You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Im not saying the standard is great but there is no doubt its tough to win at these and there certainly are some good players. Im available for coaching should you want any Tikay, lmao....only kidding. Do you think you should take more chances early on perhaps? Is it high priority to get the chips from a weaker player before someone else does? Im not qualified to give you proper advice but I wonder do you ammend you approach depending on your opponent? Ger
    Posted by gerardirl
    YES!

(Nuff said)
    xxx
  • edited September 2015

^^^

Guilty, M'Lady.

I'll reply to Ger's interesting question later. In short, for now, it's all table & opponent specific.

First up, I have some wounds to lick - them Ploppers beat me up a treat last night, including 4 @ £11, of which I won approximately......nil.

A £52 loss on the night (how much?) means I now need to play 200 games (= 7 sessions) at standard variance to get back to where I was before last night.

What a great game poker is, the way it toys with us.

• edited October 2015

Quick update, ahead of the weekend.

I'm setting fire to money at the moment - a £35 loss last week, & this week (so far....) I'm the best part of £60 down.

To the Big Boys, there are mere surface wounds, but as I play a low variance game, with an average buy in of about £4.50, that is a big loss & will take some pulling back.

I average north of 58% of games won over a 9,000 game sample, but twice this week, in 30 game sessions, I've only won 12 from 30, which is 40%. 

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or its just a touch of run-bad. When we start losing, we blame all sorts - bad play by others, variance, the weather, but usually, its a combo of all those things, plus one more - we are not playing as well as we should.     

I can't put my finger on the problem, & I am deffo not blaming anyone else for so-called "bad play", it's just something I need to work through.

I can think of a few mistakes this week. On one night, TWICE, I was typing a reply in the chat box to a question, & in doing so, I was inadvertently typing a bet into another table.....of course, then I find I've committed 70% of my stack with complete rubbish, but I can't fold now.

I did a sort of semi-squeeze on Wednesday, Blinds 150-300, still 6 of us left, & FOUR limps before it gets to me. I had A-J-9-2 - not great, but not terrible, but the lure of all that dead money in the middle was too much to resist, so I potted it. They all fold......except the last bloke, who called. Now he may have sussed I was on the squeeze, fair enough, but my hand is not terrible, it's got something at both ends, so if he looks me up, fair enough. His hand? 2-2-3-J. Yikes.
      I lost an £11 game when we got the lot in pre, & Matey Boy turned up with the old 7-7-6-6.

These are the plays we love to see, & they do get lucky now & then, but we want them to keep turning up with such hands. Variance just seems to mean that they get lucky in "bunches".

Anyway, I do like a bit of uphill & into the wind, so I'll be giving it a good shot at reducing this week's losses tonight, & over the weekend, & I'm as eager to play as ever. Love the game, the challenge. 

Been good fun on the tables this week, too. Our Resident troll turned up last night, but everyone has got him sussed know, & yank his chain without him even realising it. It's an absolute pleasure to observe.

Enjoy your weekend, whatever your plans. Some great sport on TV, England v Australia in the RWC, Arsenal v Man U, NFL from Wembley, & the Arc on Sunday. Don't get much better than that. We live in stunningly good times, eh?               

• edited October 2015
    Stupid game sometimes.
    I'd have loved 12/30 the other night. I managed 8/27 which is actually pretty hard to do.
    You'll get it back quickly enough.
  • edited October 2015
    Couple of things i've noticed recently:

1. Games seen to run to higher levels with still 5 left in.

2. A lot of flat calling when someone pots it, (can't get my head around this esp at higher levels).

I'm on a similar downswing at the moment, but as i said in my earlier post i may be distracted and not playing my A game.

Catch you later.
  • edited October 2015

Thanks Paul & Mick. 

Last night it all flip-flopped the other way, won 21 from 30 (70%) & clawed back £40 of the week's £60 loss, so I still have a shot going into the weekend. 

Really enjoyable session, I felt like Dr Dre, dishing out the beats, oh yeah.

• edited October 2015
    Thanks Paul & Mick.  Last night it all flip-flopped the other way, won 21 from 30 (70%) & clawed back £40 of the week's £60 loss, so I still have a shot going into the weekend.  Really enjoyable session, I felt like Dr Dre, dishing out the beats, oh yeah.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Better night for me too.
    Won 2/3 and £10 in the rewards free roll :-)
  • edited October 2015

oioi, well done Mick.

I did well in the Rewards Freeroll, too - out first hand.
  • edited October 2015

Chippy has had a few better nights, too, after a bit of a tough time, he's got a bit more aggro, which has caught a few by surprise.

We had a new guy last night, never seen him in the PLO8 games before, & he just battered the table. I looked him up, he only plays NLH Turbo Heads Up stuff usually, & he has a 20% ROI over 5,000 games, sheesh. (Wont name him, that'd be unfair). 

Anyway, he was stop & go-ing everyone, also limping in late position every hand, & betting when it was checked to him. Every hand. 

So I took him on a few times, just 4 bet him (he insta-folded each time) got myself nice & safe (3,500 chips) then sat out & watched him clean out the others. Awesome to watch, he ended with 7,000 chips. Played 2, won 2. Very nice.

We also had a game where some kid had 8,000 chips (4 handed)........and failed to cash. Incred.

• edited October 2015
    Chippy has had a few better nights, too, after a bit of a tough time, he's got a bit more aggro, which has caught a few by surprise. We had a new guy last night, never seen him in the PLO8 games before, & he just battered the table. I looked him up, he only plays NLH Turbo Heads Up stuff usually, & he has a 20% ROI over 5,000 games, sheesh. (Wont name him, that'd be unfair).  Anyway, he was stop & go-ing everyone, also limping in late position every hand, & betting when it was checked to him. Every hand.  So I took him on a few times, just 4 bet him (he insta-folded each time) got myself nice & safe (3,500 chips) then sat out & watched him clean out the others. Awesome to watch, he ended with 7,000 chips. Played 2, won 2. Very nice.   We also had a game where some kid had 8,000 chips (4 handed)........and failed to cash. Incred.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Gotta love pl08 even I get lucky in that. Ask mick and AJ. Not played for a while though. Well done Tikay
  • edited October 2015
    Been a bit of a battle for me recently too. I don't know if my mind has been elsewhere lately, as I have recently been looking for a full time job. Got an email on Friday morning to attend an interview at 1pm (short notice) ! Anyway I attended the interview , which lasted for an hour and a half. To put things in perspective this was only my 2nd job interview in 25 years having spent that time in my last company. Got the confirmation email Friday night that I had been offered the job!!! Start on Oct 5th gl me. Lots of learning to be done as its a completely different industry, so poker may take a back seat for a while.
    Posted by VespaPX
    Great news Vespa, top work. I am sure the fact you got there on such short notice told the company a fair bit about you!

• edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Great news Vespa, top work. I am sure the fact you got there on such short notice told the company a fair bit about you!
    Posted by MattBates
    Cheers Matt
  • edited October 2015
    Thanks Paul & Mick.  Last night it all flip-flopped the other way, won 21 from 30 (70%) & clawed back £40 of the week's £60 loss, so I still have a shot going into the weekend.  Really enjoyable session, I felt like Dr Dre, dishing out the beats, oh yeah.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    I believe the kids call it moaning in a win!
  • edited October 2015
    Well done Vespa, wishing you all the luck in your new job. :D
  • edited October 2015
    Well done Vespa, wishing you all the luck in your new job. :D
    Posted by Darkangel7
    Cheers xx
  • edited October 2015
    Good luck with the new job Mick I know how daunting it is, but give it 4-6 weeks and you be fine.

Good luck with the pokerz aswell :)

Kags
  • edited October 2015

Quick Quiz

Can anyone name what type of business Vespa is going to work for?

Only one clue - it's in Bournemouth.
  • edited October 2015
    Quick Quiz Can anyone name what type of business Vespa is going to work for? Only one clue - it's in Bournemouth.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Retirement home?
  • edited October 2015
    Stupid game sometimes. I'd have loved 12/30 the other night. I managed 8/27 which is actually pretty hard to do. You'll get it back quickly enough.
    Posted by Jac35
    For once, you were right.

£66 down after Thursday's session, am now a fiver up after two cracking sessions.

Friday, won 21 from 30 (70%), & last night, 12 from 15 (80%), to get myself out of this week's hole, with one day (today) remaining.

Now watch me drop £30 or £40 today.......
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Retirement home?
    Posted by Snuffer
    ...is the obvious answer.

But INCORRECT.
  • edited October 2015

I managed to  lose a hand last night (we both had playable stacks, all-in pre-flop) to a chap who had this hand......

Q-3-3-3
  • edited October 2015
      I managed to  lose a hand last night (we both had playable stacks, all-in pre-flop) to a chap who had this hand...... Q-3-3-3
    Posted by Tikay10
    Was Jod playing last night? :-)
  • edited October 2015
    Quick Quiz Can anyone name what type of business Vespa is going to work for? Only one clue - it's in Bournemouth.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I am guessing Insurance
    Nick
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I am guessing Insurance Nick
    Posted by pompeynic
    Good guess as there are lots of insurance companies down here.
    But alas you're not even close.
  • edited October 2015
    Is it chief checker of pavement strength with ones head?
  • edited October 2015
    Posted by Tikay10
    Poker room supervisor

• edited October 2015
    Posted by Tikay10
    Restaurant?
  • edited October 2015
    Manfacturer of precision tools?
  • edited October 2015
    Posted by Tikay10
    social worker
  • edited October 2015
    Tattoo artist?