You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited December 2015

So, I like to be nice & organised when I have a session. Turn off the TV, stop surfing, just CONCENTRATE, & have a few hours of relaxing fun. Love it to bits, I forget all my aches, pains, worries & whittles when pokering.

It was the perfect storm yesterday, one way & another.

Just as I was preparing to start, I got involved trying to hep someone sort a problem. The problem was over a Freeroll. And one point. That went well. Ish. 

6 Forum Posts, 4 e-mails to & from the Office, over a single point & a Freeroll.

Did that make sense? Of course not.  And helping someone who is 1 point shy, or thinks they are, what about that? Next it'll be someone else who is 2 points shy, then 3, 4 or 5. And what about those who did get their required number of points - how happy might they be if we squeeze an extra player in via the back door?

So I was a bit cross with myself, because, whatever way I look at it, it was a fail. Work smart but hard says The Business. They are right. I did a FAIL. 

There was a parallel problem, too, with someone who needed a favour. 6 PM's went back & forth, & 4 E-Mails to the office. The chap asked me loads of questions, & I answered every single one, over a 4 day period. The deadline to sort it was yesterday, & my last note to him, answering all his questions, was 3 days ago. He never bothered to reply. Another waste of time. Would have been better just to send him to CC in the first place.

Not a good start, then.

And then.......... 

• edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    A very odd & strangely uncomfortable day yesterday. Gill was on her way down, (she lives in Stoke) & it generally takes 2.5 hours. So when she had not arrived after 4 hours, it started to stress me out a bit. She arrived eventually - traffic was terrible - but it sort of unsettled me a bit.   I had planned to just play the UKOPS PLO, but I realised I had 930 points, & if I reached 1,000, that'd be an extra £3. Three quid, lol, that's just a single £3.30 DYM win.   But no, Mr Greedy decided to add in enough DYM's (17 as it turned out) to reach the 1,000.   And I'm extremely "organised" normally. Have a shower first, make a cuppa & a decanter of iced water with fresh lemon, set up my A5 Pad to record results, da de da.  Instead, Gill was fussing around - nicely fussing around - but it took me out of my zone a bit, as I'm used to being alone all the time.  And I NEVER mix PLO & PLO8, it's a recipe for disaster. Maybe a younger man has the mental dexterity, but I don't. I can play either to a reasonable degree of competence, but not at the same time.  Anyway, I saw there in the UKOPS PLO, with no decent starting hands, fold, fold, quick quick fold. Meanwhile, my PLO8 DYM focus was all over the shop, & I lost 8 of the first 10. Marv.  Suddenly, I need to get a wriggle on in the PLO, & decided it's move time, so I 3 bet someone with a nice double suited dangle-less rundown, & walk smack bang into Vespa's good Aces. And runner runner a remarkable outdraw to double up. Whoops.  Anyway, I then found good DS Aces myself, & a good flop, but my man, to my left, who was not inclined to fold much, had flopped top pair, but no draw. Until he hit his top pair again. So that was that.  With better focus on the DYM's, I pulled most of the deficit back, & ended up winning 8 from 17 for a small loss. The money is of no consequence in the long term of course. Over thousands of games, a single session is neither here nor there. But.....there was some bad blood at the Tables, & my judgement in someone was proven to be wide of the mark.           
    Posted by Tikay10

Sorry to hear that Tikay, I was on a couple of your tables, and noticed you were unusually quiet in the chat.  Meanwhile I was fairly merry(to say the least) after two days of wining and dining.  I hope I wasn't too crass in the chatbox, but if so apologies.

Thanks for all your support in 2015.

Craig

• edited December 2015

One reason the PLO8 traffic has risen so spectacularly here is that we all - or most of us - really look after, & make welcome, new players.

Say "hi", make convo, generally show a bit of warmth & friendship. It's amazingly effective.

It's what the Pros should do, all the time. Some do, of course. Some don't.

So, Newbie arrives 4 or 5 days ago. There were several regulars at the table - AJ, Hendo, etc.

The table had a player with 8,000 chips, & the rest of us were all just trying to hang in.

Suddenly, Newbie complains that we are playing as a Team. Eh?

Then claimed that Mr 8,000 chips was deliberately targeting her & stealing her BB, & we were all colluding against her because "I can see you are all mates as you are talking to each other". Ahh right, that makes us cheats then.

Given Mr 8,000 was sat to her IMMEDIATE left, nicking her BB was not really an option......

We settled her down. No no no, we don't collude. Yes yes, we chat, that's what we do. Come here & play hard, but chat.

She accepted this, or seemed to. During that evening, on 5 or 6 different tables, she apologised profusely for suggesting we were all colluding.

"Forget it, it's forgotten, just enjoy yourself, we are here every night".

So that was that. 

Or so we thought.....   
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Sorry to hear that Tikay, I was on a couple of your tables, and noticed you were unusually quiet in the chat.  Meanwhile I was fairly merry(to say the least) after two days of wining and dining.  I hope I wasn't too crass in the chatbox, but if so apologies. Thanks for all your support in 2015. Craig
    Posted by 67Bhoys
    Yes, you are 3rd person to suggest I was "quiet" last night.

Apologies to all. It was a strange night.....

• edited December 2015

I had told all the fellow Ploppers about this Newbie, & asked them to make her welcome. "Yeah yeah, understood". They know the drill. & they trust me.

"Look after Newbie, she's a good kid" I said.

Then, last night, our newbie friend was on the tables again.

"Hi, how was Xmas?" we said, bla bla. No reply. Fair enough.

Then it kicked off.

In short, I bust Newbie's Aces. Well, you know, it's PLO8. It happens. A lot. Like 10 or 15 times every night to me, & anyone else who plays a bunch of games.

I do have a weakness in PLO8 for suited aces with a deuce. These are potential SCOOP hands. We don't play to win half, we play hands that can SCOOP. And suited aces with the deuce are perfect SCOOP material.

I had A-2-7-7, double suited. Newbie min-raised from the button at 25-50. I'm in the BB. I'll have a look for 50 chips, which is 2.5% of my stack. (I always calculate % of my stack).

It comes all low, 5-6-4, & 2 of my suit. Check bet call.

Turn brings my nut flush. Lovely, I have nut nut, & someone who has a big hand. Perfect.

I check, Newbie bets, we go pot pot & pot & get it all in, Newbie has bad aces, gg. The perfect "plays itself spot" for me. 

Then came the accusations. 

"You ALWAYS get lucky". 

"Well yes, I seem to". 

"And you get help from the others". 

Sorry? Can you explain?

No further comment.

Never mind, too bad. She's prob just a bit tilted.

Later, I'm railing the High Roller & some other UKOPS stuff, just wishing GL to a few friends.

Suddenly, aware that I had not uttered a word all night to my PLO8 friends - & I always chat with Karen & the Team, I thought I'd find her on a table & say goodnight.

We ALWAYS say goodnight, all of us, every night. It's nice, don't you think? It's part of the pleasure.

"My last one tonight, great fun this evening, see ya tomorrow" sorta thing.

And I find Karen, sharing a table with Newbie. Who is, once again, bleating on about us all being part of a "team". Again & again. Maca has her diplomatic head on. "Unlucky". Probably because I'd given the character reference.

I felt a bit like an eavesdropper. I said nothing & left the table.

Pretty sad when folks can't take a beat, right?

And I end up going to SS, & searching for my "Most Frequent Opponents". With a limited player pool, we do get to play against each other a lot. And we chat a lot. But oh my, we play HARD. 

Here's my "10 Most Frequent Opponents".

Eon

Alexis

Maca

Amarie

Whizzewky

Churchy

W4rlock

Winshoes

Jod

Can you imagine ANY of that lot taking it easy against each other? It's utterly brutal every night, as we vie to bust each other.

What strange times we live in, that people can't take a beat, & are allowed to defame all & sundry with no comeback.

We see it on the Community, every day, "Sky Poker is fraudulent". Not those words, but amounting to them. What right have they to say such things? If I were King for a Day, I'd sue every one of them.

And the worst thing was I told all my mates to look after this newbie. Good read that. Not.  

Right, let's see how that turkey is getting on, with that basting thing up it's orifice.      

• edited December 2015

TK,

Enjoy your turkey and please ignore all the nonsense said person is writing, I popped open a table with Stu and Ger just to say 'hi' and caught the remnants of a very similar conversation, she got short shrift from everyone.

To my mind she just doesn't understand the dynamics and strategies in DYM play.

I don't think you need to explain anything (albeit I know its your nature to try and do the right thing), on our first encounter as you mentioned we both spoke to her and tried to explain the situation, but it obviously fell on deaf ears or was unable to penetrate the tin foil conspiracy hat......

Enjoy your dinner and 'crush!!!!!!!!' tonights PLO8 tourney. 

(hope I used enough exclamation marks and the correct language to get my point across) 

• edited December 2015
    Yes she said, stu you and ger seem very friendly.

And then it kicked off

I love knocking ger out ALOT simply because he does it to me ALOT hehe.
  • edited December 2015
    I thought she was just full of Christmas Spirits so wasn't bothered with her.
    I wonder what she'd think when we're four handed and you chat-box (for anyone reading, all jokingly of course and meant in the fun spirit of things) 'please bust mac'. She'd probably explode.
    Goodluck tonight anyways, unless I'm at your table, in which case standby for a jodding.
  • edited December 2015
    Happy new year Tony.
    Thanks for all of your efforts with both PL08 dym's and the forum this year.
    Be lucky in 2016 mate.
  • edited December 2015
    Hi all, just popped in to wish you all a very happy and prosperous New Year, I'm off for a week in the sun tomorrow, but will hopefully be back on the tables again on the 8th.

Happy New Year and best wishes

Mother

xxx
  • edited December 2015
    Hi all, just popped in to wish you all a very happy and prosperous New Year, I'm off for a week in the sun tomorrow, but will hopefully be back on the tables again on the 8th. Happy New Year and best wishes Mother xxx
    Posted by Amarie
    How lovely, hope you have a grand time.

HNY & best wishes to you, too, MOTHER. 

Fingers crossed, I'll see you at UKPC in February, though if Lady Twaddle decides to come along, I'll be throwing a sickie.

xx

• edited December 2015
    TK, Enjoy your turkey and please ignore all the nonsense said person is writing, I popped open a table with Stu and Ger just to say 'hi' and caught the remnants of a very similar conversation, she got short shrift from everyone. To my mind she just doesn't understand the dynamics and strategies in DYM play. I don't think you need to explain anything (albeit I know its your nature to try and do the right thing), on our first encounter as you mentioned we both spoke to her and tried to explain the situation, but it obviously fell on deaf ears or was unable to penetrate the tin foil conspiracy hat...... Enjoy your dinner and 'crush!!!!!!!!' tonights PLO8 tourney.  (hope I used enough exclamation marks and the correct language to get my point across) 
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Thanks Hendo.

Yes, with hindsight, we can see the problem, & our friend is knocking it in badly. That's the problem, friendly when winning, can't take losing.

Quite sad really, & if I can help with some hints & tips, I will. Not nice when we all get labelled as "cheats" though, just because they can't beat the game.

The UKOPS PLO8 Tourney went well. Until I busted. I was really MTT ring-rusty, played too many DYM's & it requires a different mindset. In DYM's it's all about "economy" & preservation of our stack, 3rd place is all we try to achieve. In an MTT, more adventure is required, more gamble. 

Best of luck in 2016 mate.     

• edited December 2015
    I thought she was just full of Christmas Spirits so wasn't bothered with her. I wonder what she'd think when we're four handed and you chat-box (for anyone reading, all jokingly of course and meant in the fun spirit of things) 'please bust mac'. She'd probably explode. Goodluck tonight anyways, unless I'm at your table, in which case standby for a jodding.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Slightly more scary is this scenario.

3 of us have, say, 3,700 chips each, & Shortie has 900 chips, blinds are 150-300. 

If the other 2 big stacks are to my immediate left, I am folding EVERY HAND (including good aces) EVERY TIME. It just makes no sense to go to war with a big stack when the table includes a super Shortie.

If I have the Shortie behind me, I'm going to attack them at every opportunity. Why would I not?

And if you, or any of the other regulars were the shortie? Too bad, my basting doodar is heading towards your rear end. Fact. And that's what you'd do to me if I were Super Short.

DYM's are not just about hand rankings, opening & shoving ranges. Much of it is 4 handed strategy, especially with one Shortie.   

• edited December 2015
    Happy new year Tony. Thanks for all of your efforts with both PL08 dym's and the forum this year. Be lucky in 2016 mate.
    Posted by winshoes
    What a top bloke you are Andrew - same to you mate.
  • edited December 2015
    Hi tony and the ploppers crew seems like i missed some fun:@]..hope all are well and have had a good xmas and all have a even better new year.. And tony thank you so much for the pm really appreicate it just going too send a pm tonight  too him and see how it goes but as others have said thank you so much for all you do on the forum and the tables and the amount of time and effort you put in helping everyone that asks all the best for the new year..Brian
    Posted by churchy18
    Hope it helps, Brian. He may not reply for a few days, as he has been busy with UKOPS, & the e-Mail notification of PM's no longer works, but he WILL sort it.

I never asked him to help - he just wrote to me & volunteered. 

Given that he is amongst the most successful MTT-ers on this site, I thought that was a wonderful gesture by him.

Good luck in 2016 Brian, & send my best wishes to Mrs Churchy, Ryan, & Chloe aka The Tasmanian Devil.   

• edited December 2015
    "my basting doodar is heading towards your rear end"

T-Shirt slogan of 2016.
  • edited December 2015

2015 - Year End Report

Deposited in 2015 - Nil

Withdrawn in 2015 - Nil

Opening Balance = £1,468.98

Closing Balance = £2,740.02

Profit (including Rewards & Promo money) = £1,271.04

Games played = 4,619

Ave profit per game (including Rewards & Promo money) = £0.28
  • edited December 2015

I played 800 games between 3rd Jan & 8th March at a reasonable if low return.

I then stopped playing completely (UKPC, Vegas, this & that) until 15th July.

From 15th July until 2nd October I played 1,651 games, but I was treading water, not making any headway.

Initially, I suspected variance was to blame, but eventually I decided I needed to look at my game, & change some crucial components. It's all very mechanical, but over a decent sample size, little improvements make quite a difference.

From 2nd October, when I made the changes, until 27th December I played 2,071 games, & earned a profit (including Rewards & Promo) of £681.34, far & away the best 3 months of the year. In that period, my profit per game averaged £0.33, a substantial increase on the earlier rate of return.

So there it is. 

It's a ridiculously low rate of return, or "hourly" as the kids call it, & I'm sure I could put that time to better use. But it's my hobby, I spend most nights playing poker with nice people, & in the process, I earn, on average, £25 or £30 per week, more if we exclude the 4 month absence in the Spring. That feels OK to me.

Love it to bits, can't tell you how much I enjoy the game.         

• edited December 2015

On a more sombre note.......

I'm at the age when mental faculties start to naturally fade, &, whisper it quietly, issues such as senility, dementia, or worse creep up on us silently. It's a fact of life, there is an x% chance of it happening.

I "test myself" every day, as it scares me to bits. And you know how it is when you think you are ill, & go to google & look it up - you end up with every malaise ever invented. You do.

And what playing the DYM's does is keep my mind exercised, & busy. It is actually quite a complex game, where the low hand denies all normal poker hand rankings (pairs, sets flushes etc don't count) but the high hand is "normal rules". How bizarre is that?

Set against that, a DYM is simply obeying a disciplined SNG strategy, & needs little thought.

Playing these games 6 at a time is not "heroic" stuff, kids play 15 or 20 easily, but to me, with the complexities of PLO8, & my age, I think it's pretty useful to keep my mind ticking over a little longer. 

So there it is, my Online Poker for 2015 in a nutshell.

Wonder what 2016 holds?

See you tomorrow. 

Happy New Year, & thank you, to everyone who has posted on this little "Challenge Thread" in 2015. 

• edited December 2015
    i couldn't give two doodars if my hourly return was 2p.
    the greatest thing i ever did was stopped playing to try and win.
    love playing now more than ever, it's only taken me a thousand years to realise i don't care if i win or lose £10.

best hobby in the world i think, low stakes poker is real poker. there should be a tab in the lobby 'who gives a monkeys'
  • edited December 2015
  • edited December 2015
    All the best for 2016 and beyond Tikay. Maybe see you at the UKPC, if I get my backside in gear and actually attempt some sats.
  • edited December 2015
    Thanks for all the entertainment both on this thread and on the tables.

Completely agree with you about the 4-handed strategy, you've got to pick on the shorty, and it's amazing how often the shorty will just give up and shove with any 4 cards. Even with say 4BB at 75-100, you've got time to pick and choose your starting hands.

May our paths cross often in 2016.
  • edited December 2015

Happy new year to you, Gill and all the ploppers.
  • edited December 2015
    Happy new year tony.

And thanks for all that you do, this thread, schooling us ploppers on a regular basis,
    putting up with maca on a regular basis, helping everybody you possible can, but mostly thanks for just being a great bloke.

Kags
  • edited January 2016

Thanks Kaggy, Barny, Pommy & Plump Percy, Happy New Year to you & your families, too.
  • edited January 2016

Before we fully move on to 2016 numbers, I just want to record my December results, for "rpo" as it were.

Games played = 777

Profit = £195*

Profit per game = £0.25

* Includes £48.07 in Rewards payments, + a £20 Winter Giveaway Promo Bonus, = £68.07.

• edited January 2016

December Totals

£2.25, P1, W0 = 0%

£3.30, P365, W210 = 57.5%

£5.50, P279, W157 = 56.3%

£11, P132, W76 = 57.6%

TOTAL P777, W443, = 57.01%
  • edited January 2016

So, a mile away from the promised land of 60%, but even at 57%, it's reasonably profitable.

Now I need to try & increase that 57%. Every additional % point adds significant profit.

Think I'll aim for a modest 57.5% in January.

• edited January 2016

Don't forget, btw, that Double Points on SNG's starts on Monday for a week.