You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited October 2015
    You'll need to go deeper guys!
  • edited October 2015
    Something to do with the artificial reef?
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Something to do with the artificial reef?
    Posted by pompeynic
    Getting warmer

Mind you i wouldn't earn much as its a complete flop - never worked.
  • edited October 2015
    Underwater systems?
  • edited October 2015
    There were some curious ranges and tactics in play again last night on the plo8 tables.

Sometimes hard to combat the call wide brigade especially when you pot for say 700 out of an 1800 stack and get called by Mr big with 5k chips and an unwavering interest in a flop in the 5-10 range.

Overall they are of course making mistakes and its long term profit but short term we can go on some horrednous streaks.

As per Vespa's comments about taking them on early or not - I do try and get in cheap with them with position (and decent nut making combos, if not always premiums early doors).

Mid stages try and avoid them if I can.

Late stages try and get in with a solid range and keep the fingers crossed - just remember there isn't such a thing as fold equity with some of these players.
  • edited October 2015
    Underwater systems?
    Posted by Phantom66
    Close
    It's a diving company who do underwater repairs to bridges,piers,pools,etc.
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Close It's a diving company who do underwater repairs to bridges,piers,pools,etc.
    Posted by VespaPX
    aha bridges - that explains why tikay was getting excited about it.

Best of luck with the new job.
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : aha bridges - that explains why tikay was getting excited about it. Best of luck with the new job.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Cheers mate
  • edited October 2015
    A Gold digger? ;)
  • edited October 2015

As many of the PLO8 DYM crew read this thread - well, at least 2 of them - I thought I'd share some interesting news about a fellow Plopper.

One of the 9 players who won a Punta Cana package on Sunday night was "bigbob57".

He's a regular in the £2 & £3 PLO8 DYM's, plays 4 or 5 of them most nights. Must be a great thrill for him.

I tried to congratulate him in the chat box last night, but he never responded. (Never seen him chat).
    If you share a table with him any night, give him a big kiss please.

And now the Ploppers have one of their own to cheer on in the Punta Cana thing.
  • edited October 2015
    There are a few plopper derbies in round 2 of the HU Cup so at least there are some guaranteed ploppers in round 3 even if you blow your match Tikay.

I have a very specific note on bob. I have never seen him chat either. Would love to pm him and ask him about it.
  • edited October 2015
    Hi tikay, I'm good for a match after 9pm most evenings or 10am until 2pm every day

Says snuffer on the HU call out thread. 

• edited October 2015

What WAS he thinking?

You must all have experienced it 1,000 times, when a player does something quite inexplicable.

If we get beat, we chunter to ourselves, but either way, that thought always hits is - "what WAS he thinking?"

And it happens every night, that play that we just can't fathom. 

Earlier this week, 4 of us left in a DYM. I have 5,000, Matey Boy has 4,000, two shorties, one has 2,000, one has 1,000. Blinds are 200-400. This is as good as won for two of us, the third spot is a coin toss between the two shorties. 

2,000 chip man, inexplicably, limps. I've got really good Aces, double suited & with a deuce. Lovely.

I pot it, that will just about set him all in in he wants to go to war.

And now the strangest thing happens. The other big stack, without having invested a single chip in the pot so far, & playing 4,000, repots it, all-in.

The other two, including Mr Limp with 5 Bigs (4 now....), both fold.

Now of course, really, I ought to fold here. My win is assured, I'm 99.9% certain to win this. But I'm not really concentrating, so I get it in, (a technical error), my man calls the rest, & it's on their backs. 

His hand?

J-4-4-3

He's not a PLO8 Newbie, either, he has played hundreds of PLO8 DYM's.

Explain that.     
  • edited October 2015
    Obviously should be the easiest fold ever. You have committed to taking on a s/stack and even if shorties fold that's another BB gone.

If it was Macacgirl then I would expect a spite raise with any 4.

Otherwise?

Missclick - or fully expecting you to fold (which you admit you should have) but even that doesn't justify it to me.

• edited October 2015

He thought it was a bounty.

The kudos in taking you out the game.

Got more money than sense.

He misread his hand.

You lost a hand. Move on. Hope all diaries on here are not going to turn into moaning woaning moaning things.

Have a latté. ;)
  • edited October 2015
    He thought it was a bounty. The kudos in taking you out the game. Got more money than sense. He misread his hand. You lost a hand. Move on. Hope all diaries on here are not going to turn into moaning woaning moaning things. Have a latté. ;)
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Not at all - I won the hand & in doing so, bust Matey Boy.

I was just bemused why the guy would throw away his almost certain win when he never had a chip invested.

• edited October 2015
    Brain freeze, loss of concentration, trust me, I suffer from this and it is really frustrating after the event.
    Made all the more when you do it against the PLO8 guru who ALWAYS HAS IT.
  • edited October 2015
    Obviously should be the easiest fold ever. You have committed to taking on a s/stack and even if shorties fold that's another BB gone. If it was Macacgirl then I would expect a spite raise with any 4. Otherwise? Missclick - or fully expecting you to fold (which you admit you should have) but even that doesn't justify it to me.
    Posted by Phantom66

When have you EVER known Tikay to fold pre after potting?  ;-)

More likely to see him discuss cooking over differing brick composition....

No idea why he/she would repot with that, crazy.

Edit *just seen above ^^ it happens to me lots too nic :-)
  • edited October 2015

By the way it was not me this time.

• edited October 2015
    Brain freeze, loss of concentration, trust me, I suffer from this and it is really frustrating after the event. Made all the more when you do it against the PLO8 guru who ALWAYS HAS IT.
    Posted by pompeynic
    Ha, yes, we have all done it. But J-4-3-3, surely the instant that's dealt, you insta-muck without a moments thought?

PLO8 Guru - PLO8 nit, more like. My re-potting range is very narrow, so if I re-pot, I have a pretty good hand.........obviously, if I'm short of chips at the sharp end, my range widens a bit, but the subtle difference is I only do so in unraised, pots. If someone opens first, almost every hand goes in the bin. 

Love playing 4 handed with big blinds, now I really DO play a wide range at that stage, & often pot 4 or 5 in a row. Then go back to sleep.  
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Not at all - I won the hand & in doing so, bust Matey Boy. I was just bemused why the guy would throw away his almost certain win when he never had a chip invested.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    So the whole post was an elaborate way to brag that you won a DYM?
  • edited October 2015
    By the way it was not me this time.
    Posted by pompeynic
    Ha, definitely not - you'd never see a flop with poo like that.

When I go to war against another player, my first thought is "what is his likely range, & am I beating that?"

What did he think I had that J-4-4-3 beats?

Some guys ranges are so good that I almost never take them on voluntarily, unless I am super strong. Eon, Ger, Alexis, Denise (very good indeed), MOTHER (yup, MOTHER), you & a good few others, they all have excellent understanding of ranges.

I'm always looking for J-4-4-3 man, me.

• edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : So the whole post was an elaborate way to brag that you won a DYM?
    Posted by MattBates
    Got me.
  • edited October 2015
    Not sure I understand the positions here.

If 2k has open limped and you have potted how has matey boy not invested a chip? they are the SB I assume (not that it makes much difference - although if 1k bloke is on the BB it certainly should be important. Matey boy could fold and see a good chance of a shortie busting or 2 shorties take a BB hit down to 4 and 1.5BBs and both be in the blinds next hand.

@Hendrik - Situationally given the stacks (4BB and 1.5BB behind for the shorties) even with a premium hand Tikay should fold there to a repot - would cash more times folding than calling I would venture (assuming we don't know repotter is doing this with J443) which should always be the main decision making criteria on a bubble.

Yup generally if potting late stages Tikay is calling a repot but we all know his range is rightly wider on the bubble with big blinds and if he has enough chips behind relative to any shorties he will pot/fold too.

So much more than our own hand ranges behind these decisions on the bubble when blinds are big. Relative stackssizes and any notes we have on how other players adjust their calling ranges etc.

I cant really stand NL dyms but with PLO8 the hi/lo dynamic and the Pot Limit makes these variants so much more interesting/enjoyable.
  • edited October 2015

Phantom is correct - J-4-4-3 man was in the SB, so had invested 200 (5%, or one--twentieth) of his stack.

Makes no real difference though. ;)

Love poker, so many questions we can't answer, even the serious heads cant explain some of these things.
  • edited October 2015
    Good afternoon Sir Tikay.
    Sorry to intrude on your thread, but was wondering if you are not busy this afternoon, would you be available to play the £2.20 @2.20 deepstack.
    All the best.
    Rainman397.
    P.S HAS ANYONE MENTIONED THE £2.20 @ 2.20 DEEPSTACK YET
  • edited October 2015
    Good afternoon Sir Tikay. Sorry to intrude on your thread, but was wondering if you are not busy this afternoon, would you be available to play the £2.20 @2.20 deepstack. All the best. Rainman397. P.S HAS ANYONE MENTIONED THE £2.20 @ 2.20 DEEPSTACK YET
    Posted by rainman397
    Sorry Mr Rainman, missed that Post, been down the gym since 2pm.
  • edited October 2015
    What WAS he thinking? You must all have experienced it 1,000 times, when a player does something quite inexplicable. If we get beat, we chunter to ourselves, but either way, that thought always hits is - " what WAS he thinking?" And it happens every night, that play that we just can't fathom.  Earlier this week, 4 of us left in a DYM. I have 5,000, Matey Boy has 4,000, two shorties, one has 2,000, one has 1,000. Blinds are 200-400. This is as good as won for two of us, the third spot is a coin toss between the two shorties.  2,000 chip man, inexplicably, limps. I've got really good Aces, double suited & with a deuce. Lovely.   I pot it, that will just about set him all in in he wants to go to war. And now the strangest thing happens. The other big stack, without having invested a single chip in the pot so far, & playing 4,000, repots it, all-in.   The other two, including Mr Limp with 5 Bigs (4 now....), both fold.   Now of course, really, I ought to fold here. My win is assured, I'm 99.9% certain to win this. But I'm not really concentrating, so I get it in, (a technical error), my man calls the rest, & it's on their backs.  His hand? J-4-4-3 He's not a PLO8 Newbie, either, he has played hundreds of PLO8 DYM's.   Explain that.     
    Posted by Tikay10
    Just a long winded way of showing that you can win a pot with the best hand pre. I know I can't , what's your secret?
  • edited October 2015

^^^^

Feel for you, tuney, know you've had a tough week.

Hang in there, it'll turn.
  • edited October 2015
    ^^^^ Feel for you, tuney, know you've had a tough week. Hang in there, it'll turn.
    Posted by Tikay10

His week got worse in FOSP last night, suffered some cruel beats, but took em all in his stride, as you would expect.

But, as you rightly say, will turn.

PS.  Any plans for you to play the FOSP 1 week, good fun, plenty of banter. Sky could even offer a bounty on your head which I am sure would bump the figures up. Bounty needn't be too expensive, say, free entry into the following week's tourney.