You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? :   His week got worse in FOSP last night, suffered some cruel beats, but took em all in his stride, as you would expect.   But, as you rightly say, will turn.   PS.  Any plans for you to play the FOSP 1 week, good fun, plenty of banter. Sky could even offer a bounty on your head which I am sure would bump the figures up. Bounty needn't be too expensive, say, free entry into the following week's tourney.
    Posted by pomfrittes
    +1

I think it would deferentially boost figures, and a great incentive 
    for players to take you on. (as if i wasn't enough, already)
    Plus there's an added incentive for you, you'll need the MTT practise.
    for when you play the plo8 UKOPS.

All the big sky plo8 players play the Thursday league tourneys. 
    This would be a great chance, for you  to take notes on these players.
    Which in turn, would help you to cruse into second place in the UKOPS event (obv's i'll take it down)

So if you are free, Thursday the 15th October 
    come and join us ploppers (sort it out Sky Dan)

Regards Alan (future plo8 ukops champ) 

• edited October 2015

Pommy & AJ.

Yes, I'll give it a whirl, but it can't be next Thursday (15th) as I won't be playing Thursday/Friday/Saturday next week, as I have company. 

Saturday is the 10k Richmond Run. Can't miss that.

• edited October 2015
    What time are you aiming for in the 10k Tikay?

I got beaten up last night, think we clashed a few times and I definitely ran terribly in those.

I also made a couple of clear mistakes - not quite on A game - multi-tabling and chatting.

I am going to post some hands up on the strategy thread later - be good to get some PLO8 discussions going there again.

I wont bother with the I was ahead and got outdrawn stuff, or coolered, just the 2/3 where I am not sure myself whether I did the right thing.

• edited October 2015
    What time are you aiming for in the 10k Tikay? I got beaten up last night, think we clashed a few times and I definitely ran terribly in those. I also made a couple of clear mistakes - not quite on A game - multi-tabling and chatting. I am going to post some hands up on the strategy thread later - be good to get some PLO8 discussions going there again. I wont bother with the I was ahead and got outdrawn stuff, or coolered, just the 2/3 where I am not sure myself whether I did the right thing.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Me? Me run 10k? Are you serious? No no, its Gill - her first ever "organised" run. Much excitement, I can tell you.

I'm her Coach, oh yes, and I don't want her to be bothered about pace, or where she finishes - just competing makes her a winner for me. I've got her a little trophy already, it will a nice surprise for her, & it says "WINNER"  on it. To me, just doing it makes her a winner. She had never jogged, or done any meaningful physical exercise, until 3 months ago.  

She does 6.6 miles in an hour & forty usually, but as long as she does  her best, I'm not fussed if she finishes stone last.

She has some gadget that records her data when she jogs, here's a recent example, this was Hampton Court to Kempton racecourse & back.

Created by Google My Tracks on Android
    Name: 26/09/2015 09:48
    Activity type: jogging
    Description: -
    Total distance: 10.55 km (6.6 mi)
    Total time: 1:40:28
    Moving time: 1:40:24
    Average speed: 6.30 km/h (3.9 mi/h)
    Average moving speed: 6.30 km/h (3.9 mi/h)
    Max speed: 15.30 km/h (9.5 mi/h)
    Average pace: 9:31 min/km (15:20 min/mi)
    Average moving pace: 9:31 min/km (15:19 min/mi)
    Fastest pace: 3:55 min/km (6:19 min/mi)
    Max elevation: 71 m (234 ft)
    Min elevation: 41 m (134 ft)
    Elevation gain: 174 m (570 ft)
    Max grade: 13 %
    Min grade: -14 %
    Recorded: 26/09/2015 09:48
  • edited October 2015
    What time are you aiming for in the 10k Tikay? I got beaten up last night, think we clashed a few times and I definitely ran terribly in those. I also made a couple of clear mistakes - not quite on A game - multi-tabling and chatting. I am going to post some hands up on the strategy thread later - be good to get some PLO8 discussions going there again. I wont bother with the I was ahead and got outdrawn stuff, or coolered, just the 2/3 where I am not sure myself whether I did the right thing.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Yes, I noticed you were having a rough time of it last night, so stick some hands up & we'll have a look at them, see if there are any glaring leaks.

You mention "multi-tabling & chatting". I must say, chatting whilst multi-tabling, or even reading the chat, will DEFINITELY reduce your efficiency & win rate - no question about it. Apart from "hi, & good luck all" or the occasional "oooohhhh" I try to avoid chatting too much, as it means I lose my focus, & when we lose focus, bad things happen if we are trying to play several at the same time.

• edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Me? Me run 10k? Are you serious? No no, its Gill - her first ever "organised" run. Much excitement, I can tell you. I'm her Coach, oh yes, and I don't want her to be bothered about pace, or where she finishes - just competing makes her a winner for me. I've got her a little trophy already, it will a nice surprise for her, & it says "WINNER"  on it. To me, just doing it makes her a winner. She had never jogged, or done any meaningful physical exercise, until 3 months ago.   She does 6.6 miles in an hour & forty usually, but as long as she does  her best, I'm not fussed if she finishes stone last. She has some gadget that records her data when she jogs, here's a recent example, this was Hampton Court to Kempton racecourse & back. Created by Google My Tracks on Android Name: 26/09/2015 09:48 Activity type: jogging Description: - Total distance: 10.55 km (6.6 mi) Total time: 1:40:28 Moving time: 1:40:24 Average speed: 6.30 km/h (3.9 mi/h) Average moving speed: 6.30 km/h (3.9 mi/h) Max speed: 15.30 km/h (9.5 mi/h) Average pace: 9:31 min/km (15:20 min/mi) Average moving pace: 9:31 min/km (15:19 min/mi) Fastest pace: 3:55 min/km (6:19 min/mi) Max elevation: 71 m (234 ft) Min elevation: 41 m (134 ft) Elevation gain: 174 m (570 ft) Max grade: 13 % Min grade: -14 % Recorded: 26/09/2015 09:48
    Posted by Tikay10
    GL Gill

and I thought all those "gym" sessions you have were leading up to something.

Well apart from admire and commend her Tikay - seems you should follow her example.

+13% gradient - she doesn't pick the easy route does she?

PS What is Hampton Court like? Mrs P wants a visit - she is into all the Tudor history.

• edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Yes, I noticed you were having a rough time of it last night, so stick some hands up & we'll have a look at them, see if there are any glaring leaks. You mention "multi-tabling & chatting". I must say, chatting whilst multi-tabling, or even reading the chat, will DEFINITELY reduce your efficiency & win rate - no question about it. Apart from "hi, & good luck all" or the occasional "oooohhhh" I try to avoid chatting too much, as it means I lose my focus, & when we lose focus, bad things happen if we are trying to play several at the same time.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Chatting did have an effect - I think it severely limited my ability to make player specific decisions. Butchered a hand vs bbMike to get quartered early doors for example and took on Vespa defending my bb when he had potted utg - always going to be behind there.

Also repotting you - even though I had the better of the ranges - in a couple of  cases I think I could have just passed - no need to get involved - was not too shallow and had chips - getting it in 5 handed when you don't need to is likely to be -EV.

I'll do some proper homework before posting the hands but i'll signpost them here when they are up.
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : GL Gill and I thought all those "gym" sessions you have were leading up to something. Well apart from admire and commend her Tikay - seems you should follow her example. +13% gradient - she doesn't pick the easy route does she? PS What is Hampton Court like? Mrs P wants a visit - she is into all the Tudor history.
    Posted by Phantom66
    If you only ever do one thing I say, make it this one - take her to Hampton Court Palace. 

It's nothing short of magnificent, & beautifully sited, right alongside the Thames, with Bushy Park & the all it's graceful deer adjoining it. 

They could not build something so beautiful, so grand, so perfectly-scaled, these days.

And 100 yards from the Palace, just across the road - literally - still stands the house in which Sir Christopher Wren lived whilst he was re-building the Palace. It's got one of those blue plaque things.

Henry VIII had dozens of Palaces, but only two remain - Hampton Court, & St James's Palace.

Take the train from Waterloo (every 30 minutes, 45 minute journey), then amble across Hampton Court Bridge to the Palace - it's but 200 yards from the station.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hampton_Court_Palace

• edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Chatting did have an effect - I think it severely limited my ability to make player specific decisions. Butchered a hand vs bbMike to get quartered early doors for example and took on Vespa defending my bb when he had potted utg - always going to be behind there. Also repotting you - even though I had the better of the ranges - in a couple of  cases I think I could have just passed - no need to get involved - was not too shallow and had chips - getting it in 5 handed when you don't need to is likely to be -EV. I'll do some proper homework before posting the hands but i'll signpost them here when they are up.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Well first up, quit the chit chat, it REALLY costs us money, because we are not concentrating properly. I like to chat, don't get me wrong, but it costs money. I was trying to play an £11er as few nights ago, 4 left, really tough table, & there were two players who had not even played it having a convo in the chat box. And it WAS an interesting convo, I could not help but read it, but it deffo affects concentration.

The highlighted part above is the key point you may want to address, imo.  

For better or worse, & until it's 4 handed & we need to get busy, I try to avoid conflict, "let them have it".

I might be dealt, say, A-J-4-3, which is a decent enough hand to open with, but once someone else opens, it's going in the bin. FIRST TO OPEN is key.

Don't go to war with players who have good ranges, where possible, either. Late stages, big blinds & 4 handed of course, it all changes. 

One other point.

4 handed, with big blinds, I'm not folding A-K-2-x to anyone, unless my win is locked already, in which case we just fold. Early doors, though, it's a  MUCH different hand, & I may take a flop if it's cheap, but really, it's not easy to play multi-way with small blinds. It's power is in getting people to fold, & if they do call, we are rarely in terrible shape. So a wonderful hand late von, not so much early doors.

All imo of course, & I should add I'm very risk-averse in these things, give me the easy path every day.     

• edited October 2015
    10k!

I thought i was doing well with my 3k. glgl

Played a few games over the last couple of days for practice in case i decide to play UKOPS. Really enjoyed it just one problem. I have lost all ability to multi-table hilo. One game and i know exactly where i am, 3 tables and i'm clicking buttons. it's amazing what practice, or the lack of it, can do to our abilities. Guess the same may well apply to chat.

(PS can still multi table nlhe no problem, just the hilo where it all goes pear-shaped)
  • edited October 2015
    I have bumped the PLO8 DYM hints/tips/strategy thread with the first of my hands from last night.

This was one where I thought I was doing the right thing but not totally sure.

I'll post a few more - some like this where I am not sure my line was right or wrong, some where I think I was wrong and some where I think I was right.

Better get some poker winnings sorted to take Mrs P to Hampton Court.
  • edited October 2015

^^^^^

I've replied to those.

Mostly, just run-bad really, though maybe we can fold facing the bet on K-6-6.

• edited October 2015
    10k! I thought i was doing well with my 3k. glgl Played a few games over the last couple of days for practice in case i decide to play UKOPS. Really enjoyed it just one problem. I have lost all ability to multi-table hilo. One game and i know exactly where i am, 3 tables and i'm clicking buttons. it's amazing what practice, or the lack of it, can do to our abilities. Guess the same may well apply to chat. (PS can still multi table nlhe no problem, just the hilo where it all goes pear-shaped)
    Posted by GELDY
    If it helps, you are still a proper pain to play against. ;)
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : If it helps, you are still a proper pain to play against. ;)
    Posted by Tikay10
    ta

and I'm sure you'll be pleased to know I'll be a single tabling pain from now on
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : If it helps, you are still a proper pain to play against. ;)
    Posted by Tikay10
    ta

and I'm sure you'll be pleased to know I'll be a single tabling pain from now on
  • edited October 2015
    Thanks for taking the time out on those Tikay (and others). Much appreciated. 3 more up now - you may recognise the "villain" in the first 2.
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Me? Me run 10k? Are you serious? No no, its Gill - her first ever "organised" run. Much excitement, I can tell you. I'm her Coach, oh yes, and I don't want her to be bothered about pace, or where she finishes - just competing makes her a winner for me. I've got her a little trophy already, it will a nice surprise for her, & it says "WINNER"  on it. To me, just doing it makes her a winner. She had never jogged, or done any meaningful physical exercise, until 3 months ago.   She does 6.6 miles in an hour & forty usually, but as long as she does  her best, I'm not fussed if she finishes stone last. She has some gadget that records her data when she jogs, here's a recent example, this was Hampton Court to Kempton racecourse & back. Created by Google My Tracks on Android Name: 26/09/2015 09:48 Activity type: jogging Description: - Total distance: 10.55 km (6.6 mi) Total time: 1:40:28 Moving time: 1:40:24 Average speed: 6.30 km/h (3.9 mi/h) Average moving speed: 6.30 km/h (3.9 mi/h) Max speed: 15.30 km/h (9.5 mi/h) Average pace: 9:31 min/km (15:20 min/mi) Average moving pace: 9:31 min/km (15:19 min/mi) Fastest pace: 3:55 min/km (6:19 min/mi) Max elevation: 71 m (234 ft) Min elevation: 41 m (134 ft) Elevation gain: 174 m (570 ft) Max grade: 13 % Min grade: -14 % Recorded: 26/09/2015 09:48
    Posted by Tikay10
    Whats the difference between last and stone last?

;)
  • edited October 2015
    Same as the difference between the nuts and the stone cold nuts?
  • edited October 2015

I was just perusing the Race to Punta Cana leagues and spotted this.....

21TIKAY11294£40
    You are only about 15,500 behind the leaders for that seat. Crack on ;)
  • edited October 2015
    I was just perusing the Race to Punta Cana leagues and spotted this..... 21 TIKAY1 1294 £40 You are only about 15,500 behind the leaders for that seat. Crack on ;)
    Posted by MAXALLY

LOL, was just about to post this myself. Gotta be up early to beat you Alan.
  • edited October 2015

Ha, I never even knew I was  in it. Is it "just" 21 places paid?

Not much I can do to accelerate though, I play most evenings, & every game that runs at £3.30 & above.

A pal of mine - dooobs - from another place came across last night & regged for the £11ers, usually it's just Eon & I who reg for those, but it made a difference last night, & we got 4 games @ £11, very rare for a midweek evening.

Fingers crossed we get a few tonight, too.
  • edited October 2015

DUCK OR NO DUCK?
  • edited October 2015
      DUCK OR NO DUCK?
    Posted by pomfrittes
    DUCK for me  pomfrittes
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : DUCK for me  pomfrittes
    Posted by spinky6108

OK Spinky, but where would the Duck be?
  • edited October 2015
    Pommy & AJ. Yes, I'll give it a whirl, but it can't be next Thursday (15th) as I won't be playing Thursday/Friday/Saturday next week, as I have company.  Saturday is the 10k Richmond Run. Can't miss that.     
    Posted by Tikay10
    so do tell - a good time was had by one and all i hope. 

(i managed another 3k jog last night, not far i know but it was along the river - so beautiful even at night, and good motivation to do it again)
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : so do tell - a good time was had by one and all i hope.  (i managed another 3k jog last night, not far i know but it was along the river - so beautiful even at night, and good motivation to do it again)
    Posted by GELDY
    It went wonderfully Geldy, & thank you for asking.

It was her first ever "organised" run, & I was determined to do what I could to help make it a memorable occasion, I got her a little engraved trophy & everything.  

She finished the 10k, still full of running (gentle jogging, not running really), & was presented with a Medal, & a Certificate

Think there were 730 runners, & she finished 514th of about 530 finishers, but nearly 200 failed to complete the course. For her first ever "official" run, that's just great.

She managed 4 Personal Bests, too;

Fastest 10k

Longest ever run (jog)

Fastest ever 5k

Fastest ever mile

So, all in all, yeah, a great success, & she was chuffed to bits.

The atmosphere was wonderful, too - everyone wishing each other well, & encouraging each other.

Lovely.

If only poker pros took those lessons on board, & looked after newbies like that, eh?
  • edited October 2015
    That's a great story
    vwp Mr & Mrs T

• edited October 2015
    Lovely story, warms the cockles of my heart. Thanks for sharing it and a huge well done to you both.
  • edited October 2015

I've been a bit remiss with updating my stats. Poker stats don't make interesting reading for anyone except the author, they just don't, but I do like to know where I am, so I'd best stick a few numbers up.

Prior to last week, I've just been ambling along slowly, 2 steps forward, one step back, but not masking much progress.

Last week's numbers will follow in a bit.
  • edited October 2015

Just 4 sessions last week, so a mini-week really.

Monday - P31, W18, L13

Tuesday - P30, W16, L14

Wednesday - P36, W20, L16

Sunday - P30, W20, L10

So 4 winning sessions from 4, which I'm quite pleased about, but the Holy Grail of 60% Win Rate was missed again, that lot comes to 58.27%. I can do OK @ 58%, yes, it's profitable, but 60% has always been the goal.

The overall profit was good, (just shy of £88) but this was helped by £40 from the Punta Cana thing, £5.59 in Rewards payment, & £1 from the Rewards Freeroll.  So, net of those bonuses, it was about £42, which is OK for 4 nights I think. 

Anyway, it goes in the book as £88, as effectively, ALL profit or losses emanate from the PLO8 DYM's, though it does distort the stats a bit I suppose.