You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited April 2016
    Hi Tikay,

Delighted to hear about Vegas, and also delighted that it excites you so much, dont ask when are you gonna grow up, it will be a bad sign when things like that dont excite you!

Great to hear things are good all round for you too, be it work or home.

Yes markycash has been one of the good ones that have recently joined the plo8 party. Its all these different styles that make the game so interesting and trying to figure our opponents out. 
    Sound like your game is on the up which is great to see also.

Ger
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Finally, for now anyway, my health is much better than it was earlier this year. I had piled on the weight, & as a result, it took it's toll. On Jan 16th I started hard dieting, & a daily 2 mile walk, & since then I've dropped 2.5 stones. Feel much better now, I really do.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Wow

N1 teeks

• edited April 2016
    Great news that you are feeling much better.

Also great that you will be in Vegas again this year.

We arrive Friday the 3rd , if your back on the lattes the first one is on me.

Pat

Finally, for now anyway, my health is much better than it was earlier this year. I had piled on the weight, & as a result, it took it's toll. On Jan 16th I started hard dieting, & a daily 2 mile walk, & since then I've dropped 2.5 stones. Feel much better now, I really do.  
    Posted by Tikay10
  • edited April 2016
    i,m glad you,re feeling much better wd on the weight loss keep it off now
    have fun in your spiritual home with the missus
  • edited April 2016
    No problem at all Tikay and thanks for the kind words! Just a pity it hasn't translated to harder results yet. Interesting and informative talking oh8 with you and has helped me reconsider parts of my own game too.
    Posted by markycash
    Julian Thew, Dave Colclough & I used to do this all the time, when I took the game seriously, amazing how we learned so much by doing so.

Had a good night at the tables last night & won 18 from 30, which is 60%. Still managed to lose £2.10 though. Bang out of order that.  

• edited April 2016

I shared a table with what was, I assume, a newbie last night. He was rampant, & had 7,000 chips 4 handed. He had not folded a single hand all game.

I potted it with A-A-2-5 DS, & he 3 bet me. In they all go.

He has the O8tastic......

J-5-5-5 rainbow.

So he can't hit a 5, a low, a straight, or a flush.

oioi

• edited April 2016
    Great to hear your heading back to Vegas Tikay.  I hope you don't get propositioned by any strange guys wearing tutu's ;) I hope I'm still getting excited to visit Vegas when I'm well past your age.  What a place. Congrats on the loss of weight.  Losing weight/changing body shape has to be one of the toughest things to do.  It's to easy and very tempting to eat and drink rubbish almost anytime of the day and it's constantly pushed in our faces.  Did you have to have a diet rehaul or was walking enough to lose the weight? I hear there are some great treks in/around the Grand Canyon (I'm not sure how taxing they are) but might be a fun trip.  I did some walking at Red Rock Canyon which was great but I don't reccommend going midday.  Was great to get out the city for a few days and see some of the great places Arizona/Nevada has to offer.  I loved the meteor crater in Arizona too. I'm sure I've heard about a Vegas marathon if your training is going well, fancy it? Good luck getting the poker results back on track. James
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Thanks James.

Yup, Vegas is the nuts. I'd not say it is the best place I've visited, not by a long shot (St Petersburg tops that list, & it's not even close) but for poker in the summer, & all that goes with it, yeah, I love it to bits & still get as excited as I did the very first time I went. Off the plane, dump the bags in the room, playing poker by 5pm. Can't beat it.

Diet rehaul? Absolutely. Had to cut out all the good food which is bad (sticky buns, lattes & the like), & now I only eat bad food which is good (Ryvitas, white meat, fruit etc). It's easy enough to do though, & we only need to look at half the world who are starving, or don't have running water, & it becomes easy. Must add, this diet will end at 5am prompt, on June 3rd. Latte on the way to the airport, fried brekkie when I get there. Oh yes.

I could not do any walking in Vegas as I can't take more than 20 minutes exposure to the sun, I get some pretty horrid reactions to bright sunshine.

The only place I can stay outside over there is up at Mount Charlston, which is 30 minutes drive from Vegas. 30f cooler up there in the mountains, & it's one of my favourite places in the whole world. You'd enjoy walking around that place, it's just so beautiful, & the air is beautifully crisp. You need a jumper though, it gets well chilly - it snowed there earlier this week. They even have a Ski Resort up there. Hard to imagine, just 30 mins from Vegas, but it's true.   

• edited April 2016
    I shared a table with what was, I assume, a newbie last night. He was rampant, & had 7,000 chips 4 handed. He had not folded a single hand all game.   I potted it with A-A-2-5 DS, & he 3 bet me. In they all go. He has the O8tastic...... J-5-5-5 rainbow. So he can't hit a 5, a low, a straight, or a flush. oioi  
    Posted by Tikay10
    So the flop came J-J-J then huh?
  • edited April 2016

Thanks for the replies Elliott, Ger, Gelders & Stokey, appreciated.  
  • edited April 2016
    Great news that you are feeling much better. Also great that you will be in Vegas again this year. We arrive Friday the 3rd , if your back on the lattes the first one is on me. Pat In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? :
    Posted by day4eire76
    BOOKED.

Will I be back on the lattes & sticky buns? You bet.

• edited April 2016
    I shared a table with what was, I assume, a newbie last night. He was rampant, & had 7,000 chips 4 handed. He had not folded a single hand all game.   I potted it with A-A-2-5 DS, & he 3 bet me. In they all go. He has the O8tastic...... J-5-5-5 rainbow. So he can't hit a 5, a low, a straight, or a flush. oioi  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thought they were some very good games last night the new players kept me honest because they called every raise 
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? :  I can't take more than 20 minutes exposure to the sun, I get some pretty horrid reactions to bright sunshine.  
    Posted by Tikay10

Standard internet poker-player condition :)

• edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Thanks James. Yup, Vegas is the nuts. I'd not say it is the best place I've visited, not by a long shot (St Petersburg tops that list, & it's not even close) but for poker in the summer, & all that goes with it, yeah, I love it to bits & still get as excited as I did the very first time I went. Off the plane, dump the bags in the room, playing poker by 5pm. Can't beat it. Diet rehaul? Absolutely. Had to cut out all the good food which is bad (sticky buns, lattes & the like), & now I only eat bad food which is good (Ryvitas, white meat, fruit etc). It's easy enough to do though, & we only need to look at half the world who are starving, or don't have running water, & it becomes easy. Must add, this diet will end at 5am prompt, on June 3rd. Latte on the way to the airport, fried brekkie when I get there. Oh yes. I could not do any walking in Vegas as I can't take more than 20 minutes exposure to the sun, I get some pretty horrid reactions to bright sunshine.   The only place I can stay outside over there is up at Mount Charlston, which is 30 minutes drive from Vegas. 30f cooler up there in the mountains, & it's one of my favourite places in the whole world. You'd enjoy walking around that place, it's just so beautiful, & the air is beautifully crisp. You need a jumper though, it gets well chilly - it snowed there earlier this week. They even have a Sky Resort up there. Hard to imagine, just 30 mins from Vegas, but it's true.     
    Posted by Tikay10
    Must be nice to be able to load up a DYM over there on the outskirts of Vegas ;)

Have a great trip, can't say I'm not jealous to be there this summer but next summer for sure.
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Must be nice to be able to load up a DYM over there on the outskirts of Vegas ;) Have a great trip, can't say I'm not jealous to be there this summer but next summer for sure.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Marv.

"Ski" not "Sky".

I must proof read my stuff
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Marv. "Ski" not "Sky". I must proof read my stuff I must proof read my stuff I must proof read my stuff I must proof read my stuff
    Posted by Tikay10
    :)

I just can't refuse a forum tap in.

Now where has Ramblings of an old man gone? So many open goals on that thread.
  • edited April 2016
    Great news on the Vegas trip (as if it was in any doubt).
    Hope you and Gill have a fab time.
  • edited April 2016
    Glad you are feeling better, must be difficult to change dietary habits,especially when you enjoy them so much. I guess it's the old adage it's all about balance, bit of a bummer when you have to completely cut something out though.

Excellent news on the Vegas trip, I look forward to reading trip reports.
  • edited April 2016
    Glad you are feeling better, must be difficult to change dietary habits,especially when you enjoy them so much. I guess it's the old adage it's all about balance, bit of a bummer when you have to completely cut something out though. Excellent news on the Vegas trip, I look forward to reading trip reports.
    Posted by tomgoodun
    "better latte than never?"

Seriously, well done on the weight loss
  • edited May 2016

Thanks for the kind comments, Mick, Tom & Phil.

Today is Day 104 of the current diet, & it remains on course. 33 days remain before I revert to type & start eating really bad stuff again. oioi. I may continue the daily walks post-diet though, they have really helped. So far I've walked some 250 - 300 miles in daily walks since January 16th. I've truly never walked that far in my entire life, but I feel so much better for it.

All good.  

• edited May 2016

And in shock news, after a torrid 2016, I managed to turn a little profit in April.

Not much, but at least I'm back on the winning trail, & this week, for the first time I can recall in ages, I won 60.6% of my games over 170 games, so that's very encouraging.

I'm still £30 below my balance as at 1st January, & £80 beneath my all-time high in mid-January, but for context, given I'm still around £2,500 ahead since I began this thing, I'm certainly not complaining.

I am still unsure of the cause of this downturn since January. Doubt it's variance, but there are plenty of other possible explanations - the game has left me behind, I forgot a few basics, lacked concentration, or failing mental dexterity, which is the big worry at my age of course. Big thanks to markycash who has helped me with a few things as to my game.

And that's the great thing with poker, we never really quite know what tonight will bring, do we?

Still loving the game enormously, & look forward to every single session.

See some of you tonight, when I attempt to continue the mini-upswing, & get May off to a flyer. 

Enjoy your Sunday.     
  • edited May 2016
    Nice one Tikay and no problem have enjoyed our chats :)

I am not sure what the games were like before but they seem very 'reg heavy' lately so to turn it round in that context is even more promising still.

I have mentioned Sky poker to long time friend I have played OH8 with for around 10 years who may join the oh8 tables which may help more games kick off if he gets into them. I doubt it will have a positive effect on any of our ROI's though he is an extremely accomplished OH8 player. Arez_One or similar screennames he usually goes by.

Hope May is good to you!
  • edited May 2016
    Nice one Tikay and no problem have enjoyed our chats :) I am not sure what the games were like before but they seem very 'reg heavy' lately so to turn it round in that context is even more promising still. I have mentioned Sky poker to long time friend I have played OH8 with for around 10 years who may join the oh8 tables which may help more games kick off if he gets into them. I doubt it will have a positive effect on any of our ROI's though he is an extremely accomplished OH8 player. Arez_One or similar screennames he usually goes by. Hope May is good to you!
    Posted by markycash
    Great that's all we need.:-)
    Gotta play with the best to improve huh?
  • edited May 2016
    Nice one Tikay and no problem have enjoyed our chats :) I am not sure what the games were like before but they seem very 'reg heavy' lately so to turn it round in that context is even more promising still. I have mentioned Sky poker to long time friend I have played OH8 with for around 10 years who may join the oh8 tables which may help more games kick off if he gets into them. I doubt it will have a positive effect on any of our ROI's though he is an extremely accomplished OH8 player. Arez_One or similar screennames he usually goes by. Hope May is good to you!
    Posted by markycash
    Bring him across if you can, the more the merrier, & liquidity breeds liquidity, so it has to be good for our games.
  • edited May 2016

Quick reminder, as many of the PLO8 crew occasionally visit this Diary, that it's "Happy Days" for 48 hours starting at noon today, (Double Points on all SNG's & DYM's) so that should generate more action tonight & tomorrow.

In a bad piece of timing, I'm working tonight, so I'll miss the party, but at least I'll be able to snaffle a few extra points on Wednesday evening.
  • edited May 2016

And in another aside, tonight's guest on the Sky Poker TV Show is ex Leicester player & captain Matt Elliott.

Given that Leicester won the title last night, it should be a fun & celebratory show.

Ryan Spittles, fresh from winning the Reading GUKPT, will be the "Poker Pro" tonight, so that's good, too.

The Presenter will be Richard Orford. Into each life, a little rain must fall.  

• edited May 2016
    I won't be able to take full advantage of the happy days promo either, sadly it is time to bite the bullet and get the last of my uni work out the way.

I will mention again to Arez aka Pat about the games, not sure if he has given them a try yet. I will probably make a post on my FB and see if I can get a few across, the only problem is that the players on my FB are spread across the globe so only a few will be eligible to play on Sky. It's a pity as there are a lot of PLO8 players on my FB...

Hope the show goes well! I will watch it when it gets uploaded to Sky's Youtube account. Have been watching quite a few of them, watched the grudge match with Ian Simpson last night. He came across very well.

Cya at the tables soon!
  • edited May 2016
    Nice to see the results back on track Tikay. PS Have you ever been to the Geneva of England? I posted a link in the Rail, even has a picture of a steam train in it. https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3ae0fe4c56-4826-4c14-a350-298f784f4e3dForum%3a7d0c2552-361c-4eda-9a31-b0c8d6bb2fceDiscussion%3a1880b7ee-8105-4307-a15a-43d55049ea08
    Posted by Phantom66
    Well they WERE back on track......

£90 of profit in 3 nights,. & a 60% games win week was snap followed by Monday, when I dropped a whopping £47.50, & won just 12 of 30.......

Today, I will mainly be re-visiting my drawing board.

"The Geneva of England"........

As it happens, Gill & I visited Geneva quite recently, & it was simply beautiful beyond words.  Gill happens to live in Stoke, too.

My main life memories of Stoke - Gill apart - was when I was working, going back to maybe 1980, or 1990, when they were building that wonderful A50 road which bisects the town now. I had to drive through Stoke almost daily, & it used to take 2 hours just to get through the town. Ugh.   
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Well they WERE back on track...... £90 of profit in 3 nights,. & a 60% games win week was snap followed by Monday, when I dropped a whopping £47.50, & won just 12 of 30....... Today, I will mainly be re-visiting my drawing board. "The Geneva of England"........ As it happens, Gill & I visited Geneva quite recently, & it was simply beautiful beyond words.  Gill happens to live in Stoke, too.   My main life memories of Stoke - Gill apart - was when I was working, going back to maybe 1980, or 1990, when they were building that wonderful A50 road which bisects the town now. I had to drive through Stoke almost daily, & it used to take 2 hours just to get through the town. Ugh.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    I did notice you were running pretty bad in all ins. The loses must have been unevenly weighted to the bigger bins though as -$47.50 seems a bit harsh for 12/30. Hope tonight is better for you Tikay! (although preferably not at my expense lol).
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I did notice you were running pretty bad in all ins. The loses must have been unevenly weighted to the bigger bins though as -$47.50 seems a bit harsh for 12/30. Hope tonight is better for you Tikay! (although preferably not at my expense lol).
    Posted by markycash
    It was universally bad, at all levels. Usually, on a bad night, as least one buy-in level helps save the day, but on Monday, not so. The loss was (roughly) comprised of £30 from the games, & £15 in reg fees.  

£3.30 - P 15, W 6, L9

£5.50, P10, W4, L6

£11, P5, W2, L3

Just one of those nights, I think. I was due a bad night, I guess.