You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Don't forget, btw, that Double Points on SNG's starts on Monday for a week.
    Posted by Tikay10
    For once I'll be taking full advantage of this double points lark. 

Do you ever venture into NLHE these days Tikay or just stick to the 4 card games? Just sniffing out the value ofc ;)
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : For once I'll be taking full advantage of this double points lark.  Do you ever venture into NLHE these days Tikay or just stick to the 4 card games? Just sniffing out the value ofc ;)
    Posted by Lambert180

Ha, interesting question, I'll reply tomorrow if I may.

For now, here's the poser for you.....

What is the skill balance required between knowledge of the format (NLH, PLO, Turbo or whatever) & a good understanding of DYM/SNG dynamics?

In PLO8, people do THE most odd things, limping multi way with blinds at 150-300 (Hello SQUEEZE), limp/folding from a 3BB stack, limp calling with a marginal with the blinds big, & this is where much of our (perceived edge) arises.

It happens in PLO8, does it happen in DYM's at the £3/£5/£10 levels?

Of late, some of the PLO8 tables are vey good quality, & take a lot of beating, but there are still plenty of odd plays. 

Played one last night, 3 of us are locked, & I attacked the shortie with a Premium, but the Chippie was sat between us & re-raised, lol, so the Shortie promptly folded. And so did I. Obviously. It worked out OK in the end, but it just made no sense.  

• edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Ha, interesting question, I'll reply tomorrow if I may. For now, here's the poser for you..... What is the skill balance required between knowledge of the format (NLH, PLO, Turbo or whatever) & a good understanding of DYM/SNG dynamics? In PLO8, people do THE most odd things, limping multi way with blinds at 150-300 (Hello SQUEEZE), limp/folding from a 3BB stack, limp calling with a marginal with the blinds big, & this is where much of our (perceived edge) arises.   It happens in PLO8, does it happen in DYM's at the £3/£5/£10 levels? Of late, some of the PLO8 tables are vey good quality, & take a lot of beating, but there are still plenty of odd plays.  Played one last night, 3 of us are locked, & I attacked the shortie with a Premium, but the Chippie was sat between us & re-raised, lol, so the Shortie promptly folded. And so did I. Obviously. It worked out OK in the end, but it just made no sense.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thats one thing that really tilts me !

Worse than that is when the shortie calls and the Chippie has a pile of poo and doubles him up ! grrrrrrr
  • edited January 2016

Everyone has a plan, until they get a punch in the mouth (Mike Tyson).

Decided to play my session early yesterday, as I'd only played one day this week, & wanted to get to 500 points.

Lost 9 of the first 15, & 8 of the next 15, to leave me 17-13 behind & in a big hole, accentuated by losing 3 from 3 @ £11, & being a whopping £58 behind.

The £11 losses were fine, walking into eccentric hands which hit, which I don't mind, as long as the guys keep playing, I lost to 10-10-5-5, Q-Q-7-7, & K-10-7-6, all three being all-in pre-flop in Level One. oioi. 

Persevered, I felt I was playing OK, & eventually played 60 games, just edging the game count 31-29, but losing £29, negating the £30 profit from Friday. 

Still, I'm well on the way to 500 points, & £5 Rewards Money, so that's ok then.....

Back for more punishment this afternoon, after a brief power nap.

Don't you just love poker, the way it messes with us?  

• edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Thats one thing that really tilts me ! Worse than that is when the shortie calls and the Chippie has a pile of poo and doubles him up ! grrrrrrr
    Posted by VespaPX
    It's ridiculous, isn't it. Don't think the guys "get it".

And yeah, monster chippie, adrenelin racing, wants to call the Shortie with any 4, & keeps doubling him up.

It's fine really, we want these guys in the game, but it does cause some furrowed brows.

• edited January 2016
    There's no first place in a DYM.
    It does make me giggle when Mr. 6000 chips refuses to coast home.
    We've all seen Mr. 6000 chips bubble at one time or another.
  • edited January 2016
    There's no first place in a DYM. It does make me giggle when Mr. 6000 chips refuses to coast home. We've all seen Mr. 6000 chips bubble at one time or another.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    I saw Mr 8,000 chips lose one yesterday. I mean, how is that possible?

2 of us had less than 1,000 chips at 150-300 at the time.
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Ha, interesting question, I'll reply tomorrow if I may. For now, here's the poser for you..... What is the skill balance required between knowledge of the format (NLH, PLO, Turbo or whatever) & a good understanding of DYM/SNG dynamics? In PLO8, people do THE most odd things, limping multi way with blinds at 150-300 (Hello SQUEEZE), limp/folding from a 3BB stack, limp calling with a marginal with the blinds big, & this is where much of our (perceived edge) arises.   It happens in PLO8, does it happen in DYM's at the £3/£5/£10 levels? Of late, some of the PLO8 tables are vey good quality, & take a lot of beating, but there are still plenty of odd plays.  Played one last night, 3 of us are locked, & I attacked the shortie with a Premium, but the Chippie was sat between us & re-raised, lol, so the Shortie promptly folded. And so did I. Obviously. It worked out OK in the end, but it just made no sense.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    I would argue that this can sometimes be the right play.
    Obv not if he has 6k chips but say the pair of you have around 4K then i think it's fine. It's highly unlikely that you will continue and so he has free chips and is now totally locked. 
    When blinds get high in dyms then what appears to be a locked position can soon change.

• edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Ha, interesting question, I'll reply tomorrow if I may. For now, here's the poser for you..... What is the skill balance required between knowledge of the format (NLH, PLO, Turbo or whatever) & a good understanding of DYM/SNG dynamics? In PLO8, people do THE most odd things, limping multi way with blinds at 150-300 (Hello SQUEEZE), limp/folding from a 3BB stack, limp calling with a marginal with the blinds big, & this is where much of our (perceived edge) arises.   It happens in PLO8, does it happen in DYM's at the £3/£5/£10 levels? Of late, some of the PLO8 tables are vey good quality, & take a lot of beating, but there are still plenty of odd plays.  Played one last night, 3 of us are locked, & I attacked the shortie with a Premium, but the Chippie was sat between us & re-raised, lol, so the Shortie promptly folded. And so did I. Obviously. It worked out OK in the end, but it just made no sense.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Interesting question. It's hard to put an actual % split on it but I'd definitely say it's in favour of people having a good knowledge of the format (NLHE for example) over the game type. It's the people with a good in depth understanding of the game as a whole that can turn their hand to anything because they just understand how the game works fundamentally. Like if someone is a brilliant cash player and decides to grind some MTTs, they will I'm sure be a bit rusty in some shallower spots but they'll generally do well imo cos they understand the game vv well.

Funny actually, cos Dohhh asked me something about this last night on facebook....

==============

Dohhhhh
    whats the dym volume been like? u done any study or just winging itMewinging it lol ============== That's simplifying a bit, but I believe if you've got a good understanding of the game, you'll do alright at low stakes DYMs.
  • edited January 2016
    Posted by Tikay10

The biggest difference in the dynamics of a PLO8 DYM and the other two, is the split pot.  If 2 players get it in NLH or PLO, one is going to win the pot outright, either knocking the other out or crippling his stack.

I think the dynamic in PLO8 is totally different, you cannot wait for 2 players to get it in so much, as there is the possibility of a split, and more chance you may be blinded out.

When 2 players get it in NLH and PLO, I'm definitely not shouting "High Cards High Cards" at the computer.
  • edited January 2016

^^^^

Agree with that, Craig. It's a most peculiar game, & that's who so many struggle to make the transition. Which, so far in 2016, includes me.......

• edited January 2016

I don't update on here daily now even though I'm a stat-nerd, & keep detailed records of every game, start time, result, daily highs & lows etc, game % at each buy-in level, but it's too boring to read, & anyway, it's too short term to form any opinion. Must say, RLTR16 does a very succinct daily Update.

With one week of 2016 gone, time for a quick update though.

For context, I ended 2015 on a proper heater, I could do no wrong, made more money in the last 3 months than any 3 month period (around £400), & on 27th December, the bankroll (account balance) reached an all time high of £2,753.65.

Onto 2016, then. How can I lose?

• edited January 2016

1st Jan, P40, W25, = 60% (+£30.22) 

2nd Jan, P60, W31, = 52% (-£29.80) 

3rd Jan, P30, W13, = 43% (-£28.50) 

4th Jan, P41, W23, = 56% (-£2.90) 

5th Jan, P31, W18, = 58% (-£15.65) 

6th Jan, P34, W18, = 53% (+£2.47) 

7th Jan, P35, W16, = 46% (-£42.20) 
  • edited January 2016

In summary, failed to beat 55% 4 times from 7, & made a loss 5 of 7 nights.

That shaves some £80 of the all time high.

Harumph.

This week alone, in 4 sessions, have played a massive 40 games @ £11, & won exactly half of them. There's £40 down the swaneee right there.

On a brighter note, the Double Points thing has really boosted traffic, & with 3 nights left this week, I'm already on 1,646 (£24.60), & am aiming for £50. (The rate per point increases to 2p when I reach 2,000 points).

Funny thing is, despite a horrific 7 nights, I'm still enjoying it immensely, the tables have been great fun, & most players are in good heart.  

• edited January 2016

Last night, things changed for the better - or so I thought.

I mean, after 12 games, I had won 10, & was already £35 up. 

How could I lose?

Game 15 was the turning point, & it was like turning a light switch off, just like that I could not do a thing right. I lost 14 of the last 17, including the last 8 on the bounce. Ugh. 

Run bad, play bad, right decisions at the wrong time, & wrong decisions at the wrong time.

It was carnage, carnage I tell you.

Game 15, a £10er, the one when the tide turned, was almost surreal. 

4 of us left, newbie takes a beat & is left with 65 chiops @ 150-300, facing the BB next hand. 

How can I lose?

I've no idea, but I did. 

I did nothing wrong, & the other 2 big stacks were not messing about, or forcing anyone out of the hand, everyone did everything correctly.

And Mr 65 chips, all-in every hand, doubled, & doubled, & doubled......

He ran his stack up to 2,000 with blinds now a whopping 1,000-2,000, & I was obliged to take him on in the Blinds, luckily I had a nice hand, A-J-4-3, & he had, I think, 7-7-8-8.

The rest of the session was just bleurgh, finding every conceivable way to lose games, including some dodgy decisions on my part, & some gasp-worthy calls.  

How DO these things happen?

Epic scenes, as the kids say. 

Back for more punishment tonight. Hope springs eternal, & all that.    

• edited January 2016

The only unpleasant side to this is one chap, who I think may be a Priority guy, masking repeated remarks about the play of others.

"WTF?"

"Really?"

"How bad are you?"

"You are SO bad"

To top it all, he got it all-in with another very good player, & the latter was in an awkward spot on the river, eventually calling with 2nd/2nd & losing the lot. So the chap must have been feeling pretty bad at that moment. He would have been feeling worse after this rub from Mr Prio.

"Why call?" 

Don't you just love these mean spirited sorts?
  • edited January 2016

It was crash bang wallop night last night, with chips flying in all directions.

Traffic was very very good, & no loess than 17 games ran at £11. Not long ago, we'd be lucky to get that many in a week.

Another eye-popper is that I register for all £11, £5 & £3 games, & if I reach my max (6 tables) I drop the £3 games. Last night was the first session in which the £11 games outnumbered the £5 & £3 games.

Here was the split, & the results. 

£3.30, P10, W6 = 60%

£5.50, P9, W5 = 55%

£11 P17, W9 = 53%

Stats don't tell half the story though. I mentioned yesterday I'm struggling this week, best part of £80 down, & in the £11 games, I was 50% on 40 x £11 games, which is bad, as the Reg Fees alone come to £40. 

It got worse last night, I lost the first FIVE games at £11. Don't think I did too much wrong, perhaps a bit gun shy & tentative, but & got jodded 3 times (he had 8-8-3-3, Q-Q-4-4, & 7-7-8-8, & bust me each time), then I banged heads, perhaps unwisely, with Karen, she had balanced Aces (high & low) & I had high only Aces, & I got deservedly quartered.

So my head was getting in a bit of a mess, but I hung in, & a remarkable change happened - I played 12 more @ £11 & won 9 of them, including the last 5 on the bounce.

I checked my account balance after play, fearing the worst, & when I saw I had turned a profit of £3 - THREE QUID - it felt like a great escape. 

After being £49 down after 20 games, that's a right result. 

Reward Points earned last night was a whopping 530, bringing the total this week to 2,186 so far, which is about £43, with 2 sessions remaining. It's not good when Rewards money is needed to reduce the game losses though.

2 sessions left, & I'm hoping I can pull a bit more back.

Tremendous fun last night, there were 2 aggro players who were like the poker version of duelling banjos, they were at it hammer & tong, whilst us nits just watched & gasped.

See you later.        

• edited January 2016
    "& got jodded 3 times, he had 8-8-3-3......"

I love him even more.
  • edited January 2016
    "& got jodded 3 times, he had 8-8-3-3......" I love him even more.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Isn't that the "Arsenal" hand?

Tikay have you booked your trip on The Flying Scotsman yet?
  • edited January 2016
    Yeah Vesp, 8833 is the Arsenal hand that sent TK into a fit on the tellybox. Funny how the game has changed and that's considered a normal hand to play by many nowadays.

I thought I'd share this cos I find it funny, I reset stats for the 1000 game challenge, and I've now played 136 games and have made a profit of 13p.
    I had a look as I thought I'd defo be down, been messing about too much.
    Just shows how easy it is for the game to pay for itself. Throw in the rewards and my BR is increasing, ridiculous really.
    13p game profit.
    Love it.
    14 games to go and I'll leave an update in the 1000 game challenge thread. I'd love to get the profit down to less than 10p.
  • edited January 2016
    Yeah Vesp, 8833 is the Arsenal hand that sent TK into a fit on the tellybox. Funny how the game has changed and that's considered a normal hand to play by many nowadays. I thought I'd share this cos I find it funny, I reset stats for the 1000 game challenge, and I've now played 136 games and have made a profit of 13p. I had a look as I thought I'd defo be down, been messing about too much. Just shows how easy it is for the game to pay for itself. Throw in the rewards and my BR is increasing, ridiculous really. 13p game profit. Love it. 14 games to go and I'll leave an update in the 1000 game challenge thread. I'd love to get the profit down to less than 10p.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Play me, I'll help you achieve your target.
  • edited January 2016

I cracked it last night, & got back on the winning trail.

After 20 games, I had won 13 (65%), including all 3 @ £11, & I was £39 ahead.

Shame I then played another 8, including 2 @ £11, & lost every single one of the 8.

Ended up P28, W13 (46%, yuk) & a loss of £9.80.

I'm the greatest.

Onwards & upwards (?) today.

2,446 Reward Points in the bag so far this week, that's just shy of £50, & a few hundred more today. At least that'll defray some of this week's losses.

• edited January 2016

In better news, Lady Twaddle had some sort of technical issue last night, & could not use the chatbox, except to type full stops.

So some of the less scrupulous players just abused her all evening. Disgraceful, really. 

All she could say by way of reply was...

"... ... ... .... ..... ..."

• edited January 2016
    In better news, Lady Twaddle had some sort of technical issue last night, & could not use the chatbox, except to type full stops. So some of the less scrupulous players just abused her all evening. Disgraceful, really.  All she could say by way of reply was... "... ... ... .... ..... ..."  
    Posted by Tikay10

Seriously though, isn't it weird when the chat facility doesn't work unless i added full stops and no spaces?
    That was on the machine that went weird after the update.
    Reverted to netbook later last night and ok.
    I won £3.73p last night. Check me out.
    I have about 30 odd more games to go in the 1000 challenge to hit 200, then I'm going to play properly for a 100 to see what happens.
    so, .... ...
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Seriously though, isn't it weird when the chat facility doesn't work unless i added full stops and no spaces? That was on the machine that went weird after the update. Reverted to netbook later last night and ok. I won £3.73p last night. Check me out. I have about 30 odd more games to go in the 1000 challenge to hit 200, then I'm going to play properly for a 100 to see what happens. so, .... ...
    Posted by Macacgirl1

I can tell you right now what will happen, although my recent bad run may be colouring my thought process ;-)))
  • edited January 2016
    Well played eon, the very best of luck to you in the ukpc 
  • edited January 2016
    Well played eon, the very best of luck to you in the ukpc 
    Posted by ajmilton
    +1
  • edited January 2016
    In better news, Lady Twaddle had some sort of technical issue last night, & could not use the chatbox, except to type full stops. So some of the less scrupulous players just abused her all evening. Disgraceful, really.  All she could say by way of reply was... "... ... ... .... ..... ..."  
    Posted by Tikay10

Lol I can't believe how naive you were Tk

The lady was conversing in morse code, her.....  and spaces spelled out a cryptic and intimate message for yourself. 

• edited January 2016
    Dont think you will mind me posting this here tikay. Look at what eon has just done very well played eon some doing beating 1500. best of luck at the ukpc £1,000 Rewards FR Tournament Complete Finished at 21:50 - 13 Jan Registered 1513 / 2500 Players Left 0 / 1513 1 eon1961 - £100 + £1,000,000 UKPC 2 Pokermile - £60 3 zackellis1 - £40 4 DELDAVE - £30 5 JimRiddle7 - £30 6 Emm4z - £30 7 gravyb - £20 8 schlem1 - £20 9 MrJoeBlogs - £20 10 jesuz - £20 11 FeelGroggy - £10 12 prepared - £10
    Posted by churchy18
    I see that an old forum favourite came 5th as well.
    I imagine he predicted he'd finish 5th before it all started
  • edited January 2016
    Dont think you will mind me posting this here tikay. Look at what eon has just done very well played eon some doing beating 1500. best of luck at the ukpc £1,000 Rewards FR Tournament Complete Finished at 21:50 - 13 Jan Registered 1513 / 2500 Players Left 0 / 1513 1 eon1961 - £100 + £1,000,000 UKPC 2 Pokermile - £60 3 zackellis1 - £40 4 DELDAVE - £30 5 JimRiddle7 - £30 6 Emm4z - £30 7 gravyb - £20 8 schlem1 - £20 9 MrJoeBlogs - £20 10 jesuz - £20 11 FeelGroggy - £10 12 prepared - £10
    Posted by churchy18
    Sorry for delayed reply, been a bit busy.

Wowzer, that's just splendid, well done old fella, & at last, we'll get a chance to meet. Lord knows what our friend ("you live in the same area so you must be colluding") will say when he knows we have actually met. ;)

Honestly, I'm chuffed to bits for you, can't wait for the big day.

See you there. We might even find ourselves a table & get a little PLO8 SNG going. ;)