You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Mixing in a few MTTs or just SnG's for now Tikay?
    Posted by gazza127
    Just DYM's, Gazza, & no plans to go down the MTT route. I don't particularly enjoy the brutal variance of MTT's. Even a very good player - & I'm most certainly not that at NLH - can go scores of MTT's without a decent cash.

I play the game for fun, & I don't find losing frequently much fun, to be honest. Some of the MTT Diaries we used to see on here made very sad reading.

Oddly, every year I go to Vegas & play MTT's & Cash, usually 15 or 20 MTT's & cash on nights when I bust early, & I love that to bits, & cope just fine with the variance, though I think I tend to run good in Vegas. It's mostly O8 & Big O though, where I know, up to a point, what I am doing.

I'm actually thinking of playing a few small NLH Events in Vegas this year, perhaps a few small WSOP NLH Events. Probably not a wise move......     

• edited February 2017
    Nice to see the new quest sailing along steadily!

Regarding 'position', I couldn't agree more. I have understood this is an important factor for quite a while but the more I play the more I realise just how immensely important it is.

Good luck
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Just DYM's, Gazza, & no plans to go down the MTT route. I don't particularly enjoy the brutal variance of MTT's. Even a very good player - & I'm most certainly not that at NLH - can go scores of MTT's without a decent cash.   I play the game for fun, & I don't find losing frequently much fun, to be honest. Some of the MTT Diaries we used to see on here made very sad reading. Oddly, every year I go to Vegas & play MTT's & Cash, usually 15 or 20 MTT's & cash on nights when I bust early, & I love that to bits, & cope just fine with the variance, though I think I tend to run good in Vegas. It's mostly O8 & Big O though, where I know, up to a point, what I am doing.   I'm actually thinking of playing a few small NLH Events in Vegas this year, perhaps a few small WSOP NLH Events. Probably not a wise move......       
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yeah the variance can be pretty brutal on MTT's.  I've recently just had my biggest ever downswing.  It doesn't fill you up with confidence - thats for sure.  Mine is probably down to my drastic increase in stakes though as i'm more 'life rolled' at the moment I can afford to have a bit of a punt... just as long as it doesnt continue too long!

RE bold - sounds pretty good to me.  I've got like 7224 weddings to attend this summer (or it seems like it), so I wont be able to get to Vegas for the WSOP, however i'm really trying to put together a plan to get there next year for my first WSOP.
  • edited February 2017

I just had a look at my Sharky for MTT's Only, though I've not played any for many years.

£1,029 down after 826 games, ave stake £13, so that's not good, & I've become very much a bankroll nit, so I don't really want to go back down that route.

If I can improve considerably at NLH, then yeah, maybe I'll give them a spin, but for now, I think I'll just accept I'm not good enough.

I'm told that Matt Bates fella gets the lot, be nice to give him the occasional black eye though. Oh yes.  

• edited February 2017

Points earned so far in February - 7,304.

Points per day required to reach 10,000 by month end - 300 per day.

Profit/loss on Month to date - £106.72 profit

• edited February 2017

The easy part of Project Prio is going to be the 10,000 points - I'm very confident I can do that, just 2,700 left to get now.

The key thing, though, & very much harder, is to do it profitably. 

With just £107 profit in the month so far, this might be touch & go. Anyway, we'll, see.

Last week was OK - 2,434 points, & a profit of £236.64.

It's SO swingy though. I played a late afternoon session yesterday & it went horrendously, barely won a hand. (£10, P22, W14, £20 P8 W1). Despite drawing the game count 15-15, I lost an eye-watering £98, as the "mix" of games I won/lost was all wrong.

After a brief foray hanging around the PLO8 lobby - just 3 games in an hour & a £6 loss (played badly), I moved back to NLH & had a cracking session, winning 10 from 13. (£20, P1, W1, £15, P1, W1, £10 P11, W8) for a profit of £70.50, wiping out most of the losses from the afternoon session. 

Looks like it will be "fasten your seat belts" this week, & just hope I'm good enough to be the right side of variance.

• edited February 2017

Managed - with some difficulty - to find my calling boots last night, but I got a right telling off from some guy.

We were still 5 handed @ 200-400, so it's getting well shovey now, & my man, playing 1,200 (I had 2,900) shoved on me. He'd been shoving way too much, it seemed to me, so I looked him up, with clenched cheeks I might add, with A-7, & I held against his optimistic 9-2.

All standard stuff, I'd say, but then he gave me a bit of a telling off "wow, VERY loose call". 

Not wrong mate, but I was half tempted to reply "pretty loose shove, too". 

But I am not here to bicker with bad losers, so I just said "ul m8".......

Loose call indeed. You should see the calls that Timmy fella makes against me. Scandalous really.

• edited February 2017
    Managed - with some difficulty - to find my calling boots last night, but I got a right telling off from some guy. We were still 5 handed @ 200-400, so it's getting well shovey now, & my man, playing 1,200 (I had 2,900) shoved on me. He'd been shoving way too much, it seemed to me, so I looked him up, with clenched cheeks I might add, with A-7, & I held against his optimistic 9-2.   All standard stuff, I'd say, but then he gave me a bit of a telling off "wow, VERY loose call".  Not wrong mate, but I was half tempted to reply "pretty loose shove, too".  But I am not here to bicker with bad losers, so I just said "ul m8"....... Loose call indeed. You should see the calls that Timmy fella makes against me. Scandalous really.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    He'll call with suited ra-ras and win, that one :)

A7 loose? You're supposed to fold more than 85% of hands there, then?
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Fabulous question, Matt. On balance, no, not really, Some players have worked at their game & improved, others are unchanged. I'm not really sure if the overall standard has changed much tbh. Some really competent players, & some not so hot.   The PLO8 liquidity has not reduced overall imo, it's just started to split between DYM's & MTT's - the reduction in DYM volume exactly coincides with the new PLO8 BH MTT's. There's not enough liquidity for both.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Compared with 2011, PL08 DYM are way tougher. Lots of long term players now understand that surviving to the bubble is imperative, and that shoving wide @~3-5BB to survive is also a must.

The sum of Av ROI must equal -10%. If 5-6 evenly matched players sit there no edge, and even a few % edge is eaten by the rake.

PL08 Ts are much easier, mainly because a lot of the field play quite badly in simple poker terms (eg: bet sizes, position, GAP effect to mention a few). OFC its low stakes.
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Just DYM's, Gazza, & no plans to go down the MTT route. I don't particularly enjoy the brutal variance of MTT's. Even a very good player - & I'm most certainly not that at NLH - can go scores of MTT's without a decent cash.   I play the game for fun, & I don't find losing frequently much fun, to be honest. Some of the MTT Diaries we used to see on here made very sad reading. Oddly, every year I go to Vegas & play MTT's & Cash, usually 15 or 20 MTT's & cash on nights when I bust early, & I love that to bits, & cope just fine with the variance, though I think I tend to run good in Vegas. It's mostly O8 & Big O though, where I know, up to a point, what I am doing.   I'm actually thinking of playing a few small NLH Events in Vegas this year, perhaps a few small WSOP NLH Events. Probably not a wise move......       
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yes MTT's are brutal and bad runs are frequent and can be long, I went through all of 2015 in a downswing and came through the other side. So when you are feeling depressed after a 3 month bad run, just remember this is normal and to be expected.
  • edited February 2017

Points earned so far in February - 8,280.

Points per day required to reach 10,000 by month end - 246 per day.

Profit/loss on Month to date - £40.92 profit.
  • edited February 2017

So, mixed news on Project Prio.

Making the 10,000 points is in the bag, no problem there.

Doing it profitably, not so much.

Been a brutal 2 days so far this week, & I'm surprised to be only £60 down. (Excluding Rewards payments).

If I were just playing O8 DYM's the swings are smaller, as the average stake is only about £4, & the volume is far lower. 

Now I've more than doubled the volume, & the average stake is around £12 or £13, so the swings are bound to be bigger I guess.

In O8, if I have a few bad days, it does not overly bother me - I KNOW I will turn it round & end up ahead, it's guaranteed. In NLH though, it really damages my belief & confidence, & I'm definitely doubting myself now. 

It's also hard to differentiate between run bad & play bad. I know the answer in O8, but not in NLH. 

I've had 2 days in NLH where it seemed impossible to get the right side of AK. If I have it, I miss, if I run into it with JJ or whatever, it hits. It feels like that, but of course the reality is maybe I need to improve my NLH game a lot more. 

I HAVE improved a great deal. Not sure I've improved enough though.

We shall see. Really loving the mental challenge though. I really have to concentrate & I make a lot of mistakes, but the learning graph is heading the right way, of that I'm certain.   
  • edited February 2017

The PLO8 DYM traffic has declined significantly, I'm lucky to get 10 games per evening now.

To give an idea of "scale", last night I played 2 sessions:

PLO8

£3, P6, W5, L1

£5, P4, W4, L0

Profit £28.20

Points earned 32

NLH

£10, P12, W9, L3

£15, P5, W0, L5

£20, P4, W2, L2

£30, P1, W1, L0

Loss £15.50

Points earned 305 

I thought I did OK at the NLH last night, but those £15 games - P5, L5 - really did the damage.

Anyway, on we go.
  • edited February 2017

Points earned so far in February - 8,796.

Points per day required to reach 10,000 by month end - 201 per day.

Profit/loss on Month to date - £61.32 profit.
  • edited February 2017

A slightly better day yesterday, only £20.40 profit, but after 2 losing days it felt like a huge win.

The figures were flattered by a clean sweep of 5 x £20 games, but if I had lost just one of those 5, I'd have been in negative territory again. 

Just 10 PLO8 DYM's ran in a 2 hour spell for 36 points. I then jumped across to the NLH DYM's & collected 315 points in 2.5 hours.

I expect to reach the 10,000 points on Saturday, giving me 3 days to spare, so that part of the challenge is in great shape. Doing it profitably hangs in the balance, though.

• edited February 2017
    great stuff TK, really good to see you are going to make priority.

I love your attitude to these mini swings (which you said have become a bit more pronounced running more bigger buy in DYMs).

I must admit I find them very difficult (its one of the main reasons I have moved so slowly through stakes),even when looking back at my graphs and seeing the same patterns.

Anyway very best of luck staying in the black and joining the 'prio club' just think you could share a table in the FR with that grumpy bloke from Derby ;-)
  • edited February 2017
    great stuff TK, really good to see you are going to make priority. I love your attitude to these mini swings (which you said have become a bit more pronounced running more bigger buy in DYMs). I must admit I find them very difficult (its one of the main reasons I have moved so slowly through stakes),even when looking back at my graphs and seeing the same patterns. Anyway very best of luck staying in the black and joining the 'prio club' just think you could share a table in the FR with that grumpy bloke from Derby ;-)
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Thanks HL. I'm not sure I'm handling these bigger swings in NLH as well as I'd hoped (the swings are bigger as the volume is greater, as are the stakes) but I'm just about keeping it in perspective, aided, I have to admit, by words of encouragement from The Grumpy One.

I know you do have a bit of a problem with the swings, (poker, not golf) but I think you need to take a wider view. You do just fine, but no matter how competent you are, poker is like that, swings are part & parcel of the game, they just are. Having said that, I tend to avoid MTT's as I'm not sure I'd cope with the swings & huge variance.

I've already shared quite a few tables with Lord Grumpy, but we've not really banged heads much. Yet.

I got owned by a player named babes01 yesterday. Very good player indeed. I button raised his BB with KQ suited with the blinds at 150-300, & I made it 600 from 2,100, & he re-potted it. He has not generally messed with me, & I just about found the fold. It was all-in or fold of course. He then showed 2-3, much to the amusement of the entire table. 

I was a little surprised he showed, to be honest, it seemed a little un-necessary, but I guess that is why he is a big winner whilst I'm struggling to keep my head above water.       

• edited February 2017

Going back to HL, did you see that bizarre hand in that PLO8 DYM last night?

Very first hand of the DYM, & I had the Aces, & my man went pot pot pot pre & we got the lot in.

He showed up with.....2-2-7-8, flopped his deuce, gg me.

We can get discouraged & "sigh" at these beats, but long term we ought to love it. That player is our future profit, & in the long tem we'll muller him.   
  • edited February 2017
    I've just scoped babes01 as I can't remember ever playing against them.
    Stunning graph
  • edited February 2017
    I've just scoped babes01 as I can't remember ever playing against them. Stunning graph
    Posted by Jac35
    Just a bit.

We chat warmly, & he calls me "Tony", so I guess he must know me from somewhere.
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Just a bit. We chat warmly, & he calls me "Tony", so I guess he must know me from somewhere.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Maybe it's Lala
  • edited February 2017
    Good to see the Prio quest is pretty much nailed on!

I will start mine in April. Will probably do it via cash games though.

I think I was at your table during that 2278 hand, I missed it though due to other tables being open (I seem to get less competent with several tables open as each year passes).

Were you tempted to flat call for pot control though? I mean, it isn't a criticism, depending on my mood I would  do a variety of things including repotting it all in just as you did. However, when I feel I am playing at my best I feel I would probably flat call and evaluate post flop during the early stages (10-20, 15-30). Obviously we need to be winning quite a decent percentage of the time if we are all in preflop in a DYM and although it seems such an easy spot to get it all in, it is probablly mathematically quite thin in relation to profitability.

I suspect your skills and understanding of the game post flop would probably make flatting, re-evaluating on the flop, getting away from the hand if needs be, and outplaying the opponents with pot control in better spots more profitable.

I dunno, just another take on it. For someone without your skills and understanding of the game it is a very easy repop and get it in.
  • edited February 2017
    Very impressed with your prio mission Tikay, even more so if you get over the line in profit.  Another one of the bucket list ticked off.

Have you seen the amount of points the spin up guys are racking up to win a seat in the Drive the Prize promotion?  60k+ in a week.  Have you considered going down this route?

I'm going to make a poor 20k points this month, I'm just considering how much of an effect the spin ups have had on this.  I've resisted the temptation of going over to the dark side as of yet.

Best of luck for the next few days from a well turned out DTM ;)
  • edited February 2017
    Good to see the Prio quest is pretty much nailed on! I will start mine in April. Will probably do it via cash games though. I think I was at your table during that 2278 hand, I missed it though due to other tables being open (I seem to get less competent with several tables open as each year passes). Were you tempted to flat call for pot control though? I mean, it isn't a criticism, depending on my mood I would  do a variety of things including repotting it all in just as you did. However, when I feel I am playing at my best I feel I would probably flat call and evaluate post flop during the early stages (10-20, 15-30). Obviously we need to be winning quite a decent percentage of the time if we are all in preflop in a DYM and although it seems such an easy spot to get it all in, it is probablly mathematically quite thin in relation to profitability. I suspect your skills and understanding of the game post flop would probably make flatting, re-evaluating on the flop, getting away from the hand if needs be, and outplaying the opponents with pot control in better spots more profitable. I dunno, just another take on it. For someone without your skills and understanding of the game it is a very easy repop and get it in.
    Posted by markycash
    It kinda depends on the player in question & my mood, I suppose. Neither is necessarily right or wrong really.

In this case, I knew the player - a very rare visitor to the O8 tables - was a real Alfred Any Four sort, so I knew pretty much he'd have a set of spanners.

This does not make it right or wrong of course, but the flop was something like K-9-2  - I can't ever get off aces on that flop, so the result would likely be the same. With, say, high only aces and a 2-3-7 flop, we are done with the hand, not another chip, but don't think we can get off a K-9-2 flop. He had 2-2-7-8 of course, so setted up.

• edited February 2017
    Very impressed with your prio mission Tikay, even more so if you get over the line in profit.  Another one of the bucket list ticked off. Have you seen the amount of points the spin up guys are racking up to win a seat in the Drive the Prize promotion?  60k+ in a week.  Have you considered going down this route? I'm going to make a poor 20k points this month, I'm just considering how much of an effect the spin ups have had on this.  I've resisted the temptation of going over to the dark side as of yet. Best of luck for the next few days from a well turned out DTM ;)
    Posted by Donttelmum
    HOW MANY?

Strewth alive.

No, not in the least tempted to go down the cash route. I do enjoy PLO & PLO8 cash, but prefer to play it "live".

Do you think the DYM traffic has been affected this month by Spinner Winner? Based on this month, I reckon I could make Prio every month if I so desired. (I don't). It's so easy to rack up points at NLH DYM's.

I may have heard it wrong, but a little birdie told me that a bunch of reprobates plan an assault on Vegas this year - you, Batesy, Dog Bloke & Magic Timmy. Yikes, that'd be some team. I plan to be in Vegas on my own account for all of June, so we might just hook up. 

I have to say, one thing with this Prio thing & trying to re-learn NLH, the "senior" players have been very encouraging & supportive, good craic, too. Had some great bants with Magic Tim, (& Miss RaRa), Spanky, Reflex, Grumpy Bloke & many others. I have no interest in playing poker purely for money, it has to be fun, & those lads are top top blokes.*

* Except Magic Timmy.    

• edited February 2017

Points earned so far in February - 9,377.

Points per day required to reach 10,000 by month end - 125 per day.

Profit/loss on Month to date - £33.17 loss.
  • edited February 2017

It all went a pit Pete yesterday.

Took a few calculated gables. Calculated badly.

Run a bit nasty in a few crucial spots, but nothing really bad, just failed to win the flips that mattered & made a few mistakes.

Towards the end, I was in a hole, & a reasonable looking £30er was running. OK, let's gamble.

JMcCririck was clearly best not tangled with, but it was otherwise very playable, & I arrived 4 handed in decent shape. We could not bust anyone though - 5 all-ins amongst the other 3 all went to the "wrong" player, & soon is was shove time, with blinds at 300-600. I jammed with K-10 into Reflex, who just covered me, & he looked me up, quite reasonably, with 6-6. Flopped both my overs, happy days, he flopped his 6, not so happy days. I had to jam in that spot, as blinds were about to go 400-800, & I was in the BB next hand. No regrets, really. Well that's not true, of course I regret it, but you get my drift.

On we go.   

• edited February 2017

I have to say, the late evening session - where I play the £10, £15 & £20 games, really revs me up - it's immensely exciting to "stretch" my nitty bankroll rules with bigger games & I enjoy it immensely.

Not kidding myself though, I need to improve my NLH game a good deal.

• edited February 2017

One £20 game was a bit odd.

2 of us - me & A N Other - had 5,000 chips each @ 200-400. We'd been playing strategically for several orbits. 

The other big stack was to my immediate left, & I had walked him every time. Then I picked up K-K, so just min-raised, expecting him to take the hint & fold - & he jammed all-in. 

I folded, obv, but it irritated me more than it should have. More with myself, I suppose, for even raising in the first place, but not the brightest play by him, either. Anyway, we got over the line safely in the end.

Oh yeah - & there was 1 £20 game where some roffler jammed 8-3 into my A-J & got there. Won't mention any names, but he's from Derby & famously grumpy. Marv.  

• edited February 2017
    One £20 game was a bit odd. 2 of us - me & A N Other - had 5,000 chips each @ 200-400. We'd been playing strategically for several orbits.  The other big stack was to my immediate left, & I had walked him every time. Then I picked up K-K, so just min-raised, expecting him to take the hint & fold - & he jammed all-in.  I folded, obv, but it irritated me more than it should have. More with myself, I suppose, for even raising in the first place, but not the brightest play by him, either. Anyway, we got over the line safely in the end.   Oh yeah - & there was 1 £20 game where some roffler jammed 8-3 into my A-J & got there. Won't mention any names, but he's from Derby & famously grumpy. Marv.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Bit similar to the bubble of another game when some old duffer shoved 86 into my A8 and got there 
    #8highlikeaboss