You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited October 2015

A good pal of mine wrote to me a few days ago, he is doing great at 58%. Over the last year, he paid £900 in reg fees, but got over £600 back in Rewards Payments & Rewards Freeroll winnings, so that's pretty decdnt, & on top of that, at 58%, he's making a nice profit.

60% is harder than it might seem though - it amounts to 3 from every 5, 6 from every 10, and in my case, as I generally play 30 game sessions, 18 from every 30. Sounds so easy, but I find it a real struggle. 57% to 58% seems easy, those extra couple of % not so much.

Anyway, good start last night - 18 from 30, which is bang on 60%. Just have to repeat that for the rest of the week now. Sounds easy, eh?  I just need to avoid throwing in the occasional shocker, which destroys the numbers for the week.

No poker tonight - doing the Show - & not many DYM's on Thursday, as I promised the boys I'd play the PLO8 Tourneys this week. That's probably a tenner down the swanee..... 

Wednesday, & Friday to Sunday, business as usual.    

• edited October 2015

Have to say, never enjoyed my poker as much as I do these days, can't wait to start every night, & if I let myself, I'd play all night if traffic permitted. I really have to make an effort to avoid becoming too pokercentric, too focused on the game, as there are so many other things I want to do as well, primarily reading, which I might just favour over poker if push comes to shove.

I feel as little sad for the guys who can't think, speak or write of anything except poker, it's bad when it gets them like that, especially in the youngsters.

I sat next to one of those sorts on a flight to Vegas one year. in 10 hours, he never uttered a sentence that was not poker related, the poor chap had no life outside of poker. It's not as if he were a Pro, and even if he had been, surely he can think about stuff outside of "work" on occasions? I feigned sleep the whole way...... 

• edited October 2015

Anyone watch the F1 GR from Austin, Texas yesterday?

I had started a poker session, & had it on SkyGo, & it was so good I quit the session once the games I was playing completed.

There's precious little on TV I would miss a Sunday poker session for, but that was a spectacular watch.

Earlier, we had a fest of footie, with Sunderland v Newcastle, then Man U v Man C (no fight, no needle, not much to get the pulse racing) & Liverpool v Southampton.

We really are blessed with Live Sport on TV these days.

Back in the day, with just BBC, we got the Grand National, the FA Cup Final, the Open Golf, & the chuffing Boat Race - that was it. In a year.
  • edited October 2015

Had some fun times this week with a newbie to the PLO8 DYM's, though not a newbie to Sky Poker.  

"bluffulot6" (Tony) was having none of it, though. He never got  reply.

21:17 XXXXXXX do some of you lot under uderstand HI lo?
    bluffulot6: nooooooooo
    bluffulot6: teach us

Love being addressed as "you lot".......
  • edited November 2015

Just popped in to say to all my PLO8 friends that I'll be AWOL from the tables now until around Tuesday November 10th. Keep my seat warm, right?

If I get time during the next week or so, I'll report on my numbers for October, but the bottom line is a profit of £395 in October (including Rewards payments etc), taking the roll close to £2,500 from it's original £200, though it had taken a LONG time, over 2 years in fact. However, certainly never had a month like October before. 

Take care now, & if any of you play some UKOPS events, & hope you run as well as I clearly did in October.

What a thing of beauty Lady Variance is when she is in a good mood.  

• edited November 2015
    DYMs tonite tikay???????
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    DYMs tonite tikay???????
    Posted by stuarty117
    I wish - double points weekend, and I missed yesterday and today. I've got company this weekend, so no poker Friday or Saturday, but I will resume at around 3pm tomorrow (Sunday). Will be playing fast, so I can reap plenty of those double points.

Good luck tonight.
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I wish - double points weekend, and I missed yesterday and today. I've got company this weekend, so no poker Friday or Saturday, but I will resume at around 3pm tomorrow (Sunday). Will be playing fast, so I can reap plenty of those double points. Good luck tonight.
    Posted by Tikay10
    You never play fast!
  • edited November 2015
    Just popped in to say to all my PLO8 friends that I'll be AWOL from the tables now until around Tuesday November 10th. Keep my seat warm, right? If I get time during the next week or so, I'll report on my numbers for October, but the bottom line is a profit of £395 in October (including Rewards payments etc), taking the roll close to £2,500 from it's original £200, though it had taken a LONG time, over 2 years in fact. However, certainly never had a month like October before.  Take care now, & if any of you play some UKOPS events, & hope you run as well as I clearly did in October.   What a thing of beauty Lady Variance is when she is in a good mood.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    I never quite got round to doing that, but I'm going to now.

We can learn a lot about our game, & weaknesses, by looking closely & critically at our stats. In October, I made several tweaks to my game, in an effort to improve my results.

It's clear I ran pretty good in October, but I missed, by a sliver over 1%, my long-held target of 60% games won over a reasonable sample size.  No surprise there, but there were some surprises, & lessons, in the stats, & they jump off the page when you look at the stats. So there's one thing I can do better in future. Unforch, we can't arrange run-good to order, so the 60% is likely to remain elusive. I'll keep trying, though, oh yes.
  • edited November 2015

October - Games Played 816, Games won 481, = 58.95%.

£3.30 - played 488, won 274, = 56.15%

£5.50, played 264, won 167, = 63.26%

£11.00, played 65, won 40, = 61.54

(There is a discrepancy of 1 game there which I cba to research).

The big surprise there is that I did worst at the £3.30 games, & that makes a big difference, as I play more of them than all other buy-ins combined. I suspect I don't pay those £3.30 games enough respect. That's an easy fix.

Profit in October = £412

Profit per game in October = £0.50
  • edited November 2015

Worst session - P 27, W 12 = 44%

Best (2) sessions - P 30, W24 = 80% & P15, W12, = 80%
  • edited November 2015

Sessions played in month - 26

Losing sessions (by Game Count) - 5

• edited November 2015

So, the primary target for November is to improve the win rate at £3.30, without reducing the win rate at £5.50 & £11 too much. 

57.5% across the board would be just fine, 58% would be lovely.

• edited November 2015
    Hi Tikay

Hope you dont mind me saying. Hitting 60% regulary at all levels would be pretty hard to do. Simply because you play so many tables (6 i think you said one time) In holdem i use to hit 59% playing 3 tables i was happy enough with that.

If you play 4 tables i am sure you could the 60% most of the time. But then of course reward payments would decrease. 

I have been really enjoying my transition from holdem dyms to plo8 been around 2 weeks now and had one rough patch. The rough patch didnt annoy me as it would if i was playing holdem. Y, simply because the chat is fun and the guys who play are good crack. I am sure you know the guys i am on about. 

• edited November 2015
    Hi Tikay Hope you dont mind me saying. Hitting 60% regulary at all levels would be pretty hard to do. Simply because you play so many tables (6 i think you said one time) In holdem i use to hit 59% playing 3 tables i was happy enough with that. If you play 4 tables i am sure you could the 60% most of the time. But then of course reward payments would decrease.  I have been really enjoying my transition from holdem dyms to plo8 been around 2 weeks now and had one rough patch. The rough patch didnt annoy me as it would if i was playing holdem. Y, simply because the chat is fun and the guys who play are good crack. I am sure you know the guys i am on about. 
    Posted by stuarty117
    That's fair comment, Stu, & of course, reducing to 4 tables would mean with less volume, my win rate (games) should increase, but the overall amount I won (*or lose...) would decrease.

6 is fine, keeps me interested, stops me messing about listening to music or watching TV at the same time.

• edited November 2015

November - half term report.

Only 5 sessions so far in November, due to diary problems, but here's where we are.

£3.30, P 94, W 57 = 60.6%

£5.50, P56, W30 = 53.6%

£11, P27 W16 = 59.3%

Total Games = P177, W103 = 58.2%

Profit to date in November = £63.53

Profit per game = £0.36

The original £200 bankroll has now gone through the £2,500 barrier for the first time @ £2,522.90
  • edited November 2015
    November - half term report. Only 5 sessions so far in November, due to diary problems, but here's where we are. £3.30, P 94, W 57 = 60.6% £5.50, P56, W30 = 53.6% £11, P27 W16 = 59.3% Total Games = P177, W103 = 58.2% Profit to date in November = £63.53 Profit per game = £0.36 The original £200 bankroll has now gone through the £2,500 barrier for the first time @ £2,522.90
    Posted by Tikay10

^^Bankroll Nit!
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : ^^Bankroll Nit!
    Posted by yuranASSet
    ;)

If they ran bigger PLO8 games, I'd play them, but they don't.

I'd love there to be £16.50 or £22 games, but the demand is not there - in October, in 26 sessions, just 65 x £11 games ran. Be great if Sky Poker offered them though - you never know, it might spark some interest from the NLH boys who fancy a change & a bit of fresh air.

It's nice to not need to be staked though, & play well within the roll. I don't much enjoy the pain of MTT variance or losing big money these days, (try reading some of the MTT diaries to see what I mean) so I'm extremely comfy just doing what I do, tick tick tick. I genuinely enjoy my poker. A lot.  

• edited November 2015
    Would it do any harm to to just put the £16.50s and £22s in the lobby.
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : ;) If they ran bigger PLO8 games, I'd play them, but they don't. I'd love there to be £16.50 or £22 games, but the demand is not there - in October, in 26 sessions, just 65 x £11 games ran. Be great if Sky Poker offered them though - you never know, it might spark some interest from the NLH boys who fancy a change & a bit of fresh air. It's nice to not need to be staked though, & play well within the roll. I don't much enjoy the pain of MTT variance or losing big money these days, (try reading some of the MTT diaries to see what I mean) so I'm extremely comfy just doing what I do, tick tick tick. I genuinely enjoy my poker. A lot.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    I'm just teasing and I know what you mean. Enjoying the game is probably the most important aspect of it. I fall in and out of love with it freqeuently, more to do with the hours that I can put in rather than the variance, but I don't play MTT's. I've recently started to combat that by taking regular breaks every 2 hours aswell as doing BJJ 4 times a week and that seems to have me back in the right frame of mind. 

Anyway, I suppose if you want to play 6 tables then your win rate will be going down and it's always nice to have added protection. GL and onwards and upwards. I'm not that clued up in Omaha but I might do some flipping with ya for giggles and stuff!
  • edited November 2015
    Would it do any harm to to just put the £16.50s and £22s in the lobby.
    Posted by Jac35
    I guess not, Lord Grumps, but it might seem a bit "self-interest" if I were to ask the question.

In truth, inserting them in the Lobby would be no bother at all, as far as I know.

And I genuinely think that some of the NLH boys, who play £22 & up, might fancy a change & come across.
  • edited November 2015
    +£2.5k WP sir. Honeymoon fund?
  • edited November 2015
    [QUOTE]+£2.5k WP sir. Honeymoon fund?
    Posted by Phantom66

Vegas fund, more like......
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I'm just teasing and I know what you mean. Enjoying the game is probably the most important aspect of it. I fall in and out of love with it freqeuently, more to do with the hours that I can put in rather than the variance, but I don't play MTT's. I've recently started to combat that by taking regular breaks every 2 hours aswell as doing BJJ 4 times a week and that seems to have me back in the right frame of mind.  Anyway, I suppose if you want to play 6 tables then your win rate will be going down and it's always nice to have added protection. GL and onwards and upwards. I'm not that clued up in Omaha but I might do some flipping with ya for giggles and stuff!
    Posted by yuranASSet
    I'm astonished how many players don't really seem to enjoy playing poker, & yet do so every night. What a strange thing that is.

Me, I'm like a kid in a toy shop, every day, can't wait to get started. I had to miss Friday & Saturday last week, so I played 60 DYM's - sixty - yesterday.

Every part of every game gives me pleasure - the anticipation of our hand being dealt, will we hit the board, the thrill of hitting the nuts & getting paid, that little square box that comes up at the end "you have won..."

Think I have more enthusiasm for the game now than the day I began playing. Took me a log time to find the secret though. 

Be great to see you at  the PLO8 tables, the lads there are a great bunch.

The girlies, however - MOTHER & the oleaginous MacacGirl - are such a pain, it's all gabble gabble gabble.  

• edited November 2015

I only learned the word oleaginous today, after Tighty used it elsewhere, & I had to look it up.

And I thought it'd be great to try & work it into a sentence, like, you know, naturally, but I could not think how. 

And then MacacGirl's name sprung to mind. Perfect, fits like a glove.

Nice when a plan comes together.

BOOMIO

• edited November 2015
    I can't even pronounce it.
    So I'm an oily gobmerchant am I?
  • edited November 2015
    Having observed much table chat between Tikay and Macacgirl - I think Tikay has got his word definition wrong.

Oleaginous - "marked by an offensively ingratiating manner or quality" (Meriam-Webster)

Karen may be Offensive when addressing Tikay, but ingratiating?

Oleaginous - "Exaggeratedly and distastefully complimentaryobsequious:" (OED)

Again Karen may be distasteful when addressing Tikay, but complimentary?

• edited November 2015
    I can't even pronounce it. So I'm an oily gobmerchant am I?
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    +1
  • edited November 2015
    I should point out to strangers to PLO8,  that the 'offensive' and 'distasteful' comments are always in jest.
    TK knows that and he usually gives as bad as he gets.

By always in jest, I mean usually.
    OK. Sometimes.

• edited November 2015
    Should really endorse the fact that Macacgirl's Tikay "insults" are definitely given and taken in good spirits.

I have also realised that Macacgirl can be oleaginous, for example when extolling the virtues of "twiglets".