You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited December 2016
    Have a great day Tikay and enjoy your time with the missus merry Christmas friend 
  • edited December 2016

^^^^

Thanks Stokey, you too m8.

Will you be partaking of a little alcohol, today? Just for Xmas, like.

• edited December 2016

MOTHER popped in to see us last night on the PLO8 tables.

I abused her, obv.

Merry Christmas, MOTHER, & the Dreaded Degen Daughter.

• edited December 2016

Sadly, no sign of Karen, hope she is OK.

Probs stuffing her face with food.
  • edited December 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    ^^^^ Thanks Stokey, you too m8. Will you be partaking of a little alcohol, today? Just for Xmas, like.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    I will just beer today ��and thanks for everything you have done this year 
  • edited December 2016

Missing in action

A few Ploppers who seem to have fallen off the radar of late.

Hotwheals - still playing, but not in the DYM's.

Footsie66 - not seen him in ages

Jod67 - not been seen in 3 months or more

Markycash - Uni studies & real life stuff has kept him away for a while.

Karen (MacacGirl)- thought she was back in the UK, but not been seen on the tables

The Identical Twins - the last sighting of either was back in April.
  • edited December 2016

A visit to the dark side (cont'd)

Shaded the game count 8-7 in my latest effort, but lost £4.15 in doing so.

Largely self-inflicted, & I'll learn from the mistakes. The first was to reg in error for a Turbo. I then compounded it by calling with A-10 with a full stack & losing to K-Q. Bad mistake to call there. I'd rather shove with KQ than call with A-10. Made the same mistake later with AK & lost to 6-6. I did not have to call & should not have, as I had a full stack.   

Session 1 - P5, W4

Session 2 - P4, W3

Session 3 - P10, W8

Session 4 - P15, W 10

Session 5 - P15, W8

So that's P49, W33.

Profits to date £30.10, which is OK. Think I'll continue with the experiment until I have a few hundred games under my belt & then take stock & decide whether to continue.

Have largely restricted myself to £2.25 & £3.30 games so far, with just the occasional £5.50 game. I sense the tables will be a good deal more competitive at £5.50 & £11 up.

• edited December 2016
    Morning Tony
    Quite enjoyed the 4 dyms I played last night. I'm getting there with plo8. I do appreciate your comments about my ranges btw ;)
    One of the games was fun. You'd have missed it as you'd already bust. Was down to 152 chips 5 handed and cruised into the money from there.

Pleased that the Holdem is going well for you
  • edited December 2016

In the PLO8 games, after the heady excitement of one of my most successful sessions on Saturday, normality returned yesterday, when I played 30 games & won a modest £8.25.

3 games ran @ £11 & I won them all, but I blotted my copybook with several mistakes in the only £16.50 to run & lost that. That's a £30 swing right there. 

• edited December 2016
    Morning Tony Quite enjoyed the 4 dyms I played last night. I'm getting there with plo8. I do appreciate your comments about my ranges btw ;)One of the games was fun. You'd have missed it as you'd already bust. Was down to 152 chips 5 handed and cruised into the money from there. Pleased that the Holdem is going well for you
    Posted by Jac35
    Boxing Day rubs, marv.

Was good to see you last night, though I had too many tables on the go to be sociable or take much note of what was going off. I did notice you pillaging me though. Got me a sharp pencil, ready to draw a line, you hear me? That Hendo fella has been doing the same thing, so I had to play back at him, too.

• edited December 2016

And so ends a very good week, with £178 of profit booked, including £22.97 of Rewards money. If only I could do that more often.

Apart from today, & maybe a short session on the Dark Side tomorrow morning, that's me done for 2016, & I'll not be playing again until the New Year.

• edited December 2016
    Enjoy your boxing day sport sir
  • edited December 2016
    I had been hoping to avoid any "hot pots", but that was a bit optimistic. Fella types "is that the real tikay?", & before I could reply, he typed that he had seen me in Vegas one year, doing some filming, but was too shy to approach me & introduce himself, so it looked like his comment this morning was friendly. (Often they are not...). So I Scoped him, his alias was " Mayhem357 ", & I'd really walked into one with him - 23,000 games & he makes £0.25 per game, which is very tidy indeed I'd say. A peruse of the Lobby told me he is a multi tabling DYM-er. Did not really want to be on tables with players of his calibre, but, you know, 3 spots are paid so it's not necessarily a disaster. Anyway, it was all very interesting, enjoyable, & so very different from PLO8. But identical to PLO8 too, in that DYM nous is just as important as game-type nous whatever format we play.   Not sure I'd want to test my faded NLH skills with a proper sample size, mind, probably come a right cropper.   Back to PLO8 tonight, though if the games go quiet, I might venture across to the dark side again. Not sure I'd want to play both simultaneously though, that'd be too much for me I think.  Interestingly, other than Mayhem375, not a single player in all 5 games typed a word in the chatbox. I did my usual "gl all" but the silence was deafening. Pretty sure O8 players are a more convivial bunch on the whole.      
    Posted by Tikay10

Thanks Tikay, enjoyed playing with you lately, you have a solid game which will beat the lower stakes but you'll need to adjust if you move up as the games are more aggressive and villains will attack your equity.

If I see you out in Vegas this summer I'll be sure to come over and introduce myself this time.

• edited December 2016

^^^^

Ahh, good to see you post, & thank you for the help & suggestions you have made here & in the chat box.

I'm under no illusions, at £11 & up the game will be too hot for me, so no plans to go there any time soon.

I had not planned to play the £5 games today, but my sort of NLH mentor suggested that the £3 & £5 games are populated by much the same players, & I'd be OK. I played 5 @ £5 this morning, losing them 3-2, but that was just a bit of run bad I think, running J-J into K-K, A-J into A-K, both when the blinds were big & so they played themselves.

I've started to find my way now, making a few little moves & stuff, but it's real ABC stuff to be honest. I just sit tight & hope others make mistakes, & if I can get 4 handed with a playable stack, I'm completely at ease, as I know what to do then. Most games seem to finish early though, & more often than not I don't need to do much, people seem to bust themselves.

I play better at PLO & PLO8, but the games don't run except in the evenings, so this is just a way of getting some game time &, I hope, win a few bob & learn a bit along the way. I used to play NLH (or PLH - remember that?) exclusively, but the game overtook me, so I headed across to the 4 card game which I happen to enjoy immensely, & I do ok.

Other than tomorrow mornming, I'm done with the Dark Side now until the New Year, but I'll certainly be continuing the little NLH adventure. Happy Hours runs in January (variously 9pm - Midnight & 10pm-1am), so I'll be looking to earn a few extra points at the NLH tables when the PLO8 games die, which is usually around 10pm.

Fingers crossed we'll bump into each other in Vegas come WSOP time. Not 100% sure to be going, but it's the highlight of my poker year, so if I can be there, I will.        
  • edited December 2016

A 15 game session this morning ended 10-5 in my favour, though, as noted above, losing 3 from 5 @ £5 took the shine off it. Ended with a £5.70 profit, so not so bad really, before I resumed playing NLH I'd have taken that. 

Session 1 - P5, W4

Session 2 - P4, W3

Session 3 - P10, W8

Session 4 - P15, W 10

Session 5 - P15, W8

Session 6 - P15, W10

So that's P64, W43, = 67%.

Profit so far is £36. It's helped with my Reward Points, too. 

67% would be very acceptable, but sample size & all that, let's see how it looks after 250, 500 or 1,000 games.

The surprising thing is I don't feel out of my depth at all, though only at the £2, £3 & £5 levels, moving up to £10 & above would not be wise methinks. 
  • edited December 2016
    Enjoy your boxing day sport sir
    Posted by weecheez1
    Thanks Cheezy.

Gonna watch the Palace game, the King George to see how young Thistlecrack shapes up, the SA Test Match, & the NFL tonight.

Hope you are enjoying the PLO8 games - you might just be the most improved player in those games, & are already a formidable opponent. Amazing how quickly you ironed out the little faults you had early doors, well done you. 
  • edited December 2016

One thing I do find with these NLH DYM's is that I really have to concentrate & focus 100%. It's quite mentally intensive & tiring, so I don't generally have more than 4 tables on the go at the mo.

In the PLO8 games, I like 5 or 6 tables on the go, & I have instant recgnition of what hands & spots I want to play, it's almost instinctive, & the decisions come very easily, with little effort.

I pretty much know that in a 30 game PLO8 session, I'm likely to win 17 or 18 on average, whereas in these NLH games I have to really huff & puff & strain to win every game.

It's all most enjoyable.     
  • edited December 2016
    One thing I do find with these NLH DYM's is that I really have to concentrate & focus 100%. It's quite mentally intensive & tiring, so I don't generally have more than 4 tables on the go at the mo. In the PLO8 games, I like 5 or 6 tables on the go, & I have instant recgnition of what hands & spots I want to play, it's almost instinctive, & the decisions come very easily, with little effort. I pretty much know that in a 30 game PLO8 session, I'm likely to win 17 or 18 on average, whereas in these NLH games I have to really huff & puff & strain to win every game. It's all most enjoyable.     
    Posted by Tikay10
    The same but in reverse for me
    I'll happily autopilot 10 nl dyms. 4 tables is the max I can do at plo8 and I'm trying to follow every hand whether I'm in it or not.
  • edited December 2016
    Thought thistlecrack was superb
  • edited December 2016
    Thought thistlecrack was superb
    Posted by weecheez1
    As Novice Chasers go, he was spectacular, was he not? 

Good horses get over-hyped - "Horse of the Century" & all that (see Frankel, Kauto Star, Nijinsky, Alleged, Brigadier Gerard, Sea Bird, Seabiscuit, Ribot, Sceptre & so on), but Thistlecrack does look exceptional considering his lack of experience over fences, has a bit of character about him, & jumps like a stag. He might yet give us a few years fun.

At least it saves us having a bet on the Cheltenham Gold Cup - he's a horse that does not need betting, as we can get a buzz by just sitting & watching a thrilling spectacle. 

Was a great race to watch yesterday. I do fancy Cue Card was not ridden optimally yesterday, taking on the winner far too soon, & might well do a lot better next time they clash.  

• edited December 2016
    Good morning Tikay

Hope yourself and the Sky regulars had an enjoyable Christmas!

Will hopefully get a more prolonged period where I can crack open a few tables with you soon.
  • edited December 2016

^^^^

GO AWAY & STAY AWAY

PS - Hope you & everyone at home had a peasant & peaceful Xmas.
  • edited December 2016

A short 5 game session this morning, just 5 games, but we went NAP & won all 5.

I did have a spectacular piece of luck though.

Having won 4 from 4, I was quite keen to get the NAP. We were 4 handed, & it was nip & tuck. From the SB (4 handed, 300-600) I jammed with 7-7, only to get looked up by 8-8. Oooh, just a pip behind.

When the door card came an 8, I was as near as drawing dead, but a spectacular perfect perfect 3-9-5-6 run-out got me home. Proper bit of run good, that.

The only negative is that I have built up a run-good overdraft, & soon enough, I'm gonna have to pay that bill.   

Session 1 - P5, W4

Session 2 - P4, W3

Session 3 - P10, W8

Session 4 - P15, W 10

Session 5 - P15, W8

Session 6 - P15, W10

Session 7 - P5, W5

So that's P69, W48, = 70%.

Profit so far is £49.
  • edited December 2016
    Thanks for not playing the PLO8 DYMs for a few days Tikay. Lack of traffic resulted in me having to play a couple of Holdem MTTs and actually making a profit for a change.

Will be back to losing ways soon though, no doubt.
  • edited December 2016
    hope you all had a brill chrimbo.
    would have loved to have played a bit but i had a bit of a heart attack.
    docs advised not to get jodded, so, will be back a few more weeks from now.
    love
    karen

xxx
  • edited December 2016
    OMG you ok Karen?

We miss you.

Ger
  • edited December 2016
    hope you all had a brill chrimbo. would have loved to have played a bit but i had a bit of a heart attack. docs advised not to get jodded, so, will be back a few more weeks from now. love karen xxx
    Posted by Macacgirl1

Hey Karen,

Sorry to hear that, dont be scared to ask the doctors stuff, talking to people helps bundles (sometimes takes a while to sink in). You probably dont want to go into all the details, however if you do want a natter with a veteran feel free to PM me.

Neil

• edited December 2016
    hope you all had a brill chrimbo. would have loved to have played a bit but i had a bit of a heart attack. docs advised not to get jodded, so, will be back a few more weeks from now. love karen xxx
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Sorry to hear that Karen.
    I do hope you are ok, and get back to full fitness asap.
    No rush, come back when you are well enough.
    see you soon
    Much love xxx 
  • edited December 2016
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Good Lord Karen, that is terrible news.

From everyone here, all your PLO8 mates & especially me, we hope you are soon back in good order & back amongst us.

Try & keep us updated please.

Here's some things to help cheer you up.

xx

• edited December 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Hey Karen, Sorry to hear that, dont be scared to ask the doctors stuff, talking to people helps bundles (sometimes takes a while to sink in). You probably dont want to go into all the details, however if you do want a natter with a veteran feel free to PM me. Neil
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Thinking of those poor doctors once she starts rambling!

Sorry to hear Karen, hope you're back to health soonest.