You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    That Mister Kendall is a fantastic and rare quality that you posess. I wonder will you change your mind though when a certain Mac returns! Stay tuned! Ger
    Posted by gerardirl

If I have my way, she won't be returning. I plan to use my influence to get her banned, or at the very least, chat banned. Can't be doing with all her twaddle.
  • edited July 2016
    The games were challenging last night. Not sure if I played badly, & I don't recall running especially badly, a few super-optimistic calls by others excepted, but try as I might, I could not get my head in front. At only one point in 30 games was I in profit, & that soon disappeared. Ended up losing the game count 16-14, & incurring a £20 loss, which is not good. Just one of those nights, I suspect. Marky joined us for almost the first time since Vegas, & that always spices up the action, as he plays such an unorthodox game, & makes you really think. We banged heads way too often, think it ended up as a score draw.   In the early games, we all got roundly abused in most unpleasant terms (including the site) by one poor chap. Every time he typed he included see you next Tuesday. It was not as if he got unlucky, or was outdrawn, he just played bad hands badly, then abused us all. I always wonder about players like this - do they really enjoy their poker? For sure, if losing a hand of poker causes such angst, best thing they can do is pack the game in.   That apart, the table atmo was good all night.   One oddity is that in a 5 hour session of 30 games, not a single game at £10 or £15 ran, Most unusual. So that means my optimistic 1,000 point target for this week is well & truly out of the window.  I only have 468 points, so at best, it now looks like 700 or 750.   See you later.        
    Posted by Tikay10
    Have to agree with this. Makes Jill's comments a couple of months ago sound completely absurd.

I think because we have played a load together and hopefully will in future there is an element of trying to 'draw a line in the sand' so that neither of us are being too tight and shipping each other too many chips. I get the feeling we can both be quite stubborn (maybe I am wrong with you but I know I can be). As a result we are both playing a tad too wide against each other while struggling to find that line.

I remember the 2nd last session I played against you and I made a few -ev calls in the BB. I would happily have folded but you had open raised my BB I think maybe 3 orbits in a row so I was of the opinion I had to call quite wide so that in future games you would know I will only fold the blinds so often lol. Otherwise I would have been as well running the white flag up.

Not calling for a specific approach as obviously that wouldn't be fair either but I am sure the play will setlle down to more finely tuned ranges eventually :)

Not 100% sure yet but I get the feeling I will probably gravitate towards 90%+ MTT's with just a small smattering of DYM's mixed in so that may solve that issue. I really enjoy the DYM's but my patience isn't exactly where it should be in SNG's/DYM's these days and I get antsy and take too many risks, risks which make perfect sense in MTT's but are needless in DYM's.
  • edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : That's an interesting point I had not thought of. The very last hand I played in Vegas was my exit hand (obv....) in the $3,000 WSOP PLO8, which is effectively the World Championship of PLO8 - there's not a bigger PLO8 Tourney in the world as far as I know. It was a loose open (A-J-3-6) & when I got 3 bet by Mr Loosey Goosey I stupidly chose to gamble, but I walked into bad aces (high only) & I failed to get anything. So that was it, I went & collected my $4,873 & never touched another card for the rest of the trip, as I was working.   Fast forward to getting home at 4pm on Tuesday 19th July, & I was back playing the DYM's within the hour. My first 4 games were 1 @ £1.15 & 3 @ £3.30, & I won all 4 for a profit of about a tenner. And they meant just as much, in some ways, as the Vegas tourneys.   The stakes don't matter, I just enjoy the game very much.   Having said that, since I got home, I've played 9 sessions, around 250 games, & made a profit of just....£54. Weird how I get equally excitement & enjoyment whatever the stake. To be fair, when the stakes get big, as in a WSOP event, the buzz is absolutely amazing, the best feeling in poker. But the nightly DYM session is something I still look forward to every day.       
    Posted by Tikay10
    I think that is just your love of the game showing. Sure, the blood will get pumping that bit faster in a $3k WSOP event but at the end of the day you love playing whatever the stakes. Makes perfect sense :)

You kind of answered that one in your reply about 'grinding' in the 'attributes to be a poker player' thread.

I think I am fairly similar in that regard. I have had spells where it has firmly been a case of grinding out of necessity but I have always had a love of the game underneath. If I won the lottery tomorrow I would still love playing, whether it was for a WSOP bracelet or a packet of crisps.
  • edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Have to agree with this. Makes Jill's comments a couple of months ago sound completely absurd. I think because we have played a load together and hopefully will in future there is an element of trying to 'draw a line in the sand' so that neither of us are being too tight and shipping each other too many chips. I get the feeling we can both be quite stubborn (maybe I am wrong with you but I know I can be). As a result we are both playing a tad too wide against each other while struggling to find that line. I remember the 2nd last session I played against you and I made a few -ev calls in the BB. I would happily have folded but you had open raised my BB I think maybe 3 orbits in a row so I was of the opinion I had to call quite wide so that in future games you would know I will only fold the blinds so often lol. Otherwise I would have been as well running the white flag up. Not calling for a specific approach as obviously that wouldn't be fair either but I am sure the play will setlle down to more finely tuned ranges eventually :) Not 100% sure yet but I get the feeling I will probably gravitate towards 90%+ MTT's with just a small smattering of DYM's mixed in so that may solve that issue. I really enjoy the DYM's but my patience isn't exactly where it should be in SNG's/DYM's these days and I get antsy and take too many risks, risks which make perfect sense in MTT's but are needless in DYM's.
    Posted by markycash
    Was that player who made the comments called Jill or am I mixing her name up with your other half?
  • edited July 2016

No, the player who accused me of colluding with you was not called "Jill". He also accused Eon and I of colluding. Anyone with even a single digit IQ can see what nonsense that is, just lol at you or Eon giving me an easy ride.

He just dislikes me, & his comments continue. Don't think he likes anyone actually, he does not discriminate, he abuses and accuses us all equally. i doubt he even likes himself, or his dog, or his wife.
  • edited July 2016
    Ah okay, I thought the person who went off on one at me and you a couple of months ago was female, called Jill or Gillian or something. My memory is not what it used to be apparently :)

Not much you can do with those sorts (well apart from raining the ban hammer down on them obviously). He sounds like a real charmer.
  • edited July 2016
    Ah okay, I thought the person who went off on one at me and you a couple of months ago was female, called Jill or Gillian or something. My memory is not what it used to be apparently :) Not much you can do with those sorts (well apart from raining the ban hammer down on them obviously). He sounds like a real charmer.
    Posted by markycash
    It may have been - there are a few who don't like losing, & so lash out when they do.
  • edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : It may have been - there are a few who don't like losing, & so lash out when they do.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I'ts always nice to bust these players especially with a bag of spanners ;-)

• edited July 2016
    Ah okay, I thought the person who went off on one at me and you a couple of months ago was female, called Jill or Gillian or something. My memory is not what it used to be apparently :) Not much you can do with those sorts (well apart from raining the ban hammer down on them obviously). He sounds like a real charmer.
    Posted by markycash

I could hazard a guess at who this was ;-) normally plays NLHE 
  • edited July 2016
    And it was a different person that TK was talking about that had a go at you, him and Eon

• edited July 2016

Yes, he accused me of "keeping someone in the game" early this week because I didn't attack a small blind shorty with Ger sat in the BB. Busted him a few hands later,which was nice.
  • edited July 2016

Ahh yes, think I know who you are talking about now, & it was not the player I was originally referring to.

Last time I recall he/she threatened to report Marky & I to Customer Care for colluding. Clearly has problems with observational skills......

• edited July 2016

Many of the PLO8 players will be delighted to know that Karen, aka MacacGirl1, came into the chat box last night for a while, & said she may be playing in the next day or so.

For the record, "many" does not include me.

• edited July 2016

Whoops, I did it again

Last night, 15 games in, I had won 12 of the 15, & was £30 up, which is an average profit of a very handsome £2 per game, especially as most of the games were £3ers.

15 games later, I had narrowly edged the game count 17-13, & made a loss of £2.40 on the session.

Marv. Really don't like giving it back after I've won it.

And for the 2nd night running, no games ran above £5.50 - at least, not until I finished my 30 games. Moments later, the first biggie started.

This is pretty painful reading for last night;

£2.25 - P4, W4, L0

£3.30 - P18, W9, L9

£5.50 - P8, W4, L4

The only straw of comfort is that I only made one really bad play, it was generally just variance &, I suppose, not imposing myself on the games. The bad play was com, I had the nuts on a fairly dry turn, & decided to give my man a free card as he was such a station & would deffo pay me off on the river. That sure worked. Not.   

• edited July 2016
    Many of the PLO8 players will be delighted to know that Karen, aka MacacGirl1, came into the chat box last night for a while, & said she may be playing in the next day or so. For the record, "many" does not include me.   
    Posted by Tikay10

I will be playing today. I'm busy cooking but should still find the time to get the spite call forefinger into action.
    xx

• edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I will be playing today. I'm busy cooking but should still find the time to get the spite call forefinger into action. xx
    Posted by Macacgirl1

And in shock news, a Karen post includes reference to food.
  • edited July 2016
    Busy day.
    Sweet pepper and tomato soup.
    A quiche.
    Baking bread.
    Roasting a chicken & joint of beef.
    Russian salad. Greek salad.
    Sherry trifle & Chocolate pudding.
  • edited July 2016
    Busy day. Sweet pepper and tomato soup. A quiche. Baking bread. Roasting a chicken & joint of beef. Russian salad. Greek salad. Sherry trifle & Chocolate pudding.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Table for one?     Dont forget the ketchup.
  • edited July 2016
    "Table for one?"

Hopefully.

• edited July 2016
    I think I'll have to give up. I've only played a couple of games, but for some reason, sometimes  I am min raising when I hit fold. Not ideal!  Will dig out the old netbook later and try playing on that.

Figured it. Not that anyone is interested but me, but my mouse was dodgy. right clicky thing was playing up, so have lobbed it in the bin.
  • edited July 2016
    And for the 2nd night running, no games ran above £5.50 - at least, not until I finished my 30 games. Moments later, the first biggie started.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Not playing much tonight but will try and reg for a decent amount of £5.50+ games this coming week and hopefully help a little to get the games moving. Looking to get properly back into this poker stuff in the coming week with an eye on the Punta Cana packages.
  • edited August 2016
    I loved playing yesterday. Lots of new names and some old names missing, don't know if they've given up or just having a night off though.
    No Jod? No Amazon? Has Motheeerrrr given up?
    Profitwise my night was a roaring success, I spent all my winnings this morning on a kitkat and curlywurly.
  • edited August 2016

Amazingly busy last night, especially for the time of year, & I rattled through my 30 games in well under 4 hours. I had to de-reg a few games at one stage, as I had 6 on the go already, & my little lappie does not have screen-room for more than 6.

Has anyone noticed how good Helland is? Never saw him lose a game last night. Very quiet style, no dramatics or high variance stuff, just sits there quietly & gets the job done, game after game. Lyn1965 is another who just gets it done quietly, no fuss, no drama, & is one I try to avoid clashing with, as he/she usually has the goods.

Much impressed with how much Cheezy has improved recently.

The evening was fun throughout with one exception - we were joined by Macacgirl1, & she was prattling on about food, not helped by "Chamois" (mmmchips) discussing food with her. Never encourage these people, by chatting to them, I say.

Most enjoyable night, & we actually got 2 x £11 games to run, too.   

• edited August 2016
    I loved playing yesterday. Lots of new names and some old names missing, don't know if they've given up or just having a night off though. No Jod? No Amazon? Has Motheeerrrr given up? Profitwise my night was a roaring success, I spent all my winnings this morning on a kitkat and curlywurly.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Groan, speak of the devil & she shall appear.

MOTHER mainly plays fiver NLH DYM's these days, but pops onto the PLO8 jobbies now & then, she played one on Saturday as I recall - she likes to share tables with me, see?

Jod is still around, but not seen him for about a week, last time we banged heads was in a tenner jobbie & he jodded me with the old K-9-9-7, all-in pre-flop in Level 1.

Remind me who "Amazon" is?

Was good to see you last night. Ish. 

You head off on Thursday, until when?

When is the wedding?  

• edited August 2016

Now the boring bit, the numbers.....

Last night

Lost the best of 5 @ £2.25, got absolutely hammered in the £3.30's, nearly had a clean sweep in the £5.50, & won both of the tenner affairs. 

£2.25, P5, W3, L2

£3.30 P17, W6, L10

£5.50, P7, W6, L1

£11 P2, W2, L0

Ended up with a handy profit on the night of £19.45. About time too.   
  • edited August 2016
    And for the week.....

A monsta profit of £7.70, which includes £6.94 in Rewards Payment. Ugh.

£1.15 P2, W2, L0

£2.25 P20, W12, L8

£3.30 P104, W50, L54

£5.50 P42, W23, L19

£11.00 P8, W6, L2

£16.50 P2, W1, L1

Rewards Payment - £6.94. 
  • edited August 2016
    Now the boring bit, the numbers..... Last night Lost the best of 5 @ £2.25, got absolutely hammered in the £3.30's, nearly had a clean sweep in the £5.50, & won both of the tenner affairs.  £2.25, P5, W3, L2 £3.30 P17, W6, L10 £5.50, P7, W6, L1 £11 P2, W2, L0 Ended up with a handy profit on the night of £19.45. About time too.   
    Posted by Tikay10

Well that explains where my £20 went. Don't think of it as a gift though, it's a loan and will be repaid WITH INTEREST!

Other than that a thoroughty enjoyable evening, except for the mental image of Karen sitting on your lap, some people of weak constitutions may have been scarred for life.
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Well that explains where my £20 went. Don't think of it as a gift though, it's a loan and will be repaid WITH INTEREST! Other than that a thoroughty enjoyable evening, except for the mental image of Karen sitting on your lap, some people of weak constitutions may have been scarred for life.
    Posted by Enut
    I was asked on another table "have you had the pleasure of Karen tonight?"

Was not entirely sure how to answer that in a compliant manner. I'm sure, however, the pleasure was all Karen's.
  • edited August 2016
    HMSAmazon, he always used to be playing.
    We fly Saturday, but I think my last chance to have a game or three will be Thursday.
    Coming back November the 2nd I think it is. Something like that. We have to fly via Athens that time of year so I let MrFattyBellyMac sort the flights and stopover hotel.
    Wedding was last week, kids on honeymoon now on a cruise, whatever floats your boat I suppose.
    New Greek relatives in UK with us now to meet new Brit relatives who didn't go to wedding (done) and to have a wee break themselves. They've headed off to London this morning for two days sightseeing, first time for all of them. In truth I think they will be diving into the first Greek restaurant they can find. When I gave them some trifle yesterday, you'd think from their expression that I'd just told them Gary Glitter was the new school caretaker.

What's wrong with K997? Brilliant hand that.
  • edited August 2016
    I noticed the £3 tables I played yesterday were being played differently to how I remember. The norm yesterday appeared to be to play normally until fourhanded, then regardless of stack size etc, any four cards would shove on the button and any four cards on BB would be calling. it may have just been the games I played, but it seemed to happen every game. Folding on the BB with 2000+ chips still left, didn't seem to be an option.