You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    I have no interest in playing poker purely for money, it has to be fun
    Posted by Tikay10
    That may be key to why you have continued playing for so long and appear to still enjoy doing so!

I love the game but have 'had to play' for the financial side for protracted periods in the past and it saps the enjoyment.

I know some people can pull off just playing for the ££'s but I know so many brilliant players who done great in the game and have now totally given it up as they purely played for the financial gains.

A great attitude in general for players to have if they can and something I try to remind myself of constantly.
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Bit similar to the bubble of another game when some old duffer shoved 86 into my A8 and got there  #8highlikeaboss
    Posted by Jac35
    Most satisfying it was, too.

A full oioi was in order.
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Most satisfying it was, too.   A full oioi was in order.
    Posted by Tikay10
    As was me cashing from the 275 chips I had left :)
  • edited February 2017
    Some fun characters around last night 
    One player across a number of tables kept going on about dial and reflex being bots.

I mean, obv they are bots but how did he know so quickly? Admittedly I probs didn't help by agreeing with him every time he said it
  • edited February 2017
    Really missing the banter on the PLO8 tables, but I understand why you need to be playing where you are at the moment.

One of the reg plo8 crowd is currently chat banned which is a shame, I have never seen them with a cross word for anyone, even when being personally abused, but I guess everyone has a tipping point. Managed to get a few questions answered using the time clock to indicate a yes/no answer. Seems it is only temporary.

Spinup points tally is frightening, I really hope that the suits do not see this month of  "sin ups" as a success, for the sake of the game and the bankrolls of the vast majority of people playing them. I guess some people will make an eyewatering profit with a bit of +ve variance but I bet the combined red numbers will be pretty shocking.
  • edited February 2017
    Really missing the banter on the PLO8 tables, but I understand why you need to be playing where you are at the moment. One of the reg plo8 crowd is currently chat banned which is a shame, I have never seen them with a cross word for anyone, even when being personally abused, but I guess everyone has a tipping point. Managed to get a few questions answered using the time clock to indicate a yes/no answer. Seems it is only temporary. Spinup points tally is frightening, I really hope that the suits do not see this month of  "sin ups" as a success, for the sake of the game and the bankrolls of the vast majority of people playing them. I guess some people will make an eyewatering profit with a bit of +ve variance but I bet the combined red numbers will be pretty shocking.
    Posted by Phantom66

Genius :)

• edited February 2017
    Some fun characters around last night  One player across a number of tables kept going on about dial and reflex being bots.   I mean, obv they are bots but how did he know so quickly? Admittedly I probs didn't help by agreeing with him every time he said it
    Posted by Jac35
    You would say that if you were a bot.

All the best to you and Penny.

• edited February 2017
    Really missing the banter on the PLO8 tables, but I understand why you need to be playing where you are at the moment. One of the reg plo8 crowd is currently chat banned which is a shame, I have never seen them with a cross word for anyone, even when being personally abused, but I guess everyone has a tipping point. Managed to get a few questions answered using the time clock to indicate a yes/no answer. Seems it is only temporary. Spinup points tally is frightening, I really hope that the suits do not see this month of  "sin ups" as a success, for the sake of the game and the bankrolls of the vast majority of people playing them. I guess some people will make an eyewatering profit with a bit of +ve variance but I bet the combined red numbers will be pretty shocking.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Wow - I've just realised who that is. I'm shocked.

I tried to chat to him last night, as several players has commented that he was very quiet, but he never replied.

I'm struggling to imagine how he got a Chat Ban, I really am.

If he is reading this - & he might be - hope all is well with you & the family, mate. 

I'm completely bowled over by this news. 

• edited February 2017
    I look forward to latte and sticky bun time.
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Wow - I've just realised who that is. I'm shocked. I tried to chat to him last night, as several players has commented that he was very quiet, but he never replied. I'm struggling to imagine how he got a Chat Ban, I really am.   If he is reading this - & he might be - hope all is well with you & the family, mate.  I'm completely bowled over by this news.     
    Posted by Tikay10
    Been chatting to him and dont think he is chat banned. His laptop not working and been playing on App on tablet.
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Been chatting to him and dont think he is chat banned. His laptop not working and been playing on App on tablet.
    Posted by stuarty117

Ahh, that makes a lot more sense.

Give him my best regards please. He does waffle a lot in the chat box, football, ten pin bowling and general blather, but he is just a lovely bloke enjoying his poker.
  • edited February 2017
    Oops. My bad.

Sorry for starting fake news. So when I thought they were "confirming" they were banned they couldnt even see me asking the question in chat.
  • edited February 2017
    Posted by Phantom66
    I do still have a PLO8 session every single night, but I generally leave once I cant get 3 or 4 tables going. Most of my PLO8 sessions at present are in the 7pm - 9pm window.  
  • edited February 2017

Points earned so far in February - 9,785.

Points per day required to reach 10,000 by month end - 54 per day.

Profit/loss on Month to date - £51.03 profit
  • edited February 2017

After that horrible night on Thursday, my NLH confidence was in bits, but it was exactly the opposite last night & everything fell nicely for me. 

I ran well, hit a lot of big hands which held, played better, & was the fortunate recipient of a few misclicks by others at precisely the time I had big hands.

The final session of the day was 15 x NLH DYM's which went like this;

£10, P7, W4, L3

£15, P4, W3, L1

£20, P4, W4, L0

So a clean sweep, a trifecta even, profitable at all buy ins on the night.

Felt a lot better after that. 

Strange how confidence is so fragile, but that just how it is with me.

I'll probably knock it in shocking today, & be in bits again.

• edited February 2017

So, by around mid-evening tonight, the 10,000 points will be achieved, with 3 & a bit days to spare.

Profitability will be a close run thing, but I still have some reserves up my sleeve - this week's Rewards Payment will be around £70, plus the Prio Payment will be round £110, neither of which are in the figures I quote each day.

I shall be treading carefully today, for sure.

If I get there profitably, expect a chorus of oioi's.  

• edited February 2017

Good luck I hope you make it with a profit, not that it matters much other than for the sense of achievement. When I started out playing it was not unusual for me to make more on rewards/rakeback etc. than at the actual poker. If you look at the rewards and priority payments than that isn't bad for a hobby.

• edited February 2017
    After that horrible night on Thursday, my NLH confidence was in bits, but it was exactly the opposite last night & everything fell nicely for me.  I ran well, hit a lot of big hands which held, played better, & was the fortunate recipient of a few misclicks by others at precisely the time I had big hands. The final session of the day was 15 x NLH DYM's which went like this; £10, P7, W4, L3 £15, P4, W3, L1 £20, P4, W4, L0 So a clean sweep, a trifecta even, profitable at all buy ins on the night.   Felt a lot better after that.  Strange how confidence is so fragile, but that just how it is with me.   I'll probably knock it in shocking today, & be in bits again.    
    Posted by Tikay10

In terms of the confidence thing is this purely on results or do you feel unsure in situations/feel you are getting outplayed. I would of thought over one night with the margins in DYMs and when you play different stakes a good or bad session can just be down to a couple of hands. Lose a couple of flips in the low buy in but win them in the bigger buy in and bottom line looks a lot different.
  • edited February 2017
     Hi guys sorry if i havent replied at the tables. My laptop isnt working so im playing on my phone and cant see chat. I havent been on the forum either. Hope your all well. Stu fo some reason i cant read chat mesages on facebook either, qutie annoying. Hopelly will manage to bring my laptop to store in next wek or so.
  • edited February 2017
    Hi Tikay it has been nice seeing you at the NLH DYM Tables and congrats on prio! I dont play the DYMs to often as there is not to much room for being creative. If you ever fancy a trip to the HU tables I think you would have a lot of fun!
  • edited February 2017
     Hi guys sorry if i havent replied at the tables. My laptop isnt working so im playing on my phone and cant see chat. I havent been on the forum either. Hope your all well. Stu fo some reason i cant read chat mesages on facebook either, qutie annoying. Hopelly will manage to bring my laptop to store in next wek or so.
    Posted by gerardirl

Actucally quite rude
  • edited February 2017

I'm a bit short of time this morning, so will reply to the posts by Mr Bates, Ger, Danny & Stu tomorrow.

For now, though....

• edited February 2017

10218 points gained this month
  • edited February 2017

Profitably (just...), too.

Pretty pleased with that. Or I was until QUICKFEET's post put my efforts into perspective.

Anyway, I'm going to permit myself this.

oioi

• edited February 2017
    Profitably (just...), too. Pretty pleased with that. Or I was until QUICKFEET's post put my efforts into perspective. Anyway, I'm going to permit myself this. oioi  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Well done!

Do you have a plan of attack for next month? More NLHE DYM's? PLO8 DYM's? A mix? or crash the new PLO8 league?

Couldn't agree more regarding quickfeet too! 

The silly things we can worry about sometimes...
  • edited February 2017
    Profitably (just...), too. Pretty pleased with that. Or I was until QUICKFEET's post put my efforts into perspective. Anyway, I'm going to permit myself this. oioi  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Great effort did you stay in profit ? 
  • edited February 2017
    Sorry just reread your post well done on staying in profit 
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : HOW MANY? Strewth alive. No, not in the least tempted to go down the cash route. I do enjoy PLO & PLO8 cash, but prefer to play it "live".   Do you think the DYM traffic has been affected this month by Spinner Winner? Based on this month, I reckon I could make Prio every month if I so desired. (I don't). It's so easy to rack up points at NLH DYM's.    I may have heard it wrong, but a little birdie told me that a bunch of reprobates plan an assault on Vegas this year - you, Batesy, Dog Bloke & Magic Timmy. Yikes, that'd be some team. I plan to be in Vegas on my own account for all of June, so we might just hook up.  I have to say, one thing with this Prio thing & trying to re-learn NLH, the "senior" players have been very encouraging & supportive, good craic, too. Had some great bants with Magic Tim, (& Miss RaRa), Spanky, Reflex, Grumpy Bloke & many others. I have no interest in playing poker purely for money, it has to be fun, & those lads are top top blokes.* * Except Magic Timmy.      
    Posted by Tikay10

All of June you say....
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : All of June you say....
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Perhaps you pair could hit the malls for some clothes shopping, blind leading the blind as they say. ;-)
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Well done! Do you have a plan of attack for next month? More NLHE DYM's? PLO8 DYM's? A mix? or crash the new PLO8 league? Couldn't agreed more with quickfeet too!  The silly things we can worry about sometimes...
    Posted by markycash
    FYP?