You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Tikay I think you mentioned that I was running well last night (I did for a time, against you anyway). Well this was my last hand of the night.   This hand was on the final table of the £5.50 plo8 MTT, I'm 3rd in chips I think with two small stacks one of whom is literally fumes (less than 3x BB). So 6 left and 5 get paid. Mid position flats pre so I see a free flop. I think I'm doomed from that point on, here's how it plays out Flopped the nuts, no low possible, still have the nuts on the turn and get all my stack in the middle. Matey has top set and rivers FH. My question is should I have played this differently and been able to get away on a paired/flushing river? I'm trying to win the tourney after all but just a bit of a sickener as I'm sure I would have folded to the cash had I not been allowed to flop the nuts. Hand History #1085740711 (22:40 06/10/2016) Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance Ice_Tiger Small blind   800.00 800.00 1678.72 Enut Big blind   1600.00 2400.00 15585.31   Your hole cards 10 2 J Q       Mr_Udigawa Fold         Whizzewky Fold                     xxx           Call   1600.00 4000.00 19930.02 its-a-fix Fold         Ice_Tiger Fold         Enut Check         Flop     K 9 J       Enut Check                     xxx          Bet   2000.00 6000.00 17930.02 Enut Call   2000.00 8000.00 13585.31 Turn     2       Enut Check                     xxx          Bet   4000.00 12000.00 13930.02 Enut All-in   13585.31 25585.31 0.00             xxx          Call   9585.31 35170.62 4344.71 Enut Show 10 2 J Q                   xxx          Show 10 6 K K       River     J                   xxx          Win high Full House, Kings and Jacks 35170.62   39515.33   No qualifying low hand
    Posted by Enut

You get it in ahead leaving him with very thin draws, just unlucky

• edited October 2016

Nothing you can do about that Paul, & Villain will rarely fold top set there either.

Typical PLO (or PLO8 high) hand, & it's what makes the game so wonderfully exciting.

• edited October 2016
    3 years later.  Have we established if an old dog can learn new tricks?

• edited October 2016
    Posted by gazza127
    Certainly. This one used to only be able to insta-fold 2 cards, now folds 4 at a time....
  • edited October 2016
    just checked my DYMs siince October last year and came out with this result: 2164GBP in and 2153.95 GBP out - I guess that means a profit of TEN POUNDS and 5p - time to turn pro - lol

• edited October 2016
    just checked my DYMs siince October last year and came out with this result: 2164GBP in and 2153.95 GBP out - I guess that means a profit of TEN POUNDS and 5p - time to turn pro - lol    
    Posted by imber
    BEAST
  • edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Certainly. This one used to only be able to insta-fold 2 cards, now folds 4 at a time....
    Posted by Essexphil
    I can fold 4 just as fast as I can fold 2 - that's called an efficiency gain.
  • edited October 2016
    Posted by gazza127
    Crikey, what a question.

I guess I learned a whole bunch in 3 years, but the problem is as fast as I learn something new, I promptly forget it.

Certainly I've learned that I can make money playing these, but only at a very pedestrian rate. Think I worked out a while back that I make, on average, £3.50 per session. Which is pretty poor by any standards. But multiply it by 1,095 (the amount of days in 3 years) & it adds up to a tidy sum. 

Think one of the most fascinating things is to try & get inside other peoples heads, to try & see what they are thinking. I could write for hours about this, but here's 3 examples from this week alone. 

1) A chap was roffling about last night, pot pot pot with any 4, & had himself 7,000 chips within the first level. And he lost the game. What WAS he thinking, why did he continue to roffle about, instead of just sitting out & collecting double his money? Ego, adrenalin rush, stupidity? I've no idea.

2) We were 4 handed in a game on Wednesday, & all 4 were playing sensibly, & had level stacks. I potted it with excellent aces from the SB, & the BB, who had not once got out of line, 3 bet me. I dusted off, as I do once a year, my 4 bet, & he had plenty of fold equity, but 5 bet, & we got it all in. He had J-9-3-3. Go figure what that was about. (He lost, in case you think it's a disguised bad beat story).

3) Again 4 handed with level stacks, & no pressure from the Blinds.

Ger pots it, & I repot it. Anyone like to try & guess our respective ranges here? Then a very weird thing happens - a regular in the game reports it, obv he is now all-in. His hand was A-9-8-4.

Now we all know that ranges run very close in PL08, but why would anyone, ever, get it in that bad against Ger & I? He did the lot, as you'd expect.

A million mysteries is what I've learned, I'd say. But not the answers.       

• edited October 2016

Have been running absolutely golden for most of September & October, & the Challenge total is now at an all time high. I'm at that point where I know I've got the game beat, which generally coincides with Miss Variance turning up, smoking a pipe, reminding me that I only ran good thanks to her, & then dishing out run-bad like confetti.

What a great challenge this game is.

Just had a short session tonight, and won't be back at the tables until Sunday evening now.

Take care all, & run good.
  • edited October 2016
    I see you did learn a new trick last night, how to go out on the very first hand.

Mind you, the quad 5s that busted you looked like small beer midway through when jimjan had a royal flush and then quad queens in the space of a couple of hands.
  • edited October 2016
    Well done Nic and nice catching up with your exploits Tikay.

Nice to see you are running golden in September/October and hopefully Miss Variance doesn't show up with the run bad confetti.
  • edited October 2016
    Well done Nic and nice catching up with your exploits Tikay. Nice to see you are running golden in September/October and hopefully Miss Variance doesn't show up with the run bad confetti.
    Posted by markycash
    I have 2 words for you.

Wanna guess them?
  • edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I have 2 words for you. Wanna guess them?
    Posted by Tikay10
    Does it rhyme with bad cough ?
  • edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I have 2 words for you. Wanna guess them?
    Posted by Tikay10
    Haha :D
  • edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Haha :D
    Posted by markycash
    GO AWAY
  • edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : GO AWAY
    Posted by Tikay10
    Never :)
  • edited October 2016
    I see you did learn a new trick last night, how to go out on the very first hand. Mind you, the quad 5s that busted you looked like small beer midway through when jimjan had a royal flush and then quad queens in the space of a couple of hands.
    Posted by FCHD
    Ha, it was certainly a rare one. I've upped my aggro rate considerably, which has improved my results enormously, but it does mean being less risk averse, so yes, some earlier exits are inevitable.

I was playing 6 games at the time, & I prioritise the games in order of blind sizes. So a new table is bottom right, the priority moves clockwise, & I focus most on top right. Those early stages are less crucial, as we can recover from little losses & mistakes, whereas once we get to, say, 150-300, 1 mistake is GG.

I seem to recall flopping or turning the boat, & I knew my man must have a 5, & was not the sort to ever fold, so I was merrily bashing away at the pot button.

I have to say, when the third 5 fell on the river a little cloud of doubt spring into my mind, that was NOT a card I wanted to see, but by then it was a bit late. And, to be fair, we can't generally be folding every time three of a kind hits the board, can we? So I was pretty cool with it, but yeah, it was an unusual one.

10 minutes later, I flopped the steel wheel & got the lot 3 way.

Funny old game.

Has two great nights in a row (Weds & Thursday), so am expecting a bit of a slap in the chops tonight. You know how it is with poker, just when you think you've got it cracked....

Have a great weekend, Barny.     

• edited October 2016

Meanwhile, its 2X Points on SNG's all weekend.

I have 609 & am aiming rather ambitiously for 1,500.

Call it another 900, or 300 per session today, Saturday & Sunday. That's 150 "real" points doubled.    

Who is on the unders, & who is on the overs?
  • edited October 2016
    Posted by Tikay10
    Easiest competition ever.

"Tikay1 folds."

Where do I claim my prize? :)
  • edited November 2016
    Absolutely shocking. No update on the diary for nearly two weeks!!!!!
    Bit busy at the moment, but will be back on the tables soon to donk off a few pounds!!!!!!
    Hope all is well with everyone?????????????

ps. ??????!!!!!!!!!
  • edited November 2016
    Absolutely shocking. No update on the diary for nearly two weeks!!!!! Bit busy at the moment, but will be back on the tables soon to donk off a few pounds!!!!!! Hope all is well with everyone????????????? ps. ??????!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    I agree Karen, not that I read this silly little thread much anyway. It must be his age, its not as if he has been busy or anything.

PLease let me know when you are back at the tables and i will join you, we can swap gravy recipes, pass the twiglets round, and have indepth discussions about the correct use of grammatical punctuation!!!!!!!!!

See you soon

Mother
    xxx
  • edited November 2016

FFS.

You don't realise how hard I have been working lately, Sky Poker have been working me non-stop, even made me go to a Caribbean Island for a week.

Will try & do a little Update shortly, just gotta do my jobs first. Oh, & Gill is coming down tonight for the weekend, so I've got to clear the house up, unpack my Punta Cana suitcases, do the washing, have a shave, & stuff like that.

Apart from all the nonsense food chat, I'm quite looking forward to Karen's return. We have a chap in the player pool now who just moans & groans about anything & anyone, never once said anything nice to or about anyone, except himself. I'm very confident that Karen will handle that with great aplomb. Oh yes.

I sort of wonder sometimes what it must be like to be married to a serial moaner, or one who sees only bad in others, & good in themselves. Or imagine being sat next to them on a long airline flight. Think I'd have to eat my head or shoot myself. I feel quite sorry for him in some ways, life must be horrible if you only see bad all around you.

Talking of which, on the way back from Punta Cana, I flew via New York, where I changed flights. The first leg - Punta Cana to New York, was 4 hours, & the couple next to me had a young (18 months old or so) kid, who was dreadfully spoilt. And it screamed non-stop, for 4 hours. 

I then changed flights for the 7 hour leg to London. Just as I settled in my seat for the all night flight, the same couple sat down next to me. And the kid was still screaming. For 7 hours. Yikes, that was a long 7 hours.

It was not ill or anything, it was just spoilt, & wanted to be able to crawl around, or suck a lollipop or whatever. It would insta stop crying when it got it's way.

I don't blame the kid of course, not his fault he has bad parents. I could cheerfully have given the parents a slap though.  

• edited November 2016
    22 days without an update?
    Disgusting!!!!
    Hope you are all well.
    Will be playing next week hopefully.
    Just been busy, nowt serious.
    GL all, -1 obv.
    xx
  • edited November 2016
    22 days without an update? Disgusting!!!! Hope you are all well. Will be playing next week hopefully. Just been busy, nowt serious. GL all, -1 obv. xx
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Totally agree with you Karen.
    22 days outrages, mind you he's probably 
    on the wrong side of variance. (that old chesnut)
    I assume you know the catch phrase, 
    anyone for tennis.
    Tikay's catch phrase is ..
    Anyone for spanners.

Come back soon Karen. 
    We need decent players in Plopsville, 
    we have missed you, even if the old bloke hasn't .

Regards Alan (plo8 champ *no typo there)
  • edited November 2016
    22 days without an update? Disgusting!!!! Hope you are all well. Will be playing next week hopefully. Just been busy, nowt serious. GL all, -1 obv. xx
    Posted by Macacgirl1

Ha, welcome back Lady Twaddle, we've missed you. (A bit).

Been a bit too busy to do Diary Updates, Punta Cana & then UKOPs, (22 blogs in 19 days) followed by a bit of unwellness.

Downswing? No chance, on the biggest upswing ever ever ever. It's so good it's bound to be followed by a vicious downswing. 

Brian (Churchy) sent me a PM a day or 2 ago about another matter & asked me to get the Diary rick rolling again, but I've just been all over the shop with stuff & that.

Will Update soonest, but Gill is down this weekend for Thanksgiving, & I'm taking her out for the day tomorrow to somewhere special.

I'll resume playing on Sunday.

Monday is likely to be a badddddd day, but I'll try & do an Update soonest.

Seriously, great to have you back. Well, great-ish.   

• edited November 2016

Ok, a few updates & bits & pieces, as Brian, Lady Twaddle & SWMBO asked.
  • edited November 2016

Remember 67Bhoys (Craig), who used to do very well with his plopping?

Well as you probably know, he never really liked the reg fee on smaller buy-in stuff, & it finally became too much, & he has, reluctantly, moved on.

Here's the thing though - he took the trouble to write to me to tell me the score, & wish me & all the other members of Team Plop the best.

I think that says a great deal about the Esprit de corps & Community here - this site really does have a nice vibe to it.

• edited November 2016

Also MIA of late is Markycash.

I keep in touch with him by e-mail, & he has some real life priorities to sort right now.

In a way, I don't miss him, as he was maybe THE toughest opponent amongst the regulars, & I used to dread his oft-repeated "Odds, I have to call" when I jammed a touch light. I always felt like typing "no you don't HAVE to call", but he's like a woman, the more you tell him not to do something, the more he does it.

In short, GO AWAY Mark.

• edited November 2016

Question for you.

Blinds are 300-600, & you have 35 (thirty five) chips, which is about one twentieth of a BB, & you are 4 handed.

Can you EVER fold here?

The answer is "yes", & we saw exactly that last night.

4 of us left in a DYM, I have 4,500, BB has 7,400, & the 2 shorties have 35 & 65 chips.

It's been a tactically fascinating waiting game for the 2 shorties for several orbits, both were trying to outlast the other. (The 2 shorties were Eon & Enut).

To complicate things the Chippie did not really "get" DYM strategy, & was walking the shorties (& so allowing them to survive) & attacking me consistently. If he thought I was ever gonna get involved in those circumstances, he must have thought I was a bit wet behind the ears, only a complete oaf would play back in my spot. My win is locked, & I won't be risking a solitary chip here, ever.

And so eventually, Eon was forced all-in, & Enut found the fold with.....35 chips.

Eon lost the hand, & Enut secured a quite remarkable "win".
  • edited November 2016
    It is slightly different but there is one very good Holdem dym reg who does the opposite to you.
    Let's say the stacks are 4500 4500 1500 1500
    He will attack the 4500 stack relentlessly and in doing so also blocks the short stacks from making a move