    Hope you have a brilliant time Tikay!

Will keep an eye on the updates and cheer you on from the virtual rail.

See you in July.
  • edited June 2016
    Safe trip Tony
    May the "fours" be with you.

Edit
    I hear you can get anything in Vegas.......?
    I want you to find a Tikay bobblehead :-)
  • edited June 2016
    Have a great time sir - hope you crush, sure you will have a blast whatever the results.
  • edited June 2016
    Have a great time in Vegas Tikay and run well when the chips are in! Looking forward to your vidbogs with Channing already.
    Good Luck, 

Dave.
  • edited June 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Morning Karen, & apologies to both my readers for lack of updates of late, I've been a bit busy with, you know, things, & stuff. Hope all is well with you Karen, also with your broody Son & of course Mr DoorMat.   Quick "Team Plop" Update for you, & I have to start with some very sad news.  Think you may have still been here when we lost "happysilve", which was terrible news. Unfortunately, in April, "sparrolegs" passed away very suddenly. I know we always say this, but they were both such lovely ladies, & never said a bad word or harboured an evil thought. It's so sad, & so unfair.   The thread about Caroline, aka sparrolegs, is HERE That apart, all is good here, & the usual crew are, for the most part, still here.  weecheez is a full time member now, & has quickly become very solid & proficient.   We have a NKOTB too, "markycash", who has really shaken things up, he has an amazingly good game, & has made many of us realise - certainly me - that we needed to improve our game if we want to remain profitable. He's a genuinely good guy, too, ready & willing to help anyone with good advice.   Not seen Eon on the PLO8 Tables much recently, he seems to have moved across to the Dark Side, & be playing NLH these days.   The sole remaining Identical Twin seems to have moved on, too, not seen him here in months.   Mr "You live in the same town so must be colluding" graces us with his presence now & then, & I've yet to see him say a nice thing about anyone or anything. Not entirely sure I'd like to meet someone so full of dislike for anyone & everyone. Generally, though, the atmo remains very good, & we rarely see any bad blood on the tables, & the players are a credit to the game, & Sky Poker. An occasional visitor these days is FILIPSEBO. Very unusual style, raises EVERY hand, & pots EVERY street, so we have to adjust our game v him. When he frequents the £11 & £16.50 tables (yes, we have a £16.50 table now) it gets a bit exciting, I can tell you, but at the moment he is mostly playing the 50p & £1 versions.   "Adzbo" is another new regular, & a very good one, too, got a lovely "correct" game.   The other regulars are all still here - Brian, AJ, Vespa, Lynn, Ger (who won nearly £1,000 over the last 2 weeks in Promo MTT's), Hendo, Phantom, Whizzy, Alexis, jorzar, Eddie, Chiggy, Penguin, botneck, & of course, dear beloved Jod.   So there you are, a quick round up. Seriously, & I mean this - we miss you. * * May be untrue. xxx   
    Posted by Tikay10

I just KNEW it was a bad idea to name my friends & regulars from the PLO8 Tables - I was bound to miss a few. And I did.

Apologies to those who I never mentioned.
  • edited June 2016
    Have a fantastic time Mr K, say hello to Mt Charleston for me, (I still dont understand how a place so beautiful can be so near the desert, but wow what a place, and what views!) Both me and the father still talk about it and how grateful we are for you mentioning it. Be lucky on the tables, and dont forget we  need  lots of updates Enjoy the lattes and the sticky buns Mother xxxx (Missing you already) PS Does your downswing coincide with me playing more of the 2 card game?
    Posted by Amarie

Mt C is just THE best, very much like the West Highlands of Scotland, but better weather.

And yes, how can somewhere just 30 minutes drive from Las Vegas be so beautiful. Pine trees in thick woods, snow-topped mountains, spectacular views of the Las Vegas valley far below.

We'll be having breakfast & dinner there next week (Gill & I), & then when the Sky Poker Host team arrive, Mr Channing & Co, &'ll take them all up there for a sort of welcome brekkie, as I did last year.

Breakfast in the open air, up in the mountains, is just wonderful.

Gill is a bit of a fiend for tat shops, so she'll spend fortunes in the Mt C & Spring Mountain Gift Shops. She even purchased Mt C Xmas decorations last year.

And yes, I probably played better when you were not on my table. When you & Karen start nattering, it's so distracting......

xx to you, FATHER, & The Errant Daughter.  

• edited June 2016

Thank you for all the good vibs & wishes, it's appreciated.
  • edited June 2016
    Sillysilve not happysilve :P
  • edited June 2016
    Sillysilve not happysilve :P
    Posted by gerardirl
    Apologies.

Think I'd best avoid trying to namecheck folks in future.
  • edited June 2016
    Get that manbag crammed with chips Tikay,glgl.Also take some baggy clothes, sticky buns are beckoning!
  • edited June 2016
    No problem Tikay very nice ofyou to mention her.
    Makes me proud.

Ger
  • edited June 2016
    All the best Tikay especially for the holiday part with Gill pre work and any comps you get to enter.

Looking forward to the updates immensly, I just hope that the Walmart wardrobe is not returning.
  • edited June 2016
    Good luck Tikay where can we find your updates?

Will you be posting them on Sky?

Ger
  • edited June 2016
    Where you flying from Tikay and what times your flight?  First class I presume.  What type of aircraft will you be travelling on?  I'm abit of a flightradar24 geek :)
  • edited June 2016
    Where you flying from Tikay and what times your flight?  First class I presume.  What type of aircraft will you be travelling on?  I'm abit of a flightradar24 geek :)
    Posted by Donttelmum

You are a FR24 regular? Oh my word, me too, we should get married, & have geeky children and things.

Gatwick, Virgin Atlantic, 10.30, VS43, PE.

Am at Gatters now, having breakfast in an eatery which overlooks the apron.

Gatters might just be one of the busiest single runway airports in the world, certainly top 5.
  • edited June 2016
    Good luck Tikay where can we find your updates? Will you be posting them on Sky? Ger
    Posted by gerardirl
    Thank you Ger, and yes, there will be updates, mainly blogs, and I will provide links to them.
  • edited June 2016

Too many people to thank personally, as I am running out of time, but many thanks to you all, it is very much appreciated.
  • edited June 2016

"Walmart wardrobe"

Eh?

I thought I looked rather good last year in my Walmart gear.
  • edited June 2016
    Enjoy your trip sir and run golden gl
  • edited June 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : You are a FR24 regular? Oh my word, me too, we should get married, & have geeky children and things. Gatwick, Virgin Atlantic, 10.30, VS43, PE. Am at Gatters now, having breakfast in an eatery which overlooks the apron. Gatters might just be one of the busiest single runway airports in the world, certainly top 5.
    Posted by Tikay10

I'm on FR24 now watching live. Tell the pilot he's driving the wrong way! He's going towards the A23 instead of the runway :D

Have a great trip.

*edit - he's sorted it now :D about to take-off!

• edited June 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : You are a FR24 regular? Oh my word, me too, we should get married, & have geeky children and things. Gatwick, Virgin Atlantic, 10.30, VS43, PE. Am at Gatters now, having breakfast in an eatery which overlooks the apron. Gatters might just be one of the busiest single runway airports in the world, certainly top 5.
    Posted by Tikay10

Come on Tikay, I'd have thought you of all people would know its the busiest single runway airport in the world.

Whats PE like on Virgin? Wasn't overly impressed with BAs PE offering in January, though once you've flown business everything else is turdd in comparison ;)

Do wins please and have a great trip.
  • edited June 2016
    Ooh, you could get mesmerised by Flightradar24!

Just got Tikay's flight on screen and see it has the poker player's heaven - God's River, Manitoba.
  • edited July 2016

Can't believe some of you even followed the flight - what a great tool FR24 is.

Anyway, the adventure is over, & I'm back home. Had an absolute blast, best ever Vegas trip. 4 nice cashes, too, which made it profitable, including 2 WSOP cashes, (36th in the $1,500 PLO, for $4,901, & 56th in the $3,000 PLO8, for $4,873). Also chopped a 7-Max Big O comp at PH for $3,500, & was 9th in a $600 Big O @ Venetian for $2,361. Chirp ends.     

Sad to see we don't have many diaries on the go right now - even Grumpy Paul has quit - so I'll try & rev this one up a bit, & maybe encourage others to do Diaries.

I got back home Tuesday afternoon, & could not wait to get back playing again - I never played a hand of poker in Vegas for the last 10 days, as I was working, so I needed my fix.

Somehow managed to lose £6.65 over 15 games on Tuesday, hardly setting the world on fire, but made £28.75 last night over 31 games.

The most surprising thing was the levels of traffic - to be able to play 31 PLO8 DYM's in a single session on a hot July night is really an eye-opener. Bodes well for the Autumn & winter.   

• edited July 2016

For those not familiar, "Big O" is 5 card PLO8, & is easily my favourite game. When I was not playing Tourneys in Vegas, I played Big O cash most nights at The Rio, had about 12 sessions in all.

There is a significant difference in starting hand ranges in Big O - we can raise, or call, much much wider. However, at showdown, we need to be much tighter. Bear in mind that 5 cards in our hand = 10 (TEN) different 2 card combos, so we never give free cards in Big O.

Sadly, Sky Poker don't offer Big O - I expect 'Stars do, & maybe 1 or 2 others, & I should not encourage anyone to play elsewhere - but if you get chance to give it a spin, you really should, it is a truly beautiful game, & one in which you really need to think your way through the streets.   

• edited July 2016

Saw most of the usual names & faces last night, plus a sprinkling of newcomers. Was particularly impressed by Chris_Mc, who I had not seen playing these before.

Also played a chap (I assume it was a chap) with the excellent alias of 25". They don't come much shorter than that.

Barny, as in FCHD, joined us for a few games, & after I did a scoop, he typed "we love scoopios" or something similar. Unforch, the villain got very upset about that, & we got a shower of abuse. How to win friends & influence people, eh?

See some of you later, all being well.  

• edited July 2016
    Saw most of the usual names & faces last night, plus a sprinkling of newcomers. Was particularly impressed by Chris_Mc, who I had not seen playing these before. Also played a chap (I assume it was a chap) with the excellent alias of 25". They don't come much shorter than that.   Barny, as in FCHD, joined us for a few games, & after I did a scoop, he typed "we love scoopios" or something similar. Unforch, the villain got very upset about that, & we got a shower of abuse. How to win friends & influence people, eh? See some of you later, all being well.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    played in the same game it was unfortunate he took it the wrong way but i suppose thinggs like that happen when more people join played in some great games and the new people keep me on my toes long may it continue gl
  • edited July 2016
    Welcome back and good to hear traffic is back up. Wanted to play last night but jetlag and the 48 hour+ return journey had got the better of me. Will try and play a load and help the traffic more over the coming weeks.

Couldn't agree more with the sentiments about 'Big O'.