You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited November 2015

Oh yes, I love her to bits. Sort of. A bit. Ish.

Anyway, she is back amongst us now, & when we play poker against friends - close friends - we DO play different. It's not ego, but there's some perverse extra pleasure in busting a mate - insta followed by regret.

Generally, I like to get my money in good, & if I get outdrawn, too bad, I'll live. I actually don't enjoy wining when I outdraw someone. They had me beat all ends up, & I got lucky. Where's the satisfaction in that?

But with close friends, the dynamic changes completely. I horribly outdrew Karen last night, & typed BOOMIO, but afterwards I felt a bit sad. Not for long, mind, she got it back next game with one of her dreaded spite calls.

On a related topic, there is a chap on Twitter who gives me horrendous grief (well there's a few actually, like I care...) because he thinks I dislike Richard Orford. You can't make this stuff up, can you? Course I give Orford grief, but that's because I love him to bits. Really.

Same with Mr Ambo. I put my elbow in his ribs all the time - because I think he's the greatest, & a smashing friend. 

Amazing that some folks get whooshed by all that stuff. 

Anyway, I'd best push on. The Forum was a bit angry yesterday. Bridges to build, fences to mend, eh?     

• edited November 2015

Quick shout out to a newcomer to the PLL8 DYM ranks, "yuranasset", who joined us for 3 or 4 games last night.

We made him very welcome - ALL poker players should try a bit of that, instead of blaming the sites for everything - & he seemed to really enjoy himself.

And if yuranasset reads this, & wants a bit of help with PLO8 tips & advice, let us know, & I'll try & help, as will those who really know how to play the game. My best advice would usually be "fold".....It's what I do best.
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Quick shout out to a newcomer to the PLL8 DYM ranks, "yuranasset ", who joined us for 3 or 4 games last night.   We made him very welcome - ALL poker players should try a bit of that, instead of blaming the sites for everything - & he seemed to really enjoy himself. And if yuranasset reads this, & wants a bit of help with PLO8 tips & advice, let us know, & I'll try & help, as will those who really know how to play the game. My best advice would usually be "fold".....It's what I do best.
    Posted by Tikay10
    so you're saying he was rubbish?
    Jeez, people can be so nasty on forums
  • edited November 2015

Ha, behave yerself Lord G.

He admitted to being "confused". A feeling I know well.

• edited November 2015

Random chat-box convo last night, from our beloved (?) Karen, aka Macacgirl.

She gives us a running commentary on what she is eating, or anticipating eating. Tells us everything. I tried muting her, but she's un-muteable. 

Anyway, we get this....

"I'm now eating spare ribs". 

Soon followed by this pearl of wisdom.

"It's very hard to eat spare ribs with one hand".

Fair comment, I guess, not the sort of thing many of us would try.

Her poor husband gets some grief, too. She decided "it's time for pudding", only to discover Hubbie had eaten it all.  

"Right. I'm off to the pub to tell him his fortune."

Poor man.

• edited November 2015
    I am back playing the 3.30s so may join the food chat and spite call sessions.

Interesting hand in my diary Tikay if you get the chance to view it.

All-in 3 way pre-flop in a PLO8 dym at Level 1. I can't see how that is ever +EV for any player to be 1 of 3 players with your stack on the line, even me who had the best hand going in.
  • edited November 2015
    Quick shout out to a newcomer to the PLL8 DYM ranks, "yuranasset ", who joined us for 3 or 4 games last night.   We made him very welcome - ALL poker players should try a bit of that, instead of blaming the sites for everything - & he seemed to really enjoy himself. And if yuranasset reads this, & wants a bit of help with PLO8 tips & advice, let us know, & I'll try & help, as will those who really know how to play the game. My best advice would usually be "fold".....It's what I do best.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed the 4 games I played last night. I think a mixed combination of PLO Hi-Lo and the DYM format. I hadn't play PLO Hi-Lo before and rarely dabbled in the loose game. Hadn't played DYM's for years and I think the combo was great for a wee buzz. I finished the night with 1 Fifth, 2 Bubbles and finally a cash.

I will use the the PLO8 thread to post some hands that can be picked apart. Despite actually learning the rules whilst playing (although I was aware of both a Hi & Lo pot) I had no idea that my 6 high hand was good without any straights or flushes. Done a bit of reading on it last night after the session to discover that low flushes don't count and low pairs are the devil.

I think some of my exits where the result of bad DYM play as well as PLO8 play. 2 Jams came from UTG still 6max (mainly due to stack sizes) whilst trying to get through what can probably be called less than average holdings, but you will be better placed to confirmed this. 

As soon as I rediscover how to post hands again I will endeavour to do so. With this in mind I will defo be back for some action to see if I can increase on my 25% ITM.

• edited November 2015

^^^

Yes, it's a real peculiarity that the low pot in PLO8 does not have pairs, sets, houses, flushes or even straights really. The wheel - A-2-3-4-5 - is a "5 low" for the low hand, & a 5 high straight for the high hand.

There was a very sad hand last night involving 3 of us, think "Winshoes" may have been in the pot with me, & a stranger to PLO8. The board ran out 7-8-10-J-K, Winshoes & I both had A-Q for Broadway, the new guy had A-3-4-5 & he re-raised us both all-in on the river & obviously done his complete stack poor chap. We could only assume that he never realised you must use 2 cards in PLO & PLO8.

It's sad because he is almost certainly lost to the PLO8 squad now, as he must have felt aggrieved & confused. 

You make a very good point about the balance between PLO8 knowledge & regular DYM strategy. I'd say if a player has a good grasp of DYM strategy, then once they learn the rules of PLO8, they do just fine. I'd guess the balance between the two is not far off 50-50.

I hope you persevere.     

• edited November 2015
    Yes Tony I was in the pot with you, and it did seem a "newbie" error, unfortunately.
    Having only played PL08 for just over a year, my advice to a new player would be to reg for a few 60p DYM's and learn the hand ranges this way. Plenty of good guides on the internet too, particularly reference starting-hands. Even if you lose a couple of quid early on playing the chaepest buy-ins, the knowledge base and "feel" you will build up will stand you in good stead in the longer-term. Also note-taking on your opponents is vital. The major difference between PL08 and NLHE, in my opinion, is mental strength. IF getting aces cracked in NLHE makes you tilt, maybe PL08 is not for you. However the help offered to new players and the banter at the tables at PL08 is unparrelled.

• edited November 2015

Good Post Andrew.

Mental strength? Well yes, if having aces cracked is gonna tilt you, don't ever play PLO or PLO8. IN NLH, pre-flop & heads up, Aces are generally 80% to win. In PLO, much much less, & in PLO8, even less to scoop. I should add that I was in fearful form last night (luck wise) & busted aces time after time. Poor old 67Bhoys was agog at my run good, & quite right too, it was embarrassing. 

It was not until I finished my session & totted up that I realised that of the 17 I played @ £3.30, I had won 16. That's proper run good. Sadly, but inevitably, it was not the case at £5.50 & £11, far from it. It's a strange night when I can lose from from 6 @ £11 & still turn a £15 profit in a 30 game session. Was a bit cross with myself in the £11ers, just kept making silly ill-disciplined & lazy mistakes. And I paid the bill. 

We get so many beautiful hands, though, sets & full houses galore, nut lows etc, that's the beauty of 4 cards. You can play NLL all night & barely make a handful of sets, they are ten a penny in Omaha.

• edited November 2015

Just a few more bits & bobs for yuranasset, which may or may not help.

Some of these are a SOTBO's, but you never know, one or two may help. These are all imo, of course.

There is ALWAYS a "high", every single hand. There is often a low.

Don't over value good low hands. 4 handed, with big blinds, it's fine to shove with a good low, but not so fine to call with it. When we shove, if we only get called, say, 50% of the time, it means we have much greater equity. 

Look for balanced hands - meaning hands like A-K-Q-2, those sort of jobbies. These, 4 handed with big blinds, are very strong indeed. Much much stronger than, say, A-2-4-4. However, in Levels 1 to 4, I generally don't even see a flop with those hands unless a) it's cheap & b) I have a suited ace, &, ideally, another suit too.

Try to be pro-active instead of reactive. If we have (again, 4 handed, big blinds) A-K-Q-2, & are FIRST TO ACT, it's always going in. But if someone raises first, & assuming I have a playable stack, I'm folding. I would rather shove with a weaker hand than call with the stronger hand, as we are never far ahead. The value comes from forcing folds, of course. I want uncontested pots, ideally. I never lose those.  The others can fight each other, I don't mind, I want to be billy pickpocket, nicking the dead money & not being exposed to the risk of an outdraw or better hand. 

And finally.....     
  • edited November 2015

In PLO8, an ace is ridiculously strong, & important, because it plays TWICE, once for the low, & once for the high.

It's as if we have 5 cards in our hand, & those who take us on without an ace only have 4 cards.

4 handed (the only part of a DYM that matters to me), with equal stacks, I'm getting it in with ANY good balanced hand. i.e.,.....

Combos of A-K-Q-J-2-3, two from the top, two from the bottom, though of course the Ace plays twice.

4 handed, equal stacks, at 150-300 & above, I'm never entering a pot without an ace. K-K or Q-Q etc with no low plays dreadfully, you'll be lucky to even chop.

Oh, & one more. 

If we raise with bad aces (high only), & the flop comes all low, just give it up if strength is shown by villain. We CANNOT win this coup, only chop it at best. We never want to risk our stack to chop.

All imo of course. I should add that I'm ridiculously nitty.   

• edited November 2015

Doubt she will see this, but a quick shout out to MOTHER, aka Amarie, who we have not seen on the PLO8 tables lately. I've sent her a message on Twitter via JamieLouise, who is her degenerate daughter, to say we miss her. Not much, mind. 

I think she has been playing NLH DYM's. Pity those NLH boys.

If we could get MacacTalk to do the same, the PLO8 world would be more peaceful imo, last night it was all crimble natter & nonsense.  

• edited November 2015

I have a bit of an uphill battle beating Hotwheals in the DYM's, for the very logical reason he's a good deal better than I am, but I don't table select, so just have to deal with it.

So I was pretty pleased to trap him all ends up last night with my excellent two way Aces, & he was in a world of hurt with his A-K-poo-poo. 

GOTCHA

Flop?

K-K-K.

Outrageous.  

• edited November 2015
    I have a bit of an uphill battle beating Hotwheals in the DYM's, for the very logical reason he's a good deal better than I am, but I don't table select, so just have to deal with it. So I was pretty pleased to trap him all ends up last night with my excellent two way Aces, & he was in a world of hurt with his A-K-poo-poo.  GOTCHA Flop? K-K-K.   Outrageous.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Skill ;)
  • edited November 2015
    I have a bit of an uphill battle beating Hotwheals in the DYM's, for the very logical reason he's a good deal better than I am, but I don't table select, so just have to deal with it. So I was pretty pleased to trap him all ends up last night with my excellent two way Aces, & he was in a world of hurt with his A-K-poo-poo.  GOTCHA Flop? K-K-K.   Outrageous.    
    Posted by Tikay10

Your complaining about getting outdrawn?

Now thats outrageous.

• edited November 2015
    Doubt she will see this, but a quick shout out to MOTHER, aka Amarie, who we have not seen on the PLO8 tables lately. I've sent her a message on Twitter via JamieLouise, who is her degenerate daughter, to say we miss her. Not much, mind.  I think she has been playing NLH DYM's. Pity those NLH boys. If we could get MacacTalk to do the same, the PLO8 world would be more peaceful imo, last night it was all crimble natter & nonsense.     
    Posted by Tikay10
    Had the pleasure of playing Amarie in the UKPC sat the other day, we ended up HU and unfortunately I won :( (why the sad face because it was a tight battle and a good game, wish the both of us could have gone through)  after an epic battle between the both of us. Much respect to Amarie.
  • edited November 2015

Well her Ladyship Amarie graced us with her presence us last night for one game, & along with Macac-Talk-A-Lot managed to finish 1st & 2nd, with me going busto in 4th to their evident delight judging by the girlie squeals of delight.

She can go back to the NLH & stay there now as far as I'm concerned.

Even The Daughter joined in the heckling.

Guess I have to say, before the usual trolls get excited, that Amarie, The Daughter, The Father & The Uncle are not just poker acquaintances of mine, as so many are, but they are real friends. I still don't like them though, I just can't be doing with Yorkshire folk.  

• edited November 2015
    Well her Ladyship Amarie graced us with her presence us last night for one game, & along with Macac-Talk-A-Lot managed to finish 1st & 2nd, with me going busto in 4th to their evident delight judging by the girlie squeals of delight.   She can go back to the NLH & stay there now as far as I'm concerned.   Even The Daughter joined in the heckling.   Guess I have to say, before the usual trolls get excited, that Amarie, The Daughter, The Father & The Uncle are not just poker acquaintances of mine, as so many are, but they are real friends. I still don't like them though, I just can't be doing with Yorkshire folk.    
    Posted by Tikay10

I bet it's been years since you heard that.
  • edited November 2015

Daily occurrence dear, twice daily on occasion.

Which reminds me, as you were on the table, did you see that utterly inexplicable hand last night? (Follows....)

• edited November 2015

We are 4 handed, all about level.

Geezer to my left is a bit aggro, & known to call a bit wide at times, but he's not a nutjob by any means, & does OK.

We are about Level 9, 300-600. 

I have played EXACTLY 2 hands so far. Two hands in 9 levels. I've got no stack pressure, I'm cruising to the money.

The pot has not been opened, I find a lovely hand & pot it. Game over. Except he re-pots it. I can't really fold here, I only have about 2 Bigs behind. I call. 

What do you think his range here is? Aces, or an A-K-2 combo at worst, right?

He shows up with 7-7-8-9. 

How can you explain that? Not the world's worst play at PLO I suppose, but at PLO8?

Every night, we see these inexplicable things, & I'm still trying to figure what his thought process was. Why would a decent player - & he is decent - ever do such a thing, & set fire to a fiver?  

• edited November 2015

A good player should be able to achieve 60% in these things, but I struggle, every week, & usually come up with 58% or 59%.

I've clocked up 150 games this week so far (5 x 30) & have won 90, which is exactly 60%.

You just know I'm gonna have a shocker this weekend.....

I'm struggling to reach 1,000 points, I've got 666 so far, so need to average 167 today & tomorrow. The weather is real bad, so should be plenty of action.

What price I make the 1,000 points & drop down to 57%?

Must say, the games have been great this week. Despite the magic 60% (so far) I've not made much profit as I've done badly in the £11 games (just 50%) despite winning 4 from 5 last night. I suppose it's all variance & sample size.

Loving the game, loving it to bits.

• edited November 2015
    Blame
    A) Alcohol
    B) E Numbers
    C) Blond Moment

I got knocked out or crippled by 7,8,9,10 and 2,3,9,K last night. Both cases all-in pre-flop. Some people will just not fold.

I've got them there players on my RADAR, they need a damn fine Rembrandting!
  • edited November 2015
    Hi all, was great to join you for a quick game last night, sorry i have been away for so long and neglecting poor Mr K, but with the change in the points payments I started playing the £5.50 turbo dym as a way to boost points and get a £5 weekly bonus,(I find it difficult to play more than 1 game at a time), but i kinda fell in love with the turbo's, they are similar to how I like my men..fast and furious (lol). I will continue with my endeavours with the fast and furious, but will also join the ploppers in the evening, so see you later

Mother

BTW that newbie was pretty aggressive last night!
  • edited November 2015
    sometimes, just hanging in there and waiting for other people to implode, works a treat eh Tony.
    An £11er 2all ins in the 2nd hand followed by 3 all ins the next hand. 4 handed a few hands later.
    The money came to the PLO8 guru later in the game when he was looking a tad strapped for cash, but crucially, still alive and kicking.
    Nicely played
  • edited November 2015
    Hi all, was great to join you for a quick game last night, sorry i have been away for so long and neglecting poor Mr K, but with the change in the points payments I started playing the £5.50 turbo dym as a way to boost points and get a £5 weekly bonus,(I find it difficult to play more than 1 game at a time), but i kinda fell in love with the turbo's, they are similar to how I like my men..fast and furious (lol). I will continue with my endeavours with the fast and furious, but will also join the ploppers in the evening, so see you later Mother BTW that newbie was pretty aggressive last night!
    Posted by Amarie
    Was great to see you again on the PLO8 tables Mother.

You joined us for 1 game on both Friday & Saturday, that's all it needs, its just fun to tangle now & then.

Can fully understand who you moved across to the NLH Turbos, it must really help rack up the points quicker.

As PLO8 DYM's, we have to play a lot of games to make 500 or 1,000 points, as they take so long.

Maybe see you again tonight - hope so.

• edited November 2015
    Blame A) Alcohol B) E Numbers C) Blond Moment I got knocked out or crippled by 7,8,9,10 and 2,3,9,K last night. Both cases all-in pre-flop. Some people will just not fold. I've got them there players on my RADAR, they need a damn fine Rembrandting!
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Macac had us in stitches last night.

Mr Mac had told her he "won a few bob" betting on the football, but she was suspicious. So she asked us how much we thought he had won - his bet was as follows

Depay FGS for Man U

Man U to win

Vardy FGS for Leicester

Leicester to win.

Well of course we never knew the stake, but that's a tidy bet by any standards.

He claimed a few hundred quid - I suggested a few grand.

Rumour has it he won a lot more than that, so now we might just see Mr & Mrs Mac at the UKPC.

Happy Days.

Can't begin to imagine Mother & Maca sharing a table at UKPC with the Serious Heads. Oh joy of joy.
  • edited November 2015
    sometimes, just hanging in there and waiting for other people to implode, works a treat eh Tony. An £11er 2all ins in the 2nd hand followed by 3 all ins the next hand. 4 handed a few hands later. The money came to the PLO8 guru later in the game when he was looking a tad strapped for cash, but crucially, still alive and kicking. Nicely played
    Posted by pompeynic
    What a weird one that was Nick, eh?

The winner usually plays a lot smaller - £1 & £3, suddenly plonks himself down at an £11 table, triples up first hand in comical fashion, & the game was all over in about 15 minutes.

When someone triples up early - very rare - it completely changes the game dynamic. So yes, as you say, sometimes it pays to sit quiet, hang around, do nothing, & see what develops. I don't even know how it ended, I was busy on other tables & the box flashed up "Congratulations"......

Often, when someone gets half the chips early, they mess about in every pot, but as it happened, he played properly & did not offer much resistance on the rare occasions I bet into him. 

Good to see you running a bit better now - think you won an £11er a few night ago, too?

Is your health stable now, you all ok? 

• edited November 2015
    The stake was £200
    By all accounts he talked the eldest into sharing the bet.
    I'm going to let the eldest explain his thought process for a good three minutes, then I'll spend two hours explaining why as a husband and a father of a baby, he's a pr@ for gambling £100.
    Once verbally downbeaten and ready to submit to anything, I'll then make him promise he'll never gamble more than £25 again.
    Mr Mac has already conceded defeat and promised he won't be betting any more than £25 again. He didn't have much choice. I told him that was happening or if he did it again I'd wake him up with an electric hand blender in one hand and his danglers in the other.
    I've allowed them their stake (nice ain't I?) back, but all winnings will be in Grandson's saving account,a s soon as funds clear.

We talked about the UKPC last week actually. As I said last night, depends on flights back to Corfu. If we can fly we will, but if we can't, we'll be playing for sure.  Mr Mac fancies himself as a bit of a Maverick, when in reality when he bluffs he goes all twitchy like, so it'll be fun.
  • edited November 2015
    The stake was £200 By all accounts he talked the eldest into sharing the bet. I'm going to let the eldest explain his thought process for a good three minutes, then I'll spend two hours explaining why as a husband and a father of a baby, he's a pr@ for gambling £100. Once verbally downbeaten and ready to submit to anything, I'll then make him promise he'll never gamble more than £25 again. Mr Mac has already conceded defeat and promised he won't be betting any more than £25 again. He didn't have much choice. I told him that was happening or if he did it again I'd wake him up with an electric hand blender in one hand and his danglers in the other. I've allowed them their stake (nice ain't I?) back, but all winnings will be in Grandson's saving account,a s soon as funds clear. We talked about the UKPC last week actually. As I said last night, depends on flights back to Corfu. If we can fly we will, but if we can't, we'll be playing for sure.  Mr Mac fancies himself as a bit of a Maverick, when in reality when he bluffs he goes all twitchy like, so it'll be fun.
    Posted by Macacgirl1

Ha, awesome story.

The stake was TWO HUNDRED QUID?

Wowzer, the win must have been many thousands. WP, WP

Mr Mac is my hero.

PS - when we share tables, any chance you could talk less, all this "food this, Christmas the other" gets right on my nerves. TIA.