You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Playing the mini/main and two league games the other night was bordering on torture! Not only the speed of four tables with two variants, but the fact even when tiled, the tables on sky poker aren't as neat as they could be.
    Posted by nickkay
    It's a nightmare, isn't it?

Tiled are not neat? Not sure why that is - I tile 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 tables & they fit perfectly.
  • edited August 2016
    Could be my laptop, which isn't the newest. Tile anymore than 2 and they don't fit my screen properly.

Other poker sites (ahem) automatically fit them nicely. Maybe I'll just have to stick to overlapping.

Next time I play multiple tables, I'll screen shot what my issue is.
  • edited August 2016

Before we leave the "running bad" theme.

Our biggest games are the £16.50. Not many run - 8 ran last week, & this week looks like being similar. 

So when we play them, we really concentrate, & the beats do sting a bit.

Now imagine getting the lot in pre, with something like A-K-3-4 v A-K-2-4. That exact scenario happened TWICE this week in £16.50 games, both involving Pompeynic & me.

On BOTH occasions, there was no low.
      On BOTH occasions the 2 landed, & was good enough to scoop the lot.

That's "pretty thin" to put it mildly.

And that is how Nick has run all this week - shocker after shocker after shocker. 

I'm almost scared to call him now, as I just know I'm gonna put a horrid one on him.

It's not just me, either - folks are outdrawing Nick for fun, game after game, sometimes with really really bad plays which somehow get there. He dominates at both ends, yet gets beat both ends.

I'm not sure I've ever seen one player run so badly over a week.

He keeps cheerful & upbeat on the surface, because he is a proper man, but it must sting a bit. 

And he is not doing a thing wrong. He is still making moves, too, but every time he does, I seem to wake up with a monsta. He tried one last night from the SB, his hand was terribad, but what are the chances I can find the call? But there I was in the Big with a real big one.

Feel for you Nick, & I'm not even sure what to suggest. It'll turn eventually, it always does, but right now, it can't be much fun.

Keep your chin up mate.  

• edited August 2016
    Could be my laptop, which isn't the newest. Tile anymore than 2 and they don't fit my screen properly. Other poker sites (ahem) automatically fit them nicely. Maybe I'll just have to stick to overlapping. Next time I play multiple tables, I'll screen shot what my issue is.
    Posted by nickkay
    That's very odd. My laptop is about 8 years old, a real piece of PC poo, but on Sky Poker 6 tables tile & fit perfectly, no overlap, could not be better.

7 I can't manage, I get overlap, but 6 fit exactly.

• edited August 2016

With 5 games on the go last night, suddenly a £16.50 & a £5.50 opened, & neither would load.

1 or 2 of the games were at the sharp end, so I decided to wait until they ended before closing the Client & re-opening.

But those games just went on, & on, & on.......

And, very kindly, all the players were, one after the other, coming to my "live" tables to tell me I was away in the 2 games.

By the time the first 2 ended, the other 3 were at the critical stage, so I could not afford the time to close & re-open.

Eventually, all bar one ended, & I had half the chips in the other, so I closed & re-opened, & the £16.50 & £5.50 games I was down to 1,000 chips.

Somehow, aided by some chunks of luck, a lot of patience, & some well-timed pushes with poo, I won both. Most satisfying. 

Later, I got knocked down to 200 chips at 25-50, & somehow recovered to win.

These are the wins which really give us a buzz.

Meanwhile, Nick is still getting beat after beat. 

My turn for the downswing, & Nick's turn for the upswing, maybe.

See you later.  

• edited August 2016
    I don't generally talk about bad beats & stuff, but a quick mention of a few mates who are having a tough time right now. First up, Tuney is having a shocker, he can't seem to do a thing right. Takes it like a man though, wp him.   Even Ger, who is rock solid ABC, had a bad run this week, winning just 5 from 19 I think.   On which subject, he mentioned this in the chat box. As you well know, Ger mentions a lot of things in the chat box, but I digress.   On the same table was mmmmchips, aka Chippy. Chippy is Marmite, a sort of David Brent/Ricky Gervais, you either love or hate him. He's subtle, VERTY subtle, & immensely funny, but not everyone's cup of tea. I love him to bits.  So, Ger says " I'm running shocking, won just 5 from 19 ", & quick as a flash, Chippy types " well done on winning the 5 though". Priceless.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    I just hate brag posts, vwp Chippy by the way, vwp.
  • edited August 2016
    Before we leave the "running bad" theme. Our biggest games are the £16.50. Not many run - 8 ran last week, & this week looks like being similar.  So when we play them, we really concentrate, & the beats do sting a bit. Now imagine getting the lot in pre, with something like A-K-3-4 v A-K-2-4. That exact scenario happened TWICE this week in £16.50 games, both involving Pompeynic & me.   On BOTH occasions, there was no low.   On BOTH occasions the 2 landed, & was good enough to scoop the lot . That's "pretty thin" to put it mildly. And that is how Nick has run all this week - shocker after shocker after shocker.   I'm almost scared to call him now, as I just know I'm gonna put a horrid one on him. It's not just me, either - folks are outdrawing Nick for fun, game after game, sometimes with really really bad plays which somehow get there. He dominates at both ends, yet gets beat both ends. I'm not sure I've ever seen one player run so badly over a week.   He keeps cheerful & upbeat on the surface, because he is a proper man, but it must sting a bit.  And he is not doing a thing wrong. He is still making moves, too, but every time he does, I seem to wake up with a monsta. He tried one last night from the SB, his hand was terribad, but what are the chances I can find the call? But there I was in the Big with a real big one.   Feel for you Nick, & I'm not even sure what to suggest. It'll turn eventually, it always does, but right now, it can't be much fun. Keep your chin up mate.         
    Posted by Tikay10

Ha, I moaned it in for Nick.

This is SO good.

Half Time Tournament (£5 buy-in)

pompeynic 7   £100

Can't keep a good man down.
  • edited August 2016
    After a Saturday morning where I did not play well at all and also had a couple of the now expected ouchies, I decided to chuck another fiver down the drain in the half time tournie.
    Well the poker gods taketh away, but , If we hang on in there, they giveth as well. £100 for finishing seventh was very very welcome indeed. Almost but not quite eradicating what has been the worst week for losses I have had (not including occasional dips into the big tournaments I used to play) I probably could have laddered up but was trying to win, got it in good and, well, you know the rest.
    So happy you would not believe it, Just a little sorry I had to end Tony's run but was pleased to see he got £40 as well.
    Thanks to all those who turned up to wish me well
    Nick
  • edited August 2016
    vwp.. ill miby use my tokens and try tomorrows one.
  • edited August 2016
    After a Saturday morning where I did not play well at all and also had a couple of the now expected ouchies, I decided to chuck another fiver down the drain in the half time tournie. Well the poker gods taketh away, but , If we hang on in there, they giveth as well. £100 for finishing seventh was very very welcome indeed. Almost but not quite eradicating what has been the worst week for losses I have had (not including occasional dips into the big tournaments I used to play) I probably could have laddered up but was trying to win, got it in good and, well, you know the rest. So happy you would not believe it, Just a little sorry I had to end Tony's run but was pleased to see he got £40 as well. Thanks to all those who turned up to wish me well Nick
    Posted by pompeynic
    Thought it said a lot that many of the O8 regulars, who knew you were on a bad run, turned up on the Rail to wish you well. We look after our own, eh?

Looked to me that you ran a little better last night, too, I saw you win a couple of £10 jobbies. (Better than me - P3, L3.....).

Amazing game, this poker, it messes with us, teases us, & when we least expect it, pleases us.
  • edited August 2016

Churchy wrote.....

"....here is that hand was i right to fold i just felt u had 44 if i was short would never have folded but with still double the other 2 on the bubble was i right to fold....."

In short, he folded Aces full to me, as he feared I may have quad fours. It was a £16.50 DYM. (I had the under boat, not my greatest play to be fair).

Good fold? On the face of it, no, a terrible fold.

But......

It was a really weird game. Eon busted early (& horribly) to Mr Klute, who we can assume was new to this format, who was running amok, & was making life awkward for everyone. You & me were in a comfy 2nd & 3rd, with aldaz & w4rlock both very short.

Whilst we should not generally be folding Aces full, before we make ANY call in an O8 DYM we need to consider 2 things:

1) The "stack dynamic". What have the other players got, do we need to take risks here given we have a healthy stack & others are very short?

2 This one is VERY important. Can we SCOOP, or are we risking our stack simply to get half the pot back? In other words, no upside AT ALL & lots of downside. The money went in on the turn, (A-4-4-7) so I can very easily & often will have 2-3 here. You had no (realistic) low of course. So you are calling to chop. Does it make sense to take even a tiny risk when you wont make a single chip of profit?

Daft as it sounds, I think it was a very clever fold, well done you. (If you had been multi-formatting - NLH MTT, PLO8 MTT & PLO8 DYM, could you still have thought this through correctly?). You are almost always ahead here for the high, but almost never scooping. I'm a folding too.

You probably know, but I was lucky enough to play the $3,000 WSOP PLO8 this summer. That is THE biggest PLO8 Tournament in the world, the real "World Championship of PLO8".

One geezer got quartered in Level One calling to chop in a 3 way coup, & then started moaning "how bad do I run?". Ten minutes later, he did exactly the same thing in a 4 way coup, & he got "sixthed". So he nobbed off HALF of his stack in 2 hands in Level One when he could not possibly scoop either. And that was in a $3,000 thing. He simply did not "get" O8. 

• edited August 2016
    Churchy wrote..... "....here is that hand was i right to fold i just felt u had 44 if i was short would never have folded but with still double the other 2 on the bubble was i right to fold....." In short, he folded Aces full to me, as he feared I may have quad fours. It was a £16.50 DYM. (I had the under boat, not my greatest play to be fair). Good fold? On the face of it, no, a terrible fold. But...... It was a really weird game. Eon busted early (& horribly) to Mr Klute, who we can assume was new to this format, who was running amok, & was making life awkward for everyone. You & me were in a comfy 2nd & 3rd, with aldaz & w4rlock both very short.   Whilst we should not generally be folding Aces full, before we make ANY call in an O8 DYM we need to consider 2 things: 1) The "stack dynamic". What have the other players got, do we need to take risks here given we have a healthy stack & others are very short? 2 This one is VERY important. Can we SCOOP, or are we risking our stack simply to get half the pot back? In other words, no upside AT ALL & lots of downside. The money went in on the turn, (A-4-4-7) so I can very easily & often will have 2-3 here. You had no (realistic) low of course. So you are calling to chop. Does it make sense to take even a tiny risk when you wont make a single chip of profit? Daft as it sounds, I think it was a very clever fold, well done you. (If you had been multi-formatting - NLH MTT, PLO8 MTT & PLO8 DYM, could you still have thought this through correctly?). You are almost always ahead here for the high, but almost never scooping. I'm a folding too.   You probably know, but I was lucky enough to play the $3,000 WSOP PLO8 this summer. That is THE biggest PLO8 Tournament in the world, the real "World Championship of PLO8".   One geezer got quartered in Level One calling to chop in a 3 way coup, & then started moaning "how bad do I run?". Ten minutes later, he did exactly the same thing in a 4 way coup, & he got "sixthed". So he nobbed off HALF of his stack in 2 hands in Level One when he could not possibly scoop either. And that was in a $3,000 thing. He simply did not "get" O8.     
    Posted by Tikay10

News to me.

• edited August 2016

Quick update on last week's numbers.

No great dramas, big wining/losing days, all pretty steady.

Managed a win rate of 59% (115 from 195) which is ok, but lost the wrong games (the bigger ones) so it did not reflect well in the £ results.

Overall a profit of £59, but that includes a £35 profit from a HTT, £9 of Rewards money, and £3 lost in the Heads Up thing, so really, in DYM's, I only made around £18.

Nothing to shout about, but its a profit, so that'll do me just fine, & the roll is just £20 below it's all time high, which was on May 28th. In the 4 days following that, I had one of my biggest downswings ever, £200, & it's taken all this time (minus 7 weeks in Vegas) to get back to where I was.

All good then, though I started this week badly, losing £19 last night. Deserved to, too. 

Traffic was extremely light last night, then it suddenly picked up at around 8.30pm.   

• edited August 2016
    This is why I love PLO8. You pretty much know where you are in hands the vast majority of the time, even when people take wierd betting lines (rarely) as opposed to NLH.

See you two fish at the tables later ;)
  • edited August 2016
    .... very strange one last night - down and out with 120 chips - ten hands later cashed in 1st position - lots and lots of luck and why we love PLO8 :)
  • edited August 2016
    .... very strange one last night - down and out with 120 chips - ten hands later cashed in 1st position - lots and lots of luck and why we love PLO8 :)
    Posted by imber
    Yes
    I particulary enjoyed that game :)
  • edited August 2016
    Posted by imber
    Well done Imber.

Who finished 4th?
  • edited August 2016

sorry i tell a lie - I was second (well stacked) - and sadly it was Jac who finished 4th - but as s/he said it was a great game!

HENDRIK62
     67001£6
    imber51652£6
    bbMike1353£6
    Jac3504 
    derryabu105 
    skychips06
  • edited August 2016

Just a few little updates.

The level of traffic (for a hot August) has been astonishing, & come the winter the games are going to be heaving.

I can only manage 6 tables, & generally, that is just about right, the games run just enough that I can keep 5 or 6 tables on the go all evening. The last few sessions have been a bit of a headache, as 7, 8 & 9 games have suddenly popped up, & then I'm in a right mess & can't cope.

So I think, once the traffic gets busy mid evening, I'll have to cut down on the smaller games so I can focus properly on the bigger (£5, £11 & £16.50) games. Last night 5 games ran at £11, & 3 at £16.50, & I won each by the odd game. But with so few of these (relatively) its important to do well in them as their value skews our results.

Eon managed an amazing 8 from 8 on Tuesday, well done him.

huuuume joined us last night, my word he is tough to play. I have a plan when I play against him, but he's a formidable opponent. Once he gets a stack, that's it, it all gets very awkward. We had him bang to rights in one game last night, but then someone doubled him up in ridic fashion, & once that happens, the going gets tough. Lovely to see such good players, & we can all learn from them.

Jac has been playing a good few of these this last week, he's pretty canny, & completely gets DYM logic. He is inexperienced (so far) at O8, but his DYM abilities overcome that, & he does not make those silly mistakes that so many do.

My last full session tonight until Monday, though I may manage a short session early doors tomorrow. I'm going away for a couple of days at the weekend, so that'll be it until Monday.

I am hoping I get a few bob from the Premiership thing today. I missed Tuesday, due to work, but am hoping I just about clung on. I was in the £50 spot after Monday, but that won't hold, but I might cling on for £25.

I stuck my jeans in the washing machine this morning, with all my credit cards in the back pocket. This is a bad thing. 

See you guys tonight.

• edited August 2016
    Just a few little updates. The level of traffic (for a hot August) has been astonishing, & come the winter the games are going to be heaving. I can only manage 6 tables, & generally, that is just about right, the games run just enough that I can keep 5 or 6 tables on the go all evening. The last few sessions have been a bit of a headache, as 7, 8 & 9 games have suddenly popped up, & then I'm in a right mess & can't cope. So I think, once the traffic gets busy mid evening, I'll have to cut down on the smaller games so I can focus properly on the bigger (£5, £11 & £16.50) games. Last night 5 games ran at £11, & 3 at £16.50, & I won each by the odd game. But with so few of these (relatively) its important to do well in them as their value skews our results.   Eon managed an amazing 8 from 8 on Tuesday, well done him.   huuuume joined us last night, my word he is tough to play. I have a plan when I play against him, but he's a formidable opponent. Once he gets a stack, that's it, it all gets very awkward. We had him bang to rights in one game last night, but then someone doubled him up in ridic fashion, & once that happens, the going gets tough. Lovely to see such good players, & we can all learn from them.   Jac has been playing a good few of these this last week, he's pretty canny, & completely gets DYM logic. He is inexperienced (so far) at O8, but his DYM abilities overcome that, & he does not make those silly mistakes that so many do.   My last full session tonight until Monday, though I may manage a short session early doors tomorrow. I'm going away for a couple of days at the weekend, so that'll be it until Monday.   I am hoping I get a few bob from the Premiership thing today. I missed Tuesday, due to work, but am hoping I just about clung on. I was in the £50 spot after Monday, but that won't hold, but I might cling on for £25. I stuck my jeans in the washing machine this morning, with all my credit cards in the back pocket. This is a bad thing.  See you guys tonight.      
    Posted by Tikay10
    Does it involve lots of folding?
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Does it involve lots of folding?
    Posted by MattBates
    No, that's Plan A.

Plan B is fold everything.

More seriously, yes, of course. Don't think I'm gonna be telling you what it is though. ;)

Not suggesting it works, either, but you have to adapt to these guys & try to find a way to combat them. 

Luckily, for every really good player there is a Jac, so it all balances out.

• edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : No, that's Plan A. Plan B is fold everything. More seriously, yes, of course. Don't think I'm gonna be telling you what it is though. ;) Not suggesting it works, either, but you have to adapt to these guys & try to find a way to combat them.  Luckily, for every really good player there is a Jac, so it all balances out.  
    Posted by Tikay10

A plan, sir?

Is it a cunning and subtle one?

As cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University?

• edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : A plan, sir? Is it a cunning and subtle one? As cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University?
    Posted by MattBates
    Ahhhh Blackadder, but surely that should be FOxford University.

• edited August 2016
    Just a few little updates. The level of traffic (for a hot August) has been astonishing, & come the winter the games are going to be heaving.
    Posted by Tikay10
    They must all leave early for bed, I sat in the lobby from 10pm Tues and Weds, managed a total of 1 PLO8 DYM before finishing up about 12.30 each night.
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : They must all leave early for bed, I sat in the lobby from 10pm Tues and Weds, managed a total of 1 PLO8 DYM before finishing up about 12.30 each night.
    Posted by bbMike

Hi Mike,

Well I was AWOL on Tuesday, so cannot comment, but at least 5 games started after 10pm last night.

It's a little geeky that I know this - don't ask - but I record the starting time (& other detail) of every game I play, & the games after 10pm last night started at.....

22.04 - £3.30

22.08 - £11.00

22.08 - £5.50

22.14 £3.30

22.19 - £16.50

There may have been more, I've no idea, as I stopped regging after that as I'd played 35 games by then, which is enough for me on a weekday evening.  

• edited August 2016
    Good going tikay, I think you promote the plo8 game really well. To the point I decided to try it out, and found it to be alot of fun. I need to do a bit more study before I try the higher buyins, but I thank you for bringing a new refreshing game to my attention.

GL at the tables.

Tim
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Hi Mike, Well I was AWOL on Tuesday, so cannot comment, but at least 5 games started after 10pm last night. It's a little geeky that I know this - don't ask - but I record the starting time (& other detail) of every game I play, & the games after 10pm last night started at..... 22.04 - £3.30 22.08 - £11.00 22.08 - £5.50 22.14 £3.30 22.19 - £16.50 There may have been more, I've no idea, as I stopped regging after that as I'd played 35 games by then, which is enough for me on a weekday evening.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Interesting thanks.

I must have been a little later then as I don't think our paths crossed. I sat in two £3s and a £5 last night and only the one £3 got going. Perhaps the tables fill faster when you're still in the lobbies ;)

I'd play the higher ones if I wasn't playing Holdem DYMs at the same time but tend to stick to 3 and 5 mostly.

• edited August 2016
    Good going tikay, I think you promote the plo8 game really well. To the point I decided to try it out, and found it to be alot of fun. I need to do a bit more study before I try the higher buyins, but I thank you for bringing a new refreshing game to my attention. GL at the tables. Tim
    Posted by devil_tear
    Thanks very much Tim, really appreciate that. That's the whole idea of the little Diary/Challenge really. Get a bit of buzz and zing going, namecheck the regulars, many of whom have become good friends, & help each other out.

When we begun the exercise, the PLO8 DYMs were very quiet indeed. Together, we have built this traffic ourselves, without moaning & groaning at Sky to do something for us, or pointing fingers. We just went & did it. A perfect example of player power used constructively. And all the more satisfying that we did it ourselves. 

A lot more of the 2 card boys have migrated across recently.

For you, after playing so many £50 NLH DYM's, it must seem like small beer, but as you have seen, it's real fun, & the lads & lasses here don't take themselves too seriously.    

• edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Interesting thanks. I must have been a little later then as I don't think our paths crossed. I sat in two £3s and a £5 last night and only the one £3 got going. Perhaps the tables fill faster when you're still in the lobbies ;) I'd play the higher ones if I wasn't playing Holdem DYMs at the same time but tend to stick to 3 and 5 mostly.
    Posted by bbMike
    BOOMIO.

You might just be right there, Mike.