You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Agree i should have raised pre but have been limping more lately as was just losing too much when being too aggressive(hand kind of shows that) and it seems too be working a bit better for me and in my defense i just insta reraised then looked and seen it was you sigh if had looked at who was in hand i would have more than likely just called and seen another card think maybe playing tourneys and dyms at same time does not help much as well. Think this might be the hand with eon think i seen it as a good solid high hand and everyone knows the big stack always wins lol no just seen this as a good hand for heads up and it seemed a good spot too defend with as would still have 7 bbs left if it went wrong. Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance tikay1 Small blind   150.00 150.00 1540.00 churchy18 Big blind   300.00 450.00 3280.00   Your hole cards 4 K J Q       eon1961 Raise   1050.00 1500.00 457.50 HOVIS684 Fold         aub Fold         tikay1 Fold         churchy18 Raise   1500.00 3000.00 1780.00 eon1961 All-in   457.50 3457.50 0.00 churchy18 Unmatched bet   292.50 3165.00 2072.50 churchy18 Show 4 K J Q       eon1961 Show 7 5 A 3       Flop     9 2 J       Turn     2       River     10       churchy18 Win high Straight to the King 3165.00   5237.50   No qualifying low hand
    Posted by churchy18
    Would you, or more importantly should you, play J4, Q4 and K4 in that position in holdem? You have no low potential and half of your two card combos are not particularly good. Again just my opinion and I am by no means an expert like Tikay and Macca etc, but I would fold here.
  • edited February 2016
    I'm not an expert! I usually play sloppier than a bag of gravy.
    With a stack size of 3k etc, I'm folding that every day of the week though.
  • edited February 2016

"....Think this might be the hand with eon think i seen it as a good solid high hand and everyone knows the big stack always wins lol no just seen this as a good hand for heads up and it seemed a good spot too defend with as would still have 7 bbs left if it went wrong...."

Not sure I can buy into that, Brian. For starters, you have 4 cards,& Eon has five - his Ace plays BOTH ways, so you start at a disadvantage.

I've never seen Eon (in this exact spot) get it in without an Ace in his hand so that GUARANTEES you need to outdraw him.

Anyway, enough opinions, here's the facts.

Your hand SCOOPS 29% of the time

His hand SCOOPS 48% of the time

Your hand wins the HIGH 51% of the time

His hand wins the HIGH 49% of the time. 

Your hand wins the LOW 0% of the time. 

His hand wins the LOW 60% of the time. 

Overall equity pre-flop - YOUR hand 40%, HIS hand 60%.

So, taking all that into account, lets go back to that first mistake thing we discussed this morning.

One player is OUT

One player is AWAY

One player is roffling around in every pot.

You have 3,300 chips.

I have around 1,200.

Do we NEED to get involved with this very marginal hand, or can we await a better spot? We might not even need to play another hand. Once AWAY man disappears, that's 3 Big stacks, + me trundling along with 4 Bigs, & guaranteed to widen my range & take a stab shortly. 

In your spot, I'd be sitting nice & quietly here. We don't get any extra for having most chips. In a 6 Max, yes, in a DYM, no.

• edited February 2016
    im a plopper..i think :)
  • edited February 2016
    im a plopper..i think :)
    Posted by stokefc

when you typed 'oops there's 4 cards' I knew you would boss it VWP ;-)

• edited February 2016
    the triple up in hand 2 helped ty jimi
    can you post hands in m/s edge
  • edited February 2016
    the triple up in hand 2 helped ty jimi can you post hands in m/s edge
    Posted by stokefc
    I think so, not sure I use mac now, before that it was chrome
  • edited February 2016
    Tony, sorry for the derail, but I wasn't sure where to ask this.
    Please can you ask if there would be any chance of trialling some low stakes turbo PLO8 sit and goes?
    I know they won't appeal to the purists like yourself, but they are offered in holdem and omaha.
    I think they may help broaden the appeal of the game to holdem players who can't or don't want to commit 35/40minutes to a game, but who could afford 8/10 minutes?
    Thanks,
    Andrew.
  • edited February 2016
    Hi Mr. K and one and all.
    For some reason I'm having a dog of an ordeal trying to access the site, either through the browser or download. Not sure what's going on, but it ain't half weird.
    Anyways, we're away on the 13th, so if I manage to get on the site my last time playing until the winter will be this Friday. If I'm still unable to get onboard, I'll use this opportunity to say bye bye for now. All the best everyone, it's been a pleasure, keep on plopping on and all that. Seeya all late October, early November time.
    Karen
    xx
    ps. The site needs someone to spite-call TK whilst I'm away. Thanks in advance.
  • edited February 2016

Andrew, Karen - will reply tomorrow.
  • edited February 2016

And for the children aged under 3 amongst you, please take note of Macacgirl's Avatar.

Two questions, please answer A or B. You may only answer "YES"

a) Is it ridiculously stupid? 

b) Is it ridiculously stupid?
  • edited February 2016
    And for the children aged under 3 amongst you, please take note of Macacgirl's Avatar. Two questions, please answer A or B. You may only answer "YES" a) Is it ridiculously stupid?  b) Is it ridiculously stupid?
    Posted by Tikay10
    YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited February 2016
    Hi Mr. K and one and all. For some reason I'm having a dog of an ordeal trying to access the site, either through the browser or download. Not sure what's going on, but it ain't half weird. Anyways, we're away on the 13th, so if I manage to get on the site my last time playing until the winter will be this Friday. If I'm still unable to get onboard, I'll use this opportunity to say bye bye for now. All the best everyone, it's been a pleasure, keep on plopping on and all that. Seeya all late October, early November time. Karen xx ps. The site needs someone to spite-call TK whilst I'm away. Thanks in advance.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Always happy to oblige, have a great time Karen, plus if you can let me know your recipes for gravy, mash, best placce to buy twiglets etc I can discuss those with him too

Best wishes
    Mother
    xxx
  • edited February 2016
    Tony, sorry for the derail, but I wasn't sure where to ask this. Please can you ask if there would be any chance of trialling some low stakes turbo PLO8 sit and goes? I know they won't appeal to the purists like yourself, but they are offered in holdem and omaha. I think they may help broaden the appeal of the game to holdem players who can't or don't want to commit 35/40minutes to a game, but who could afford 8/10 minutes? Thanks, Andrew.
    Posted by winshoes
    Hi Andrew,

I'll definitely mention that to Upstairs.

There is no doubt in my mind that "Turbo" is extremely popular these days, many players don't want a DYM to last 35 to 40 minutes, they don't have the patience  & just cba to sit there for so long.

You may be surprised to know that, up to a point, I'd probably play them, too.

I'm very much a glass half full sort, I'm happy with what is on offer, & if I were not, I'd not play, or I'd play elsewhere. It does often occur to me though, that due to the nature of PLO8, in effect, the first 4 levels in the current structure are almost meaningless, especially as it's PL, so there's no jamming.

Lots of folks play every hand of course, Team Limpy Limp Limp, but if it were a Turbo, they'd soon become Team Skinty Skint Skint.

The danger is spreading the thin liquidity too wide, but definitely worth considering.

For someone who plays a lot of PLO8 DYM's, it also gives them a shot at earning decent Reward Points. At present, there is an absolute cap on how many points we can earn per day in these, & it requires a lot of hours to earn 1,000 points (£12.50) in a week.       

• edited February 2016
    Hi Mr. K and one and all. For some reason I'm having a dog of an ordeal trying to access the site, either through the browser or download. Not sure what's going on, but it ain't half weird. Anyways, we're away on the 13th, so if I manage to get on the site my last time playing until the winter will be this Friday. If I'm still unable to get onboard, I'll use this opportunity to say bye bye for now. All the best everyone, it's been a pleasure, keep on plopping on and all that. Seeya all late October, early November time. Karen xx ps. The site needs someone to spite-call TK whilst I'm away. Thanks in advance.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Sorry for the slow response, it's been a bit of a heavy week one way & another.

I just wanted to say "thanks Karen, you are the greatest".

I've met many lovely people in poker, made loads of smashing friends & acquaintances, & of course an enemy or two along the way. I'd say most are acquaintances, the Facebook definition of a "Friend" does not meet my criteria, real friends are very special, & far & few between. 

I've never met Karen, but we are kindred spirits, soul brothers (sisters), and I admire her & respect her unreservedly. 

If only everyone played the game in the same spirit as Karen. Played many thousands of games here, & never once had a bad beat chunter, just moves onto the next game like a proper grown up. Plays technically perfect PLO8, too, when you take on Karen, you'd better have a good hand, & she is very much a raiser not a caller.

I'll miss her immensely. 

Hope I'm still around when she returns in November.

You'll be very much missed Karen, by all of us.

bon voyage

xx   

• edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Sorry for the slow response, it's been a bit of a heavy week one way & another. I just wanted to say "thanks Karen, you are the greatest".   I've met many lovely people in poker, made loads of smashing friends & acquaintances, & of course an enemy or two along the way. I'd say most are acquaintances, the Facebook definition of a "Friend" does not meet my criteria, real friends are very special, & far & few between.  I've never met Karen, but we are kindred spirits, soul brothers (sisters), and I admire her & respect her unreservedly.  If only everyone played the game in the same spirit as Karen. Played many thousands of games here, & never once had a bad beat chunter, just moves onto the next game like a proper grown up. Plays technically perfect PLO8, too, when you take on Karen, you'd better have a good hand, & she is very much a raiser not a caller.   I'll miss her immensely.  Hope I'm still around when she returns in November.   You'll be very much missed Karen, by all of us. bon voyage xx     
    Posted by Tikay10
    +1 Have a great time Karen, see you on the tables in November.
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Hi Andrew, I'll definitely mention that to Upstairs. There is no doubt in my mind that "Turbo" is extremely popular these days, many players don't want a DYM to last 35 to 40 minutes, they don't have the patience  & just cba to sit there for so long. You may be surprised to know that, up to a point, I'd probably play them, too.   I'm very much a glass half full sort, I'm happy with what is on offer, & if I were not, I'd not play, or I'd play elsewhere. It does often occur to me though, that due to the nature of PLO8, in effect, the first 4 levels in the current structure are almost meaningless, especially as it's PL, so there's no jamming. Lots of folks play every hand of course, Team Limpy Limp Limp, but if it were a Turbo, they'd soon become Team Skinty Skint Skint. The danger is spreading the thin liquidity too wide, but definitely worth considering. For someone who plays a lot of PLO8 DYM's, it also gives them a shot at earning decent Reward Points. At present, there is an absolute cap on how many points we can earn per day in these, & it requires a lot of hours to earn 1,000 points (£12.50) in a week.           
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks for the response mate. 
    The points earnt is exactly the reason why I would like to see Turbo PLO8 dym's introduced. I multi-table and its the opportunity cost in lost points that make me play less PLO8. For example I played a £3.30 PLO8 dym in the afternoon on wednesday and it took 41 minutes to complete and I earnt 3 points. During that same time I completed 8 x £2.25 turbo holdem games arning 24 points. As I only like 4/5 tabling, by doing this for 4/5 hours a day every day the lost number of points/rewards soon mounts up.
    On the "spreading it too thinly" point, I would hope some of the holdem players maybe tempted to try our 4 card game and enjoy the different challenges it presents.
    On a lighter note, I was surprised that you haven't mentioned the hacking of your account in this diary. I assumed that your account had been hacked as we shared a table the other day and "you" played four hands in a row! You have changed. I can remember when you you used to play four hands a night. Progress?
    Be lucky,
    Andrew.
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Thanks for the response mate.  The points earnt is exactly the reason why I would like to see Turbo PLO8 dym's introduced. I multi-table and its the opportunity cost in lost points that make me play less PLO8. For example I played a £3.30 PLO8 dym in the afternoon on wednesday and it took 41 minutes to complete and I earnt 3 points. During that same time I completed 8 x £2.25 turbo holdem games arning 24 points. As I only like 4/5 tabling, by doing this for 4/5 hours a day every day the lost number of points/rewards soon mounts up. On the "spreading it too thinly" point, I would hope some of the holdem players maybe tempted to try our 4 card game and enjoy the different challenges it presents. On a lighter note, I was surprised that you haven't mentioned the hacking of your account in this diary. I assumed that your account had been hacked as we shared a table the other day and "you" played four  hands in a row! You have changed. I can remember when you you used to play four hands a night. Progress? Be lucky, Andrew.
    Posted by winshoes
    I think there may well be some interest in these, I play turbo 08 on another site and i quite enjoy them.
    Obviously the smaller stack, quicker blinds mean some strategy changes but probably less than people think, in essence we start around level 4.

• edited February 2016
    Like the Turbo idea Andrew
    Thumbs up from me
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Thanks for the response mate.  The points earnt is exactly the reason why I would like to see Turbo PLO8 dym's introduced. I multi-table and its the opportunity cost in lost points that make me play less PLO8. For example I played a £3.30 PLO8 dym in the afternoon on wednesday and it took 41 minutes to complete and I earnt 3 points. During that same time I completed 8 x £2.25 turbo holdem games arning 24 points. As I only like 4/5 tabling, by doing this for 4/5 hours a day every day the lost number of points/rewards soon mounts up. On the "spreading it too thinly" point, I would hope some of the holdem players maybe tempted to try our 4 card game and enjoy the different challenges it presents. On a lighter note, I was surprised that you haven't mentioned the hacking of your account in this diary. I assumed that your account had been hacked as we shared a table the other day and "you" played four  hands in a row! You have changed. I can remember when you you used to play four hands a night. Progress? Be lucky, Andrew.
    Posted by winshoes
    Both very valid points Andrew, I agree completely.

Sam's a bit under it at the mo - been on holiday again - but I'll ask him to consider it.

I played 4 hands in a row? Maybe my Bet button stuck down?

I do get a bit busy 4 handed, fair to say, I do the gear change thing. Always got the goods, obv. Just, you know, lesser quality goods, Tesco instead of Waitrose. 

I've had a bad run since Xmas, bad everything, including bad play, but it's turned this week, & I've made money 3 nights in a row. Time for a 4 timer imo.

• edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Both very valid points Andrew, I agree completely. Sam's a bit under it at the mo - been on holiday again - but I'll ask him to consider it. I played 4 hands in a row? Maybe my Bet button stuck down? I do get a bit busy 4 handed, fair to say, I do the gear change thing. Always got the goods, obv. Just, you know, lesser quality goods, Tesco instead of Waitrose.    I've had a bad run since Xmas, bad everything, including bad play, but it's turned this week, & I've made money 3 nights in a row. Time for a 4 timer imo.  
    Posted by Tikay10

Given some of your recent hands, i think you've been sneaking down to Aldis......:-)))
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Given some of your recent hands, i think you've been sneaking down to Aldis......:-)))
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    I'm a lidl surprised at that accusation.
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I'm a lidl surprised at that accusation.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Back of the Netto
  • edited February 2016

My word you are on form today guys, "zing" asda kids say. 
  • edited February 2016
    Every little helps
  • edited February 2016
    Every little helps
    Posted by winshoes
    Its nice to see everyone being so co-operative
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Its nice to see everyone being so co-operative
    Posted by POKERTREV
    I'ts safeways to assume this could go on and on 
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I'ts safeways to assume this could go on and on 
    Posted by weecheez1
    this gives us all farmfoods for thought
  • edited February 2016
    I was expecting IrishRose to respond-you are making us Wait Rose...
  • edited February 2016
    I was expecting IrishRose to respond-you are making us Wait Rose...
    Posted by Essexphil
    Asda be the winner