You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    May I be the first to wish you a Merry Xmas Tikay.  Did you manage to make any Black Friday purchases? I know how much you love this time of year. https://gyazo.com/c016a17734de4d670017dcb6f6eb0a0a
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Very kind of you DTM, but let's hope you are the last.

No Black Friday purchases for me, no. I'm not actually convinced that for High St Retailers, Black Friday works, all is seems to do is bring forward premium priced Xmas Sales at discounted prices. In the USA, from where it originates, yes, I get it completely, as it follows Thanksgiving, which is their big holiday, but here, we barely celebrate Thanksgiving. Course, I'm not versed in the tricks Retailers use to stimulate sales, so I guess there is good reason & logic.

For Sky Poker, of course, it worked nicely with that ridic 881 runner BH last night, & other parts of SB&G did some Black Friday promos, too, which I gather worked quite well.

My Black Friday was spent on trains (6 different ones, oioi) going to & from Brighton. Fish & Chips on the pier, (£36 for 2 people, what?) a walk along the front in a howling gale & driving rain, & a wander along "The Lanes".   
  • edited November 2015

I've been visiting Brighton for well over 60 years, I love the place, but I had quite a shock yesterday.

On the beach, right by the old (& now ruined) West Pier, they have built a chuffing great concrete sticky-up tower, with a doughnut shaped glass observation "pod" that goes up & down. The thing is a whopping 700 feet high - that's about the height of an 80 storey building. It's the brainchild of the same outfit that developed & designed The London Eye.

It's official name is "i360", but the locals - who almost all loathe it with a vengeance - have nicknamed it "iSore".

Cost? £42 milly, & counting, of which, unbelievably, £36 milly is a loan from the Brighton Council. 

All most odd.

Aussie09 is a bit of a Brighton expert, but I'm not sure he'll approve of that. Still, nice bit of concrete.  

• edited November 2015
    I've been visiting Brighton for well over 60 years, I love the place, but I had quite a shock yesterday.   On the beach, right by the old (& now ruined) West Pier, they have built a chuffing great concrete sticky-up tower, with a doughnut shaped glass observation "pod" that goes up & down. The thing is a whopping 700 feet high - that's about the height of an 80 storey building. It's the brainchild of the same outfit that developed & designed The London Eye.   It's official name is "i360", but the locals - who almost all loathe it with a vengeance - have nicknamed it "iSore".    Cost? £42 milly, & counting, of which, unbelievably, £36 milly is a loan from the Brighton Council.  All most odd.   Aussie09 is a bit of a Brighton expert, but I'm not sure he'll approve of that. Still, nice bit of concrete.    
    Posted by Tikay10

what the ....?

you would have thought that they would have spent money to remove the remains of the burnt-down west pier before building a viewing platform there.  do you think that if the i360 met a similar fate that they would leave the massive pole?  not the brighton i know at all. 

• edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : what the ....? you would have thought that they would have spent money to remove the remains of the burnt-down west pier before building a viewing platform there.  do you think that if the i360 met a similar fait that they would leave the massive pole?  not the brighton i know at all. 
    Posted by aussie09
    It beggars belief, it was such a shock to see it.

And it's smack in front of the ruins of the West Pier.

Even more bizarre, the land it sits on is owned by the West Pier Trust. Presumably, they have leased the land & hope to rebuild the pier with the proceeds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I360

http://www.brightoni360.co.uk/
  • edited November 2015

This is how it looks at present - the "doughnut" has yet to be fitted.

(Click to enlarge)

• edited November 2015
    For that money the council could have bought a couple of helicopters, paid the wages of pilots and crews, the fuel, for about 12.9 years.
    Everyone queue up, get a fly around, see more of Brighton than they would from a tragic concrete phallus.
    Optional donations afterwards for local charities.
    Easy.
    I should be a councillor me.
  • edited November 2015
    For that money the council could have bought a couple of helicopters, paid the wages of pilots and crews, the fuel, for about 12.9 years. Everyone queue up, get a fly around, see more of Brighton than they would from a tragic concrete phallus. Optional donations afterwards for local charities. Easy. I should be a councillor me.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    I'm sorry, but the words "tragic" & "concrete" must never be used together.

This utterly fascinating article describes the concrete pour for the base on May 30th.

A must read.

http://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2015/05/30/contractor-starts-pouring-4000-tonnes-of-concrete-to-create-brighton-i360-foundation

• edited December 2015

The games have been great the last few days. Great fun, not great profitable.......

Lots of new players, & more £11 games running then ever before.

We have 2 guys who limp or limp call into every hand, & call every bet.

And we have 2 new guys who pot every hand pre, & pot every street.

So when those 4 all arrive at the same table, it's fun time. I generally just sit & watch, & see how it pans out before getting involved. More often than not, they do all the work. 

Tremendous fun.   
  • edited December 2015

I've not been reporting daily or weekly numbers, it's all much of a muchness, & must make for a really boring read, but I still keep detailed daily records, so I'm going to post, just for the record, my November results.

Cliffs - played a lot, did not make much. 

Was on course for the golden 60% early on, but I ran up a variance overdraft & that had to be paid back, & it was all uphill towards the end.

The only numbers that really matter are opening & closing balances, & I advanced by £71.75 in November, to £2,531.12. It's real dripping tap stuff. This includes Rewards Payments in the period.

Cost effective, no, time effective, nope, but I play for fun, enjoy myself, & if I can make a few bob on top that's all bonus.

• edited December 2015

Games Played in November

Games won in November

56.9%
  • edited December 2015

£3.30 - P309, W185, = 59.9%

£5.50, P 158, W 83, = 52.5%

£11, P79, W43, = 54.4%
  • edited December 2015

Profit per game £0.13
  • edited December 2015

Sessions played - 16.

Winning sessions by Game Count - 9

Break even sessions by Game Count - 5

Losing sessions by Game Count - 2 

Winning sessions by money -8

Losing sessions by money - 8

Biggest session profit - +£80.92

Biggest session loss - -£37.70
  • edited December 2015

Daily detail, these are daily sessions.

P 27, W 12, 44%, -£28.08

P 30, W 19, 63%, +£35.50

P30, W 19, 63%, +£2.00

P 30, W15, 50%, -£26.60

P 60, W38, 63%, +£80.92

P 30, W15, 50%, -£18.10

P 30, W22, 73%, +£15.40

P 30, W18, 60%, +£4.60

P30, W15, 50%, -£17.40

P30, W20, 67%, +£44.90

P 45, W24, 53%, +£20.20

P35, W17, 49%, -£6.68

P30, W15, 50%, -£37.70

P30, W15, 50%, -£31.40

P48, W29, 60%, +£33.93

P30, W17, 57%, +£2.10

Mixed stakes confuses the numbers, it can swing either way, & the Rewards payments also mean the numbers don't seem to correlate. The only figure that matters really is the opening & closing balance.

• edited December 2015

And there, in a nutshell, is variance.

Once we get comfortable with the stunning power of variance, the game becomes so much more enjoyable.

I want to win as much as the next player, but beats & bad runs happen, & I'm 100% comfortable with the ebb & flow. 

Still think I can & should do better though, particularly as to concentration. Playing less games at a time - my normal is 6 - would probably help, too, but I really need 6 to (try to) aid my concentration. I deffo leave money behind by playing too many, but it's volume that smooths variance.

Anyway, whatever, love the game.

• edited December 2015
    And there, in a nutshell, is variance. Once we get comfortable with the stunning power of variance, the game becomes so much more enjoyable.   I want to win as much as the next player, but beats & bad runs happen, & I'm 100% comfortable with the ebb & flow.  Still think I can & should do though, particularly as to concentration. Playing less games at a time - my normal is 6 - would probably help, too, but I really need 6 to (try to) aid my concentration. I deffo leave money behind by playing too many, but it's volume that smooths variance.   Anyway, whatever, love the game.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Turn chat off?
    I know this would probably go against your instincts as you wouldn't want to appear rude. I'm sure there's always one reg at your tables who would let someone know that you didn't have chat on
  • edited December 2015
    And there, in a nutshell, is variance. Once we get comfortable with the stunning power of variance, the game becomes so much more enjoyable.

Very true, and can be a hard lesson to learn. I remember hearing a poker player say no player is that good that they are not effected to some degree when they go on a bad run.

I have personally found dropping the number of games to be really helpful. It's helped me developed elements like blind on blind action, being more observant, which can give you an edge against players who are excessively mtting and not fighting for every pot.

Goodluck over the festive season.

Tim
  • edited December 2015

Great questions by Grumpy Paul & Happy Tim, & I'll return to them & reply soonest. Great comments/questions by both, & I could reply at great length if time permitted, but I'll deffo reply soonest. 

First though.....

• edited December 2015

Wonderful fun last night, so much craic & action, but.....

Players often kindly ask how I am getting on, "how many you won tonight?" sorta thing.

At the time, according to my little system, I had won 14  on the bounce, & replied as such, & everyone was "ooh, well done".

But when I ended my 30 game session, as always, I went to Sharkscope to reconcile my own data, and it did not have the same thing. I HAD won 14 on the bounce, but not in the same order as Sharkscope.

My "notebook" system* shows DYM's in STARTING order, whereas SS shows them in finishing order. Different things entirely. So apologies of I misled anyone. 

Anyway, overall last night, I did have a 14 from 15 streak, & ended up with a most pleasing 20 from 30, spoiled only by losing 2 of the last 3, one of which was an unforced error, made a right blunder in an awkward spot & paid the price.

* My system?

An A5 notebook, in which, as I go along, I note, for each DYM...

The start time. 

The buy-in. 

The Reward Points tally to date, in the session. 

The cumulative, to date in the session, profit or loss.

Then, using a Red (lost) or Green (won) marker pen, I highlight it.

Then, post session, I double check it all, & do a final summary of Game wins & losses, Reward Points, Account Balance, & Profit or Loss on the day.

All of which, of course, is completely useless, but it ticks my OCD box.  
  • edited December 2015

One notable absentee this week, despite plenty of £11 games running, which he likes, is Hotwheals. I was a little worried initially, but then I checked SS, & it looks like he is bashing everyone up on the NLH HU games. oioi.

We have a newcomer though, & a very pleasant one too.

Player "1al1" joined us, & I welcomed her, as most of us do to all "new faces".  (The Pros should all do this, but don't start me off, or I'll start ranting).

Anyway, I said "hi", & she replied, somewhat surprisingly, along the lines of "is that the real tikay?" (bla bla), & then "my boyfriend respects you very much, & says "hi"". 

Eh?

And it transpired that she is the young lady of a player you may remember from TSP days - "Gixxer".  

Ali is a very tidy player, too, mainly plays NLH DYM's & does jolly well, but now she plays a handful of PLO8 DYM's every night, & I think she rather enjoys them, & is always scrupulously polite in the chat box.

So we have another regular.

"lumkmin", who usually plays HU PLO8 - & very successfully too - also joins us most nights now for a bunch of games, mainly the £11 games. He's fearlessly aggressive, & very good, & so I try to avoid taking him on if I can, but if I have a hand, yeah, we dance. When you play a pot with lumkmin though, you are playing for stacks, rarely less. Scary, but fun, like when you are on the M1 & want a wee, but decide "one more Service Station" before I stop. And the moment you pass this one, you regret it. I'm like that with lumkmin, don't really want to play for stacks early, but now & then I need that buzz.  And we get to the turn, & he tries to get me off.  *close eyes & press mouse*

Love the buzz.    

• edited December 2015
    One notable absentee this week, despite plenty of £11 games running, which he likes, is Hotwheals. I was a little worried initially, but then I checked SS, & it looks like he is bashing everyone up on the NLH HU games. oioi.   We have a newcomer though, & a very pleasant one too.   Player " 1al1" joined us, & I welcomed her, as most of us do to all "new faces".  (The Pros should all do this, but don't start me off, or I'll start ranting).   Anyway, I said "hi", & she replied, somewhat surprisingly, along the lines of "is that the real tikay?" (bla bla), & then "my boyfriend respects you very much, & says "hi"".  Eh? And it transpired that she is the young lady of a player you may remember from TSP days - "Gixxer".    Ali is a very tidy player, too, mainly plays NLH DYM's & does jolly well, but now she plays a handful of PLO8 DYM's every night, & I think she rather enjoys them, & is always scrupulously polite in the chat box.   So we have another regular.   "lumkmin ", who usually plays HU PLO8 - & very successfully too - also joins us most nights now for a bunch of games, mainly the £11 games. He's fearlessly aggressive, & very good, & so I try to avoid taking him on if I can, but if I have a hand, yeah, we dance. When you play a pot with lumkmin though, you are playing for stacks, rarely less. Scary, but fun, like when you are on the M1 & want a wee, but decide "one more Service Station" before I stop. And the moment you pass this one, you regret it. I'm like that with lumkmin, don't really want to play for stacks early, but now & then I need that buzz.  And we get to the turn, & he tries to get me off.  *close eyes & press mouse* Love the buzz.      
    Posted by Tikay10

very very good player

• edited December 2015

^^^^

Just a bit. Great fun to play though, he really applies the pressure. When he plays, the game time is generally less than average.

His presence enabled me to do two very unusual things (for me) last night - doubled up very first hand in one, & busted very first hand in another. I can't ever recall busting first hand in these DYM's previously.   

• edited December 2015

I just wanted to give a quick shoutout to FCHD, who goes by the nickname of "Barny", as in Barny the Barnacle. As in, he sticks like a barnacle, & you can't get rid of him.

We played a DYM together earlier in the week, it was Level 1, I had around 1,900, Barny about 2,100.

There was a flop of A-4-4.

I had the Aces.

Barny had A-4-x-x. 

As you can readily imagine, even two nits are getting it in there. In fact Barny could possibly have folded if I had raised pre, but I had not raised & so he could not put me on Aces. They were not good Aces, & it was early doors - I very rarely raise early with Aces, though if someone else does, then I generally repot. So he could not get off the hand. 

Anyway, that left him with 185 chips. 

Well you know the story, he just clung & clung, & remarkably, was eventually chip leader. In fact I was the low stack 4 handed, but then the other two decided to get the lot in pre - both of them with low only hands which struck me as a little odd - & so we both cashed.

WP Barny.      

• edited December 2015

A welcome return to form for mmmchips, too.

He's been running pretty bad for a few weeks, but was in fine form last night, & every time I looked he was sitting with a monster stack.

BEAST

• edited December 2015
    A welcome return to form for mmmchips, too. He's been running pretty bad for a few weeks, but was in fine form last night, & every time I looked he was sitting with a monster stack.   BEAST  
    Posted by Tikay10

Glad to hear Sir Chips had a bit of run good, his acerbic humour has me in stitches at times.

• edited December 2015

He might just be the most witty, laconic & clever guy in the chat boxes, always entertaining, especially when others give him a bit of grief, it's hilarious.

He's like Lawrence Gosney in some ways, wonderful table company, but he is so dry & deadpan that many people get whooshed.

He has a wonderful real like nickname, but he might get a bit cross with me if I reveal it, so I'd best keep schtum. 

Proper character.
  • edited December 2015

In the regular chat box nonsense, some folks asked me over the last few days, just convo really, "how are you running at the mo?", & I'd mentioned I'd been on a bit of a bad run. It's nice that people show interest in others, so here is a brief resume.

I have had a bad December, partly due to repaying my variance overdraft from October & November, my best 2 months ever, & by a long way, so a swong was due.

Even so, it did dent my confidence a bit, & then I started trying too hard, disturbing the balance of my game, & that made it worse.

So here's December in all it's glory. 

1st, - £7.60

2nd, +£20.60

3rd, +£10.30

4th, -£28.60

5th, -£27.65

6th, -£18.30

7th, -£20.50

8th, +£42.60

So not a disaster, & I can pull it back with a bit of neutral or good run.

I started late last night - long & heavy day at the office - & only played 21, compared to my normal 30.

That included £3 @ £11, & I won all three. And here's a piece of run-good that we don't always recognize easily, as run-good is not just walking into bigger hands, coolers or general bad luck in play - it's also where we get seated.

In 2 of those 3 @ £11 last night, a chap played who limps EVERY hand. No matter what the blinds are, or what his stack size is, or other stack sizes, he limps into EVERY hand, then min bets on the flop. Every hand.

So the nut seat is to his direct left, & we can just pick him off. And I got that nut seat in 2 of the 3 games.

Proper run-good, that.   
  • edited December 2015
    More questions

With stars making such significant changes recently on rakeback, do you think that more sites will follow suit to some degree?

I read the other day that a fantastic player from a little while ago has gone and got himself a job. I read that he maybe felt that the game had passed him by a bit. How and why do you think that this can happen?

Top 5 players who are good for the game?

Am I the only person interested in poker who isn't the slightest bit interested in reading Tendlar? 

• edited December 2015
    More questions With stars making such significant changes recently on rakeback, do you think that more sites will follow suit to some degree? I read the other day that a fantastic player from a little while ago has gone and got himself a job. I read that he maybe felt that the game had passed him by a bit. How and why do you think that this can happen? Top 5 players who are good for the game? Am I the only person in poker who isn't the slightest bit interested in reading Tendlar? 
    Posted by Jac35
    Blimey, some interesting ones there Paul.

I fear I may ruffle a feather or two in replying, & get myself in all sorts of trouble, but I'll give it a go.