You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited March 2016
    you just did rainman run well & you too sir tikay
  • edited March 2016
    Hi Tikay,

My advice would be to drop the amount of tables from 6 to 4 and see if that leads to any significant improvement. You understand the 4 handed push/fold dynamics really well and play very solidly, however, you always seem to be the one with the short stack. By dropping down to 4 tables you can play a looser style in the early game to accumulate chips vs weaker players who don't understand the nuances of the games too well. The mistakes they make before 75/150 matter much more than those they make at 200/400 and later.

Tom

• edited March 2016

Yeah, play less tables, who do you think you are, Timmyrara?
  • edited March 2016

Appreciate all, the replies, thanks Gents. Am a little busy today, but will reply tomorrow.

Must say, am very flattered to see a reply from Tom_Mull, who, apart from being a very profitable player, & someone I greatly respect, (I try not to tangle with him as his ranges are so good) has not posted on this Community for almost 12 months. It's so lovely to have such decent people here on Sky Poker.

How did you come to spot the discussion, Tom, when you don't seem to use the Community?
  • edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Appreciate all, the replies, thanks Gents. Am a little busy today, but will reply tomorrow. Must say, am very flattered to see a reply from Tom_Mull, who, apart from being a very profitable player, & someone I greatly respect, (I try not to tangle with him as his ranges are so good) has not posted on this Community for almost 12 months. It's so lovely to have such decent people here on Sky Poker. How did you come to spot the discussion, Tom, when you don't seem to use the Community?
    Posted by Tikay10
    I tend to lurk on the forums more than post and only really browse them when I'm playing on Sky regularly so I was fortunate to stumble upon it. I always enjoyed reading your diary because I found PLO8 to be such an interesting game. Good luck turning your results around in the next few weeks. 

Tom

• edited March 2016
    Appreciate all, the replies, thanks Gents. Am a little busy today, but will reply tomorrow. Must say, am very flattered to see a reply from Tom_Mull, who, apart from being a very profitable player, & someone I greatly respect, (I try not to tangle with him as his ranges are so good) has not posted on this Community for almost 12 months. It's so lovely to have such decent people here on Sky Poker. How did you come to spot the discussion, Tom, when you don't seem to use the Community?
    Posted by Tikay10
    Tomorrow was a long time coming, sorry. Been so waylaid with workload, & this & that.

Anyway, I tinkered with a few things, & seemed to get back on an even keel, & last week I made a £40 profit. Not much really, but at least I seemed to be back on the right track.

So that put me EXCACTLY where I started 2016, to within a quid.  3 months & not made a penny profit is ridic, & not what I am used to, but that's the fun, the challenge, keeping ahead of the game I suppose.

So all is well then, right?  

• edited March 2016

Wrong.

On Monday this week I made a small profit over 40 games. Fair enough, swings & swongs. 

On Tuesday, I made a £91 loss. (NINETY ONE CHUFFING QUID). 

It's comfortably my worst one night loss.

Played 34 games, did OK in 26 of them. The other 8 were ALL @ £11, & I lost every one. 8 games @ £11, & lost the lot.

Don't even ask, lol.

It felt as if I just kept running into things, unavoidable spots, A-K-2-x with Big Blinds plays itself, but I just kept walking into Aces, or Villain would flop a set.

Or maybe I just played really bad.

And I guess that's why this game fascinates so.

I'm comforted that I now have a £2,600 roll from £200, & have not deposited since September 2013, but 3 months & not a penny profit does muddle the mind a bit.

Anyway, we'll press on & see what we can do.

It's still the highlight of the day to settle down for a session ion the evening. Love the game, love it.  

• edited March 2016
    Are you a quid up, or a quid down?

What do you reckon your hourly rate is?

glad your back to winning.  Watch out for that markycash though, these scottish fellas are sneaky.
  • edited March 2016
    Are you a quid up, or a quid down? What do you reckon your hourly rate is? glad your back to winning.  Watch out for that markycash though, these scottish fellas are sneaky.
    Posted by 67Bhoys
    Umm, see the next Post I wrote. ;)

My hourly? I dare not even begin to imagine that. My hourly fun rate is still monsta though.
  • edited March 2016
    Losing those £11 games certainly puts a dent in your ROI, negating all the good work in the other games. 

You would figure to win at least some of the 8 games, but losing them all, ouch!
  • edited March 2016

Craig mentioned "Markycash", & I was about to introduce two new players to Team PLO8, who, between them, have helped to up the liquidity considerably.

Firstly, chiggypig, aka Lady Chiggy, who is a young lady from Taunton. Good player, good fun, & pretty handy.

And then Markycash, and my of my, this guy is different gravy. I think he has won 39 from his last 50, which is extraordinary. He may be running well, I don't know, but I fancy he'll sustain a very high win rate indeed.

Seems a really friendly & affable chap, too, & I gather he'll be making an appearance on this Diary soon. 

Good luck to them both.  
  • edited March 2016
    Losing those £11 games certainly puts a dent in your ROI, negating all the good work in the other games.  You would figure to win at least some of the 8 games, but losing them all, ouch!
    Posted by 67Bhoys
    It deffo messes with the head, for sure.

I think I know where I am, relative to most players, & I don't fear ANY player, but this guy Markcash guy pummelled me, bust me time after time. I made a few adjustments last night, & did much better v him, (guess I ran a little better, too) but without a doubt, he's way better than I ever was or will be, & I happily (?) accept that.    

• edited March 2016

Note to Markycash

I have sent you a PM.
  • edited March 2016
    moist players
    You definately win best typo 2016 :D Cracked me up.
  • edited March 2016
    Hehe moist

I think the simple answer is that players have got better. I have been playing dyms over 3 years ago and definitly they were easier 2 years ago.

You can now get to level 6 and theres 6 players left. 2 years ago the game would have been over or it would be on the bubble.

There is so much info out there now and this thread on plo8 dyms. On my phone sorry for any mistakes!!!!!!
  • edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : You definately win best typo 2016 :D Cracked me up.
    Posted by phuse

They always get there on the river.
  • edited March 2016
  • edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : They always get there on the river.
    Posted by 67Bhoys
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
  • edited March 2016
    Hehe moist I think the simple answer is that players have got better. I have been playing dyms over 3 years ago and definitly they were easier 2 years ago. You can now get to level 6 and theres 6 players left. 2 years ago the game would have been over or it would be on the bubble. There is so much info out there now and this thread on plo8 dyms. On my phone sorry for any mistakes!!!!!!
    Posted by stuarty117

Stu is correct here.

I, as many of us do, scope players that play PLO8 dyms.  The players playing the £11 and £5.50 regularly, are all winning players.  However, if 6 winning players sit down regularly, then inevitably, some of those records will be in danger of turning south.  Given equal abilities and equal run of variance, over time, rake is the only winner.

It stands to reason then, that at every level, you need some recs, who will provide the means for the winning players to continue on their upward path on Sharky.

You will always get the occasional recs, such as myself joining in these games, but even then, these guys may be no mugs either.

We may be a victim of ourselves by posting so many hints and tips on the forum, but we want new blood to join the PLO8 ranks, so we try to promote the game as best we can.

Problem is the new blood like Marky, Mrs Duck, and Chiggy, appear to be a bit handy at the game.  So maybe it is we, the regs, that have to adjust our game to account for the new breed.

On a final note, Tikay was 54% win rate on the 1,000 game challenge.  I don't know his actual win rate % for each level, but this illustrates how tough the higher stakes DYM field has become. 1,000 games is a good sample size to take stock, and think about the reasons for these results, some of which I think I have already covered.

p.s. I hate agreeing with Stu
  • edited April 2016
    Thanks for the kind words!

@Tikay Replied to your PM.

Nice to have such a big thread covering OH8 and look forward to some good discussion over hand strategy.

I have been around online and poker and OH8 since 2006/07 but usually go by the name Marky_Crash or MarkyCrash.

I would have played here much sooner but didn't realise there was such a good OH8 community here.

I am sure my ROI will drop a little, have definately run favourably over my initial games here and my ROI will take a big hit from Monday as I am going to give the VLV leaderboard a go and will be playing so many games (NLHE turbos and possibly russian roulette games included) that it will be impossible to maintain any kind of decent ROI over that period.

Look forward to playing you all!

GL @ the tables

Marky
  • edited April 2016
    Hi Marky, 

Good luck with the VLV attempt. 

I do not know if the Russian roulette games count towards VLV,  something in the back of my brain tells me that they didn't last year. I could be wrong though, maybe Tikay could clarify. 
  • edited April 2016
    I checked when launched and Russian Roulette count.

Don't agree that they should mind.

Still it appears to be the right day to try and get rule changes through.
  • edited April 2016
    Hi Marky,  Good luck with the VLV attempt.  I do not know if the Russian roulette games count towards VLV,  something in the back of my brain tells me that they didn't last year. I could be wrong though, maybe Tikay could clarify. 
    Posted by 67Bhoys
    Morning Craig,

I can confirm that Russian Roulettes DO count towards the Viva Las Vegas SNG League.

• edited April 2016
    I checked when launched and Russian Roulette count.

Don't agree that they should mind.

Still it appears to be the right day to try and get rule changes through.
  • edited April 2016
    Thanks for the kind words! @Tikay Replied to your PM. Nice to have such a big thread covering OH8 and look forward to some good discussion over hand strategy. I have been around online and poker and OH8 since 2006/07 but usually go by the name Marky_Crash or MarkyCrash. I would have played here much sooner but didn't realise there was such a good OH8 community here. I am sure my ROI will drop a little, have definately run favourably over my initial games here and my ROI will take a big hit from Monday as I am going to give the VLV leaderboard a go and will be playing so many games (NLHE turbos and possibly russian roulette games included) that it will be impossible to maintain any kind of decent ROI over that period. Look forward to playing you all! GL @ the tables Marky
    Posted by markycash
    Morning Marky,

Good to have you in the thread, & onboard with Sky Poker. Pretty sure you have plenty of O8 mates & acquaintances who you can tease across to Sky Poker, as you say, we have relatively decent liqiidity here, but it'd be great to increase it. Not until you have won that VLV League, though, eh?.

;)

• edited April 2016
    I checked when launched and Russian Roulette count. Don't agree that they should mind. Still it appears to be the right day to try and get rule changes through.
    Posted by Phantom66
    That would appear to be the case, yes.........
  • edited April 2016
    Thanks 67Bhoys!

Yeah I was going to post and clarify that Russian Roulette and HU SNG's count but reading the T&C's I couldn't see any exclusions and decided to take Sky's word at face value that 'ALL' SNG's count.

Started with a very small roll on here last week as I havn't been playing regularly due to work/uni commitments for a while so what I can play will be determined to an extent but how good a start I get off to.

GL @ the tables today folks!
  • edited April 2016
    Thanks 67Bhoys! Yeah I was going to post and clarify that Russian Roulette and HU SNG's count but reading the T&C's I couldn't see any exclusions and decided to take Sky's word at face value that 'ALL' SNG's count. Started with a very small roll on here last week as I havn't been playing regularly due to work/uni commitments for a while so what I can play will be determined to an extent but how good a start I get off to. GL @ the tables today folks!
    Posted by markycash
    I had a good night last night, won all three @ £11, & made a nice profit overall with a 67% win rate. I note you were absent last night. Feel free to be AWOL again tonight, OK?
  • edited April 2016
    Dropped you an email Tony.

Hope all is going well with you and your lot.
  • edited April 2016
    I couldnt sleep last night kept thinking about some guy rivering a 4. 

That button should be disabled. Glad ur running better. Maybe have a game later.