You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Dropped you an email Tony. Hope all is going well with you and your lot.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Thanks Paul, & yes, "my lot" (assuming you mean Sky Poker) are fine & dandy ty.

I have not received that e-Mail, probably because the addy you have is now no longer active. After the takeover, a new e-mail portal was introduced & we all have a new addy now. There was a "forwarding" service in place, but it expired yesterday, so e-Mails to the old addy won't reach me.

I'll send you a PM with my new Addy shortly. 

Hope it's not going to be a nasty e-Mail....;) 
  • edited April 2016
    I couldnt sleep last night kept thinking about some guy rivering a 4.  That button should be disabled. Glad ur running better. Maybe have a game later.
    Posted by stuarty117
    Oh my Stu, that was so horrible, & I felt pretty bad about it, as you reeled me in a treat & then fate intervened in the form of a genuine 1 outer on the river.

(I had an underhouse, 4's full, whilst Stu had a the nut overhouse with Kings full. Cue the rivered 4 for quads). 

Brutal stuff.   

• edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Thanks Paul, & yes, "my lot" (assuming you mean Sky Poker) are fine & dandy ty. I have not received that e-Mail, probably because the addy you have is now no longer active. After the takeover, a new e-mail portal was introduced & we all have a new addy now. There was a "forwarding" service in place, but it expired yesterday, so e-Mails to the old addy won't reach me.   I'll send you a PM with my new Addy shortly.  Hope it's not going to be a nasty e-Mail....;)  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Talk about bad timing from me!

Yeah I had the old extension at the end, re-sent to the right place now.
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Talk about bad timing from me! Yeah I had the old extension at the end, re-sent to the right place now.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Yes, it was rather odd, almost perfectly imperfect. I would have been forwarded it yesterday, today, it simply disappeared somewhere.

It's all part of what The Business calls "Transition", from the old regime to the new set up. There was an extraordinary "to do" list when SB&G tethered it's apron strings from Big Sky, hundreds of them, & so the last year has been a full time task to complete transition. Much of the data processing, accounting & HR functions (& many others) were "centrally" managed by Big Sky, so all had to be set up afresh.  

Anyway, I have now received & replied to your e-Mail, & I have also actioned it.

Next case, as you were, stand by your beds, da de da.

• edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I had a good night last night, won all three @ £11, & made a nice profit overall with a 67% win rate. I note you were absent last night. Feel free to be AWOL again tonight, OK?
    Posted by Tikay10
    Nice one on the £11's!

Yeah I am having to get some things in order so I can free time up for the new VLV leaderboard.

I will probably be a brief visitor tonight, have a massive essay to write on 'modernisation' before Sunday is out... Been putting it off but I will have to bite the bullet and actually get it done sadly.

I don't know how I used to find the time to grind at the tables all day, most days.

Hopefully get a few games at least later!

Thought I was going to sneak the £5.75 bounty hunter to start the weekend well but couldnt dodge the hearts here for the chiplead with 4 left...
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Player x Small blind   600.00 600.00 34623.37
    markycash Big blind   1200.00 1800.00 31465.66
      Your hole cards
    • K

Playerx Fold        
    Playerx Raise   2400.00 4200.00 49142.73
    Playerx Call   1800.00 6000.00 32823.37
    markycash Call   1200.00 7200.00 30265.66
    Flop

• J
    • K

Playerx Check        
    markycash Check        
    Playerx
    Bet   3600.00 10800.00 45542.73
    Playerx Call   3600.00 14400.00 29223.37
    markycash All-in   30265.66 44665.66 0.00
    Playerx Fold        
    Playerx Call   26665.66 71331.32 2557.71
    Playerx Show
    • A

markycash Show
    • K

Turn

River

Playerx Win Flush to the Ace 71331.32   73889.03
  • edited April 2016

Note for Karan, aka Macacgirl.

Hi Karen,

I know that when you are really bored in your holiday home you sometimes pop onto this thread, so I wanted you to be aware of this,
    HERE

It's all so sad, & many of the PLO8 community were shocked to hear about it yesterday. 
  • edited April 2016
    Sent you a pm tikay
    Posted by churchy18
    Thanks Brian, I'll have a look & reply in the morning.
  • edited April 2016

Just a quick explanation on the PM's I receive. They all get a reply, every one, but I have a little system for my work.

I keep an A5 Notebook, & every little task gets written in it, under separate days. There's usually 25 or 30 per day, & I jot them down as I go along.

First job each morning is to update that notebook, & carry forward each item that is not ticked.

Then I clear my PM's from the previous day, here & elsewhere.

Next, I address any Forum questions that have arisen overnight, such as Rose's question this morning. That often involves sending an e-Mail to the office, then later, getting the reply, acknowledging it, & then posting it on the Forum. So there's quite a bit of work to every question, no matter how trivial the q may seem.

Next up is to write any articles I need to do, & spam them, here, elsewhere, & on Twitter, prepare stuff for Meetings. I never go to a Meeting unless I am fully prepared, with bullet points & the like, then after every Meeting, I send another set of notes up.

It's a great system, & I'm a creature of habit, so it works for me, I need to be organised.

Having said that, this week I was scheduled to be on two telecon meetings, & managed to completely forget them both. That went down well.....

Think I need to include Telecon reminders  in my little system.

Send new system.

• edited April 2016
    Sent you a pm tikay
    Posted by churchy18
    Replied.
  • edited April 2016
    Tikay you might remind Sky to ammend their clocks on the forum ;).

Ger
  • edited April 2016
    Tikay you might remind Sky to ammend their clocks on the forum ;). Ger
    Posted by gerardirl
    Hi Ger,

I already did, about 10 days ago, after
    THIS

I did send a note up, but they don't seem to have the key to the Forum software clock, so I guess it's been added to the little list of jobs to be sorted.
  • edited April 2016
    Reminder for the late reg to be changed in the 8.25 pl08 £5.50 game thank you
    Posted by churchy18
    Thanks for the reminder Brian, I have sent a note up. No idea if they can or will do so, & really, it's not the end of the world either way, but I have asked.

I've also raised the subject of a weekly or bi-weekly £11 PLO8 MTT, &, in addition, maybe a £5.50 rebuy version. I suggested they should NOT offer a Guarantee at this stage, there's no need, if the players want it badly enough, they ought to support it with or without a Guarantee.

We shall see.  

• edited April 2016

Hi again Brian, the Late Reg in the 8.325 tonight has been extended to 30 minutes, see HERE

• edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Nice one tony agree no need for a gtd not sure about a rebuy unless it is just 1 allowed but any extra games will be good and with the£11dym games that are going just now it may help get more playing and build the player pool An £11 tourney 1 a fortnight would be good would play that as much as possible How you doing hope all is well and good  All the best brian
    Posted by churchy18
    +1 the £11 dyms seem to be filling quicker than the £3.30 a little bit to expensive for me but would play the tournaments once a week as a treat 
  • edited April 2016
    Just to say +1 for plo8 £11 tourney, I'd certainly be adding value to it, but it's good fun :)
  • edited April 2016
    Great that your pushing for extra PLO8 MTT's Tikay!

Would disagree on the guaratees, even if they were tiny (5 or 10x the BI) I will support them by playing either way but it definitely helps numbers if there is some/any kind of guarantee.

Appreciate your efforts though, progress is progress :)

$1 rebuys are very popular on a lot of sites with similar traffic levels to Sky and seem to entice new players to give the game a try (it's cheap and they can rebuy if they bust).
  • edited April 2016
    Great that your pushing for extra PLO8 MTT's Tikay! Would disagree on the guaratees, even if they were tiny (5 or 10x the BI) I will support them by playing either way but it definitely helps numbers if there is some/any kind of guarantee. Appreciate your efforts though, progress is progress :) $1 rebuys are very popular on a lot of sites with similar traffic levels to Sky and seem to entice new players to give the game a try (it's cheap and they can rebuy if they bust).
    Posted by markycash

Hi Mark, this topic has been thrown about for a long time on here and I have recommended on numerous occasions that a tourney that ran on here 4 years ago could be tried but nothing ever happens.
      The MTT in question was a £500 GTD £5.50 rebuy which ran at 10 pm every Friday night. Now, whilst this rarely hit the guarantee it came very close most weeks and I imagine that with the increased numbers playing PLO8 on the site now compared to 2012 that it would hit it every week.
      Would love to see this MTT trialled for a couple of weeks.  Come on TEEKS  sort it out.
  • edited April 2016
    bump
    Posted by VespaPX
    Thanks Jac.

• edited April 2016

Afternoon all, maybe I'm overdue for a little Update.

My little stubborn downturn - or whatever it is/was - remains a mystery to me.

Variance (probably not, too easy an excuse), the game has moved on or passed me by, failing mental dexterity, age related stuff, I've still no idea.

At the low point, I had dropped £250 from my balance on Jan 1st, & £300 from my all time high a few days later.

I pulled it all back at one point in March, but then dropped £150 again. As of right now, I'm £60 below my January 1st balance, so I'm oh-so-slowly pulling it back.

Bear in mind I've received around £200 in Rewards Payments in 2016, so really, the figures are worse than they look at first sight.

I do want to say a quick "thank you" to Markycash, who spent a lot of time helping me sort my game out with wise words. He really knows his stuff, & opened my eyes to a few things. Thanks Mark.  
  • edited April 2016

The games of late have certainly been really lively & much more "swingy" than previously.

We are often joined these days by a player called FILIPSEBO, who plays an extremely high variance line. Took me a while to grasp the best way to play him, but I'm happy to have him at my tables now. He raised EVERY hand, & pots EVERY flop, so as you can imagine, a plan is needed.

Markycash is very aggro, too, & the thing with Mark is his understanding of odds. If he has the right price, & DYM dynamics aside, he WILL call fairly wide. His game is pretty aggro though, & he has a very different range to most of us.   

• edited April 2016

Despite whatever caused me to drop a few bob in 2016, I enjoy the game & the challenge more than I ever did, & can't wait to start my session every night. Love the game to bits, & still manage 30 games almost every night.

We are lucky to have such a great game.

I do get a little fed up with the serial moaners, the "high maintenance" guys, the teeniest little software glitch & they start a thread. Think if I ever started a thread because I missed a single hand of poker at the start of a game I'd think it was time to take a reality check. I mean, Sky Poker is not 'Stars & never will be. And thank the Lord for that in some ways. The Promos here are tremendous, I defy anyone to name an Online Poker site with a more inclusive range of Promos, & these allow for all levels of player, even Team Smallball to get involved. Team High Maintenance expect these Promos as standard, but are not prepared to accept that, you know, the occasional software funny turn causes us minor inconvenience.

Funny old game.

There was a Freeroll last night with a £6,000 overlay, & one chap wanted to know why he was expected to pay £2 to enter it. It had a "per head" value of £7. You do the math.    

• edited April 2016
    No problem at all Tikay and thanks for the kind words! Just a pity it hasn't translated to harder results yet.

Interesting and informative talking oh8 with you and has helped me reconsider parts of my own game too.
  • edited April 2016

Work has been quite stressful & challenging in 2016, in so many different ways, but things are getting resolved now, I'm very pleased to say. I was, & remain very keen, to see out 10 years here, but it was looking very doubtful indeed. I'm back on track now though, so maybe I'll get there yet. We shall see.

Sky Poker have not yet made it known, but they asked me to do the Vegas gig again this year, & I was chuffed to bits with that, I just love the annual Vegas work. I've done it every year for Sky Poker so far, but I don't like to assume things, so it was good to know I'd been selected again. Fingers crossed the Blogs will return this year, after a bit of a technical hiccup last year.

I will be going to Vegas on my own account, so to speak, in early June, as I do every year. I've almost finalised my playing schedule, around 20 events I think, all 4 & 5 card stuff. 

Gill will be coming out to join me for 10 days in early June, so I'll not be playing or blogging too much during that period. This will be her 3rd year in Vegas with me, & she loves it to bits. We plan to head across to the Southern California coast again, & stay at Oceanside, just a couple of days. The flights from Vegas are only about $70, & then we'll catch the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner again, the train ticket is around $40 from San Diego or LA to Oceanside, so it's all very cheap.

The rest of time when she is with me we'll just do the usual Tourist stuff, go watch a Baseball game, eat out, go up the Spring Mountains, that sort of thing. She likes shopping in Vegas, so that works well, so I'll go play poker 2 or 3 days, whilst she goes shopping.

PS - 38 sleeps. Jeez, I'm excited. It really is time I grew up, but I can't help it, I get that Vegas buzz every year.        

• edited April 2016

Finally, for now anyway, my health is much better than it was earlier this year.

I had piled on the weight, & as a result, it took it's toll. On Jan 16th I started hard dieting, & a daily 2 mile walk, & since then I've dropped 2.5 stones. Feel much better now, I really do.

• edited April 2016
    No problem at all Tikay and thanks for the kind words! Just a pity it hasn't translated to harder results yet. Interesting and informative talking oh8 with you and has helped me reconsider parts of my own game too.
    Posted by markycash
    That reminds me, I owe you an e-Mail reply. You said something quite fascinating in your last one, & I want to pick up on that.

Anyway, time to go lose some more money at the tables. oioi 

• edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : That reminds me, I owe you an e-Mail reply. You said something quite fascinating in your last one, & I want to pick up on that.   Anyway, time to go lose some more money at the tables. oioi   
    Posted by Tikay10
    GL Tikay!

Interesting read as always, really put me even more in the mood for Vegas.

Got close(ish) to a package elsewhere last night which was surprising as 91 hands into the game the best pocket cards I saw were a pair of 3s.

The quest continues...

• edited April 2016
    Great to hear your heading back to Vegas Tikay.  I hope you don't get propositioned by any strange guys wearing tutu's ;)

I hope I'm still getting excited to visit Vegas when I'm well past your age.  What a place.

Congrats on the loss of weight.  Losing weight/changing body shape has to be one of the toughest things to do.  It's to easy and very tempting to eat and drink rubbish almost anytime of the day and it's constantly pushed in our faces.  Did you have to have a diet rehaul or was walking enough to lose the weight?

I hear there are some great treks in/around the Grand Canyon (I'm not sure how taxing they are) but might be a fun trip.  I did some walking at Red Rock Canyon which was great but I don't reccommend going midday.  Was great to get out the city for a few days and see some of the great places Arizona/Nevada has to offer.  I loved the meteor crater in Arizona too.

I'm sure I've heard about a Vegas marathon if your training is going well, fancy it?

Good luck getting the poker results back on track.

James
  • edited April 2016

Some good stuff there, James, thank you. 

I shall reply to several points, but it's likely to be Friday before I get chance, am a bit all over the shop tomorrow with, you know, stuff, and things. 

Surprised and honoured you read this diary. Maybe you were really really bored.  :)
  • edited April 2016
    Finally, for now anyway, my health is much better than it was earlier this year. I had piled on the weight, & as a result, it took it's toll. On Jan 16th I started hard dieting, & a daily 2 mile walk, & since then I've dropped 2.5 stones. Feel much better now, I really do.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    That's terrific. Glad to hear your health is better (had picked up the odd comment you'd made) and also that the work related stress is getting sorted.
    Great news about LV too.
    :)