You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I see that an old forum favourite came 5th as well. I imagine he predicted he'd finish 5th before it all started
    Posted by Jac35
    Is that the same guy, Paul? I can't check his Post History, as it appears to have been removed.

Amazing if it is the same chap, as he has two of those SS Gold Stars for "longest winning run".

He's played over 19,000 games here, too.

Even now, after all these years, I see stuff here every day that blows me away.

• edited January 2016
    It's brilliant news for eon.
    There were no dramatics at a table when he told us, a simple 'I'll be seeing you in Notts Tikay'
    If eon were to cash in Notts, I'd probably explode.
    Brilliant stuff, I love it.
  • edited January 2016
    It's brilliant news for eon. There were no dramatics at a table when he told us, a simple 'I'll be seeing you in Notts Tikay' If eon were to cash in Notts, I'd probably explode. Brilliant stuff, I love it.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    A strangely appealing prospect.
  • edited January 2016

With a refreshing lack of moans & groans on the Forum this morning, time for a quick results update.

It's just incredibly boring stats, but I need to record them somewhere for the record.

I'll also report tomorrow on progress to date on the 1,000 game challenge, as I'll reach the halfway point today.

Look away now.

• edited January 2016
    Well first hand on the final table last night I couldn't see my cards. I was outraged. I mean this is absolutely terrible.
    I punched the wall and swore repeatedly for 5 minutes.
    Eventually I composed myself and returned to the table.

It really spoiled the night for me but I'll get over it I guess 
  • edited January 2016

January to date

1st - P40, W 25 = 62.5%

2nd - P60, W31 = 52%

3rd - P30, W13 = 43%

4th - P41, W23 = 56%

5th - P31, W18 = 58%

6th - P34, W18 = 53%

7th - P35, W16 = 46%

8th - P41, W24 = 59%

9th - P28, W13 = 46%

10th - P45, W22 = 49%

11th - P30, W22 = 73%

13th - P30, W20 = 67%

15th - P30, W16 = 53%

Overall, P475, W260, = 54.7%

Opening Balance 1st Jan = £2,724.19

Current Balance as at cob 15th Jan = £2,742.73

Profit/Loss YTD =£18.54.  
  • edited January 2016

So that's pretty disappointing, to say the least.

I hope it was just variance, but we never quite know, do we? I was certainly due a downswing, after the last 3 months of 2015, when I was making the highest return I've ever made, think it was £400 in 3 months. Was that an upswing, or is this a downswing? That's the beauty of variance, it keeps us guessing. 

Fortunately, & to my relief, this week (so far) has been much better, & I'm north of 60% at the mo.

I've no idea what went wrong, I've tried to analyse it, but I can't put my finger on it. I tried hard enough, but I just could not get the results.

Double Points week was amazing fun, & though I lost a few bob at the Tables, a Rewards Payment of £57.43 mitigated most of the damage.

Traffic, on the whole, has been excellent, more £11ers ran than ever before, though last night was a bit quiet.

Anyway, overall, all good, & I love playing as much as I ever did. The PLO8 regulars are such a fun bunch, it's rare to see much, if any, chuntering from them, & it's such a lovely escape from all the daily negativity. Every night I can't wait to escape to the tables, & have a few hours of relaxed fun.   

• edited January 2016
    Well first hand on the final table last night I couldn't see my cards. I was outraged. I mean this is absolutely terrible. I punched the wall and swore repeatedly for 5 minutes. Eventually I composed myself and returned to the table. It really spoiled the night for me but I'll get over it I guess 
    Posted by Jac35
    Ha, as poker players I often think we lose perspective. Nothing that happens in poker is important in the greater scheme of things, is it?   
  • edited January 2016
    You've just reminded me of something on Orfords thread 

I remember that years ago when I played at Gala, I bumped into someone that I hadn't seen a while.
    I asked him where he'd been and he said he'd stopped playing because he couldn't cope with the beats. He said he'd tried to stay away but couldn't because the game was so addictive.

He was actually a pretty good player. He was at my table and we chatted for a couple of hours or so. Really nice interesting chap and quite amusing. He built up a nice stack wining a couple of flips along the way and seems to be enjoying himself.

Then, he got it in with QQ v AK, as you do and on the turn the Ace fell.

He jumped to his feet and just about screamed "never again" and stormed out

He'd in my opinion had a good night for about £30 up to that point

• edited January 2016
    Another one that always interests me is the rigged stuff.
    My default is to just think "stupid person" when I read those threads.

But
    I had a friend who was huge winner at Gala. He was also without any doubt the smartest person I'd ever met.
    I got him into playing online and he was a sceptic from the start. He was 100% convinced on the big stack always wins idea.
    Nothing I could say to him could make him think otherwise. His reasoning was that once you bust you'll play another game and so the site gets more rake.
    I tried explaining that many people multitable and so this wouldn't be beneficial to a site etc
    He wouldn't have it

• edited January 2016

^^^^

A lot of players mistrust Online poker, & that's fine. But if they don't trust it......err, don't play it. It's really that simple. I dislike Asda, so I had this great idea - don't shop there. What's so hard to understand?

Many of them, of course, are just trolling. We have a troll in the PLO8 games here, as it happens. A mean, nasty individual. He sometimes asks "why don't you lot speak to me?". Tricky one, that.

Gala Notts? Wow, there were some characters there. You probably knew, & still know, Ali Bag of Bo**ox, he still plays at DTD. He was a rabbit-hunter, always turned over the burn cards. "Look, I would have won". 

How can you ever explain such thinking?

And when people talk about Online poker is rigged, & it never happens live.....That cash game there was the most bent game ever ever ever. Genuinely rigged. Cost me a few bob to realise, mind. "The Doc" remember him, Doc Makywana (sp), from India, showed me how that rigged shuffle was done. He showed me 4 times, just me & him, & I still could not see how he was doing it. But he could GUARANTEE the river would beat my hand. 

The Tourneys were self-deal, too. That kid who was dealing off the bottom had just been released from Prison for a £2 million VAT fraud.

And I see all these threads on here "you never see bent stuff in Live Poker". Are you kidding me? But, of course, I'm obliged to reply politely.

At Colyear St Derby, Gala Notts & Gutshot, to name but three, the Card Room Manager was skimming buy-ins off the prize pool, just pocketing them. I discovered it by totting up the chips in play on the Final Table, & comparing the total with the theoretical total, with an allowance for colouring up. One night at Gala, I refused to allow the Final Table to start until the shortfall was made up. I sure was popular.  

I had a £10,000 bink at Gutshot (thin....) & it took me three weeks to get paid. Meanwhile, the kid who had 20% of me wanted paying immediately. Marv.

It's beyond my comprehension that people think Sky Poker even have the ability to rig things, never mind the will. The Business was sold for £800 million 9 months ago, & is almost certainly worth double that now. And people think, to nick a Reg Fee of a quid or whatever Sky Poker would risk £x billion?

There is an adjective for these people, but I'd best not risk it.              

• edited January 2016
    Love the profile pic Mac.

Ger
  • edited January 2016
    Love the profile pic Mac. Ger
    Posted by gerardirl
    What is it? I can see it, but I can't see what it is. Looks like two knitting needles to me.  
  • edited January 2016

Well I got my rear end handed to me on a plate again last night, incred stuff.

Played 3 sets of 15 games, lost the first 7-8, lost the second 7-8, & shaded the third 8-7, ending up losing by 22-23. 

Luckily it was almost all £3 games (36), or the damage may have been far worse. Only one £11er ran, it was very quiet, & of course I lost that, too. Overall I only lost £21, & I'm still £40 up on the week, so not a disaster, but what an intriguing thing variance is. I'm never quite sure if I'm a good player who runs bad sometimes, or a bad player who runs good sometimes.

It was comical at times, nights like that usually are. I trapped my friend Dave Norsden (KidGrimsby) all ends up with the nut flush on the turn, & he turned a set of kings so could not fold. Cue the rivered quad kings, oooohhh.

Then I had a set to with our mate cheezy, who raised with something like A-2-2-7 against my Aces. The all high flop killed him stone dead, until a pesky 2 rivered him his set, oioi.

In neither case did either player do a thing wrong.

"That's it, I'm never playing the game again."

See you all later, might start early. ;)
  • edited January 2016

A new Poster to the Community today - always good to see - won my little private exclamation/question mark bingo card, he got the lot on his first day.

Every single sentence ended with an "!" or a "?", but it got better. 

He had consecutive sentences ending in the old triple "!!!" jobbie, as well as a "???".

That's called a triple double double, like a triple salko but better.

Incred scenes. How long will that record last, who will beat that, & when?

Never mind the 992 milly noise, this beats that hands down.
  • edited January 2016
    I wrote "jobbie" once and Don told me it had a different meaning where he comes from
  • edited January 2016
    I wrote "jobbie" once and Don told me it had a different meaning where he comes from
    Posted by Jac35
    It does....
  • edited January 2016
    Posted by Jac35
    there's only one meaning i know of, and that's not fit for the forum
  • edited January 2016

Quick Update.

Last week seemed a bit uphill, bad timing, bad play, bad run, whatever, so I was pleasantly surprised after I did a tot-up to see I'd earned a profit of £54. I'd take that every week.

Less pleasingly, that took my 2016 profit too precisely.....£12.01.

I've no idea what's going on, tbh. I've no idea if I'm starting a downswing, ending an upswing, both, or neither. It does not matter really, as long as I enjoy myself, which I still do.

This week has been much the same. Won 12 from the first 15 one night, & then lost 11 of the next 15. I'm sort of treading water. 

On we go.  

• edited January 2016
    Quick Update. Last week seemed a bit uphill, bad timing, bad play, bad run, whatever, so I was pleasantly surprised after I did a tot-up to see I'd earned a profit of £54. I'd take that every week. Less pleasingly, that took my 2016 profit too precisely.....£12.01. I've no idea what's going on, tbh. I've no idea if I'm starting a downswing, ending an upswing, both, or neither. It does not matter really, as long as I enjoy myself, which I still do. This week has been much the same. Won 12 from the first 15 one night, & then lost 11 of the next 15. I'm sort of treading water.  On we go.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    I'ts been spotted on more than one occasion that you seem to be playing a lot looser than usual do you think this might be causing the swings
  • edited January 2016

^^^^

Possibly, yes. I experiment all the time with ranges & strategy.

Having said that, these things are relative, & "a lot looser" is subjective, given how dreadfully nitty & tight I am. I actually doubled up in two DYM's in Level One last night. Never been known, though both were total gifts.  

• edited January 2016
    ^^^^ Possibly, yes. I experiment all the time with ranges & strategy. Having said that, these things are relative, & "a lot looser" is subjective, given how dreadfully nitty & tight I am. I actually doubled up in two DYM's in Level One last night. Never been known, though both were total gifts.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    That's interesting to a learner like me do you make these decisions based on the player you are playing or is it pre planed before you start the game I find myself once I start something it's hard to change mid game thinking I have built a big enough stack to survive and parking the bus then when I need to get busy again and I start second guessing myself ultimately leading to bad decisions
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : That's interesting to a learner like me do you make these decisions based on the player you are playing or is it pre planed before you start the game I find myself once I start something it's hard to change mid game thinking I have built a big enough stack to survive and parking the bus then when I need to get busy again and I start second guessing myself ultimately leading to bad decisions
    Posted by weecheez1
    It's dependant on a basket of things - my stack size relative to the blinds, how many players left, my perception of my opponents likely range, etc.

At some point, we are usually going to get the lot in, & these are the critical decisions. This is very opponent dependant. Whilst there are loads of better players than me, none of them scare me, but I'm very picky as to who I "flip" with.

For example, if Macacgirl (or a handful of others I won't name) pots it first, then we KNOW, 100%, assuming sensible stack sizes, she has a proper BALANCED hand. Balanced hands are key. To take those on, after they have opened, we need to be VERY strong or vey desperate. Better to wait for a weaker (but still balanced) hand & be the opener. We'll get looked up by some really weird hands at times, but I'm generally in good shape. If a good player looks me up, I need to get lucky, as they will have better. Always. Good players don't waste chips.     

• edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : That's interesting to a learner like me do you make these decisions based on the player you are playing or is it pre planed before you start the game I find myself once I start something it's hard to change mid game thinking I have built a big enough stack to survive and parking the bus then when I need to get busy again and I start second guessing myself ultimately leading to bad decisions
    Posted by weecheez1
    That's a very important part of DYM strategy maybe more important than hand ranges.

If you don't mind me mentioning this, you had me scratching my head last night.

It was 4 or 5 handed, 150-300 I think, both of us were locked for the win, I had 3,500, you had 4,000. Play this cute & we're home & hosed.

You were to my immediate left, & I was "walking you" from the SB every time. I don't waste chips in the SB, better to pass, but at 150-300, it's only raise or pass, never "make up", & if I'm a big stack, I don't go to war with the other big stack, I concentrate on the shorties.  

So I potted an unopened pot from the SB, I forget my hand, but it was extremely strong, &, naturally, it contained an Ace, maybe two, I don't exactly recall. (I don't open without an ace unless desperate). And you re-potted me. 

Now I must have been strong, as I potted again, & we got it in.

I was really surprised at your hand - something like K-Q-10-6. Deffo did not contain a Low, or an Ace. Anyway, the point is, did you ask these two questions before taking me on:

1) Is my hand likely to be ahead of his?

2) Do I NEED to fight the other big stack at this juncture?

Watch Macac, when she has 3,000 or 4,000, she just "walks" the BB. But if she raises, beware.......

Anyway, iirc, it all ended well & you fought back. It's these hands which make the difference between profit & loss. 

Hope you don't mind me telling the story, & that I recalled it correctly, but you seem keen to learn.  And that was, if I may say so, a very odd play. Over time, that sort of play will cost you plenty.     
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : That's a very important part of DYM strategy maybe more important than hand ranges. If you don't mind me mentioning this, you had me scratching my head last night.   It was 4 or 5 handed, 150-300 I think, both of us were locked for the win, I had 3,500, you had 4,000. Play this cute & we're home & hosed.   You were to my immediate left, & I was "walking you" from the SB every time. I don't waste chips in the SB, better to pass, but at 150-300, it's only raise or pass, never "make up", & if I'm a big stack, I don't go to war with the other big stack, I concentrate on the shorties.   So I potted an unopened pot from the SB, I forget my hand, but it was extremely strong, &, naturally, it contained an Ace, maybe two, I don't exactly recall. (I don't open without an ace unless desperate). And you re-potted me.  Now I must have been strong, as I potted again, & we got it in.   I was really surprised at your hand - something like K-Q-10-6. Deffo did not contain a Low, or an Ace. Anyway, the point is, did you ask these two questions before taking me on: 1) Is my hand likely to be ahead of his? 2) Do I NEED to fight the other big stack at this juncture? Watch Macac, when she has 3,000 or 4,000, she just "walks" the BB. But if she raises, beware....... Anyway, iirc, it all ended well & you fought back. It's these hands which make the difference between profit & loss.  Hope you don't mind me telling the story, & that I recalled it correctly, but you seem keen to learn.  And that was, if I may say so, a very odd play. Over time, that sort of play will cost you plenty.     
    Posted by Tikay10
    Not at all that's why I post so much I still have a brag mentality when I play. it's something that I really need to address that it's not personal when someone raises your BB I am getting there slowly but surely and I guess there will be plenty mistakes to come lol
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Not at all that's why I post so much I still have a brag mentality when I play. it's something that I really need to address that it's not personal when someone raises your BB I am getting there slowly but surely and I guess there will be plenty mistakes to come lol
    Posted by weecheez1
    ZING

It's abso NOT personal when I do that from the SB, only to the extend that I'm not interested in your chips, as we both have plenty. I'm interested in conserving my stack, so I have to be huge in this spot.

If I had 1,000 more, I'd have folded pre. No need to risk anything, steady as she goes. 

If Lady Karen graces this thread with her considerable presence, she'll tell you how she regularly folds Aces in that spot. Quite rightly, too.   
  • edited January 2016

I was trying to attack a shortie a few nights ago, & between me & he was one of THE best players on the site, but not exactly the nicest man on the site.

I had plenty, he had even more, & he knew "fold" was correct. He's VERY good, trust me. 

He one tables, & concentrates, & so always "acts" promptly.

And the clock was going down, & that going round thing was going round, & he did nothing.......

Now I know the coup exactly, 100%. He has the Aces, & he's doing his usual slowroll. 

At the last moment, he types "good luck" in the chatbox, (just lol) now we know for sure his hand, & in they all go.

I'm resigned to my fate, it happens, & he has me all locked up at both ends. But Lady Variance had been watching, & she decided to be kind, & I scooped.

BOOMIO Mr Slow-Roller. 

Now that's personal. ;)

• edited January 2016

Incidentally, this defending your BB because "it's personal" is extremely common, you are far from alone. One of our good friends has the same issue, he can't help himself, but we're gonna get him sorted.  
  • edited January 2016

If it helps encourage anyone who is enduring a tough ride at the moment........

I head into today £46 DOWN on the week, & £36 DOWN on the month. That's after a £400 profit from the period October to December.

Why? Not quite sure, but I'm definitely playing bad, & part of this comes from running bad. I've looked at it objectively, & I can't see any other reason for it.

Soldier on........  
  • edited January 2016

I got a little down last night after Mr Wet Blanket - "you are all colluding" - made more negative comments last night.

It just saddens me that there are people out there who never have a nice, or positive, thing to say about anything or anyone.

This chap rarely speaks in the chatbox, & never encourages others who are having a bad time, or unlucky, he just makes nasty, mean-spirited comments about everything.

He must be some piece of work in real life. Imagine being sat next to him on a 10 hour flight.

He's a very good player, no doubt about that, but I've never been keen on "snipers", glass half full types. 

One kid last night recovered from half a BB to become chippie, & I typed "nice recovery m8, vwp". 

Mr Wet Blanket followed up with - "not at all, he played terrible & just got lucky".

Lovely piece of work.