You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Welcome back and good to hear traffic is back up. Wanted to play last night but jetlag and the 48 hour+ return journey had got the better of me. Will try and play a load and help the traffic more over the coming weeks. Couldn't agree more with the sentiments about 'Big O'.
    Posted by markycash
    GO AWAY.
  • edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : GO AWAY.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Not going to happen!!!!!!!!!! :D
  • edited July 2016
    Saw most of the usual names & faces last night, plus a sprinkling of newcomers. Was particularly impressed by Chris_Mc, who I had not seen playing these before. Also played a chap (I assume it was a chap) with the excellent alias of 25". They don't come much shorter than that.   Barny, as in FCHD, joined us for a few games, & after I did a scoop, he typed "we love scoopios" or something similar. Unforch, the villain got very upset about that, & we got a shower of abuse. How to win friends & influence people, eh? See some of you later, all being well.    
    Posted by Tikay10

cheers tikay always nice to read that!!!!

But i have played before, was probally about 2 years ago now, u gave me a few pointers in it but didnt really get round to giving it a good go,

been a busy couple of years, moving out our rented house.... well shafted out is a better descriptioon, then saving to purchase our own home for the family which in the last 3 weeks has grown by one with the arrival of my second daughter Sophie.

Havent really had a chance to play and just starting to get back to playing online as i love poker even if im not a winning player!  but seem to have got attacthed to the plo8 and not even thinking about a hold'em game at the minute. I feel im playing ok but there are times where im still lost. but im either running exxtremely good and lucky or im doing things ok beecause im winnning more than losing.

time will tell though.

see u at the tables ill be back tomorrow.

• edited July 2016
    Note to self, stop defending Tikay's steal attempts on my BB. He has obviously brought the Vegas form back :)
  • edited July 2016
    Can't believe some of you even followed the flight - what a great tool FR24 is. Anyway, the adventure is over, & I'm back home. Had an absolute blast, best ever Vegas trip. 4 nice cashes, too, which made it profitable, including 2 WSOP cashes, (36th in the $1,500 PLO, for $4,901, & 56th in the $3,000 PLO8, for $4,873). Also chopped a 7-Max Big O comp at PH for $3,500, & was 9th in a $600 Big O @ Venetian for $2,361. Chirp ends.        Sad to see we don't have many diaries on the go right now - even Grumpy Paul has quit - so I'll try & rev this one up a bit, & maybe encourage others to do Diaries.   I got back home Tuesday afternoon, & could not wait to get back playing again - I never played a hand of poker in Vegas for the last 10 days, as I was working, so I needed my fix. Somehow managed to lose £6.65 over 15 games on Tuesday, hardly setting the world on fire, but made £28.75 last night over 31 games.   The most surprising thing was the levels of traffic - to be able to play 31 PLO8 DYM's in a single session on a hot July night is really an eye-opener. Bodes well for the Autumn & winter.     
    Posted by Tikay10
    It's amazing the lengths the bumhunters will go to when the easy money is back in town.
  • edited July 2016
    Sounds like everyone had a great time on another very successful sky trip.

I am sure they all appreciate the excellent work you all put in to make everyone welcome.

I was particularly pleased to hear that Ned made it and appeared to have a whale of a time after his pre trip nerves.

WP all concerned.
  • edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : It's amazing the lengths the bumhunters will go to when the easy money is back in town.
    Posted by dragon1964
    A+ for that.

It's true those boys bumhunt me, too.

I played a session last night, & at around 10.30, the games were starting to dry up, & I was hungry, so I decided to call it a night. I was regged for a bunch of games, including a £16.50 affair, which 5 of us had regged for, but which had not started.

The moment I de-regged, the other 4 all de-regged too......

Make of that what you will. When we can't recognize the value, we generally ARE the value. 

• edited July 2016
    Sounds like everyone had a great time on another very successful sky trip. I am sure they all appreciate the excellent work you all put in to make everyone welcome. I was particularly pleased to hear that Ned made it and appeared to have a whale of a time after his pre trip nerves. WP all concerned.
    Posted by dragon1964
    Thanks, appreciated, & yes, Ned had a blast.

Some explanation of how the team organised the stuff is in order.

Dan & I were based & stayed at The Rio, so we could be "above the shop" & so get started at 8am every morning, & our main tasks were Videos, Live Updates, & Blogs. The Live Updates were particularly testing, due to DPA issues, & the fact that as tables broke we lost track of where the players were sitting. Believe me, finding a single player amongst several thousand, spread across 3 rooms, was a perfect nightmare. The time difference did not help, either, as it meant I was typing away all night & there was no interaction, as everybody back home was tucked up in bed.

Sam, Mark & Liz were based over at Palazzo, so they looked after the players at that end.

I do have one (well maybe several...) weakness, & that is I simply don't do alcohol, & I feel extremely uncomfortable being amongst the company of folks who are drinking. I'm not a very sociable animal either - it's not that I don't get along with everyone, I just feel a bit of a misfit in mixed drinking company. I'm also terrible at remembering names, & who is who. I just don't do that sort of stuff at all well. 

So I went across for the Welcome Party & Leaving Party, but slid away quietly after a few hours before it all got too much for me. They then all went clubbing & drinking, & some of those sessions were all-nighters I gather. To ne honest, if you offered me £5,000 to spend a night clubbing & drinking, I'd have to turn it down - I have a sort of phobia about it. Happiness was going back to my room & reading a book for a hour.

Luckily, Sam & Mark - especially Sam - are ideally suited to spending all night drinking.

It's was a real Jack Spratt & his missus thing.      

• edited July 2016

Meanwhile, back at home, & I had another good session last night, & managed a whopping 287 points due to Happy Days.

33 games in all, at every buy-in from £1.15 right up to £16.50. I do OK at £11 & £16.50, so in theory I ought to bash up the £1.15 & £2.25 games, but it simply does not work like that. Last night looked like this......

£1.15 - P6, W3, L3

£2.25 - P4, W3, L1

£3.30 - P13, W6, L7

£5.50 - P6, W5, L1

£11 - P2, W1, L1

£16.50 - P2, W2, L0

In total, P33, W20, L13, for a profit of £27.20, + 286 points. 

I was cruising to the 2nd £11 win, too, but then I got Jodded. Honestly, he's unbelievably hard to read, he really is.

Happy with things so far, £50 up after my first 3 sessions post Vegas. I'd be happy with that every week, I really would.

Only a short session tonight, as Gill is heading down for the weekend, so I'll need to quit at around 8pm, but I'll maybe manage 10 or 15 games first. No poker for me tomorrow, as we are off to the seaside, on a train, & we have even - wait for it - hired a Beach Hut for the day. From a 5 star swanky hotel in Las Vegas, to a Beach Hut, all in the same week.

Be back on Sunday though, for a full session.

Have a great weekend, whatever your plans.    

• edited July 2016
    Some of the beach huts down here cost more than a house!
  • edited July 2016
    Some of the beach huts down here cost more than a house!
    Posted by VespaPX
    I was amazed at the cost - I thought a one day rental would be about a fiver - it was 40 quid.

Where is "down here"? 
  • edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I was amazed at the cost - I thought a one day rental would be about a fiver - it was 40 quid. Where is "down here"?  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Mainly over on Mudeford overlooking Christchurch harbour.

Need to win a few more DYM's to afford those.
  • edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Mainly over on Mudeford overlooking Christchurch harbour. http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/11727806.The_five_Mudeford_beach_huts_up_for_sale_for_a_total_of___1m/
    Posted by VespaPX
    I thought you were down that way, which was why I asked. Spookily, that's quite near to our destination - Bournemouth.
  • edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I thought you were down that way, which was why I asked. Spookily, that's quite near to our destination - Bournemouth.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I live in Bournemouth :-)
  • edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I was amazed at the cost - I thought a one day rental would be about a fiver - it was 40 quid. Where is "down here"?  
    Posted by Tikay10
    £40 is the going rate in Newquay too.
  • edited July 2016

The Beach Hut Adventure was very good, Gill loved it. Bournemouth was heaving, the place was rammed. We walked to & from the Station to the beach, a distance of at least 130 miles. Uphill both ways, too.
  • edited July 2016

A satisfactory, if not spectacular, first week back Online.

The big surprise was how much traffic there was - never expected to be able to play over 30 games most nights during a heatwave in July.

Net profit on the week was £62.40 all told. Hardly setting the world on fire, but if I could do that every week for a year, that'd be £3,000, which would do very nicely.  

• edited July 2016

Summary of W/E 24th July

£1.15 - P 11, W5

£2.25 - P18, W11

£3.30 - P60, W29

£5.50 - P25, W19

£11 - P6, W4

£16.50, P4, W3

Total Played 124, W71, = 57.35%

Total Profit (incl £7.65 Rewards Payment) = £62.40

Profit per game = £0.50.

• edited July 2016
    A satisfactory, if not spectacular, first week back Online. The big surprise was how much traffic there was - never expected to be able to play over 30 games most nights during a heatwave in July. Net profit on the week was £62.40 all told. Hardly setting the world on fire, but if I could do that every week for a year, that'd be £3,000, which would do very nicely.     
    Posted by Tikay10

Hi Tony,

£3k, just about enough to cover a 6 week visit to LV in June & July next year perhaps?

Dave
  • edited July 2016
    The Beach Hut Adventure was very good, Gill loved it. Bournemouth was heaving, the place was rammed. We walked to & from the Station to the beach, a distance of at least 130 miles. Uphill both ways, too.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Barmouth station?
  • edited July 2016

Can't begin to tell you how pleased I am that a few new Diaries are up & running. Exactly what we need, imo.

As you may have noticed, I try to seed the Diaries with stuff to help rev them up. The Forum is having a good week so far. The thing with Diaries is sustaining them - it gets hard when we hit a downswing to expose ourselves to mocking when we lose several nights on the trot. Has to be done though.  

• edited July 2016

Lies, lies & stats.....

It's amazing how misleading stats can be.

On Monday, I lost 4 of the first 5, & 4 of the last 5, in a 30 game session. In total, I won 16 from 30.

That's a bad session, right?

Wrong. 

As it panned out, I lost badly (P18, W7) at £3.30, but won 4 from 6 @ £5.50, & 3 from 3 @ £11.

In total, 30 games played & 16 win is bad - a 53% win rate means we are losing. 

But.......over 30 games, I won £22.25, so that is £0.74 per game.

It's pure luck of course whether we win at one stake & lose at another. Don't think there is a huge skill difference between £3 & £5 games, or between £5 & £10 games. And there is no difference in skill between the £2 & £3 games.

So I'm running good since Vegas, 6 sessions, of which 2 were small losers & 4 were decent (£20 or more) winners. 

Think I'm due a change of luck, & can expect a bit of a downturn soon.

Did not play last night, was working, but I'll be back tonight. Can't wait.

See you later.      
  • edited July 2016

Lies, lies & stats (part 2).....

I mentioned yesterday how misleading stats can be, & also how important it was that we win the right games when playing at assorted stakes.

Last night, after losing 8 of the first 11, I ended up winning the game count 15-13, which is just about break-even - in theory.

In fact, as I lost both £11 games, & drew the £16.50 games 1-1, I lost a rather nasty £22.50. It actually felt like a win after being £49 down early doors. 

Not sure I did much wrong, just one of those nights when no matter how well we get it in, Matey Boy seemed to either get there, or turn up with better.

Think I was due a bad night. 

So, after 2 nights, & 58 games this week, I am in profit to the tune of exactly.....£0.20. 

oioi 
  • edited July 2016

A game of two halves.....

Strange night last night. Won 11 of the first 15 & was £35 quid up, then Miss Variance got the lip on with me & I lost 10 of the next 15. Not sure I played terribly well the last 15 either, to be honest, I had concentration issues.

I eventually won the game count narrowly, & made a small profit, but it felt like I'd thrown away too much profit. Every time we lose a game, we have to win one to stand still, so when I'm 11-4 up & end up 16-14, I feel I've been a bit silly.

Anyway, on the bright side, just as well I did so well first 15, as at least it ensured a bit of profit. 

The final game was com, one guy (nice chap, "tubsmithy") had 8,200, BBMike had 4,500, & noviceplay & I had 300 between us, with blinds at 300-600. ;)

It was real cat & mouse, as noviceplay was to my right, so faced the blinds before me. Eventually, after an eternity, all 4 of us got it in, & I lost the hand, but did better than novice who had less chips, so I got the win somehow. Yikes. Fun game, though, it was only a £3er, but real edge of the seat stuff.

An amazing number of new players played last night, Sky really do find ways to keep generating new players. In 2 of them, the new guys ran up huge stacks early, not sure they knew what they were doing, but we sure never knew either. Hard to play the guys that play unorthodox. The sad thing was that in both cases they lost the game, simply because, I assume, they don't know the difference between a DYM & an MTT. I felt like typing, "mate, you get the same for 1st, 2nd or 3rd, why are you playing every hand when you have half the chips & are locked?", but you can't, can you?

All good I suppose, but in a way it makes me sad. 

Hoping for a big weekend, starting tonight. Only one game above £5.50 ran last night, & I need more £11 & £15 games if I am to reach 1,000 points this week. At present I'm only on course for 800. Not a disaster, but 1,000 is the goal.

Have a great weekend, whatever your plans.        

• edited July 2016
    Enjoyed my short session last night, some good banter on one of the tables, apologies if any of it offended you. It was all meant in jest I can assure you.

The last table I played was a strange one though, I won't go into details here and I think the strangeness only started when we were 4 handed and you had left by then (sorry for the rub down!)

Other than that an enjoyable, if losing evening. Hope to play a bit over the weekend, maybe donate some more.
  • edited July 2016
    Enjoyed my short session last night, some good banter on one of the tables, apologies if any of it offended you. It was all meant in jest I can assure you. The last table I played was a strange one though, I won't go into details here and I think the strangeness only started when we were 4 handed and you had left by then (sorry for the rub down!) Other than that an enjoyable, if losing evening. Hope to play a bit over the weekend, maybe donate some more.
    Posted by Enut
    I don't have any recollection of that Paul, so by definition, it could not have offended me. I'd have remembered it if it did. ;)

Always good to see you amongst us, though you can be a right handful at times.   
  • edited July 2016
    I felt like typing, "mate, you get the same for 1st, 2nd or 3rd, why are you playing every hand when you have half the chips & are locked?", but you can't, can you? Posted by Tikay10
    Ha this is definitely an area I can have trouble with. As an MTT player at heart I get restless folding away when I probably should be and often try and take it upon myself far too often to try and bust the bubble when it would be more optimal to sit quietly and let others mix it up.

Great to see that you still seem to be thoroughly enjoying the games. It must take a bit of adjustment from balling it up in WSOP events and doing very well to keeping sharp focus and motivation in the £3.30's.

Looking forward to mixing it up and playing a few games with you, maybe at the weekend and definitely next week if you are playing. I will just have to give some thought to my approach when you start trying to pilage my BB's... :)
  • edited July 2016

The games were challenging last night. Not sure if I played badly, & I don't recall running especially badly, a few super-optimistic calls by others excepted, but try as I might, I could not get my head in front. At only one point in 30 games was I in profit, & that soon disappeared. Ended up losing the game count 16-14, & incurring a £20 loss, which is not good. Just one of those nights, I suspect.

Marky joined us for almost the first time since Vegas, & that always spices up the action, as he plays such an unorthodox game, & makes you really think. We banged heads way too often, think it ended up as a score draw.

In the early games, we all got roundly abused in most unpleasant terms (including the site) by one poor chap. Every time he typed he included see you next Tuesday. It was not as if he got unlucky, or was outdrawn, he just played bad hands badly, then abused us all. I always wonder about players like this - do they really enjoy their poker? For sure, if losing a hand of poker causes such angst, best thing they can do is pack the game in.

That apart, the table atmo was good all night.

One oddity is that in a 5 hour session of 30 games, not a single game at £10 or £15 ran, Most unusual. So that means my optimistic 1,000 point target for this week is well & truly out of the window.  I only have 468 points, so at best, it now looks like 700 or 750.

See you later.     

• edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Ha this is definitely an area I can have trouble with. As an MTT player at heart I get restless folding away when I probably should be and often try and take it upon myself far too often to try and bust the bubble when it would be more optimal to sit quietly and let others mix it up. Great to see that you still seem to be thoroughly enjoying the games. It must take a bit of adjustment from balling it up in WSOP events and doing very well to keeping sharp focus and motivation in the £3.30's. Looking forward to mixing it up and playing a few games with you, maybe at the weekend and definitely next week if you are playing. I will just have to give some thought to my approach when you start trying to pilage my BB's... :)
    Posted by markycash
    That's an interesting point I had not thought of.

The very last hand I played in Vegas was my exit hand (obv....) in the $3,000 WSOP PLO8, which is effectively the World Championship of PLO8 - there's not a bigger PLO8 Tourney in the world as far as I know. It was a loose open (A-J-3-6) & when I got 3 bet by Mr Loosey Goosey I stupidly chose to gamble, but I walked into bad aces (high only) & I failed to get anything. So that was it, I went & collected my $4,873 & never touched another card for the rest of the trip, as I was working.

Fast forward to getting home at 4pm on Tuesday 19th July, & I was back playing the DYM's within the hour. My first 4 games were 1 @ £1.15 & 3 @ £3.30, & I won all 4 for a profit of about a tenner. And they meant just as much, in some ways, as the Vegas tourneys.

The stakes don't matter, I just enjoy the game very much.

Having said that, since I got home, I've played 9 sessions, around 250 games, & made a profit of just....£54. Weird how I get equally excitement & enjoyment whatever the stake. To be fair, when the stakes get big, as in a WSOP event, the buzz is absolutely amazing, the best feeling in poker. But the nightly DYM session is something I still look forward to every day.     

• edited July 2016
    That Mister Kendall is a fantastic and rare quality that you posess.

I wonder will you change your mind though when a certain Mac returns!

Stay tuned!

Ger